Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,631 members, 7,816,601 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? (9936 Views)

5 Reasons Why You Should Teach Your Kids To Drive Before 15(pics) / I Can’t Believe My Husband Is Asking Me For This!! / Is It Proper For A Wife To Wear A 'g-string'? Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 16, 2013
dabossman: I have no issues with schools asking kids to dress up in any color whatsoever on any particular day of the week. But my neighbor's kids got sent back home because they were not dressed in red and white on Val's Day.

That, I have a problem with.

This is stupidity at it's highest level from the school.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by thatchic: 10:30pm On Feb 16, 2013
Kini big deal. Granted I don’t live in naija, but I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
I have young kids and on val day all the kids in each classroom bring candy/treats and cards. There is no pairing , you have to give all your classmates the same thing. My kids also made cards for my husband and I.
At hospitals (the children’s hospital) the sick kids all receive a big bag filled with treats ,toys, books, pencils, stickers , teddy bears and personalized valentine cards. Volunteers also go from room to room with cupcakes.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Remii(m): 12:20am On Feb 17, 2013
No school will force my kids into celebrating any frivolities.

1 Like

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by blueandred: 9:09am On Feb 17, 2013
dabossman: I have no issues with schools asking kids to dress up in any color whatsoever on any particular day of the week. But my neighbor's kids got sent back home because they were not dressed in red and white on Val's Day.

That, I have a problem with.

That has to be the highest level of madness. But if I were that parent my level of madness would be one notch up for that school.

1 Like

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by vanstanzy(m): 9:40am On Feb 17, 2013
For what kwanu?? angry U want the bastardised-se*x-crazed version of valentine we see in our world today to infect our

kids. Mbanu!!! angry angry
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by vanstanzy(m): 9:46am On Feb 17, 2013
thatchic: Kini big deal. Granted I don’t live in naija, but I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
I have young kids and on val day all the kids in each classroom bring candy/treats and cards. There is no pairing , you have to give all your classmates the same thing. My kids also made cards for my husband and I.
At hospitals (the children’s hospital) the sick kids all receive a big bag filled with treats ,toys, books, pencils, stickers , teddy bears and personalized valentine cards. Volunteers also go from room to room with cupcakes.

Lady, that's the SANE kinda valentine celebration u speak of. What we are afraid of and against is the INSANE kinda

se8x-crazed valentine celebration infecting our kids. NOW THAT ONE SHOULD BE THE MAIN SOURCE OF WORRY!
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Sagamite(m): 9:56am On Feb 17, 2013
ileobatojo:

+1. I agree. While it is different than we are used to as Nigerians you also need to remember it is not being presented as a romantic thing to these young children. It's just about sharing with your friends. They start exchanging candy on valentines even in the toddler rooms in daycares. I don't see a reason why they should dress special for valentines day, the passing out candy is enough (I find it annoying because I don't like giving kids candy) but I don't think it's teaching kids to be promiscuous. These people just like finding any reason to amuse themselves. My kids school did not dress special. They did not even have the candy exchange. Woohoo!!

It is still wholly irresponsible even if they were merely passing candy and akara about.

The fact they select that day to pass it around is irresponsible.

In society, it is a date for amorosity and such acts imprints that date in the memory of the kids. Soon when they grow up a bit more (just short of hitting pubescence) they would quickly realise what the date really is about, it is not about candy. And it is something they have been encouraged and trained to participate in at any age.

DON'T AMUSE MY KIDS THAT WAY! There are a fcking billion of other ways to amuse them.

Trust me, if I send my child to a school and they come home to say their teachers instructed them to wear red and whatever to school on valentine's day, I REPEAT TRUST ME, I would inform my office I am coming in late, go to that school and I would HEAVILY AND INTENSELY VITUPERATE the teachers. WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT! You might not know this but I really know how to call people fucktards, cretins and mooorons.

Then I would go in and do it again on the next PTA day. That is the end of any civility between me and the authorities in that school.

I am not the type to blame "the school/system", I would specifically name names and vituperate them individually. The name of the person that had the idea. The name of the person that had the audacity to want to get my kid to participate in such.

2 Likes

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by thehunted(m): 10:09am On Feb 17, 2013
@sagamite,
Everybody know say u be mad man. LOL

@jidegirl12
I weep for the man that paid your bride price. Chikena.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Sagamite(m): 10:10am On Feb 17, 2013
thehunted: @sagamite,
Everybody know say u be mad man. LOL

Certified! grin
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 10:42am On Feb 17, 2013
thehunted:
@jidegirl12
I weep for the man that paid your bride price. Chikena.
You meant you weep for your own frustrated miserable life, cos you just got a raise from that your mushroom picking job to $1k a month, your balls are stretched? go back to your dirty village you come from before you start running your mouth on your ancestor here! Anu ohià!
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 10:48am On Feb 17, 2013

1 Like

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 11:19am On Feb 17, 2013
Sagamite:

It is still wholly irresponsible even if they were merely passing candy and akara about.

The fact they select that day to pass it around is irresponsible.

In society, it is a date for amorosity and such acts imprints that date in the memory of the kids. Soon when they grow up a bit more (just short of hitting pubescence) they would quickly realise what the date really is about, it is not about candy. And it is something they have been encouraged and trained to participate in at any age.

DON'T AMUSE MY KIDS THAT WAY! .

I agree with you that once they are in school there really is no credible reason for valentine day celebration, when one really thinks about it. I really appreciated the fact that the day wasn't even acknowledged in my kid's school. Would I withdraw him from his excellent school though, if it were? I'm not sure about that.

