Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,089 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why (28934 Views)

Spending 4+ Years In A Nigerian Institution Is A Waste Of Time / What Do U Hate About Ur University Graduating Class? / How Much Do Education Students Pay For Teaching Practice In Ur University? - Uniben=5800 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by buchilino(m): 10:40am On Sep 24, 2016
lastpage:

What most people who say this dont realize is that it is what they learnt in school, that made it 'easy for them" to imbibe what they are taught (fast-mode) in the work place.
Even in advance countries, every fresh worker (trainee) is taken through a series of "apprenticeship training" in the work place!
I am talking about countries with the best educational system.

Now, imagine how it would have been for you, if you have no University education, and they have to take you through the same process.... how easy will itbe for you to follow-up? undecided undecided

That is why l said: University Education OPENS YOUR MIND AND HORIZON FOR UNLIMITED IMAGINATION".

Lastpage!

MY QUESTION IS WHO TAUGHT MR GATES ABOUT MICROSOFT, NOBODY. SECOND, Y DO PPLE DAT STUDY ECONOMICS FIND THEMSELVES IN DEBT, WEN THEY SHOULD NO BETA. EVERY SOCIETY HAVE ITS OWN UNIQUE NATURE. UR MAKING MENTION WESTERN SOCIETIES WGICH FAR DIFFERENT FROM WAT WE C IN AFRICA. DON'T GET ME WRONG, SCHOOLS R OK BUT HERE NIGERIA, WAT WE HAVE R MONEY MAKING ENTERPRISES.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by marxwellerr247(m): 10:46am On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
Do u feel that ur university degree was a waste of time and why. What would u do differently if ur to go back.

Bross u are on point ,

On the other hand , wiskid , patoranking ,timaya ,OLAMIDE ETC
Are busy making serious money

while u kill urself in Nigerian University

Is all bulshit
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by tartar9(m): 10:49am On Sep 24, 2016
Lol...so you think MechEng for example is being able to use a spanner to maintain a car.
Only people who lack creativity and cant think will ever say theory is a waste.Like it or not,education overseas is also largely theoretical.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 10:50am On Sep 24, 2016
hUmaneOne:

do not let these these failures sweet talk you.

For some disciplines your degree can not be a waste. Eg.in Law and medicine's practice you utilize all you are taught in school
Any tom,dick and harry cannot practice those profession without the degree...
you're right but in reality, many people still practice this in this fields without the paper certificates by using other peoples certificate, for example, my mums family are heavily into importation of pharmaceuticals for about two decades now using a relative who is a pharmacist but knows nothing about the pharmaceuticals trading business as a cover, the pharmacist in use is a church rat compared to them and he can't do shit because there's always another pharmacist who would provide the same cover at the same price, a young Guy that apprenticed under the traders actually have more hope of making it more in life than the pharmacist. now deal with that.

1 Like

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by okwyee(m): 10:53am On Sep 24, 2016
Caracta:
My degree is not a waste. I learnt beyond the lectures and tutorials. I didn't limit myself to the 'classroom experience.' It was a life experience for me.
and after all that, you look for a job... be underpaid or owed salaries for months?
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kenny1111: 10:55am On Sep 24, 2016
ghu
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by charcoy2k: 10:55am On Sep 24, 2016
hUmaneOne:

Do you know why many successful people and up going back to school?
Its because there is a limit to the peak of their career and they realise the need for education.

While youths that should treasure education are regretting theirs. cry
successful people like Obasanjo and co. If you make your money, you get your degree hitch free. We are not saying that education is not important, we are only saying that it is for formality nowadays unlike those days that you graduate and a get a job immediately and you are entitled to brand new car loan and house loans.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kenny1111: 10:56am On Sep 24, 2016
hfd
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by mysticgal(f): 10:56am On Sep 24, 2016
WindUpMerchant:
it isnt jare. It'll come in handy someday. no harm in career change. you could just take ur degree as a plus to anything else you want to do in life. don't just take it as a waste of time..see it like a learning process you need to succeed. You almost despise your school programme. weirrrd.
Yes I despise it.... I can't fit help it embarassed
And yes I know it will come in handy......... When I want to bamboozle someborry with English and Latin maxims cheesy
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 10:56am On Sep 24, 2016
lastpage:

Even as a student, we did a lot of "industrial work Experience" Scheme (SIWES) where we were attached to "industries" to learn the "practicals" and see real life experience!.... in addition to the "Practicals" we did in the school laboratory.

