Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,966 members, 7,821,392 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional (29300 Views)

The Word For Today, 2015 - A Daily Devotional / The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:42am On Jan 26, 2013
26 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

ARE YOU STRESSED OUT ABOUT MONEY? (2)

‘…I am the Lord…who teaches you to profit…’ ISAIAH 48:17 NAS

2013-01-26

The best way to overcome financial anxiety is by trusting God to meet all your needs. You say, ‘That’s nice, but what does God know about my business?’ More than you think! He’s the CEO of the whole world. When it comes to successful systems, nobody knows more than He. He created the universe in such precise order that if one star moves two degrees out of orbit without His permission; the whole thing dissolves into cosmic chaos. Yet when He needs to move a star, He can do it like He did for the wise men that first Christmas. Wall Street could learn a thing or two from Him! Here’s part of His résumé: ‘I am the Lord your God, who teaches you to profit, Who leads you in the way you should go.’ If you want to become more profitable, go into partnership with God. Does that mean you can just stay home from work, go fishing, and God will pay your mortgage? No, God doesn’t reward laziness and inefficiency! The story’s told of a pastor who stopped by to admire the garden of one of his parishioners. ‘Isn’t God’s handiwork wonderful?’ he said. The parishioner thought about it for a moment and then replied, ‘Yeah, but you should have seen it when God had it all by Himself.’ Understand this: 1) You’ve got to get up and go to work. 2) You’ve got to consult God before you make decisions. 3) You’ve got to honour God with your tithes and offerings (Malachi 3:8-12). 4) When you’ve done your best, you’ve got to trust God with the rest.

Numbers 3:1 - 4:33 , Matthew 10:21-31, Psalm 104:1-23, Proverbs 3:9-10

TODAY'S PRAYER - FROM PRAYER FOR TODAY MAGAZINE

PRAYING FOR UCB

PSALM 148:6

Over the past three years, we at UCB have hosted Volume Two of the ‘Million Leaders Mandate’ leadership training course.  The new course starts in May 2013.  Pray that God will prompt key leaders who He wants to bring into this training, and that they will book in well in advance of the start date.  Pray for those preparing to deliver the course, that they will have time and space to hear God’s word for this new season.

About Prayer for Today

WHICH GROUPS IN YOUR LOCAL COMMUNITY ARE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST? WHAT CAN YOU DO TO BLESS AND SUPPORT THEM THIS WEEK
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:34pm On Jan 27, 2013
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

SHOW YOUR LOVE NOW!

‘…He has commanded us to love one another…’

2 JOHN 1:6

2013-01-27

Each morning pray: ‘Lord, whether or not I get anything else done, help me to spend this day loving You and loving others, because that’s what Your Word says life is all about.’ If you do that, you’ll treat those around you more graciously. And people will notice it. You’ll start winning in areas where you’ve lost. The more time you give to someone, the more you reveal their importance to you. It’s not enough to tell them they’re important, you must prove it by investing in them. The best way to spell love is T-I-M-E. Love is not what you think or feel about others; no, it’s how much you give of yourself to them. Men in particular struggle with this. They say, ‘I don’t understand my wife and children. I provide everything they need. What more could they want?’ They want you! They want your attention! Love concentrates so intently on another that it forgets itself. This kind of attention says, ‘I value you enough to give you my most precious asset—my time.’ Why is now the best time to express your love? Because you don’t know how long you’ll have the opportunity to do so. Circumstances change, people die, children grow up. The truth is, you’ve no guarantee of tomorrow. If you want to express your love you’d better do it now. So, who do you need to start spending more time with? What do you need to cut out of your schedule to make that possible? The best use of life is love, the best expression of love is time, and the best time to love is now.

Exodus 20:8-11 , Isaiah 58:13-14, Luke 4:16, Hebrews 10:19-25

PRAYER & ME

2 JOHN 1:6

Are you prepared to be the answer to your prayers, or do you treat prayer more as a transaction in which you hand everything over to God to sort out?  Sometimes, no sooner have we said: ‘Lord please do such-and-such’ than God replies: ‘I’d like you to do that actually!’Lord, I want to be a partner in Your work today.  Show me where I need to be the answer to my own prayers for other people.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:17am On Jan 29, 2013
28 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

LEARNING TO WALK BY FAITH (1)

‘For we walk by faith, not by sight.’

2 CORINTHIANS 5:7

2013-01-28.

It’s time to ‘get with it’, when God tells you the same thing three separate times: ‘The just shall live by faith’ (Habakkuk 2:4; Romans 1:17; Galatians 3:11). This is not a suggestion for theological debate; it’s His will for your life. Clearly, God has made faith the only way to live! No alternative is offered. ‘Without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him’ (Hebrews 11:6 NIV). Let’s take a moment and consider some questions arising from this life-transforming truth: 1) Who are ‘the just’? Paul writes, ‘Know that a person is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith…’ (Galatians 2:16 NIV). Justification (just-as-if-I’d-never-sinned) can’t be earned, it’s a free gift that comes by faith. If you have placed your trust in Christ then you are fully accepted in God’s eyes. How good is that? 2) What is ‘walking’? Paul says, ‘We walk by faith and not by sight.’ Walking requires that you get up and start moving. You can’t just sit around aimlessly, waiting for the rapture. Walking involves: Motivation—you’re moved by a purpose. Direction—you’ve chosen a destination, a goal to reach. Motion—you’re committed to mobilising your energy and resources in the pursuit of your God-given destination and purpose. To walk by faith you must be engaged in consistent, forward movement intended to bring you into God’s destiny for your life.

