Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,951 members, 7,835,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? (12342 Views)

N10million Bribery Scam: Presidency In Dilema Over CCT Chair / Nobody Will Leave PDP For Opposition - Tukur / INEC's Conditions For Opposition Parties’ Merger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by pazienza(m): 6:22am On Jan 21, 2013
Wadeoye: Buhari/Oshiomole. I dont see making an igbo man vp adding any value to the dream of evolving an alternative platform, otherwise, someone like ngige would have been a good vp candidate.
Yea bro,the igbo won't add any value to your already doomed plan. Carry go. Ndi ara.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by pazienza(m): 6:24am On Jan 21, 2013
Yea,abiola called the igbo bluff,but wait o! Where is abiola today? Buhahaha!

3 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Olaposij(m): 6:33am On Jan 21, 2013
I don't think buhari can ever win d presidential election in dis country. He is definitely going τ̲̅ȍ get block votes from d core north, however the middle belt will never vote for him.. I don't see him winning in Taraba, benue, plateau, Kogi, and kwara state.. He can never win the SE and SS even if he campaigns for 1 million years.. And the SW?? He has an occultic following amongst some youths of SW.. But will the average market woman vote for him.. NO i don't think so. He is never goin τ̲̅ȍ win the SW.. He cld win just lagos state cos of d influence of Tinubu.. A Buhari/Fashola ticket will even make his chances worse cos the greatest fear Nigerians have of Buhari is his religious and tribalistic excesses. A Muslim/muslim ticket won't help him at all..

2 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Maxymilliano(m): 6:42am On Jan 21, 2013
The only realistic option for opposition presidency in 2015 is Buhari, can't say much on who should be the running mate.

Perception is reality, and peoples perception of him was reflected in the voting pattern in the last election.

This was even before the mayhem that greeted the aftermath of the election which resulted into lost of lives.

Buhari will need to do more to improve on negative perceptions of him, especially down South.

The merger can only guarantee him the ticket, not the votes.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 7:00am On Jan 21, 2013
The realistic option is any option!
I don't see me ever voting for the r.etard!

4 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Gbawe: 7:12am On Jan 21, 2013
Deep Sight:

Why risk a controversial candidate at all if you are determined to seize the presidency from the PDP? Why not shop for someone without such "baggage"?

Buhari is not "controversial" in the North. He did well in the North in 2011. His 'Achilles heel' is the image problem he has in the South. That can always be worked on by pairing him with a popular Southern achiever like Fashola. In all of this, let us not forget that Buhari is a huge vote-winner in the North. Buhari is not my first choice but I would not mind him in 2015 at all because of two things.

(1) He can win votes in the North ,better than almost anyone else that comes to mind, that will contribute to the defeat of the PDP. Of course permutations change if GEJ fails to gain the ticket and the PDP goes for broke with a popular Northerner.

(2) I envisage he will be the character to do what Nigeria needs more than anything else. The deployment of square pegs in square holes. He is one of the few characters amongst our prominent Politicians who will fearlessly give the radical leaders of tomorrow a chance. We will see appointments like Femi Falana as AGF and Ribadu as Petroleum Minister. Buhari will likely seek to succeed on the template of using proven achievers and men of principles. He will then provide the protection that will allow these guys get on with the job of transforming Nigeria. Anyone who is dedicated to doing that ,as President, will resolve most of the major problems of Nigeria in record time. That is what we want instead of the naff gradualism of the PDP.

4 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by nuclearboy(m): 7:22am On Jan 21, 2013
^ I'll add to Gbawe's post one more point

[3] Nigeria's international image will be corrected under Buhari! We will feel a sense of pride carrying passports that currently stand as a badge of shame!

But the current establishment? They will gnash teeth and wail under such a government!

2 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by kaze4blues(m): 7:25am On Jan 21, 2013
Big kudos to d poster...really ignites my hope of a better nigeria plus d fact dt naija stil boasts of sensible youths unlik d usual gej apologists who av traded thr future in xchange for tokens.

Big kudos also to those who av contributedd so far.

My analysis wil mainly deal wt d southwest...

SW is a complete no go area for gej/pdp come 2015. D reasons re simple nd straight, southwesterners re enlighteneddd group of ppl who believe in holddin leaders accountable.

Pdp/gej av proved to b a failure in d SW.
D various govnors under acn re also doin we'll in thr respective states so ds is a boost for acn.

