Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,817 members, 7,813,698 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? (12310 Views)

N10million Bribery Scam: Presidency In Dilema Over CCT Chair / Nobody Will Leave PDP For Opposition - Tukur / INEC's Conditions For Opposition Parties’ Merger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 10:29pm On Jan 20, 2013
Right. Most Nigerians tend to agree that the ruling PDP aint quite getting it right at the Federal Level.

Let's assume the opposition parties successfully merge into a mega party well ahead of 2015.

What candidates can they realistically offer as Presidential and Vice-Presidential flag-bearers who would

a) Have a realistic chance of unseating Goodluck and -

b) Be very likely to change the fortunes of this country positively.

Nominate.

Please note the bold words above as key.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Wadeoye(m): 10:32pm On Jan 20, 2013
Buhari/Oshiomole. I dont see making an igbo man vp adding any value to the dream of evolving an alternative platform, otherwise, someone like ngige would have been a good vp candidate.

3 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 10:36pm On Jan 20, 2013
Wadeoye: Buharo/Oshiomole

Are you sure it is not true what most believe with regard to Buhari and elections in Nigeria - namely that he remains perpetually un-electable?

Note that I am not asking for a ticket that you like or find fanciful, or a dream ticket. I am asking for a ticket that you think is realistic in light of Nigeria's political dynamics. A ticket that can realistically win an election against GEJ/ PDP?

I dont see making an igbo man vp adding any value to the dream of evolving an alternative platform, otherwise, someone like ngige would have been a good vp candidate.

Are the Ibo not part of the electoral demographic?

On Ngige, does he still have national credibility after the whole Okija fiasco?
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by nduchucks: 11:01pm On Jan 20, 2013
Buhari/Fashola or Buhari/Ngige.

Buhari's regime will ensure that corruption is curbed to a manageable level. If that's all he accomplishes in his first term, all other things being equal, that's good enough for me. Fashola and Ngige can take it from there.

5 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 11:07pm On Jan 20, 2013
ndu_chucks: Buhari/Fashola or Buhari/Ngige.

Buhari's regime will ensure that corruption is curbed to a manageable level. If that's all he accomplishes in his first term, all other things being equal, that's good enough for me. Fashola and Ngige can take it from there.

I said realistic. Do you think Buhari can realistically win a presidential election in this country?

Mind you, I am not saying anything about his desirability. I am speaking about the facts on the ground in terms of public perception. It seems to me that large swathes of Nigeria have entrenched perceptions about Buhari that may render him permanently un-electable as a democratic president of this country - even with the freest and fairest election ever.

Do you think that Ngige is presidential material in the eyes of non-south-east Nigeria - especially after the Okija fiasco?

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Wadeoye(m): 11:09pm On Jan 20, 2013
[quote author=Deep Sight]

Are you sure it is not true what most believe with regard to Buhari and elections in Nigeria - namely that he remains perpetually un-electable?

Note that I am not asking for a ticket that you like or find fanciful, or a dream ticket. I am asking for a ticket that you think is realistic in light of Nigeria's political dynamics. A ticket that can realistically win an election against GEJ/ PDP?

You dont seem to understand the reality on the ground. The choice we have now is between GEJ (the clueless) and an opposition candidate. Was GEJ acceptable in the north in 2011? Will he be acceptable in 2015? As a matter of fact, 2015 will be tougher in the north and I doubt if gej will get 10% of the votes in many states there

Now will South West still vote for pdp/gej in 2011, the answer is no. As a matter of fact, the last election went in the way of pdp because a poor party CPC was left alone to slog it out with the all powerful pdp with south west falling for the "I had no shoes", etc senseless statements. GEJ winning wasnt because Buhari is not electable. That Igbos will not vote for northerner or someone from another religion doesnt make a candidate inelectable. MKO Abiola called the bluff of Igbos and what happend. He won the election without Igbos voting for him.

You know, nobody can defeat Buhari in the north, if Tinubus come to their senses and align as they are doing now, Buhari is more than sure of South West including Edo if Oshiomole is VP. Work has started already in sw for Buhari. They are waiting for him. I had about 3 calls today from Osun state in respect of Buhari.

Now tell me how pdp will win south west if ACN merges with CPC? If they cant win South West, tell me which region of the country pdp will win apart from ss and part of se which will be battle ground. Definitely, we are sure pdp will get nothing from the north if Buhari contests.

