Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,838 members, 7,956,163 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:19 AM

An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) (19857 Views)

Things You Didnt Know About The Kaaba / GEJ's Ramadan Message To Nigerian Muslims / Why You Don't Hear Southern Nigerian Muslims Responses On National Issues. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 29, 2013
musKeeto:
What?
u don't need to insult Islam in this section to earn yourself a ban or your post hidden.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 7:01pm On Jan 29, 2013
Logicboy03:

come again?
I mean you don't need to be reckless with you comment to earn a ban in this section.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Bella3(f): 7:05pm On Jan 29, 2013
I was expecting 'good' muslims to agree and congratulate logicboy! Atleast the tone of the original post was neutral... And i thought muslims werent perfect? So why nt agree with this post instead of coming up with excuses like poverty in the north or trying to tell us about arabic?

Well, am not too disappointed.

5 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by vedaxcool(m): 7:09pm On Jan 29, 2013
^

Neither are we!
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Bella3(f): 7:16pm On Jan 29, 2013
vedaxcool: ^

Neither are we!
i thought as much.

4 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by vedaxcool(m): 7:45pm On Jan 29, 2013
So did we!
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 29, 2013
An advice for vedaxcool and tbaba.
One of the most stupid thing anybody can ever do is to sit down, compose lengthy articles, not only not addressing the issue at hand, but also worth nothing.
Even though you want to be meaningless, save yourself the stress of typing long speeches. Make the garbage short.

7 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by mazaje(m): 8:28pm On Jan 29, 2013
Bélla3: I was expecting 'good' muslims to agree and congratulate logicboy! Atleast the tone of the original post was neutral... And i thought muslims werent perfect? So why nt agree with this post instead of coming up with excuses like poverty in the north or trying to tell us about arabic?

Well, am not too disappointed.

My signature says it all. . . People don't believe in their religion because they think it makes sense. They think it makes sense because it's THEIR religion.

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by mazaje(m): 8:31pm On Jan 29, 2013
musKeeto: @tbaba: it seems like you'd rather try to convert us to Islam than address the matter at hand. Save it for another thread.

Those imams misguiding the youths or 'urchins' as our resident troll would like to call them, aren't preaching to them from the Bible or the pages of any science book.

I truly do not understand what vedaxcool is ranting about. . .
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Bella3(f): 8:35pm On Jan 29, 2013
mazaje:

My signature says it all. . . People don't believe in their religion because they think it makes sense. They think it makes sense because it's THEIR religion.
True, bt not in all cases. Some people have actually tested their faith.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Bella3(f): 8:36pm On Jan 29, 2013
mazaje:

True, bt certainlly not in all cases. Some people have actually tested their faith.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Bella3(f): 8:38pm On Jan 29, 2013
Reyginus: An advice for vedaxcool and tbaba.
One of the most stupid thing anybody can ever do is to sit down, compose lengthy articles, not only not addressing the issue at hand, but also worth nothing.
Even though you want to be meaningless, save yourself the stress of typing long speeches. Make the garbage short.
100 likes.
The epistles are rather annoying.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by MacDaddy01: 9:52pm On Jan 29, 2013
tbaba1234:

I will address the topic but i will first clear the dust raised by mistranslated and misquoted ayat.

Lesley Hazleton is far more educated about the middle east and Islam than many people here. She has written (or is writing) books on Islamic history and the biography of the prophet so she understands what the Quran is talking about..

She doesnt understand Arabic as she said that she was still learning when she made that video. She also is not even stable in her beliefs. She holds no serious credibility on the Quran.

Please address the topic
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by vedaxcool(m): 9:52pm On Jan 29, 2013
Bélla3: True, bt certainlly not in all cases. Some people have actually tested their faith.

Lol true but not in my case, I have tested my faith like swallowing poison in the name of jesus as commanded by jesus and nothing happened to me . . . In my name they shall cast demons, hold serpents and take poison . . . You christians don't disappoint in the highly "logically" way you present things grin grin grin, ally yourselves even with satanist, all we always get from you and your allies are amazing display of ignorance of how things are!

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Bella3(f): 10:05pm On Jan 29, 2013
vedaxcool:

Lol true but not in my case, I have tested my faith like swallowing poison in the name of jesus as commanded by jesus and nothing happened to me . . . In my name they shall cast demons, hold serpents and take poison . . . You christians don't disappoint in the highly "logically" way you present things grin grin grin, ally yourselves even with satanist, all we always get from you and your allies are amazing display of ignorance of how things are!
Abeg logicboy borrow me that facepalm pic, cant find it.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by MacDaddy01: 10:07pm On Jan 29, 2013
vedaxcool:

[img]http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/1313178415025.jpg[/img]

10 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by vedaxcool(m): 10:09pm On Jan 29, 2013
mazaje:

I truly do not understand what vedaxcool is ranting about. . .

