Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,188 members, 7,811,481 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:45 PM

The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional (29273 Views)

The Word For Today, 2015 - A Daily Devotional / The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:00pm On Jan 01, 2013
Hello Nairalanders,

Like most nairalanders,one of my new year resolutions is to walk closer with God this year . I have decided to be updating daily on this thread the devotion of Charles Spurgeon to help us in our fellowship with God this year .

As you long on to nairaland daily,take time to read the devotion for that day before surfinh through other section of nairaland . God bless you richly as you take this year journey with us.

15 Likes

Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:09pm On Jan 01, 2013
JANUARY O1,2013

WE REJOICE AND DELIGHT IN YOU.

'We rejoice and delight in you' We should open the gates of this year,not to the mourning sounds of trombones,but to the sweet strains of harps of joy and cymbals of gladness ."Come ,let us sing for joy to the Lord;let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation " Psalm 95 :1
We,the called ,the faithful,and the chosen should be determined to drive our grief away and to set up our banners of confidence in the name of our God . Let others lament over their troubles,but we who have the 'piece of sweet wood' (Exodus 15:25) to throw into marah's bitter pool will joyfully glorify the Lord . Psalm 34 : 3

"We rejoice and delight in you " We are resolved to do so .Jesus must be the crown of our heart's delight ,for we will not dishonor our Bridegroom by mourning in His presence .We who have been ordained ultimately to be the chorus of the skies ,let us rehearse our everlasting anthem here before we sing it in the halls of "the Jerusalem" (Rev 21 :2 ).

"We rejoice and delight in you" .These two words ,rejoice and delight ,have one sense: double joy and blessedness upon blessedness .Thus,does there need to be any limit to our rejoicing in the Lord now ? Don't people of grace find their Lord to be "henna and nard...calamus and cinnamon" (song 4:13,14) even now ? What better fragrance will they have in heaven itself ?

"We rejoice and delight in you " The last word,you is like the meat of the dish ,the kernel of the nut,the soul of the text . What heavens are found in Jesus ! What rivers of infinite bliss have their source,their end,and every drop of their fullness in Him !

O sweet Lord Jesus,since You are the present portion of your people,favor us this year with such a sense of your preciousness that from its first day to its last ,"we may rejoice and delight in you "

May January open with joy in the Lord ,and may the year close in December with gladness in Jesus

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:55am On Jan 02, 2013
JANUARY 02,2013

LET THE NATION RENEW THEIR STRENGTH ISAIAH 41: 1

Everything on earth needs renewal from time to time,for no created things continues forever by itself . The Psalmist said of the Lord "You renew the face of the earth " (Psalm 104 : 30) .Even trees,which never have to worry about daily care nor shorten their lives through difficult work,must drink in the rain of heaven and absorb the hidden treasures of the soil . "The cedars of lebanon that (God) planted " live only because they are full of sap freshly drawn day by day from the earth .

Neither can human life be sustained without renewal from God . Just as it is necessary to restore the body’s energy with frequent meals ,we must reenergize the soul by feeding on God’s Book ,by listening to the word being preached and by observing the soul-strengthening sacraments . How weak our spiritual gifts become when we neglect these means of renewal. What poor starving saints some believers are who neglect the diligent use of the Word of God and time of prayer. If our spirituality can survive without God ,it is not of divine creation –it is nothing but a dream .If it has been born of God ,it will look to Him as flowers look to the dew of heaven .

Without constant renewal and restoration, we are not ready for the perpetual assaults of hell, the afflictions of heaven, or even the stresses and strains within us . When the whirlwind is unleashed, woe to the tree that has not absorbed fresh sap from the earth and grasped the rock below with many intertwined roots . When fierce storms arise ,woe to mariners who have not strengthened their mast ,dropped anchor or sought a safe haven .

If we allow the good among us to grow weaker, the evil ones will surely gather strength and will struggle to gain control over us ,and perhaps then a time of painful desolation or a disgraceful sin may follow .Instead ,may we draw near to the footstool of divine mercy in humble prayer, for only then will we realize the fulfillment of the promise . “Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength “ Isaiah 40:31 .

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:24am On Jan 03, 2013
JANUARY 03,2013

A VOICE OF ONE CALLING IN THE DESERT ,”PREPARE THE WAY FOR THE LORD ,MAKE STRAIGHT PATHS FOR HIM”       LUKE 3:4

The ‘voice ….calling in the desert” demanded a “way for the Lord ,a way prepared, and one specifically prepared in the desert . I must be attentive to my Master’s proclamation and allow Him a road into my heart ,one actually prepared by His gracious work through the desert of my nature . Our text today is a quote from Isaiah 40:3,and the four directives from Isaiah 40:4 must be given my serious attention.

“Every valley shall be raised up” . Low shallow thoughts of God must be given up ,doubting and despairing must be removed, and self –seeking and sinful delights must be forsaken . Across these deep valleys a glorious causeway of grace must be raised.

“Every mountain and hill shall be made low” Proud self-sufficiency and boastful self righteousness must be leveled to make a highway for “the King of kings” (1 timothy 6:15). God’s divine fellowship is never granted to haughty ,high-minded sinners .”The Lord ….looks upon the lowly (psalm 138:6) and dwells “with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit” (Isaiah 57:15) ,but He “detests all the proud of heart “ (proverb 16:5) . My soul ,petition the Holy Spirit to set your heart right on this.

“The crooked shall be made straight” A wavering heart must have a straight path of decision for God ,one for holiness “marked out” . (Hebrew 12:1) for it . “A double –minded man is unstable in all he does (James 1:cool and is a stranger to “the God of truth” .My soul ,take heed that in all things you are honest and true “for the Lord searches every heart “ (I chronicle 28: 9).

“The rugged places shall be a plain” . stumbling blocks of sins must be removed and “thorns and thistles “ (Hebrew 6:cool of rebellion must be uprooted .Our great Visitor must not find muddy paths and rock –covered roads when He comes to honor His favored ones with His presence.