Are you not aware that there are "Industry professionals" who also double as lecturers?
They are called "Contract lecturers".
I had a few of them as my own lecturers, over time.

You people just throw figures and statements around or are we talking about University Education in another country?

Lastpage!
my chairman from the building section, i salute you, i will open a special thread later just to answer you.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Abee79(m): 11:01am On Sep 24, 2016
lastpage:

Ignorance is NOT an excuse!

It is called American War College and it awards Masters and Doctorate Degrees, as of TODAY

See below!!

Lastpage!
Correct me if I am wrong. Is that a DIPLOMA am seeing? lipsrsealed
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by PipSurgeon(m): 11:03am On Sep 24, 2016
i dont know what i wud av been outside Medicine. its just the best place to be.. my mind still open to other things sha
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kenny1111: 11:06am On Sep 24, 2016
pls help, how do I post an epistle
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Nobody: 11:07am On Sep 24, 2016
mysticgal:

Yes I despise it.... I can't fit help it embarassed
And yes I know it will come in handy......... When I want to bamboozle someborry with English and Latin maxims cheesy
hahaha! big head.if I slap u ehn. gtfoh jare

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by hUmaneOne: 11:16am On Sep 24, 2016
abouzaid:
you're right but in reality, many people still practice this in this fields without the paper certificates by using other peoples certificate, for example, my mums family are heavily into importation of pharmaceuticals for about two decades now using a relative who is a pharmacist but knows nothing about the pharmaceuticals trading business as a cover, the pharmacist in use is a church rat compared to them and he can't do shit because there's always another pharmacist who would provide the same cover at the same price, a young Guy that apprenticed under the traders actually have more hope of making it more in life than the pharmacist. now deal with that.

I understand your point tho.thanks.

It still didn't make it the right thing to do,worse still encouraging others.
Nigerians are getting smarter and the pharmaceutical council is becoming aware and sooner or later, the head of the business will have to go to school and pharmacy to continue the business.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 11:17am On Sep 24, 2016
marxwellerr247:

Bross u are on point ,

On the other hand , wiskid , patoranking ,timaya ,OLAMIDE ETC
Are busy making serious money

while u kill urself in Nigerian University

Is all bulshit
way back in the days, i always laugh whenever i pass the back of my school music department and see them rehearsing, those guys were just deluding themselves.

1 Like

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 11:22am On Sep 24, 2016
hUmaneOne:

I understand your point tho.thanks.

It still didn't make it the right thing to do,worse still encouraging others.
Nigerians are getting smarter and the pharmaceutical council is becoming aware and sooner or later, the head of the business will have to go to school and pharmacy to continue the business.
i believe it's perfectly legal around the world, even pharmaceutical manufacturing companies are often owned by non pharmacists,they just employ cheap pharmacists to avoid legal troubles, also with the availability of private universities now, their children can easily get degrees in pharmacy as long as they can afford to pay.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Fkhalifa(m): 11:31am On Sep 24, 2016
If your institution or course of study didn't drill you to be practically fit to work your field industry or stand on your own then its a waste of time..

Cramming notes upanda under the pressure of not failing or graduating on time isn't good for the future, unfortunately that's what most of us underwent.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kenny1111: 11:42am On Sep 24, 2016
hmmmm, I quite understand where d OP is coming from and where D OP is tryna land cos iv bin there. to be sincere with u Education is completely unfair to lots in ds country.......let me share my personal experience, I grad 4rm UI in 2010 with a 2.1 in mathematics, done with service in 2013 within 2010-2013 I have spent a huge sum of money on Acca bt when I realized I cant sustain to foot d bill anymore, help was comin from no where, I borrowd to pay 2013 yearly annual due, I was looking so haggard and my life was going SOUTH/BAD so i pause am till date.i was done with fundamentals which is equivalent to first degree 4 those who understand but I had to pause academics and face naija reality