And you want us to believe you understand anything about conflicts in the North? After all you people simply have no evidence for your claims except conjecture which seem more like an attempt to read peoples' mind like your signature indicates, unless atheism come with mind reading abilities if you read your reply which happens to assume various interests in starting conflicts, you would come to realize that it consist nothing more than simplistic pandering to matters that are quite complicated in a lot of sense!
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by MacDaddy01: 10:14pm On Jan 29, 2013
vedaxcool:

And you want us to believe you understand anything about conflicts in the North? After all you people simply have no evidence for your claims except conjecture which seem more like an attempt to read peoples' mind like your signature indicates, unless atheism come with mind reading abilities if you read your reply which happens to assume various interests in starting conflicts, you would come to realize that it consist nothing more than simplistic pandering to matters that are quite complicated in a lot of sense!

Ok. Stop derailing. We all agree with you. Islam does no wrong and muslims are perfect. Move along.

Lets hear what Tbaba and other responsible muslims have to say

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by vedaxcool(m): 10:17pm On Jan 29, 2013
Bélla3: Abeg logicboy borrow me that facepalm pic, cant find it.

Lol grin grin grin if I were I won't be too disappointed in myself, coz swallowing poison is a sure way to death, in fact I would rather ignore the bible than risk testing my faith fatally

16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

I advise you not to test your faith . . .

grin grin cheesy
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Bella3(f): 10:28pm On Jan 29, 2013
vedaxcool:

Lol grin grin grin if I were I won't be too disappointed in myself, coz swallowing poison is a sure way to death, in fact I would rather ignore the bible than risk testing my faith fatally

16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 17And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

I advise you not to test your faith . . .

grin grin cheesy
Very funny. True true i actually laughed. I AGREE I DONT HAVE FAITH.
But that is far from the topic at hand.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 29, 2013
vedaxcool:

Next time I will put it into consideration that black men don't like to read when addressing issues and we know blacks who don't like to read will like your post 1000 times. Nigeria really need to re awake the reading culture if the country is to have a future indeed!
That's not the case here, brother. It gives one brain trauma when you write down nonsense a thousand times.

5 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by tbaba1234: 10:37pm On Jan 29, 2013
Like i promised, I would address the topic. Just had to clear out the garbage first. Plus i was watching Nigeria's match. phew!! Those boys will not kill me .. grin grin

The Op has made some decent points. We are all Nigerians and we all essentially want the same things, food, shelter, clothing, peace and security for ourselves and our loved ones. But, I do not know if you are sending your message to the right audience. The vast majority of muslims in Nigeria are peace-loving citizens. I have been a muslim all my life and i have been blessed to meet muslims from across the world, I have never come across one with extreme views or thoughts in Nigeria or elsewhere. Some of the kindest people, i have met in my life have been arab muslims.

The Nigerian problem is multi-faceted. Even though a religious angle does exist, those sentiments are usually fuelled by ethic and political interests, high unemployment rate, cultural heritage and low literacy levels. Non-hausa muslims are also in trouble when a riot breaks out in some parts of the north. Some of my good friends are Northern muslims and they are excellent muslims so this is not in any way an indictment on all Northerners.

As regards, El rufai comments. He will be the first to acknowledge that it goes against the basic Islamic teaching to say things like that against a messenger of God. That is Islam 101. Muslims shouldn't even say things against a pagan god.

Like the Quran says:

“Do not revile those they call on beside God, so they, in their hostility, revile God, without knowledge” [6:108]

This is a direct instruction to muslims not to insult the gods of others so that they do not in their ignorance insult God.

Muslims are very sensitive about insults to our revered, God and his messengers. I personally can't stand seeing a joke making fun of Jesus (A.S.) or Moses (A.S.). That is how sensitive we are, some people do get really emotional about these things and do things that are totally against the religion or Sometimes peaceful protests are hijacked by miscreants.

I will disagree with you on one point, Saying extremists have a 'stronghold'. It is absolutely not true. They are vocal because of all the bombs going off but like i said, i have never met one. The only one i saw was probably on an Islamic facebook page but he was promptly banned by the admin. The mainstream scholars from saudi arabia to the west to Nigeria have all condemned attacks on civilians.

I have never heard a speech talking about perpetuating violence or killing in a mosque before. I only hear about the good stuff. Well, at least in the south west . In the north, from discussions with my friends, there isn't much of a sermon in many places. Maybe, there could be some improvement there.

Education is key but it would be a gradual painful process. I say it all the time, if muslims understood the Quran we had and really imbibed it , we will be a different nation. It is such an incredible book.

It is something i hope to be involved in, soon , Insha Allah!.

