Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

The True Meaning Of Jihad - Islam for Muslims (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The True Meaning Of Jihad (21620 Views)

The True, Peaceful Face Of Islam. / Three Stages Of Jihad - What Are We Supposed To Believe ? / Come And See jihad For What It Is (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by nuorlah: 8:44pm On Jan 28, 2013
hok4u:
Mr Akpan which kind of Quran are you reading,this is what Quran 4(Sura Al Nisa) says,am quoting verses 170&171 "170. O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, nor say of Allah aught but the truth. The Messiah Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary), was (no more than) a Messenger of Allah and His Word, ("Be!" - and he was) which He bestowed on Maryam (Mary) and a spirit (Rooh) created by Him; so believe in Allah and His Messengers. Say not: "Three (trinity)!" Cease! (it is) better for you. For Allah is (the only) One Ilah (God), Glory be to Him (Far Exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth. And Allah is AllSufficient as a Disposer of affairs.

171. The Messiah will never be proud to reject to be a slave to Allah, nor the angels who are near (to Allah). And whosoever rejects His worship and is proud, then He will gather them all together unto Himself."
I hope you will patiently read Ãήϑ understand

Some of them never held a qur'an. They are too scared to do that. They only pass the info sent or read to them on and on. Very gullible people.

2 Likes

Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by ProfSule(m): 8:46pm On Jan 28, 2013
tomakint: To start with, Islam in Nigeria is split into two broad groups; (1)The Hausa-Fulani Muslims and (2) Others (Yorubas, Tapas, and all the rest tribes) The Hausa-Fulanis don't see Jihad the way Yoruba Muslims and others define it, that's the gospel truth, infact an average Aboki don't see a fellow Muslim from other tribes as friends, they consider them inferior to themselves and that gives the "Violent Colouration to Islam" Just my thought mind you cool

Is trying to have peace a problem? what jihad really means was just explained by a gud fellow nd u re here talking abt d yoruba's jihad nd d hausa fulani, why? in every tribe, religion, in short in everything, there are bad eggs. U shud undstnd dis pls.
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by nuorlah: 8:47pm On Jan 28, 2013
Anvaller: I have read thru this =thread and this is my observation.

* Ppl are sick and tired of Islamist extremism.

* Moderate muslims try to exonerate themselves from the extremists activities

* Non muslims accuse moderate muslims of being part of it and if not why are they too silent about their extremist folks

* Moderate muslims starts attempting to communicate the normal non-extremist muslim to non muslims and even some ignorant muslims

* Non muslims rather than embrace this attempt and encourage them to do more, they continue to castigate all muslims including the ones that are committed to peace

If non muslims can accept and encourage these peaceful muslims... they would be encouraged to do more and have more voice, and displace the status-quo which is more of the voices of the extremists. So in the near future, the world would be a better place just like it was b4 for the moderate muslims and the non muslims in general

Nicely written. wink
On a second thought, the word moderate Muslim doesnt exist. With that we would be having mild.

Words that divide us, we try to avoid as much as possible. Yh! the extremists have a name. But we are just Muslims.
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by abdul4hire: 8:55pm On Jan 28, 2013
nuorlah:

Nicely written. wink
On a second thought, the word moderate Muslim doesnt exist. With that we would be having mild.

Words that divide us, we try to avoid as much as possible. Yh! the extremists have a name. But we are just Muslims.

Yeah! "just muslims trying to follow the correct interpretation of the holy book through the teachings of the prophet and his noble companions" if this is what u mean i 100% agree with u.

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by abrajproperty: 8:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
Quran 2:256 There shall be no compulsion in [acceptance of] the religion. The right course has become clear from the wrong. So whoever disbelieves in Taghut and believes in Allah has grasped the most trustworthy handhold with no break in it. And Allah is Hearing and Knowing.
Bélla3: i'd really appreciate a quran verse to support this.
PS: hadiths are nt acceptable.

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by nuorlah: 8:58pm On Jan 28, 2013
abdul4hire:

Yeah! "just muslims trying to follow the correct interpretation of the holy book through the teachings of the prophet and his noble companions" if this is what u mean i 100% agree with u.
Yes. That is what I mean
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 28, 2013
Thanks sir 4 d educative post, i am happy 4 dis write up but sir do remember dat islam in evrywhere it is bin founded it was done by the holy war e.g by mohammed in Mecca, in northern Nigeria by usman dan fodio. So wht do u call dat islamic war against pagans? Also cn u explain surah 9:29
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by raynold17(m): 9:14pm On Jan 28, 2013
nuorlah:

I dont know u as being right.