Oh,may the Lord find in my heart today a highway made ready by His grace ,one upon which He may make triumphal progress to the very limits of my soul from the beginning of this year to its last days !
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:25am On Jan 04, 2013
JANUARY 04,2013

ALTHOUGH JOSEPH RECOGNISED HIS BROTHERS,THEY DID NOT. RECOGNISE HIM GENESIS 42:8

We often consider the need for growth in our knowledge of the Lord Jesus ,but let us now consider a related topic namely ,the knowledge our heavenly “Joseph” has of us . Actually, His knowledge of us was absolutely perfect long before we had even the slightest knowledge of Him . “Your eyes saw my unformed body . All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be “ (Psalm 139:16 ) .

Before we had a place in the world ,we had a place in his heart . When we were still His enemies, He knew us; He knew our misery ,our madness and our wickedness .When we wept bitterly in despairing repentance

And saw Him only as a judge and ruler ,He viewed us as his well-beloved family and His heart yearned for us . He never mistook His chosen ones for others ,but always beheld them as objects of His infinite affection. “The Lord knows those are his” (2 timothy 2:19 ) is as true of a prodigal who “feeds pigs”(Luke 22:30 ).

Alas, we did not know our royal Brother ,and out of this ignorance grew a multitude of sins ! We withheld our heart from Him and allowed Him no entrance to our love . We mistrusted Him and gave no credence of His words .we rebelled against Him and paid Him no loving honor . “The sun of righteousness “ (Malachi 4: 2 ) shone forth, but we could not see Him . Heaven came down to earth ,but earth did not perceive it.

May God be praised that those days are over for us ,although even now we know so little of Jesus compared with what He knows of us .We have only begun to study Him ,while He knows us completely .It is blessing ,however ,that the ignorance is not on His part ,for then we would be a hopeless case indeed .As His children ,He will never say to us “I never knew you” (Matthew 7:23 ) ,but instead will “acknowledge our name “ (Rev 3:5 ) on the day of “his appearing” (2 Timothy 4:1 ) .And meanwhile He will reveal Himself to us in ways He will never do for the world
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 4:38pm On Jan 05, 2013
Sorry guys,it's coming late today !
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:06pm On Jan 05, 2013
JANUARY 05.2013

GOD SAW THAT THE LIGHT WAS GOOD GENESIS 1 : 4

Today let us consider the special view God had of the light He created . " God saw .....the light " . He looked at it with a sense of satisfaction ,gazed on it with pleasure ,and saw that it "was good " . And if the Lord has given you light,dear reader, He looks on the light with special interest ,for it is dear to Him because it is His handiwork and because it is like Him ,for " God is light ". 1 John 1 : 5 .

It is pleasing to know God's eyes tenderly observe the work of grace He has begun in us ,and to know He never loss sight of "this treasure" He has placed in us , who are " jars of clay " 2 corinthian 4 : 7 . Sometimes we cannot see the light in us ,but God always sees it ,and that is much better . It is better for the judge to see my innocence than for me to think I see it . It brings me great comfort to know I am one of God's people . But whether I know it or not , as long as the Lord knows it ,I am safe .The foundation of this truth is this " The Lord knows those who are his " 2 Timothy 2 : 19 .

Perhaps you weep with regret over your sinfulness and mourn over your inner darkness ,but remember ,the Lord sees light in your heart because He placed it there , and all the cloudiness and gloom of your soul cannot hide your light from His gracious eyes . You may have sunk into despondency ,even despair but if your soul has any longing for Christ and if you are truly seeking to rest in His finished work,God sees the light .

In fact ,He not only sees it but He also preserves it in you . " I , the Lord ,watch over it.....I guard it day and light " Isaiah 27 : 3 . What a precious thought to those who ,after anxiously attempting to watch over and guard themselves,feel their powerlessness to do so . This light ,thus preserved by His grace ,God will someday develop into brilliance of the noonday sun and the fullness of His glory . The light with us is simply the dawn of the eternal day .
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:19am On Jan 06, 2013
JANUARY 06,2013

NOW THE EVENING BEFORE THE MAN ARRIVED,THE HAND OF THE LORD WAS UPON ME. EZEKIEL 33 : 22

"The hand of the Lord " may come upon me as a work of His judgement ,and if this is the case ,it would be wise for me to consider the reason for such a visitation and then submit to the rod of correction and Him who ordained it .Surely I am not the person to be chastened in the dark "evening" of life ,so may I cheerfully submit to the affliction and seek to profit from it .

The hand of Lord ,however may come upon me in another manner ,strenthening my soul and lifting my spirit upward to eternal things . Oh ,that I may experience the Lord dealing with me in this ways ! A sense of His divine presence and indwelling spirit lifts the soul toward heaven, causing it to soar on wings like eagles isaiah 40 : 31. . At such time we are filled with spiritual joy and forget the cares and sorrows of earth ; the invisible is so near and the visible loses its power over us , our fleshly body lingers at the foot of the hill ,while our spirit worships atop the summit in the presence of the Lord .

Oh,that such a blessed holy time of divine communion may be granted me even now ! The Lord knows I severely needs it ,for my gifts are withering ,my depravity rages within me ,my faith is weak and devotion is cold - all reasons why I need His healing hand upon me .His hand can cool the heat of my burning brow and calm the turmoil of my pounding heart . His glorious right hand that moulded the world can recreate my mind ,the untiring hand that holds the pillars of earth can sustain my spirit ,the loving hand that embraces all the saints can cherish me and the mighty hand that breaks the enemy into pieces can subdue my sins . Why shouldn't I feel that hand touching me even now ?

Come my soul address your God with a powerful plea ,asking that you may sense the same hands that were pieced for your redemption being laid upon you . Ask to feel the same hand upon you that once touched Daniel and sent him to his knees that he might see visions of God .
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2013
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

THIS YEAR, LIVE BY THE BEATITUDES (6)

‘Blessed are the pure in heart...’

