Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,639 members, 7,813,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:28 AM

Talent Is Better Than Education - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Talent Is Better Than Education (28488 Views)

Talent Is Misunderstood And Overrated / Your Musical Talent Is NOT Fake, This Is All You Need To Succeed. / A Single Talent Is Not A Ticket To Success In Life. It Must Be Nurtured On A Dai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by bonetalk(m): 8:52pm On Feb 17, 2013
tanimola22:

Okay, I hear you. But, at least, you probably should agree that your claim that Dangote did not go to school is not completely correct. The discussion is to choose between 'Dangote went to school and Dangote did not go to school'. We all know that he at least went to a university and read business studies. He therefore does not qualify as a college dropout or a did-not-go-to-school billionaire, even if it was yesterday he graduated from the university.

Jamie Dimon is a known banker at JP Morgan and a co-founder of the Citi Bank you hear of today. He is not an unknown name in the world...Maybe your point would have been sharper if you had said 'tell me one banker in Nigeria with riches and popularity dominating those of Tubaba and davido.

T22
what of Mark Zuckerberg
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by bukatyne(f): 8:52pm On Feb 17, 2013
Kennedyiheme: Obowummi Wheres D Dicipline In D Guy Dat Goes To Skool Nd Bcom A Cultist?..dude U Are Offkey Abeg
@Kennedyiheme You have brought a topic to NL, not everybody will agree with you and npt everyone who agrees with you will use the same language you do. Don't castigate those who don't agree with you and understand the positions of posters so you don't misquote or 'misreply' a poster. Thanks.
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 17, 2013
A bunch of incoherent foools who couldn't pass jamb because they were too busy trying to be like wiz kid, wrote some incoherent trash, trying to defend it with some more incoherent bullshiit, and this mod had the ballz to put this on front page.
And these dummys are the future of this nation? We don't need war or revolution or any of those, we just need to allow these muthafvckers to roam the earth,they will destroy everything with their ignorance

6 Likes

Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Shaw007(m): 8:58pm On Feb 17, 2013
Understanding the OP's mindset but his argument is just poorLy presented . . . 1st off,Education and talent are Not Ends on their Own,so you can't really make comparisons . . . Infact,in Most cases they comPLement each other

and The way you were saying it as if all Lawyers/bankers or doctors are totally devoid of talent,trust their are some who truLy Love what they are doing and they are happy with whatever pay they might be getting. . .
which brings me to another point;For you to define greatness,you don't necessariLLy need to mention money and fame

Infact,according to My own phiLosophy,i believe that you have to go after what you Love and are Good at doing and success will simPLy come chasing you (which Might Involve Education In the Equation BTW)
Money/fame does Not mean you will be happy . . .

matter of fact,i rate happiness More than money,

and I'm saying this from experience

2 Likes

Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Phemmmy(m): 9:00pm On Feb 17, 2013
Nigeria's economic situation has downgraded education.
Educated people are useless because they are not thought well.
Except for some who took bold steps.
Have you forgotten that some people process the 2face's music.
Of which education made that possible
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Dejideta: 9:06pm On Feb 17, 2013
x-fire:

I'm not ready to debate your flawed argument. It will be a sheer waste of energy. I just wanna tell you to stop writing all words in sentence case as it makes it more stressful to read.

o boi, forget grammar, grammar no be your language.
I am sure you cannot even write your post in your mother tongue.
No matter how you try, oyibo go ever be oyibo, and you go ever be black monkey.
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by free2ryhme: 9:07pm On Feb 17, 2013
education still remains better .... Aelast u go get something do and ur education stays with you for life unlike talent without the right attitude dies overnight
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by victorazy(m): 9:12pm On Feb 17, 2013
emmatok:

Haha

Lazy man shouting talent.

Me lazy man?
Bros I be architect by profession but my going to school was to get the paper, talent did it all.
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by demana: 9:17pm On Feb 17, 2013
The question here should be "nature or nuture"
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by chucky234(m): 9:25pm On Feb 17, 2013
nayef: Tani.. You even went international in mentioning one name. lets just talk about Nigeria. The OP.. Access bank AIG, or some ex bnakers-- Jim ovia, Tony elumelu. In fact, their financial muscle would put those u mentioned to seizure
Well I am not ready to debate who is right or wrong but I don't think those thieves you listed above should merit mention when people discuss talent and genuine wealth.

