Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,184 members, 7,818,593 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:27 PM

How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? (7995 Views)

What Has Jonathan Done For The Yoruba People / What Has Jonathan Done For Igbo People........?????????????? / What Has Jonathan's Administration Achieved In One Year? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by Iolo(m): 9:55pm On Jan 09, 2013
To look at it objectively without being a GEJ supporter but a supporter of progress no matter the political affiliation of the facilitator, I'd say that GEJ has kept or is trying to keep up on a number of his promises.

Some of them such as building airports in every state probably shouldn't have been made at all as they don't make any sense.

Others such as creating jobs have been fulfilled partially through the Youwin and Sure-P programs.
Electricity generation is coming up gradually. We currently have the capacity to generate I think 7000MW to 9000MW but for gas and evacuation issues at the new power plants. The Geregu pp is almost up and govt has given contractor the go-ahead to construct the 3000MW Mambilla dam. These issues are being worked on. I have also taken time to notice new transformers and some smaller step down units being installed in various parts of Lagos state courtesy NIPP.

The TCN has been handed over to Manitoba, a private international firm for effective management. He is also seeing through the OBJ era privatisation scheme by continuing the privatization process.

In terms of Education, he's opened up the north with the Almajiri schools and more universities. Don't know what he's doing about those in the south.

In terms of Transport, roads rehabilitation has been below par except for the Lagos-Benin and the recent awarding of the Lagos Ibadan portion to Julius Berger and RCC, haven't heard of any other construction anywher else. Trains are up and running across the South west to the North that I know of. I see a lot of Lagosians enter trains daily. These trains run from Ota or so to Iddo and cost just 50 naira, so they are a real money saver to the thousands of people who take them to and fro daily.

He's concluded the Onitsha port. The river Niger is presently being dredged. A huge portion has been dredged already.

The Airports have been refurbished...for the first time since almost all of them were built. We now have a Doppler radar and improved runways for instrument landing.

He's employed the highest number of women in his cabinet keeping his promise for gender equality.

He's sent the PIB to the NASS for passage. The PIB would remove the rubbish that NNPC, DPR, PPPRA presently are and replace them with institutions that would be listed on the stock exchange. The PIB also seeks to renegotiate Nigeria's cut on Joint Ventures with the Oil coys.

He signed the FOI bill into law. OBJ blatantly refused to do so.

He has empowered INEC so we now have elections that have some semblance to what occurs in other sane countries.

He recently removed duty on Airline spare parts to make it cheaper for Airlines to do maintenance. The Aviation ministry also plans to buy 30 aircraft for the various Airlines.

This is what I can remember for now. And I guess one should be able to make an inference from the above.

Our major problem is that the rot is just too much to have it all cleared up in only a few years of GEJs leadership.

1 Like

Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by OsunOriginal: 9:55pm On Jan 09, 2013
sydneyobioha: I'm first to comment though!
He kept his promise on Job creation.. I am one of d benefactor of Youwin initiative.. My cosmetic factory is going to employ not less than 3graduates and 6 O'level holders excluding d security men.. So u can multiply dis figure by 1200 Nigerians that benefitted also?

The bolded disqualifies your assertion that he kept his promise on job creation becuase your statement here is also a promise since you have not imployed those people.

Hence, moderator should delete this not-well-thought-through comment...
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by Iolo(m): 9:57pm On Jan 09, 2013
bright007: He promised to end the Boko haram menace by June 2012..
Its like June 2012 has not elapsed in GEJ's calender!

Did you experience any Xmas or New Year bombings?
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by mactonnyso: 10:06pm On Jan 09, 2013
some guys just like 'o yes 'members club. different opinions means attack
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by kabba7(m): 10:15pm On Jan 09, 2013
was GEJ under the influence of alcohol when he made those promises or did a Boko man point a K2 @ his head ?
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by OsunOriginal: 10:17pm On Jan 09, 2013
Demdem: Am particularly interested in this promise:

6.In Port Harcourt, River State on 12th February 2011 at the launching of his South-South Campaign, Jonathan promised to commence “transformational changes” in the South-South; said the NNPC had begun investing in the petrochemical industry in the region; that the people in the region would be given a voice in the oil and gas sector. He also promised to make the Niger Delta region the hub of the petrochemical industry in Africa.

i could still remember that day that some people died as a result of stampede all because they wanted to hear this lie from the Retardeen. They obviously died for nothing. Eleme petrochemicals is simply just there

Jonathan is a serial liar...
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by vizboy(m): 10:27pm On Jan 09, 2013
I dont get these you guys are here argueing about something that doesnt make sense and they are @aso rock making there money. Any way time to sleep love you all
my promise for you when i become the president of Nigeria. I will make sure i share the national cake 60% for me and 4% for NL and the remainimg percentage for Nigeria.

