Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,418 members, 7,954,660 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:23 AM

An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) - Islam for Muslims (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) (19851 Views)

Things You Didnt Know About The Kaaba / GEJ's Ramadan Message To Nigerian Muslims / Why You Don't Hear Southern Nigerian Muslims Responses On National Issues. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by ochukoccna: 2:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
@ logicboy,
Great thead you started
Non the less its a waste of time&effort because the fundamentals you addressed in Islam been violent have spiritual and not logical nor humanistic underpinnings
Below is what God says in the bible (a Being& a book you do not subscribe to) about Ishmael whom moslems trace their lineage to. That's why its not just Christians versus them but Jews,Hindus,Bhuddists etc they WILL NEVER co-exist peacefully with
As a yoruba proverb says,the venom of snakes reside in their progeny
As the bible says,his (Ishmael) hand will be against EVERYone&EVERYone's hand WILL be against him
Judge for yourself but there can NEVER BE PEACE with Ishmael's offspring upon planet Earth

NKJV
Gen 16:11 And the Angel of the LORD said to her: "Behold, you are with child, and you shall bear a son. You shall call his name Ishmael, because the LORD has heard your affliction.
Gen 16:12 He shall be a wild man; his hand shall be against every man, and every man's hand against him. and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren."

NIV version
Gen 16:11 The angel of the LORD also said to her: "You are now with child and you will have a son. You shall name him Ishmael, for the LORD has heard of your misery.
Gen 16:12 He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hand will be against everyone and everyone's hand against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers."

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by rasqman: 2:05pm On Jan 30, 2013
adexsimply: sorry.. what country is the original tweeter from? if he is not from nigeria then we dont have a problem with him.. remember dan brown? but for a nigerian who knws the present state of the country (as per religions and ethnicity).. i think the action is unjustifiable..

He is Nigerian, Bukola by name
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by DMainMan: 2:06pm On Jan 30, 2013
Bello ladan: This is not something new to us we the muslims we have had this since! MUSLM ARE NOT TEROREST BUT ALL TERORIST ARE MUSLIM,IS THAT THRUE?....Today the international media especially the western midia says "all muslims are not terorist but all terorest are muslims" But if you go back history, you will find 100% falsehood in this statement. for e.g; in history of the world, who killed the maximum humans? "Adolf Hitler" was he a muslim No!! he was a xtian but media never said xtians were terorist!! who killed 20 million human beings including 14,5 million starved to death? "Joseph satlin called uncle joe"was he a muslim No!! he was xtian, who killed 14 to 20 million human beings? "Mao Tse Tsung"(china) was he a muslim? No!! he was a xtian, in klinga battle who killed 100 thousand human being? "Ashoka" was a muslim No!! he was xtian who killed million of muslims in afganistan and iraq in the last 10yrs? more then helf of million were innocent children!! "Gearge bush and Barack obama" why the world does not called them terorist? also here in nigeria on the last 3yrs back sallah day in jos nigeria million of muslims were massacre by xtians, in recent shorting atack on one primary sch in USA which killed many innocent sch. chidrens, who dose the shorting? was he a muslim No!! he was a xtian e.t.c so many to mentioned but due to time factor i was unable to brought everything on board but with those little things i had mentioned you would be able to noticed that bad eggs are found everywhere in every relions beyound your imagenation why? putting all blames on muslims side only this is unjust against muslims and its very tedious Notice! you ppl should not level all muslims as terorist due to the inhuman act of some minority muslms pls. future respect. "Islam mens peace" dose not teache's violance, islam dose not permit killing of in

nyc 1 dude. Dont mynd dose slowpokes. D latest ranking states Isreal is the king of terrorists. D supporters of terrorism ar worse dan dem (America). U c both of dem dominated wit jews and christians ar d cause of havoc in d world.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by AbuHanifa: 2:07pm On Jan 30, 2013
vedaxcool:

Next time I will put it into consideration that black men don't like to read when addressing issues and we know blacks who don't like to read will like your post 1000 times. Nigeria really need to re awake the reading culture if the country is to have a future indeed!
Gbam! You have said it all. This generation is turning to waste as Soyinka observed.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by DMainMan: 2:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
Bello ladan: This is not something new to us we the muslims we have had this since! MUSLM ARE NOT TEROREST BUT ALL TERORIST ARE MUSLIM,IS THAT THRUE?....Today the international media especially the western midia says "all muslims are not terorist but all terorest are muslims" But if you go back history, you will find 100% falsehood in this statement. for e.g; in history of the world, who killed the maximum humans? "Adolf Hitler" was he a muslim No!! he was a xtian but media never said xtians were terorist!! who killed 20 million human beings including 14,5 million starved to death? "Joseph satlin called uncle joe"was he a muslim No!! he was xtian, who killed 14 to 20 million human beings? "Mao Tse Tsung"(china) was he a muslim? No!! he was a xtian, in klinga battle who killed 100 thousand human being? "Ashoka" was a muslim No!! he was xtian who killed million of muslims in afganistan and iraq in the last 10yrs? more then helf of million were innocent children!! "Gearge bush and Barack obama" why the world does not called them terorist? also here in nigeria on the last 3yrs back sallah day in jos nigeria million of muslims were massacre by xtians, in recent shorting atack on one primary sch in USA which killed many innocent sch. chidrens, who dose the shorting? was he a muslim No!! he was a xtian e.t.c so many to mentioned but due to time factor i was unable to brought everything on board but with those little things i had mentioned you would be able to noticed that bad eggs are found everywhere in every relions beyound your imagenation why? putting all blames on muslims side only this is unjust against muslims and its very tedious Notice! you ppl should not level all muslims as terorist due to the inhuman act of some minority muslms pls. future respect. "Islam mens peace" dose not teache's violance, islam dose not permit killing of in

nyc 1 dude. Dont mynd dose slowpokes. D latest ranking states Isreal is the king of terrorists. D supporters of terrorism ar worse dan dem (America). U c both of dem dominated wit jews and christians ar d cause of havoc in d world.

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by adexsimply(m): 2:11pm On Jan 30, 2013
rasqman:

He is Nigerian, Bukola by name
HUH...*disappointed* then he shuld get most of the blame!!!! although El-Rufai as a public Figure shuldn't ve retweeted....
but that bukola guy f u c k up no be small
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by dederocs(m): 2:13pm On Jan 30, 2013
fellis:
This is false. Muslims are not all mindless zombies.
I had a feeling the thread would be filled with anti-Islamic hate speech immediately I read the OP.
Please mind your words, don't let your hatred for Muslims lead you to uttering false statements.
its only zombies that will destroy their communities because others of same religion in iran/Afghanistan are protesting.shame.

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by DMainMan: 2:13pm On Jan 30, 2013
DMainMan: @logicboy. Aw dare u start by saying Salaam. Y ar u copying us. As an atheist, u ar a loser in lyf and d day of Judgement. Aw cant u blieve in d Supreme Being, ALLAH (GOD). U ar here supportin ur religion (christianity) while disguising u ar an atheist. Is dat aw bad christianity is. U ar nt proud of ur religion. If anyone talk negatively abt atheism u wil fly to christianity and vice versa.

If u dont take tym i wil hack and expose all ur nairaland history wher u use several usernames just to lie against Islam. I pity ur life. U ar beta dan dis na. Who instigated u to change ur gudnes. U should utilise ur brain in promoting serenity

Since u ar stil a boy dere is always tym to change and b a real Man. Wot ar u even doin on nairaland. U should go and read ur buk so dat u can finally pass ur exam and gain admission afta so many trials. Dont waste ur brain and tym here.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by DeepSight(m): 2:14pm On Jan 30, 2013
Logicboy03: Dear muslims,
Salaam,

We are all Nigerians, whether muslim or christian or pagan. We are all one irrespective of tribe or religion. However, I write this letter with anger and disappointment. I am disappointed and angry at the ease at which extremists have found a stronghold within the religion of islam and have used it to cause terror and mayhem to people in the north. This issue of islamic extremism is really dividing Nigeria into different parts faster than tribalism or the greed for oil have ever done to Nigeria. Concurrently, I am going to use the christian response to El Rufai's tweet concerning Jesus to highlight a possible solution to this case of religious extremism. I believe that muslims can learn from our christian brethren's reactions to the tweet.