MATTHEW 5:8

Make your heart ‘a controlled environment’, because what happens there determines how you respond to life. When it comes to people, pastimes and pursuits, don’t open yourself to anything that has the potential to take you captive, or to make you cynical and cold-hearted. If you do, you’ll shut yourself off from God’s blessing. In his book ‘Next Door Saviour’, Max Lucado writes: ‘The countryside was flat and predictable, that’s why the refinery stood out like a science-fiction city. The function of that maze of machinery is defined by its name. A refinery takes whatever comes in and purifies it, so that it’s ready to go out. It does for petroleum what your heart should do for you—removes the bad and utilises the good. Jesus said, “The good man brings good things out of the good stored in his heart…” (Luke 6:45 NIV). So here are some questions you need to ask yourself, “When I’m criticised or ignored do I bite back, or bite my tongue? When I’m on overload do I blow my top, or stay cool? When I hear gossip do I entertain it, silence it or spread it? When somebody offends me do I harbour a grudge, or choose to forgive?” It all depends on the condition of your heart.’ When your heart has been purified you’ll begin to see God in people, places and situations you never noticed Him at work in before. Knowing firsthand the dangers of spiritual heart disease, the Psalmist wrote: ‘Create in me a clean heart, O God…’ (Psalm 51:10 NLT). If you need a spiritual catharsis, spend time in the presence of God.

Exodus 20:1-3 , Deuteronomy 6:1-9, Mark 12:28-34, Revelation 2:1-7

TODAY'S PRAYER - FROM PRAYER FOR TODAY MAGAZINE

PRAYER

MATT 5:8

Gracious God of Forgiveness, I lay my heart open before You today, with all its strengths and its flaws.  I want a heart that mirrors Yours – dreams and passions and longings that reflect Your beauty and purity.  Clean out my heart today, I pray; wash away what is impure and untrue.  Give me a heart that beats with Your love and Your life.  And as I tune my heart to Yours, help me to see You more clearly.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:15am On Jan 08, 2013
THIS YEAR, LIVE BY THE BEATITUDES (cool

‘Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake...’

MATTHEW 5:10

In Yellowstone National Park there’s an interesting tree called a Lodgepole pine. Its cones can hang on for years before falling off. Even then they remain tightly closed. They open only when they are in contact with intense heat. Whenever forest fires are raging and all the trees are being destroyed, the heat opens these particular pine cones. As a result, they are the first to assist nature in repopulating the forest. Jesus said to His disciples: ‘Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.’ There’s potential in each of us that’s only released when we’re under pressure or in a fiery trial. Job discovered this when God permitted satan to test him. Job lost everything he had, including his children. And to add insult to injury, he was forced to endure the scorn of his wife and friends because of his unwavering faith. When it was over, Job, who got back twice as much as he lost, prayed, ‘I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees You’ (Job 42:5 NKJV). It’s one thing to hear how God works based on somebody else’s experience, it’s another to see it first hand when you’re wondering, ‘What did I do to deserve this?’ or asking, ‘If God’s really there, why am I here?’ Why? 1) Because it’s in the fire that you discover new aspects of God’s care and character. 2) What turns worthless carbon into diamonds? Heat! Pressure! 3) In the fire you discover that when others abandon you, God remains faithful.

Leviticus 11:1 - 13:37 , Matthew 5:27-37, Psalm 42:6-11, Proverbs 1:24-28
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:17am On Jan 09, 2013
ENCOURAGE SOMEONE TODAY

‘…Epaphroditus…ministered to my need.’

PHILIPPIANS 2:25

When people are hurting, they need your support until they can get back on their feet again. Medical researchers have developed a bone-bonding compound that illustrates this. It looks like toothpaste. Once injected into the body it hardens in ten minutes. In twelve hours it reaches the compression strength of natural bone. A study in the journal, Science, found the compound virtually identical to natural bone crystals. It so closely resembles real bone that the body doesn’t reject it. Weeks after being injected into the body, the cement is replaced by real bone. According to the Associated Press, clinical trials ‘show the material has allowed patients to discard casts early—or altogether—and to resume walking more quickly and with less pain.’ Epaphroditus is introduced by Paul as ‘…my brother, fellow worker, and fellow soldier…and the one who ministered to my need…Receive him therefore in the Lord with all gladness, and hold such men in esteem; because for the work of Christ he came close to death, not regarding his life, to supply what was lacking in your service toward me’ (vv. 25-30 NKJV). You ask, ‘What was Paul lacking?’ Encouragement! And who brought it? ‘Epaphroditus, a brother, a fellow worker, and a soldier.’ Epaphroditus worked side by side with Paul and he fought for him. What an asset he was! We look for such people in times of crisis because they lift us. So today ask God to make you an encourager whose words and actions bring comfort and support to others. There is no greater calling!

FUNDING FOR MENTORING

1 CHRON 29:14

It costs money and takes time to train someone to be a mentor in a school.  In a society where money and time are often both in short supply, pray that funding will continue to be released for this vital service, and that people will be increasingly willing to give of their time to help young people find their way through life.  Pray particularly that Young people won’t be let down by existing schemes losing fund
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:22am On Jan 11, 2013
11 JAN

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

PRACTISE PURE RELIGION!

‘Pure…religion before God…is this…’

JAMES 1:27

2013-01-11.

Jesus said about every act of kindness you show toward someone who’s hurting or in need: ‘…You did it to Me’ (Matthew 25:40 NKJV). Wow! Maybe next time you’re too busy to show concern, that’ll make you stop and think. In answer to the question, ‘What must I do to inherit eternal life?’ Jesus told one man, ‘…Sell what you have and give it to the poor…[then] follow Me’ (Matthew 19:21 NKJV). This man could have blessed many others, and even been numbered among Christ’s disciples, but it didn’t happen because he was self-focused. Jesus told another story about a rich man who died and went to hell. Now, he didn’t go there because he was rich. The only sin he was charged with was selfishness. He allowed a poor man to sit on his doorstep with wounds untended, his body ill-clad, his stomach empty, and did nothing about it (Luke 16:19-31). On the other hand, Zacchaeus, who overcharged others in order to enrich himself, saw the folly of his ways, renounced selfishness and made a decision to follow Jesus (Luke 19:1-10). The story’s told of an angel visiting a wealthy man who happened to be on his deathbed. After the man listed all the things he’d like to take to heaven with him, the angel informed him, ‘You can only take what you have given away.’ Don’t wait until the eve of your departure to give; experience the joy and reward of it—now. ‘Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble.’ So today, practise pure religion!