Try to compose your sentences better next time.

There is nothing in Islamic law(shareeah) that allows the crucifiction of anyone. So anyone who does that is on his own.

It is like saying the Niger delta people are christian kidnappers. It doesn't sound christian. Does it?

You all need to start acting like you went to schools
isn't that picture blaspheming? yet you don't see Christian killing people, a us embassy man that has no connection to the supposed blasphemous video about Muslim got killed for no ffing reason in Syria... the hatred for non Muslim is just too much.
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by prairie(f): 9:16pm On Jan 28, 2013
while christians are busy arguein, let us not become wat we r fightin. When you try to ward off a danger, there is alwys a probability of gettin lost, alwys try to come bak to God, let us not think we knowit all, be confident in the gospel. To all muslims, try to create awareness if dis is wat u want ppl to bliv, nt jus d internet but in d face of d likes of boko haram. Shalom!
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by tintingz(m): 9:16pm On Jan 28, 2013
thorpido: A muslim can choose to believe what he wants but 2 start quoting d bible in ignorance,i just av 2 comment.Pls can u show me where in d bible,it was written dat Jesus was only sent to the lost sheep of Israel?One of the most popular verses in d bible is John 3:16,'For God so love the WORLD that...'.Is Israel alone d world?Why don't you do study first before coming here to show ignorance.
Jesus said it with his own mouth...

Matthew 15:24 He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."

So dont just come here and tell me am showing ignorance
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by DrDoGood1(m): 9:20pm On Jan 28, 2013
islam and violent, two faces of the same coins. you are only trying to wish jihad mean what you said, but sorry jihad means absolute violent.
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by prairie(f): 9:20pm On Jan 28, 2013
@striktlymi, pls i commented on one of ur topics, pls chek wc one. Peace be with u
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by thorpido(m): 9:26pm On Jan 28, 2013
tintingz: Jesus said it with his own mouth...

Matthew 15:24 He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."

So dont just come here and tell me am showing ignorance
One verse brings u to a conclusion?Do u know that if u read just that chapter it will show u a deeper message.
Beyond religion,tintingz I'm sure u can do better than this.I've read some of your writings.
Maybe u just woke up b4 u wrote this.
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by Chamber10(m): 9:26pm On Jan 28, 2013
@Op, you tried sha, but I think you need to carry this preaching to the North, esp Boko Haram. I don hear
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by grafikii: 9:36pm On Jan 28, 2013
And who told you Muslims don't believe in jesus, some much ignorance.
Akpan107: I truelly love people like you... You did not deny that Jesus is Messiah, since the first part confirmed Jesus as the Messiah, i dont think the second part will deny Him as Messiah. However, you should get the English version of the QURAN and read carefully... The Quran actually confirmed Jesus Christ as the following: MESSIAH, the WORD of GOD & the SPIRIT from God in Quran 4v171, we Christians also believe in Jesus as the word of God... Now, the word of God has been with God right before the word was created and the world was created through Jesus Christ(the word of God)... My dear, the Quran has said it all... Now, believe in Jesus ur Messiah.
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by grafikii: 9:42pm On Jan 28, 2013
Are u kidding me, what we the crusaders reading while they butchered thousands of Muslim, was it playboy.
DailyNews: My dear, what I am saying is the reality. I am not supposed to say this out but let me say it.

I have an exclusive video here with me (I got it by chance, mistake or luck), where some group of black muslim guys (presumably the extremists), butchered their fellow muslim whom I believe betrayed them. Before they started using knife to butcher him and cut off his head like fowl, they read a long verse of the quoran in arabic and after the recitation, then went ahead to slaughter the guy. It was so brutal and carlous I wept while watching the way the guy was struggling helplessly to hold on to life.

The actions of some extremists muslims is so abominable and all muslims world over ought to converge and address this brutality by their extremist. I am not saying this because I am a Christian or Budha or Islam, I am saying it because I am a human with conscience and sympathy for human life.