First of all, we have to establish three facts. The first fact is that I am not a christian or a believer in God, and so, I am not trying to preach a religion or promote christianity in this letter. The second fact is that christianity and many other religions are not totally innocent when it comes to extremism as well. The third fact, which is the most important, is that islamic extremism does not top at Boko Haram; there are islamic youths and clerics who engage in dangerous activities that are destructive to the fabric of our society.

Now, that we have established these facts, we can now dive into the issue at hand; what muslims can learn from the christian handling of the El Rufai tweet. El Rufai made an expensive joke on twitter that had the punchline of Jesus sleeping with Mary Madgalene even though the point of the joke was to ridicule the staunch defenders of the current Nigerian president. There was a christian backlash on twitter and on the internet because of the perceived blasphemy emanating from the tweet. I want to clearly stress it out that there were no violent riots on the streets of Lagos or Port Harcourt in reaction the perceived blasphemy towards the revered figure of Jesus Christ. This is in direct contrast to reactions to anti-islamic messages where riots claimed the lives of innocent people(for example; the riots against the 2002 Miss World beauty pageant in Nigeri and against the Danish cartoons in 2006 that claimed the livesof innocent Nigerians). I will advance the argument that Muslims can learn from this difference in reaction which stems from a reformed view in christianity and other modern religions towards a more humanistic approach in faith.

Muslims should have meetings with their youths and clerics to preach a more peaceful and humanistic version of islam. It should be reiterated 5 times a day from clerics and imams that killing for a religion is wrong and that one should reply words with words not violence. You wouldn't find a christian preacher or pastor in Nigeria condoning the killing of a blasphemer or an unbeliever or calling for violence. Infact, Christian leaders have reacted and called for an apology from El Rufai without threats or violence. The reason for this different approach from Nigerian christian goes beyond the roots of christianity in Nigeria. The reason is a simple reformation in religion towards a more enlightened and less barbaric way of spreading and experiencing faith.

Before christianity was properly spread in Nigeria by the British in the 19th century, there were numerous wars which almost destroyed Europe in the preceding centuries and christianity almost "out-crusaded" itself. There was also a growing age of enlightenment from the 17th century. The experience of the wars and enlightenment forced christianity to take religion a little less fantaically as more humanistic ideals were followed. Principles of personal liberty and fredom of expression were gaining popularity in the 18th century. With time, some progressive ideals became associated with christianity in the 19th century.

The point of the historical trip back to some centuries ago is to advice muslims to understand that faith can only succeed if it becomes progressive. I am not saying that the fundamentals of islam should be changed. I am saying that Nigerian muslims should practice their religion in a more peaceful way with the times . I have mentioned that more work has to be done with youths and cleric to keep promoting non-violent approaches to those who insult islam- either simple worded replies/complaints to the blasphemer/heretic or mediation between both parties. The simple way to do this is for the most popular imams or clerics to be given directives by the leaders in the society or government to preach tolerance to non-muslims and different sects of muslims 5 times a day.

There are other solutions which I want to offer;
-Making and sharing pamphlets to the youth on how to relate to non-muslims peacefully and how to peacefully react to anti-islamic issues.
-Creating activities and jobs at mosques for the youth so that idle ones wont have a chance to be recruited by terrorist/extremist groups
-Spreading the message that non-muslims in the north are still you Nigerian brethren and should be treated with respect.
-Creating television/radio programs to address the issues above in order to reach millions.

I hope my words have given some muslims a reason to think about how their religion is practiced in Nigeria. I choose to believe that there are good muslims who want a change. However, work has to be done to make that change happen. I will end this letter with a quote from Muhammad

"A perfect Muslim is one from whose tongue and hands mankind is safe."

