Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN (44627 Views)

Nigeria's Igbo Jews: 'lost Tribe' Of Israel - CNN / Breaking! Igbo Jews To Organize Rally In Support Of Israel War In Gaza / The Problem Of Igbo Jews And History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Rossikk(m): 8:52pm On Feb 07, 2013
Kei144:

As for issue of color of skin, the original Jews were not white, but exactly like Arabs.

You DON'T know that.

The original Jews could very well have been blacks, just like the original Egyptians, the original Canaanites, the original Edomites etc etc.

This is why we say that modern Africans are seriously MIS-EDUCATED.

Many of you do not even know that your ethnic groups have thousand year histories of migration from the Nile Valley/Levant to inner Africa, following foreign invasions and desertification of the once fertile Sahara. You have no clue of the fact that your ancestors built huge monuments and temples throughout Northern Africa and the middle east in ancient times.

Of course, your traditional village griots know the history very well and will tell you if asked. But you ignore them and chase after western whitewashed fairytales. Pathetic.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Eziachi: 8:56pm On Feb 07, 2013
I am no Jewish nor Hebrew, I am God created Igbo man found only in the that spot of West coast of African only unless in diaspora.
Why I would wanted to be called a Jew or an Israeli for gracious sake?
I am comfortable in my very skin and proud as an Igbo man.
Yes there are so many familiar Jewish and Igbo cultures, but that doesn't make me a jewish or desperate to become one. After all mankind came from one source, so there bound to be similarities here and there.

1 Like

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Abagworo(m): 8:59pm On Feb 07, 2013
bigfrancis21:
Abagworo, I'm highly disappointed in your statement. Today you post an intelligent statement on the Igbo people tomorrow you talk nonsense. Omubo whatever isn't Igbo culture. What we have is the Omugwo culture. Please, young man, the Igbo culture of today is distinct. Ah, is this fact going to be a subject of debate when it is obviously clear? It may share a little common characteristics with other neighbouring tribes yet the Igbo culture, by and large, remains different from others. If the Igbo culture is so pervasive and the same among all the tribes in Nigeria then why aren't historians and Israel using the term, 'Nigerian Jews'/'Nigerian culture' specifically in place of 'Igbo jews'? Some people need to learn to reason with their heads.

So Omubo and Omugwo or Ohakwe and Orakwe are not the same. You are not aware because you've not interacted with other groups.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Rossikk(m): 9:00pm On Feb 07, 2013
Eziachi: I am no Jewish nor Hebrew, I am God created Igbo man found only in the that spot of West coast of African only unless in diaspora.
Why I would wanted to be called a Jew or an Israeli for gracious sake?
I am comfortable in my very skin and proud as an Igbo man.
Yes there are so many familiar Jewish and Igbo cultures, but that doesn't make me a jewish or desperate to become one. After all mankind came from one source, so there bound to be similarities here and there.

THAT IS IGNORANT.. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HISTORY, RESEARCH, ANTHROPOLOGY, ARCHAEOLGY ETC, SAY SO.

''all mankind came from one source, so there bound to be similarities here and there'' is an ILLITERATE summation borne of IGNORANCE of the subject-matter. Where cultural congruences between two groups are found which surpass the average congruence among groups, then you have established a connection that cannot be dismissed the way you did.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by alanmwene: 9:01pm On Feb 07, 2013
Andre Uweh:
The Igbo history is so vast and but let me tell you just a little about 1967--70.
During this dark period of her history, she had her own republic where they manufactured indigenous amunitions that killed their enemies more than the imported ones.
The built indigenous bridges that stands taste of time till date.
They went into agriculture on a very large scale that sustained the nation for 2 years w before the area was lost to the enemies.
Despite being at war, law and order was maintained.
Had indigenous textile factories that manufactured shoes, hats and wears for the entire nation.
Had refineries that produced petrol from local resources.
Had a good maintenance department that ensured that buildings, cars, roads etc were maintained. They were all maintained and serviced during the short lived republic.
In sports, some of the best known African sportsmen were of Igbo origin during the period in discussion. For example, Power mike, a famous wrestler,D.K Tiger, famous boxer, Emma Ifeajuna-commonwealth games gold medalists etc.
Some of the the brightest intellectuals in Africa during the period were also of Igbo origin. For example, Chinua Achebe, Onuora Nzekwu, John Munonye, Emeka Ike, Michael Crowder, Christopher Okigbo, Chike Obi, Flora Nwapa, Cyprian Ekwensi, Prof Uzoigwe, Afigbo, Njoku, Dike, Louis Mbanefo., Gordian Ezekwe etc.
Some of Africa's best graduates from Sandhurst and other military accademies were of Igbo origin. E.g Col Okwechime, Col Madiebo, Col Njoku, Col Okoro, Major Akanya, Wing Commander Ezeilo, Col Amadi, Navy Commander Anukwu, Col Onwuatuegwu etc. Check out their results.
Mind you, I have only discussed a period of 3 years. WHAT WOULD YOU LEARN IF I EXTEND IT TO 30 YEARS?.
I was thinking of something like songhai,mali,kongo,great zimbabwe!Dyu see what I mean?
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by blackbeau1(f): 9:05pm On Feb 07, 2013
Seriously,we are tired of this s**t.Igbos are always claiming to be one thing or the other.what I don't understand is,what difference it makes to their lifes financially,physically ,spiritually or otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Rossikk(m): 9:07pm On Feb 07, 2013
black_beau: Seriously,we are tired of this s**t.Igbos are always claiming to be one thing or the other.what I don't understand is,what difference it makes to their lifes financially,physically ,spiritually or otherwise.