⁠  

Leviticus 18-20 , Matthew 6:9-18, Psalm 71:1-16, Proverbs 2:1-2

NEIGHBOUR FRIDAY

ISA 40:30-31

Lord, I pray for all those of all ages living on my street who are weary with the pressures of life.  Renew their strength.  Lord, teach me to wait on You for the renewing of my own strength, so that Imay pray and work tirelessly to see my street changed. Make regular appointments with God, where your mobile is switched off and no one can contact you.  Take time to rest in Him and talk to Him.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 4:15pm On Jan 13, 2013
12/01/2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

SET BOUNDARIES (1)

‘All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’…’

MATTHEW 5:37

When does ‘a good thing’ become ‘too much’?  Can I help you, without hurting me? Can we share our lives, without me giving up mine? When do you truly need my help? When do I need to let go, and let you and God handle it? Finding the balance between ‘enough’ and ‘too much’ in relationships is a constant challenge and isn’t easy. Especially when your role tends to be, ‘all things, at all times, to all people’, and theirs is, ‘I’m helpless, you owe me, take care of me’; when you have no ‘no’ and they have no ‘yes’. Needing to be needed by needy people who always want someone to take care of them puts the needy person in the driver’s seat—and puts you over the edge. They are never happy, whatever you do. So you do more to make them feel happier and yourself feel less guilty, and you end up in a double bind. They resent you for not giving enough, and you resent them for not appreciating what you give. Yet neither of you knows how to break the cycle. So the relationship becomes what counsellors call a ‘more-of-the-same’ tangle where both parties resent and devalue the other, feeling stuck in a life-dominating trap you both fear to jettison. Marriages, families, friendships, workplaces, churches and social groups get trapped in this ‘victim-rescuer’ pattern where needy people and fixers become trapped  in a mutual dance they both ‘love to hate’, but won’t stop doing! Recognise yourself? If so, you’re moving toward a healthier, less toxic relationship.

ENCOURAGE SOMEONE TODAY
Leviticus 21:1 - 23:25 , Matthew 6:19-34, Psalm 71:17-24, Proverbs 2:3-5

THREE RULES FOR LIVING

‘…FAITH COMETH BY HEARING, AND HEARING BY THE WORD OF GOD.’

'WE WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT.'

PRAYER & ME

‘LET US NOT GROW WEARY WHILE DOING GOOD.’

1 COR 12:25

''I KNOW THE PLANS I HAVE FOR YOU,' SAYS THE LORD. 'THEY ARE PLANS FOR GOOD...''

Have you withdrawn from people lately because of fear, hurt or disappointment?  Have you raised walls of defensiveness and distance to protect yourself?  Prayer isn’t sniper-fire – shooting prayers at people from a safe distance; it’s relationship – being close enough to people to bless them and share life with them while we pray for them.  Don’t just pray for people today, resolve to reach out to them as well, trusting God to ..
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 4:16pm On Jan 13, 2013
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

SET BOUNDARIES (2)

‘…Its parts should have equal concern for each other.’

1 CORINTHIANS 12:25

2013-01-13.

When you buy a house, you need clearly marked boundary lines to let you know what’s yours and what’s not. Good boundaries make good neighbours. The Bible says, ‘Seldom set foot in your neighbour’s house—too much of you, and they will hate you’ (Proverbs 25:17 NIV). So, how close is too close? Let’s look at three kinds of boundaries we establish between ourselves and others. Rigid boundaries. These are designed to keep others at arms’ length and protect your private, self-absorbed world. Without saying a word, your attitude says: ‘Keep out, trespassers will be prosecuted!’ Why do we create such boundaries? Fear! We fear being known, controlled, hurt, or feeling inadequate and inferior. And our rigidity prevents intimacy. Our unwillingness to be vulnerable or to compromise leaves us defensive, isolated and lonely. Closeness and intimacy are things we long for, yet fear and avoid. We think, ‘You can’t hurt me if I keep you at a safe distance.’ But it doesn’t work. God designed us to share life’s victories and defeats, not to live in isolation. We are to ‘…have equal concern for each other. If one part [person] suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honoured, every part rejoices with it’ (1 Corinthians 12:25-26 NIV). Rigid boundaries rob you of life-enriching relationships. ‘So what’s the answer?’ you ask. Reach out! You were created to give to others, and to receive what they have to give back to you. In giving you are fulfilled, and in receiving you are made complete. Anything less is just existing.

Exodus 20:4-6 , Deuteronomy 7:17 - 8:2, Isaiah 40:18-31, Colossians 3:5-10

PRAYER & ME

1 COR 12:25

Have you withdrawn from people lately because of fear, hurt or disappointment?  Have you raised walls of defensiveness and distance to protect yourself?  Prayer isn’t sniper-fire – shooting prayers at people from a safe distance; it’s relationship – being close enough to people to bless them and share life with them while we pray for them.  Don’t just pray for people today, resolve to reach out to them as well, trusting God to

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:18am On Jan 14, 2013
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

SET BOUNDARIES (3)

‘…Like a city with broken-down walls.’

PROVERBS 25:28

2013-01-14.

