Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,911 members, 7,810,509 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:16 AM

Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls (21903 Views)

Father, Two Daughters Die In Lagos Explosion (photos) / My Daughters Lied That Their Father Had Sex With Them…. / Why do Fathers Love their Daughters More & Mothers their Sons? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by SisiKill1: 12:36am On Jan 03, 2013
Recently saw a documentary called Virgin Daughters.

Here's the Synposis

Cutting Edge explores the purity movement in America, where one girl in every six pledges to remain a virgin, or to save her first kiss, until her wedding day.

Award-winning documentary-maker Jane Treays investigates whether this decision is made by the girls themselves or their parents, and follows a group of fathers and daughters as they prepare to attend a purity ball in Colorado Springs, run by Randy Wilson and his wife Lisa.

Two things were striking to the outsider. The first was how young the girls were: Hannah, aged 11, was going to her fifth ball, having started at the age of seven.

The second was the central role played by fathers: they squire the daughters to the ball, dance with them, receive fulsome tributes from them (Hannah: I adore being your daughter. When you spend time with me, you make me feel like a beautiful princess), and later on will be called on to vet any young man showing an interest.

According to Randy Wilson, the minister (self-appointed, the commentary noted) who organizes the Colorado Springs ball, the father is the significant individual in a young girl’s life: He is everything.
-------

In the video, the girls have a wedding like ceremony where they make vows. . .to their fathers to remain pure and chaste until their wedding day.

I am full proponent of young girls keeping themselves but to have a big ol' ceremony and make vows to their daddies? Don't know about that.... embarassed

Here's a Brief video talking about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdM5sDXPu9w

Here's the Full Documentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fZyuLtH4X4

Thoughts?
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Seun(m): 12:42am On Jan 03, 2013
Creepy.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by SisiKill1: 12:46am On Jan 03, 2013
Beyond Creepy!!!!

Haba!!

1 Like

Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Nobody: 1:07am On Jan 03, 2013
Different strokes for different folks.... we are very aware of the ball.... it's a sacred ceremony and a covenant- like bond between Dads and their daughters..... it's another way to have her keep her promise on her virginity.... of course she can change her mind but that's her choice and she will be aware of the consequences .

Speaking of balls...... there are many organized father daughter balls where they all gather annually, these girls meet boys ( celibate) and date themselves . Kinda like Jonas brothers ( perfect example).

1 Like

Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Nobody: 1:15am On Jan 03, 2013
Americans now take desperate measures to keep their girls away from the evils of too much freedom which they also cherish.

There's always two sides to a coin. I wonder if such sacred vows has successfully kept the girls away from tasting the forbidden fruit.
***will watch the video later***

1 Like

Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by GeneralJ(m): 1:34am On Jan 03, 2013
5th to comment
first comment in 2013
on the wierdest topic i've seen in a long ass time

3 Likes

Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by 1shortblackboy: 1:34am On Jan 03, 2013
Na only girls dem dey worry to remain virgins wat of d boys

7 Likes

Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by boolet: 1:38am On Jan 03, 2013
For fear of the unrelenting rods.

1 Like

Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by OME1(m): 1:44am On Jan 03, 2013
The balls and chastity vows are just illusions in the minds of their fathers to reduce their fear over the girls, it doesn't stop the girls from breaking their 'vows' out of curiosity and breaking their 'vows' doesn't stop them from pretending and attending more balls.
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by SisiKill1: 1:47am On Jan 03, 2013
jidegirl12: Different strokes for different folks.... we are very aware of the ball.... it's a sacred ceremony and a covenant- like bond between Dads and their daughters..... it's another way to have her keep her promise on her virginity.... of course she can change her mind but that's her choice and she will be aware of the consequences .

Speaking of balls...... there are many organized father daughter balls where they all gather annually, these girls meet boys ( celibate) and date themselves . Kinda like Jonas brothers ( perfect example).
That's what stumps me. . .why does the father. . .the parents (Can we assume when boys take the vows, they take it with their moms?) have to be involved? Couldn't the kids take these vows. . .with their God? After all the exercise is based on HIS principles.

