Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,144 members, 7,818,433 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:39 PM

Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. (31646 Views)

FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola / INEC Officials Arrested For Mass Thumb Printing In Imo State / Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 3:23pm On Feb 03, 2013
Takara: I dont know much about cable cars, but I think investing in water transportaion may be the panacea to the transportation problem of lagos given the peculiarity of the terrain

It's inter-modal transport (I have to confess, I first started dreaming about this in 1987 when Babangida launched the Integrated Mass Transit Programme).

Eko Water Buses ltd (for water transportation).

BRT & LASMI cabs (for road transport)

LRT/Eko Rail (by the way, for the person that asked about Ikeja Along, it will be covered by LRT) for rail transport.

Park and ride (bicycles for within neighbourhood commute and commute to BRT bus stops).

Now the Cable Car (for, hopefully, commute within business districts)

Then there are other services.

Helicopter: OAS and Caverton Helicopter companies

Regional rail: provided by NRC.

The great thing is that there's a lot of private sector funding going into these projects.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by baby124: 3:24pm On Feb 03, 2013
This doesn't make too much sense for an over populated area. Let us stick with trains, fast and smaller ones for thise routes. Express trains with 4 train cars or so. Let us not overdo abeg.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Eazeee(m): 3:24pm On Feb 03, 2013
haba nigerian leaders! dia is no doubt dat dis is a gud idea but d question is wat happens 2 the railway project which is d dream of every serious con3 nd also d best way of depopulating d city centres n d best means of transportation 4 a developing con3 like nigeria. y not focus on d rail 4 now? i know d railway proj wil b dump 4 dis white elephant project dat wil eventually b dump by d subsequent administration. i know dat some how some way som group of people are d ones dat will benefit 4rom d award of dis contract. wat a con3

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 3:30pm On Feb 03, 2013
great...that is why it pays to have an intellectual visionary to lead
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 3:30pm On Feb 03, 2013
In case of power outage, it would be better to hang in the air where you sure will enjoy freshair and an aerial view of Lagos until power is restored and the skyride continues, than be crushed on the road in a car/okada accident that will earn you broken limbs and bruised face if you are ever so lucky. If the cable car project in Obudu ranch was an experimental thing and it has sofar not reported any fall or failures, the story cannot be diierent in Lagos. Let the cable ride go on jare.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Originalsly: 3:31pm On Feb 03, 2013
denzel2009:

They provide parachute for safe landing.
Lol..this your answer to what if the cable car get stuck in mid air is killing me!.. Would the CC be running that high ?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by laivwire(m): 3:33pm On Feb 03, 2013
Negro_Ntns: nooooooo, noooooo!!! angry

this is bad idea! this is like laying tracks for trams, except instead of on surface we are suspending it in the sky. this is bad idea. how do you combine fast tracks planned for the metro rails with outdated drags?

let us expand development hinterland into yoruba townships instead of wasting money in one spot to construct multi layers of redundant projects.

Eko Ile please share with the Governor to convert this money and erect a parallel fast track to compete with nigerian railway corporation. we need to depopulate lagos. people can live in oyo and commute daily to lagos to work. it is possible for people in osun to commute back and forth daily to lagos. it is called speed train or bullet train. sky cable cars will only incite the remaining millions left in villages to troop into lagos and be part of the skyriding crowd.

bad bad bad policy on this one......scrap it!
I agree with you, especially in developed countries where the train tranports ppl safely and on time thus reducing congestion; but shldnt this be a federal project. #just saying
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by OmerianConsult: 3:38pm On Feb 03, 2013
May PDP never win Lagos because with their culture of negligence of public infrastructure, several deaths is bound to arise from this innovation.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by DonEwexco(m): 3:43pm On Feb 03, 2013
Its too risky to be hanging around on air, I'm just imaging how it will be "when armrubber cut-off the wire and found u inside? Ur name will be sorry, trust Naija....lol
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by mollie12: 3:47pm On Feb 03, 2013
seanet01: Fashola is Working!
Lagos is moving forward!!
ACN is Steering South West toward Socio-Economic Advancement!!!
PDP, Ibos and Haters are crying!!!!

