Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,930 members, 7,828,236 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? (12327 Views)

N10million Bribery Scam: Presidency In Dilema Over CCT Chair / Nobody Will Leave PDP For Opposition - Tukur / INEC's Conditions For Opposition Parties’ Merger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Jarus(m): 7:33am On Jan 22, 2013
Deep Sight: Well I must say that one unfortunate reality that is emerging from this thread is the paucity of realistic options for an opposition presidency in 2015. IF Buhari (as seems to be the case from the generality of comments here) is the only realistic opposition option, in a nation of 250 tribes and 160 million people - after 16 years of Democracy - and a full 32 years after the same Buhari took power as Military Head of State; well, that just says a lot for the very sad and limited space in Nigerian Politics.

It also says worse about we Nigerians ourselves: namely that our enlightenment is not yet what we imagine - we still remain grossly unenlightened and "un-emancipated:" otherwise there would be no reason why newer fresher options would not by now have become "realistic" enough for us.

Quite sad really.

Bros, you asked for realistoic option and people gave you and now you want to stifle their choice? Why not put a rule from onset that the only option must be your personal option or so so so person must not be there? angry
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by honeric01(m): 7:35am On Jan 22, 2013
Jarus:

Bros, you asked for realistoic option and people gave you and now you want to stifle their choice? Why not put from onset that the only option must be your personal option? angry

I just tire for some people o. they sometimes post like robots. sad
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 7:42am On Jan 22, 2013
Jarus:

Bros, you asked for realistoic option and people gave you and now you want to stifle their choice? Why not put a rule from onset that the only option must be your personal option or Buhari must not be there? angry

Have helped u hit the nail on the head wela grin grin
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 7:51am On Jan 22, 2013
muslim-muslim is not realistic just as christian-christian ticket.president and vp cannot come from the same region,north or south.my own take ribadu-fayemi ticket.both of them are young.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 7:53am On Jan 22, 2013
Buhari cannot win election in nigeria again.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Wadeoye(m): 7:58am On Jan 22, 2013
Laalamed: muslim-muslim is not realistic just as christian-christian ticket.president and vp cannot come from the same region,north or south.my own take ribadu-fayemi ticket.both of them are young.

Two dense people. PDP will be so happy if the opposition presents them - the election will not be interesting at all.

Who told you muslim-muslim ticket is not realistic. This has happened in the past and it can happen again.

Buhari/Fash ticket will sell like hot cake. How many bigots do we have in Nigeria? All Nigerians want is good governance.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 8:02am On Jan 22, 2013
The fact remains there is no "realistic" alternative to the PDP in 2015. Permutations about this or that candidate/ticket in this or that party/coalition is just what it is: permutations. The peculiar dilemma we face is that the 'ideal' individuals that we would like to take a shot at the presidency have no realistic chance, while the individuals with a (remotely) realistic chance are far from 'ideal'. Let's not kid ourselves.

The only possibility of unseating Jonathan is to deny him the PDP ticket. Only within the PDP itself can a realistic alternative arise for the presidency, and that would take unprecedented horse-trading, conspiratorial alliances, and almost coup-like planning and execution to happen. Even then, such a move would be predicated on tribal sentiments: a combined northern effort to produce a northern president. This would most likely produce one of the present northern governors as candidate. Then again, even this would be extremely difficult to materialise. Nigeria's democracy has not evolved to a point where the rug would be pulled from under the feet of the Commander-in-Chief without him bloodying everyone's nose if need be. This is not like OBJ's ill-fated third term ambition that required a constitutional amendment. In Jonathan's case, it would be a legitimate aspiration for a second term, and so you would expect him to be ruthless. Don't count on him being 'meek' or 'clueless' in that regard. He is the President and Commander-in-Chief, and he knows it.

By the time things begin to get dirty and desperate in the build up to PDP's special convention to select the presidential candidate, I expect Jonathan to deploy the immense powers at his disposal against the governors or anyone else standing in his way (ala OBJ). He would fight dirty - and most likely win dirty. If he gets the ticket, he gets a second term. Simple.

As unpalatable as this may sound, no other party or coalition of parties has what it takes to wrestle power from the PDP for now. Make no mistakes about that.

2 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Wadeoye(m): 8:06am On Jan 22, 2013
pro01: The fact remains there is no "realistic" alternative to the PDP in 2015. Permutations about this or that candidate/ticket in this or that party/coalition is just what it is: permutations. The peculiar dilemma we face is that the 'ideal' individuals that we would like to take a shot at the presidency have no realistic chance, while the individuals with a (remotely) realistic chance are far from 'ideal'. Let's not kid ourselves.