If fashola is presented frm d sw, dden all ddt remains is for d north to present a viable candidate like buhari.
Buhari wil stil win in d sw. I voted for gej in 2011 based on sentiments lik many oda ppl bt thns av changed nw.

Best thn wil b for pdp not to present gej or else dey wil lose d election.

We youths need to face d reality, pdp has no future for ds country. By fallin to thr gimmicks, we re riskin our future.

Ac n av proven to b a better party compared to d pdp, atleast we av seen dt in d sw.

Gudluk to d merger..

3 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by kaze4blues(m): 7:34am On Jan 21, 2013
pazienza: Yoruba and northern alliance again? No suprise there,it's the same bed fellows of the nigerian civil war fame. But be rest assured that your plans will fail. GEJ till 2019. Enjoy the fresh air,while it lasts.

Ds is one of d hopeless youths we re talkin abt, u re blinded by ethnicity nd tokens u receive.

Re u satisfied wt d current situatn of thns in d country under gej.
For how long shal we fail to address d main prob of ds country, visionless leadership.

Even a toddler knows ddat fashola in his little capacity as govnor has done better nd appears visionary than ur clueless gej.

Wisen up....pdp has nothn gud to offer ds country

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by PastorKun(m): 8:22am On Jan 21, 2013
nuclearboy: ^ I'll add to Gbawe's post one more point

[3] Nigeria's international image will be corrected under Buhari! We will feel a sense of pride carrying passports that currently stand as a badge of shame!

But the current establishment? They will gnash teeth and wail under such a government!

Trust my brother to come out blazing to support the buhari agenda. grin
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 8:41am On Jan 21, 2013
Deep Sight:

Lol, come on, no one ever said that, come on! Buhari personally killing corpers? Lol.

Actually, i have heard such things here in PH. It shows the level of unjustified hatred they have against this General
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:51am On Jan 21, 2013
No combination other than Jesus Christ (as President) & Obama (as Vice) running under PDP can unsit President Jonathan..

And we all Know that even Jesus would not be able to win PDP primaries in Nigeria..

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 8:56am On Jan 21, 2013
omo alaro: From a recent survey, result from 31,255 respondents shows clearly that a combination of Buhari and Fashola is the liberation ticket we need in Nigeria to get out of this quagmire. This is why the merger talk must never fail.

Summary Report - Jan 13, 2013
Survey:Pulse of the Nation
1. My candidate in the 2015 presidential election is:
Jonathan 8.9%
Lamido 3.3%
Okojo-Iweala 3.0%
Buhari 32.0%
el Rufai 6.8%
Ribadu 4.6%
Atiku 3.2%
Nnamani 1.3%
Babangida 2.3%
Fashola 32.6%
Tinubu 2.0%

Value Count Percent %

Jonathan 2,797 9.0%
Lamido 1,041 3.3%
Okojo-Iweala 938 3.0%
Buhari 10,007 32.0%
el Rufai 2,133 6.8%
Ribadu 1,432 4.6%
Atiku 1,003 3.2%
Nnamani 402 1.3%
Babangida 717 2.3%
Fashola 10,174 32.6%
Tinubu 611 2.0%
Statistics
Total Responses. 31,255

https://students.sgizmo.com/reportsview/?key=214565-1724204-8fb4a021557db8f873c4af914f98fc2f

Jonathan 8.9%
Lamido 3.3% - Very credible Northern leader and has my vote any time!
Okojo-Iweala 3.0% International Banker...Don't trust her agenda
Buhari 32.0% - Very credible Northern leader and has my vote any time!
el Rufai 6.8% - Very credible leader and has my vote any time!
Ribadu 4.6% - Very credible and has my vote any time!
Atiku 3.2% He will mortgage our country.
Nnamani 1.3% A Stooge a.k.a Minion
Babangida 2.3% - Respect yourself.
Fashola 32.6% - Very credible and has my vote
Tinubu 2.0%Who?

2 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 8:58am On Jan 21, 2013
whether PDP, ACN, NNPC, they're all theives, they dont have us in mind.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by honeric01(m): 9:04am On Jan 21, 2013
Buhari as a northerner.
Fashola as a vice or Oshiomole

Apart from these 2, i don't anyone able to stand anyone from PDP come 2015.