Numbers 4:34 - 6:27 , Matthew 10:32-42, Psalm 104:24-35, Proverbs 3:11-12

DROUGHT IN SOMALILAND

PSALM 20:1

Gursho looks after her son’s six children.  He used to keep animals – 100 camels and 200 goats - but they’ve all died in the drought.  Now her son has left town to look for work – although he has yet to find any.  Her youngest grandchild, Shuciab, is malnourished, so thank the Lord Gursho receives food for her as part of our supplementary feeding programme.  Pray that we will be able to help many more such families
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:19am On Jan 29, 2013
29 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

LEARNING TO WALK BY FAITH (2)

‘…I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!’

MARK 9:24

2013-01-29

Here is another question to consider: What is ‘walking by sight’ (2 Corinthians 5:7)? It’s living your life based on how things look to the natural eye. It’s deciding and acting in accord with your perceptions and circumstances, rather than God’s Word. It’s being dictated to by your feelings and thoughts. Your thoughts and feelings are—yours! Examine them. Don’t let them hijack you. Use your spirit-controlled temperament to bring them under control. Too often we are sandwiched between faith and doubt, in a ‘catch-22’ between what our transformed spirit says and what our carnal mind says. One day a distraught father brought his son to Jesus for healing. Jesus told him, ‘…Everything is possible for one who believes’ (Mark 9:23 NIV). At that point the boy’s father said, ‘I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!’ At times we experience both faith and doubt. This man was honest about his doubts, yet Jesus still worked a miracle for him. If he had needed correcting, Jesus would have corrected him. If his faith was not genuine, the Lord would have known it. But Jesus accepted his declaration of faith, despite his doubts. There are three lessons here for us: 1) Don’t be afraid to acknowledge your doubts. 2) Don’t let your doubts overrule your faith. God’s Word in the matter is God’s will for you; stand on it. 3) Hand your doubts over to the Lord and say, ‘I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!’ How long does it take to learn to walk by faith? A lifetime!

Numbers 7 , Matthew 11:1-9, Psalm 107:1-9, Proverbs 3:13-18

DROUGHT IN SOMALILAND

PSALM 20:1

Gursho looks after her son’s six children.  He used to keep animals – 100 camels and 200 goats - but they’ve all died in the drought.  Now her son has left town to look for work – although he has yet to find any.  Her youngest grandchild, Shuciab, is malnourished, so thank the Lord Gursho receives food for her as part of our supplementary feeding programme.  Pray that we will be able to help many more such families.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:11am On Jan 30, 2013
30 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

LEARNING TO WALK BY FAITH (3)

‘Faith comes from hearing the message…through the word…’

ROMANS 10:17

2013-01-30

What does it mean to ‘walk by faith…’ (2 Corinthians 5:7 NAS)? It’s radically different from walking by sight, reason, emotion or intellect. It calls you to live above these things. It enables you to enter the realm of supernatural possibilities because Jesus said, ‘All things are possible to one who believes’ (Mark 9:23 ESV). Here are some scriptural principles about faith that will help you: 1) It is not rooted in human effort. Self-confidence and intellectual acumen don’t qualify. Optimism, good luck and social connections don’t qualify. Learning religious formulas won’t do it either. 2) It’s rooted in God’s unlimited power and unchanging Word. ‘Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the Word.’ The Word of God, received and residing within you, continuously produces faith within you. No teeth-gritting super-effort is required; you simply decide to believe what God says and respond to it. 3) Walking by faith calls for action. ‘Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds’ (James 2:18 NIV). Until you act, your faith is useless. ‘In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead’ (v. 17 NIV). The moment you act your faith springs to life, inviting God to move on your behalf. Today He’s waiting for you to act so that He can respond to you. Even if you don’t feel like it, ask yourself, ‘What would my first step of faith be if I really felt like taking action?’ Do it! You’ll be walking by faith and reaping the rewards! (Hebrews 11:6).

Numbers 8-10 , Matthew 11:10-19, Psalm 107:10-16, Proverbs 3:19-20

DISEASE IN SOUTH SUDAN

PSALM 40:11

Praise God that our team continues to save lives at the kala-azar treatment centre in Jiech, Jonglei State, South Sudan.  Kala-azar is a deadly disease transmitted to humans by the bite of infected female sandflies.  A recent mass mosquito net distribution (to help prevent kala-azar) covered nearly 5,000 families with two nets each.  Pray that these families will understand the importance of using the nets, and will help spread awareness of this disease around ..
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:28am On Feb 01, 2013
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

GOD IS WORKING OUT HIS PLAN FOR YOU

‘I make known the end from the beginning...’

Isaiah 46:10

2013-01-31

You are not a mistake your parents made in the heat of passion. What your parents did may have been illegitimate, but you are not. You may wonder: ‘God, is it possible that You have a reason for my conception? Am I called to do something great in life? Is there something so unique to my personality, so connected to my life experiences, so relative to my sphere of influence, so dependent upon my colour and culture, so necessary to my needs and shortcomings that nobody can do it exactly the way You want it done but me?’ Yes. God

says, ‘I make known the end from the beginning…My purpose will stand.’ You are going to succeed because God has already determined your destiny. Before God establishes the procedure, He decides the purpose. When a builder is confused he refers back to the blueprint and checks with the architect. God is the architect and builder of your life. He never gets confused about what He’s planned or how it’s to be built. When He builds something, it’s built for maximum efficiency and optimal performance. We think, ‘Lord, why are You holding me back while others get to go forward? Why is it taking so long for my breakthrough to come?’ God responds, ‘What does the blueprint say?’ God is building a solid foundation under you so that you’ll be able to handle the pressures that accompany His blessing, and go through the storms of life without being moved or shaken. Anything that’s made well is made slowly. Anything that’s worth having is worth fighting for.