Islam brought enlightenment to the muslim world, for centuries they were at the top of science, arts and innovation. Knowledge from civilisations were preserved in Arabic books, this was vital for the european renaissance. Islam is not adverse to innovation even though muslim countries have survived a decline over the last 2 centuries, with colonialism and the fall of the Islamic state.

You suggestions are actually very good but it fails to take into consideration Nigeria's peculiar ethnic and political divides. The politicians are the ones with the money, they arm miscreants during elections. They rely on religious sentiments so they fan it. It is a decent start but it is a long way to tackling the problem.

I have gotten hate comments from Christians for no other reason but that i am muslim. The hate sometimes is palpable and usually for no reason at all. Islamic threads on Nairaland are filled with hate. I wonder how you can work with people that hate you so much. The word of hate has come from their tongue, only God knows what is in their hearts, possibly far worse. I have seen posts calling for genocide of muslims.

The only difference between a group like boko haram and some of these people is that boko haram actually does it. Otherwise, they belong in the same category of hate.

That is on the religious front

Every tribe has intense hate for the other. I worked briefly in an organisation with yoruba and Igbos as my colleagues and the kind of back-biting going on, was incredible. I do not belong to any of the major tribes so i was a neutral in all of this.

This is on the ethnic front.

To place the blame solely on Islam is unfair even though i do acknowledge that work needs to be done. On educating people on their faith and lifting the literacy levels in certain parts of the country but most importantly turning the corner on the systemic rot in Nigeria as a whole.

Thanks.. and forgive if i might have rambled a bit.

2 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 29, 2013
Gosh! Where am I? Maclatunji's Island!Lolol. Picks race.

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by vedaxcool(m): 10:44pm On Jan 29, 2013
Bélla3: Very funny. True true i actually laughed. I AGREE I DONT HAVE FAITH.
But that is far from the topic at hand.

Yeah I actually just wanted to point it out to you so that your atheist friend wouldn't tie you up in a tight corner with your claims of testing your faith!
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Bella3(f): 10:52pm On Jan 29, 2013
vedaxcool:

Yeah I actually just wanted to point it out to you so that your atheist friend wouldn't tie you up in a tight corner with your claims of testing your faith!
*sigh*[img]http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/1313178415025.jpg[/img]

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Bella3(f): 10:53pm On Jan 29, 2013
vedaxcool:

*sigh*[img]http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/1313178415025.jpg[/img].
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by MacDaddy01: 11:06pm On Jan 29, 2013
tbaba1234: Like i promised, I would address the topic. Just had to clear out the garbage first. Plus i was watching Nigeria's match. phew!! Those boys will not kill me .. grin grin

The Op has made some decent points. We are all Nigerians and we all essentially want the same things, food, shelter, clothing, peace and security for ourselves and our loved ones. But, I do not know if you are sending your message to the right audience. The vast majority of muslims in Nigeria are peace-loving citizens. I have been a muslim all my life and i have been blessed to meet muslims from across the world, I have never come across one with extreme views or thoughts in Nigeria or elsewhere. Some of the kindest people, i have met in my life have been arab muslims.

The Nigerian problem is multi-faceted. Even though a religious angle does exist, those sentiments are usually fuelled by ethic and political interests, high unemployment rate, cultural heritage and low literacy levels. Non-hausa muslims are also in trouble when a riot breaks out in some parts of the north. Some of my good friends are Northern muslims and they are excellent muslims so this is not in any way an indictment on all Northerners.

As regards, El rufai comments. He will be the first to acknowledge that it goes against the basic Islamic teaching to say things like that against a messenger of God. That is Islam 101. Muslims shouldn't even say things against a pagan god.

Like the Quran says:

“Do not revile those they call on beside God, so they, in their hostility, revile God, without knowledge” [6:108]

This is a direct instruction to muslims not to insult the gods of others so that they do not in their ignorance insult God.

Muslims are very sensitive about insults to our revered, God and his messengers. I personally can't stand seeing a joke making fun of Jesus (A.S.) or Moses (A.S.). That is how sensitive we are, some people do get really emotional about these things and do things that are totally against the religion or Sometimes peaceful protests are hijacked by miscreants.

I will disagree with you on one point, Saying extremists have a 'stronghold'. It is absolutely not true. They are vocal because of all the bombs going off but like i said, i have never met one. The only one i saw was probably on an Islamic facebook page but he was promptly banned by the admin. The mainstream scholars from saudi arabia to the west to Nigeria have all condemned attacks on civilians.

I have never heard a speech talking about perpetuating violence or killing in a mosque before. I only hear about the good stuff. Well, at least in the south west . In the north, from discussions with my friends, there isn't much of a sermon in many places. Maybe, there could be some improvement there.