Children grow up seeing and hearing these set of people taking innocent lives daily in all parts of the world and u still want to tell the children that it is for peace, for how long pls?

All religions should embibe the spirit of peace and practice your religion as u like but don't take other peoples lives in the name of religion, whether u are islam, christian, Budha or any.

You can never see where a group reads Bible to backup their brutal act of killing anyone for whatsoever reason because it is against Bible and if anyone dares bring holy Bible near when he/she wants to do such evil, believe me such person'§ is doomed becos Bible snares at murder no matter what the person did to you, Bible condemns anyone from taking another persons life.
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by tiarabubu: 9:43pm On Jan 28, 2013
Saksreal: JIHAD is a Term often misunderstood and associated with radical militants. The arabic word is wrongly misinterpretated as "Holy War", although there is no such thing in islam. Holy war is something undertaken to forcibly subject others to certain religious doctrines, which is forbidden in Islam.

The arabic word "Jihad" means a struggle or striving and applies to any great effort on the personal and social level. It is striving to do good and remove injustice and evil from oneself and the society. This exertion of effort can be spiritual, economic, social or political. For example, one of the highest level of Jihad is to stand before a tyrant and speak a word of truth. Restraining oneself from wrongdoing is also a form of Jihad. It is a broad concept that includes opposing evil inclinations within oneself, opposing injustice through peaceful means, efforts to improve the quality of life in a society as well as the striving by military forces on a battlefield in defence of the community or oppressed people. Jihad is not synonymus with war and it certainly does not involve terrorism. Armed Jihad is not an option for muslim individuals or groups and can only be declared by the muslim head of state. Moreover it must never be fought for wordly gain, conquest or revenge. Muslims may only engage in battle to protect people's lives, properties and freedom.

Jihad has conditions of restraint that distinguishes it from any other kind of warfare. They can be summarised as follows.

** Muslims must not begin hostilities. They must strive for peace as much as possible.
** All treaties and agreements must be observed as long as the enemy observes them.
** Muslims must fight only those who fight against them; non-combatants are not to be harmed.
** Weapons of mass destruction must never be used and collective punishment is strictly prohibited.
** Self-defense is not considered jihad if muslims are striking back in revenge.
** Hostilities should be ended as soon as the other party is inclined to peace

@Saksreal and Grafiki

Do these wars from 650 AD to the Christian Crusades count?