PLEASE DONT FORGET TO VOTE FOR ME COME
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 09, 2013
J12:

That's all included in the PIB that's being frustrated by northern house of ràpes members.

Please tell me,...what exactly is in the PIB? I presume you already have a copy of the document
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by lacasa: 11:03pm On Jan 09, 2013
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by mkoabiola: 11:20pm On Jan 09, 2013
Leave GEJ alone.
He has jus spent a year and 9mnths.
Dere is stil time.
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by AZeD1(m): 1:14am On Jan 10, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I know this thread was opened for mischief and for the mischief makers to have swell time in LIES and propaganda. However, I will prove CONCLUSIVELY to every fair minded person (and spoil the party for mischief makers) that GEJ makes promises like other politicians but the DIFFERENCE is that he FULFILS most of his promises.

2) Still in Lafia Nasarawa, "He guaranteed a university in every state"

FULFILMENT: 9 new federal universities has been created. They are being built and in fact some of then have COMPLETED the construction of major infrastructure, properly equipped and already COMMENCED operation.
http://prnigeria.com/2012/08/08/federal-university-kashere-holds-maiden-matriculation/
http://www.fulokoja.edu.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38

In addition, only today, the federal executive council approved 3 more BRAND NEW federal universities for 3 northern states: Yobe, Zamfara and
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/fg-approves-three-varsities-for-yobe-kebbi-zamfara/

4) "In Bauchi, Bauchi State on 9th February 2011, Jonathan...establish two universities in the region; construct schools with modern facilities for 9.5 million Almajiris.."

FULFILMENT: it is a well known fact that the FG is building hundreds of Almajiri model schools mostly in the north and southwest. In fact some of them, like the one in Sokoto, have been completed and commissioned
http://nigeriarising.com.ng/photos-videos/photonews-president-goodluck-jonathan-commissions-almajiri-school-in-sokoto/

5) "In Ilorin, Kwara State also on 21st February 2011, Jonathan promised...rehabilitation of the nation’s railway system; rehabilitation of the Ilorin-Mokwa road"

FULFILMENT: it is undeniable that the nations railway system is undergoing massive transformation. Only in December, the Lagos-Kano rail line was completed, tested, and put to use.
That added to the numerous other rail line routes that have been rehabilitated and put to use including the Lagos-Illorin rail line and other intra-city railway services. Other corridors currently under serious construction include eastern corridor(Enugu-PH-north), Abuja-Kaduna(150km per hr and 50% completed NOW), Itapke-Ajaokuta-Warri(150km per hr).
The implication of reviving the rail transport cannot be over-emphasised, including reduced cost of transportation, reduced price of food items, safer transport, longer life span of our roads,etc
http://www.naijapundit.com/news/photo-news-nigeria-railways-begins-lagos-kano-rail-service-at-just-1500-naira
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/04/1000-commuters-move-by-train-to-ilorin/
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/sambo-rehabilitation-of-4000km-rail-lines-in-advanced-stages/126761/

6) "In Abakaliki, Eboyin State on 24th February Jonathan promised the South East geo-political zone priority attention,...dualize the Enugu-Abakaliki Express Road within one year;convert the Federal Medical Centre in Abakaliki to a teaching hospital"