Cheers,
Logicboy

Well done Logicboy! Beautiful and BRILLIANT!!!!!
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by AbuHanifa: 2:19pm On Jan 30, 2013
ochukoccna: @ logicboy,
Great thead you started
Non the less its a waste of time&effort because the fundamentals you addressed in Islam been violent have spiritual and not logical nor humanistic underpinnings
Below is what God says in the bible (a Being& a book you do not subscribe to) about Ishmael whom moslems trace their lineage to. That's why its not just Christians versus them but Jews,Hindus,Bhuddists etc they WILL NEVER co-exist peacefully with
As the bible says,his (Ishmael) hand will be against EVERYone&EVERYone's hand WILL be against him
Judge for yourself but there can NEVER BE PEACE with Ishmael's offspring upon planet Earth

NKJV
Gen 16:11 And the Angel of the LORD said to her: "Behold, you are with child, and you shall bear a son. You shall call his name Ishmael, because the LORD has heard your affliction.
Gen 16:12 He shall be a wild man; his hand shall be against every man, and every man's hand against him. and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren."

NIV version
Gen 16:11 The angel of the LORD also said to her: "You are now with child and you will have a son. You shall name him Ishmael, for the LORD has heard of your misery.
Gen 16:12 He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hand will be against everyone and everyone's hand against him, and he will live in hostility toward all his brothers."
Where is Lagosshia when you need him most. I will assist with some of his posts:

eviticus 26:29
You will eat the flesh of your
sons and the flesh of your
daughters.
Deuteronomy 28:53
Because of the suffering that your
enemy will inflict on you during
the siege, you will eat the fruit
of the womb, the flesh of the sons
and daughters the LORD your God
has given you.
Deuteronomy 28:56-57
The most gentle and sensitive
woman among you?so sensitive and
gentle that she would not venture
to touch the ground with the sole
of her foot?will begrudge the
husband she loves and her own son
or daughter the afterbirth from
her womb and the children she
bears. For she intends to eat them
secretly during the siege and in
the distress that your enemy will
inflict on you in your cities.
2 Kings 6:29
So we cooked my son and ate him.
The next day I said to her, 'Give
up your son so we may eat him,'
but she had hidden him."
Jeremiah 19:9
I will make them eat the flesh of
their sons and daughters, and they
will eat one another's flesh
during the stress of the siege
imposed on them by the enemies who
seek their lives.'
Lamentations 2:20
"Look, O LORD, and consider: Whom
have you ever treated like this?
Should women eat their offspring,
the children they have cared for?
Should priest and prophet be
killed in the sanctuary of the
Lord?
Lamentations 4:10
With their own hands compassionate
women have cooked their own
children, who became their food
when my people were destroyed.
Ezekiel 5:10
Therefore in your midst fathers
will eat their children, and
children will eat their fathers. I
will inflict punishment on you and
will scatter all your survivors to
the winds.
and ofcourse we know that up to
this day Christians themselves
still practice symbolic
cannibalism by eating Jesus'
body (communion) and driniking
his blood!!!
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by snakova(m): 2:22pm On Jan 30, 2013
superior1:

Any mature Christian understand perfectly what Christ was saying there and you can not be more than what you dont know. Cast out devils, step on serpent and take anything deadly are saying the same thing i.e Devil= Serpent (remember Eden) = Poison(Serpent). Christ is emphasizing the believers Authority and his dominion over Evil in that verse, those are the Hallmark of a committed born again Christians.
continue being brain washed. why would Jesus (AS) be repeating the same thing three times in one statement? actually, the editors of the bible acknowledge that this was a later addition to 'God's book'. that's why the Quran came to prevent all this editings (additions and subtractions), and to confirm what is known to be true. You have to aggree with me that a book that is edited cannot be the same as the original, abi? http://errancy.org/poison.html. God is perfect, He wont allow His FINAL message to mankind to become corrupted.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Afexlove: 2:59pm On Jan 30, 2013
adexsimply: sorry.. what country is the original tweeter from? if he is not from nigeria then we dont have a problem with him.. remember dan brown? but for a nigerian who knws the present state of the country (as per religions and ethnicity).. i think the action is unjustifiable..
He is a Nigerian.. He has deleted his twiteer acct.. He post that stupid thing in respond to maku/ekwesili money fraud saga.. Buh rufai so stupid to re tweet such nonsense...
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by adexsimply(m): 3:03pm On Jan 30, 2013
Afexlove:
He is a Nigerian.. He has deleted his twiteer acct.. He post that stupid thing in respond to maku/ekwesili money fraud saga.. Buh rufai so stupid to re tweet such nonsense...
ok
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by superior1: 3:09pm On Jan 30, 2013
snakova:
continue being brain washed. why would Jesus (AS) be repeating the same thing three times in one statement? actually, the editors of the bible acknowledge that this was a later addition to 'God's book'. that's why the Quran came to prevent all this editings (additions and subtractions), and to confirm what is known to be true. You have to aggree with me that a book that is edited cannot be the same as the original, abi? http://errancy.org/poison.html. God is perfect, He wont allow His FINAL message to mankind to become corrupted.