3 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Gboliwe: 11:20pm On Jan 20, 2013
How would a Rochas/Fashola ticket sell?

Must the next president and or vice be a former governor?
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 11:22pm On Jan 20, 2013
@Wadeoye, are you sure about your analysis?

1. PDP will still take large portions of the north - as happened in 2011 if Buhari contests. The reason is simple - there is the middle-belt - which would mostly vote GEJ over a Buhari for one million reasons. Secondly even the core north may be divided, as we are seeing presently.

2. I do not believe that the SW will ever go for Buhari just because of a party alliance. In 2011 THEY rejected Ribadu in favour of GEJ in spite of the fact that Ribadu was the ACN candidate. That should tell you something about the SW electorate. In fact, their serial rejections of Obasanjo also proves that the savvy SW electorate are very unlikely to vote for any former military dictator altogether.

3. Do you not think that it would be wiser, if the presidential ticket must be Northern, to go for a younger, fresher candidate who is not tainted by entrenched perceptions of bigotry (whether true or false) and persisting suspicion and controversy?

I admire Buhari's stance on anti-corruption, although I personally dont believe he has a moral right to seek democratic office in Nigeria seeing that he truncated the 2nd Republic with an act of treasonable felony. Nevertheless that is not really the point here. I am speaking about realistic chances of unseating the PDP; and it seems apparent to me that the opposition will not have such a chance if Buhari is its flagbearer.

Besides, let me ask the question: when the SAME candidates are thrown up year in year out for an election, there is the suggestion that it is more about the ego and personal ambition of such leaders than about any genuine desire for change.

Have you ever asked yourself why John Kerry did not come back as Democratic Flagbearer after losing to Bush? Why Al Gore did not come back after losing to Bush? You see there is something in this fact which shows that for them, it is more about their ideologies in power, than in the desperate, perennial insistence on coming back to contest. Are there no others?

6 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Wadeoye(m): 11:24pm On Jan 20, 2013
Gboliwe: How would a Rochas/Fashola ticket sell?

You are not matured or politically enlightened enough to make contribution. You suggestion above proves that. I advice you just read suggestion from people until you grow up enough.

5 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 11:28pm On Jan 20, 2013
Gboliwe: How would a Rochas/Fashola ticket sell?

To be honest, I am shocked at your recommendation of Rochas for a realistic chance of the opposition claiming the presidency.

Even for an unrealistic chance sef, I would still be shocked at your suggestion.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by asha80(m): 11:29pm On Jan 20, 2013
MKO Abiola called the bluff of Igbos and what happend. He won the election without Igbos voting for him.

i guess you should grow up before making stupid statements.

3 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by nduchucks: 11:30pm On Jan 20, 2013
Deep Sight:

I said realistic. Do you think Buhari can realistically win a presidential election in this country?

Mind you, I am not saying anything about his desirability. I am speaking about the facts on the ground in terms of public perception. It seems to me that large swathes of Nigeria have entrenched perceptions about Buhari that may render him permanently un-electable as a democratic president of this country - even with the freest and fairest election ever.

Do you think that Ngige is presidential material in the eyes of non-south-east Nigeria - especially after the Okija fiasco?

The selection of either Fashola or Ngige, in addition to the support of a mega party, will make Buhari's electability more realistic than it has ever been. Ngige could help Buhari secure the East and cost GEJ a significant number of votes there. With proper campaign marketing and with a few big guns (IBB OBJ lipsrsealed) potentially jumping ship to the mega party, Buhari can come out smelling like roses, before the elections, regardless of current image.

After Buhari's first term, he will step aside for the new generation. I agree with you that, at that point, Ngige may not be the right flagbearer for the mega party.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Wadeoye(m): 11:32pm On Jan 20, 2013
Deep Sight:
@Wadeoye, are you sure about your analysis?

1. PDP will still take large portions of the north - as happened in 2011 if Buhari contests. The reason is simple - there is the middle-belt - which would mostly vote GEJ over a Buhari for one million reasons. Secondly even the core north may be divided, as we are seeing presently.

2. I do not believe that the SW will ever go for Buhari just because of a party alliance. In 2011 THEY rejected Ribadu in favour of GEJ in spite of the fact that Ribadu was the ACN candidate. That should tell you something about the SW electorate. In fact, their serial rejections of Obasanjo also proves that the savvy SW electorate are very unlikely to vote for any former military dictator altogether.