The only possibility of unseating Jonathan is to deny him the PDP ticket. Only within the PDP itself can a realistic alternative arise for the presidency, and that would take unprecedented horse-trading, conspiratorial alliances, and almost coup-like planning and execution to happen. Even then, such a move would be predicated on tribal sentiments: a combined northern effort to produce a northern president. This would most likely produce one of the present northern governors as candidate. Then again, even this would be extremely difficult to materialise. Nigeria's democracy has not evolved to a point where the rug would be pulled from under the feet of the Commander-in-Chief without him blooding everyone's nose if need be. This is not like OBJ's ill-fated third term ambition that required a constitutional amendment. In Jonathan's case, it would be a legitimate aspiration for a second term, and so you would expect him to be ruthless. Don't count on him being 'meek' or 'clueless' in that regard. He is the President and Commander-in-Chief, and he knows it.

By the time things begin to get dirty and desperate in the build up to PDP's special convention to select the presidential candidate, I expect Jonathan to deploy the immense powers at his disposal against the governors or anyone else standing in his way (ala OBJ). He would fight dirty - and most likely win dirty. If he gets the ticket, he gets a second term. Simple.

As unpalatable as this may sound, no other party or coalition of parties has what it takes to wrestle power from the PDP for now. Make no mistakes about that.

Denying gej pdp ticket will further brighten the chance of the opposition. You dont seem to know how people here think.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by PastorKun(m): 8:44am On Jan 22, 2013
honeric01:

Now that you have nothing to say to back up your false accusation, all that's left is to call him despot? what would Jesus do PASTOR KUNLE? Godiswatchingyouowayupfromabove.

Dictionary definition of despot:

despot

[ des-puh t, -pot ]

noun

1. a king or other ruler with absolute, unlimited power; autocrat.

2. any tyrant or oppressor.

Can you honestly say that this definition does not define buhari? Or would you have preferred I label him 'former' despot.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by bigass(f): 8:55am On Jan 22, 2013
If after 16 years of bad governance Nigerians can still think of voting for PDP to occupy the Presidential seat irrespective of the tribes or religion then No hope for this country!
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by PastorKun(m): 9:10am On Jan 22, 2013
bigass: If after 16 years of bad governance Nigerians can still think of voting for PDP to occupy the Presidential seat irrespective of the tribes or religion then No hope for this country!

PDP does not have monopoly of bad governance as we all know the leader of ACN (Tinubu) is the most notoriously corrupt politician in Nigeria. That aside Obj did brilliantly well during his second term even though he messed up by handing over to a dunce. Truth be said it's not the party that really matters, it is the person that occupies the office.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by nuclearboy(m): 9:21am On Jan 22, 2013
Pastor Kun:

My brother you are still giving yourself high blood pressure over that old despot. Abeg take am easy jor. The best buhari can do for this country is to anoint a credible young and dynamic candidate who is in touch with the realities of our time. I have told you countless times that a buhari that was a non performer in his youth can never hope to perform as a disgruntled vision less old hag.

I know how this will pan out! I will state a few things here which you will refuse to address OR failing that, you will weep uncontrollably making no sense in the rants you will spout!

"Non - Performer" -

1. built all Nigeria refineries!
But that's nothing to you since he was acting under orders, right? Yeah, Leke Orubebe, Diezani, Anenih etc built the roads etc they got funds for!

2. Fought and won the only cross border battle Nigeria ever was engaged in, in a blitzkrieg that was so fast that the war was over before even the then C-in-C was aware hekd started the effort! Note that your non-performer returned ALL the funds sent for prosecution of the war (in effect saving the nation extra costs)

3. PTF - need anyone say more?

4. Wiped out, I said WIPED OUT Maitasine, another Boko Haram lookalike! These were Muslims killing Christians and under your non performer, they were totally annihiliated in under a week!

5. Remains the only prominent political figute in Nigeria who has consistently challenged the entire nation (in effect the world) to expose any criminal shenenigans he has EVER been involved in! Here's where the childish moan about 1984 but luckily, history tells us he never committed treason! And I still want to hear who else has that level of respect to NOT be involved in High Treason but find himself primary beneficiary!

6. That administration remains the most disciplined and forthright in Nigeria's history! So forthright that, those who felt he'd allow them play games ended up turning against him because they found it wasn't the case!

@Pastor-Kun: come, start your weeping and gnashing of teeth - show us with FACTS (like Jesus did) where General Buhari was a non-performer!

Else please go preach about tithes someplace else and leave truth to those who use brains, not emotions

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Wadeoye(m): 9:35am On Jan 22, 2013
Pastor Kun:

PDP does not have monopoly of bad governance as we all know the leader of ACN (Tinubu) is the most notoriously corrupt politician in Nigeria. That aside Obj did brilliantly well during his second term even though he messed up by handing over to a dunce. Truth be said it's not the party that really matters, it is the person that occupies the office.

Everybody is now a pastor - even Kunle, the pdp supporter. On that day, Guru Maraji may end up getting lighter punishement than these hypocrites.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by pazienza(m): 9:58am On Jan 22, 2013
bigass: If after 16 years of bad governance Nigerians can still think of voting for PDP to occupy the Presidential seat irrespective of the tribes or religion then No hope for this country!
Hahaha! You just discovered what we knew since like 42years now,of course,there is no hope for naija,'we' are all saddled with the task of seeing to her much awaited demise,join us. Fresh air all the way!
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by honeric01(m): 11:49am On Jan 22, 2013
Pastor Kun:

Dictionary definition of despot:

despot

[ des-puh t, -pot ]

noun

1. a king or other ruler with absolute, unlimited power; autocrat.

