Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,141 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. (31645 Views)

FG To Introduce Toll On Some Reconstructed Roads – Fashola / INEC Officials Arrested For Mass Thumb Printing In Imo State / Subsidy Removal:GEJ Ready For Mass Revolt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 7:49pm On Feb 03, 2013
babyosisi: [size=18pt]]Somebody quote me in 20 years,this will remain at the "to" level
It will never take off
It will never work
It will be a colossal waste
Na wetin dem go use power am?
It is the most stupid idea ever proposed
Who uses cable cars for commuter transport?
Someone went to a ski resort and came back with a fancy idea for a city of 20 million?
Whoever brought this up in the house for discussion needs to be shot[/size]

[size=18pt]
Fashola give the people constant light and water
Do those two and you would have done well,stop all the cheap propaganda,e don do [/size]
Yes yes yes....but fashola can't give you light, sorry.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by sweetgala(m): 7:49pm On Feb 03, 2013
It's not a bad idea but I have reservations which are

. Cable cars are ideal for access to highland areas ,such as the hilly barrios of Brazil or the mountains of a nature reserve.

.Alternatives that can really prove better for Lagos would be to introduce a city wide network of surface metro cars.

.Design and designation of cycle paths in city hub areas to encourage cycling and to have city bicycles as in Amsterdam,London, Dublin etc.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by j4jj: 7:51pm On Feb 03, 2013
Is there opportunity 4 hire purchase! Cos I want to buy 1
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by sweetgala(m): 7:52pm On Feb 03, 2013
Okon ikott: In case of power outage, it would be better to hang in the air where you sure will enjoy freshair and an aerial view of Lagos until power is restored and the skyride continues, than be crushed on the road in a car/okada accident that will earn you broken limbs and bruised face if you are ever so lucky. If the cable car project in Obudu ranch was an experimental thing and it has sofar not reported any fall or failures, the story cannot be diierent in Lagos. Let the cable ride go on jare.

Obudu does not have 20 moillion citizens. These cable cars need to be able to handle over 3million people daily.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by moveszz(m): 7:54pm On Feb 03, 2013
JomoGbomo2: Great idea, however if this will be powered by electricity I will "personnally" prefer to drive.......maybe until we get this electricity thingy right.
like(y)
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by LADIbaba(m): 7:58pm On Feb 03, 2013
karl max: So lagos state now owns ropeway transport limited? Una dey very funny sha!lwkmd

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetard, Lagos State doesn't own Ropeway Transport Ltd, instead, LSG signed a 30-year Franchise Agreement with Ropeways Transport Limited and the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) recently.

You should find your comprehension and reading ability improving; on your return to Primary 2 or 3 in a Montessori School
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Ebestsmscom: 8:01pm On Feb 03, 2013
Aaaah which kind of development is this.

Let them use this money and build railway like that of Japan wey dey speed like jet.

I no like am gbam.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 8:06pm On Feb 03, 2013
Bad idea for everyday use considering Nigeria maintenance culture. Fashola has truily lost direction with his copy-cat approach to development. Those things are ideal for tourist resort not mass transportation.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by andyanders: 8:20pm On Feb 03, 2013
With which light will they be using, PHCN? Well expect people to be electrocuted or area boys will cut the cable.
Though its nice idea but it will be compromised.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by Nobody: 8:30pm On Feb 03, 2013
CohenJane:

You are right bro. Thumbs up for you.

Some folks in ma family have been making life hell for me just because I want to pursue my dream by being self employed ... my fiance too is not helping matters. But I will follow my dream, no matter what.

today's empire were yesterday's idea and dream
do not live a life u'll end up regretting
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 8:30pm On Feb 03, 2013
Josh090:
Yes yes yes....but fashola can't give you light, sorry.

We call them illiterates for a reason..
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by OCHULORC(m): 8:36pm On Feb 03, 2013
Eko ile.....we pity your family for a reason

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 8:37pm On Feb 03, 2013
sweet_gala:

Obudu does not have 20 moillion citizens. These cable cars need to be able to handle over 3million people daily.

