Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,973 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War (21786 Views)

Obasanjo Almost Fainted Day I Shook Hands With Him – Alamieyeseigha.Vanguard / Explosives Abandoned During Civil War Recovered By Police / Ojukwu Used Starvation As A Deliberate Strategy During Civil War. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jan 22, 2013
tomakint:

Ilugun baba, the one and only 'Eze Gudele of Nairaland', Egun magaji kan soso to n de ru bomode! grin grin grin Abeg, Andre spare ilugunboy for now, I am beginning to enjoy the guy for real! Can you imagine ilugunboy wished me a 'Happy New Year' that's a good spirit, unlike that OG (dayokanu) and his she-male (desola) ilugunbaba bu won jooo, o ti poju baba agbaaaaaaaaaaaa grin grin grin
grin grin grin

Life is too short to be living in perpetual hatred....reason I don't like some die-hard Ibos on this forum...like Dende1 and that yeye O'sisi. grin
Re: Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War by Malawian(m): 1:52pm On Jan 22, 2013
I recall one early morning in 1976 when Murtala Mohammed was ambushed in broad day light by Colonel Dimka and his gang, around Alagbon/Ikoyi junction in Lagos and murdered in cold blood in his official Mercedez Benz, less than half a block away from the Udoji Public Service Review Commission Office where I used to work, at the time, as one of the staff of one Mr. M..A.. Soneye, who was later named as Director of the Administrative Staff College of Nigeria in Badagry. The enigma called Obasanjo had a cross section of the coup plotters waiting to blow out his brains, execution style, like they have just done to his boss, Murtala Mohammed.

It was a day in infamy. As fate would have it, however, it was one Air force Colonel, Dumuje, an Obasanjo look-alike, that had his car riddled with bullets meant for Obasanjo, as Chief of Staff, Supreme Head Quarters. Colonel Dumuje had escaped death by a whisker. In the meantime, Obasanjo who was about leaving his staff Quarters at Ikoyi, had to quickly go into hiding, emerging from under the bed at a neighbor's house around Ikoyi, to be named as successor to Murtala. For one more time too many, Obasanjo had cheated death again. You can count several instances of narrow escape for this unusual man of Destiny.

He had several close calls to death before he was named as successor to the Black Scorpion, Brigadier Benjamin Adekunle as the Commanding Officer of the popular Third Marine Commando that ended the Biafran War. Obasanjo did not start the war, but he had the distinction of ending it when Philip Effiong had to surrender to him. The same Obasanjo had barely escaped facing the firing squad or being poisoned in prison like late General Yar 'Adua by the most ruthless of Nigerian dictators to-date, the one and only General Sanni Abacha who had gotten him implicated in an imaginary coup, in much the same way like General Mamman Vatsa was tried and found guilty by a Kangaroo Court, and wickedly executed by his closest friend and classmate at the Defense Academy. Obasanjo is always a survivor. One way or the other, he would be the last man standing.

http://www.gamji.com/article6000/NEWS6848.htm
Re: Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War by Dede1(m): 4:10pm On Jan 22, 2013
ilugunboy:

Lolzzzz...Andre, leave me and Malawian alone....he called me Ode = Mumu first. cheesy

You like saying what you don't know....oya show me the pix of OBJ hiding in any of those places you mentioned. Olodo rabata! cheesy

Illegitimate boy, you are a big disappointment to your ethnicity.

The post above is a classical stream of thought from loudmouthed jackasses. Who would have mustered the audacity to expose the hiding place of Obasanjo during coup by taking photograph of Obasanjo under the bed? It would have led to collateral endangerment of the person who owned the house Obasanjo sought refuge and his\her neighbors.
Re: Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War by Malawian(m): 4:57pm On Jan 22, 2013
Dede1:

The post above is a classical stream of thought from loudmouthed jackasses. Who would have mustered the audacity to expose the hiding place of Obasanjo during coup by taking photograph of Obasanjo under the bed? It would have led to collateral endangerment of the person who owned the house Obasanjo sought refuge and his\her neighbors.

he knows obj was hiding under the bed. its just mischief on his part to demand a picture.
Re: Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jan 22, 2013
Dede1:

Dende1..
Sometimes a pic speak better than a thousand words.
Unless Malawian provide an undisputable evidence ...I will use your words to label what he wrote up there; CONJECTURAL CRAP! grin cheesy
Re: Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War by cheikh: 3:18am On Jan 23, 2013
Tolexander
Those races i mentioned above are different people with different cultures, geographical locations, mentality and melanocyte proportion. Still they belive in one USA.