Go back to the kitchen where you obviously belong.

2 Likes

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Rossikk(m): 9:09pm On Feb 07, 2013
I wish there was an IQ test for people seeking to participate in this debate.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Nobody: 9:12pm On Feb 07, 2013
Rossikk:

You DON'T know that.

The original Jews could very well have been blacks, just like the original Egyptians, the original Canaanites, the original Edomites etc etc.

This is why we say that modern Africans are seriously MIS-EDUCATED.

Many of you do not even know that your ethnic groups have thousand year histories of migration from the Nile Valley/Levant to inner Africa, following foreign invasions and desertification of the once fertile Sahara. You have no clue of the fact that your ancestors built huge monuments and temples throughout Northern Africa and the middle east in ancient times.

Of course, your traditional village griots know the history very well and will tell you if asked. But you ignore them and chase after western whitewashed fairytales. Ludicrous.

As you were told. Blahblahblah...!
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Rossikk(m): 9:14pm On Feb 07, 2013
^^^ No. AS I STUDIED and RESEARCHED, UNLIKE YOU.

When last did you pick up an African history book? Same question goes to others here on your pathetic level of ignorance.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by AndreUweh(m): 9:14pm On Feb 07, 2013
alanmwene:
I was thinking of something like songhai,mali,kongo,great zimbabwe!Dyu see what I mean?
The Igbo had a kingdom which existed even before some of the empires you mentioned . It is called Nri Kingdom founded aroud 900AD.
They were also involved in architecture as they built pyramids and great walls. Visit Nsugbe in Igboland and see for yourself.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Rossikk(m): 9:18pm On Feb 07, 2013
Andre Uweh:
The Igbo had a kingdom which existed even before some of the empires you mentioned . It is called Nri Kingdom founded aroud 900AD.
They were also involved in architecture as they built pyramids and great walls. Visit Nsugbe in Igboland and see for yourself.

Well said Andre. Did you notice the Nsude pyramids bear a resemblance to the Step Pyramid in Saqqara Egypt?
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Rossikk(m): 9:18pm On Feb 07, 2013
Andre Uweh:

Well said Andre. Did you notice the Nsude pyramids bear a resemblance to the Step Pyramid in Saqqara Egypt?
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Abagworo(m): 9:22pm On Feb 07, 2013
Andre Uweh:

Its Nsude and not Nsugbe..
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by alanmwene: 9:22pm On Feb 07, 2013
phreakabit:

[size=18pt]Things your brazilian hair wig wearing CONGO rebel brothers will never. . . . BTW, I just schooled you on how to spell your very own country's name. . . Kongo my azz, bloody Yoruba Kongis! angry[/size]
You dont have to be abusive to make a point!Actually "congo" is not correct!The right spelling is kongo coz kongo has very very deep and serious meaning!

http://www.kongozen.org/
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/ijn/bb/fjm-700-kongo/kongo-review.html
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Nobody: 9:23pm On Feb 07, 2013
Rossikk: ^^^ No. AS I STUDIED and RESEARCHED, UNLIKE YOU.