2. any tyrant or oppressor.

Can you honestly say that this definition does not define buhari? Or would you have preferred I label him 'former' despot.

so tell us how he is a despot, decisions he took alone, those he oppressed and when/how he displayed unlimited power.

With facts and historical evidence, please hightlight how he oppressed the citizens/masses.

Buhari supporters here are not robots and are willing to learn or know somethings hidden abouy Buhari that's daming to his person.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by nuclearboy(m): 12:21pm On Jan 22, 2013
honeric01:

so tell us how he is a despot, decisions he took alone, those he oppressed and when/how he displayed unlimited power.

With facts and historical evidence, please hightlight how he oppressed the citizens/masses.

Buhari supporters here are not robots and are willing to learn or know somethings hidden abouy Buhari that's daming to his persons.

You want him to call fire down from Heaven? cheesy You need a water, air, fire or earth bender to show such things! What our NL "pastors" do today is throw unsubstantiated threats and accusations around in the hope of hitting something
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by dapotemi: 1:42pm On Jan 22, 2013
GEN BUHARI STOLE MONEY WHILE HE WAS IN OFFICE BUT I THINK HE IS KEEPING ALL THE MONEY HE STOLE SO HE CAN SEND THEM TO HIS LATE GRAND PARENTS WHEN HE GROWS OLD AND JOINS THEM IN DEATH.
The man General Muhammad Buhari has served as a Military Governor, a Petroleum Minister, PTF Chairman and as a Head of state. There is hardly any Retired Military office or civilian that has held as many lucrative offices as he had. Today, General Buhari has no single house in Lagos where he served as a head of state and no single house or plot of land in FCT, yet he stole and has a lot of money. Ordinary commissioners, Ministers, FCT mayors, Senators and house of rep members owns, 2, 3, 4, and more houses in Abuja. Recently, EFCC said some one owns 48 houses in Abuja, yet Buhari has not a single one but he still stole money and has enough money.
General Muhammad Buhari was formerly leaving in a rented house in Abuja, but packed his load and went back to his village when his rent was increased because he could not afford the new rent. Yet he stole and has a lot of money. As a former head of state and petroleum minister, he has not single oil block. All other heads of states and presidents owns multiple oil blocks in Nigeria, but Buhari owns none, yet he stole and has a lot of money.
General Buhari has all his children go through and still going through schools in Nigerian public universities till today. Yet he stole huge money and has a lot of money. Unfortunately, General Buhari lost one of his daughters after she gave birth to a child in a general hospital in Kaduna, when German hospitals and Indian Hospitals has become the 37th and 38th state of Nigerian politicians. Yet he stole money and has a lot of money.
General Buhari was in Abuja on Wednesday with a rickety jeep and when he arrived from Kaduna some mechanics had to come to the CPC headquarters to do some little work on the engine of the jeep so it could be able to take the General back to Kaduna. Honestly, I was ashamed seeing that. Yet he stole a lot of money and he has a lot of money.
During the presidential election, General Buharis house in his home was dilapidating and a Good Samaritan employed people to come and renovate the house without the consent of General Buhari and he even frowned at it when he saw people come to renovate his house without his consent. Yet he stole a lot of money and has a lot of money.
Personally, General Buhari has not given me a dime, even a transport fare and I have not seen him give anyone, please if he has given you prove me wrong. Yet, he stole and he has so much money. I was at the inauguration of the merger committee by general Buhari on Wednesday. No food was served, not even a drink or water. I was so hungry that I have to look for where to eat after the inauguration. Yet he stole and has so much money.
I have heard people say he stole 52 big suit cases filled with dollars or pounds and that he stole 2.5 Billion dollars, even though there is not evidence and subsequent governments has investigated the issues and confirmed it was baseless and lack a single truth. But I still think those 52 big suit cases filled with pounds sterling’s and 2.5 Billion dollars are still in his bedroom and the only conclusion I have is that he is keeping them to give to his late grand fathers when he finally goes to meet them in death. Don’t you think I am right?
Obasanjo, was worth less than #1Million before he became president in 1999, I remember Pastor Bakare said yesterday that he helped to pay OBJs children’s school fees when he was in prison, but today, OBJ has mansions, oil blocks and billions with his mega farm. Buhari has none yet he stole money. Abacha stole so much and even when he is dead, the family is still not able to exhaust his loot and are living big. Buharis family is living with almost nothing, yet he stole a lot of money. IBB was one of those buying PHCN during the privatization by the federal government. Atiku and co owns private Universities, OBJ owns one, and Minister of Niger Delta owns 5 houses and may be more in Abuja and many in Dubai. Almost all former heads of states and presidents owns oil block and refineries abroad. Diezanni Allison the minister of petroleum has his children flying in private jets abroad and living expensive lives while their mother is still here flying private jets and you know how many houses she has got, but Buhari has none, yet they told us he stole so much, 52 big suit cases filled with pounds sterling’s and 2.5 Billion Dollars still inside his bedroom and he has not spent a dime out of it. Then he must be keeping it for his late grand parents who he will give when he finally gets old and joins them in death. Please ask this government or anyone to identify any house in Abuja, Lagos or any other place in Nigeria and the whole world owned by Buhari apart from his home in Kaduna and his fathers house so I will take over them immediately or find out any of his children schooling abroad or any oil block that he owns or any expensive car that he drives so I will be able to take over them. I will be very generous to share them with you. I am just using my tongue to count my teeth now. I hope you will still do the same thing
I am sure I have not mentioned 2015 presidential election. If you like to have headache or give yourself stress, you may mention or talk about it. You are on your own.
God bless Nigeria.
I respectly ask any NL to pls mention any politician in Nig,whether PDP,CPC or ACN etc dat has dis kinda of CV.