My realistic say.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by ritux: 9:05am On Jan 21, 2013
What is so special about Buhari self. Even when he turns 100, some people will still want him to rule. Yet this same pple will still be the once singing to their kids that they are the leaders of tomorrow.
Well, I have been hearing people on this forum saying Fashola is working but I have never heard of same for any northern state governor. If not for the federal character rubbish that has been put in Nigeria politics by all the political parties, I would have gone for

FASHOLA, AKPABIO and OSHIOMOLE

With any of them as President or Vice.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by bappahman: 9:08am On Jan 21, 2013
So far so good..the thread is sensible nd we are having great contributions...soon immature tribal nd religious dogs will spoil it...,
Why I want the opposition to win is the fear of loosing will make leaders stand up nd be very people oriented
I will vote for Buhari/Fashola cos they will definitely be a little better than GéJ/Sambo

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by anydek: 9:10am On Jan 21, 2013
The best and realistic candidates:Buhari/ Osho Baba.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Oahray: 9:21am On Jan 21, 2013
Wadeoye: Buhari/Oshiomole. I dont see making an igbo man vp adding any value to the dream of evolving an alternative platform, otherwise, someone like ngige would have been a good vp candidate.
lol. PDP would not let Oshiomhole contest. He is yet to disprove the 'educational qualification' scandal. From the look of the plenty evidence, he has no real certificates. PDP would drag his as.s to court the moment he publicly declares his presidential ambition.

Try Fashola for president. I don't like Buhari. Idiagbon was the real ruler in their regime.

IMO, Jona is completing his 8yrs as elected presido. This is Naija.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by PointB: 9:25am On Jan 21, 2013
For starters, buhari or whatever names he chooses to use during in 2015 will not win 2% of the votes in the SE/SS, he will need at least 25% least we forget.

Adding fashola to the ticket will only split Lagos state as the non-indigene population of Lagos State will be reminded that Nigeria is a pluaristic society, and a muslim/muslim is not reflective of the reality of the country. The elitist demeanor of Fashola, and the Tinubu influence will only add icing to the cake. The chance of buhari winning Lagos State will be considerable narrowed.

The ideal ticket for the 2015 election is the one that respects fairness, equity, and justice. And such ticket must respect the wishes of the core north, SE and SS. The Yorubas have just finished a disastrous 8 years, no thanks to Obj, other parts of the country deserves a shot at the presidency.

It is rather too early to throw up names now. Last quarter of 2013 and the whole of 2014 is more appropriate.

That said, it is very idiotic to even start suggesting an old man and a very bigoted buhari or a muslim/muslim ticket.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 9:25am On Jan 21, 2013
anydek: The best and realistic candidates:Buhari/ Osho Baba.

Osho baba is cool but will still be on duty in edo by that time.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by fagin1982(m): 9:28am On Jan 21, 2013
Why this funny love for Buhari...Majority of the people clamouring for Buhari Leadership were not even born then when he was a military president...Majority also should take thr time and study his antecedents..Buhari is not what Nigeria needs in this modern times...Politics , democracy has gone far away from wickedness and shear military brutality...We as a nation needs a Leader with vision, a modern day Man , a technocrat ,a brigde builder , a non tribalist , a humble servant with zero tolerance for indiscipline and corruption....Nigeria is a faliure today just because real men shy aware from Politics.....Buhari , Fashola o, El Rufai ,and co cant take Nigeria far....We need a true aPATRIOT ..

For me GEJ should go for a second term....after then we can start talking about replacement...Take it to the moon ,PDP is not yet ready to reliquinsh power esp @the Federal level...

What we should be talking about here in Nigeria is total re-orientation...The Basic units have failed ..Our Families have failed ,the society has failed ,individually we ve failed ..Let us all start by correcting out own personal lives , and strive to be good and patriotic citizens....One funny thing about Nigerians we re very good @criticizing from the outside when we re not even better off...

2 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Wadeoye(m): 9:30am On Jan 21, 2013
Oahray: lol. PDP would not let Oshiomhole contest. He is yet to disprove the 'educational qualification' scandal. From the look of the plenty evidence, he has no real certificates. PDP would drag his as.s to court the moment he publicly declares his presidential ambition.

Try Fashola for president. I don't like Buhari. Idiagbon was the real ruler in their regime.

Hold it man. Oshiomole doesnt have any certificate and he is governor.