This is obviously not designed to handle 3 million people or whatever bogus number of people you made up, there are other modes of transportation like the metro rail, ferry service, BRT and Lagbus under construction and provision to handle the big load, this is a component of the whole transportation system designed to compliment the other modes.

This is pretty much common sense.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 8:42pm On Feb 03, 2013
OCHULORC: Eko ile.....we pity your family for a reason

I don't pity you, I don't pity your miserable family and the rest of the hopeless villagers in your backward village so why worry about my family.

Everybody dey talk, this dumb ode village goat too dey join mouth. Wonders shall never end...
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by talktimi(m): 8:45pm On Feb 03, 2013
aribisala0: S tupid idea!. Not necessary,too expensive and unlikely to have any impact on Lagos's population. There are too many instances of people using Okada when they should be walking. Even in the most advanced Places with buses and underground systems you still have to walk.
I believe Okada is okay for personal use but not commercial.
Any person that wants Okada should learn how to ride one and buy one and there should be no ban on personal usage.

Did I hear you say that will be abused? It is not difficult to police. When caught seize the bike and fine the Customer and do not allow anyone to hang around waiting for fares to pick up. Alternatively there are many single passenger motorbikes and those should be exempt from the ban or just make it illegal for more than one person to ride on a motorbike.
Upon the many times you've insulted me on nairaland, I can't help but agree with you on this instance which is what I've been advocating since the ban on okada plying certain routes kicked off. The most annoying part for me is the arrest of our uniformed personel for plying the restricted routes but you sort of hit the nail on the proper part of the head by saying private single passenger bikes should be exempt from this ban.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by OCHULORC(m): 8:50pm On Feb 03, 2013
grin grin grin fool.na your mama I pity pass.you dom embarass am tire. grin.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 8:52pm On Feb 03, 2013
talktimi: Upon the many times you've insulted me on nairaland, I can't help but agree with you on this instance which is what I've been advocating since the ban on okada plying certain routes kicked off. The most annoying part for me is the arrest of our uniformed personel for plying the restricted routes but you sort of hit the nail on the proper part of the head by saying private single passenger bikes should be exempt from this ban.

Private single passenger bikes are exempt from the ban.

Exemptions:

1) Above 200cc

2) Single passenger (with a carrier in place of the second seat).
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by purplekayc(m): 8:55pm On Feb 03, 2013
Will believe wen I cee it .

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by sweetgala(m): 8:56pm On Feb 03, 2013
Eko Ile:

This is obviously not designed to handle 3 million people or whatever bogus number of people you made up, there are other modes of transportation like the metro rail, ferry service, BRT and Lagbus under construction and provision to handle the big load, this is a component of the whole transportation system designed to compliment the other modes.

This is pretty much common sense.

I'm giving you an engineering perspective ,and that rather otherwise bogus number was born of that opinion. You would need to over engineer such a facility, Lagos is a still developing hub and as such the requirements of a permanent public structure need be robust for future demands.
You also have the issue of flash overpopulation of areas due to events which might put a heavy burden on the system. A temporary need to double the number of cars on the line can arise.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 8:59pm On Feb 03, 2013
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by redsun(m): 9:18pm On Feb 03, 2013
It long time coming.All the necessary avenues need to be utilized,and it is cheap,envirnmentally friendly and easy to run.

It could even be powered by super rechargeble batteries,since we dont have control over electricity.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by HezronLorraine(m): 9:36pm On Feb 03, 2013
This is a welcoming development with a clause.the population of lagos is around 18million thereabout.mid-air cable transportation is risky for a fully commercial and industrial state like Lagos.moreover the dangers associated with these tnz.d power dy use sends vibrations around and having these cable cars on d island where there are high-rise buildings and ever energetic atlantic oceans.dy can trigger electric surges which can start to send shock waves.dn d result,quakes and collapsation or constant shaking.d money dt would go into ds could go into d development of more rails,inter-state train,subway metro,underwater subways.e.t.c.beauty isn't what we need now.its productivity.lasg should put on d rite shoes.