It's not bad being brain washed, it depends on what your brain is washed with and if you are looking for quran versus bible argument, then you need to park well, u never reach bus-stop. I know what I know that I know QED.

2 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by goodmike7: 3:18pm On Jan 30, 2013
ochukoccna: @ logicboy,
Great thead you started

NKJV

NIV version
h

Here lies the answer to their extremist tendercies
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by hubreality(m): 3:50pm On Jan 30, 2013
Religion is man made evil and simply worst than clamoured corruption in Nigeria.
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by ashson: 4:14pm On Jan 30, 2013
mazaje:
your selfish trash goes here...

SHARRAPP!! MUNAFIKI, U DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT QURAN OR ISLAM! MUNAFIKI BAMAGUJE KAWAI!!!!
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by tiarabubu: 4:22pm On Jan 30, 2013
Bello ladan: This is not something new to us we the muslims we have had this since! MUSLM ARE NOT TEROREST BUT ALL TERORIST ARE MUSLIM,IS THAT THRUE?....Today the international media especially the western midia says "all muslims are not terorist but all terorest are muslims" But if you go back history, you will find 100% falsehood in this statement. for e.g; in history of the world, who killed the maximum humans? "Adolf Hitler" was he a muslim No!! he was a xtian but media never said xtians were terorist!! who killed 20 million human beings including 14,5 million starved to death? "Joseph satlin called uncle joe"was he a muslim No!! he was xtian, who killed 14 to 20 million human beings? "Mao Tse Tsung"(china) was he a muslim? No!! he was a xtian, in klinga battle who killed 100 thousand human being? "Ashoka" was a muslim No!! he was xtian who killed million of muslims in afganistan and iraq in the last 10yrs? more then helf of million were innocent children!! "George bush and Barack obama" why the world does not called them terorist? also here in nigeria on the last 3yrs back sallah day in jos nigeria million of muslims were massacre by xtians, in recent shorting atack on one primary sch in USA which killed many innocent sch. chidrens, who dose the shorting? was he a muslim No!! he was a xtian e.t.c so many to mentioned but due to time factor i was unable to brought everything on board but with those little things i had mentioned you would be able to noticed that bad eggs are found everywhere in every relions beyound your imagenation why? putting all blames on muslims side only this is unjust against muslims and its very tedious Notice! you ppl should not level all muslims as terorist due to the inhuman act of some minority muslms pls. future respect. "Islam mens peace" dose not teache's violance, islam dose not permit killing of in

You must't tell outright untruths to get your points across. It diminishes you and your argument. There is a reason why a search engine like Google was made. Next time USE IT.

"Mao Tse Tsung"(china) was he a muslim? No!! he was a xtian,

Mao was Bhuddist and later in life his ideology didn't support religious beliefs. Do your research.

"Joseph satlin called uncle joe"was he a muslim No!! he was xtian,

Raised in the Georgian Orthodox faith, Stalin became an atheist. His Continuous persecution of Christians in the 1930s resulted in its near-extinction of the Church as a public institution many churches were demolished and tens of thousands of priests, monks and nuns were persecuted and killed. Over 100,000 Christians were shot during the purges of 1937ā€“1938.

Do your research

"Adolf Hitler" was he a muslim No!! he was a xtian

Raised as a Christian and identified with Christian faith, Adolf would ditch religion in later life as he continually sort to twist religion to fit his hatred for Jews and desire for world domination. Incidentally, Adolf felt Christianity was too feeble a religion and admired the violent nature of Islam.