@^^ Your USA history lesson sounds very plausible but you forgot to add that Nation[/b]do not just happen based on [b]Wishful thinking. Nation states spring/happen- they are defined,articulated,informed, constructed and infact most times fought for it to come into existence hence you are able to see USA and the rest of Western Europe as Nation states without self reflection over your ill informed assumptions about USA. Knowledge is good but half baked knowledge is atrocious/dangerous perhaps in your desirable optimism you overlooked the importance of national ideology and War in the creation of a true Nation since we have deliberately refused to acknowledge our differences etc in our Nigerian domain. We glibly and foolishly wish our history away while the USA you admire have actively used her concocted history to inspire and generate an almost "psychopathic" frenzy and loyalty in her citizens. Such nationalistic zeal/belief in Nation is man-made by intelligent ideologues/minds of every hue in a given society. That is the job of serious Intellectuals who construct/articulate the "Nation" building mission in any serious place the world over. Please look around you and study harder and reflect further on your historical knowledge and lessons. We learn everyday and we can never be too old to learn. Every history or story in our domain cannot be wished away because Nigerian do not want to confront their inherent "demons"- Tribalism,Wickedness, Laziness/lack of serious intellectual rigour, Gullibility and general Poverty of spirit which translates into lack of Empathy for the "Other" yet we wish for "ONE" Nigeria as "Nation" instead of a mere country. We find it very difficult to acknowledge our inherent prejudice/hate for each other especially if the other is of a different "Tribe" or town/place. We have to be serious and Purposeful as a people in order to create a Nation out of the numerous(over 300) ethnic nationalities. Do we really have Men and Women with Vision and Big Ideas in our domain never mind those we foolishly ascribe the word "intellectual" to in the Nigerian domain? USA is a Nation firstly Articulated, Envisioned, Constructed and Ideology Forcefully implemented by Serious dispassionate ideologues of Anglo-Saxon race over the "Weaker" races around them. That is the USA world you and perhaps me too undecided admire. That's how Nations come into being and not by denial of national "history"/stories that may have some redemptive/therapeutic impact on our "sick" and delusional country.
Re: Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War by Nobody: 7:29am On Mar 27, 2013
Who cares ? grin dancing azonto grin
Re: Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War by cheikh: 11:12pm On Apr 05, 2013
aribisalaO
We seem to have many Biafra diehards here. Why are they so bitter

@^^Bros, Most of the so called 'diehards' on NL are not really 'bitter' as you put it but if any Igbo person is "bitter" about Nigeria, it is not misplaced either. For example if you have been a "victim" of war that claims to "keep Nigeria ONE is a task that must be done" or the banal "No victor no vanquished" slogans, without commensurate positive "Actions", it'll generally generate deep resentments etc. I'll rather that so called Nigerians demonstrate some sense of empathy by everyone concerned about the future of Nigeria in the true sense of the word, not wishy washy burying our heads in the sand/wishing that we do not confront our demons/talk about our collective past/recent history. What's the point wanting to be Nigerian from every part of the country if we cannot have a civil conversation no matter how unsavoury it is?. Also, perhaps if you witnessed about nine or more male members of your direct family being murdered in your presence(genocide) by so called fellow country men in cold blood you'll definitely out of humane empathy appreciate the source of the "anger" and "desperation" to disassociate with anything Nigerian.I'll say that Ndi-Igbo are remarkably resilient and forgiving but then that is an African attribute not exactly unique either. [b]Empathy [/b]and a little 'Contrition' on the part of the "actors" who actively participated in the bad/wicked decisions/actions in our collective history is all that's needed not exactly reparations. Many of them are still alive and some with oil blocks as old soldiers cheesy. Please don't believe the hype of internet "Biafrans" grin. Most of them did not witness let alone understand the concept of Biafra e.g. the famous definitive "Ahiara Declaration".
Re: Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War by pazienza(m): 1:15am On Apr 06, 2013
cheikh: aribisalaO