3. Do you not think that it would be wiser, if the presidential ticket must be Northern, to go for a younger, fresher candidate who is not tainted by entrenched perceptions of bigotry (whether true or false) and persisting suspicion and controversy?

I admire Buhari's stance on anti-corruption, although I personally dont believe he has a moral right to seek democratic office in Nigeria seeing that he truncated the 2nd Republic with an act of treasonable felony. Nevertheless that is not really the point here. I am speaking about realistic chances of unseating the PDP; and it seems apparent to me that the opposition will not have such a chance if Buhari is its flagbearer.

Besides, let me ask the question: when the SAME candidates are thrown up year in year out for an election, there is the suggestion that it is more about the ego and personal ambition of such leaders than about any genuine desire for change.

Have you ever asked yourself why John Kerry did not come back as Democratic Flagbearer after losing to Bush? Why Al Gore did not come back after losing to Bush? You see there is something in this fact which shows that for them, it is more about their ideologies in power, than in the desperate, perennial insistence on coming back to contest. Are there no others?

Keep deceiving yourself. If acn aligns and campaign for buhari, he will win all the votes. Buhari didnt campaign in south west in 2011 likewise in other parts of the south because of the resources required to do this. Buhari doesnt have the money and all he needs is for acn to deliver south west afterall they wikl be stakeholders in the merger. So things will be diff.

And how many states did Gej win in the north in 2011? Can you name a few and the nunber of votes he got there?

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 11:38pm On Jan 20, 2013
Wadeoye:

Keep deceiving yourself. If acn aligns and campaign for buhari, he will win all the votes. Buhari didnt campaign in south west in 2011 likewise in other parts of the south because of the resources required to do this. Buhari doesnt have the money and all he needs is for acn to deliver south west afterall they wikl be stakeholders in the merger. So things will be diff.

I honestly dont see the SW ever voting Buhari, even if Tinubu and Fashola both make a personal visit to every house to request such.

And how many states did Gej win in the north in 2011? Can you name a few and the nunber of votes he got there?

Well here is what transpired. As you can see, GEJ won several states in the North - the Middle belt mainly.

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jan 20, 2013
Buhari/Fashola is the best you can think of.

Oshiomole will be good as vice too but he won't be ready in 2015.

Buhari/Fashola will be the best way forward for Nigeria. No matter who PDP presents, the ticket of Buhari and Fashola will win hands down.

I'm hoping the merging parties will not miss this opportunity to put Fashola on a ticket. Fashola on a ticket will sweep SW no doubt.

Buhari is the only Northerner that can actually sweep North well.

I'm suspecting a military coup before 2015 though. The rate of insecurity is too high for democracy to operate properly now.

2 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 11:47pm On Jan 20, 2013
0lumide: Buhari/Fashola is the best you can think of.

Oshiomole will be good as vice too but he won't be ready in 2015.

Buhari/Fashola will be the best way forward for Nigeria. No matter who PDP presents, the ticket of Buhari and Fashola will win hands down.

I'm hoping the merging parties will not miss this opportunity to put Fashola on a ticket. Fashola on a ticket will sweep SW no doubt.

Buhari is the only Northerner that can actually sweep North well.

I'm suspecting a military coup before 2015 though. The rate of insecurity is too high for democracy to operate properly now.

Why risk a controversial candidate at all if you are determined to seize the presidency from the PDP? Why not shop for someone without such "baggage"?
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by GARRIx7(m): 11:53pm On Jan 20, 2013
I think I'll go with Buhari/Fashola

Although I'm not too comfortable with his(Buhari's) age as well as the negative perception many persons have about him..
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by GARRIx7(m): 11:56pm On Jan 20, 2013
Deep Sight:

Why risk a controversial candidate at all if you are determined to seize the presidency from the PDP? Why not shop for someone without such "baggage"

Which northerner commands as much respect as Buhari and doesn't have a large baggage??
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by omoalaro: 12:34am On Jan 21, 2013
From a recent survey, result from 31,255 respondents shows clearly that a combination of Buhari and Fashola is the liberation ticket we need in Nigeria to get out of this quagmire. This is why the merger talk must never fail.