Numbers 11-13 , Matthew 11:20-30, Psalm 107:17-22, Proverbs 3:21-24

NEIGHBOUR FRIDAY

Lord, I pray for all the churches in my area, and ask that You would help us to live, work and worship together in unity.  Plant in us the conviction that we need each other, and as we serve our community together, please multiply our efforts, so that we have an even greater impact for good in the streets around where we live. This week, can you pray a blessing on a church you don't go to?
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:33am On Feb 01, 2013
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

GOD IS WORKING OUT HIS PLAN FOR YOU

‘I make known the end from the beginning...’

Isaiah 46:10

2013-01-31

You are not a mistake your parents made in the heat of passion. What your parents did may have been illegitimate, but you are not. You may wonder: ‘God, is it possible that You have a reason for my conception? Am I called to do something great in life? Is there something so unique to my personality, so connected to my life experiences, so relative to my sphere of influence, so dependent upon my colour and culture, so necessary to my needs and shortcomings that nobody can do it exactly the way You want it done but me?’ Yes. God

says, ‘I make known the end from the beginning…My purpose will stand.’ You are going to succeed because God has already determined your destiny. Before God establishes the procedure, He decides the purpose. When a builder is confused he refers back to the blueprint and checks with the architect. God is the architect and builder of your life. He never gets confused about what He’s planned or how it’s to be built. When He builds something, it’s built for maximum efficiency and optimal performance. We think, ‘Lord, why are You holding me back while others get to go forward? Why is it taking so long for my breakthrough to come?’ God responds, ‘What does the blueprint say?’ God is building a solid foundation under you so that you’ll be able to handle the pressures that accompany His blessing, and go through the storms of life without being moved or shaken. Anything that’s made well is made slowly. Anything that’s worth having is worth fighting for.

Numbers 11-13 , Matthew 11:20-30, Psalm 107:17-22, Proverbs 3:21-24

NEIGHBOUR FRIDAY

Lord, I pray for all the churches in my area, and ask that You would help us to live, work and worship together in unity.  Plant in us the conviction that we need each other, and as we serve our community together, please multiply our efforts, so that we have an even greater impact for good in the streets around where we live. This week, can you pray a blessing on a church you don't go to?
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:35am On Feb 01, 2013
1 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

TO SUCCEED IN LIFE

‘Open my eyes, that I may see…’

Psalms 119 : 18

To succeed in life: 1) You must refuse to settle for yesterday’s accomplishments. If what you did yesterday still looks big to you today, you probably haven’t done enough today. Paul celebrated his accomplishments, but he focused on what God had for him in the future: ‘…Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on…’ (Philippians 3:13-14 NLT). 2) You must refuse to sit around waiting for tomorrow’s opportunities. Between the great things we can’t do and the little things we won’t do, the danger is that we’ll do nothing. The world is blessed most by those who do things, not by those who merely talk about doing them. 3) You must refuse to let your beginning dictate your end. George Washington Carver spent his early years shuffled between foster homes until, it is thought, Maria Watkins, a washerwoman, found him asleep in her barn. She didn’t just take him in; she took him to church and introduced him to Jesus. When he eventually left her home, he took with him the Bible she’d given him. Maria left her mark on his life, and George left his mark on the world. This father of modern agriculture was a friend to three presidents as well as Henry Ford and Gandhi. He is credited with over three hundred different inventions. And the remarkable thing is, despite his disadvantages, he never became bitter or spent so much as a moment getting even. Instead, he went into his lab every morning and prayed, ‘Open my eyes that I may see.’ How could God fail to bless someone with such an attitude?

Numbers 14-15, Matthew 12:1-14, Psalm 107:23-32 , Proverbs 3:25-26

NEIGHBOUR FRIDAY

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by Onyinyechimara(f): 6:10pm On Feb 03, 2013
Lateef, we dey wait o.........
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2013
I know I've not been so regular with posting daily on this thread . I apologize ...

2 Likes

Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:07pm On Feb 03, 2013
2 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

ANGELS

‘…Some people have entertained angels without knowing it.’

Hebrews 13:2

2013-02-02

When we talk about angels operating among us, the spiritually unenlightened think it’s just religious sentiment. That’s because they allow their intellect to neutralise their faith. Notice: 1) Angels have a long history among us. An angel shut the mouths of lions for Daniel. An angel went before Israel’s army guaranteeing their victory. An angel showed up in a storm to let Paul know that he’d survive a shipwreck. An angel opened prison doors for Peter, saving his life on the eve of his execution. 2) Angels protect us in times of danger. ‘For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways’ (Psalms 91:11 NIV). And when you consider some of your ‘ways,’ don’t you realise just how much you need protection? Your early cancer detection, or your narrow escape—those were more than just lucky breaks. Angels even watch over our children. Jesus said, ‘See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels… always see the face of my Father in heaven’ (Matthew 18:10 NIV). Now you know why kids survive things that make parents go weak at the knees. 3) Angels help us in times of need. ‘Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?’ (Hebrews 1:14 NIV). So, has God done away with His secret service? Are they sitting on their hands claiming Jobseekers Allowance somewhere in heaven? No, they’re still working hard. You may not be able to see them with your natural eyes, but the benefits they bring surround you every day.