Chai, that your last statement was so uncalled for. Yes, ACN is doing well, but remember they are also human beings too, men that are very fallible too. And there is NO need to get tribalistic about it.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Originalsly: 4:13pm On Feb 03, 2013
abysirius:
Obviously u be olodo rabata! When gr8 minds are seeing opportunities u are seein cost as a shortcoming.

Have u ever thought of the employment opportunities that will be created? Or

Have u ever thought of this as a way of de-congesting our roads thereby solving problem of bottle-necks on the highway?

Have ever thought of it that this means has it's own dedicated route meaning that there won't be a problem dealing with time especially when it is a matter of urgency? Intermodalism as a principle in transport mgt brings about efficiency and that's exactly what our this administration is trying to achieve.
Great minds are seeing what opportunities?... to fleece the people? According to your logic...why not go for helicopters instead? It is an insult to tell the residents that cable cars would be provided for mass transit.Sorry...but my mind is not as great as yours to see The Emperor's New Clothes.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by obi123: 4:15pm On Feb 03, 2013
while it is good to dream in colour ,sometimes its good to take baby steps, cable cars are not suitable for mass transportation, trains are better and go faster .Fashola has a big vision for Lagos but there is such a thing as dreaming too big .

got this from the TFL website

Seating capacity per train 280
Standing capacity per train 547
Train capacity - six cars 827

can you imagine 827 at once and even more on the northern line , it could go up to 900 , that's a whole lot of passengers,and you can add carriages depending on the route , usage and time of day , so its flexible ,trains are needed desperately in Lag and it will make a whole lot of difference if they get it right

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 4:32pm On Feb 03, 2013
“Some people insist that 'mediocre' is better than 'best.'
They delight in clipping wings because they themselves can't fly.
They despise brains because they have none.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

A critic is a man created to praise greater men than himself, but he is never able to find them.”
― Richard Le Gallienne

When we make a mockery of another's efforts, it is often because we lack the courage to make such efforts.”
― Brandon A. Trean

5 Likes

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by uzeba(m): 4:39pm On Feb 03, 2013
I pray wey the thing no fall one day!! I know naija na!!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 4:54pm On Feb 03, 2013
So we have monorail project in port harcourt
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 5:09pm On Feb 03, 2013
Luckily for us in Lagos, bad bele, distractions and ignorant wahala doesn't bother or deter us from doing what we set our minds to. They tried so hard to kill our metro rail dream decades ago even after losing almost $100 million, but we didn't give up and today, it's almost a reality. Lagosians will commute on metro rail this year.

You can not stop the wheel of progress..

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by babyboy3(m): 6:04pm On Feb 03, 2013
I dont think they have thought this through properly

Its a very expensive project and very expensive to run and maintain and does not worth it
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by kabaka1: 6:08pm On Feb 03, 2013
Yomieluv: Are u kidding,is this kind of amusement park stuff?

Lol!!! Same thing wee I de think 2. I don't understand de logic and advantages of using this mode of transportation 4 a highly populated city like Lagos shocked grin
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Feb 03, 2013
Eko Ile: Luckily for us in Lagos, bad bele, distractions and ignorant wahala doesn't bother or deter us from doing what we set our minds to. They tried so hard to kill our metro rail dream decades ago even after losing almost $100 million, but we didn't give up and today, it's almost a reality. Lagosians will commute on metro rail this year.

You can not stop the wheel of progress..

[size=18pt]It must really suck to receive one's daily bread by being on a website licking butt and chanting like a robot while your thinking faculty is padlocked somewhere in a cupboard in Alausa.
Go back and claim your brain bro before rats mistake it for a bowl of amala and ewedu
Shame don catch me for you
Tufiakwa for this kain human being[/size]

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by badesco(m): 6:21pm On Feb 03, 2013
Is lagos ripe for a cable cars? Answer is No.... Instead of cable cars it should have consider putting the rail services in shape or go to mass manufacturing of keke maruwa.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by badesco(m): 6:55pm On Feb 03, 2013
Negro_Ntns: nooooooo, noooooo!!! angry

this is bad idea! this is like laying tracks for trams, except instead of on surface we are suspending it in the sky. this is bad idea. how do you combine fast tracks planned for the metro rails with outdated drags?

let us expand development hinterland into yoruba townships instead of wasting money in one spot to construct multi layers of redundant projects.