Do your research

"Ashoka" was a muslim No!! he was xtian

Ashoka Maurya the Indian emperor of the Maurya Dynasty was never a Christian. He embraced Buddhism after witnessing the mass deaths of the Kalinga War, which he himself had waged out of a desire for conquest. Ashoka converted gradually to Buddhism beginning about 263 BCE. Do your research!

"George bush and Barack obama" why the world does not called them terorist?

Maybe if Osama Bin Laden (a terrorist) hadn't murdered sleep, the drones wouldn't be flying today

nigeria on the last 3yrs back sallah day in jos nigeria million of muslims were massacre by xtians

Too bad the reactions of those fellows were babaric no doubt. Maybe they had enough of the murders of Christians from 1983 - Yola, Maiduguri, Potiskum, Biu, Kaduna (more than 4 times), jos, Bauchi, Kano (more than 4 times), Kafanchan, Gombe, Jalingo, Damaturu, Yobe etc to the present day.

Make your own lists

Next time please don't lie to put forward an argument. We are talking about killings in God's name/for God/because of God. Or else we would be listing the Bashar Al Asad or Sadam Hussein/Ayatollah Khomenei as fighting wars because of Islam.

We are not children here tongue

9 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by bonna4u(m): 4:43pm On Jan 30, 2013
tiarabubu:

You must't tell outright untruths to get your points across. It diminishes you and your argument. There is a reason why a search engine like Google was made. Next time USE IT.

Mao was Bhuddist and later in life his ideology didn't support religious beliefs. Do your research.

Raised in the Georgian Orthodox faith, Stalin became an atheist. His Continuous persecution of Christians in the 1930s resulted in its near-extinction of the Church as a public institution many churches were demolished and tens of thousands of priests, monks and nuns were persecuted and killed. Over 100,000 Christians were shot during the purges of 1937ā€“1938.

Do your research

Raised as a Christian and identified with Christian faith, Adolf would ditch religion in later life as he continually sort to twist religion to fit his hatred for Jews and desire for world domination. Incidentally, Adolf felt Christianity was too feeble a religion and admired the violent nature of Islam.

Do your research

Ashoka Maurya the Indian emperor of the Maurya Dynasty was never a Christian. He embraced Buddhism after witnessing the mass deaths of the Kalinga War, which he himself had waged out of a desire for conquest. Ashoka converted gradually to Buddhism beginning about 263 BCE. Do your research!

Maybe if Osama Bin Laden (a terrorist) hadn't murdered sleep, the drones wouldn't be flying today

Too bad the reactions of those fellows were babaric no doubt. Maybe they had enough of the murders of Christians from 1983 - Yola, Maiduguri, Potiskum, Biu, Kaduna (more than 4 times), jos, Bauchi, Kano (more than 4 times), Kafanchan, Gombe, Jalingo, Damaturu, Yobe etc to the present day.

Make your own lists

Next time please don't lie to put forward an argument. We are talking about killings in God's name/for God/because of God. Or else we would be listing the Bashar Al Asad or Sadam Hussein/Ayatollah Khomenei as fighting wars because of Islam.

We are not children here tongue

Well said!
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by tiarabubu: 4:47pm On Jan 30, 2013
El Rufai forgot that as a public figure what he says carries more weight than an ordinary bloke on the street.

He was foolish to have retweeted and the added LWKMD was to worsen the matter. You don't retweet what you don't agree with!

If madam Patience Jonathan was an ordinary woman teaching in one school in okrika, or even a Perm Sec in Bayelsa and not the First Lady, she would never get the lashing for her choice of words as she is undergoing now. So also prominent figures like El Rufai who is eying the presidency and is a major opposition figure.

He should have known better. Was he not in this country when Isioma Daniel of Thisday wrote her alleged blasphemous piece during the Miss World and no amount of begging by Thisday editors to Sultan of Sokoto and the then NSA could stem the carnage and the deaths of innocent lives and damage to property that was to follow.

I know many Muslims are embarrassed and wouldn't want to show it. Its ok. i just hope that privately, they and their fellow Ummah take the steps to shine light and reason into the lives of these lost fellows

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by ebucha: 4:47pm On Jan 30, 2013
was Hitla killing in the name of God? Terrorist chant allah is great before killing. The majority of those killed by Hitler. are Jews that muslims wish they could extinct. Sorry, you only wrote trash
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by anti9JA: 4:56pm On Jan 30, 2013
To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam.