Numbers 16-18, Matthew 12:15-21, Psalm 107:33-43 , Proverbs 3:27-28

PRAYER & ME

An attitude of contentment changes the way we pray.  Instead of focusing all our energy in prayer on what we don’t have, we make space to remember what He has given; instead of focusing on what we need, we thank Him for meeting our needs, then focus on what others need.  Lord, I ask You to help me plant seeds of gratitude and compassion in my heart which will grow up into strong, deep contentment.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:14pm On Feb 03, 2013
3 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

CONTENTMENT

‘…with these we shall be content.’

1Timothy 6:8

2013-02-03. 

Contentment isn’t something you find at a particular destination, it’s something you practice every day on your way to it. And even if you miss the right path from time to time, you still enjoy the scenery along the detour. Paul said, ‘Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content’ (Philippians 4:11 NKJV). Paul learned not to let what he didn’t have, overshadow what he did. How do you find contentment? By doing these three things: 1) Seek it. Make it a daily choice. Come to the place where you believe that having more materially, won’t make you happier. Sometimes contentment calls for simplifying your life. Benjamin Franklin said, ‘Contentment makes poor men rich, and discontent makes rich men poor.’ 2) Say it. Cultivate the ability to say, ‘I have enough.’ Push back from life’s table and say, ‘I’ve had enough.’ Stand with the surprise bonus in your hand considering what you might buy, and say, ‘I have enough, Lord. How can I use this for You?’ 3) Settle it. ‘…If riches increase, do not set your heart upon them’ (Psalms 62:10 NAS). If all the grains of sand on all the beaches of the world represented eternity, you could say that one grain represents your lifespan. Now think: You are over here grinding your one grain day and night to get everything you can out of it, while ignoring all the beaches of eternity that God has in store for you. Not very clever, is it? To be content, focus on eternity. Let enough be enough. Let your lifestyle be biblically-based; make it eternally focused!

Exodus 20:12, Jeremiah 35:1-19, Proverbs 1:8 , John 19:25-26

PRAYER & ME

An attitude of contentment changes the way we pray.  Instead of focusing all our energy in prayer on what we don’t have, we make space to remember what He has given; instead of focusing on what we need, we thank Him for meeting our needs, then focus on what others need.  Lord, I ask You to help me plant seeds of gratitude and compassion in my heart which will grow up into strong, deep contentment.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:04am On Feb 05, 2013
4 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

JESUS—IS GOD!

‘…What do you think about…Christ?...’

Matthew 22:42

2013-02-04

One day Jesus took Peter, James and John up to the top of a mountain. We read: ‘…Moses and Elijah appeared and began talking with Jesus…Peter…blurted out, ‘Master…Let’s make three shelters as memorials—one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah’’ (Luke 9:30-33 NLT). Peter’s thinking was wrong. Three shrines would have made Moses and Elijah equal with Jesus. Nobody is equal with Jesus! He is wholly, solely, fully, thoroughly and altogether God. When God spoke from heaven that day, Moses the lawgiver, Elijah the prophet, Peter the preacher, James the apostle and John the revelator were all present. But God didn’t say, ‘Listen to them.’ No, He said, ‘…This is my beloved Son: hear him’ (Luke 9:35 KJV). Jesus knew exactly who He was. When His accusers shouted, ‘You claim you are the Son of God,’ …He replied, ‘Yes…’ (Luke 22:70 TLB). He actually said, ‘…He that hath seen me hath seen the Father…’ (John 14:9 KJV). Then He blew their minds by predicting both His death and His resurrection (John 10:18). Let’s be clear about this: You can discount Jesus as a fraud or worship Him as God, but don’t call Him just another historic figure. C. S. Lewis said, ‘A man who said the things that Jesus said wouldn’t be a great moral teacher. He’d either be a lunatic or the devil. You can spit at Him, kill Him, or fall at His feet and call Him Lord, but let’s not come up with patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher.’ So, what do you think about Christ? Is He the Lord of your life? He wants to be.

Numbers 19-21, Matthew 12:22-37, Psalm 111 , Proverbs 3:29-30

PEOPLE OF LONGING

Pray that we would be filled with a compulsion to run to the presence of God.  We can’t do this from a position of condemnation or by someone else making us feel guilty, but pray today that each of us would personally become thirsty and hungry for the presence of God, that we would run to His presence because that is where we find Him.  Pray for yourself today, for a renewed spiritual thirst.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:57am On Feb 06, 2013
5 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

LIVING FEARLESSLY (1)

‘…You are my servant; I have chosen you…’

Isaiah 41:9

2013-02-05

Have you ever wondered how animal trainers used to control a five-tonne elephant and keep it from running away? They did it by controlling the animal’s thinking. When a baby elephant was being trained, a rope was put around its leg and then tied to a wooden post secured in the ground. The elephant, which was not yet very strong, pulled at the rope but was unable to break it or to pull up the post. Eventually it gave up. From that point forward when the elephant’s leg was secured it believed it couldn’t get away—even though it was fully capable of escaping, and had been for a long time. It remembered its struggle. That’s one reason it’s said, ‘Elephants never forget.’ And we are like that too. Our thinking limits us, just as an elephant’s does. Usually it’s because of fear. The truth is fear can steal your dreams. You may be afraid of failure. You may be afraid of rejection. You may not want to make a fool of yourself. You may be afraid of trying because you believe you can’t succeed. If you give in to these thoughts and believe that you can’t achieve your dream, you’ll be right—and therefore unable to achieve your dream. Often what we fear has no connection to reality. But here’s the good news: Fear can be overcome. The first step to overcoming it is to believe God when He says about you: ‘…You are my servant; I have chosen you…do not fear, for I am with you…I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand’ (vv. 9-10 NIV).