@^^Bros, Most of the so called 'diehards' on NL are not really 'bitter' as you put it but if any Igbo person is "bitter" about Nigeria, it is not misplaced either. For example if you have been a "victim" of war that claims to "keep Nigeria ONE is a task that must be done" or the banal "No victor no vanquished" slogans, without commensurate positive "Actions", it'll generally generate deep resentments etc. I'll rather that so called Nigerians demonstrate some sense of empathy by everyone concerned about the future of Nigeria in the true sense of the word, not wishy washy burying our heads in the sand/wishing that we do not confront our demons/talk about our collective past/recent history. What's the point wanting to be Nigerian from every part of the country if we cannot have a civil conversation no matter how unsavoury it is?. Also, perhaps if you witnessed about nine or more male members of your direct family being murdered in your presence(genocide) by so called fellow country men in cold blood you'll definitely out humane empathy appreciate the source of the "anger" and "desperation" to disassociate with anything Nigerian.I'll say that Ndi-Igbo are remarkably resilient and forgiving but then that is an African attribute not exactly unique either. [b]Empathy [/b]and a little 'Contrition' on the part of the "actors" who actively participated in the bad/wicked decisions/actions in our collective history is all that's needed not exactly reparations. Many of them are still alive and some with oil blocks as old soldiers cheesy. Please don't believe the hype of internet "Biafrans" grin. Most of them did not witness let alone understand the concept of Biafra e.g. the famous definitive "Ahiara Declaration".

I was agreeing and nodding my head,when i was going tru ur post,until the very last sentence.

Can you explain what you mean by saying that young igbos who didn't witness the war,don't understand the concept of biafra. I am all ears.

We(young igbos) didn't witness the war,but we can see the effect of that war all around us. We still have pictures of young uncles who died during the war and pics of elder siblings who died of malnutrition, all hung on our walls,and we have parents who still suffer from post traumatic effects of that war. We still have elderly relatives with one deformity or the other,incurred during the war.

We have other nigerians who keep reminding us of our defeat and still call us biafrans.

So,i am all ears.
Re: Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War by Onlytruth(m): 4:28am On Apr 06, 2013
pazienza:

I was agreeing and nodding my head,when i was going tru ur post,until the very last sentence.

Can you explain what you mean by saying that young igbos who didn't witness the war,don't understand the concept of biafra. I am all ears.

We(young igbos) didn't witness the war,but we can see the effect of that war all around us. We still have pictures of young uncles who died during the war and pics of elder siblings who died of malnutrition, all hung on our walls,and we have parents who still suffer from post traumatic effects of that war. We still have elderly relatives with one deformity or the other,incurred during the war.

We have other nigerians who keep reminding us of our defeat and still call us biafrans.

So,i am all ears.

Nwanne I always enjoy you comments.
Dalu biko. cool

1 Like

Re: Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War by pazienza(m): 10:53pm On Apr 06, 2013
Onlytruth:

Nwanne I always enjoy you comments.
Dalu biko. cool

Eze, odinma.
Re: Obasanjo Almost Lost His Joystick During Civil War by cheikh: 12:06am On Apr 07, 2013
pazienza

So,i am all ears.

@^^ Bros, it's not every topic that one must reply to in detail if you understand my drift. Yes there are a lot of Ndi-Igbo young men/women who may have/not witnessed the war but sincerely their mentality/abject ignorance based on very rudimentary knowledge of self(culture)/society make it absolutely difficult for some to assimilate some good historical/essence of the war. Many come to NL half baked/uninformed to say things that are almost infantile and self deprecating without thinking before opening/typing. Those are the characters I am referring to. These days perhaps with the good reign of Onlytruth some of them have been cautioned/reined in to cut down on some of their ill informed loquaciousness. Yes every Igbo person have lost a lot during the valiant War but the essence/lessons about it seem to be lost to a lot of the youth let alone the rest of sleepy Nigerians who have little or no grasp of national history hence they'll remind 'you' of the so called "defeat"/war. Sincerely, that's not enough excuse to be haughty, ill informed and engage in banal to and fro arguments with historical 'illiterates' lacking in empathy but full of Hate, Jealousies, Envy and Covetousness. In the light of such awareness is it not wise for the youth to tread carefully but very alert/aware of the dangers around, instead of bumbling around foolishly?.
Name calling is natural. It is what ignorant people do because they have nothing else to say based on their ignorance and inherent inadequacies. It's akin to a lazy white working class person calling a well suited city black gentleman/lady names grin. It is no big deal at all. That's what lazy ignorant kids do on the play ground especially on NL. Bro please relax it's not that serious. Keep your thoughts to yourself wink. It is not everything that one should be discussing on a public forum. Every valiant Biafran or not has been scarred by the experience of war directly/indirectly so it is nobody's fault. That's the natural effect of war but the lessons/essence of it is what should be most important to the rest of the survivors . The rest of Nigeria sincerely is unimportant in the self preservation of Ndi-Igbo.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Umahi Donates ₦30M To Adoration Ministry, Begs Mbaka Not To Speak Against Buhari / NAF Airstrikes Eliminate Bandit Kingpin, Dogo-Umaru, 41 Others / Adeleke Begins Salary Payment, Threatens To Sanction MDAs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.