1 Like

Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Nobody: 9:26pm On Feb 17, 2013
Talent is refined and given confidence by Education
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by chucky234(m): 9:32pm On Feb 17, 2013
Shaw007: Understanding the OP's mindset but his argument is just poorLy presented . . . 1st off,Education and talent are Not Ends on their Own,so you can't really make comparisons . . . Infact,in Most cases they comPLement each other

and The way you were saying it as if all Lawyers/bankers or doctors are totally devoid of talent,trust their are some who truLy Love what they are doing and they are happy with whatever pay they might be getting. . .
which brings me to another point;For you to define greatness,you don't necessariLLy need to mention money and fame

Infact,according to My own phiLosophy,i believe that you have to go after what you Love and are Good at doing and success will simPLy come chasing you (which Might Involve Education In the Equation BTW)
Money/fame does Not mean you will be happy . . .

matter of fact,i rate happiness More than money,

and I'm saying this from experience
After reading the first two lines of your post I was tempted to read further but was shocked with the number of misspelled words contained in your post,our educational system is total mess.
Take your time to read through your post and have those mistakes corrected,I am just being polite.
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by chucky234(m): 9:35pm On Feb 17, 2013
x-fire:

Atedo Peterside of Stanbic IBTC bank, Jim Ovia of Zenith Bank, etc
The fact that Atedo Peterside is a proven crook who stashed govt's and customers' money is an open secret.
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by walelamina: 9:38pm On Feb 17, 2013
Where is kennedyiheme..? D guy don run
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 17, 2013
Dejideta:

o boi, forget grammar, grammar no be your language.
I am sure you cannot even write your post in your mother tongue.
No matter how you try, oyibo go ever be oyibo, and you go ever be black monkey.
So you mean that is how you see all black people including yourself? I'm sorry to tell you but you need to the cured of extreme inferiority complex that you are suffering from.
Your case requires pity and not insult.
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by oluomad(m): 9:51pm On Feb 17, 2013
Kennedyiheme: My Dear Nl's. Today In Our Society People Are Blind. Everybody Wants To Be A Doctor,lawyer,banker Etc,they Forget Dat God Has Deposited Something In Them That Would Make Them Great...pls Tell Me One Banker That Is Popular And Richer dan 2face or davido...
Jim ovia and tony elumelu
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Nobody: 10:03pm On Feb 17, 2013
Would Messi have been better off in the university studying engineering as opposed to playing football?

Is Mark Zuckerberg better off dropping out of school to pursue his dreams due to his programming talents?

Would Cristiano Ronaldo be better off studying in the university in his native Portugal as opposed to following his football talents?

Would Rihanna be better off in school or in the studio releasing songs?

Would Dangote be a better entrepreneur or a better employee after education?

Would Linda Ikeji be better off in a bank or blogging?

Would Aki and Pawpaw be better off looking for work after education or amusing people with their inborn talents.

Is Asuquo Cobhams better off following his talents despite disability?

These are people that their talents have given them more fame, fortune, success, pedigree that the average "educated" person will never know. In Nigeria, education is all about certificates and have nothing to do with ability.

The lesson: follow your talents and dreams. Get a certificate (through education) as a fallback in case your dreams fall through.

2 Likes

Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Leadn(m): 10:08pm On Feb 17, 2013
chucky234: After reading the first two lines of your post I was tempted to read further but was shocked with the number of misspelled words contained in your post,our educational system is total mess.
Take your time to read through your post and have those mistakes corrected,I am just been polite.
you are be-ing (as in human being) not been (as in travel to...) Layman's style
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by topmostg: 10:24pm On Feb 17, 2013
walelamina: Where is kennedyiheme..? D guy don run

kennedy iheneme!

