Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,383 members, 7,815,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN (44623 Views)

Nigeria's Igbo Jews: 'lost Tribe' Of Israel - CNN / Breaking! Igbo Jews To Organize Rally In Support Of Israel War In Gaza / The Problem Of Igbo Jews And History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by bokohalal(m): 4:58pm On Feb 07, 2013
pazienza:

That's interesting.

Interesting indeed. Binis do not have an Abrahamic reason for doing it. Something lost in the fog of Bini origin.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by FXKing2012(m): 5:24pm On Feb 07, 2013
baysol: Delusive people no be them say they are Lagosians with 90% population. These peps yeye die, They a the epitome of the symbol that represents corruption. The Ijebus that have some links don't even Flaunt it. Much less the cockroach tribe of Nigeria that no one want to associate with for their crime, 419, yahoo yahoo,drugs name it. Mchieeew.
I'm not sure u deserve to be alive.

1 Like

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Rossikk(m): 5:28pm On Feb 07, 2013
phreakabit: [size=18pt]NO! NO! NO! NO!

We are Igbo's we aren't Jews. I don't know where this crap came from.

This ''crap'' came from a wide variety of sources including oral traditions that long predate colonial contact. Go and learn a thing or two before blabbing.

It won't add anything to us for crying out loud.

More patented ignorance. Knowledge has no price. Not everything in life is about material benefit.

We are Igbos and should be proud of who we are. You can't claim to be the son of any man if he believes you aren't. [/size]

Actually you greatly misunderstand the connection. The Igbos are not necessarily claiming to be ''the sons'' of Jews in Israel. In fact the evidence suggests the Igbos are more like their 'FATHERS'. The Jews of modern Israel likely are actually less Jews than the Igbos themselves, with the majority of them Kazar Russians by ancestry as opposed to having any real roots in the region. If the Jews' own bible states that the king of the Jews was a black man, (hair like wool and feet like burnished brass = black man) what's so strange about Igbo/Hebrew ancestral connections? It is YOU who refuses to study history and take history seriously. Let those who have an interest and the intelligence to examine their roots and origins do so.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by otumfour(m): 5:38pm On Feb 07, 2013
Rossikk:

Some of you are just stup.id. Does the Jewish researcher and other Jewish researchers down the years who saw cultural similarities between Igbos and Israeli Jews also suffering ''inferiority complex''? It is YOU is who is ignorant of African history which is replete with incidents of migration of peoples spanning thousands of years. So why should we not make efforts to trace our migratory paths? It is YOU who needs to stop being ignorant, and open yourself up to new knowledge.

hey! toirret mouf, u dey.....
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by truelovecom: 5:56pm On Feb 07, 2013
kheart: Hehehehe so ibos re new breeds of jews afterall, but d diff is dat d real Jews use deir sense in tech while ibo jews use theirs for criminality. Smh

An Igbo man built the fastest computer in the world, so stop talking rubbish
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Kei144(m): 6:00pm On Feb 07, 2013
The Jewishness of Igbos has nothing to do with Nigeria's emotional tribalism. When I entered secondary school at the age of 13 and we began to study the book of Genesis in our Bible Knowledge subject, I had this inner feeling that the book of Genesis sounded like practices in my village. When I grew up I came to hear about Igbo Jewish connection. My initial worry was how Israelites could turn into the idol worshippers that Igbos were before Christianity came. However, the worry disappeared when I realized that it was idol worship that made God to sack Israelites from the Promised Land. Over the years I have investigated thoroughly the issue of Igbo Jewishness and I have been able to discover possible truths. A lot of what people say about Igbo Jewishness are not true. For example, the story of Igbos descending from Eri the son of Gad is not true. If you want to see the origin of Jewish Africans, read chapters 41 to 44 of the book of Jeremiah. The way the remnant Jews rejected the counsel of Jeremiah and stubbornly went down to Egypt is very much the way Igbos of today behave. God clearly told those remnant Jews that very few of them would be able to go back to the land of Israel; the rest died in Africa (after having children). The Jews in Igboland are a mixture of all the tribes of Israel, especially Judah and Benjamin.