ISLAMIC WARS OF CONQUESTS
630 - Muhammad conquers Mecca from his base in Medina.
632 - Muhammad dies in Medina. Islam controls the Hijaz.
636 - Muslims conquest of Syria, and the surrounding lands, all Christian - including Palestine and Iraq.
637 - Muslim Armies conquer Iraq (some date it in 635 or 636)
638 - Muslim Armies conquer and annex Jerusalem, taking it from the Byzantines.
638 - 650 Muslim Armies conquer Iran, except along Caspian Sea.
639 - 642 Muslim Armies conquer then Christian Egypt.
641 - Muslim Armies control Syria and Palestine.
643 - 707 Muslim Armies conquer North Africa.
644 - 650 Muslim Armies conquer Christian Cyprus, Tripoli in North Africa, and establish Islamic rule in Iran, Afghanistan, and Sind.
673 - 678 Arabs besiege Christian Constantinople, capital of Byzantine Empire
691 - Dome of the Rock is completed in Jerusalem, only six decades after Muhammad's death.
710 - 713 Muslim Armies conquer the lower Indus Valley.
711 - 713 Muslim Invaders conquer Spain and impose the kingdom of Andalus. The Muslim conquest moves into Europe.
718 - Conquest of Spain complete.
732 - Muslim invasion of France is stopped at the Battle of Poitiers / Battle of Tours. The Franks, under their leader Charles Martel (the grandfather of Charlemagne), defeat the Muslims and turn them back out of France.
785 - Foundation of the Great Mosque of Cordova
789 - Rise of Idrisid amirs (Muslim Crusaders) in Morocco; Christoforos, a Muslim who converted to Christianity, is executed.
800 - Autonomous Aghlabid dynasty (Muslim Crusaders) in Tunisia
807 - Caliph Harun al—Rashid orders the destruction of non-Muslim prayer houses & of the church of Mary Magdalene in Jerusalem
809 - Aghlabids (Muslim Crusaders) conquer Sardinia, Italy
813 - Christians in Palestine are attacked; many flee the country
831 - Muslim invaders capture Palermo, Italy; raids in Southern Italy
837 - 901 Aghlabids (Muslim invaders) conquer Sicily, raid Corsica, Italy, France
869 - 883 Revolt of black slaves in Iraq
909 - Rise of the Fatimid Caliphate in Tunisia; these Muslim Crusaders occupy Sicily, Sardinia
928 - 969 Byzantine military revival, they retake old territories, such as Cyprus (964) and Tarsus (969)
937 - The Church of the Resurrection (aka Church of Holy Sepulcher) is burned down by Muslims; more churches in Jerusalem are attacked
960 - Conversion of Qarakhanid Turks to Islam 969 - Fatimids (Muslim Crusaders) conquer Egypt and found Cairo
973 - Israel and southern Syria are again conquered by the Fatimids
1003 - First persecutions by al—Hakim; the Church of St. Mark in Fustat, Egypt, is destroyed
1009 - Destruction of the Church of the Resurrection by al—Hakim (see 937)
1012 - Beginning of al—Hakim's oppressive decrees against Jews and Christians
1050 - Creation of Almoravid (Muslim invaders) movement in Mauretania; Almoravids (aka Murabitun) are coalition of western Saharan Berbers; followers of Islam, focusing on the Quran, the hadith, and Maliki law.
1071 - Battle of Manzikert, Seljuk Turks (Muslim Crusaders) defeat Byzantines and occupy much of Anatolia 1071 - Turks (Muslim invaders) invade Palestine
1073 - Conquest of Jerusalem by Turks (Muslim invaders)
1075 - Seljuks (Muslim invaders) capture Nicea (Iznik) and make it their capital in Anatolia
1086 - Almoravids (Muslim invaders) (see 1050) send help to Andalus, Battle of Zallaca
1090 - 1091 Almoravids (Muslim invaders) occupy all of Andalus except Saragossa and Balearic Islands

1094 --START OF WESTERN CRUSADES: Only after all of the Islamic aggressive invasions is when Western Christendom launches its first Crusades in retaliation to halt the Muslim aggression and invasion. 1094 - Byzantine emperor Alexius Comnenus I asks western Christendom for help against Seljuk (Muslim Turks) invasions of his territory 1095 - Pope Urban II preaches first Crusade; they capture Jerusalem in 1099

And some Muslims still complain about the Western Crusades after all the provocation! shocked shocked shocked shocked

Islamic scholarship divides the world in two:
1) The House of Islam (dar al-Islam): Nations submitted to Islamic rule.
2) The House of War (dar al-harb): Nations that have not submitted to Islam but must be submitted according to Islamic doctrine.

Thus, Muslims (dar al-Islam) believe they must make war upon non-Muslims (dar al-harb) until all nations submit to the will of Allah and accept Sharia law.

And of course, it continued to Usman dan Fodio.

Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by jude33084(m): 9:46pm On Jan 28, 2013
grafikii: Because someone calls himself a shiek does that mean Christianity his actions is what islam is all about, what about the millions of Muslim that preach peace, is Reverend king what Christianity is about

Did rev King pick up sword, shout God is the greatest aŋԂ kill non christian?
Did he preach against the muslim aŋԂ announce their death like Gumi does? Did he tell his follows to kill for God?
Muslims bring bad Ɲαмe to Islam aŋԂ you have to live with that undecided
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by grafikii: 9:46pm On Jan 28, 2013
Let all easterners come out and destroy the kidnappers in the east and the ss people should go and fight mend. Senseless comments
Orikinla: [size=18pt]Let all the Muslims in northern states come out and destroy the enemies of peace destroying innocent lives and properties in the north.

But when you only come online or on the pages of newspapers to make noise hiding behind unidentified usernames, then you are all cowards.

The way an innocent Muslim girl of 17 was kidnapped and slaughtered like an animal by Boko Haram terrorists left me speechless and what have you all done about it?

Did you see how President Barack Obama reacted to the Sandy Hook school shootings?
And the whole of America came out to campaign against illegal assault rifles.

Can 2 million Muslims march against Boko Haram in Borno State?
Or hide behind closed doors?

