Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,600 members, 7,816,492 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? (9935 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Should Teach Your Kids To Drive Before 15(pics) / I Can’t Believe My Husband Is Asking Me For This!! / Is It Proper For A Wife To Wear A 'g-string'? Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 12:41am On Feb 16, 2013
maclatunji:

For many people here, agreeing with your post would mean accepting they have been doing something wrong when it comes to their kids. Good luck with that.

Just in case you were referring to me, I already agreed with her post even before she posted it.

ileobatojo:

Well I don't agree with the teachers making them to choose one partner and I sure hope the teacher did not ask them to write romantic messages to the partners. And the teacher should really have monitored or set limits to what can be written in the cards.

ileobatojo:
As long as the schools are not presenting it in a romantic se.xual way which I highly doubt most are, the parent ultimately has the most power in how this is perceived and manifested by the child.

And by the way, how many people have said they approve of a romantic getaway hour planned by the school on valentine's day like Zayhal highlighted?

Nairalanders like to embellish things for drama's sake sha.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 12:49am On Feb 16, 2013
MMotimo:

Please tell me you are kidding or just exaggerating. . . . In fact, I will ask that you name the school. I doubt ANY school would support romance between students for Val's day and from your description, these are very young kids too.
Madam, is it possible that what you saw was just coincidence - kids playing like they do everyday, male and female, nothing to do with pairing. Let us be mindful of sexualizing innocent child settings.

At that age, our own kids would play with the opposite sex, not a matter of pairing

This is below the reply to @Zahal's post( in my notepad) I wanted to submit and changed my mind before;

@Zahal so your ALL deductions bout this scenario is just from you watching from afar , 1+1=2? wow! ,
I don't support teaching romance in school at that young age ( I even doubt it sef) and pairing them up sounds very disturbing too, and just so you know all kids valentines cards( with kids cartoon characters) don't say love on it here as love is a personal word you don't say to just anybody , we'll I can't speak for Naija oh.

You said why is a day chosen to celebrate love? well days are chosen to celebrate everything isn't it, ( Mother's Day, Father's Day, children's day , st. Patric day, labour day, etc) it's just for fun I guess.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by maclatunji: 12:53am On Feb 16, 2013
jidegirl12:

Very! this is the future, you only live once ... business dey kampè... 3 more homes opening in March. cool

How body and life in general? cool

Congratulations, I thank God for good health. As for life, at crossroads. Trying to make the best decisions and choices, maybe I will write a book about life someday. Problem is- my memory doesn't keep specific experiences for too long, it keeps only the lessons and ignores the rest.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 1:03am On Feb 16, 2013
maclatunji:

Congratulations, I thank God for good health. As for life, at crossroads. Trying to make the best decisions and choices, maybe I will write a book about life someday. Problem is- my memory doesn't keep specific experiences for too long, it keeps only the lessons and ignores the rest.

That's the only way to go in life bro or someone'll just die unannounced , sieve through bulk and choose only valuables ,so it's not a problem atall.
Looking forward to the book, send it to Oprah , who knows? She might chose it for her book club , I have no doubt you'll make the book club( make us proud) , you're a very intelligent Man.
Good luck.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by maclatunji: 1:07am On Feb 16, 2013
ileobatojo:

Just in case you were referring to me, I already agreed with her post even before she posted it.

And by the way, how many people have said they approve of a romantic getaway hour planned by the school on valentine's day like Zayhal highlighted?

Nairalanders like to embellish things for drama's sake sha.

Nope, my post was not meant for you but I will say this: we live in a highly-sexed world and if one is not a believer in casual sex, you really shouldn't be asking children to celebrate a day that is not a part of their academic calendar, wear red and send romantic messages at school, what happens when romance grows? Some sort of physical intimacy, that is how we were created.

I taught in a rural area (NYSC) and kids in JSS 1 were already sexually conscious and probably active. Imagine what their urban counterparts will be trying.