The big question though is, are all Igbos Jews? The late Kenneth Dike (former VC of University of Ibadan) and two other researchers investigated the origin of Igbos and concluded that Igbos came from three sources: some came from Benin empire, some came from Congo river basin (hence the relationship with Efiks and Ibibio), while some were Jews that came to present day Igboland. According to Dike and his colleagues, the Jews are the Aros, the Ekwulobias, the Aguleris, etc. As I discussed this matter with a colleague where I work, he told me about one gifted Yoruba lady that is married to an Igbo, who operates a prophetic ministry at Abuja. The woman (Mommy Deborah) said that Igbos are not Jews, but that Judah came to Igbo.

Christian prophets from various continents of the world have been pointing at Nigeria as where the great end time revival that will prepare the Church for the return of Jesus Christ will begin. In a Christian conference in Port Harcourt in December 1993, white evangelists proclaimed, "Nigeria, the whole world is waiting for you". In December 1995, also in a Port Harcourt conference, they described a vision of the map of Africa like a gun in the hand of God. Nigeria is the trigger of that gun, with South Africa as the barrel (the horn of Africa is the view finder). If you position the map of Africa as described, so that South Africa becomes the barrel (nozzle) of the gun, you will see that your trigger finger will press on the South east coast of Nigeria. That is why white evangelists began to hold Christian conferences in Port Harcourt (SE coast) in the 90s. Jewish Nigerians are the ones who will start the great end time revival. The revival will begin in Anambra State, most likely in 2013. When the great move of God begins, the whole world will know that there are first class Jews in Igboland (of a higher class than so-called white Jews). God has chosen Jewish Igbos above all other Jews in the world to start the great end time revival.

As for issue of color of skin, the original Jews were not white, but exactly like Arabs. The Jews took on the skin color of the various people they were dispersed to due to intermarriage, weather and dietary factors.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Panzastrip(m): 6:02pm On Feb 07, 2013
Yes they are. Lots of people don't even know that that is why they are writing rubbish here.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by phreakabit(m): 6:07pm On Feb 07, 2013
[s]
Rossikk:

This ''crap'' came from a wide variety of sources including oral traditions that long predate colonial contact. Go and learn a thing or two before blabbing.

More patented ignorance. Knowledge has no price. Not everything in life is about material benefit.

Actually you greatly misunderstand the connection. The Igbos are not necessarily claiming to be ''the sons'' of Jews in Israel. In fact the evidence suggests the Igbos are more like their 'FATHERS'. The Jews of modern Israel likely are actually less Jews than the Igbos themselves, with the majority of them Kazar Russians by ancestry as opposed to having any real roots in the region. If the Jews' own bible states that the king of the Jews was a black man, (hair like wool and feet like burnished brass = black man) what's so strange about Igbo/Hebrew ancestral connections? It is YOU who refuses to study history and take history seriously. Let those who have an interest and the intelligence to examine their roots and origins do so.

[/s]

We are not Jews period.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Kei144(m): 6:10pm On Feb 07, 2013
phreakabit: [s][/s]

We are not Jews period.

Not all Igbos are jews, but some are.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by bigfrancis21: 6:33pm On Feb 07, 2013
bokohalal: There is no Igbo custom mentioned as evidence of Jewish heritage that is not practiced by neighbouring groups. The others do not claim to be Jews.
This is untrue. By and large, the Igbo traditions are different and distinct from the Hausa/Bini/Yoruba traditions. In fact, in many ways the Igbo do not share similar traditions with other major tribes group in Nigeria. Starting from naming, marriage, dressing, child birth visitation (omugwo) practices and what have you. The only people with similar traditions with the Igbo are the Ibibio/Efik groups who, after being observed of their Igbo-like traditions, were called 'qua ibo'/'kwa ibo' by the Whites, which means 'like the ibo'. 'Qua' is an English word. Pick up a dictionary and check. Kwa ibo later got to form the name of the current Ibibio state, 'Akwa ibom'. Traces of this 'Qua Iboe' term still remains in Ibibio and Efik lands today, for eg the Qua Iboe church which was founded by the Ibibios/Efiks and, interestingly, is found only in Akwa Ibom and Calabar.

1 Like

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by bigfrancis21: 6:35pm On Feb 07, 2013
truelove.com:

An Igbo man built the fastest computer in the world, so stop talking rubbish
Philip Emeagwali from Onitsha, Anambra state.

1 Like

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Malawian(m): 6:36pm On Feb 07, 2013
kofoshi: Yeye people!

They are looking for reinforcement in Israel to assist them in seceding from Nigeria, so any co.ck and bull story will do.