When last did you pick up an African history book? Same question goes to others here on your pathetic level of ignorance.
Where are your sources to support your research work? Please, stop dwelling in those eluding Pan-Africanism and sweet tales.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Abagworo(m): 9:23pm On Feb 07, 2013
Rossikk:

This goes to prove another influence which is Egyptian and not Jewish.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by AndreUweh(m): 9:23pm On Feb 07, 2013
Rossikk:

Well said Andre. Did you notice the Nsude pyramids bear a resemblance to the Step Pyrramid in Saqqara Egypt?
Thanks my dear. The problem with most people here is that they are not well read. Imagine, one chap asking what Igbo achieved in their history. When I narrated to him what we achieved within 3 years of our nation, then he changed tactics.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by AndreUweh(m): 9:24pm On Feb 07, 2013
Abagworo:

Its Nsude and not Nsugbe..
Thanks.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by alanmwene: 9:24pm On Feb 07, 2013
Andre Uweh:
It seems lost in the pages of history!Local champions?
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by bigfrancis21: 9:25pm On Feb 07, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Well said. The ancient people of Nsukka also built pyramids. I once came across the pictures one day as I was crawling the internet.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by AndreUweh(m): 9:27pm On Feb 07, 2013
alanmwene:
Your history knowledge is shallow if you have not heard or read about Nri.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Abagworo(m): 9:28pm On Feb 07, 2013
alanmwene:

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Abagworo(m): 9:30pm On Feb 07, 2013
Igbos suffered from a lot of cultural cleansing in the hands of colonial masters including desecration of deities and outlaw of tradition. Igbos also had a from of writing like the hieroglyphics. IMHO they all point more to Egypt than Israel.

1 Like

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Nobody: 9:31pm On Feb 07, 2013
Abagworo:

This goes to prove another influence which is Egyptian and not Jewish.
Lol... grin grin grin
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by bigfrancis21: 9:32pm On Feb 07, 2013
Andre Uweh:
Thanks my dear. The problem with most people here is that they are not well read. Imagine, one chap asking what Igbo achieved in their history. When I narrated to him what we achieved within 3 years of our nation, then he changed tactics.
My dear, just ignore the man. There are many of them here on NL. I encounter them everytime. And these people only spread cooked-up lies against the Igbo to further support their bias.
The Igbo people are great. The language is great and rich also. Despite being spoken mainly in one country in Africa the language ranks among the 10 most influential languages in Africa. By influential I mean multi-national languages such as Hausa and Swahili. If the 'kongo' people and language cannot beat this record for starters I then wonder what then they have to compare with the Igbo.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by alanmwene: 9:34pm On Feb 07, 2013
[quote author=Abagworo][/quote]
Yeah!I can see the nri kingdom!How big was it?
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Abagworo(m): 9:36pm On Feb 07, 2013
http://www.taneter.org/writing.html

Nsbidi (5000 BC - present)

An example of Nsibidi characters.

Nsibidi is an ancient script used to communicate in various languages in West Central Africa. Most notably used by the Uguakima and Ejagham (Ekoi) people of Nigeria and Cameroon, Nsibidi is also used by the nearby Ebe, Efik, Ibibio, Igbo, and Uyanga people. The script is believed to date back to 5000 BC, but the oldest archaeological evidence ever found dates it to 2000 BC (monoliths in Ikom, Nigeria). Similar to the Kemetic Medu Neter, Nsibidi is a system of standardized pictographs. In fact, both Nsibidi and Medu Neter share several of the exact same characters.

4 Likes

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Nobody: 9:36pm On Feb 07, 2013
Abagworo: Igbos suffered from a lot of cultural cleansing in the hands of colonial masters including desecration of deities and outlaw of tradition. Igbos also had a from of writing like the hieroglyphics. IMHO they all point more to Egypt than Israel.
It could be they had contact with early Egyptians. It could be they were influenced by traders from neighboring African countries which had some contact with East of Africa. We can all be called Jews if tracing back history to first hominid(Adam and Eve) is the right thing to do.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Nobody: 9:41pm On Feb 07, 2013
Edited.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Nobody: 9:41pm On Feb 07, 2013
Abagworo: http://www.taneter.org/writing.html

Nsbidi (5000 BC - present)

An example of Nsibidi characters.

Nsibidi is an ancient script used to communicate in various languages in West Central Africa. Most notably used by the Uguakima and Ejagham (Ekoi) people of Nigeria and Cameroon, Nsibidi is also used by the nearby Ebe, Efik, Ibibio, Igbo, and Uyanga people. The script is believed to date back to 5000 BC, but the oldest archaeological evidence ever found dates it to 2000 BC (monoliths in Ikom, Nigeria). Similar to the Kemetic Medu Neter, Nsibidi is a system of standardized pictographs. In fact, both Nsibidi and Medu Neter share several of the exact same characters.

Hahaha... Finding root and identity is very interesting and usually full of errors. I like those scribbles. How old is the Igbo scripting?
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 07, 2013
When are the igbos going to have a consensus on this matter ?

It's seem very implausible but then what do I know?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Bayelsa Residents Break Into Warehouse, Steal 2022 Flood Palliatives / President Buhari And Oyegun's Handshake At APC NEC Meeting (Photos) / DSS Files Terrorism Charges Against Emefiele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.