Children are treasures, any wise parent would block anything that could mislead them, this valentine thingy is just misguidance that is being glorified.

2 Likes

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by biolabee(m): 3:15am On Feb 16, 2013
maclatunji:

, any wise parent would block anything that could mislead them, this valentine thingy is just misguidance that is being glorified.

i love this but as someone said this is basically a take on parental styles

old school v modernism v neo-liberalism
pick ur own undecided undecided
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by baby124: 3:20am On Feb 16, 2013
Really? Kids dress for valentine? My first time hearing this sha. Same colors as christmas right? Don't know about schools enforcing such laws. Schools are always sensitive about participation in these things, as parents beliefs differ. But really though? Valentine? I could understand if parents are doing it and playing dress up, but school getting involved? Nah!
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by zayhal(f): 11:38am On Feb 16, 2013
@MMotimo

It wasn't a coincidence at all. Every pair consisted of a male and female, primary school kids. I don't think it's right for me to mention the name of the school here but I can very well give you in a PM if you're so interested. I wouldn't blame the schools engaging in these things much sha. It is the parents who endorse all these things for them without raising an eyebrow. Like the mother I said I spoke with regarding the school, she was talking to me as if she had no choice but to buy the card and gift the school asked her daughter to buy.

The society is highly sexed borrowing someone's language here. It is on this nairaland I read a guy proudly saying that he's been sexually active since his primary school days. You'd be surprised at how much these kids know these days. It's better to face reality and have a grasp of the situation rather than regret later.

@Baby123
It's happening here o and very common too.

2 Likes

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Feb 16, 2013
maclatunji:

*Yawns*
Are you hungry? I'm making eba with ogbono and stockfish et al.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by maclatunji: 4:29pm On Feb 16, 2013
fresh_dude: Are you hungry? I'm making eba with ogbono and stockfish et al.

Correct guy, I am hungry for real. I am disliking you for making me even hungrier with this post.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by azimibraun: 7:41pm On Feb 16, 2013
Am in an accident scene rite nw on kubwa road.. 4 ppl terribly injured. Nigerians are willing 2 help bt everybody including myself is scared of police so we only managed 2 gt dem out of d mangled car bt dey are lying hia blood allover we are all jst watching trying Roadsafety lines.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by azimibraun: 7:44pm On Feb 16, 2013
Over 20 cars packed and folks are all saying d same thing.. If u help nw, u wll regret it because Police wll mk u never want 2 help again. What a country.. Dis 4 are horribly injured in d face neck and all over.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 7:47pm On Feb 16, 2013
Omg just go there and pull them out before the cars blows up now!!!!!!
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Orikinla(m): 7:51pm On Feb 16, 2013
It was fascinating.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by babysnogls: 7:51pm On Feb 16, 2013
Lol..

2 Likes

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by bennynaza(m): 7:55pm On Feb 16, 2013
Of course not! Vals day is for married people and those thinking of marriage. Not kids
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by azimibraun: 8:00pm On Feb 16, 2013
I and my cousin and some of the folks around gt dem out of d mangled car and fanning dem and dts d mch we cld do.. We cnt stop bleeding.. A guy called d frsc and dey aint hia and its 15mins+ already.. Am typing and my cous fanning rite nw.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by baby124: 8:02pm On Feb 16, 2013
azimibraun: I and my cousin and some of the folks around gt dem out of d mangled car and fanning dem and dts d mch we cld do.. We cnt stop bleeding.. A guy called d frsc and dey aint hia and its 15mins+ already.. Am typing and my cous fanning rite nw.

get clean clothes if you can, bunch it up and apply pressure on the major wound to slow down the bleeding. If you can tie the clothes aroung the spot. even better. May God reward you. Please move to a safe place so the car, if it is going to explode will not affect you.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Feb 16, 2013
azimibraun: I and my cousin and some of the folks around gt dem out of d mangled car and fanning dem and dts d mch we cld do.. We cnt stop bleeding.. A guy called d frsc and dey aint hia and its 15mins+ already.. Am typing and my cous fanning rite nw.

