Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,360 members, 7,829,912 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:39 PM

Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture (27383 Views)

Calabar Carnival 2015: Live Update With Photos / Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju / Calabar Carnival 2013 [Live] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Eziachi: 1:41pm On Jan 25, 2013
k00lxpert: this is not a Nigerian cultural carnivals we re xpecting, its a continuation & convergence of 'All naked street strippers volunteers association(s) of Calabar & environs, gathered together to entertain fools & jobless wakapass pple...To me, they re shameless bastard Nigerians. dont quote me, its just my opinion
What exactly is Nigeria culture? Please name them!
If anything culture associated with Nigeria nowhere in the world today is fraud and stealing public money by public officials. In my opinion, the so called carnival is doing you lot, loads of unpaid positive PR for the first time.

1 Like

Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Demdem(m): 1:43pm On Jan 25, 2013
Red-Light:
if we are exposed and more enlightened why are we still celebrating the culture then?

the bottom line is women/men should be banned from showcasing their blessedness in public under the guise of carnival
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by getukudo(m): 1:45pm On Jan 25, 2013
nep2ra:

It's your type that secretly watches p.orn, touches himself and later goes to God in prayer asking forgiveness.

Don't you do same? When you lie, don't you go to church after to pray for forgiveness?
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Eziachi: 1:46pm On Jan 25, 2013
abdulkayus: Stil amazed as hw some ppl doesnt c anytin wrong in d shameless show of unclothedness called carnival. To me, its barbaric, degradin women to sex objects.
All dos claimin dat notin wrong in dis madness and also abusing Afam4ever, will u allow ur mother, sister, wife or daughter to put on dos nonsense call customes and display their unclothedness to any dick and harry? SMH.
Waitin for all ur answers. Hypocrites
You sounded like the King of Swaziland, who recently banned mini skirt but every year girls even from the age of 16 are line up nude in public ceremony for him to chose his newest wife. He said that is his culture and mini skirt is a foreign culture. grin grin grin
If you are not a hypocrite yourself, why do you watch this carnival at all? And if you don't watch it, how come you knew what they were wearing?
Adults that claim not to eat rat meat but its okay to use their teeth to share it among the children.
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by ochukoccna: 1:47pm On Jan 25, 2013
ehie: our culture before the arrival of whitey,women walked around without shirts...that was our culture,before we embraced the white man's culture
Ignorance at its best yet so painfully bliss
Culture doesn't exist in a void
Have you ever asked what ever happened to the supporting structures of 'our' culture?
The color of the skin of those who intiated&accelerated the dismantling&demise of those supporting structures&institutions?
The bunch of plantains is decaying you say its ripening
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by blackbeau1(f): 1:48pm On Jan 25, 2013
I'm an akwa Ibomite and I can boldly say that the cross riverean culture doesn't include unclothedness.this years nudity in the carnival was just a show by our nigerian girls to copy their brazillian counterparts

1 Like

Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by ezeagu(m): 1:50pm On Jan 25, 2013
http://1.bp..com/_jeBv7EEofYQ/TVLTE_LpJfI/AAAAAAAAAPU/Dof8UpeBBJE/s1600/Young%2BIgbuzor%2Bwomen.jpg
http://1.bp..com/_QVW98iGMXHI/SoG1l-7KBEI/AAAAAAAAJYk/_LlVpOw19vA/s1600/igbo+woman.jpg
http://4.bp..com/-oOP0CH2GRYc/TcC_on8DEAI/AAAAAAAAAWA/9Fxrt-mnjaA/s500/Old%2BIgbo.jpg

http://majorityrights.com/images/uploads/igbo.jpg

Let's get over the "nudity is not our culture" and "all Nigerian women were good Christian-blouse-wearing nuns before Europeans came" now. (By the way censoring thw word "nudity" is the height of ignorance).

1 Like

Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by ezeagu(m): 1:54pm On Jan 25, 2013
black_beau: I'm an akwa Ibomite and I can boldly say that the cross riverean culture doesn't include unclothedness.[/b]this years nudity in the carnival was just a show by our nigerian girls to copy their brazillian counterparts

[size=18pt]WRONG![/size]

2 Likes

Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jan 25, 2013
ochukoccna:
Ignorance at its best yet so painfully bliss
Culture doesn't exist in a void
Have you ever asked what ever happened to the supporting structures of 'our' culture?
The color of the skin of those who intiated&accelerated the dismantling&demise of those supporting structures&institutions?
The bunch of plantains is decaying you say its ripening
gibberish
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Orikinla(m): 1:55pm On Jan 25, 2013
We are what we do more than what we say.