Permeable boundaries. Well-adjusted people find the right balance between protecting their personal space, and allowing others to infiltrate, manipulate and dominate them. They know how to say yes to what’s healthy and no to what’s not. Permeable boundary people, on the other hand, allow others to permeate their lives at will, siphon off their time and energy, dictate their options, and deprive them of other important relationships. Unable to say no, they permit others to make them feel guilty, obligated, uncaring, or even ‘unchristian’ if they withhold what’s demanded. They inconvenience themselves, their families and their friendships to facilitate the endless demands of the seemingly helpless, disempowered, irresponsible user, believing they are being kind and helpful. The ‘helper’s’ toll is immense, often leading to emotional, physical, social and spiritual overload, while the ‘helpee’ feels increasingly dependent, irresponsible and entitled, not appreciating, and sometimes even resenting, the helper’s efforts. Permeable boundary people are unaware that their ‘open’ sign is always illuminated, attracting a deluge of other people’s needs they feel personally responsible for. They carry the weight of much that’s wrong in the world, feeling exhausted, anxious, inadequate and guilty, taking it personally that they can’t do more and fix things. And it leaves them feeling ‘used’. ‘A person without self-control is like a city with broken-down walls.’ Understand this: You can’t take charge of your own life while you’re overwhelmed feeling responsible for other people’s lives. Set some boundaries, and live the life God gave you to live!

Leviticus 23:26 - 25:55 , Matthew 7:1-14, Psalm 74:1-11, Proverbs 2:6

NEW US PRESIDENT

1 TIM 2:1-2

The new US President will be sworn in on 20th January.  One of the most urgent issues in his in-tray will be climate change.  Both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney previously promised action but were prevented by politics.  Pray that the new President, whoever it is, will have the ability and courage to pursue policies that take care of God’s creation, create an all-party consensus for action, and inspire other world leaders to do the same.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by Flawlessdiva1(f): 9:00pm On Jan 15, 2013
I love this book. It's free yet so inspiring. It speaks volume to me. It has taught many things and is helping draw nearer to God.
Talking about the different boundaries people set, is so true. Sometimes i'm rigid but never permeable. But i've learnt to be flexible in all things. Ås Gal6 puts it. Every many must carry his load and reap what ever he sow. I'm so following this topic. Thanks for taking your time to post this.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:28am On Jan 16, 2013
Flawless-diva,

It's actually a devotional not a book except you are refering to Charles Spurgeon 's book which I used in starting this thread . Thanks for your kind words !
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:34am On Jan 16, 2013
15 JAN

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

SET BOUNDARIES (4)

‘I can make it through anything…’

PHILIPPIANS 4:12

2013-01-15.

Flexible boundaries: Rigid boundaries cause you to shut other people out and live unprepared and ill-equipped for the give-and-take that healthy relationships require. Permeable boundaries leave you defenseless against ‘users’ who feel entitled to manipulate you and who expect to be taken care of at your expense. But flexible boundary people are competent for living their own life, yet with a balanced and healthy interest in others. They can be generous in sharing their time, compassion and resources, without becoming overly responsible, or betraying their God-given duty to be the unique person He made them, just to please others. They say, ‘I can be in a relationship with you, without giving up being me!’ They don’t let you violate their boundaries, and they know how to keep from violating yours. Unlike rigid people, they bend and adjust as circumstances require, without becoming overwhelmed, defensive, resentful, blaming or reactive. In tough situations they roll with the punches, stay focused and draw on a well of inner strength which God provides. Paul was such a person: ‘I've learned…to be…content whatever my circumstances…I can make it through (adjust to) anything in the One who makes me who I am’ (vv. 12-13 TM). People and circumstances don’t control them; they flex, and let God take charge. They are helpful, but they don’t feel guilty because they can’t ‘fix’ everybody. Their boundaries enable them to adjust to circumstances. They practise the principle, ‘Bear one another’s burdens…’ (Galatians 6:2 NKJV), without over-functioning or being responsible for others.

Leviticus 26-27 , Matthew 7:15-29, Psalm 74:12-23, Proverbs 2:7-8

NATURAL DISASTERS

MATT 6:11

Record-breaking droughts, floods and heat waves rarely make headlines, but recently they’ve occurred in every continent.  Essential crops have failed and many people have gone hungry.  Jesus taught us to pray for ‘daily bread’.  He also taught that we will be judged on whether we take care of people in need as if they were Him.  Pray that we recognise Jesus in the faces of hungry people, and pray ‘daily bread’ for all of us.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by Chinwem(f): 6:21pm On Jan 16, 2013
I love this. Please keep it up...........gonna be reading every morning on the way to work.
Keep sowing the seed
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by Yvete(f): 6:45pm On Jan 16, 2013
Thank you for this daily devotional.

This year, I've been struggling with spiritual laziness lately. Need to rekindle my relationship with God. Will stop by daily.
Was listening to this song this morning ♫ ♬ God of a second chance ♫ ♬ and it spoke into my heart.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:05am On Jan 17, 2013
16 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

DON’T LIVE AN UNEXAMINED LIFE

‘Search me, O God, and know my heart...’

PSALM 139:23

2013-01-16.

When you live an unexamined life—it shows! Author Gordon MacDonald writes: ‘I was reading authors who were saying that if Christ’s followers don’t grow, it’s because they don’t make a habit of evaluating their lives. These authors were describing me. I was always on the go, never looking deeply inside. I never did the kind of reflection that leads to growth, and I was paying the price—committing the same stupid sins over and over, living with the same heavy load of guilt. So I made a difficult decision: I decided that each day I would try to honestly assess my soul’s condition. I would look inside myself and write down what I saw. Feeling awkward and embarrassed, I started to write. “God, here are some areas of failure in my life. They aren’t going away, so I might as well take a look at them.” Or, “Here’s a relationship or habit I’m concerned about. It’s not good and I don’t know how to improve it.” After writing a paragraph or two I would reflect on what I had written.’ There are benefits to keeping a spiritual diary of your walk with God that you can’t get any other way: 1) It forces you to slow down and examine the effectiveness of what you’re doing. 2) It frees you to ask, ‘Why am I doing this? How do I really feel about it? What is God saying to me?’ 3) By writing even a page a day, in one year you will have a 365-day record of prayers answered and lessons learned!