Numbers 22-24, Matthew 12:38-50, Psalm 108 , Proverbs 3:31-32

PEOPLE OF ENGAGEMENT

As we watch the news, read the papers and surf the web, we very soon become aware of a world that needs God.  Yet somewhere in this bombardment of information we can suffer with ‘compassion fatigue’ – becoming immune to the suffering of this world.  In protecting ourselves from so much brokenness, our hearts become hard.  Pray that the Lord would once again soften our hearts to the brokenness of humanity that surrounds us.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 11:44pm On Feb 06, 2013
6 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

LIVING FEARLESSLY (2)

‘…‘Do not fear, for I am with you…’’

Isaiah 41:10

2013-02-06

The words ‘fear not’ appear in the Bible all the way from Genesis to Revelation. Why is that? Because God understands that fear is not only our biggest enemy but our constant companion, and He wants to help us overcome it. One author writes: ‘Think of your comfort zone as a prison you live in—a largely self-created prison. It consists of a collection of “can’ts, musts, must-nots,” and other unfounded beliefs formed from all the negative thoughts and decisions you have accumulated and reinforced during your lifetime. Every fear is like a bar in that prison.’ But the good news is, because fears are feelings, the faulty ones can be removed by faith in God, and you can become free from them. Does this mean you can live totally free from fear? No, writer Michael Ignatieff says: ‘Living fearlessly is not the same thing as never being afraid. It’s good to be afraid occasionally. Fear is a great teacher. What’s not good is living in fear, allowing fear to dictate your choices, allowing fear to define who you are. Living fearlessly means standing up to fear, taking its measure, refusing to let it shape and define your life. Living fearlessly means taking risks, taking gambles, not playing it safe. It means refusing to take ‘no’ for an answer when you are sure that the answer should have been ‘yes.’ It means refusing to settle for less than what you’re due, what is yours by right, what is yours by the sweat of your labour and your effort.’ And let’s add—what God has promised and planned for you.

Numbers 25-26, Matthew 13:1-9, Psalm 120 , Prov 3:33-35

PEOPLE OF ENGAGEMENT

As we watch the news, read the papers and surf the web, we very soon become aware of a world that needs God.  Yet somewhere in this bombardment of information we can suffer with ‘compassion fatigue’ – becoming immune to the suffering of this world.  In protecting ourselves from so much brokenness, our hearts become hard.  Pray that the Lord would once again soften our hearts to the brokenness of humanity that surrounds us.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by Emmaesty(f): 5:15pm On Feb 07, 2013
Nice thread
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:06am On Feb 08, 2013
7 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

LIVING FEARLESSLY (3)

‘…I will uphold you with my…right hand.’

Isaiah 41:10

2013-02-07

When you know that what you’re doing is in sync with God’s will, you can be confident He will provide what you need and fight for you. God told His people, ‘When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you’ (Deuteronomy 20:1 NIV). Then God added something else: ‘…Is any man afraid or fainthearted? Let him go home so that his brothers will not become disheartened too’ (Deuteronomy 20:8 NIV). God knows that when you allow fear to rule your heart, it’s fatal, not only for you, but to those around you. Playwright David Mamet wrote: ‘On June 5th, 1944, thousands of American paratroopers jumped into Normandy. Four men refused to jump. Can anyone imagine the rest of these men’s lives? What prodigies of self-excuse, rationale, or repression they must have had to employ. Their lives, in effect, ended the day they refused to leave that plane…We all die in the end, but there’s no reason to die in the middle.’ You don’t overcome fear overnight. But gradually, day by day, you can get it by the scruff of the neck and bring it under control. ‘…the people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great exploits’ (Daniel 11:32 NKJV). The word ‘know’ means ‘to be in relationship with, or to be intimate with.’ Want to overcome your fears? Spend time in God’s Word. Prioritise your prayer life. Get to know God better.

Numbers 30:1 - 32:24, Matthew 13:24-35, Psalm 125 , Proverbs 4:3-4

NEIGHBOUR FRIDAY

As marriage week begins, take time to pray for those on your street who are married.  Pray particularly for those who are finding that the stresses and anxieties of everyday life are corroding the quality of their relationship with one another.  Pray that they will be able to find time and space together.  Is there anything you can do to make life easier for a married couple in your street this weekend?
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:12am On Feb 08, 2013
8 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

DEALING WITH TEMPTATION

‘…When you are tempted, he will…provide a way out…’

1 Corinthians 10:13

2013-02-08

Temptation brings with it feelings of guilt. As a result we get discouraged and think, ‘If I were a better Christian I wouldn’t have such thoughts. I’ve prayed, over and over. Why doesn’t God just take it away?’ Temptation never goes away! Prayer doesn’t remove it, prayer just drives you closer to God and He gives you power over it. ‘Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you’ (James 4:7 NIV). The Bible says, ‘The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand…he will show you a way out so…you can endure’ (1Corinthians 10:13 NLT). When you’re tempted you never have to wonder what the right thing to do is. God makes His will clear in Scripture and He’s given us His Spirit to convict, guide, and empower us. Plus, we can ‘…approach the throne of grace with confidence…and find grace to help us in our time of need’ (Hebrews 4:16 NIV). Richard Blackaby writes: ‘It’s a mistake not to take temptation seriously. Many who’ve succumbed, thought they were strong enough to resist…When wickedness surrounds you, never assume you’re immune…remove [yourself] from temptation’s way…“Put away the evil from among you” (Deuteronomy 22:21 NKJV). Keep any form of temptation out of your home, your relationships and your mind by maintaining your love relationship with God and recognising you’re powerless to resist in your own strength. When Joseph was tempted to commit adultery he fled (Genesis 39:12). Darkness and light can’t co-exist. Run from the darkness to the light.’’

