Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,601 members, 7,827,263 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) (19452 Views)

Things You Didnt Know About The Kaaba / GEJ's Ramadan Message To Nigerian Muslims / Why You Don't Hear Southern Nigerian Muslims Responses On National Issues. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by advocate666: 10:15am On Jan 29, 2013
Ishilove:
So satanism isn't a religion?

It is whatever you want it to be.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Chubhie: 10:17am On Jan 29, 2013
From the stable of Logicboy un usual......
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 11:35am On Jan 29, 2013
musKeeto:
Sharrap!!!!

una turn go soon reach again.. wink
who's this
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by advocate666: 2:15pm On Jan 29, 2013
mazaje:

Learn to read. . .Where did I say that the north is immune to any crime. . .Learn to read and understand before ejaculating nonsense. . .I was only showing him that despite the poverty in the south, the result is high level of crime(which occurs in the north as well). . .They never kill in the name of any religion or god. . .

Learn to write. Where did you say south? You specifically singled out the igbo tribe.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by plaetton: 2:28pm On Jan 29, 2013
Bravo logicboy!

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 2:52pm On Jan 29, 2013
advocate666:

Learn to write. Where did you say south? You specifically singled out the igbo tribe.
Please let it go. I'm Igbo too.

Let's not derail the thread, biko.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by mazaje(m): 2:55pm On Jan 29, 2013
advocate666:

OK, I apologize. . .I do not promote or encourage tribalism in any way. . .

6 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by mazaje(m): 3:03pm On Jan 29, 2013
Here is more for vexdaxcool that keeps LYING that the problem is from the north and not islam. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_X8dhrzQCHY

Here is what an Islamic cleric called Muhammad Hussein Yaqoub. . .For those that can not watch the video, here is the transcipt of what he said word for word translated from arabic to english. . .

Muhammad Hussein Yaqoub: If the Jews left Palestine to us, would we start loving them? Of course not. We will never love them. Absolutely not. The Jews are infidels not because I say so, and not because they are killing Muslims, but because Allah said: The Jews say that Uzair is the son of Allah, and the Christians say that Christ is the son of Allah. These are the words from their mouths. They imitate the sayings of the disbelievers before. May Allah fight them. How deluded they are. It is Allah who said that they are infidels.

[That's Qur'an 9:30.]

Your belief regarding the Jews should be, first, that they are infidels, and second, that they are enemies. They are enemies not because they occupied Palestine. They would have been enemies even if they did not occupy a thing. Allah said: You shall find the strongest men in enmity to the disbelievers [sic] to be the Jews and the polytheists.

[Thats Qur'an 5:82.]

Third, you must believe that the Jews will never stop fighting and killing us. They [fight] not for the sake of land and security, as they claim, but for the sake of their religion: And they will not cease fighting you until they turn you back youre your religion, if they can.

[Thats Qur'an 2:217.]

This is it. We must believe that our fighting with the Jews is eternal, and it will not end until the final battle and this is the fourth point. You must believe that we will fight, defeat, and annihilate them, until not a single Jew remains on the face of the Earth.

It is not me who says so. The Prophet said: Judgment Day will not come until you fight the Jews and kill them. The Jews will hide behind stones and trees, and the stones and tree will call: Oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him except for the Gharqad tree, which is the tree of the Jews. I have heard that they are planting many of these trees now. [...]

[That Hadith can be found at Sahih Muslim 6985.]

As for you Jews the curse of Allah upon you. The curse of Allah upon you, whose ancestors were apes and pigs.

[That's Qur'an 2:62-65; 5:59-60; and 7:166.]

You Jews have sown hatred in our hearts, and we have bequeathed it to our children and grandchildren. You will not survive as long as a single one of us remains.

[...]

Oh Jews, may the curse of Allah be upon you. Oh Jews... Oh Allah, bring Your wrath, punishment, and torment down upon them. Allah, we pray that you transform them again, and make the Muslims rejoice again in seeing them as apes and pigs. You pigs of the earth! You pigs of the earth! You kill the Muslims with that cold pig [blood] of yours.