Why in the world should a dad take his daughter on a date?

A daughter telling her father, when you are with me I feel complete.

My life until I get married belongs to you and you alone. . .What the?!!!!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked

What's even more telling is the mother saying she is not jealous her husband goes out on dates with their daughter. . .if it was an innocent thingy, why should jealousy or the lack there of come into play at all?!!

I know different strokes for different folks but mehn there are just some very very creepy strokes out there for regular folks to comprehend.

By the way, you said "We are very aware. . ." Do you mean, you know people who have participated? If you don't mind my asking.

5 Likes

Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Princess1982(f): 1:55am On Jan 03, 2013
The whole vow thing is odd but there is nothing wrong with a father taking his daughter on a date.
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by majortele(m): 2:03am On Jan 03, 2013
Princess1982: The whole vow thing is odd but there is nothing wrong with a father taking his daughter on a date.
you r right
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Nobody: 2:04am On Jan 03, 2013
Ahh sisi don't let me clarify the 'we' Abeg..... too much info grin. ( I've shared waaay to much already grin)

Back to the topic; It's been established as phenomenon that Daughters prefer their Dad as confidants than moms ...... moms are kinda like critics grin

As per Dad's and not God?....... these are girls under 18.... they need a kind of trustee and Dad suit this position best, some use their uncles just so you dont know.... and why not mom? Do a survey yourself on NL and ask mom that wants to do this or who they prefer ? Duh...Very simple analysis.
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Nobody: 2:10am On Jan 03, 2013
For Fathers:

I (Daughter’s Name)’s Father, choose before to God to war for my daughter’s purity. I acknowledge myself as the authority and protector of my daughter’s virginity, and pledge to be a man of integrity as I lead, guide, and pray over my daughter and her virginity – as the High Priest of my home.

For Virgins:

I (Name) pledge my purity to my father, my future/husband and my Creator. I recognize that virginity is my most precious gift to offer to my future husband. I will not engage in sexual activity of any kind before marriage but will keep my thought and my body pure as a very special present for the one I marry.

For Secondary Virgins (those who have engaged in promiscuous behavior and wish to recommit themselves to lives of purity):

I (Name) re–pledge my purity to my father, my future/husband and my Creator. I now recognize that virginity is my most precious gift to offer my future husband. I deeply regret and will never again engage in sexual activity of any kind before marriage but will keep my thought and my body pure as a very special present for the one I marry.

1 Like

Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by SisiKill1: 2:14am On Jan 03, 2013
Some Pictures

The Entrance

Taking the vow
[img]http://2.bp..com/-tg9tBZB0M3E/UAReDydsPGI/AAAAAAAAFh0/9C6T2FDAx90/s1600/ball3.jpg[/img]

Taking of the vow includes lighting a candle under a cross

The couple has their picture taken after the vow has been taken,

First Dance

Younger Girls Bring the Cross in
[img]http://3.bp..com/-y7VW-FqU3Q0/UARcXkyyWmI/AAAAAAAAFhk/2ALxEhHmpc4/s1600/Purity+ball+photo.jpg[/img]

[img]http://iambilly.files./2009/07/purity_ball.jpg[/img]

The Ring
[img]http://4.bp..com/-_1mPnvR81KU/UARbKHu1PmI/AAAAAAAAFhc/mwd4FfuRf7A/s1600/Purity-Rings.jpg[/img]
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by AjanleKoko: 2:17am On Jan 03, 2013
Totally wack. Coming from a father who has a daughter. embarassed
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by SisiKill1: 2:18am On Jan 03, 2013
jidegirl12: Ahh sisi don't let me clarify the 'we' Abeg..... too much info grin. ( I've shared waaay to much already grin)

Back to the topic; It's been established as phenomenon that Daughters prefer their Dad as confidants than moms ...... moms are kinda like critics grin

As per Dad's and not God?....... these are girls under 18.... they need a kind of trustee and Dad suit this position best, some use their uncles just so you dont know.... and why not mom? Do a survey yourself on NL and ask mom that wants to do this or who they prefer ? Duh...Very simple analysis.