Attache no go help una dis time. You are stuck until we say go.

lolz. even powerfull pharaoh was before you naijeria and we know how that went. when igbos secede, you lot will have your hand full with the spillover from mali to contend with.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by bokohalal(m): 6:49pm On Feb 07, 2013
bigfrancis21:
This is untrue. By and large, the Igbo traditions are different and distinct from the Hausa/Bini/Yoruba traditions. In fact, in many ways the Igbo do not share similar traditions with other major tribes group in Nigeria. Starting from naming, marriage, dressing, child birth visitation (omugwo) practices and what have you. The only people with similar traditions with the Igbo are the Ibibio/Efik groups who, after observing their Igbo-like traditions, were called 'qua ibo'/'kwa ibo' by the Whites, which means 'like the ibo'. 'Qua' is an Englisk word. Pick up a dictionary and check. Kwa ibo later got to form the name of the current Ibibio state, 'Akwa ibom'. Traces of this 'Qua Iboe' term still remains in Ibibio and Efik lands today, for eg the Qua Iboe church which was founded by the Ibibios/Efiks and, interestingly, is found only in Akwa Ibom and Calabar.
The Igbo customs mentioned as evidence.
Since when did dressing count as evidence of Jewish heritage?
Actually,your whole write-up is senseless.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by bigfrancis21: 6:49pm On Feb 07, 2013
Kei144:

I've carried that personal belief myself. I have always thought that not all Igbo are Jewish and the Jewish concentrations are found mostly in Anambra and a few other places. In my village our ancestral history goes thus: Our ancestor was a man called 'Eri'. He bore a son and named him Nri. Nri is known to be the progenitor of the Igbo race today. Descendants of Eri can be traced in Igbo village names in Anambra such as 'umueri' (Descendants/Children of Eri), 'Agulueri' etc. Eri is recorded in the Christian bible as the 5th son of Jacob. Ozubulu is thought to be the corruption of Jacob's son, 'Zebulun', the people believed to have descended from him. Uburu, a place of salt in Ebonyi state is said to be a corruption of 'hebrew'. Interestingly, during the slave trade, as far back as 1600, a few slave records kept by the white masters recorded the Igbo slaves as 'heebo'. This could mean that 'igbo' itself is a corruption of 'Hebrew', having gone from 'hebrew' to 'heburu' to 'heebo' to 'ebo' to 'igbo'.
Meanwhile until Israel accords the Igbo populace an official recognition of being a lost tribe, the Igbo people should continue to wax stronger in their endeavours and chosen fields of industry.

1 Like

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Rossikk(m): 7:38pm On Feb 07, 2013
phreakabit:

We are not Jews period.

And your statement is based on WHAT research?

(You do realize that in the world of the educated, you need to back up your declarations with research?)
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by bokohalal(m): 7:53pm On Feb 07, 2013
FXKing2012: Yes they are. Is it not obvious going by what Igbos have been achieving for Nigeria? From the Super Eagles which is made up of over 90% Igbos to the fact that Igbos are the ones sustaining the economy of Nigeria...the list is simply endless
Igbos make up about 35% of the Super Eagles.
Oil and gas sustains the Nigerian economy.

1 Like

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by otumfour(m): 8:05pm On Feb 07, 2013
Rossikk:

(You do realize that in the world of the educated, you need to back up your declarations with research?)

your mouth/breathe odour alone, will let a real jew disown u, ugly thing u are rossik grin grin grin grin

stop dreaming and wake the furk up.....the world is moving

1 Like

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Abagworo(m): 8:11pm On Feb 07, 2013
bigfrancis21:
This is untrue. By and large, the Igbo traditions are different and distinct from the Hausa/Bini/Yoruba traditions. In fact, in many ways the Igbo do not share similar traditions with other major tribes group in Nigeria. Starting from naming, marriage, dressing, child birth visitation (omugwo) practices and what have you. The only people with similar traditions with the Igbo are the Ibibio/Efik groups who, after being observed of their Igbo-like traditions, were called 'qua ibo'/'kwa ibo' by the Whites, which means 'like the ibo'. 'Qua' is an English word. Pick up a dictionary and check. Kwa ibo later got to form the name of the current Ibibio state, 'Akwa ibom'. Traces of this 'Qua Iboe' term still remains in Ibibio and Efik lands today, for eg the Qua Iboe church which was founded by the Ibibios/Efiks and, interestingly, is found only in Akwa Ibom and Calabar.