Philippians 1-4 , Matthew 8:1-9, Psalm 79, Proverbs 2:9-10

MAKING RIGHT CHOICES

JOHN 10:10

According to scientists, current climate changes are caused at least partly by how we all live. So we must all be part of the solution.  Pray that: businesses will act ethically and sustainably; scientists will pursue truth wherever it leads; Christian leaders will show love for God and neighbours; each of us will take every small step we can.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:00am On Jan 17, 2013
17 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

TURN YOUR WEAKNESS INTO A WEAPON

‘I just let Christ take over! ...’

2 CORINTHIANS 12:10

2013-01-17

Speaking of his ‘thorn’, Paul writes: ‘…I was given the gift of a handicap…At first I didn’t think of it as a gift, and begged God to remove it…he told me, “My grace is enough; it’s all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.” Once I heard that, I was glad to let it happen. I quit focusing on the handicap and began appreciating the gift…Now I take my limitations in stride, and with good cheer, these limitations that cut me down to size—abuse, accidents, opposition, bad breaks. I just let Christ take over! And so the weaker I get, the stronger I become’ (vv. 7-10 TM). Paul learned how to turn his weakness into a weapon by allowing it to drive him closer to God. And that’s a lesson you must learn too. Eugene Peterson paraphrases Christ’s first beatitude: ‘You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope. With less of you there is more of God and his rule’ (Matthew 5:3 TM). Now, you can’t just accept your character flaws and areas of defeat and say, ‘Well, I guess that’s just the way I am.’ No, you must confront each area of weakness, confess it, and ‘let Christ take over’. You will always struggle with one thing or another. Paul recognised this: ‘…We carry this precious Message around in the unadorned clay pots of our ordinary lives. That’s to prevent anyone from confusing God’s incomparable power with us…’ (2 Corinthians 4:7 TM). Like common pottery, fragile, flawed and easily broken, God will use you as you surrender and allow Him to work through you.

Daniel 1-2 , Matthew 8:10-17, Psalm 81, Proverbs 2:11-15

MAKING RIGHT CHOICES

JOHN 10:10

According to scientists, current climate changes are caused at least partly by how we all live. So we must all be part of the solution.  Pray that: businesses will act ethically and sustainably; scientists will pursue truth wherever it leads; Christian leaders will show love for God and neighbours; each of us will take every small step we can.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:06am On Jan 18, 2013
18 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

THOUGHTS ON THE TABERNACLE (1)

‘…Bring Me an offering…’

EXODUS 25:2

2013-01-18

When it came time to build the Old Testament tabernacle, God said to Moses, ‘Do all things according to the pattern which I showed you’ (Exodus 25:40). Whether you’re building a relationship, a career, a business or a ministry, it will always require several elements: Sacrifice - the building of the tabernacle begins with these words: ‘Speak to the children of Israel, that they bring Me an offering. From everyone who gives it willingly with his heart you shall take My offering.’ Question: why would a God who is rich enough to pave His streets with gold, ask you for an offering? Because only when you have a personal investment in something, will you give it your full attention, treasure it, prioritise it and protect it. Pastor, ask the Lord for the plan, then ask the people for the money, not vice versa. Teach your people to live by this principle: ‘Give till it hurts, give till it stops hurting, give till it feels good.’ Paul wrote about the generosity of the Christians in Macedonia: ‘They are being tested by many troubles, and they are very poor. But they are also filled with abundant joy, which has overflowed in rich generosity. For I can testify that they gave not only what they could afford, but far more and they did it of their own free will. They begged us again and again for the privilege of sharing…They even did more than we had hoped, for their first action was to give themselves to the Lord and to us, just as God wanted them to do’ (2 Corinthians 8:2-5 NLT). So, are you willing to sacrifice?

Daniel 3-4 , Matthew 8:18-27, Psalm 84, Proverbs 2:16-19

NEIGHBOUR FRIDAY

MATT 25:35-36

Lord, please open my eyes to see those on my street who are hungry, thirsty, sick or imprisoned.  Show me how to bring comfort, hope and practical support where it is needed.  Lord, in all things, let me be Your hands, Your feet and Your Mouth, as I represent You in my street.  Can you donate food to a local food bank?  If there isn’t one in your area, could you help start one?
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by Flawlessdiva1(f): 12:10pm On Jan 19, 2013
lateef4me: Flawless-diva,

It's actually a devotional not a book except you are refering to Charles Spurgeon 's book which I used in starting this thread . Thanks for your kind words !
Is the devotion not contained in a book? You're welcome. I believe it's this devotional.

Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:20pm On Jan 21, 2013
Yes,that's it !
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:30pm On Jan 21, 2013
19 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

THOUGHTS ON THE TABERNACLE (2)

‘…Make everything according to the pattern I have shown you…’

EXODUS 25:40

2013-01-19.

The second element that marked the building of the Old Testament tabernacle was excellence. God condemns perfectionism because it stifles our creativity and robs us of all sense of progress. And Jesus condemned those who gave to impress others. ‘When you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward’ (Matthew 6:2 NKJV). But if you think this means you can just offer God anything you feel like, you’re sorely mistaken. When it comes to serving, God wants you to aspire to excellence. God said to Moses: ‘And this is the offering which you shall take from them: gold, silver, and bronze…And let them make Me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among them. According to all that I show you, that is, the pattern of the tabernacle and the pattern of all its furnishings, just so you shall make it’ (Exodus 25:3-9 NKJV). Why did God ask for gold? Because He won’t accept anything sloppy or second-rate. Guess where Jesus sat when He went to church? Beside the treasury, watching people give. Luke records: ‘Then a poor widow came by and dropped in two small coins. ‘I tell you the truth,’ Jesus said, ‘this poor widow has given more than all the rest of them. For they have given a tiny part of their surplus, but she, poor as she is, has given everything she has’’ (Luke 21:2-4 NLT). So, give God your best!

