Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,142 members, 7,821,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) (5728 Views)

ISIS Fighter Repents To Accept Christ After Allah Sent Him To Hell- SHOCKING / Why Muslim Should accept Christ Is Divine from the bible / Shocking ; Ex Muslim Cleric Says Muslims Must Accept Christ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by MrAnony1(m): 2:49pm On Jan 12, 2013
Deep Sight:

Point taken, but as one well acquainted with the views of M_Nwankwo, let me just inform you that he does not see God as merely free floating love. He also regards God as a definite but transcendental being. As such, his analogy is directed at indicating what he believes it takes to connect with God - that is love, no more, and no less.

Let me add personally that if you really believe God to be transcendental, you would realize that you are belittling God by thinking that he would insist on people knowing of or accepting a particular individual regardless of their cultural, religious and historical differences - whether this individual was God himself or not, or whether this individual was God's son or not - because the mind of God surely transcends such things and looks to the core - the heart.

Now this is not even touching on that which is meant by "acceptance" of christ. For the write-up by Nwankwo above actually shows us that "acceptance" is a mind-state of love and not merely declaration of belief in Christ as Messiah. That is nothing. Surely you know that.

You know, many non-Christians and even atheists; in fact, I dare say most - accept the generality of Jesus's teachings on love. Except of course misguided people like Martian who say that "love thy neighbour as thyself" is a bad teaching, I can safely say that the generality of people regard it as a sound teaching.

The problem lies with the more specific and cult-like teaching that one must accept Jesus the man in person, as personal lord and saviour, and also accept him as God, and only begotten son of God, and further believe that his death on the cross represents ritual sacrificial salvation and redemption for mankind. I do not believe any of these things: and many a sound man who has love for humanity in his heart would similarly disbelieve these things.

Does this amount to rejecting Christ?
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by MrAnony1(m): 2:53pm On Jan 12, 2013
Hi DeepSight, I'll await a post from you on here and then we'll proceed to discuss.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by cyrexx: 3:10pm On Jan 12, 2013
Hmm.

This is gonna be interesting. Discussion between the "wisest, most intelligent nairalander" and the popular apologist for christianity on nairaland.

This will be nothing but interesting.

Let the discusssion begin....
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jan 12, 2013
cyrexx: Hmm.

This is gonna be interesting. Discussion between the "wisest, most intelligent nairalander" and the popular apologist for christianity on nairaland.

This will be nothing but interesting.

Let the discusssion begin....

I dont like christian themed threads where bible quotes will be thrown here and there and so, I will only watch. However, please dont call Deepsight "wise".
After stating that Richard Dawkins is a reetard/foolish numerous times with no remorse. It is one thing to say Dawkins is wrong, which you have a right to, but to claim one of the most intelligent and articulate scientists (backed by evidence) is "daft" is another.
https://www.nairaland.com/1158516/anonys-soul-theory-destroyed-richard#13778644

Anony and Deepsight, please ignore my personal beef and carry on grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by cyrexx: 3:38pm On Jan 12, 2013
Logicboy,

you should have detected my subtle sarcasm when I called Deepsight the "wisest, most intelligent nairalander". grin

It's the kind of praise you give a man who believe his wife is the world's most beautiful woman, you know.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jan 12, 2013
cyrexx: Logicboy,

you should have detected my subtle sarcasm when I called Deepsight the "wisest, most intelligent nairalander". grin

It's the kind of praise you give a man who believe his wife is the world's most beautiful woman, you know.

Sorry, I think my anger got the best of me wink
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by ATMC(f): 4:49pm On Jan 12, 2013
Following
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by NegroNtns(m): 7:19pm On Jan 21, 2013
the sacrifice of jesus, the cross, the walking on water are all symbolic and have a deeper spiritual meaning than mere physical senses can perceive and understamd. many of the themes and symbolism and mysteries of Christianity are remnants of Jewish mystical practices which were adopted legacies of pre- Mosaic times.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by plaetton: 7:55pm On Jan 21, 2013
Negro_Ntns: the sacrifice of jesus, the cross, the walking on water are all symbolic and have a deeper spiritual meaning than mere physical senses can perceive and understamd. many of the themes and symbolism and mysteries of Christianity are remnants of Jewish mystical practices which were adopted legacies of pre- Mosaic times.