2 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by mazaje(m): 3:07pm On Jan 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9BOPR3yhY4&feature=related

Here is another muslim preacher from UEA declaring that their war with the jews is a religious one sanctioned by the koran. . .The guy claims that allah has gathered the jews in israel to make it easier for muslims to fight them. Can the LYING vedaxcool provide a video of any hindu or christian using the bible or the verdes in this mordern era for justification or basis for fighting muslims? The problem is islam not the people residing in the north of Nigeria. . .

4 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 29, 2013
@mazaje. SMH. Peacemaker indeed. How can any human believe that the coming of the end must be spearheaded by the destruction of a race.
The problem with Islam is that the good adherents don't condemn statements like this. They seat back and chant:'islam is peace'.
In christainity, their are flaws too, but what distinguishes it from islam, is the willingness to massively condemn a senseless deed or statement by whosoever.

2 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 29, 2013
mazaje: Here is more for vexdaxcool that keeps LYING that the problem is from the north and not islam. . .

Here is what an Islamic cleric called Muhammad Hussein Yaqoub. . .For those that can not watch the video, here is the transcipt of what he said word for word translated from arabic to english. . .

Muhammad Hussein Yaqoub: If the Jews left Palestine to us, would we start loving them? Of course not. We will never love them. Absolutely not. The Jews are infidels not because I say so, and not because they are killing Muslims, but because Allah said: The Jews say that Uzair is the son of Allah, and the Christians say that Christ is the son of Allah. These are the words from their mouths. They imitate the sayings of the disbelievers before. May Allah fight them. How deluded they are. It is Allah who said that they are infidels.

Your belief regarding the Jews should be, first, that they are infidels, and second, that they are enemies. They are enemies not because they occupied Palestine. They would have been enemies even if they did not occupy a thing. Allah said: You shall find the strongest men in enmity to the disbelievers [sic] to be the Jews and the polytheists.

Third, you must believe that the Jews will never stop fighting and killing us. They [fight] not for the sake of land and security, as they claim, but for the sake of their religion: And they will not cease fighting you until they turn you back youre your religion, if they can.

This is it. We must believe that our fighting with the Jews is eternal, and it will not end until the final battle and this is the fourth point. You must believe that we will fight, defeat, and annihilate them, until not a single Jew remains on the face of the Earth.

It is not me who says so. The Prophet said: Judgment Day will not come until you fight the Jews and kill them. The Jews will hide behind stones and trees, and the stones and tree will call: Oh Muslim, oh servant of Allah, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him except for the Gharqad tree, which is the tree of the Jews. I have heard that they are planting many of these trees now. [...]

As for you Jews the curse of Allah upon you. The curse of Allah upon you, whose ancestors were apes and pigs.

You Jews have sown hatred in our hearts, and we have bequeathed it to our children and grandchildren. You will not survive as long as a single one of us remains.

[...]

Oh Jews, may the curse of Allah be upon you. Oh Jews... Oh Allah, bring Your wrath, punishment, and torment down upon them. Allah, we pray that you transform them again, and make the Muslims rejoice again in seeing them as apes and pigs. You pigs of the earth! You pigs of the earth! You kill the Muslims with that cold pig [blood] of yours.

Good afternoon mazaje,

The above is very disturbing!

Are you saying that the interpretation giving by the cleric is generally accepted by every Islamic scholar as correct? Or is there some other interpretation to those verses?

I know too well not to take some words at face value! Context in which some words are used is very important here. Just like advocate disregarded the context in which you used some of the seemingly "tribalistic" words, don't you think this cleric is making the same mistake?

I do hope tbaba or some other 'Islamic scholar' would shed some light on this.