Numbers 30:1 - 32:24, Matthew 13:24-35, Psalm 125 , Proverbs 4:3-4

NEIGHBOUR FRIDAY

As marriage week begins, take time to pray for those on your street who are married.  Pray particularly for those who are finding that the stresses and anxieties of everyday life are corroding the quality of their relationship with one another.  Pray that they will be able to find time and space together.  Is there anything you can do to make life easier for a married couple in your street this weekend?
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by Flawlessdiva1(f): 5:14am On Feb 09, 2013
Hi, how can I be a distributor or get a copy in the East. My usual suppliers got none for now.
I have not heard of Prayer for today magazine, where can I get that too? Thanks.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:56pm On Feb 09, 2013
Hello Flawles~diva,

I'm not one of their distributors and I don't even know how to get a copy . Copies of the devotion is normally brought to our office then before Intercontinental issues with CBN .

What I'm doing here is just to copy directly from their website .I'll try and post the link to the site here......

You can also go there and assist to paste here to enrich lives everyday in our walk with Jesus .

Stay connected to Him and remain bless !
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:59pm On Feb 09, 2013
9 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

MAKE YOUR CHILDREN PROUD OF YOU

‘…Parents are the pride of their children.’

Proverbs 17:6

2013-02-09 

Your child is already in the process of becoming the kind of person he or she is eventually going to be. So to bring them up right and to make them proud of you, live by these six principles: 1) Assure them of your love. They need to know your love is given, and it will never be withdrawn because of their appearance, achievements, or actions. Let them know they are loved for who they are, and that their worth in your eyes is never in question. 2) Build strong character and godly values. ‘Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it’ (Proverbs 22:6 NLT). 3) Establish clear boundaries. And be consistent in maintaining them. Do children like rules? No. But your first goal is not to make your child happy, it’s to teach them responsibility, and happiness will follow. 4) Help them to discover their potential. That means listening, observing, and once their talents are identified, helping to develop them. ‘We have different gifts, according to the grace given us…’ (Romans 12:6 NIV). 5) Don’t try to duplicate yourself through them. God gave each of your children their own unique makeup and personality. So don’t try to make them something that God and the rest of us don’t need one more of. 6) Encourage them to pursue their life’s vision. ‘…Your young men [and women] shall see visions’ (Joel 2:28 KJV). Don’t pour cold water on the fire of their enthusiasm, fan it. Get out of the critic’s seat and become their greatest supporter. If you do, you will make them proud of you.

Numbers 32:25 - 33:56, Matthew 13:36-46, Psalm 134 , Proverbs 4:5-13

PRAYING FOR UCB

UCB Youth and children’s ministry is launching the ‘Pray21’ mentoring and discipleship scheme for young people this quarter.  We pray that it will be well received by young people and will help them to find Christian mentors and role models.  Pray that adults will hear God’s call and be willing to become mentors for the young people involved in this programme, and pray that the fruits of these relationships will grow on for years.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 2:29pm On Feb 10, 2013
10 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

BELIEVE GOD FOR YOUR HEALING

‘…I am the Lord, who heals you.’

Exodus 15:26

2013-02-10

In the Bible, one of the names God chooses to be called by is ‘Jehovah Rapha,’ which means ‘I am the Lord who heals.’ Now, if God calls Himself the healer, then you have the right to believe what He says and expect that, given an opportunity, He will perform His role competently. After all, His credibility depends on living up to His name. The Psalmist said, ‘…Your promises are backed by all the honour of your name’ (Psalms 138:2 NLT). Has God changed? No; He says, ‘…I am the Lord All-Powerful, and I never change’ (Malachi 3:6 CEV). And Jesus, who is God, is ‘…the same yesterday and today and forever’ (Hebrews 13:8 NIV). What He was, He still is. What He did, He still does. So, when you or a loved one is sick, do these two things: 1) Pray, in faith believing. A ‘good faith’ deal requires that both parties trust each other’s word. Their trust is a rational decision of their will, not their emotions. Faith is your will deciding that God will keep the promise He has made to you. It’s refusing to be ambivalent by saying, ‘If only I felt more positive.’ No business could survive such ambiguity. Jesus spelled it out clearly: ‘…All things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you’ (Mark 11:24 NAS). 2) Look for faith-partners who will pray with you. ‘…Pray for each other so that you may be healed…’ (James 5:16 NLT). ‘…If two of you agree…concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you’ (Matthew 18:19 NLT).

Exodus 20:13, Genesis 4:8-16, Proverbs 18:21 , Matthew 5:21-22

PRAYER & ME

The journey of praying for healing, whether for yourself or someone else, can be a long one, and long journeys require companions.  Lord, I pray today that You will show me who You have put in my life to accompany me on this journey of praying for healing.  Help me find the right people to encourage me when I get discouraged, and to help carry the load when it becomes difficult to pray.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:36am On Feb 11, 2013
Congrats to super eagle and Nigerians for winning the nation cup after 19 years . To God be the glory !
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:38am On Feb 11, 2013
11 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

CONFRONT THEM—IN LOVE!