1 Like

Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by HezronLorraine(m): 9:54pm On Feb 03, 2013
This is a welcoming development with a clause.the population of lagos is around 18million thereabout.mid-air cable transportation is risky for a fully commercial and industrial state like Lagos.moreover the dangers associated with these tnz.d power dy use sends vibrations around and having these cable cars on d island where there are high-rise buildings and ever energetic atlantic ocean.dy can trigger electric surges which can start to send shock waves.dn d result,quakes and collapsation or constant shaking of the buildings and structures gradually.d money dt would go into ds could go into d development of more rails,inter-state train,subway metro,underwater subways.e.t.c.beauty isn't what we need now.its productivity.lasg should put on d rite shoes.make available more brt 4 d expresses,taxi's to replace danfo's at cheaper price,tricycles for communal transport,more ferries,rapid fast trake trains e.t.c should be d govt's priority.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by dapsonlou(m): 9:59pm On Feb 03, 2013
na lagos state government mama go enter this one, god forbid, they will chop all the maintenance money, people will just be falling from the sky like bird poo
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by rhymesteey(f): 10:00pm On Feb 03, 2013
Cable car ke? I think I prefer the railways stuff! Is smh
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by doppler777(m): 10:06pm On Feb 03, 2013
scorpidmo: cable cars are used in brazilian fervelas which are more densely populated than any place in Lagos, so why can't it work here.
just because Lagos state government is investing in cable cars doesn't mean she can't also invest in bullet trains cos there's nothing like over development
Gbam!!!!!!Wagbayi...people needs to at least Google/reseach cable car operations,yes it is expensive but its going to 1,reduce air-pollution
2,Reduce congestion
3,The system requires low maintanence
4,Wont bother other means of transportation like bullet train,buses
5,Programmable operations
6;Requires high powererd Gen. to back energy supply
Cable transpotation connects NYC with Roosevelt Island over Hudson river
Please let the Governor perform his duty.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by baron2000(m): 10:10pm On Feb 03, 2013
Negro_Ntns: nooooooo, noooooo!!! angry

this is bad idea! this is like laying tracks for trams, except instead of on surface we are suspending it in the sky. this is bad idea. how do you combine fast tracks planned for the metro rails with outdated drags?

let us expand development hinterland into yoruba townships instead of wasting money in one spot to construct multi layers of redundant projects.

Eko Ile please share with the Governor to convert this money and erect a parallel fast track to compete wit
h nigerian railway corporation. we need to depopulate lagos. people can live in oyo and commute daily to lagos to work. it is possible for people in osun to commute back and forth daily to lagos. it is called speed train or bullet train. sky cable cars will only incite the remaining millions left in villages to troop into lagos and be part of the skyriding crowd.

bad bad bad policy on this one......scrap it!

Mumu, multiple means of transport is the modern way to go. We are too terrestrial in this country. Go to small Japan. The are always on bridges, cable carts or in planes. Even the rail system is not terrestrial. Please be open minded. Embrace new ideas.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by EkoIle1: 10:11pm On Feb 03, 2013
sweet_gala:

I'm giving you an engineering perspective ,and that rather otherwise bogus number was born of that opinion. You would need to over engineer such a facility, Lagos is a still developing hub and as such the requirements of a permanent public structure need be robust for future demands.
You also have the issue of flash overpopulation of areas due to events which might put a heavy burden on the system. A temporary need to double the number of cars on the line can arise.

This has nothing to do with engineering perspective, this is about looking at and activating all available possibilities whcih they obviously are doing, the only means they are yet to dabble into is subway for obvious reasons.

I see what you are saying, bit what I'm saying is, this is not the only mode of transportation available and on the table, this is part of the whole transportation system. This is obviously designed to compliment and add to all the other forms of transportation the state is working on and it's part of looking into the future.

Building a metro rail system to handle hundreds of thousands passengers is part of looking forward and not relying on what's available today, building ferry terminals and ordering 50 ferry boats with 200 passenger capacity each to move another hundreds of thousands a day is part of looking forward, this cable car system in addition is also part of looking forward.