In december 2013, I opened a barber shop and I can tell u today with all boldness dt my friend who are working and earning around 80k cant do yanga 4me cos i can categorically say im better than takn 20k teaching job cos sey i study math, i have job security, got a piece of land, a car, peace of mind and employer of Labour, in my area I know of a barber shop dt pays 30k 4each of his 2 stylist s, ds senior boss makes around 12 to 15k a day, d last tym I check, im paying 15k for mine, the bottom line is i have bin far better doing ds handwork than d first 3yrs wen i was pursuing wht is nt very realistic 4d downtrodded in naija. 4me, I quite agree that there's transfer of knowledge expecially from Acca cos it thought me lots of managerial skils and biznes so it cant be under estimated cos I didnt av 10% idea of barbin, till date i dont barb bt i can cos iv learnt on the job and my shop is now a barbin school with not less than 4 apprentice presently haven't graduated some of them recently and presently working on partnerin with Nysc in state to train interested ajuwaya (not 4free) bt den I bank on my managerial/biz skills. guys, d point is even if i am a ACCA chartered by now, i may remain jobles for countless of yrs in Nigeria, i av lots of chartered ican and acca folks jobless and or either managin with peanuts....A fried of mine av spent almost 2yrs nw after returning 4rm UK he just took up union bank marketin job last month after 2yrs spending millions in UK studyn Msc in system network bla bla bla..... yes, if i av another chance. I will never overlook education as I blv my 2.1 in mathematics will not jst be a waste bt will work d journey differently cos there are so many ways 2b educated so if u are lucky 2gt a job by whatever means after lvn school then remember d last unemployed statistics in naija na 70millions so u are just lucky/grace i made bold 2say.

5 Likes

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by ayobase(m): 11:43am On Sep 24, 2016
vladimiros:
I blame the idiotic nigerian parents for believing in this hype

in germany only 60% of their secondary school grads go to unis, the rest are in technical schools

here we want degree without industrialization

Why calling Parents idiot?

What happens to government?

Will you be effortlessly comfortable with your children dropping out of school.

1 Like

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by mysticgal(f): 11:46am On Sep 24, 2016
WindUpMerchant:
hahaha! big head.if I slap u ehn. gtfoh jare
Lolll grin grin
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Rick9(m): 11:48am On Sep 24, 2016
buchilino:
AM NOT A GRADUATE, BUT WITHOUT ME MANY OF THEM CAN'T BE ABLE 2 FEED THEIR FAMILIES.
Mehn this one strong oh.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by allytinted: 11:55am On Sep 24, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Yes and No....yes because if left with what lecturers taught,then am sorry,its a waste of time because most university lecturers are so obsolete and archaic with the topics they are teachings,too many theory few practical.But then school education has opened my eyes to lots of things and to see beyond the four walls of the school.the problem with most of us is that we base our time on what they teach us in class,and not what goes on outside the class.Connections are there to be made,network with people of like mind,go out socialize a bit, then make your own personal research.Data is cheap a little now.Forget instagram,facebook and linda.who dem epp?.....University is more than what you are taught in class,think broad!!!!
Where Is The Time, Considering The 8-6 Lectures From Monday To Friday And Several Assignments(Of Different Courses Not Partaining To Your Main Course) To Attend To On Weekends. Its Just Not Feasible. They Keep Telling Us To Study Beyond But Not Providing The Required Space And Enviroment.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 12:02pm On Sep 24, 2016
kenny1111:
hmmmm, I quite understand where d OP is coming from and where D OP is tryna land cos iv bin there. to be sincere with u Education is completely unfair to lots in ds country.......let me share my personal experience, I grad 4rm UI in 2010 with a 2.1 in mathematics, done with service in 2013 within 2010-2013 I have spent a huge sum of money on Acca bt when I realized I cant sustain to foot d bill anymore, help was comin from no where, I borrowd to pay 2013 yearly annual due, I was looking so haggard and my life was going SOUTH/BAD so i pause am till date.i was done with fundamentals which is equivalent to first degree 4 those who understand but I had to pause academics and face naija reality