2 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 3:30pm On Jan 22, 2013
Gbawe:

If you know me well here you will know that (1) I stick to contemporary politics here and refrain from historical events because it is an area bogged down by subjective interpretation to the extent those who were not there, like many on this forum, can speak vehemently and decisively in favour of the versions of events they wish to accept. Carrying on a debate with folks of such mentality is an exercise in futility. I therefore prefer to talk of things I understand completely and can speak on devoid of conjecture.

(2)If at all I will comment on historical event I will pay respect to the fact I was not present at the times of those events and must not arbitrarily chose versions of events to believe. I will therefore rely on the documentations of events as much as possible by eye witness as the most sensible method to gain a mental picture of events I did not witness or live through. That is how it is worldwide - even if we like to emotionally 'blur' the lines in Nigeria. To that end, it has been stated time without number by those who were present during that period, and even the man himself, that the coup was not a Buhari coup. That is good enough for me.

http://www.elombah.com/index.php/special-reports/13873-muhammadu-buhari-i-never-plotted-a-coup-in-my-entire-career

I have heard this said by people and it never ceases to amaze me. You see; this is one of the problems we have with our way of thinking in this country: the willful determination NOT to take responsibility for our actions and particularly our in-actions.

My dear brother I would expect you of all people to see concisely into this: and just so that we may not dribble this way and that, I will adumbrate the issues here, for which you and others seek to exculpate Buhari, as he does himself: but which must not be heard for by any right-thinking and honest society -

1. Wilfull acceptance of the proceeds or results of a crime renders one an accessory after the fact and thus complicit in the crime

2. The act of taking over the government of Nigeria by unconstitutional means was, at the time perpetuated, an act of criminal treasonable felony.

3. Buhari as the most senior officer in the Military knew this.

4. Haven been "invited" to partake in the act (and of course he did participate in the final stages by making himself available publicly as the new Head of State - - - it is really beyond imagination, that when it is said, that it is treason to take over the Government by unconstitutional means; that "accepting" an illegal invitation so to do; does not amount to "taking over the Government by illegal means" - only Nigerians can imagine such an incongruity to be a valid excuse for treason!).

5. If at all it may be argued, as many have, that he had no choice but to accept, otherwise he would have lost his head; then this fact is obviated by the fact that he was made commander-in-chief: and therein had full powers to repudiate the coup and deal with the offending officers - a fact which cannot be denied for the evident reason that he turned out to be a very strong minded and stubborn leader - and as such it cannot be claimed that he could not have dealt with his subordinates if he had chosen to: and restored constitutionality. This further shows him to have happily accepted the illegality that he had become involved in. Indeed, the statement by the same officers that he was "rigid and uncompromising" shows clearly that he was fully in charge and not taking orders from anybody, even if acting in council.

I will give one example of this truth: although it lies within the take-over of a military government, the principle remains the same: when Dimka's coup was put down, why did the officers loyal to the government act the way they did to put the coup down? That's right - because of their responsibility and loyalty to the government. Now what would you say of such responsibility and loyalty if the officers that so acted, had rather thrown up ththeir hands and said - we have been invited to head the new Government.

Worse - if the proper government comes back to power - what would be its view of the actions of those who "accepted to head the new government"? ? ?

Seriously, Gbawe.

Now I have stated all the foregoing not because i needed to: and members of a sensible society should know these to be inherently true: I have stated them simply on account of the very shocking notion bandied about by many that Buhari bears no responsibility for the coup in question.

As an army officer, his constitutional duty was to protect the state and the government: as such, it is egregiously contradictory to state that after the government he is sworn to protect is illegally attacked and removed, he then abandons his duty to "accept an invitation" to become head of the then illegally established Government. That acceptance is the last and final and most important aspect of the coup, and nobody can argue otherwise.

Indeed, people are co-opted into coups at various statges - he was co-opted at the last stage - to take over as Military Head of State. That amounts to being part of the coup at its final stage. Nobody can argue otherwise.

Now in saying all this, I have not even touched upon his human rights record - which any one should know is incompatible with the idea of an officer and a gentleman - not to speak of a democratically inclined gentleman.