Hmmmm. Adopted legacies of pre-mosaic times...., of which civilization?
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by NegroNtns(m): 4:59am On Jan 22, 2013
i am not sure that civilization will be a good time marker to use in this regard since civilizations can span over different prophetic times.

but my reference is in point to nohadic time. this would be the earliest of any trackable social and cultural institutions of human history. that time period gave us the narration of productive work and social relationships and covenants.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by Nobody: 5:46am On Jan 22, 2013
sigh. once again a nice topic is ruined by the obsessive widely off tangent comments of those who claim God doesnt exist but waste 20 out of the 24hrs in their day bawling about him.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by Nobody: 5:49am On Jan 22, 2013
davidylan: sigh. once again a nice topic is ruined by the obsessive widely off tangent comments of those who claim God doesnt exist but waste 20 out of the 24hrs in their day bawling about him.

lol......worse than talking about the non-existent God 20-24 hours a day, I am now addicted to your usual elitist and hypocritical rants against atheists.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by plaetton: 6:05am On Jan 22, 2013
Negro_Ntns: i am not sure that civilization will be a good time marker to use in this regard since civilizations can span over different prophetic times.

but my reference is in point to nohadic time. this would be the earliest of any trackable social and cultural institutions of human history. that time period gave us the narration of productive work and social relationships and covenants.

Nohadic time? which historical period was this?

You can't just pull things out of your hat without explaining what it means.
You have mentioned pre-mosaic time, and now, Nohadic time, without any kind of explanation about these terms mean.

Human history, let me remind you, is not measured on biblical characters.
Biblical chronology is not, and has never been a reliable benchmark for tracing human history.
You cannot say nohadic time without letting us know whether you are talking about 5,000,10,000 or 20,000 BC.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by Nobody: 6:09am On Jan 22, 2013
plaetton:

You have mentioned pre-mosaic time, and now, Nohadic time, without any kind of explanation about these terms mean.

Biblical chronology is not, and has never been a reliable benchmark for tracing human history.
You cannot say nohadic time without letting us know whether you are talking about 5,000,10,000 or 20,000 BC.

kinda reminds me perfectly of the atheist tactic. You know... like those who just post youtube videos or skeletons without telling us exactly what they mean and why they are important? Why is it a problem now?
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by plaetton: 6:21am On Jan 22, 2013
davidylan: sigh. once again a nice topic is ruined by the obsessive widely off tangent comments of those who claim God doesnt exist but waste 20 out of the 24hrs in their day bawling about him.

There must be something about you xtians and your zombie mentality. You seem to think everyone is infected with the disease that affects critical thinking?. That is why you think it's okay for someone to come on a thread and throw around words like pre-mosaic or Nohadic, without any context, that have absolutely no broad academic meaning.

If you are talking about pre-mosaic times, you have to mention with reference to a particular civilisation, Egyptian,Summerian, Babylonian, Akkadian, etc.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by plaetton: 6:25am On Jan 22, 2013
davidylan:

kinda reminds me perfectly of the atheist tactic. You know... like those who just post youtube videos or skeletons without telling us exactly what they mean and why they are important? Why is it a problem now?

You always dissappoint me davidylan. You argue just for argument sake, just like a motor park tout. No broad perspective.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by Nobody: 6:27am On Jan 22, 2013
plaetton:

There must be something about you xtians and your zombie mentality. You seem to think everyone is infected with the disease that affects critical thinking?. That is why you think it's okay for someone to come on a thread and throw around words like pre-mosaic or Nohadic, without any context, that have absolutely no broad academic meaning.

If you are talking about pre-mosaic times, you have to mention with reference to a particular civilisation, Egyptian,Summerian, Babylonian, Akkadian, etc.

You simply responded to my post WITHOUT a shred of thinking. I was not in any way endorsing Negro_nts post. I'm 120% positive nohadic times makes zero sense.

My post was a simple retort on the sheer hypocrisy of folks like you snarling about throwing around words with "context" and "broad academic meaning". Your ranks are heavily populated with people who merely throw around internet memes, plagiarized links from atheist websites, youtube videos, meaningless scientific terms you cannot explain and skeletons all WITHOUT broad academic meaning. When we ask, all we get from you is "go and read".

I'm sure if i asked you a simple question based on your post it would be very apparent that you dont understand the times you babble about either. If google/wikipedia didnt exist i wonder how many of you would last 2 days here.