Thank you!
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 29, 2013
jammyng: who's this

Good afternoon jammy,

This is for your ears only...***draws close in whispers***...that's ma Uncle muskeeto...he knows Karate...Lol!!!

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 29, 2013
@ mazaje n muskeeto,una head dey there.vedaxcool has to learn to look at d message instead of d messenger.yes,logicboy is an atheist,but he has proferred a most constructive n productive means of curtailing d excesses of islamic extremists .i haven't heard or read any muslim leader making dis much sense out of their religion.muslims, read,ponder d op n go do thou likewise.kudos to logicboy for dis wonderful piece.

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by vedaxcool(m): 4:17pm On Jan 29, 2013
Oh dear mazaje, ever so ready not to use his small grey matter in getting to the truth, let me expose you and your lying memri tv, which if you had any respect for the truth u would have atleast wondered how truthful the material you putting forward actually is, like I said earlier greedy northerners like you who hide "your" wealth abroad rather than use it to aid your fellow tribes men in getting a better life, something you should have atleast learn from your white overlords, who attimes think of you as zwerte piete but still use their wealth in making the less privilage ones in their society have something to look out for, I reiterate that riots in the north is the hand work of street urchins who use it as a pretext to loot people property that is why even muslims from other part of the country pay dearly during such riots, the op is plainly garbage and nothing more than the pontification of an individual who tries to give something he dearly lacks and hardly understand

Accusations of bias
Brian Whitaker, the Middle East editor
for The Guardian newspaper wrote in a
public email debate with Carmon, that
his problem with MEMRI was that it
"poses as a research institute when it's
basically a propaganda operation." [6]
Earlier, Whitaker had charged that
MEMRI's role was to "further the political
agenda of Israel." and that MEMRI's
website does not mention Carmon's
employment for Israeli intelligence, or
Meyrav Wurmser's political stance, which
he described as an "extreme brand of
Zionism." [4] Carmon responded to this
by stating that his employment history is
not a secret and was not political, as he
served under opposing administrations
of the Israeli government and that
perhaps the issue was that he was
Israeli: "If your complaint is that I am
Israeli, then please say so." Carmon also
questioned Whitaker's own biases,
wondering if Whitaker's is biased in favor
of Arabs -as his website on the middle
east is named "Al-Bab" ("The Gateway"
in Arabic)- stating: "I wonder how you
would judge an editor whose website
was called "Ha-Sha-ar" ("The Gateway"
in Hebrew)?[6]
Selectivity
Several critics have accused MEMRI of
selectivity. They state that MEMRI
consistently picks for translation and
dissemination the most extreme views,
which portray the Arab and Muslim world
in a negative light, while ignoring
moderate views that are often found in
the same media outlets.[4][30][30][31]
[32]Juan Cole, a professor of Modern
Middle East History at the University of
Michigan, argues MEMRI has a tendency
to "cleverly cherry-pick the vast Arabic
press, which serves 300 million people,
for the most extreme and objectionable
articles and editorials...On more than
one occasion I have seen, say, a bigoted
Arabic article translated by MEMRI and
when I went to the source on the web,
found that it was on the same op-ed
page with other, moderate articles
arguing for tolerance. These latter were
not translated."[33] Former head of the
CIA's counterintelligence unit, Vincent
Cannistraro, said that MEMRI "are
selective and act as propagandists for
their political point of view, which is the
extreme-right of Likud. They simply
don't present the whole picture."[34]
[35]Laila Lalami, writing in The Nation,
states that MEMRI "consistently picks the
most violent, hateful rubbish it can find,
translates it and distributes it in e-mail
newsletters to media and members of
Congress in Washington".[30] As a
result, critics such as Ken Livingstone
state, MEMRI's analyses are "distortion".
[36][37] A report by Center for American
Progress, titled "Fear, Inc. The Roots of
the Islamophobia Network in America"
lists MEMRI as promoting Islamophobic
propaganda in the USA through
supplying selective translations that are
relied upon by several organisations "to
make the case that Islam is inherently
violent and promotes extremism."[38]
MEMRI argues that they are quoting the
government-controlled press and not
obscure or extremist publications, a fact
their critics acknowledge, according to
Marc Perelman."When we quote Al-
Ahram in Egypt, it is as if we were
quoting The New York Times. We know
there are people questioning our work,
probably those who have difficulties
seeing the truth. But no one can show
anything wrong about our
translations."[34]
Alleged translation inaccuracy
See also: Tomorrow's Pioneers#
Translation controversy
The accuracy of MEMRI's translations are
considered "usually accurate" though
occasionally disputed and highly
selective in what it chooses to translate
and in which context it puts things,[39]
as in the case of MEMRI's translation of a
2004 Osama bin Laden video, which
MEMRI defended.[6][37][40][41][42]
Norman Finkelstein, in an interview with
the newspaper In Focus compared
MEMRI to the "propaganda techniques"
of the Nazis.[43]
Following the 7 July 2005 London
bombings, Al Jazeera invited Hani al-
Sebai, an Islamist living in Britain, to take
part in a discussion on the event. For
one segment of the discussion in regard
to the victims, MEMRI provided the
following translation of al-Sebai's words:
the term civilians does not exist in
Islamic religious law. Dr Karmi is sitting
here, and I am sitting here, and I’m
familiar with religious law. There is no
such term as civilians in the modern
western sense. People are either at
war or not.[44]
Al-Sebai subsequently claimed that
MEMRI had mistranslated his interview,
and that among other errors, he had
actually said:
there is no term in Islamic
jurisprudence called civilians. Dr Karmi
is here sitting with us, and he's very
familiar with the jurisprudence. There
are fighters and non-fighters. Islam is
against the killing of innocents. The
innocent man cannot be killed
according to Islam.
By leaving out the condemnation of the
"killing of innocents" entirely,
Mohammed El Oifi writing in Le Monde
diplomatique argued that this translation
left the implication that civilians (the
innocent) are considered a legitimate
target.[36] Several British newspapers
subsequently used MEMRI's translation
to run headlines such as "Islamic radical
has praised the suicide bomb attacks on
the capital"[45] prompting al-Sebai to
demand an apology and take legal
action. In his view, MEMRI's translation
was also "an incitement to have me
arrested by the British authorities."[46]
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by vedaxcool(m): 4:20pm On Jan 29, 2013
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East_Media_Research_Institute