It is quiet obvious that this administration is making transportation moves in every direction and looking at all possibilities. I'm even sure this wont be the last thing they look at or actualize in terms of transportation.

I just don't see you concern or worries since the government is actively activating all possibilities from rail to roads, water and air...
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 10:13pm On Feb 03, 2013
[size=14pt]Lagos to get cable car mass transit system by 2015[/size]

Sunday, 03 February 2013 00:00 Editor Business Services - Business News

FOR the first time in the history of Nigeria, a cable car company, Ropeways Transport Limited, is set to launch a cable car mass urban transit system in the nation’s commercial capital, Lagos.

This followed the signing of a 30-year franchise agreement between Ropeways Transport Limited, the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) and the Lagos State government recently.

Under the terms of the agreement, Ropeways Transport will this November begin the construction of towers, stations and connecting network cables along various routes covered in the first phase of the project, namely, Ijora – Iddo, Iddo – Adeniji; Apapa – Oluwole, Oluwole – Adeniji, Adeniji – Obalende, Obalende – Falomo, and Falomo – Victoria Island. The project is expected to be fully completed and commissioned by early 2015.

Speaking on this development the Chief Executive Officer of Ropeways Transport Limited, Capt. Dapo Olumide expressed his belief that the Lagos cable car transit system would provide an alternative means of mass transportation in the city and it will help ease the current transportation hassles in Lagos and help restore dignity to commuting because the current situation hampers economic development within the city and negatively impacts the quality of life of it’s residents.

“By complementing existing transport modes, the Lagos cable car transit System will play its part in reducing the traffic congestion in the city,” he said.

According to him, studies show that Lagos will become the world’s 3rd largest city with 25million inhabitants by 2015, with approximately 12 million daily passenger movements and trips in the Lagos Metropolitan Area, set to increase at a rate of six per cent per annum.

“The existing metropolitan highway infrastructure is severely constrained, with journeys to and from work within the city regularly exceeding three hours.

“In addition, studies carried out in 2009 on vehicle registration shows that an additional 200,000 vehicles are registered annually in Lagos State. This equates to 222 vehicles per kilometer of road in Lagos, which by far, outweighs the national average of just 11vehicles per kilometer of road, with vehicles estimated to contribute more than 70 per cent of the ambient air pollution in Lagos,” he said.

These problems, he said, can be effectively eliminated with this new technology.

“Presently, there is need to ameliorate the existing congestion on the three bridges connecting Lagos Mainland to Lagos Island and to provide a link between Apapa and the Central Business District on Lagos Island, and also to link Victoria Island with the Central Business District of Lagos Island. These are what we hope to achieve with the launch of the cable transit system,” Olumide said.

On the safety of the cable car system, the Ropeways CEO described it as one of the safest means of transport worldwide.A 2009 study by the Vancouver Metropolitan Transport Agency in Canada determined that passengers are 20,000 times more likely to be involved in a fatal accident in a vehicle than in a cable car.

According to him, when completed, the Lagos Cable Car Transit system will incorporate several standard safety features, including auxiliary drives and hydraulic brakes to prevent passengers being stranded, lightening protection on towers, ropes and stations, as well as, solar panels on each cabin roof to provide power for cabin interior and exterior lighting. There will also be passenger monitoring with CCTV and audio communication links and passenger address systems.

The project will be powered by several sources namely, IPP’s, dual-fired primary power turbines and dual-fired back up power turbines with sufficient numbers of static inverters to provide 30 minutes of backup power.

The project uses Doppelmayr’s proprietary technology. Founded in 1892, Doppelmayr is a Swiss/Austrian specialist company that manufactures chairlifts, cable cars, gondolas, surface tows for ski and amusement parks as well as urban transport systems.

Doppelmayr cable car technology has successfully been used in locations like Merida, Venezuela, Roosevelt Island, New York, U.S.A, Caracas, Venezuela, Medellin, Columbia, Portland, Oregon, U.S.A and Tlemcen, Algeria.