Daniel 5-7 , Matthew 8:28-34

CHRISTIAN UNITY

MICAH 6:6-8

‘Thus, true faith in God is inseparable from personal holiness and the search for social justice.As we mark the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, let’s first ask God to examine our own lives in the light of this year’s theme passage (Micah 6:6-cool.  Lord, You call me to a holiness which looks outward rather than inward.  Forgive me where I have failed to love the people You love and to walk the way You walk.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:31pm On Jan 21, 2013
20 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

THOUGHTS ON THE TABERNACLE (3)

‘…Go into all the world and preach…’

MARK 16:15

2013-01-20

The third element in the building of the tabernacle was equal access. The word ‘tabernacle’ means ‘tent of meeting’. It’s where God met and interacted with His people. So He positioned it in the middle of the camp, surrounded by each of the twelve tribes. Everybody had to be able to stand in the door of their tent and see God at work. Why? Because God dwelt and worked in the midst of all twelve tribes! There’s an important lesson here for us. God doesn’t see a white church or a black church or a yellow church or a brown church. Jesus said, ‘…I will build my church…’ (Matthew 16:18 NIV). We have been called to provide everybody, regardless of culture, colour or creed, with equal access to God through Christ. There’s a cute story about two children playing church when one says to the other, ‘What abomination does your family belong to?’ When God shows us a great truth or specific revelation we must share it, not put a fence around it. The last thing Jesus said to His disciples was, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.’ And what did they do? ‘They went out and preached everywhere, the Lord working with them and confirming the word through the accompanying signs…’ (Mark 16:20 NKJV). Just because your church has a certain theology and worship style, doesn’t mean you get to ride first class while others travel in the guards van. No, when God makes someone a member of His redeemed family, you must treat them as your brother and sister. So try to remember that!

Exodus 20:7 , Isaiah 29:22-24, Matthew 6:9, Philippians 2:5-11

CHRISTIAN UNITY

‘Thus, true faith in God is inseparable from personal holiness and the search for social justice.As we mark the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, let’s first ask God to examine our own lives in the light of this year’s theme passage (Micah 6:6-cool.  Lord, You call me to a holiness which looks outward rather than inward.  Forgive me where I have failed to love the people You love and to walk the way You walk.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:15am On Jan 22, 2013
21 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

FINANCIAL FREEDOM

‘I will give you…right desires…’

EZEKIEL 36:26

2013-01-21

‘The Millionaire Next Door’ is a bestselling book about two people living on the same street, in comparable homes, working at similar jobs. But by age fifty, one is financially secure while the other is drowning in debt. Their problem isn’t money; it’s unwillingness to defer gratification. We want what we want now! Many times we associate happiness with spending, so when we feel down we go shopping. Think about it: When you got your last bonus or tax refund, was your first thought— ‘What can I buy?’ Be honest! Paul says, ‘Do not conform to…this [world’s value system]…be transformed by…renewing your mind…’ (Romans 12:2 NIV). When it comes to money, you must ask God to give you ‘right desires’. Robert Orben said, ‘Every morning I read the Forbes magazine list of the richest people in America and if my name isn't on it, I get up and go to work!’ The Bible says, ‘Do not despise…small beginnings…’ (Zechariah 4:10 NLT). Big things are a culmination of small ones. So: Give God the first tenth of your income, save 10 percent, and live on the rest (Proverbs 3:9). As your earnings grow, invest 50 percent of the increase in a ‘financial freedom account’. Once you stop spending every penny you earn and start saving, an interesting dynamic comes into play. The act of disciplining yourself to save even modest amounts will empower you financially, spiritually and emotionally. One theologian said, ‘Self-respect is the root of discipline. Your sense of dignity grows with the ability to say no to yourself.’ In addition to helping you achieve financial freedom, self-control enriches every area of your life.

Daniel 8-10 , Matthew 9:1-13, Psalm 89:15-37, Proverbs 2:21-22

CHRISTIAN UNITY

‘Thus, true faith in God is inseparable from personal holiness and the search for social justice.As we mark the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, let’s first ask God to examine our own lives in the light of this year’s theme passage (Micah 6:6-cool.  Lord, You call me to a holiness which looks outward rather than inward.  Forgive me where I have failed to love the people You love and to walk the way You walk
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:19am On Jan 23, 2013
22 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

FOUR LESSONS LEARNED ON YOUR JOURNEY (1)

‘In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.’

PROVERBS 16:9

2013-01-22.

Remember needing a road atlas when you took a trip? Now you just programme your destination into the car’s GPS and it tells you where and when to turn, how far to the next petrol station, and when you’ll arrive. No guessing, confusion and wrong decisions; just choose the shortest or fastest route and it will get you there. As a follower of Christ you have a divine GPS, which is the Holy Spirit. He chooses the route and the timing, and guarantees that you’ll get to your destination. By listening to Him you learn four valuable lessons. Let’s look at them: First, you learn to depend on God rather than yourself. Assuming you know all the twists and turns of life makes you act without consulting God. Samson believed he’d ‘figured how the system worked’. When Delilah sold him out and the Philistines bound him with ropes, he thought he’d handle things the way he always did: ‘…“I will do as before and shake myself free.” But he didn’t realise the Lord had left him.’ (Judges 16:20 NLT). Living victoriously means living in total dependence on God, not yourself. Jesus said, ‘…Without Me you can do nothing’ (John 15:5 NKJV). Second, you change your perspective. You may not always look where you’re going, but you will always end up going where you’re looking! Your perspective determines your choices and direction in life. After paying dearly for following his lower impulses, David changed his perspective and prayed, ‘My eyes are fixed on you…Lord…’ (Psalm 141:8 NIV). You should pray that too.