Read more there, if you have guts to face the truth, mosquito, keep up with the mosquito chants, it disturbs, but reminds one of the word plain nuisance indeed!
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by tbaba1234: 4:22pm On Jan 29, 2013
mazaje: Only one reading the koran with the eyes of faith could seriously disregard that the book on almost every page instructs observant muslims to despise non believers. On almost every page, it prepares the ground for religious conflict.

This is so wrong and a grossly unfair assessment... I have not only read the Quran, I have studied it. The Arabic. I understand the history context of many ayat and the meanings of words and how they are used. I replied to this comment because many would read it and say it is a fact, even if they have not read the Quran themselves.

So to say, it espouses despise of 'unbeliever' is wrong because the Quran never uses the term 'unbeliever'.

Lesley Hazleton studied the Quran with its historical contexts and had this to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7yaDlZfqrc

The truth is that the converse is the case. If you read the Quran with a bias or with hatred. You will always find things to complain about.

Many non-muslims actually gain a greater respect for the Quran after reading it, even if they do not become muslim.

They are taught that the book is so bad and evil until they read it for themselves. There are many ex-muslim haters who actually reverted to Islam or developed a friendlier approach to muslims after reading the Quran for themselves.

To say, my faith bias blinds me to hate is ridiculous... Maybe someday, we can have a detailed discussion to talk about ayat in the Quran so i can clear up what you consider 'hate'.