Finally, Gbawe: I am not particularly moved by your statement regarding not commenting on History much for one simple reason: you say you were not there. However the simple fact of life is that you are also not there to observe the generality of current affairs either. The same way you read history and watch it on TV and listen to the accounts of those who were there, is EXACTLY the same way you read current affairs in the papers, and watch it on TV and listen to the accounts of those who were there. Period.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 3:52pm On Jan 22, 2013
Nuclearboy - The foregoing post is for you as well.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 4:16pm On Jan 22, 2013
[b]Buhari being a very senior military officer during his time was busy minding his business when some junior officers (quite a tangible number) decided to take over the govt.
After these officers had succeeded, they called upon buhari being the most senior to head the govt. Now The general had two choices, either to accept or not to.

If he doesn't accept, peeps seems not to understand that his life was at stake here (he is already outnumbered and any officer not in support of the actions of the coupists will surely not live another day) and if he must die, why should he die for a corrupt govt headed by shagari that has just been booted out. The coup plotters were in the majority and had most of the military garrisons at their command. Their is no way the small military formation at the disposal of buhari can defeat them and surely lives may be lost. if any officer was against the actions of the coupists that just succeded, it would have been suicidal to voice out. No one does that. i will like us all to be realistic in our arguments here.

He did accept and of cos brought sanity to the polity as head of states. Buhari isnt desperate neither is he thirsty for power and that was why when those that plotted the coup earlier chief among is IBB decided to boot him out he made sure no life was lost for him to retain his post even as head of states.

It may not have been the best of the best decision for Buhari to make but IMO it was a better decision and of cos his govt impacted positively to Nigerians which outweighs whatever grouse u may have against him. he had his faults and just like any human, isnt a saint.

Morally, Buhari dey campe. Constitutionally, nothing stops him from contesting and of cos wise Nigerians knows that the only realistic candidate that can rescue us from this present miserable status quo of ours as at today is Buhari.

Love him or hate him. Buhari is the man cool[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by LeStylo: 4:44pm On Jan 22, 2013
Deep Sight:

I have heard this said by people and it never ceases to amaze me. You see; this is one of the problems we have with our way of thinking in this country: the willful determination NOT to take responsibility for our actions and particularly our in-actions.

My dear brother I would expect you of all people to see concisely into this: and just so that we may not dribble this way and that, I will adumbrate the issues here, for which you and others seek to exculpate Buhari, as he does himself: but which must not be heard for by any right-thinking and honest society -

1. Wilfull acceptance of the proceeds or results of a crime renders one an accessory after the fact and thus complicit in the crime

2. The act of taking over the government of Nigeria by unconstitutional means was, at the time perpetuated, an act of criminal treasonable felony.

4. Haven been "invited" to partake in the act (and of course he did participate in the final stages by making himself available publicly as the new Head of State - - - it is really beyond imagination, that when it is said, that it is treason to take over the Government by unconstitutional means; that "accepting" an illegal invitation so to do; does not amount to "taking over the Government by illegal means" - only Nigerians can imagine such an incongruity to be a valid excuse for treason!).

5. If at all it may be argued, as many have, that he had no choice but to accept, otherwise he would have lost his head; then this fact is obviated by the fact that he was made commander-in-chief: and therein had full powers to repudiate the coup and deal with the offending officers - a fact which cannot be denied for the evident reason that he turned out to be a very strong minded and stubborn leader - and as such it cannot be claimed that he could not have dealt with his subordinates if he had chosen to: and restored constitutionality. This further shows him to have happily accepted the illegality that he had become involved in. Indeed, the statement by the same officers that he was "rigid and uncompromising" shows clearly that he was fully in charge and not taking orders from anybody, even if acting in council.

I will give one example of this truth: although it lies within the take-over of a military government, the principle remains the same: when Dimka's coup was put down, why did the officers loyal to the government act the way they did to put the coup down? That's right - because of their responsibility and loyalty to the government. Now what would you say of such responsibility and loyalty if the officers that so acted, had rather thrown up ththeir hands and said - we have been invited to head the new Government.

Worse - if the proper government comes back to power - what would be its view of the actions of those who "accepted to head the new government"? ? ?

Seriously, Gbawe.

Now I have stated all the foregoing not because i needed to: and members of a sensible society should know these to be inherently true: I have stated them simply on account of the very shocking notion bandied about by many that Buhari bears no responsibility for the coup in question.

As an army officer, his constitutional duty was to protect the state and the government: as such, it is egregiously contradictory to state that after the government he is sworn to protect is illegally attacked and removed, he then abandons his duty to "accept an invitation" to become head of the then illegally established Government. That acceptance is the last and final and most important aspect of the coup, and nobody can argue otherwise.

Indeed, people are co-opted into coups at various statges - he was co-opted at the last stage - to take over as Military Head of State. That amounts to being part of the coup at its final stage. Nobody can argue otherwise.

Now in saying all this, I have not even touched upon his human rights record - which any one should know is incompatible with the idea of an officer and a gentleman - not to speak of a democratically inclined gentleman.