The choice is yours.[/size]
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by grafikii: 9:55pm On Jan 28, 2013
Since when did become the symbol of islam even Osama was disowned by Saudi Arabia and striped of his nationality
the_ripper: Abubakar Shekau is not convinced o.
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by grafikii: 10:04pm On Jan 28, 2013
Dude bush went into Iraq to spread freedom, tell me one Muslim country that has invaded another recently
tiarabubu:

@Saksreal and Grafiki

Do these wars from 650 AD to the Christian Crusades count?

ISLAMIC WARS OF CONQUESTS
630 - Muhammad conquers Mecca from his base in Medina.
632 - Muhammad dies in Medina. Islam controls the Hijaz.
636 - Muslims conquest of Syria, and the surrounding lands, all Christian - including Palestine and Iraq.
637 - Muslim Armies conquer Iraq (some date it in 635 or 636)
638 - Muslim Armies conquer and annex Jerusalem, taking it from the Byzantines.
638 - 650 Muslim Armies conquer Iran, except along Caspian Sea.
639 - 642 Muslim Armies conquer then Christian Egypt.
641 - Muslim Armies control Syria and Palestine.
643 - 707 Muslim Armies conquer North Africa.
644 - 650 Muslim Armies conquer Christian Cyprus, Tripoli in North Africa, and establish Islamic rule in Iran, Afghanistan, and Sind.
673 - 678 Arabs besiege Christian Constantinople, capital of Byzantine Empire
691 - Dome of the Rock is completed in Jerusalem, only six decades after Muhammad's death.
710 - 713 Muslim Armies conquer the lower Indus Valley.
711 - 713 Muslim Invaders conquer Spain and impose the kingdom of Andalus. The Muslim conquest moves into Europe.
718 - Conquest of Spain complete.
732 - Muslim invasion of France is stopped at the Battle of Poitiers / Battle of Tours. The Franks, under their leader Charles Martel (the grandfather of Charlemagne), defeat the Muslims and turn them back out of France.
785 - Foundation of the Great Mosque of Cordova
789 - Rise of Idrisid amirs (Muslim Crusaders) in Morocco; Christoforos, a Muslim who converted to Christianity, is executed.
800 - Autonomous Aghlabid dynasty (Muslim Crusaders) in Tunisia
807 - Caliph Harun al—Rashid orders the destruction of non-Muslim prayer houses & of the church of Mary Magdalene in Jerusalem
809 - Aghlabids (Muslim Crusaders) conquer Sardinia, Italy
813 - Christians in Palestine are attacked; many flee the country
831 - Muslim invaders capture Palermo, Italy; raids in Southern Italy
837 - 901 Aghlabids (Muslim invaders) conquer Sicily, raid Corsica, Italy, France
869 - 883 Revolt of black slaves in Iraq
909 - Rise of the Fatimid Caliphate in Tunisia; these Muslim Crusaders occupy Sicily, Sardinia
928 - 969 Byzantine military revival, they retake old territories, such as Cyprus (964) and Tarsus (969)
937 - The Church of the Resurrection (aka Church of Holy Sepulcher) is burned down by Muslims; more churches in Jerusalem are attacked
960 - Conversion of Qarakhanid Turks to Islam 969 - Fatimids (Muslim Crusaders) conquer Egypt and found Cairo
973 - Israel and southern Syria are again conquered by the Fatimids
1003 - First persecutions by al—Hakim; the Church of St. Mark in Fustat, Egypt, is destroyed
1009 - Destruction of the Church of the Resurrection by al—Hakim (see 937)
1012 - Beginning of al—Hakim's oppressive decrees against Jews and Christians
1050 - Creation of Almoravid (Muslim invaders) movement in Mauretania; Almoravids (aka Murabitun) are coalition of western Saharan Berbers; followers of Islam, focusing on the Quran, the hadith, and Maliki law.
1071 - Battle of Manzikert, Seljuk Turks (Muslim Crusaders) defeat Byzantines and occupy much of Anatolia 1071 - Turks (Muslim invaders) invade Palestine
1073 - Conquest of Jerusalem by Turks (Muslim invaders)
1075 - Seljuks (Muslim invaders) capture Nicea (Iznik) and make it their capital in Anatolia
1086 - Almoravids (Muslim invaders) (see 1050) send help to Andalus, Battle of Zallaca
1090 - 1091 Almoravids (Muslim invaders) occupy all of Andalus except Saragossa and Balearic Islands