Summary Report - Jan 13, 2013
Survey:Pulse of the Nation
1. My candidate in the 2015 presidential election is:
Jonathan 8.9%
Lamido 3.3%
Okojo-Iweala 3.0%
Buhari 32.0%
el Rufai 6.8%
Ribadu 4.6%
Atiku 3.2%
Nnamani 1.3%
Babangida 2.3%
Fashola 32.6%
Tinubu 2.0%

1. My candidate in the 2015 presidential election is:

Value Count Percent %

Jonathan 2,797 9.0%
Lamido 1,041 3.3%
Okojo-Iweala 938 3.0%
Buhari 10,007 32.0%
el Rufai 2,133 6.8%
Ribadu 1,432 4.6%
Atiku 1,003 3.2%
Nnamani 402 1.3%
Babangida 717 2.3%
Fashola 10,174 32.6%
Tinubu 611 2.0%
Statistics
Total Responses. 31,255

https://students.sgizmo.com/reportsview/?key=214565-1724204-8fb4a021557db8f873c4af914f98fc2f

2 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by GreenJ(m): 12:47am On Jan 21, 2013
The greatest sickness of 9ja is corruption1! The right drug is BUHARI & who ever.

7 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by lacasa: 1:05am On Jan 21, 2013
what people esp those that have a bleak perception of Nigeria's current situation is that;-

Nigerians need Buuhari more than Buhari needs Nigeria!.

If we really want a change in the way our country is being managed especially pertaining to curbing corruption, then Buhari is the best out of all the rest to efficiently do this!.

​ so ​, the Best and wisest choice for the opposition Is for a Buhari/Fashola led Nigeria from 2015 (God-willing).

And, after one term (considering Buhari's age) then Fashola should take off where Buhari would have left off ie Buhari should preside over Nigeria for ONE-TERM in office.

May God help us...Amen.

11 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 1:11am On Jan 21, 2013
Deep Sight:

Why risk a controversial candidate at all if you are determined to seize the presidency from the PDP? Why not shop for someone without such "baggage"?

Give me an example of a realistic candidate that doesn't have a baggage?

Buhari / Fashola is the key for now. Besides, I will prefer to wait and watch to see how things will go.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 1:18am On Jan 21, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Which northerner commands as much respect as Buhari and doesn't have a large baggage??

Besides the op is looking for realistic candidates here not saints. Which politician can capture the heart of the north and part of the middle belt except Buhari in this current dispensation.
Fashola will assist in the west and much of the enlightened ones in SE living the reardeen for his otuokpe brothers.
I agree that the permutations aren't as straightforward like this but eh, we need peeps that can win votes and also break the current status quo. As much as I love the Utomis, dukes etc but the question is how many votes can these lovely men capture.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Demdem(m): 1:21am On Jan 21, 2013
GARRI (x7):
I think I'll go with Buhari/Fashola

Although I'm not too comfortable with his(Buhari's) age as well as the negative perception many persons have about him..

Many of those perceptions have no basis. Quite a lot has been brainwashed. Imagine someone saying he physically saw Buhari kill corpers. Don't u think such have a problem.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Nobody: 1:22am On Jan 21, 2013
@deepsight

I know that in the west, they will vote anything with Fashola in it since West is more exposed to Fashola than other parts of Nigeria.

Fashola has become an household name in Yoruba land. That is enough campaign.

Buhari.

Let's be honest here. People have nothing against Buhari. It's all propaganda. I double dare PDP to try and win election with public donation. Buhari won the last election fairly!!!

No other person in the North can pull crowd like Buhari can.

No godfather, a well respect incorruptible character? We'd be stupid in Nigeria not to vote this man. We have tried Jonathan and have seen what it's all about. PDP!!!!

There has to be change simple! PDP has ruled too long and little to no change has happened.

If we let, Tribal sentiment and religious bigotry deny Nigeria her last chance of survival, then we should be ready for a Somalia kind of state. PDP can not solve the current insecurity issues because they are tied with corruption and are actually among the gun runners for militants and in both ND and North. We really need to save Nigeria!

Buhari/Fashola 2015!! Anything less than that will cost the opposition. If Tinubu really want to help Nigeria, he has to let Fashola run with Buhari. Fashola and Buhari. Best ticket ever.

Should anything happen to either Fashola or Buhari, Nigeria is over simple!

Buhari is tested and proven. Fashola is tested and proven too. Seriously, it will be stoopid not to go with such ticket.