Can whoever wrote that please define offensive, And why is banning the only threat on Nairaland? And it is not offensive or insulting to denigrate African belief system as being idolatory, fetish, heathen etc.

El-Rufai is a Fulani Jihadist, click here to read
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by mazaje(m): 5:12pm On Jan 30, 2013
ashson:

SHARRAPP!! MUNAFIKI, U DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT QURAN OR ISLAM! MUNAFIKI BAMAGUJE KAWAI!!!!

UWAR KA CHE MUNAFUKA. . .UBANKA NE BAMAGUJE. . .SHEGE DAN ALADE KAWAI!!!!

1 Like

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by Hadesewa: 5:18pm On Jan 30, 2013
[quote author=DMainMan][/quote] SMH vigurously.U really want to be noticed
Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by vicope: 5:20pm On Jan 30, 2013
vedaxcool: Oh dear mazaje, ever so ready not to use his small grey matter in getting to the truth, let me expose you and your lying memri tv, which if you had any respect for the truth u would have atleast wondered how truthful the material you putting forward actually is, like I said earlier greedy northerners like you who hide "your" wealth abroad rather than use it to aid your fellow tribes men in getting a better life, something you should have atleast learn from your white overlords, who attimes think of you as zwerte piete but still use their wealth in making the less privilage ones in their society have something to look out for, I reiterate that riots in the north is the hand work of street urchins who use it as a pretext to loot people property that is why even muslims from other part of the country pay dearly during such riots, the op is plainly garbage and nothing more than the pontification of an individual who tries to give something he dearly lacks and hardly understand