1094 --START OF WESTERN CRUSADES: Only after all of the Islamic aggressive invasions is when Western Christendom launches its first Crusades in retaliation to halt the Muslim aggression and invasion. 1094 - Byzantine emperor Alexius Comnenus I asks western Christendom for help against Seljuk (Muslim Turks) invasions of his territory 1095 - Pope Urban II preaches first Crusade; they capture Jerusalem in 1099

And some Muslims still complain about the Western Crusades after all the provocation! shocked shocked shocked shocked

Islamic scholarship divides the world in two:
1) The House of Islam (dar al-Islam): Nations submitted to Islamic rule.
2) The House of War (dar al-harb): Nations that have not submitted to Islam but must be submitted according to Islamic doctrine.

Thus, Muslims (dar al-Islam) believe they must make war upon non-Muslims (dar al-harb) until all nations submit to the will of Allah and accept Sharia law.

And of course, it continued to Usman dan Fodio.

Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by grafikii: 10:11pm On Jan 28, 2013
I never knew it was christian doctrine to set people ablaze, all am saying is individual actions does not reflect islam
jude33084:

Did rev King pick up sword, shout God is the greatest aŋԂ kill non christian?
Did he preach against the muslim aŋԂ announce their death like Gumi does? Did he tell his follows to kill for God?
Muslims bring bad Ɲαмe to Islam aŋԂ you have to live with that undecided
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by brentkruge: 10:17pm On Jan 28, 2013
grafikii: Dude bush went into Iraq to spread freedom, tell me one Muslim country that has invaded another recently

LOL When its convenient for your arguments; America is a "Christian Country". When you want to argue for rights of Muslims; "America is a Secular Country". grin

Let me help you. America is a SECULAR country. Religious rules do not run the government. Even prayers are not said in schools and public events.

Iraq (a Muslim Country) invaded Kuwait and Iran. Kuwait requested for rescue from America and others! tongue
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by abdul4hire: 10:20pm On Jan 28, 2013
I say one of the greatest injustice is taken something out of context, with regards to the Quran this had led many astray....so we say as i said earlier we hav to luk back at how the prophet himself implemented Jihad.

when he was to perform the pilgrimage to makkah with his followers before its conquest, he was prevented and sent back by the pagans, due to this he had to sign a treaty with them which even involved him taken out his title as a prophet when he was about to sign just to appease the pagans. Even though not being able to perform the hajj that year angered his companions he told them to be patient...this treaty was suppose to last for ten years with the terms largely favouring the pagans. Why didnt he attack them and take over the holy mosque and the kabba? It was only when the pagans failed in their commitments and he had offered several options to them to save the treaty that he marched onto them with his followers.

On getting to makka with his followers the pagans where overwhelmed, so no fight ensued and then he declared
‘Whoever enters the house of Abu Sufyan(someone that had persecuted and killed a lot of the prophets companions)is safe. Whoever locks his door is safe. Whoever enters the mosque is safe.’ The Messenger(sallallahu alaiyhi wassallam) of Allah told his army not to use arms against anyone when they entered Makkah unless they met opposition or resistance. He directed the army not to touch property or possessions belonging to the people of Makkah and nothing should be destroyed . simply google treaty of hudaybiyah or conquest of makkah.

From this we learn
1.if the unbelievers do not prevent the muslims from practising their religion then we maintain our agreements.
2.Only the leader of the muslims can lead/order a jihad.

So we are saying there are verses in the quran that say clearly to attack the unbelievers and a muslim shouldnt sugarcoat, deny it or be apologetic about them but rather he should ask politely that every single person interprets them with the way of the prophet and understanding of his noble companions.
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by abdul4hire: 10:26pm On Jan 28, 2013
^^^
Akseph: Thanks sir 4 d educative post, i am happy 4 dis write up but sir do remember dat islam in evrywhere it is bin founded it was done by the holy war e.g by mohammed in Mecca, in northern Nigeria by usman dan fodio. So wht do u call dat islamic war against pagans? Also cn u explain surah 9:29
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by Bella3(f): 10:29pm On Jan 28, 2013
abdul4hire:

hmm... In Islam in order not to misinterpret verses or take out of context u must turn to the ahadith.