The one who wants to throw stones should make sure his own isnt built of glass...

oh and by the way, negro_nts isnt christian. You should not jump to conclusions before you have properly researched your subject... one would think a self-professed purveyor of the scientific process would know that.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by plaetton: 6:28am On Jan 22, 2013
^^^^^

And let me repeat, in case you have not learned:

Moses has never been proven to be a bona fide historical figure.
Therefore it is grossly misleading to use the term pre-mosaic in any meaningful discussion.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by Nobody: 6:29am On Jan 22, 2013
plaetton: ^^^^^

And let me repeat, in case you have not learned:

Moses has never been proven to be a bona fide historical figure.
Therefore it is grossly misleading to use the term pre-mosaic in any meaningful discussion.

and who was arguing about mosaic times with you? Apparently you just post without thinking.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by plaetton: 6:34am On Jan 22, 2013
davidylan:

and who was arguing about mosaic times with you? Apparently you just post without thinking.

I guess you have that effect on people , huh? grin
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by Nobody: 7:40am On Jan 22, 2013
plaetton:

You always dissappoint me davidylan. You argue just for argument sake, just like a motor park tout. No broad perspective.

Word misuse alert. You remind me of the republican congressman who once said that "compromise" means they move to our side. To you and your ilk, "broad perspective" merely means see things my way.
I'm amused that you're talking about "broad perspective"... if you had one you would not be accusing negro for using words out of context or without broad academic perspective... that has been the stock in trade of atheists here for the last 2 yrs.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by NegroNtns(m): 9:00am On Jan 22, 2013
plaetton:

are you serious?

in one paragraph you said. history is not measured on biblical characters and pre-mosaic and noahdic will be unacceptable, then in closing you want me to use calendar based on "BEFORE CHRIST" (in other words, pre-christ) to delineate my timelines. How is pre-mosaic unacceptable but pre-christ is acceptable?

are you serious, dude?

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by NegroNtns(m): 9:11am On Jan 22, 2013
plaetton:

we will see how far your academic weight can stretch. egyptian, summerian, babylonian, akkadian.....etc are all biblical settlements and cultures. there is no way you can talk about human history and not reference the bible......no way!

humanity is defined by the bible and I challenge you to prove otherwise. You cannot be more dogged on this topic than huxley was, and i am yet to find an atheist more stubborn and intellectually gifted in nairaland than huxley when he was a member here.

2 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by NegroNtns(m): 9:28am On Jan 22, 2013
davidylan:

You simply responded to my post WITHOUT a shred of thinking. I was not in any way endorsing Negro_nts post. I'm 120% positive nohadic times makes zero sense.

My post was a simple retort on the sheer hypocrisy of folks like you snarling about throwing around words with "context" and "broad academic meaning". Your ranks are heavily populated with people who merely throw around internet memes, plagiarized links from atheist websites, youtube videos, meaningless scientific terms you cannot explain and skeletons all WITHOUT broad academic meaning. When we ask, all we get from you is "go and read".

I'm sure if i asked you a simple question based on your post it would be very apparent that you dont understand the times you babble about either. If google/wikipedia didnt exist i wonder how many of you would last 2 days here.

The one who wants to throw stones should make sure his own isnt built of glass...

oh and by the way, negro_nts isnt christian. You should not jump to conclusions before you have properly researched your subject... one would think a self-professed purveyor of the scientific process would know that.

i deliberately use "uncommon" terms in my discussion for the very reason you pointed out in the bold above; to lure these so called "search engine intellectuals" out of the comfort of google and stress-test their thoughts and insight unaided.

if i had used 20,000bc he can easily probe google to respond.....but when i use something like pre-mosaic he had no valid response..... i wonder if google did not tell him that BC is the same as Pre-Christ.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by Nobody: 10:47am On Jan 22, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

we will see how far your academic weight can stretch. egyptian, summerian, babylonian, akkadian.....etc are all biblical settlements and cultures. there is no way you can talk about human history and not reference the bible......no way!

humanity is defined by the bible and I challenge you to prove otherwise. You cannot be more dogged on this topic than huxley was, and i am yet to find an atheist more stubborn and intellectually gifted in nairaland than huxley when he was a member here.

How dull. You Nigerian history is older than the bible itself. Of course, a Jewish slave like you wouldnt know that.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by Nobody: 10:50am On Jan 22, 2013
Negro_Ntns:

i deliberately use "uncommon" terms in my discussion for the very reason you pointed out in the bold above; to lure these so called "search engine intellectuals" out of the comfort of google and stress-test their thoughts and insight unaided.

if i had used 20,000bc he can easily probe google to respond.....but when i use something like pre-mosaic he had no valid response..... i wonder if google did not tell him that BC is the same as Pre-Christ.