14 Likes

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by omoalaro: 1:31am On Jan 21, 2013
0lumide: @deepsight

I know that in the west, they will vote anything with Fashola in it since West is more exposed to Fashola than other parts of Nigeria.

Fashola has become an household name in Yoruba land. That is enough campaign.

Buhari.

Let's be honest here. People have nothing against Buhari. It's all propaganda. I double dare PDP to try and win election with public donation. Buhari won the last election fairly!!!

No other person in the North can pull crowd like Buhari can.

No godfather, a well respect incorruptible character? We'd be stupid in Nigeria not to vote this man. We have tried Jonathan and have seen what it's all about. PDP!!!!

There has to be change simple! PDP has ruled too long and little to no change has happened.

If we let, Tribal sentiment and religious bigotry deny Nigeria her last chance of survival, then we should be ready for a Somalia kind of state. PDP can not solve the current insecurity issues because they are tied with corruption and are actually among the gun runners for militants and in both ND and North. We really need to save Nigeria!

Buhari/Fashola 2015!! Anything less than that will cost the opposition. If Tinubu really want to help Nigeria, he has to let Fashola run with Buhari. Fashola and Buhari. Best ticket ever.

Should anything happen to either Fashola or Buhari, Nigeria is over simple!

Buhari is tested and proven. Fashola is tested and proven too. Seriously, it will be stoopid not to go with such ticket.

Gbam.
You are a thief (LOL), you stole my mind. I can not put it better. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by DeepSight(m): 1:52am On Jan 21, 2013
Demdem:

Many of those perceptions have no basis. Quite a lot has been brainwashed. Imagine someone saying he physically saw Buhari kill corpers. Don't u think such have a problem.

Lol, come on, no one ever said that, come on! Buhari personally killing corpers? Lol.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Gboliwe: 5:09am On Jan 21, 2013
Deep Sight:

To be honest, I am shocked at your recommendation of Rochas for a realistic chance of the opposition claiming the presidency.

Even for an unrealistic chance sef, I would still be shocked at your suggestion.
Why? He had a shot at it once. Don't you think he may have improved on himself since then?
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by Gboliwe: 5:11am On Jan 21, 2013
Wadeoye:

You are not matured or politically enlightened enough to make contribution. You suggestion above proves that. I advice you just read suggestion from people until you grow up enough.
You either shut it or keep moving. You have no right to talk to me condecendingly.
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by emiye(m): 5:52am On Jan 21, 2013
Gboliwe:
Why? He had a shot at it once. Don't you think he may have improved on himself since then?

Your choice is not realisic my brother. For some of these reasons.

(1) He would not get the much needed votes in the North, the North wants the power back in 2015

(2) It is a South / South ticket, it is easier to sell a muslim/muslim ticket.

(3) Rochas is not overwhelmingly popular and loved as you think, even from his state and region.

Take no offense, i laughed at your choice, i am not saying those two can not govern well, they are not realistic candidates.

Any choice that will capture power from the current establishment must have a presidential candidate from the northern extraction. (It is the reality we must face, it might taste sour in your mouth and i, embracing it is the way out). The question is who is the Credible AND popular candidate from the North?
Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by emiye(m): 6:07am On Jan 21, 2013
Deep Sight:

Those baggages worries much the SS/ SE folks, where GEJ had over 95% votes on the avg in 2011 election. Buhari had less than 2% of the total votes cast in these two regions, in 2015, things might not change much, but a 10% performance would be great and plausible with more funds for campaign, voters mobilisation . Buhari would perform better in the North versus GEJ in 2015, N.B (He had roughly 11 million votes from the North in 2011).

A much significant improvement in the South West than 2011, a SW politician like Fashola as VP cand. N.B (At 2011 elections, PDP was still in control of 2 SW states, and the ACN candidate was not going to fly, after the failed merger,and open secret that Ribadu had resigned).

12.4 million votes in 2011 can improve to 19 -20million votes in 2015.

1 Like

Re: Realistic Options For Opposition Presidency In 2015? by pazienza(m): 6:17am On Jan 21, 2013
Yoruba and northern alliance again? No suprise there,it's the same bed fellows of the nigerian civil war fame. But be rest assured that your plans will fail. GEJ till 2019. Enjoy the fresh air,while it lasts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Jonathan To Observe General Elections In Zambia / Benue 2019: APC Exco Backs Ortom, Akume For Re-election / Women Threaten To Boycott Ondo Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.