Eko Ile please share with the Governor to convert this money and erect a parallel fast track to compete with nigerian railway corporation. we need to depopulate lagos. people can live in oyo and commute daily to lagos to work. it is possible for people in osun to commute back and forth daily to lagos. it is called speed train or bullet train. sky cable cars will only incite the remaining millions left in villages to troop into lagos and be part of the skyriding crowd.

bad bad bad policy on this one......scrap it!

The project will end up being a waste of lagos state resources. an efforts in futility/
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Ezegozie(m): 7:01pm On Feb 03, 2013
hahahah. Canlt stop laughing. you wan make Naija person enter that bus for electric wire. what of if the rope come cut and Dangote trainer dey below you?. i shall be the last person to enter there
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by manny4life(m): 7:22pm On Feb 03, 2013
Waste of money and resource... smh

What difference is this from the PH and Enugu monorail?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by vicholas(m): 7:27pm On Feb 03, 2013
I hope fashola won't destroy or demolish houses again?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by CohenJane: 7:28pm On Feb 03, 2013
babyosisi:

Yes and it is free
It is for a 2 mile radius of coverage
And a facelift for their slums for upcoming Olympics

In Nigeria these things if they ever take off will eventually fall off the skies and kill folks in it and below it because there is no maintenance culture
People will be stuck and suspended in the air

Bad bad idea for Nigeria

What happened to the rail system?
Speed rail

Has that ever happened in Brazil that you quoted initially?

Why not give this a chance too? Or do you think the project manager wouldn't be working on the concerns you raised?

If it can work in Brazil, it will work in Lagos.

winkWell, it may not work in Nigeria grin
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Civory(m): 7:31pm On Feb 03, 2013
vicholas: I hope fashola won't destroy or demolish houses again?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by CohenJane: 7:31pm On Feb 03, 2013
ehie: “Some people insist that 'mediocre' is better than 'best.'
They delight in clipping wings because they themselves can't fly.
They despise brains because they have none.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

A critic is a man created to praise greater men than himself, but he is never able to find them.”
― Richard Le Gallienne

When we make a mockery of another's efforts, it is often because we lack the courage to make such efforts.”
― Brandon A. Trean

You are right bro. Thumbs up for you.

Some folks in ma family have been making life hell for me just because I want to pursue my dream by being self employed ... my fiance too is not helping matters. But I will follow my dream, no matter what.

today's empire were yesterday's idea and dream

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by manny4life(m): 7:33pm On Feb 03, 2013
CohenJane:

Has that ever happened in Brazil that you quoted initially?

Why not give this a chance too? Or do you think the project manager wouldn't be working on the concerns you raised?

If it can work in Brazil, it will work in Lagos.

winkWell, it may not work in Nigeria grin

This idea should be killed - simple logic, it can't sustain Lagos passenger capacity. Lagos isn't rich, in fact it borrows for capital expenditure and this right here is not worth borrowing. Using Brazil as an example of two miles coverage, a train will carry 100x much people in an hr when compared to this. This idea just like the PRT network that has been pitched yet failed to see any financial sense.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Exponental(m): 7:40pm On Feb 03, 2013
In a country with bad maintenance culture, high budget poor product, electricity failure and the likes. Not until I'm very convinced about change of system, I would rather walk.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by sweetgala(m): 7:42pm On Feb 03, 2013
I don't know why but I fancy this Fashola guy for the presidency role under any political party. He seems to have a principle of building solid foundations on which to develop commerce.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by hollypagan: 7:42pm On Feb 03, 2013
this is a joke
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Afam4eva(m): 7:49pm On Feb 03, 2013
pro01: It's only a matter of time before the cable cars are hijacked by 'one chance' bandits. Would be interesting to see hapless Lagosians thrown out mid air (without parachutes) after being robbed.
LMAO cheesy cheesy cheesy In Naija anything is possible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Buhari, Ajimobi, Akiolu Make Last-minute Moves To Save Ambode. / Acting CJN Swears In 250 Members Of General Election Tribunals / Failure To Register For NIN Attracts 14 Years Imprisonment - Pantami

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.