Bros when giving us the achievement of GEJ, don't include "xyz has been approved" because approval == looting until we SEE the project.
Thanks
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by tomakint: 1:19am On Jan 10, 2013
So far so good his 2yrs in office in terms of initiatives, policies, people-oriented projects, education funding, and to an extent, rule of law eclipsed the inglorious, autocratic 8yrs of OBJ and the monotonic 3 and half yrs of Yar'Adua cool Jonathan has good intentions but his party (PDP) remains his archilles heel, that party is the worst thing that happened to the nascent 4th Republic! May God keep Jonathan till 2019 (AMEN)!
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by MANOSUB(m): 5:59am On Jan 10, 2013
If you think GEJ will achieve 60% of his campaign promises, then i ask you to re-think. How can a presidential aspirant go around all the states making different promises when as a central man, you are suppose to focus on what would affect everyone. Maybe he had it in mind to do the work of states governors. To me, he was just making all those promises because he knows what Nigerians wanted to hear, and do not forget that he believes promises can be unfulfilled- "empty promises"
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by stylesco: 6:39am On Jan 10, 2013
Okija_juju: [size=20pt]HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU PAID YOUR TAXES....... angry angry angry [/size]
Its always deducted from ones salary. Businessmen also pay VAT in most of their goods.
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by adamooye5(m): 7:04am On Jan 10, 2013
Fresh air! tongue
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by Nobody: 7:50am On Jan 10, 2013
Can Nigerians crticise without calling names? It's shameful that most Nigerians aren't patriotic. Citizens of most countries don't call their failing leaders names, they critisize, protest & wait for the next election. In N/L most naive 'activists' call their leaders humilating & horrible names such as retardeen, toad, big fools, agberos, among others. The result of this is that we are generally, not only the leader, looked down by the international community...even by countries we are much better than.
Pls, moderators should lock such topics that breed insults & ban any subscriber who writes insulting words. God bless Nigeria!
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by Demdem(m): 7:53am On Jan 10, 2013
Truckpusher: You're right here doing what you know how to do best, who is ur paymaster because I'll be damned if you ain't got any....if you really spend this amt of time everyday in your life cursing and abusing a man that you will never see face to face in your entire life then you must be very very jobless and you need help...pm me ,don't be shy you really do need help

Guess what, u are not only damned but u are doomed. Sorry to disappoint u. I have none Foool.
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by Demdem(m): 7:54am On Jan 10, 2013
J12:

You must be a fool to believe that he'll fulfil all those promises under a period of two years.

Infact u are a bigger foool for believing that he will fulfill all those promises in the next two years when he has not even started most of it. EEdiot.
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by hyelhira: 8:04am On Jan 10, 2013
Okija_juju: [size=20pt]HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU PAID YOUR TAXES....... angry angry angry [/size]

It is the duty of the government to put structures in place to curb/discourage tax evasion. Nobody in the world pays tax willingly.
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by manfred10(m): 8:28am On Jan 10, 2013
Iolo: To look at it objectively without being a GEJ supporter but a supporter of progress no matter the political affiliation of the facilitator, I'd say that GEJ has kept or is trying to keep up on a number of his promises.

Some of them such as building airports in every state probably shouldn't have been made at all as they don't make any sense.

Others such as creating jobs have been fulfilled partially through the Youwin and Sure-P programs.
Electricity generation is coming up gradually. We currently have the capacity to generate I think 7000MW to 9000MW but for gas and evacuation issues at the new power plants. The Geregu pp is almost up and govt has given contractor the go-ahead to construct the 3000MW Mambilla dam. These issues are being worked on. I have also taken time to notice new transformers and some smaller step down units being installed in various parts of Lagos state courtesy NIPP.

The TCN has been handed over to Manitoba, a private international firm for effective management. He is also seeing through the OBJ era privatisation scheme by continuing the privatization process.

In terms of Education, he's opened up the north with the Almajiri schools and more universities. Don't know what he's doing about those in the south.

In terms of Transport, roads rehabilitation has been below par except for the Lagos-Benin and the recent awarding of the Lagos Ibadan portion to Julius Berger and RCC, haven't heard of any other construction anywher else. Trains are up and running across the South west to the North that I know of. I see a lot of Lagosians enter trains daily. These trains run from Ota or so to Iddo and cost just 50 naira, so they are a real money saver to the thousands of people who take them to and fro daily.

He's concluded the Onitsha port. The river Niger is presently being dredged. A huge portion has been dredged already.

The Airports have been refurbished...for the first time since almost all of them were built. We now have a Doppler radar and improved runways for instrument landing.

He's employed the highest number of women in his cabinet keeping his promise for gender equality.

He's sent the PIB to the NASS for passage. The PIB would remove the rubbish that NNPC, DPR, PPPRA presently are and replace them with institutions that would be listed on the stock exchange. The PIB also seeks to renegotiate Nigeria's cut on Joint Ventures with the Oil coys.

He signed the FOI bill into law. OBJ blatantly refused to do so.

He has empowered INEC so we now have elections that have some semblance to what occurs in other sane countries.