Finally, Gbawe: I am not particularly moved by your statement regarding not commenting on History much for one simple reason: you say you were not there. However the simple fact of life is that you are also not there to observe the generality of current affairs either. The same way you read history and watch it on TV and listen to the accounts of those who were there, is EXACTLY the same way you read current affairs in the papers, and watch it on TV and listen to the accounts of those who were there. Period.

It's quite obvious that the OP is more interested is judging the character and person of GMB after noting to his dismay that he remains the most popular candidate by public opinion. Even those who do not subscribe to his candidature can hardly figure out any option as formidable.
GMB is not Christ, certainly not! But he's of the few angels alive who trod the confines of public service. And i stand to be corrected!
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DVanguard: 4:55pm On Jan 22, 2013
The election of 2015 is going to be a very tough electioneering period. Politicians are calculating based on strenght and figures of most area with high eligibile voters. If PDP sticks with GEJ, it will be a very big battle but GEJ might still emerge but tight depending on GEJ's opponent from Merger party.
The 2011 voters register and the political calculation for voting pattern.
Lagos 6,247,845
Ogun 1,869,326
Osun 1,293,967
Ondo 1,558,975
Ekiti 750,753
Oyo 2,577,490
Total(SW) 14,298,356

Abia 1,481,191
Anambra 1,758,220
Enugu 1,301,185
Imo 1,611,715
Ebonyi 876,249
Total(SE) 7,028,560

Edo 1,412;225
Delta 1,900,055
Bayelsa 472,389
Akwa Ib 1,714,781
RIvers 2,419,057
C/Rivers 1,018,550
Total(SS) 8,937,057

Jigawa 1,852,698
Kano 5,135,415
Katsina 2,931,668
Kaduna 3,565,762
Kebbi 1,603,468
Sokoto 2,065,508
Zamfara 1,746,024
Total(NW) 18,900,543

Adamawa 1,714,860
Bauchi 1,835,562
Borno 2,730,368
Gombe 1,266,993
Taraba 1,308,106
Yobe 1,182,230
Total(NE) 10,038,119

Benue 1,415,162
Kogi 1,215,405
Kwara 1,115,665
Nassarawa 1,224,206
Niger 721,478
Plateau 1,983,453
Total(NC) 7,675,369
With the present parties and their strenght
PDP - SS (5 states) , SE (6 states) , NC ( 50% of 5 states + F.C.T), NE (4 states,
ACN - SW (6 states), SS (1 state), NC ( 40% of 3 states), NE ( 2 states)
CPC - NW (6 states), NE (4 states), NC (60% of 4 states)
ANPP - NW (2 State), NE (3 States), NC (2 States).

IF PDP picks GEJ: the opposition candidate will be very strong and accepted totally by the Northern elite as long as Buhari is not the presidential candidate but can be an endorsed candidate of Buhari.
Possible candidate and reasons;
El Rufai / Fashola;
i know some people will say it a muslim muslim ticket, yes it is but it wont hold water cos of the region the come from. Fashola is from a region that dont care ur religion but what you can offer. the region also is the second largest voters in the country after the region El rufia is from.
Their strenght in terms of states:
North west: 70% vote will support for El Rufai cos of Buhari's influence and some notable Northern elite who would prefer him to Buhari in office and cos he is a northerner.
South west: 70% Vote will support cos of Fashola's personnality
North east: 60% vote will also support El rufia cos of Buhari's influence and some notable Northern elite who want power shift at all means and prefers him to Buhari.

Their Weakness:
North central: Because of the problem btw the middle belt and the northern oligarghy they would prefer a christain northerner to a muslim northerner. the muslim muslim ticket would be a big blow. But nevertheless places like Kwara ( 40% vote) Niger, Nasarawa, Kogi and benue. the required 25% vote required will be achieved.
South East: No go area. can have up to 20% vote
South South: Just one state cos of the Edo state governor. Akwa Ibom but depends alot on Akpabio's stand.

With this permutation. the voting pattern goes as follow.
North West: 70% of 18,900,543 = 13, 230, 380
South West: 70% of 14,298,356 = 10,008,849
North East: 60% of 10,038,119 = 6,022,871
North Central; 40% of 7,675,369 = 3,070,147
South South: 10% of 8,937,057 = 893,706
South East: 10% of 7,028,560 = 702,856
Total vote: 33,928,809.

2 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Eziachi: 5:40pm On Jan 22, 2013
Laalamed: muslim-muslim is not realistic just as christian-christian ticket.president and vp cannot come from the same region,north or south.my own take ribadu-fayemi ticket.both of them are young.
What exactly is the difference between a normal Nigerian Christian/Moslem? Nothing! as they are both bigots, just the way they expresses it differs.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 5:48pm On Jan 22, 2013
Le Stylo:

It's quite obvious that the OP is more interested is judging the character and person of GMB after noting to his dismay that he remains the most popular candidate by public opinion. Even those who do not subscribe to his candidature can hardly figure out any option as formidable.
GMB is not Christ, certainly not! But he's of the few angels alive who trod the confines of public service. And i stand to be corrected!