Heard of BCE?

Hmmm?
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by fineworker(m): 11:27am On Jan 22, 2013
Please we should not derail on the aim of this thread. Let us all leave insults and unnecessary arguments and discuss the content of the thread so that we can learn from each other.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by plaetton: 2:28pm On Jan 22, 2013
Logicboy03:

Heard of BCE?

Hmmm?

Thanks for that. I was just about to educate him on this.

Can you imagine this statement that human history is defined by the bible?
Man, the educational system in Nigeria is really really bad. I cannot even believe that an adult, no matter his religious belief, can utter such nonsense in this day and age.

As soon as he said that, I knew there was no point arguing with guy.
Why bother?
This guy should be having this debate with my 11yr old kid in JSS 1.
Anyone, any adult that went through JSS 1 at least, and says boldly that human history is defined by the bible is really really really dumb.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by Nobody: 2:32pm On Jan 22, 2013
plaetton:

Thanks for that. I was just about to educate him on this.

Can you imagine this statement that human history is defined by the bible?
Man, the educational system in Nigeria is really really bad. I cannot even believe that an adult, no matter his religious belief, can utter such nonsense in this day and age.

As soon as he said that, I knew there was no point arguing with guy.
Why bother?
This guy should be having this debate with my 11yr old kid in JSS 1.
Anyone, any adult that went through JSS 1 at least, and says boldly that human history is defined by the bible is really really really dumb.

Worse than dumb! the person is actually a willing Jewish slave, putting Jewish history at the centre of history.

The slave actually forgets that the Chinese were long civilized and advanced befroe the Jews were.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by plaetton: 4:43pm On Jan 22, 2013
Logicboy03:

Worse than dumb! the person is actually a willing Jewish slave, putting Jewish history at the centre of history.

The slave actually forgets that the Chinese were long civilized and advanced befroe the Jews were.

Yeah. I guess when talking about human history, we should as well be talking about Herculian times or era. Afterall, Hercules was a prominent hero in Greek mythology. There are even statues of him all over Greece.

3 Likes

Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by NegroNtns(m): 4:56pm On Jan 22, 2013
Logicboy,

you are frothing dayam too much.

1. if your protege meant BCE, as opposed to BC, the academician in him would have been alert to not trip the fuse and contradict his own earlier response faulting my position on biblical characters. He clearly meant what he said with the use of BC....and discredited himself. thank you though for the damage control....but be mindful of the biblical saying that; "let him cast the first stone who has not been guilty of the same sin". lol!

2. you said nigerian history is older than the bible. i need you to clarify this claim.
(a) do you mean it is older that the written record? or,
(b) that it is older than the historical events narrated in the bible?

3. VERY IMPORTANT: this is probably the first time we are encountering one another in a discussion. be civil....cut out all that insults and nonsense. I will overlook it for now but i will not accommodate it further without a fiery response.

Plaetton,

i go back to my original response which you picked on to start a derail. if i say nigeria pre-bokoharam, it should be clear without the need at first to give granular instruction that this is a delineation of timeline....viz, a restive period and a terroristic period. so i shouldn't have to break nigeria into colonial period, first republic, military coup, war, reconciliation....etc, to present at the entry point of a discussion everything that i intend to share. a discussion is an interactive participation, not a speech. you give a broadview, step back and let your opponent seek clarification or counter the point. you return with more context...and as the back and forth gathers its momentum the depth is revealed resulting in an enriched and enlightened discussion. i don't do copy and paste. i come with stamina and enough steam to outlast you in a debate on religious belief or lack of. i hope you have steam to withstand the mental pressure. now i will restate my first post.

the sacrifice of jesus, the cross, the walking on water are all symbolic and have a deeper spiritual meaning than mere physical senses can perceive and understamd. many of the themes and symbolism and mysteries of Christianity are remnants of Jewish mystical practices which were adopted legacies of pre- Mosaic times.
Re: What Does It Mean To Accept Christ (for Deepsight) by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jan 22, 2013
Go on guys.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Do Christians And Muslims Worship The Same God? / HEAVEN: A Prepared Place For Prepared People. / The Ugly Truth About Jesus!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.