Daniel 11-12 , Matthew 9:14-26, Psalm 89:38-52, Proverbs 3:1-2

BEYOND BARRIERS

EPH 2:13-16

This year’s WPCU theme has been chosen by the Student Christian Movement of India, and focuses prayer on the plight of the Dalit community.  ‘Because of casteism the Dalits are socially marginalized, politically under-represented, economically exploited and culturally subjugated.  Almost 80% of Indian Christians have a Dalit background ... Christian disunity in India within churches and between them is further accentuated by the caste ...
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:21am On Jan 23, 2013
23 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

FOUR LESSONS LEARNED ON YOUR JOURNEY (2)

‘Call to me and I will…tell you…things you do not know.’

JEREMIAH 33:3

2013-01-23.

Third, you learn the secret of prayer. Do you feel lost in unfamiliar territory, uncertain as to what your next move should be? God uses such times to get your attention, call you back to Himself and encourage you to lean on Him, your unfailing source of strength and wisdom. Stop trying to figure everything out by yourself! God says, ‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you…things you do not know.’ Take your problem to the Lord and ask Him for a solution; He won’t disappoint you. ‘…The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective’ (James 5:16 NIV). Fourth, you learn the power of patience. When the Holy Spirit gives you direction and puts a goal or dream in your heart, it’s easy to be quick on the trigger and want it to happen overnight. Timing is crucial. And it’s under God’s control, not yours! Waiting for God’s timing isn’t wasting time, it’s essential in developing two qualities you need—faith and hope. ‘But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently’ (Romans 8:25 NIV). While you are learning patience, God is at work arranging things on your behalf, and also producing Christ-like qualities in you. The Psalmist said that his hope was in God. What’s your hope in? Good luck? The economy? The doctor’s prognosis? As long as your hope is in anything other than God’s unfailing love and goodness, you’ll wrestle with uncertainty. What’s the answer? ‘…Their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord’ (Psalm 112:7 NIV).

James 1-2 , Matthew 9:27-38, Psalm 91, Proverbs 3:3-4

BEYOND BARRIERS

EPH 2:13-16

This year’s WPCU theme has been chosen by the Student Christian Movement of India, and focuses prayer on the plight of the Dalit community.  ‘Because of casteism the Dalits are socially marginalized, politically under-represented, economically exploited and culturally subjugated.  Almost 80% of Indian Christians have a Dalit background ... Christian disunity in India within churches and between them is further accentuated by the caste ...
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:33am On Jan 25, 2013
24 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

THE SECRET OF SATISFACTION

‘…I have learned how to be content with whatever I have.’

PHILIPPIANS 4:11

2013-01-24

If money guaranteed happiness, wouldn’t the rich be happier than everybody else? Studies show that often they’re not. Happy people don’t follow money, they follow their God-given passion. In ‘What Happy People Know’, Dr. Dan Baker writes: ‘The man in front of me seemed to have it all: money, freedom, friends and family. But he didn’t have the one thing he wanted most—happiness. His home life would horrify most people—alienated kids, a wife who resented his obsession with work, no time to kick back.’ What was this man’s biggest concern? Keeping what he had! Maybe you’re reading this, thinking, ‘Yeah, but that doesn’t apply to me. In his situation I know I could be happy!’ No, money can’t buy happiness; regardless of how much you have, it’s never enough. Fear will always whisper, ‘Unless you get more you won’t be secure.’ So what’s the secret of happiness? Paul writes: ‘For I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength’ (vv. 11-13 NLT). When you pursue God’s purpose for your life, money is secondary. Your real status symbols are salvation, spiritual growth, a secure home, special friends, and the satisfaction of doing what God called you to do. Watchman Nee said, ‘I have never met a soul who has set out to satisfy the Lord, and has not been satisfied himself.’

James 3-5 , Matthew 10:1-10, Psalm 96, Proverbs 3:5-6

NEIGHBOUR FRIDAY

REV 3:15-19

Lord, I pray for all the local churches in my neighbourhood, and all the churches that my neighbours attend.  May the local church truly represent You and Your Kingdom, and may it be passionate about reaching out to those who do not yet know You, and about helping the less fortunate in our community .Ask your church leader how you can help your church achieve more in your community. Support your leader in prayer.
Re: The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:35am On Jan 25, 2013
25 JAN 2013

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

ARE YOU STRESSED OUT ABOUT MONEY? (1)

‘…It is [God] who gives you the ability to produce wealth…’

DEUTERONOMY 8:18

2013-01-25.

The story of Elijah being fed by the ravens teaches us that God can take care of us in a bad economy (1 Kings 17:1-7). The story of Joseph teaches us that when we follow God’s plan, we will have all that we need to get us through hard times (Genesis 41:37-57). One of the dangers of living in a materialistic society is that you feel ‘entitled’ to things, even when you can’t afford them. To overcome financial anxiety you must practise fiscal discipline. God doesn’t bless recklessness. You can’t go into debt, then pray that God will get you out of it. Sometimes He does. But if you don’t learn from your mistakes you’ll just keep repeating them. A popular radio show in Atlanta, USA is hosted by a man called Clark Howard. He begins every programme by saying, ‘Spend less, save more, and don’t get ripped off.’ He talks about banks that charge extortionate rates for credit cards, and tells people to live within their means. ‘But I’m used to a certain lifestyle,’ you say. Get unused to it! If you want peace of mind, learn the art of contentment. Does contentment mean you can’t have ambition? No, it means delaying gratification and enjoying where you are, on your way to where you’re going. It means learning to live by these words: ‘I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength’ (Philippians 4:12-13 NLT).

Numbers 1-2 , Matthew 10:11-20, Psalm 100, Proverbs 3:7-8

NEIGHBOUR FRIDAY

REV 3:15-19

Lord, I pray for all the local churches in my neighbourhood, and all the churches that my neighbours attend.  May the local church truly represent You and Your Kingdom, and may it be passionate about reaching out to those who do not yet know You, and about helping the less fortunate in our community .Ask your church leader how you can help your church achieve more in your community. Support your leader in prayer.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Rev King, Pentecostalism, Christianity, Gullibility And Igbo Nation / Why Did It Take 2,000 Years For The Gospel To Reach Nigeria? / My Experience With Fake Bishop Oyedepo On Facebook(snapshots)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.