He recently removed duty on Airline spare parts to make it cheaper for Airlines to do maintenance. The Aviation ministry also plans to buy 30 aircraft for the various Airlines.

This is what I can remember for now. And I guess one should be able to make an inference from the above.

Our major problem is that the rot is just too much to have it all cleared up in only a few years of GEJs leadership.
This is a reasonable assesment but he has left the most destructive desease which is corruption untouched,his general performance is still less than average.corruption will destroy all he is building in less than 2years.If he goes for corruption he would be tackling 60% of our country's ailment
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by deletrue: 8:49am On Jan 10, 2013
GARRI (x7):
Below are some campaign promises of Goodluck Jonathan in 2011. How far has he come in attempting to fulfill them?

http://www.theinfostrides.com/index.php/topic,74928.0.html

http://ogala./2011/11/18/president-goodluck-jonathans-91-campaign-promises-help-identify-those-he-has-delivered/
If, as at today, someone is still asking this questions, i think such persons requires proper medical care, preferably where people with brain problem are cured. But just in case Garri is about fifty percent normal, then nigerian has much more problems than we are seeing now. This is because, certain individual's character can be measured by thier actions and behavour. In this case, certainly Garri or funfun, whatever you called, must go back to who ever bring you up and make some further enquiries as to how their lineage is. Because you are very far from track.
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by EmmyDe25(m): 8:53am On Jan 10, 2013
abrat: This op bad sha! He wan take style finish GEJ.
I would like to look at it holistically, how many of the leaders including the state govs. have actually fulfil all their electoral promises? They are all the same.

No diff
Is not al abt fulfillin all ur promises but u shud be seen workin. In Gej's case he has only succeeded in bringin abt first clas corruption, wastin of souls, cluelessnes, favouritism, insecurity, terrorism, bombin, fuel subsidy upheaval nd d lyk.
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by EmmyDe25(m): 8:56am On Jan 10, 2013
GARRI (x7):

I'm in a Good mood today so I'm not gonna say more abt the TOAD. But if you've been to Delta State, you'd understand. Delta should ßξ the 2nd Richest State, yet there's nothing on ground to justify the huge allocations...

Let's not derail the thread any further... Has GEJ fulfilled the promise he made when he came to ur state during the 2011 campaign??
Maybe he will in 2019. Now i knw there is notin so special abt names.
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by EmmyDe25(m): 9:01am On Jan 10, 2013
kingoflag:

Good for you. However, all I asked for is an address and/or a phone number so we can verify your story
Why u dey worry ursef. D name no even dey Fanimorous... Dey lyk person wey just dey sell cream 4 one smal shop 4 Ikotun mkt. Baseline cosmetics!
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by Truckpusher(m): 9:02am On Jan 10, 2013
Demdem:

Guess what, u are not only damned but u are doomed. Sorry to disappoint u. I have none Foool.
it took you so long to respond with your normal 'unam abusive style' , you gay azz!!!...I guess after those bruises you got from me the other time, you're trying to avoid me like a plague, right?...Oya scram...eediot! grin grin cheesy grin grin grin
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by Truckpusher(m): 9:08am On Jan 10, 2013
EmmyDe25:
Is not al abt fulfillin all ur promises but u shud be seen workin. In Gej's case he has only succeeded in bringin abt first clas corruption, wastin of souls, cluelessnes, favouritism, insecurity, terrorism, bombin, fuel subsidy upheaval nd d lyk.
Another stark illiterate making contributions from his kiosk knowledge...chai See me see wahala even madmen now dey log into NL begin write madness for normal people to read.
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by Demdem(m): 9:10am On Jan 10, 2013
Truckpusher: it took you so long to respond with your normal 'unam abusive style' , you gay azz!!!...I guess after those bruises you got from me the other time, you're trying to avoid me like a plague, right?...Oya scram...eediot! grin grin cheesy grin grin grin

Foool, i have a life worth muuch more than NL. Only a morron like u will expect a response immediately on a www.
Continue with ur dreaming as long as it gives u a hard on. grin
Not only bruises but shits. what are u even talking about fool undecided
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by OsunOriginal: 9:49am On Jan 10, 2013
EmmyDe25:

And dividing the country along religious and ethinic lines - buying jets for pastors, addressing the country from churches, and going behind again to bomb the churches to blackmail the muslim norths. That guy will go to the Hague for crime against humanity.
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by OsunOriginal: 9:58am On Jan 10, 2013
kutchs:
I know am not supposed to reply this but we‘re not mates academically ok.