For those you want to read the Quran for themselves, here's a PDF copy: http://asadullahali.files./2010/09/the_quran.pdf

Read it and develop your own opinions.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jan 29, 2013
striktlymi:

Muskeeto didn't know you could be this funny. I actually laughed when I read the quote above...***Mr. Tunji I mean no disrespect here***

But I noticed that Mr. Tunji is only against criticisms that are not well constructed but again I have not seen every post he has hidden so I limit my assessment to those I have seen.

PS: Sorry logicboy for derailing...

I agree with you totally on the above. We should learn to live in peace and allow God fight his battles. We don't need to kill in God's name to show that he is mighty in battle.

But again, I am of the opinion that if we must criticize any religion or those who do not practice religion, it should be done constructively and not 'recklessly'. This however is not an excuse for one to kill in God's name.

Thank you!
you do not need to br reckless to incure the wrath of that boy. Innocent question he can not answer is enough
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 29, 2013
Mee234:
you do not need to br reckless to incure the wrath of that boy. Innocent question he can not answer is enough
What?
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 4:31pm On Jan 29, 2013
tbaba1234:

This is so wrong and a grossly unfair assessment... I have not only read the Quran, I have studied it. The Arabic. I understand the history context of many ayat and the meanings of words and how they are used. I replied to this comment because many would read it and say it is a fact, even if they have not read the Quran themselves.

So to say, it espouses despise of 'unbeliever' is wrong because the Quran never uses the term 'unbeliever'.

Lesley Hazleton studied the Quran with its historical contexts and had this to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7yaDlZfqrc

The truth is that the converse is the case. If you read the Quran with a bias or with hatred. You will always find things to complain about.

Many non-muslims actually gain a greater respect for the Quran after reading it, even if they do not become muslim.

They are taught that the book is so bad and evil until they read it for themselves. There are many ex-muslim haters who actually reverted to Islam or developed a friendlier approach to muslims after reading the Quran for themselves.

To say, my faith bias blinds me to hate is ridiculous... Maybe someday, we can have a detailed discussion to talk about ayat in the Quran so i can clear up what you consider 'hate'.

For those you want to read the Quran for themselves, here's a PDF copy: http://asadullahali.files./2010/09/the_quran.pdf

Read it and develop your own opinions.

Please, address the topic. I thought that my letter would reach educated muslims as yourself.

Lesley Hazleton is a shill. She is a confused woman with a less than scholarly knowledge of Arabic. I would prefer you use better sources.
Mee234:

come again?
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jan 29, 2013
Vedaxcool please learn from tbaba...
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jan 29, 2013
Btw, thread's been moved to the Muslim section...
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jan 29, 2013
advocate666: Logicboy, just look at Vedaxcool, tbaba1234 posts and the other silent muslims and see the type of people your are trying to change.
There is nothing to change. Only total eradication can bring about lasting peace and progress.

Do you honestly believe that?

Advocate, you should realise that lasting peace and progress does not come when the rights of people are being trampled upon!

As long as we have cases where people are barred from being religious or where individuals are persecuted because they are not into religion or where the rights of the minority are being used as toilet paper, there can never be meaningful peace and progress.

Thank you!
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 29, 2013
musKeeto: Btw, thread's been moved to the Muslim section...

I noticed too!

I wonder why it hasn't made front page yet...hmmm!
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by tbaba1234: 4:51pm On Jan 29, 2013
Logicboy03:
Please, address the topic. I thought that my letter would reach educated muslims as yourself.

Lesley Hazleton is a shill. She is a confused woman with a less than scholarly knowledge of Arabic. I would prefer you use better sources.

I will address the topic but i will first clear the dust raised by mistranslated and misquoted ayat.

Lesley Hazleton is far more educated about the middle east and Islam than many people here. She has written (or is writing) books on Islamic history and the biography of the prophet so she understands what the Quran is talking about..
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by tbaba1234: 6:41pm On Jan 29, 2013
mazaje: Here is more for vexdaxcool that keeps LYING that the problem is from the north and not islam. . .