Others are Constantine, Algeria, Koblenz, Germany, Ngong Ping, Hong Kong, Sentosa Island, Singapore and Sky Rail, Australia.

The company is also presently executing similar projects in Bosporus, Turkey, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, La Paz, Bolivia and recently in London, England.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112359:lagos-to-get-cable-car-mass-transit-system-by-2015&catid=31:business&Itemid=562
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by naptu2: 10:20pm On Feb 03, 2013
SPECIFIC PROCUREMENT NOTICE

Invitation for Prequalification

Nigeria
Lagos Cable Car Transit (LCCT) Project
Development of a cable car ropeway solution to the commuter congestion in Lagos, Nigeria
comprising of three lines using Tri-cable detachable grip technology. The civil works consist
of piling works, construction of tower bases (14 No), and concrete towers (3 No. 150 to 180 m
high) erection of steel towers (11 No), construction of stations (10 No) and associated
infrastructure for the stations

1. Ropeways Transport Limited (RTL) has applied for a loan from the African Development
Bank (AfDB), hereinafter referred to as the AfDB, in various currencies towards the cost of the
Lagos Cable Car Transit Project which comprises of the construction of three cable propelled
transit lines in Lagos, Nigeria and intends to apply a portion of the proceeds of this loan to
eligible payments under the contract for which this Invitation for Prequalification is issued.

2. Doppelmayr Cable Car GmbH is RTL’s technology partner. Roughton International has been
appointed as RTL’s project manager. RTL intends to prequalify Design and Build contractors for
the following civil and construction works under this project:

 The three transit lines are from Ijora to Addo to Adeniji Adele; Apapa to Oluwole to
Adeniji
Adele and from Adeniji Adele to Obalende to Falomo to Ozumba with stations at each of
the
locations;
 Substructure works - piling and tower bases and foundations for the stations;
 Super structure works – construction of three concrete towers (150 – 180 m high),
erection of
11 no steel towers;
 Detailed design and construction of ten stations;
 Detailed design and installation of M&E works;
 and all associated infrastructure works.

http://www.afdb.org/fileadmin/uploads/afdb/Documents/Project-related-Procurement/Nigeria%20-%20Lagos%20Cable%20Car%20Transit%20(LCCT)%20Project%20-%20SPN.pdf
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by omiobo: 10:21pm On Feb 03, 2013
Bliss4Lyfe: Bad idea for everyday use considering Nigeria maintenance culture. Fashola has truily lost direction with his copy-cat approach to development. Those things are ideal for tourist resort not mass transportation.

Madam!! Read the article again. Don't read the posters' comments to comment. You've just been misled.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. by thelastPope(m): 10:23pm On Feb 03, 2013
ehie: “Some people insist that 'mediocre' is better than 'best.'
They delight in clipping wings because they themselves can't fly.
They despise brains because they have none.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

A critic is a man created to praise greater men than himself, but he is never able to find them.”
― Richard Le Gallienne

When we make a mockery of another's efforts, it is often because we lack the courage to make such efforts.”
― Brandon A. Trean

This isn't about criticism. This is about reality and critical analysis. The article said it is a solution to mass transportation. If it has said LASG is tryin to create a tourism project, the response from some of us would have been different. Someone said it is an addition to other forms of transportation. That would have been ok if the other forms of transportation are on the ground and are adequate. In reality, even the BRT cannot be termed a success because it is grossly inadequate. It doesn't even cater for a significant fraction of Lagos transportation needs. People have to wait for hours sometimes at TBS to get a bus. Buses don't even work on weekends on some terminals. These things are way way inadequate. The LASG would do well to improve on the basics first before talking about grandious projects. Cable cars are not designed for mass transportation. That is the simple fact!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Obasanjo, Jonathan And Dickson Worship Together In Church In Otueke (Photos) / Buhari, Ajimobi, Akiolu Make Last-minute Moves To Save Ambode. / Acting CJN Swears In 250 Members Of General Election Tribunals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.