Education is key but it would be a gradual painful process. I say it all the time, if muslims understood the Quran we had and really imbibed it , we will be a different nation. It is such an incredible book.

It is something i hope to be involved in, soon , Insha Allah!.

Islam brought enlightenment to the muslim world, for centuries they were at the top of science, arts and innovation. Knowledge from civilisations were preserved in Arabic books, this was vital for the european renaissance. Islam is not adverse to innovation even though muslim countries have survived a decline over the last 2 centuries, with colonialism and the fall of the Islamic state.

You suggestions are actually very good but it fails to take into consideration Nigeria's peculiar ethnic and political divides. The politicians are the ones with the money, they arm miscreants during elections. They rely on religious sentiments so they fan it. It is a decent start but it is a long way to tackling the problem.

I have gotten hate comments from Christians for no other reason but that i am muslim. The hate sometimes is palpable and usually for no reason at all. Islamic threads on Nairaland are filled with hate. I wonder how you can work with people that hate you so much. The word of hate has come from their tongue, only God knows what is in their hearts, possibly far worse. I have seen posts calling for genocide of muslims.

The only difference between a group like boko haram and some of these people is that boko haram actually does it. Otherwise, they belong in the same category of hate.

That is on the religious front

Every tribe has intense hate for the other. I worked briefly in an organisation with yoruba and Igbos as my colleagues and the kind of back-biting going on, was incredible. I do not belong to any of the major tribes so i was a neutral in all of this.

This is on the ethnic front.

To place the blame solely on Islam is unfair even though i do acknowledge that work needs to be done. On educating people on their faith and lifting the literacy levels in certain parts of the country but most importantly turning the corner on the systemic rot in Nigeria as a whole.

Thanks.. and forgive if i might have rambled a bit.

Really? One long comment offering nothing new but to praise islam and to shift the burden of responsibility for the riots to culture and politics.

First, you claim that you have never met one extremist muslim. That is a lie. A very big lie. Even I that has never been a muslim have met extremists both in real life and seen clerics espouse extremist rhetoric on youtube. I remember being in school in Nigeria and seeing a mallam wearing a T-shirt with Osama's picture. That image has never left my mind

Second, you then shift the burden to economic, cultural and political factors. These are all minor factors compared to the factor of religion because the reason for the riots were anti-islamic (Muhammad cartoons and Miss World pageant- haraam dressing for women)

Third, you then claim that islam forbids the insult of other gods of other religions. This is a lie as shirk is in itself a forbidden in islam and an insult upon Allah. Also, this is quite irrelevant to the topic.

Fourth, you then claim that extremists dont have a stronghold. I would like to know how Boko Haram crushed the will of the government, forcing the govt to negotiate with them. Or I will like to know where there has been a christian or pagan riot that claimed lives in recent times due to blasphemy. Denial, denial denial.

Fifth, you then claim that you have never heard a cleric/imam espouse extremist views in mosques. Seriously? SERIOUSLY?? A fish has a better chance of denying that water is wet.

sixth, you then rubbish my great suggestions claiming that they dont take into account the cultural/political aspects of it. I am focusing on religion with my solutions!! Furthermore, I mentioned education and employment, did I not.

Lastly, you then divert to complaining about christian hate and also tribalism.

Seriously, I am disappointed. There is no bargaining/negotiating with you people. Your religion is perfect.

2 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by tintingz(m): 11:09pm On Jan 29, 2013
I salute my fello muslims in this thread ya'll gave a good and educative reply like tbaba and vedaxcool smiley

I agree with some of Logicboy post letter tho...and again he didnt say anything about the comedians that use Jesus for their jokes while many christians watching/hearing it will laugh at it grin tongue

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by MacDaddy01: 11:12pm On Jan 29, 2013
tintingz: I salute my fello muslims in this thread ya'll gave a good and educative reply like tbaba and vedaxcool smiley

I agree with some of Logicboy post letter tho...and again he didnt say anything about the comedians that use Jesus for their jokes while many christians watching it will laugh at it grin tongue

Vedaxcool? Seriously?

(Comedians making fun of Jesus actaully butresses my point. Think)

Anyways thanks for dropping in.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Bella3(f): 11:31pm On Jan 29, 2013
tintingz: I salute my fello muslims in this thread ya'll gave a good and educative reply like tbaba and vedaxcool smiley

I agree with some of Logicboy post letter tho...and again he didnt say anything about the comedians that use Jesus for their jokes while many christians watching/hearing it will laugh at it grin tongue

Ha.. Finaly. A 'good' muslim.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Muhammad Poisoned By A Jew, Why Must He Die Poisoned, After All He Is A Beloved / Hilarious Questions And Comments I've Heard As An Hijabite. / Nigerian Pilgrim Dies In Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.