I do not dispute. I merely entered into a tangent with Gbawe and Nuclearboy on the moral and historical propriety of his candidature. Its the same way I regard IBB's attempt in 2007 to be odious.

Left to me, NO former military ruler should be considered for democratic office in Nigeria.

On resumption as democratic President in 1999, OBJ did a VERY smart thing: he retired ALL serving military officers who had ever held any political office. There was deep wisdom in this, and we would do well to see the point therein. Today we have a largely apolitical military and that action is one of the reasons for that.

Lastly, be careful when you equate NL popular opinion to the popular opinion of Nigeria in general.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Gbawe: 6:00pm On Jan 22, 2013
Deep Sight:

Seriously, Gbawe.

Man mi, OK you win. Buhari is this and that. Thus he is disqualified by Deep sight and all the kingmakers and influential stakeholders, on the ground, are therefore compelled to comply from now henceforth. If Buhari emerges the candidate of the merger, what will all what you wrote here against the man have amounted to?

You should simply respect the opinions of others and move on instead of diverting focus from the topic of the thread. You cannot expect everyone to share your view that Buhari is not a "realistic option" and I expect, when the real business begins, you will see how inconsequential your position is given that those who will 'kingmake' for the mega Party will certainly not think rigidly or as judgementally as you do. They will simply be looking for the candidates who represent the best chance of wrestling power from the PDP and not whistle-clean reincarnations of Jesus.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 7:12pm On Jan 22, 2013
Gbawe:

Man mi, OK you win. Buhari is this and that. Thus he is disqualified by Deep sight and all the kingmakers and influential stakeholders, on the ground, are therefore compelled to comply from now henceforth. If Buhari emerges the candidate of the merger, what will all what you wrote here against the man have amounted to?

You should simply respect the opinions of others and move on instead of diverting focus from the topic of the thread. You cannot expect everyone to share your view that Buhari is not a "realistic option" and I expect, when the real business begins, you will see how inconsequential your position is given that those who will 'kingmake' for the mega Party will certainly not think rigidly or as judgementally as you do. They will simply be looking for the candidates who represent the best chance of wrestling power from the PDP and not whistle-clean reincarnations of Jesus.

Please note: I have not, via my arguments above, sought to say that he is not a realistic candidate. If anything, I already conceded that somewhere along the thread. My argument re: realistic; was limited to saying that he would not sell in the south. That's all I said as per 'realistic'.

The arguments above are a tangent - and I acknowledged that I was digressing from the thread explicitly - I said so. My comments above are a tangent arising from your own comments in response to my tangential question: whether Buhari is a morally or historically apt choice for a self-respecting nation.

This has little bearing on the thread; for which the question is who will make a realistic candidate with sufficient pull to un-seat the PDP at the Federal Level. From comments here, it seems Buhari is the leading option still. I already noted that since he also appears the only realistic option, that too, is a sad commentary on Nigeria and the limited space of Nigerian Politics.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Wadeoye(m): 8:04pm On Jan 22, 2013
Deep Sight:

Please note: I have not, via my arguments above, sought to say that he is not a realistic candidate. If anything, I already conceded that somewhere along the thread. My argument re: realistic; was limited to saying that he would not sell in the south. That's all I said as per 'realistic'.

The arguments above are a tangent - and I acknowledged that I was digressing from the thread explicitly - I said so. My comments above are a tangent arising from your own comments in response to my tangential question: whether Buhari is a morally or historically apt choice for a self-respecting nation.

This has little bearing on the thread; for which the question is who will make a realistic candidate with sufficient pull to un-seat the PDP at the Federal Level. From comments here, it seems Buhari is the leading option still. I already noted that since he also appears the only realistic option, that too, is a sad commentary on Nigeria and the limited space of Nigerian Politics.

He will not sell to who in the south? South West or South East?

We know if GEJ contests, South South will still vote out of sentiment for their son though the generality of the people of South South will get nothing from his presidency. So, take south south out of discussion - whoever the opposition presents will not get any vote from South South.

South West dont have anything against Buhari and he will win South West 80 - 90% if the merger works.

Does Igbos not wanting to vote for Hausa/Fulani now mean the whole of south is opposed to Buhari? Who in the north can win SE votes if GEJ contests?

You are not been realistic yourself and you are here asking for realistic suggestion.

Buhari/Fashola or Buhari/Oshiomole is the answer.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 8:29pm On Jan 22, 2013
Wadeoye:

He will not sell to who in the south? South West or South East?

We know if GEJ contests, South South will still vote out of sentiment for their son though the generality of the people of South South will get nothing from his presidency. So, take south south out of discussion - whoever the opposition presents will not get any vote from South South.

South West dont have anything against Buhari and he will win South West 80 - 90% if the merger works.

Does Igbos not wanting to vote for Hausa/Fulani now mean the whole of south is opposed to Buhari? Who in the north can win SE votes if GEJ contests?