‘…Speaking the truth in love…’

Ephesians 4:15

2013-02-11 

Sometimes love requires confronting people. But it must be done in the right way, and only over the right issues. If you spend your life correcting people you’ll finish up with no credibility, and no friends. At what point should you confront somebody? Only when you’ve answered these questions: a) Is it important? If it involves a destructive habit, an abusive behaviour, a major doctrinal error, or a situation that could hurt them, it’s important—get involved. b) Is it chronic? If you observe the same thing happening over and over, it doesn’t have to be big to get your love in gear. c) Have you earned the right to speak? If a casual acquaintance does something unwise, it’s probably none of your business. But if someone close to you does it, it’s both appropriate and loving to say, ‘That will hurt you.’ Paul points out four things about love in 1 Corinthians 13:4-5 (NIV): 1) ‘Love is not rude.’ It doesn’t use the aggressive, heavy-handed approach. 2) ‘Love is not self-seeking.’ It forgets about the need to be accepted, and makes sure that what the other person hears is filtered only by kindness. It refuses to walk away having spoken half the truth. 3) ‘Love is not easily angered.’ When you confront someone in love, don’t be upset if you get an angry response such as, ‘Who are you to tell me?’ The right medicine doesn’t taste good, but it heals. 4) ‘Love keeps no record of wrongs.’ When you have been hurt, it’s critical that you deal with it and put it behind you. Only then can you confront someone for their own good.

Numbers 34-36, Matthew 13:47-58, Psalm 138 , Proverbs 4:14-17

DESERT OF ADDICTION

Pray for those caught in the trap of addiction today, feeling that they are held captive by something stronger than themselves.  Pray that new hope will dawn like light in the darkness, and that they will begin to believe that there is a way out.  Pray for the many organisations across the UK which exist to help people overcome addiction, that their activities will be infused with God’s rescuing power, so that people truly get set free.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by Flawlessdiva1(f): 2:24am On Feb 12, 2013
lateef4me: Hello Flawles~diva,

I'm not one of their distributors and I don't even know how to get a copy . Copies of the devotion is normally brought to our office then before Intercontinental issues with CBN .

What I'm doing here is just to copy directly from their website .I'll try and post the link to the site here......

You can also go there and assist to paste here to enrich lives everyday in our walk with Jesus .

Stay connected to Him and remain bless !
Thank you very much, the link will do. Will be glad to share.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:12am On Feb 12, 2013
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 11:42pm On Feb 13, 2013
12 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

THE DESIGN AND THE DESIGNER

‘Lift your eyes and look to the heavens…’

Isaiah 40:26

2013-02-12

Wernher von Braun, the first director of NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Centre, who’s known as ‘the father of the American space programme,’ stated in a published article in May, 1974: ‘One cannot be exposed to the law and order of the universe without concluding that there must be a design and purpose behind it all…The better we understand the intricacies of the universe…the more reason we have found to marvel at the inherent design upon which it is based…To be forced to believe only one conclusion—that everything in the universe happened by chance—would violate the very objectivity of science itself…What random process could produce the brains of a man or the system of the human eye?…They [evolutionists] challenge science to prove the existence of God. But must we really light a candle to see the sun?…They say they cannot visualise a designer. Well, can a physicist visualise an electron? What strange rationale makes some physicists accept the inconceivable electron as real, while refusing to accept the reality of a designer on the ground that they cannot conceive Him?’ The devotional you are reading was not the result of an explosion in a printing press. No, if there’s a book, then there must be a publisher. If there’s a building, then there must be an architect and builder. If there’s a work of art, then there must be an artist. ‘Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing.’ 

John 1-4, Matthew 14:1-12, Psalm 141 , Proverbs 4:18-19

DESERT OF BULLYING

Pray for all those who suffer bullying and harassment, whether at work, at home or at school, and who fear that things will never improve.  Pray that God will bring someone alongside who can comfort and support.  Pray for healing in their inmost being, so that their damaged confidence and self-esteem will grow back even stronger than before.  Pray that someone will meet them today and tell them how much they are loved by their Father God.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 11:44pm On Feb 13, 2013
13 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

ARE YOU LONELY?

‘…We’re all connected to each other…’

Ephesians 4:25

2013-02-13

In the first chapters of Genesis we read, ‘And God saw that it was good.’ That is, until He created Adam. Then God said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone…’ (Genesis 2:18 NIV). Adam was enjoying a great relationship with God, but because he didn’t have a human companion, God said it wasn’t a good thing. God designed you with two voids. One is a void only He Himself can fill. The other is a void only the right people can fill. And you can’t fill either void with things like jobs, houses, cars or money. You say, ‘What should I do?’ 1) Keep your eyes open. Today one in five relationships begins on the Internet. But there’s a built-in danger there; you can be anybody you want to be on the Internet, yet not be known and loved for the person you really are. Furthermore, loneliness can blind you to your own true needs and another person’s lack of character. 2) Pray about it. When Eliezer, Abraham’s servant, was sent to find a wife for Isaac he prayed, ‘O Lord…give me success today…’ (Genesis 24 NIV). And God did. Isaac and Rebekah became one of the great love stories of the Bible. 3) Reach out to others. That may mean taking down the wall you’ve been hiding behind and building a bridge. The Bible says, ‘Do not be interested only in your own life…be interested in…others’ (Philippians 2:4 NCV). There are no perfect relationships, or risk-free ones. It’s in finding an unmet need and pouring yourself into it that you conquer loneliness and discover a new joy in living.