Accusations of bias
Brian Whitaker, the Middle East editor
for The Guardian newspaper wrote in a
public email debate with Carmon, that
his problem with MEMRI was that it
"poses as a research institute when it's
basically a propaganda operation." [6]
Earlier, Whitaker had charged that
MEMRI's role was to "further the political
agenda of Israel." and that MEMRI's
website does not mention Carmon's
employment for Israeli intelligence, or
Meyrav Wurmser's political stance, which
he described as an "extreme brand of
Zionism." [4] Carmon responded to this
by stating that his employment history is
not a secret and was not political, as he
served under opposing administrations
of the Israeli government and that
perhaps the issue was that he was
Israeli: "If your complaint is that I am
Israeli, then please say so." Carmon also
questioned Whitaker's own biases,
wondering if Whitaker's is biased in favor
of Arabs -as his website on the middle
east is named "Al-Bab" ("The Gateway"
in Arabic)- stating: "I wonder how you
would judge an editor whose website
was called "Ha-Sha-ar" ("The Gateway"
in Hebrew)?[6]
Selectivity
Several critics have accused MEMRI of
selectivity. They state that MEMRI
consistently picks for translation and
dissemination the most extreme views,
which portray the Arab and Muslim world
in a negative light, while ignoring
moderate views that are often found in
the same media outlets.[4][30][30][31]
[32]Juan Cole, a professor of Modern
Middle East History at the University of
Michigan, argues MEMRI has a tendency
to "cleverly cherry-pick the vast Arabic
press, which serves 300 million people,
for the most extreme and objectionable
articles and editorials...On more than
one occasion I have seen, say, a bigoted
Arabic article translated by MEMRI and
when I went to the source on the web,
found that it was on the same op-ed
page with other, moderate articles
arguing for tolerance. These latter were
not translated."[33] Former head of the
CIA's counterintelligence unit, Vincent
Cannistraro, said that MEMRI "are
selective and act as propagandists for
their political point of view, which is the
extreme-right of Likud. They simply
don't present the whole picture."[34]
[35]Laila Lalami, writing in The Nation,
states that MEMRI "consistently picks the
most violent, hateful rubbish it can find,
translates it and distributes it in e-mail
newsletters to media and members of
Congress in Washington".[30] As a
result, critics such as Ken Livingstone
state, MEMRI's analyses are "distortion".
[36][37] A report by Center for American
Progress, titled "Fear, Inc. The Roots of
the Islamophobia Network in America"
lists MEMRI as promoting Islamophobic
propaganda in the USA through
supplying selective translations that are
relied upon by several organisations "to
make the case that Islam is inherently
violent and promotes extremism."[38]
MEMRI argues that they are quoting the
government-controlled press and not
obscure or extremist publications, a fact
their critics acknowledge, according to
Marc Perelman."When we quote Al-
Ahram in Egypt, it is as if we were
quoting The New York Times. We know
there are people questioning our work,
probably those who have difficulties
seeing the truth. But no one can show
anything wrong about our
translations."[34]
Alleged translation inaccuracy
See also: Tomorrow's Pioneers#
Translation controversy
The accuracy of MEMRI's translations are
considered "usually accurate" though
occasionally disputed and highly
selective in what it chooses to translate
and in which context it puts things,[39]
as in the case of MEMRI's translation of a
2004 Osama bin Laden video, which
MEMRI defended.[6][37][40][41][42]
Norman Finkelstein, in an interview with
the newspaper In Focus compared
MEMRI to the "propaganda techniques"
of the Nazis.[43]
Following the 7 July 2005 London
bombings, Al Jazeera invited Hani al-
Sebai, an Islamist living in Britain, to take
part in a discussion on the event. For
one segment of the discussion in regard
to the victims, MEMRI provided the
following translation of al-Sebai's words:
the term civilians does not exist in
Islamic religious law. Dr Karmi is sitting
here, and I am sitting here, and Iā€™m
familiar with religious law. There is no
such term as civilians in the modern
western sense. People are either at
war or not.[44]
Al-Sebai subsequently claimed that
MEMRI had mistranslated his interview,
and that among other errors, he had
actually said:
there is no term in Islamic
jurisprudence called civilians. Dr Karmi
is here sitting with us, and he's very
familiar with the jurisprudence. There
are fighters and non-fighters. Islam is
against the killing of innocents. The
innocent man cannot be killed
according to Islam.
By leaving out the condemnation of the
"killing of innocents" entirely,
Mohammed El Oifi writing in Le Monde
diplomatique argued that this translation
left the implication that civilians (the
innocent) are considered a legitimate
target.[36] Several British newspapers
subsequently used MEMRI's translation
to run headlines such as "Islamic radical
has praised the suicide bomb attacks on
the capital"[45] prompting al-Sebai to
demand an apology and take legal
action. In his view, MEMRI's translation
was also "an incitement to have me
arrested by the British authorities."[46]
Story, Story, Stooorrryyyy! Why not address the issues raised from the koran? It is not already stating the obvious. I schooled in Maiduguri and I can tell that what I experienced was beyond street urchins, we have educated muslims who will kill non-muslims at any instance. Muslim students will kill at any provocation, are those one street urchins too. If you complain that the North is poor, are they not receiving budgetary allocation from oil revenue that they do not even contribute to the nation? Is the fault of the christians that one man will marry five wives who will give birth to eight children each? When I saw what the citizens of Niger Delta go through in the creeks, their poverty is worse than that in the north. At least in the north, they plant without fear of oil spillages and pollution. They have massive land for agriculture unlike the creeks in the south-south. The war in mali, yemen, egypt, libya, afghanistan are also caused by street urchins I guess. Mr man, I was once a muslim who converted, I know so much about the Koran and the Bible too. It is only in the Koran you will see a verse telling muslims to slash the necks of infidels. Any muslim who doesn't support violence is not a true muslim (and this is one reason why the northern muslims despise the southern muslims who have choosen to live and cohabit with christians). The problem the southern muslims have is that civilization, education and exposure has affected their way of life, they know the truth about the Koran but they always avoid it for the sake of peace.
Islam is the problem of this world. Quote me!

2 Likes

Re: An Atheist's Letter To Nigerian Muslims (El Rufai's Tweet Didnt Result In Riots) by jmoore(m): 5:20pm On Jan 30, 2013
@logicboy you need to come up with a new version of koran if you are serious with your letter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Muhammad Poisoned By A Jew, Why Must He Die Poisoned, After All He Is A Beloved / Hilarious Questions And Comments I've Heard As An Hijabite. / Nigerian Pilgrim Dies In Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.