In december 2013, I opened a barber shop and I can tell u today with all boldness dt my friend who are working and earning around 80k cant do yanga 4me cos i can categorically say im better than takn 20k teaching job cos sey i study math, i have job security, got a piece of land, a car, peace of mind and employer of Labour, in my area I know of a barber shop dt pays 30k 4each of his 2 stylist s, ds senior boss makes around 12 to 15k a day, d last tym I check, im paying 15k for mine, the bottom line is i have bin far better doing ds handwork than d first 3yrs wen i was pursuing wht is nt very realistic 4d downtrodded in naija. 4me, I quite agree that there's transfer of knowledge expecially from Acca cos it thought me lots of managerial skils and biznes so it cant be under estimated cos I didnt av 10% idea of barbin, till date i dont barb bt i can cos iv learnt on the job and my shop is now a barbin school with not less than 4 apprentice presently haven't graduated some of them recently and presently working on partnerin with Nysc in state to train interested ajuwaya (not 4free) bt den I bank on my managerial/biz skills. guys, d point is even if i am a ACCA chartered by now, i may remain jobles for countless of yrs in Nigeria, i av lots of chartered ican and acca folks jobless and or either managin with peanuts....A fried of mine av spent almost 2yrs nw after returning 4rm UK he just took up union bank marketin job last month after 2yrs spending millions in UK studyn Msc in system network bla bla bla..... yes, if i av another chance. I will never overlook education as I blv my 2.1 in mathematics will not jst be a waste bt will work d journey differently cos there are so many ways 2b educated so if u are lucky 2gt a job by whatever means after lvn school then remember d last unemployed statistics in naija na 70millions so u are just lucky/grace i made bold 2say.
I'm feeling you bro,i think you consider moving abroad for your postgraduate studies, a friend with a 2.1 in mathematics did so many years ago,she didn't even spend more than three months in nysc,check it out online and probably go for a direct PhD since it would likely be free in your field. however, consider buying or ddownloading some books first to brush up yourself first since what we learn in schools here are usually inadequate.

1 Like

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 12:05pm On Sep 24, 2016
allytinted:

Where Is The Time, Considering The 8-6 Lectures From Monday To Friday And Several Assignments(Of Different Courses Not Partaining To Your Main Course) To Attend To On Weekends. Its Just Not Feasible. They Keep Telling Us To Study Beyond But Not Providing The Required Space And Enviroment.
they even keep introducing more useless and unrelated courses like to worsen the situation. i just tire for the Nigerian educational system.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kenny1111: 12:10pm On Sep 24, 2016
kenny1111:

im still typing, nairaland wont allow me to post at once, so im going to post rest separatly
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Saint52(m): 12:19pm On Sep 24, 2016
Before i graduated, my friend who was studying computer science, started using compute from 300L, to me is a waste of time, Most especially NYSC
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by kenny1111: 12:21pm On Sep 24, 2016
I will like add ds, in my street there are lots of civil servants, educated folks up and down bt jst come 2d street at 9yt u wil realized 80% of houses where u fill see

1 Like

Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by babyfaceafrica: 12:24pm On Sep 24, 2016
allytinted:

true but if you limit social functions,you will still find space and time
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 12:31pm On Sep 24, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
true but if you limit social functions,you will still find space and time
i was a geeky student with no social life yet i had no time to learn office machine repairs.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by Ugosample(m): 12:31pm On Sep 24, 2016
lastpage:

I am happy that there are Graduates/Students like the two people l have quoted above.

I have also read the post of a few people, who said "their University Education is a WASTE"!
shocked shocked

Well, l feel really sorry for these types because there problem is actually not the University education but a combination of Acute Ignorance, Mental Laziness and Bad Advice.

Let me explain:

1.) IGNORANCE: Those folks that think a University graduate is supposed to be able to 'open a vehicle's Engine like a road-side mechanic or run wire from Nepa Pole are just ignorant of what University education is all about.

For the avoidance of doubt, University education is just to OPEN YOUR MIND TO THE POINT WHERE IT IS CAPABLE OF "IMAGINING ANYTHING" (CONCEPTUALISATION) ............BECAUSE IF IT CAN BE "IMAGINED", IT CAN BE DEVELOPED.
Forget the fact that we live in an environment where that "imagination" is not DEVELOPED due to lack of basic infrastructure... but that is a problem of "Bad Governance" perpetuated mainly by CORRUPTION, ....not "bad" University education!