You people are funny as hell. Igbos originate from as many sources as many other ethnic groups. There might be remnants of Jews that mixed with the various groups that make up the present Southern Nigeria. I personally believe that Igbo, Igala, Yoruba, Edo etc once lived together somewhere before dispersing in different phases. My evidence is in phenotype ,linguistics and share of cultures. Example the Yam festival,Kolanuts reverence and circumcision on the 8th day. Igbos also share the "omubo" culture wIth Ijaw.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by alanmwene: 8:11pm On Feb 07, 2013
Being from kongo,I dont know that much about igbos! I just want to know what did they achieved in their history?
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Ejine(m): 8:12pm On Feb 07, 2013
Hmmm... smiley
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by AndreUweh(m): 8:14pm On Feb 07, 2013
bokohalal:
94 AND 2013 squads are 55% Igbo from south east and south south.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by bigfrancis21: 8:14pm On Feb 07, 2013
bokohalal:
The Igbo customs mentioned as evidence.
Since when did dressing count as evidence of Jewish heritage?
Actually,your whole write-up is senseless.
Lmao. Because you find it very hard to comprehend a simple English write-up. From your question it is clear you didn't understand what I wrote as you can't follow simple logic statements!
I wrote that in response to somebody who said the modern Igbo traditions are the same with those of other tribes and yet the 'other tribes' are not claiming Jewish ancestry. I countered him and then went on to point out the differences!!! By mentioning the Igbo traditions in that post as I did I wasn't trying to link them as Jewish. I only did that to point out the differences. There are many Igbo customs which the Igbo still doesn't share with the Hebrews.
The lack of reading culture among black people is so rife. Some black people won't bring out just a few minutes to read and understand a simple write-up.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by FXKing2012(m): 8:18pm On Feb 07, 2013
bokohalal:
Then you obviously know very little about the composition of the Super Eagles and even less about economics.
All over the world small businesses employ the most and sustain the economy, and Nigeria is not an exception.

Maybe spending more time reading and listening to news rather than following boko haram will help your ignorance.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by bigfrancis21: 8:22pm On Feb 07, 2013
Abagworo:

You people are funny as hell. Igbos originate from as many sources as many other ethnic groups. There might be remnants of Jews that mixed with the various groups that make up the present Southern Nigeria. I personally believe that Igbo, Igala, Yoruba, Edo etc once lived together somewhere before dispersing in different phases. My evidence is in phenotype ,linguistics and share of cultures. Example the Yam festival,Kolanuts reverence and circumcision on the 8th day. Igbos also share the "omubo" culture wIth Ijaw.
Abagworo, I'm highly disappointed in your statement. Today you post an intelligent statement on the Igbo people tomorrow you talk nonsense. Omubo whatever isn't Igbo culture. What we have is the Omugwo culture. Please, young man, the Igbo culture of today is distinct. Ah, is this fact going to be a subject of debate when it is obviously clear? It may share a little common characteristics with other neighbouring tribes yet the Igbo culture, by and large, remains different from others. If the Igbo culture is so pervasive and the same among all the tribes in Nigeria then why aren't historians and Israel using the term, 'Nigerian Jews'/'Nigerian culture' specifically in place of 'Igbo jews'? Some people need to learn to reason with their heads.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Kei144(m): 8:31pm On Feb 07, 2013
You cannot use modern traditions to judge. You need to think about the traditions that existed some 100 years ago. Then there was very little interaction between cultures. If you read Olaudah Equiano's book you notice a sharp difference between the then Igbo culture and the culture of present day coastal south-south people. In those days, there were not much similarities between Igbo and Efik/Ibibio cultures. Modern day Christianity and intermingling has made every tribe to be practicing circumcision on the 8th day, etc.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by bigfrancis21: 8:37pm On Feb 07, 2013
Kei144: You cannot use modern traditions to judge. You need to think about the traditions that existed some 100 years ago. Then there was very little interaction between cultures. If you read Olaudah Equiano's book you notice a sharp difference between the then Igbo culture and the culture of present day coastal south-south people. In those days, there were not much similarities between Igbo and Efik/Ibibio cultures. Modern day Christianity and intermingling has made every tribe to be practicing circumcision on the 8th day, etc.
Modern-day circumcision cannot be said to be a feature of any tribe. It is a christian practice.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by phreakabit(m): 8:40pm On Feb 07, 2013
Kei144:

I bet you are just about to say the Jews are from Anambra. . . . Una no dey seize to amaze me.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Rossikk(m): 8:41pm On Feb 07, 2013
otumfour:

your mouth/breathe odour alone, will let a real jew disown u, ugly thing u are rossik grin grin grin grin

stop dreaming and wake the furk up.....the world is moving

You sound very stup.id and ignorant. And you're most certainly not funny. If your tiny brain cannot fathom anything beyond your nose and immediate experience, much less contemplate basic research and intellectual discourse, spare yourself the embarrassment and leave this thread.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by AndreUweh(m): 8:42pm On Feb 07, 2013
alanmwene: Being from kongo,I dont know that much about igbos! I just want to know what did they achieved in their history?
The Igbo history is so vast and but let me tell you just a little about 1967--70.
During this dark period of her history, she had her own republic where they manufactured indigenous amunitions that killed their enemies more than the imported ones.
The built indigenous bridges that stands taste of time till date.
They went into agriculture on a very large scale that sustained the nation for 2 years w before the area was lost to the enemies.
Despite being at war, law and order was maintained.
Had indigenous textile factories that manufactured shoes, hats and wears for the entire nation.
Had refineries that produced petrol from local resources.
Had a good maintenance department that ensured that buildings, cars, roads etc were maintained. They were all maintained and serviced during the short lived republic.
In sports, some of the best known African sportsmen were of Igbo origin during the period in discussion. For example, Power mike, a famous wrestler,D.K Tiger, famous boxer, Emma Ifeajuna-commonwealth games gold medalists etc.
Some of the the brightest intellectuals in Africa during the period were also of Igbo origin. For example, Chinua Achebe, Onuora Nzekwu, John Munonye, Emeka Ike, Michael Crowder, Christopher Okigbo, Chike Obi, Flora Nwapa, Cyprian Ekwensi, Prof Uzoigwe, Afigbo, Njoku, Dike, Louis Mbanefo., Gordian Ezekwe etc.
Some of Africa's best graduates from Sandhurst and other military accademies were of Igbo origin. E.g Col Okwechime, Col Madiebo, Col Njoku, Col Okoro, Major Akanya, Wing Commander Ezeilo, Col Amadi, Navy Commander Anukwu, Col Onwuatuegwu etc. Check out their results.
Mind you, I have only discussed a period of 3 years. WHAT WOULD YOU LEARN IF I EXTEND IT TO 30 YEARS?.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by phreakabit(m): 8:44pm On Feb 07, 2013
alanmwene: Being from kongo,I dont know that much about igbos! I just want to know what did they achieved in their history?

[size=18pt]Things your brazilian hair wig wearing CONGO rebel brothers will never. . . . BTW, I just schooled you on how to spell your very own country's name. . . Kongo my azz, bloody Yoruba Kongis! angry[/size]
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by phreakabit(m): 8:46pm On Feb 07, 2013
Rossikk:

You do realize you are only as intelligent as what you know, not what you think you know or what you are told. . . . . Fact is not the truth. Besides there hasn't been any concrete evidence provided/presented on this issue.
Re: Are Igbo Jews, The Lost Tribe Of Israel? - CNN by Kei144(m): 8:48pm On Feb 07, 2013
phreakabit:

I bet you are just about to say the Jews are from Anambra. . . . Una no dey seize to amaze me.

Kei144:

The big question though is, are all Igbos Jews? The late Kenneth Dike (former VC of University of Ibadan) and two other researchers investigated the origin of Igbos and concluded that Igbos came from three sources: some came from Benin empire, some came from Congo river basin (hence the relationship with Efiks and Ibibio), while some were Jews that came to present day Igboland. According to Dike and his colleagues, the Jews are the Aros, the Ekwulobias, the Aguleris, etc. As I discussed this matter with a colleague where I work, he told me about one gifted Yoruba lady that is married to an Igbo, who operates a prophetic ministry at Abuja. The woman (Mommy Deborah) said that Igbos are not Jews, but that Judah came to Igbo.

What about "The Jews are the Aros"? Are Aros only in Anambra. Apart from that, Olaudah Equiano's origin has been traced to Isseke in Ihiala LGA. In those days there was no Anambra/Imo boundary, so you can be sure that nearby villages to Isseke (in today's Imo State) contained Jews.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Davido Campaigns For Ademola Adeleke In Osun (Video, Photo) / Bayelsa Residents Break Into Warehouse, Steal 2022 Flood Palliatives / Oyetola Wins Osun APC Guber Primary (see Official Results)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.