The manifestations of the Calabar Carnival are what the governor and his wife and cabinet and the organizers are.
As Jesus Christ our Lord and Messiah said, by their fruits you shall know them.

You can see "How the Calabar Carnival Can Attract Thousands of Foreign Tourists" on http://www.modernghana.com/news/409087/1/how-the-calabar-carnival-can-attract-thousands-of-.html.
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Eziachi: 1:58pm On Jan 25, 2013
Demdem:

are u aware that they walk on our streets? Are there dedicated streets for peeps like me who detest such in public also. by the way, the argument is if NBC can ban some music videos because they depicts elements of sexuality, why not this also from the same airwaves since it depicts such also.
Are they forced you not only to go to Calabar on the day but also forced you down the street where its happening? If you don't like carnival turn to another channel or turn off the TV and do some work in the house or even sleep.
We can't ban internet, just because there are websites that doesn't conform to me/yours moral standards, we just simply avoid them. period!

I lived in London for more than 30 years before moving to Surrey but I had never been to Nothing Hill carnival even for once, just because its doesn't interest me, even though its a stone throw away from my home Hammersmith.
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Orikinla(m): 2:00pm On Jan 25, 2013
ezeagu:

[size=18pt]WRONG![/size][/b]

Her breasts don fall o.
The chiefs must have sucked the whole mammary glands. grin
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Eziachi: 2:00pm On Jan 25, 2013
black_beau: I'm an akwa Ibomite and I can boldly say that the cross riverean culture doesn't include unclothedness.this years nudity in the carnival was just a show by our nigerian girls to copy their brazillian counterparts
In African culture/words, there are no such word as Ibomite, where did you copy it from?
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 25, 2013
this was how we were before we we were colonised...so our culture is actually that

Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Tonyblinky(m): 2:04pm On Jan 25, 2013
See more pix

Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by OILOFGLADNESS: 2:05pm On Jan 25, 2013
filiks: At first, It was about showcasing our rich culture to the world, but I've watched it become...in the last two years especially last year!
I can't even put some of the pics on my blog: www.feelfelly..com

[img]http://3.bp..com/-zgr8Syoqm2o/UP2URlKtfaI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/MfDFwr7Wm2U/s1600/Cali.jpg[/img]

MY DEAR ITS SOMETHIN ELSE,THIS PEOPLE ARE EVEN CLOTHED, LAST YEAR OWN WAS AN INDEED AN EYESORE, ANY WAY NORMALYY I CALL CALABAR SODOM AND GOMMORAHH IN NIGERIA, I AHVE HEARD ABOUT , READ ABOUT AND WITNESSED AND LIVING IN THE CITY,
ONLY GOD CAN HELP TO SCRAP THIS INSANITY
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Demdem(m): 2:06pm On Jan 25, 2013
Demdem:

the bottom line is women/men should be banned from showcasing their blessedness in public under the guise of carnival
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by ezeagu(m): 2:13pm On Jan 25, 2013
OILOFGLADNESS:

MY DEAR ITS SOMETHIN ELSE,THIS PEOPLE ARE EVEN CLOTHED, LAST YEAR OWN WAS AN INDEED AN EYESORE, ANY WAY NORMALYY I CALL CALABAR SODOM AND GOMMORAHH IN NIGERIA, I AHVE HEARD ABOUT , READ ABOUT AND WITNESSED AND LIVING IN THE CITY,
ONLY GOD CAN HELP TO SCRAP THIS INSANITY

Oh get your panties out of a bunch and find a man to whine pon!
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by megareal: 2:13pm On Jan 25, 2013
Eziachi:
In African culture/words, there are no such word as Ibomite, where did you copy it from?
And what is that supposed to mean? An Akwa Ibomite is simply someone from Akwa Ibom. Just like a Londoner or American. Besides, she is using English for the explanation, is English our cultural language?
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by ezeagu(m): 2:16pm On Jan 25, 2013
It's not only 'Akwa Ibomite' it's Igboite and Yoruban!
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by eriegua83: 2:17pm On Jan 25, 2013
Even b4 d whites came, the binis have clothes? Made with leaves?
Arosa:

When you say "our culture" Minus the Bini peeps from it. In our history only slaves were associated with unclothedness. In Bini we have different words for various types of clothes.