You are not been realistic yourself and you are here asking for realistic suggestion.

Buhari/Fashola or Buhari/Oshiomole is the answer.

Well since you agree that Buhari cannot get anything from the SS or SE, then that leaves the SW as the only bone of contention, right? You say that he will get votes from the SW if ACN supports him. But I say that this is not true. The Ribadu precedent is there. He was the ACN candidate, and while the SW electorate went ahead to vote for ACN Governors and parliamentarians, they rejected the ACN Northern Presidential candidate in favour of GEJ.

As far as I am concerned, Buhari is not any more palatable to the SW electorate than Ribadu was. If anything, the SW electorate have a strong tradition of rejecting perceived tyrants, and like I said before, I doubt that they would ever vote an ex-Military Head of State - not even Murtala Mohammed if he were alive - as president. Remember the OBJ case - a Yoruba man himself! - serially rejected by the SW electorate for same reasons. How much more likely is it then, that they would vote a northern ex military Head of State? As such, it seems to me that the entire south will still reject a Buhari Candidacy.

Yes, I agree that the candidacy may have a chance in the SW with Fashola on board as running mate, but at best that will only split things up. There will still be large swathes that will reject the notion simply on account of Buhari. Especially as they know that the VP slot has no powers whatsoever. Finally, be careful about Fashola's popularity. I know very well that he has become deeply unpopular among the lower and poorer classes in Lagos for many of the recent measures he has taken - measures, which, of course, he would never have taken in his first term.

At the very best, such a ticket will split the SW presidential vote. Many would still go for GEJ as opposed to Buhari, I tell you.

This discussion has made me weary. It has made me feel that there is no real present hope to unseat PDP at the centre.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by nuclearboy(m): 8:31pm On Jan 22, 2013
cheesy

Nice attempt, DeepSight, but even better that you acknowledge your attempt died in the starting blocks!
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by nuclearboy(m): 8:38pm On Jan 22, 2013
Deep Sight:

Well since you agree that Buhari cannot get anything from the SS or SE, then that leaves the SW as the only bone of contention, right? You say that he will get votes from the SW if ACN supports him. But I say that this is not true. The Ribadu precedent is there. He was the ACN candidate, and while the SW electorate went ahead to vote for ACN Governors and parliamentarians, they rejected the ACN Northern Presidential candidate in favour of GEJ.

As far as I am concerned, Buhari is not any more palatable to the SW electorate than Ribadu was. If anything, the SW electorate have a strong tradition of rejecting perceived tyrants, and like I said before, I doubt that they would ever vote an ex-Military Head of State - not even Murtala Mohammed if he were alive - as president. Remember the OBJ case - a Yoruba man himself! - serially rejected by the SW electorate for same reasons. How much more likely is it then, that they would vote a northern ex military Head of State? As such, it seems to me that the entire south will still reject a Buhari Candidacy.

Yes, I agree that the candidacy may have a chance in the SW with Fashola on board as running mate, but at best that will only split things up. There will still be large swathes that will reject the notion simply on account of Buhari. Especially as they know that the VP slot has no powers whatsoever. Finally, be careful about Fashola's popularity. I know very well that he has become deeply unpopular among the lower and poorer classes in Lagos for many of the recent measures he has taken - measures, which, of course, he would never have taken in his first term.

At the very best, such a ticket will split the SW presidential vote. Many would still go for GEJ as opposed to Buhari, I tell you.

This discussion has made me weary. It has made me feel that there is no real present hope to unseat PDP at the centre.

If as you say, the SW rejects tyrants and tyranny, methinks they will reject a 2012 tyrant (fuel subsidy photos of General Sani Jonathan strike a nerve?) over one from 30 years ago!
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 8:43pm On Jan 22, 2013
nuclearboy:

If as you say, the SW rejects tyrants and tyranny, methinks they will reject a 2012 tyrant (fuel subsidy photos of General Sani Jonathan strike a nerve?) over one from 30 years ago!

Ah well, that is to be seen. Yes, the subsidy thing will indeed be a pain in the neck for GEJ at election time. I guess that is why he has tried to put it in the cooler. If he wins a second term, be rest assured there will be full removal of subsidy and he will not look back. Any attempt to revisit the subsidy thing now will seriously hurt his 2015 campaign. Just the way Fashola gave Okada riders helmets and rode through the highways with them at his side during campaigns, only to ban Okada in his second term. Na so my broda.

Make I go complete Chapter 14 of my book jaare. E too sweet.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by honeric01(m): 8:54pm On Jan 22, 2013
nuclearboy:

You want him to call fire down from Heaven? cheesy You need a water, air, fire or earth bender to show such things! What our NL "pastors" do today is throw unsubstantiated threats and accusations around in the hope of hitting something

Unless him wan burn patapata, me sef na "pastor" on my own. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Lagos/Ibadan Expressway To Be 10 Lanes —FERMA / Soldiers Rescue 38 Women And 42 Children From Boko Haram Captivity In Borno.pics / Court Orders Senator To Pay Damages For Slapping Newspaper Vendor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 203
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.