[...]

@Mazaje

Given the history between muslims and Jews... Do you really think we are 'eternal enemies"?? This myth has only been perpetuated in the last century given the Israeli-palestianian conflict... In actual fact, Islam saved Jewry.

Islam saved Jewry. This is an unpopular, discomforting claim in the modern world. But it is a historical truth. The argument for it is double. First, in 570 CE, when the Prophet Mohammad was born, the Jews and Judaism were on the way to oblivion. And second, the coming of Islam saved them, providing a new context in which they not only survived, but flourished, laying foundations for subsequent Jewish cultural prosperity - also in Christendom - through the medieval period into the modern world.

By the fourth century, Christianity had become the dominant religion in the Roman empire. One aspect of this success was opposition to rival faiths, including Judaism, along with massive conversion of members of such faiths, sometimes by force, to Christianity. Much of our testimony about Jewish existence in the Roman empire from this time on consists of accounts of conversions.

Great and permanent reductions in numbers through conversion, between the fourth and the seventh centuries, brought with them a gradual but relentless whittling away of the status, rights, social and economic existence, and religious and cultural life of Jews all over the Roman empire.

A long series of enactments deprived Jewish people of their rights as citizens, prevented them from fulfilling their religious obligations, and excluded them from the society of their fellows.

Had Islam not come along, Jewry in the west would have declined to disappearance and Jewry in the east would have become just another oriental cult

This is from the Jewish Chronicle:
Read more: http://www.thejc.com/comment-and-debate/comment/68082/so-what-did-muslims-do-jews

Judaism would actually have gone into extinction from the prosecution of christianity had Islam not come along.

Rabbi Isaac Tzarfati invited the Jews who were suffering intense persecution in central europe to the land of the muslims :

“…Listen my brethren, to the counsel I will give you. I, too, was born in Germany and studied Torah with the German rabbis. I was driven out of my native country and came into the Turkish land, which is blessed by God and filled with all good things. Here I found rest and happiness. Turkey can also become for you the land of peace. ..If you who live in Germany knew even a tenth of what God has blessed us with in this land, you would not consider any difficulties, you would set out to come to us...Here in the land of the Turks we have nothing to complain of. We possess great fortunes; much gold and silver are in our hands. We are not oppressed with heavy taxes, and our commerce is free and unhindered. Rich are the fruits of the earth. Everything is cheap, and everyone of us lives in peace and freedom. Here the Jew is not compelled to wear a yellow hat as a badge of shame, as is the case in Germany...Arise my brethren, give up your lands, collect your forces, and come to us. Here you will be free of your enemies, here you will find rest...(Shaw, 1991, p.32).”

Now this is from a historical perspective, The statement attributed to the cleric is one of the extreme fringes positions that exist amongst muslims but it is by no means the mainstream position.

Before the conflict in palestine, there were jews living in all the arab/muslim countries in peace. They still have significant number of Jews living in Morocco, Yemen, Iran and a few other states.

As regards the ayat quoted, let's examine each one of them

First of all, the word Kafir translated as 'infidel' is inaccurate as the word refers to something being buried or rejected..

Let's go to lanes lexicon, a classical arabic dictionary and a common reference for those who study the Quran:

He veiled, concealed, hid, or covered, the thing: (S, A,*
Mgh,* Mqb, ; or he covered the thing so as to
detroy it: (Az, TA and &C* .' , aor. [and
inf. n.] as above, he corered it; covered it /

http://www.studyquran.org/LaneLexicon/Volume7/00000148.pdf

A more appropriate translation is 'disbeliever' one who has covered, rejected or covered Islam when it was presented to him in a clear way. A person who never hears about Islam or never heard about it in the true form, is not considered a kafir.

Let see the extent of poor translations and misunderstood historical concepts.