Nice carnival there in Calabar, I love the costumes.
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by DeepSight(m): 2:18pm On Jan 25, 2013
abdulkayus: Stil amazed as hw some ppl doesnt c anytin wrong in d shameless show of unclothedness called carnival. To me, its barbaric, degradin women to sex objects.
All dos claimin dat notin wrong in dis madness and also abusing Afam4ever, will u allow ur mother, sister, wife or daughter to put on dos nonsense call customes and display their unclothedness to any dick and harry? SMH.
Waitin for all ur answers. Hypocrites

SHUT UP!!!!

CROSS RIVERS IS NOT A SHARIA STATE; WE KNOW IF IT WERE A SHARIA STATE, YOUR SHARIA LOVING PEEPS WOULD HAVE SHED BLOOD BY NOW.

WE ARE FREE, LIBERATED PEOPLE AND WILL DRESS AND PLAY AS WE PLEASE. OLODO.

1 Like

Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by ezeagu(m): 2:24pm On Jan 25, 2013
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Arosa(m): 2:27pm On Jan 25, 2013
eriegua83: Even b4 d whites came, the binis have clothes? Made with leaves?

Go and read about the Bini history. na everything them dey tell persons? You can find Bini history books in most library world wide, visit one and read them.
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by ezeagu(m): 2:32pm On Jan 25, 2013
Arosa:

Go and read about the Bini history. na everything them dey tell persons? You can find Bini history books in most library world wide, visit one and read them.

Bini women were naked as well. Don't make me post examples.

2 Likes

Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Arosa(m): 2:34pm On Jan 25, 2013
ezeagu:

Bini women were naked as well. Don't make me post examples.
There were lots of slaves in Bini then mostly women, that is why they were naked. However unmarried bini girls can also be seen top-less but not completely naked.
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jan 25, 2013
Eventhough we were na.ked then, I believe the cultural mindset was conservative. Can't say the same for today.
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by holysmoke(m): 3:18pm On Jan 25, 2013
* thinking about what the carnival is all about.an idea comes to mind. check a dictionary*

MODERN DICTIONARY OF THE NEW AGE MOVEMENT .

CALABAR CARNIVAL,THE : A Pagan festival, reminiscent of the early Olympic games that had to be banned because of the o.r.g.i.e.s & various other depravities that were associated with them.

Think things are going to get better ? Don't count on it. Everything is going to get worse as the world heads to a cataclysmic end.
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by kedukc(m): 3:35pm On Jan 25, 2013
Grow up Nigerians.. Cali Carnivals should be done quarterly.

My question for the gals, how will you love to browse some quality dicks on the streets of Cali this December?
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by ezeagu(m): 3:50pm On Jan 25, 2013
stillwater: Eventhough we were na.ked then, I believe the cultural mindset was conservative. Can't say the same for today.

Conservative relative to what?

1 Like

Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 25, 2013
filiks: At first, It was about showcasing our rich culture to the world, but I've watched it become...in the last two years especially last year!
I can't even put some of the pics on my blog: www.feelfelly..com

[img]http://3.bp..com/-zgr8Syoqm2o/UP2URlKtfaI/AAAAAAAAAGQ/MfDFwr7Wm2U/s1600/Cali.jpg[/img]
You are just sex starved and angry at the fact that these people are making the whole getting laid idea seem easy.
Re: Calabar Carnival No Longer About Promoting Our Culture by ypzilanti: 5:12pm On Jan 25, 2013
Nigerians know how to be pious and outraged over things like exposed titties and homosexuals. The west is outraged by things like child molestation and corruption.

Guess who has the better society.

When I lived in the west, my next door neighbors would always wear their bikinis and tan during summer...in plain view. Guess what? Over time I got used to it. I began to understand later that they have a more moral society than ours, because we do not protect the weak and ailing the way that they do.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Olubadan-In-Council Declares Eze Ndigbo Illegal / Ile-Ife Existed Before Birth Of Jesus Christ - Ooni of Ife / Late Alfred Akawe Torkula Tomb In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.