Man, we are talking about candidates that can win. Fashola will only win vote in south west with the support of acn and that makes him a good vp to Buhari who can deliver votes across the north without spending a kobo.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Wadeoye(m): 9:32am On Jan 21, 2013
fagin1982: Why this funny love for Buhari...Majority of the people clamouring for Buhari Leadership were not even born then when he was a military president...Majority also should take thr time and study his antecedents..Buhari is not what Nigeria needs in this modern times...Politics , democracy has gone far away from wickedness and shear military brutality...We as a nation needs a Leader with vision, a modern day Man , a technocrat ,a brigde builder , a non tribalist , a humble servant with zero tolerance for indiscipline and corruption....Nigeria is a faliure today just because real men shy aware from Politics.....Buhari , Fashola o, El Rufai ,and co cant take Nigeria far....We need a true aPATRIOT ..

For me GEJ should go for a second term....after then we can start talking about replacement...Take it to the moon ,PDP is not yet ready to reliquinsh power esp @the Federal level...

What we should be talking about here in Nigeria is total re-orientation...The Basic units have failed ..Our Families have failed ,the society has failed ,individually we ve failed ..Let us all start by correcting out own personal lives , and strive to be good and patriotic citizens....One funny thing about Nigerians we re very good @criticizing from the outside when we re not even better off...

Why not just propose your own candidate if you dont want Buhari? You want to chose for us?

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Oahray: 9:40am On Jan 21, 2013
Wadeoye:

Hold it man. Oshiomole doesnt have any certificate and he is governor.

Man, we are talking about candidates that can win. Fashola will only win vote in south west with the support of acn and that makes him a good vp to Buhari who can deliver votes across the north without spending a kobo.
Yep, Osho has no REAL certificates. I followed the election tribunal case closely, saw all the evidence for his lack of qualification. Bad case for him. They had to run to the Supreme court and the 'powers that be' to stop the election tribunal from looking into his qualification ish.

As for 2015, forget it. No current president would ever lose a re-run in the next 20years.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DINGO(m): 9:51am On Jan 21, 2013
pazienza: Yoruba and northern alliance again? No suprise there,it's the same bed fellows of the nigerian civil war fame. But be rest assured that your plans will fail. GEJ till 2019. Enjoy the fresh air,while it lasts.
you have said it all.GEJ till 2019. Enjoy the fresh air,while it lasts
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by zivility: 9:51am On Jan 21, 2013
Pat Utomi! thats the clincher - the opposition should bring someone from jonathans side who will split his votes there. Buhari must sacrifice his ambitions and support him for success - bringing down d great PDP must take sacrifice. with Buhari mobilising the north for him its a sure victory.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by PointB: 9:53am On Jan 21, 2013
The other reason I maintain it is idiocy to even mute buhari for 2015 is because part of the reason why democracy is yet to take root in Nigeria is because of id.iots such as Buhari who truncated democracy simply because they lacked foresight!

He jumped into the fray with little or no idea about what it takes to rule a country, and ended up creating more political tension than he solved.

Fast forward to recent years, what has buhari 'said' in recent time to show which direction he is going to lead the country if made president. I am not asking for what he has 'done', cos he I haven't heard him done anything other than campaigning during election.

What economic or political idea has buhari proposed with his own words (not some polished manifestoes)? Other than issuing threats of 'dogs and baboons will be soaked in blood' or treathening brimstone and fire if he loses election, pray say, what positive comment has the murderous ex-general ever made concerning his intention for Nigeria.

Let's even assume he intends to fight corruption. The big question is how? What are his plan for fighting corruption, and after that what next?

I rather hear this from the horse's mouth, than from paid agents and AC.N hacks who are only interested in what Tinubu will pay them once he gain unlimited access to the nation's coffers with immunity guaranteed courtesy of his effort in delivery at the ballots.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 9:59am On Jan 21, 2013
My dear brother;

Gbawe:

Buhari is not "controversial" in the North. He did well in the North in 2011. His 'Achilles heel' is the image problem he has in the South. That can always be worked on by pairing him with a popular Southern achiever like Fashola. In all of this, let us not forget that Buhari is a huge vote-winner in the North. Buhari is not my first choice but I would not mind him in 2015 at all because of two things.

(1) He can win votes in the North ,better than almost anyone else that comes to mind, that will contribute to the defeat of the PDP. Of course permutations change if GEJ fails to gain the ticket and the PDP goes for broke with a popular Northerner.