So, these folks are ignorant of why they went to the University. Plain and Simple.

2.) MENTAL LAZINESS: It is often said that "No knowledge is wasted".
This means that once you imbibe KNOWLEDGE, there is ALWAYS something you can do with it.
University education, by "opening your critical mind", imbibes knowledge in you.

But what you do with that knowledge, is a function of whether you are mentally lazy or not.

Take for example, that one that said he is studying Computer Sc. and "knows nothing" about programming!
First, there are many areas of Computer Science and programming/Coding is only one of those speciality.
There is Networking, Web-design, Hardware, to mention just a few.
So, not until you get to maybe part three of your study, would you start "specialising" in a particular area.

But this does not stop "mentally hardworking students" from broadening their knowledge, on their own.
Just like the mentally lazy Accounting students graduate with just a BSc, the intelligent and "mentally aware" amongst them will have finished their ACCA/ICAN or be in the final level, when they are graduating!

I know many Computer Sc undergraduates who have completed and bagged many Certification courses like A+, Network+, MCSE, Cisco Certifications, e.t.c........ to position themselves for the future!
But the mentally lazy ones just go for lecture, finish lecture and dump their books on the table till the next day
. undecided

While the University "opens your mind and broadens your horizon", it is your own personal duty to take it a step further.... or not.

BAD ADVICE: One thing we have to admit is that those who are not "at home" with their course of study, hardly excel in it.
Most students either chose a course because that is what their JAMB Score will permit, or because they erroneously think "that course sells/will make money" (money-centric students) or the course is what "Mummy/Daddy wants them to do".

Most have no idea what the course is about when they accepted the admission letter or have a misconceived notion of what it is about.

If for example, you are somebody who likes to tinker with objects (and you are good with your hands) , one who likes to open up and re-assemble things, why on earth are you in the University studying Mathematics? shocked shocked
You should be at a Technical College, studying "craftsmanship" like Autoworks, Woodwork, Radionic, Plumbing, Roofer........ all at professional level, with certifications to boot.

But you either listened to bad advice, had a wrong orientation (Money! Money!!) or were too desperate to enter University that year when you knew your JAMB performance is still not up to the "cut-off point" of what your heart really wanted to study.
You accepted a wrong course that does not compliment and accentuate your innate abilities! undecided undecided

We can also not discount those group of "students who passed through the University" but "the University DID NOT pass through them".
These group of students are the lazy, unserious and are usaully the "happening guys" on Campus.
They dont apply themselves to study .....or any form of "acquisition of knowledge", while on campus.
All their years were used in cheating to pass exams (Expo, Scrunje, Oodu, micro-chip, Gbeere, e.t.c).
They bribed lecturers, threaten them and did about anything (except study) to pass exams.

When they leave School, these group of students are "lost" as to why they even went to the University because "they came out, the way they went in,..... except for their age"! grin grin

These sort will tell you that University education is a waste, if they happen to "jam money", in a very corrupt and decadent society.

How then do you turn around to blame University Education for your woes when it has nothing to do with it?

Like the two people l quoted above, l am a testament to sound University education (having convocated five times! .... (at various levels) from the prestigious Unilag while still pursuing a Law degree as a mature student, and concurrently a Professional in one of the Security Arms ).

Let no one fool you, YOU are what you make of your University Degree.
Like we say, "A Bad worker blames his tools".

Nuff said.

Lastpage!

PS: the above post is meant to encourage those who will decide to properly purse their University degree(s)...... undecided undecided

I gotta say, this is a brilliant post.
Re: Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why by abouzaid: 12:35pm On Sep 24, 2016
kenny1111:
I will like add ds, in my street there are lots of civil servants, educated folks up and down bt jst come 2d street at 9yt u wil realized 80% of houses where u fill see
bros, please retype and edit for better comprehension,thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

UNILAG's Ayodele Dada About To Be Evicted From His Home Over Rent / ASUU Rejects 35% Salary Increase For Professors; Wants 100% / Robbers Invade TASUED Hostels, Rape 4 Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.