First ayat:

The Jews said, ‘Ezra is the son of God,’a and the Christians said, ‘The Messiah is the son of God’: they said this with their own mouths, repeating what earlier disbelievers had said. May God confound them! How far astray they have been led! (Surah 9:30)

A sect amongst the jews had called Ezra the son of God. Here God simply rejects the claim of certain Jews and christians and comments on how far they have been led astray because they repeat statements mentioned by group of disbelievers (attributing sons and daughters to God)..

second ayat:

You [Prophet] are sure to find that the most hostile to the believers are the Jews and those who associate other deities with God; you are sure to find that the closest in affection towards the believers are those
who say, ‘We are Christians,’ for there are among them people devoted to learning and ascetics.a These people are not given to arrogance (5:82)

Third ayat:

They ask you [Prophet] about fighting in the prohibited month. Say, ‘Fighting in that month is a great offence, but to bar others from God’s path, to disbelieve in Him, prevent access to the Sacred Mosque, and expel its people, are still greater offences in God’s eyes: persecution is worse than killing. They will not stop fighting you [believers] until they make you revoke your faith, if they can. If any of you revoke your faith and die as disbelievers, your deeds will come to nothing in this world and the Hereafter, and you will be inhabitants of the Fire, there to remain. (Surah 2:217)

This was in relation to the paganso f Mecca who had killed the muslims, chased them out of their homes and confiscated their properties. This continued for a period of 10 years. The muslims remained non-violent until the command for all of that period until the command to fight back was given when we had a State.

Fourth quote:

Even after that you turned away. Had it not been for God’s favour and mercy on you, you would certainly have been lost. You know about those of you who broke the Sabbath, and so We said to them, ‘Be like apes!b Be outcasts!’ (Surah 2:64-65)

A discussion about a certain group of Jews that broke the sabbath, a discussion with the children of Israel

Nothing here is a calling for hate.. The last quote about a battle with certain groups of Jews in the end times is true

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jan 29, 2013
@tbaba: it seems like you'd rather try to convert us to Islam than address the matter at hand. Save it for another thread.

Those imams misguiding the youths or 'urchins' as our resident troll would like to call them, aren't preaching to them from the Bible or the pages of any science book.

They're preaching from the Quran. Now as to whether whatever they're preaching is right or wrong by Islamic standards is none of our concern.

People are being killed In NIGERIA by NIGERIANS... Take note of the capitalized - NIGERIA, not Israel or Pakistan or wherever...

What's the best way to handle this?

The Militants in the south had their own problems, yeah they may have been Christians but no one ever blamed it on the Bible. Why is Islam different? What makes an uneducated young man so blood thirsty that he would kill in the name of God?

Keep your proselytizing for another day. Address the issue here, pls.. At least, vedaxcool made a feeble attempt...

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by tbaba1234: 6:53pm On Jan 29, 2013
musKeeto: @tbaba: it seems like you'd rather try to convert us to Islam than address the matter at hand. Save it for another thread.

Those imams misguiding the youths or 'urchins' as our resident troll would like to call them, aren't preaching to them from the Bible or the pages of any science book.

They're preaching from the Quran. Now as to whether whatever they're preaching is right or wrong by Islamic standards is none of our concern.

People are being killed In NIGERIA by NIGERIANS... Take note of the capitalized - NIGERIA, not Israel or Pakistan or wherever...

What's the best way to handle this?

The Militants in the south had their own problems, yeah they may have been Christians but no one ever blamed it on the Bible. Why is Islam different? What makes an uneducated young man so blood thirsty that he would kill in the name of God?

Keep your proselytizing for another day. Address the issue here, pls.. At least, vedaxcool made a feeble attempt...

Thanks.

I have not done any proselytizing... I just cleared up mazaje's fallacious posts.... Time to pray, id be back.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Playing Dice Game Is Haram In Islam / Eid-l-fitri 2019: Crescent Has Been Sighted, Sultan To Make Announcement Shortly / 2 Mistakes We Commit About Prayer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.