Are they breathing? can they talk? where s the bleeding? I'm thinking doing CPR but don't know the status of the situation , wow that country is fvcked up, no emergency line?
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Feb 16, 2013
Where's the bleeding! before applying pressure
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by code0: 8:15pm On Feb 16, 2013
jidegirl12: What is evil about valentine's day and being gay ? ( or don't you think that's quite degrading to kids from that union? cos they attend schools too)

Another one; Xmas concerts/carols are now banned in public schools now. No more 'merry Xmas' , just 'happy holidays' and why? cause of Atheists, Moslems and Jehovah witness feel left out and find it offensive undecided Mind you in as much as there're majority Christians compared to other believes in public schools, it ( Rule) was accepted and no problem rose , I bet it'll be war in a Nigerian society.

All I'm saying is let everybody respect everybody's way of life & personal space and keep their body parts to themselves.

You'll make a bad mother. Take it or leave it. Am sorry for a man that'll get married to you. But then I know birds of the same wings flocks together so you'll definitely get your type of a man so that you both can born demons.

1 Like

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by olempe(m): 8:33pm On Feb 16, 2013
I fully understand the OP, seems we were born in same generation, but seriously, times have changed. This is 2013, not 1993 nor 1983...
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Feb 16, 2013
code_0:

You'll make a bad mother. Take it or leave it. Am sorry for a man that'll get married to you. But then I know birds of the same wings flocks together so you'll definitely get your type of a man so that you both can born demons.

I'm leaving it patatata angry don't have bad energy today or else angry you'd be VERY sorry duc he angry

1 Like

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Seeeeeeee: 8:43pm On Feb 16, 2013
y don't they put love movies for children to watch.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by saint22: 9:05pm On Feb 16, 2013
Why must it be on feb 14 that u show love & even teaching ur children to show love on a particular day.a time'll come when parents will regret most of their actions.bring up ur child in d fear/LOVE of GOD & not valanto love or they'll brhng shame 2 U

1 Like

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by vision2050: 9:09pm On Feb 16, 2013
I learn alot............ Weldone to all teachers here
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by HAH: 9:47pm On Feb 16, 2013
This valentine thing is totally foreign to us if care is not taken in a the near future Nigerians will start GAY PRIDE PARADE mtcheeew

2 Likes

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 16, 2013
Nothing special about Valentine's day. Our school system should be made secular. Islamic and Christian studies should be made an elective subject. This is the reason why this current generation of blacks are suffering from inferiority complex.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Feb 16, 2013
maclatunji:

Correct guy, I am hungry for real. I am disliking you for making me even hungrier with this post.
I'm seeing this late but I'll keep you in mind on the next session. grin
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Feb 16, 2013
HAH: This valentine thing is totally foreign to us if care is not taken in a the near future Nigerians will start GAY PRIDE PARADE mtcheeew
So are Christmas day, New Years' Day, easter, eid el maolud, etc etc. The idea is to apply discretion in social affairs. My 2yo's had valentine's celebrations and each child had a val who had someone as their val and were requested to bring gifts-of course that's optional. But the point is I'd rather my boy learns to understand val's day from trusted adults than his peers who most likely would be influenced by the media who have twisted the whole on it's head just to make money. Even mtn says you don't love your wife/gf if you haven't bought her a 4000naira phone. I'd rather his school teaches him the proper meaning before his peers misguide him.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Feb 16, 2013
With or without valentine, our society was never holier than it is now. I think we are not confortable with less pretense and hypocrisy.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by dabossman(m): 10:12pm On Feb 16, 2013
I have no issues with schools asking kids to dress up in any color whatsoever on any particular day of the week. But my neighbor's kids got sent back home because they were not dressed in red and white on Val's Day.

That, I have a problem with.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

. / Igbo Boy's Names / How To Mend A Marriage After An Affair.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.