Whatever qualification you hold, you are a disgrace to the academia just like your brother Retardinho Jona.
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by Iolo(m): 10:20am On Jan 10, 2013
manfred10: This is a reasonable assesment but he has left the most destructive desease which is corruption untouched,his general performance is still less than average.corruption will destroy all he is building in less than 2years.If he goes for corruption he would be tackling 60% of our country's ailment

Yes you are correct. He needs to speed up his growth rate. In terms of corruption, do you really think GEJ is going to be the one or indeed anyone under the PDP umbrella to fight corruption by sending people to jail?

He's never been a fighter, but I think to an extent he wants to eradicate corruption but the circumstance around him doesn't permit him to do so vigorously. Let me start by saying that Nigeria is a country that requires you have political leverage in order for you to rule. As the president, one of your many leverages is wielding the power to appoint into juicy posts, influencing the award of contracts to the favor of your cronies, and also believe it or not letting those who've acquired stolen wealth live in peace cause they'll be loyal to you, and you never know when you may need them.

The PDP is a party of not one main like or Godfather but one in which there is a collective thinking towards a particular goal amongst several people who hold the ability to raise financial or raise votes. As president, you want more people in your "friends" column than your "enemies" column otherwise things would be difficult for you.

The truth is the minute GEJ or indeed anybody starts fighting corruption, they begin to fight back with whatever leverage they have. They use their stolen wealth and influence to do things. If you don't bribe the judge (which makes you corrupt), they'll be the ones to do so and so on. As a politician, you'll begin to lose friends and gain enemies. Leadership and holding the boat called Nigeria would become even more difficult for you.

The truth is as soon as you attack just a few people within your own political set up. You become a risk to several people. There's hardly anyone who is free of corruption amongst the elite, just look at the reps, senators, top businessmen, and past leaders. If as a president you send them all to jail, you would have popular appeal amongst the masses but very limited appeal to the elite - and don't forget that in Nigeria unlike US the elite are the ones that sponsor elections, no small time person is asked to donate. This means that as soon as its time to campaign for a 2nd term, even though the masses love you to death, you'll find it difficult cause your campaign would be broke. The elite hates you and would try their possible best to stonewall you. You might not even get to win your political party primaries for a return ticket cause everyone of the delegates who is either an elite or is godfathered by an elite hates you.

You also have the fact that proportionally more corruption takes place at the State and LG levels than at Federal level. How does a president fight present governors that are immune to arrest? And if you try fighting the ex-govs you'll definitely lose your sway amongst "the people that matter" as I described up above.

This is my personal opinion, and I have just tried to list out the political implications of a genuine corruption fight and how its going to be a suicide mission for anyone to try (without being an autocratic) including GEJ.

What I can say I see about GEJ is that instead of trying to prosecute people, he has been more focused on closing loopholes. Its now incredibly difficult for you to dupe the Subsidy system as was in the past. And nowadays the budget office has to sign off on any serious money contract to be awarded by the ministries so you'll need a collaborator within there to be successful if you want to inflate contracts.

Another thing he is doing is releasing capital and recurrent budget monies systematically to the MDAs. And you now have to give account of how your 1st quarter budget was spent before you'll get that of the 2nd quarter.
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by Truckpusher(m): 11:06am On Jan 10, 2013
Demdem:

Foool, i have a life worth muuch more than NL. Only a morron like u will expect a response immediately on a www.
Continue with ur dreaming as long as it gives u a hard on. grin
Not only bruises but shits. what are u even talking about fool undecided
That's my boy,...always ranting like a madman grin grin grin grin I didn't get ur pm I have a job for you.It's not a joke -get rich or die trying grin grin
Re: How Many Of His Promises Has Jonathan Kept? by Demdem(m): 11:08am On Jan 10, 2013
[quote [s]author=Truckpusher]That's my boy,...always ranting like a madman grin grin grin grin I didn't get ur pm I have a job for you.It's not a joke -get rich or die trying grin grin[/s][/quote]

Crap.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ANPP Declares Support For State Of Emergency / Evidence Showing SS And SE Senators Killing Lagos Calabar Rail Project--vanguard / Pls Help Before Access Bank Send Me To Jail.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.