Lol....him don bow for ßeef be dat ooo...
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Itoroetti(m): 10:24pm On Feb 17, 2013
sholay2011: Op, calm down first. Seems you were high when you typed this nonsensical jargon. grin

On a serious note, how can you say talent is better than education? Don't you know education even helps to sharpen talent and brings about the side of professionalism, that's why we have courses like theatre arts, music etc?

Op, pls tell me, what serious economy is sustained by revenue generated from entertainment or talent MAJORLY? You cannot even survive to type this if some ppl such as farmers who put food on ur table and doctors fail to do their job who ensure we survive a diseased world and you're here ranting about talent. Don't you know no matter how much talent is, its survival is based on other things?

To make a standard movie, it's nt really based on 'so much' talent but rather good camera work and special effects which are products of technology. Technology is learnt thru education (though not like the one in Naija sha).

And as much as ppl wiv talent who have 'made' it are respected, they would always be less respected than ppl that deal with more serious issues that affect human survival. You don't expect ppl to respect genevieve than Ngozi-Okonjo Iweala or Tuface than Obasanjo (God forbid!) Or even dbanj than fashola!

Talent is good but not a thing that is sustainable for everyone...and education is never overrated...it is just misapplied in the nigerian case.
My friend go and read about great inventors and come back here to tell me how educated the were.most never attended schools,d fw dat did later dropped out.ask ur self,"who propounded educational theories"?
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by CHIMSKY(m): 10:26pm On Feb 17, 2013
While the bible says that a man's gift will make make a way for him,we must consider the fact that talent or even the strength with which to put that talent to work may ebb.
Have you noticed what happens to footballers,entertainers,actresses,actors after a while in the spotlight?They fade away.
Education may seem worthless in the face of unemployment currently running officialy at 23.9%,but in the long run it is worth it.School opens your mind to possibilities.Science makes you curious.The arts teach you to be creative.I would rather be educated and dead broke because I know that somehow,I will create a need that people will gladly paymeto fill.When you are uneducated and in poverty,it is like a lifelong jail sentence.Since you have no curiousity in you,you do not possess the confidence to even ask the important questions like "why not?" and create your own luck.You depend on the economy and whatever handouts are given to you.

1 Like

Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by xtenxive(m): 10:52pm On Feb 17, 2013
This Poster has just continuously displayed his ignorance by his posts, proper education would have just helped him present his argument better (that's how valuable education can be for him).
He should go and check the list of richest Nigerians and if not satisfied, he should check the list of the world's richest to see where his so called davido, tuface, JayZ, Rihana, Puffy, MJ, Messi, Ronaldo etc will be on those lists. That should answer his question. Make we hear word abeg!!!
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Bigboy100: 10:55pm On Feb 17, 2013
Both are defined by you chasing your passion and dream. However; education sharpens and nurtures your mind and talent, while talent defines your natural calling and purpose. Hence, hardwork beats talent when talent refuse to work hard ! So when you work hard in anything you do , you will surely excel exceedingly .
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by lakefist(m): 11:09pm On Feb 17, 2013
my problem with nairaland guys,they will not respect each others opinion....you guys should grow up and state your points politely without passing insaults.some people are here reading to learn from the topic...back to the point.
talent + education will take you places both are important. even your secondary education is enough for someone and tertiary is only optional if you can afford it.
talent not polished will become disaster and its education that can make talent useful.
for me talent is stronger and must go with little education..
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Nobody: 11:14pm On Feb 17, 2013
it depends.
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by pirate1: 11:15pm On Feb 17, 2013
MsDarkSkin: it depends.

angry

why you ignoring me jamaican
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by lordZOUGA(m): 11:23pm On Feb 17, 2013
the current nigerian education system is not education... it is below education..
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Nobody: 11:56pm On Feb 17, 2013
Talent is better WITH education

1 Like

Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by chreldb(m): 12:06am On Feb 18, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Knowledge is the key to survival.without knowledge,the world would have been a shithole.The great inventors of the world acquire knowledge through education to make the world like this.