There are candidates in every part of the country that can sweep their own regions; just as you have said of Buhari here. Thus when I ask for a realistic candidate, I am looking for one who can sweep more than just his region - and would also not become a source of vote-loss in other regions. You know as well as I do that Buhari, come what may, can hardly ever get up to 1 per cent of the SE and SS votes. Even the SW will be wary of him; I doubt the SW will ever go for a northern ex-military dictator as Presido. I seriously doubt it. Mixing the ticket does not help too much in this instance because everyone is aware that the Vice-President has no powers - save that which the President delegates to him.

Buhari picked a pastor as his running mate in 2011 exactly to mitigate his religious-bigotry perception in the public eye. Did it work? Not at all. He only won in Northern Islamic states and not a single southern state voted for him notwithstanding.

I honestly believe that, admirable as his anti-corruption credentials may be, he, (in addition to lacking any moral right to participate in Nigeria's democracy); will ever remain un-electable in this country. People with great prospects for the future like Fashola would do well to distance themselves from a ticket with Buhari, I tell you.

Next, when we speak of being realistic: and here; I know I am waxing slightly Machiavellian - but when we speak about realism, we must consider this as well - the "establishment" would work FAR more vociferously against a Buhari Presidency, and as such, its chances of materializing would be much slimmer. The Establishment in this country would go to ANY and EVERY length against such a presidency - they would work FAR harder against it than against any other candidate. Here is the reason: they know very well that the minute Buhari is sworn in, most of them are headed for long terms in prison.

(2) I envisage he will be the character to do what Nigeria needs more than anything else. The deployment of square pegs in square holes. He is one of the few characters amongst our prominent Politicians who will fearlessly give the radical leaders of tomorrow a chance. We will see appointments like Femi Falana as AGF and Ribadu as Petroleum Minister. Buhari will likely seek to succeed on the template of using proven achievers and men of principles. He will then provide the protection that will allow these guys get on with the job of transforming Nigeria. Anyone who is dedicated to doing that ,as President, will resolve most of the major problems of Nigeria in record time. That is what we want instead of the naff gradualism of the PDP.

Here, I agree with you, but I must note that I am strictly speaking realistic options; not just desirable options.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by PointB: 9:59am On Jan 21, 2013
Oahray: Yep, Osho has no REAL certificates. I followed the election tribunal case closely, saw all the evidence for his lack of qualification. Bad case for him. They had to run to the Supreme court and the 'powers that be' to stop the election tribunal from looking into his qualification ish.

As for 2015, forget it. No current president would ever lose a re-run in the next 20years.

I wonder what is for AC.N top shot and certificate forgery. As it was with Tinubu so it is for Oshiomole. The opposition is slacking in Edo, drag the guy's ar/se to the court for pejury and false claim if he cannot produce the evidence.

And shameless people are touting this lair for presidency. What is the country turning into?
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by takedat(m): 10:00am On Jan 21, 2013
PointB: The other reason I maintain it is idiocy to even mute buhari for 2015 is because part of the reason why democracy is yet to take root in Nigeria is because of id.iots such as Buhari who truncated democracy simply because they lacked foresight!

He jumped into the fray with little or no idea about what it takes to rule a country, and ended up creating more political tension than he solved.

Fast forward to recent years, what has buhari 'said' in recent time to show which direction he is going to lead the country if made president. I am not asking for what he has 'done', cos he I haven't heard him done anything other than campaigning during election.

What economic or political idea has buhari proposed with his own words (not some polished manifestoes)? Other than issuing threats of 'dogs and baboons will be soaked in blood' or treathening brimstone and fire if he loses election, pray say, what positive comment has the murderous ex-general ever made concerning his intention for Nigeria.

Let's even assume he intends to fight corruption. The big question is how? What are his plan for fighting corruption, and after that what next?

I rather hear this from the horse's mouth, than from paid agents and AC.N hacks who are only interested in what Tinubu will pay them once he gain unlimited access to the nation's coffers with immunity guaranteed courtesy of his effort in delivery at the ballots.
Bros, you were asked to provide a realistic option and not a trashy epistle!
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by PointB: 10:06am On Jan 21, 2013
take dat: Bros, you were asked to provide a realistic option and not a trashy epistle!

My guy make me or sharrap!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Angola Overtakes Nigeria As Africa's Top Oil Producer After Pipeline Attacks / Kogi Government Shuts Down Tao FM To Save DG's Head - Kogireports.com / Anambra Election, One Of The Most Difficult Ever - Mahmood Yakubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.