Joel 2:12-13, Matthew 4:1-17, Mark 2:18-22 , Luke 9:23-26

DESERT OF BULLYING

Pray for all those who suffer bullying and harassment, whether at work, at home or at school, and who fear that things will never improve.  Pray that God will bring someone alongside who can comfort and support.  Pray for healing in their inmost being, so that their damaged confidence and self-esteem will grow back even stronger than before.  Pray that someone will meet them today and tell them how much they are loved by their Father God.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:44pm On Feb 14, 2013
Happy valentine to all nairalanders !
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:29pm On Feb 14, 2013
14 FEBRUARY 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

LOVE

‘…Let us…love one another…’

Love is slow to suspect but quick to trust; slow to condemn but quick to justify; slow to offend but quick to defend; slow to expose but quick to shield; slow to reprimand but quick to empathise; slow to belittle but quick to appreciate; slow to demand but quick to give; slow to provoke but quick to help; slow to resent but quick to forgive. Jerry Cook talks about a church where the people make the following pledge to each other: ‘I’ll never knowingly say or do anything to hurt you. I’ll always, in every circumstance, seek to help and support you. If you’re down and I can lift you, I’ll do that. If you need something and I have it, I’ll share it with you. If I need to, I’ll give it to you. No matter what I find out about you, no matter what happens in the future—either good or bad—my commitment to you will never change. And there’s nothing you can do about it.’ 1 Corinthians 13:7 NKJV says love: 1) ‘Believes all things.’ When someone you care about is called into question, love says, ‘That’s not the kind of person they are; that’s not what they meant.’ 2) ‘Hopes all things.’ Love sees people not just as they are, but as they can be through God’s grace. And if you let Him, God will download that kind of love into your heart. 3) ‘Endures all things.’ The word ‘endure’ is a military term. It means driving a stake into the ground. It’s like saying, ‘I’ll stand my ground in loving you.’ Today, take the love that God has given to you, and give it to others. 

DESERT OF LONELINESS

Today is St Valentine’s Day: a celebration of love and commitment for some, but a reminder of loss and loneliness for others.  Pray today for those who have become isolated, either because they live alone, or because they feel unable to find friends and build relationships.  Pray that new groups and networks will spring up to counteract our society’s slide towards individualism, and that the UK will become a place known for friendliness and ...
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:23am On Feb 15, 2013
15 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

THE CALL TO LEADERSHIP (1)

‘…Rise and stand on your feet…’

Acts 26:16

2013-02-15 

If God has called you to leadership, you’ll be unfulfilled in any other role. God told Paul, ‘Rise and stand on your feet; for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to make you a minister…’ Notice what the call to leadership requires: 1) Competence. You must recognise your gifts, and then channel your energies into where you’re most likely to succeed. That means acknowledging your limitations and helping equip others to fill them. To do that, you must be secure. 2) Courage. Scott Peck said, ‘The best decision makers are those willing to suffer the most over their decisions but still retain their ability to be decisive.’ Good leaders are not necessarily the cleverest or most creative people, they’re just the ones with the courage to step out and go first. So, ‘…Be thou strong and very courageous’ (Joshua 1:7 KJV). 3) Clarity. Your life’s vision may come at once, but the steps are revealed over time. Don’t allow a lack of answers to leave you paralysed. Be clear about your goal, even though you’re not certain as to the details. 4) Coaching. Without a good coach you’ll never be as good as you could be. If you’re hoping to learn everything from personal experience, all the best; you’ll have to outlive Methuselah! 5) Character. You can lead without character, but you can’t be a leader worth following. Character provides the moral authority to bring together the people and resources needed to get the job done. Your talent has the potential to take you places where your character can’t sustain you. That thought should keep you on your knees.

Titus 1-3, Matthew 14:13-21, Psalm 145:1-13 , Proverbs 4:20-22

NEIGHBOUR FRIDAY

Lord, I pray for all those living on my street who are struggling with alcohol or drug addictions, gambling problems, relationship break down and debt.  Help them to understand that You are a Father who never leaves or forsakes them, and that You long for a relationship with them.Could you give copies of ‘The Father’s Love Letter’ to the households in your street, and invite them to come and discuss it together?
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 3:41pm On Feb 17, 2013
16 FEB 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

THE CALL TO LEADERSHIP (2)

‘Teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you…’

Matthew 28:20

2013-02-16

If God has called you to be a teacher in the church, here are three principles you need to live by: 1) Before you feed others, feed yourself. Don’t just go to the Bible for something to say, go for something to eat. Jeremiah said, ‘Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart…’ (Jeremiah 15:16 KJV). People know when you’re saying things that are not a reality in your own life. It’s what Dr. John Maxwell refers to as ‘The law of the lid.’ Nothing rises higher than its leadership! 2) Love people, but don’t cling to them. They are God’s people, not yours! Your assignment to them is for a reason and for a season; when it’s complete, release them into God’s care. Then get a life, and centre it on Christ. 3) Truth is timeless, but methods are temporary. What got you to where you are won’t necessarily get you to where you need to be. To be ‘called’ means you’ll always be moving from something, toward something. If what you’re doing isn’t working, seek God for fresh instructions. If your goal is to fit comfortably within the framework of where you started and make no waves, you’ll never enjoy what God has for you further down the road. You can’t pray for growth and resist change. Do you know why Jesus healed blind people in different ways? So we’d never be able to say, ‘This is the only way.’ Acknowledging that keeps you sharp, keeps you humble, and keeps you credible as a leader.

Hebrews 1-4, Matthew 14:22-36, Psalm 145:14-21 , Provwebs 4:23-24

PRAYER & ME

Are you feeling that nudge from God to step out and move something forward?  Maybe it’s a group or project you’re leading, or a plan you’ve been thinking about for ages.  Lord, I confess that I feel unsure of myself, but I am sure of You, and today I commit to stepping forward.  Give me courage to risk doing the next thing You’ve called me to, regardless of how it may look to others.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

First Fruit Is A Scam, Be Wiser In 2019 / Obituary Of Reverend Father Cyriacus Onunkwo, To Be Buried With His Father / My Experience With Fake Bishop Oyedepo On Facebook(snapshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.