Its only in Nigeria people worship musicians and footballers;thinking they contribute to their society.In saner climes,people like Plato,Aristotle,socrates,st Augustine,Pythagoras and so many others that have contributed to the development of knowledge are still revered.however in Nigeria,people tend to measure success by the amount of money you make.

Besides bunch of useless musics by tuface and davido,how and what exactly have they contributed to the Nigeria ? Iweala good or bad have helped with economic theories that have benefitted Nigeria.you need education to survive in life because it gives you more advantage in the evolving world and please I'm not talking about a hopeless shithole like Nigeria.

If you think talent is better than Nigeria,travel outside Nigeria and see what people will think most about you and if you still think otherwise,then you must be a learner.

What surprises me the most about this post is that it has no likes. The most reasonable post on this thread so far. Oil de your brain. Abeg collect one like from me jare.
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by Nobody: 12:07am On Feb 18, 2013
But seriously, what passes as talent for musicians these days?
Isn't it now all just look-at-me-i'm-richism and look-I-have-6pack-or-yanshism?
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by frankgreat(m): 12:10am On Feb 18, 2013
dUde u got no point, and for does liking wat u wrote r also pointless, whu knws ngozi wen she was d same age with present genevive's age? Who knws obansanjo wen he ws at d age of 2face?and as for technology, most big guys lik facebook nd microsoft dnt finish school...what I no today in ma career is not from ur dumb education..if nigeria can stop dis madness of paper qualification and concentrate on what u knw den we will b in a beta place
sholay2011: Op, calm down first. Seems you were high when you typed this nonsensical jargon. grin

On a serious note, how can you say talent is better than education? Don't you know education even helps to sharpen talent and brings about the side of professionalism, that's why we have courses like theatre arts, music etc?

Op, pls tell me, what serious economy is sustained by revenue generated from entertainment or talent MAJORLY? You cannot even survive to type this if some ppl such as farmers who put food on ur table and doctors fail to do their job who ensure we survive a diseased world and you're here ranting about talent. Don't you know no matter how much talent is, its survival is based on other things?

To make a standard movie, it's nt really based on 'so much' talent but rather good camera work and special effects which are products of technology. Technology is learnt thru education (though not like the one in Naija sha).

And as much as ppl wiv talent who have 'made' it are respected, they would always be less respected than ppl that deal with more serious issues that affect human survival. You don't expect ppl to respect genevieve than Ngozi-Okonjo Iweala or Tuface than Obasanjo (God forbid!) Or even dbanj than fashola!

Talent is good but not a thing that is sustainable for everyone...and education is never overrated...it is just misapplied in the nigerian case.
Re: Talent Is Better Than Education by chreldb(m): 12:22am On Feb 18, 2013
kalokalo: Would Messi have been better off in the university studying engineering as opposed to playing football?

Is Mark Zuckerberg better off dropping out of school to pursue his dreams due to his programming talents?

Would Cristiano Ronaldo be better off studying in the university in his native Portugal as opposed to following his football talents?

Would Rihanna be better off in school or in the studio releasing songs?

Would Dangote be a better entrepreneur or a better employee after education?

Would Linda Ikeji be better off in a bank or blogging?

Would Aki and Pawpaw be better off looking for work after education or amusing people with their inborn talents.

Is Asuquo Cobhams better off following his talents despite disability?

These are people that their talents have given them more fame, fortune, success, pedigree that the average "educated" person will never know. In Nigeria, education is all about certificates and have nothing to do with ability.

The lesson: follow your talents and dreams. Get a certificate (through education) as a fallback in case your dreams fall through.

@ bolded, see quote below and have a rethink.

“When I was a child my mother said to me, 'If you become a soldier, you'll be a general. If you become a monk, you'll be the pope.' Instead I became a painter and wound up as Picasso.”
― Pablo Picasso.

Lesson: Some people are bound to succeed in whatever they eventually choose to do with their life. Because it is in their nature to try and excel in whatever they do to the best of their ability as a result of their persistence and determination.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nurse Sacked For Preaching To Patients / Can Your Salary Ever Make You Wealthy? / I Am Finished! I Must Avenge My Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.