Rotflmao! You are such a tease!!!!

You can't just leave that hanging naaa!

Spill a little. cheesy
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Nobody: 2:18am On Jan 03, 2013
It should be incorporated into african tradition angry
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Nobody: 2:19am On Jan 03, 2013
Lol sisi I honestly don't see anything wrong with it and can't see anything creepy in it smiley my life, my way period....I'm out..... let other people share their opinions smiley
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Nobody: 2:20am On Jan 03, 2013
Sisi_Kill:

Rotflmao! You are such a tease!!!!

You can't just leave that hanging naaa!

Spill a little. cheesy

tongue cool
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by SisiKill1: 2:22am On Jan 03, 2013
Another thing is the fact that it does kinda perpetuate this idea that this is all women have to offer.

Again I am not against the whole remaining a virgin until you are married, I just don't get this. . .this whole BALL, VOW, PLEDGE thing.

1 Like

Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Nobody: 2:23am On Jan 03, 2013
Guys should whet their rods for girls saved in this attempt of purity balls. grin grin grin. Happy Islamic Virgin-like Year!
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by SisiKill1: 2:24am On Jan 03, 2013
jidegirl12: Lol sisi I honestly don't see anything wrong with it and can't see anything creepy in it smiley my life, my way period....I'm out..... let other people share their opinions smiley
Lol! You haven't escaped oh. . Amma catch you later. cheesy
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by sundayid(m): 2:32am On Jan 03, 2013
Jan8: It should be incorporated into african tradition angry
Tah!!!! That wud give some fathers excuse to sleep with their daughters. Without being incorporated yet, you can see and hear what is happening; Fathers raping, marrying and even impregnating their daughters

1 Like

Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Nobody: 2:40am On Jan 03, 2013
sundayid:
Tah!!!! That wud give some fathers excuse to sleep with their daughters. Without being incorporated yet, you can see and hear what is happening; Fathers raping, marrying and even impregnating their daughters
Not only that, parents who practice that usually end up committing i.n.c.e.s.t - I guess!
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by greatgod2012(f): 2:40am On Jan 03, 2013
How i wish they actually keep to d vows and not just trying to satisfy their dad, because of the affection between them..........we've heard of notorious virgins, desperate virgins, and even, wicked virgins.
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Nobody: 2:42am On Jan 03, 2013
greatgod2012: How i wish they actually keep to d vows and not just trying to satisfy their dad, because of the affection between them..........we've heard of notorious virgins, desperate virgins, and even, wicked virgins.
While some are willing to trade theirs for money during desperate times in South America?
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by zangiff(m): 3:23am On Jan 03, 2013
..........waka
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Ewoma45(f): 4:09am On Jan 03, 2013
D movie "american virgin"
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Nobody: 4:13am On Jan 03, 2013
So-called "Purity balls" are an absolute waste of time. Not to mention that they are also bloody creepy.

1 Like

Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by Medley(m): 4:25am On Jan 03, 2013
can anything good come outta america when it relates to ones private life and sexuality?

Well lets hope in change. Since they are the most civilised and believe nobody shld be restricted in the way he/she wants to live.
soon the lady may out grow his dad, even we human beings have failed on our once promised allegience to God.

This one they are using some 'ritual like' method, it does not change anything the law for maintaining the state of virginity will keep condemning the lady until she fails. They just remembered the value in keeping.
Re: Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls by azimibraun: 4:35am On Jan 03, 2013
UndUe pressure! Me wanna knw the concequence of a violation of the Code.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

DNA Tests Show 70% Kids Not Born By Men They Call Fathers In Zimbabwe / Eight Things Happy People Have In Common / How I Spent The New Year Low Key On A Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.