For example there is a consensus about the number of rakats for each prayer.i.e morning 2,afternoon 4 and so on. even though these are not mentioned in the quran.

So the prophet (saw) tru his actions and words explains/gives correct understanding of every single verse in the quran.

For clarification visit islamqa.com or search for the explanations of the most prominent islamic council in saudi arabia which issues rulings for day to day life of all muslims in saudi.

May Allah reward @OP.

Thank you for making my point. So you agree the quran is nt complete? Hehe

still no one to answer my question!
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by DanielNoble(m): 10:42pm On Jan 28, 2013
Saksreal: JIHAD is a Term often misunderstood and associated with radical militants. The arabic word is wrongly misinterpretated as "Holy War", although there is no such thing in islam. Holy war is something undertaken to forcibly subject others to certain religious doctrines, which is forbidden in Islam.

The arabic word "Jihad" means a struggle or striving and applies to any great effort on the personal and social level. It is striving to do good and remove injustice and evil from oneself and the society. This exertion of effort can be spiritual, economic, social or political. For example, one of the highest level of Jihad is to stand before a tyrant and speak a word of truth. Restraining oneself from wrongdoing is also a form of Jihad. It is a broad concept that includes opposing evil inclinations within oneself, opposing injustice through peaceful means, efforts to improve the quality of life in a society as well as the striving by military forces on a battlefield in defence of the community or oppressed people. Jihad is not synonymus with war and it certainly does not involve terrorism. Armed Jihad is not an option for muslim individuals or groups and can only be declared by the muslim head of state. Moreover it must never be fought for wordly gain, conquest or revenge. Muslims may only engage in battle to protect people's lives, properties and freedom.

Jihad has conditions of restraint that distinguishes it from any other kind of warfare. They can be summarised as follows.

** Muslims must not begin hostilities. They must strive for peace as much as possible.
** All treaties and agreements must be observed as long as the enemy observes them.
** Muslims must fight only those who fight against them; non-combatants are not to be harmed.
** Weapons of mass destruction must never be used and collective punishment is strictly prohibited.
** Self-defense is not considered jihad if muslims are striking back in revenge.
** Hostilities should be ended as soon as the other party is inclined to peace
back it up with quranic verses!
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by abdul4hire: 10:46pm On Jan 28, 2013
Bélla3: Thank you for making my point. So you agree the quran is nt complete? Hehe

still no one to answer my question!

Correlation?? Not safe to understand from face value means incomplete??

What i simply meant that the book was revealed to our prophet, so who should have a better understanding than him and his noble companions? Such that anyone that takes it in isolation will easily get misguided. So his actions and talk and the Quran are one and the same. It is the Quran that directs us to this understanding and it also states that the prophet never talks from his own desires.

Besides many comments have been directed to ur request....

1 Like

Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by JOYCEOUS(f): 10:51pm On Jan 28, 2013
ProfSule:

Is trying to have peace a problem? what jihad really means was just explained by a gud fellow nd u re here talking abt d yoruba's jihad nd d hausa fulani, why? in every tribe, religion, in short in everything, there are bad eggs. U shud undstnd dis pls.
wat u dnt get is,, d hausa/fulani muslims, dnt c oda tribe (muslims) as geniun muslims. PERIOD!!!
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by DanielNoble(m): 10:54pm On Jan 28, 2013
bola4dprec: In other words: Don't worry about the nonbelievers, Allah will deal with them in the afterlife. And as we have seen, the Qur'an is full of threats about the terrible fate awaiting nonbelievers there.
One very well-known verse used to prove tolerance in the Qur'an must be mentioned:
Let there be no compulsion in religion. (2:256)
how about the forcing of little kids to karatu and mallam flogging them to cram the quran Cramming language they can't undastand,they Just cram.
Re: The True Meaning Of Jihad by Bella3(f): 10:56pm On Jan 28, 2013
@abdul4hire(funny name)
no one answerd my question including you.
If the quran is truely glorious and complete, then there is no need for the hadith, no?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank / Nairalander At Arafat ( Hajj) With His Dad. / The Woman Is Married For Four Reasons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.