As for amusing the toddlers and preschoolers, ain't no thing to me. They amuse themselves on Easter, Halloween, Christmas, st Patrick's day e.t.c. I see no need to quit my job and become a stay at home mom just so my 2 yr old doesn't get candy and make a card for mommy and daddy on Val's day.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 11:30am On Feb 17, 2013
I wasn't allowed to celebrate valentine when I was in high school or even uni. My parents were "nice" though, they gave me a choice.........celebrate valentine with someone who has put a ring on it and as you can see, I turned out alright grin.

My kids are not allowed to celebrate Valentine

1 Like

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Sagamite(m): 11:31am On Feb 17, 2013
ileobatojo:
I agree with you that once they are in school there really is no credible reason for valentine day celebration, when one really thinks about it. I really appreciated the fact that the day wasn't even acknowledged in my kid's school. Would I withdraw him from his excellent school though, if it were? I'm not sure about that.

I would withdraw my kid. That is playstation day for the child(ren).

I would also vituperate the fucktards that put me in that position to do such and deduct the fee for that day from the school fees.

I would cause wahala. If we have to go to court, we will go to court.

ileobatojo:
As for amusing the toddlers and preschoolers, ain't no thing to me. They amuse themselves on Easter, Halloween, Christmas, st Patrick's day e.t.c. I see no need to quit my job and become a stay at home mom just so my 2 yr old doesn't get candy and make a card for mommy and daddy on Val's day.

If the school decides to celebrate some Ifa/Sango day with chocolates wrapped as sacrificial concoctions, asking your kids to come into school with white wrapper and beads, would that also be a "ain't no thing to you" too?
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 11:46am On Feb 17, 2013
Sagamite:
If the school decides to celebrate some Ifa/Sango day with chocolates wrapped as sacrificial concoctions, asking your kids to come into school with white wrapper and beads, would that also be a "ain't no thing to you" too?

If valentines day is the equivalent of Ifa celebration day to you then by all means, blow up the school if you have to.

I bet if they had Greek mythology day, you would be the first one to dress up your kid as Zeus. Difference?
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Sagamite(m): 11:48am On Feb 17, 2013
ileobatojo:

If valentines day is the equivalent of Ifa celebration day to you then by all means, blow up the school if you have to.

I bet if they had Greek mythology day, you would be the first one to dress up your kid as Zeus. Difference?

That does not answer my question.

Please do answer:

Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Feb 17, 2013
Sagamite:

Please do answer:

My answer was in my previous reply. Don't participate in something that offends your sensibilities simple. Val's day candy for 2 yr olds ain't no thing to me apart from the sugar concerns. To you it might be different. That's the beauty of the world we live in. We're not all one minded robots.

If you want a more direct response, please use a more realistic analogy. There's no limit to the wild scenarios that could be made up for the purpose of fearmongering.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Sagamite(m): 12:07pm On Feb 17, 2013
ileobatojo:

My answer was in my previous reply. Don't participate in something that offends your sensibilities simple. Val's day candy for 2 yr olds ain't no thing to me apart from the sugar concerns. To you it might be different. That's the beauty of the world we live in. We're not all one minded robots.

If you want a more direct response, please use a more realistic analogy. There's no limit to the wild scenarios that could be made up for the purpose of fearmongering.

No, you did not answer.

Would that also be a "ain't no thing to you"?

It is a very simple question. You seem to be happy to answer another question not asked but not the one asked.

Realistic?

Do you think if anyone had told me yesterday that teachers IN NIGERIA would tell young kids to celebrate valentine and wear red to school, I would have have thought that was realistic?

Please answer the question and stop strawmanning, dodging or looking for excuses not to answer.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Tgirl4real(f): 1:36pm On Feb 17, 2013
Sagamite:

Please do answer:

Sango wetin?

I can't take my kids where they are extremely religious not to talk of a Sango day.

I remembered a sch I went to make enquiries last week. The sch had a sticker with "I am covered with the blood of Jesus" on one of the receptions doors. That put me off immediately.
Very nice and modern sch o...owned by an American. Unfortunately, she wasn't around at the tym. But, I remembered telling them my opinion on the matter before leaving. cheesy

I'm a Christian, but I don't support any form of extremes around me not to talk of my child.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by uche13: 1:43pm On Feb 17, 2013
I'm still asking those in support of this modern trend in our schools.

What happens after the "innocence" of primary school and the child enters adolescence and is in secondary school? Do you still encourage the celebration of val at that dangerous and critical age? Or do you then advice the child to wait until the time is right?

If your answer is the latter? What explanation would be given to the child to drop a practice adopted even at the nursery level?
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by IYANGBALI: 1:59pm On Feb 17, 2013
jidegirl12: Times have changed from your own school days.
We ( my whole family) ALL wore red outfits to work & schools yesterday , kids packed cards & treats individually for their friends, we spend over 2hrs reading cards and sniffing roses that was given to us from friends too. call it funky as I don't really care.

Everything Nigerians don't recon with is a taboo/ bad parenting . Let anybody do whatever with their kids , if I like I dress them in mini skirts and mini mouse jumpers, MY kids , MY call ! if you can't deal face front.

OP I'm not sorry but just had to vent a little grin. Thank you.
the more reason whe world is upside down today
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Sagamite(m): 2:01pm On Feb 17, 2013
uche13: I'm still asking those in support of this modern trend in our schools.

What happens after the "innocence" of primary school and the child enters adolescence and is in secondary school? Do you still encourage the celebration of val at that dangerous and critical age? Or do you then advice the child to wait until the time is right?

If your answer is the latter? What explanation would be given to the child to drop a practice adopted even at the nursery level?

Some of them don't have the brain to think that far.

That is too complex for their brain.

Tgirl4real:
Sango wetin?

I can't take my kids where they are extremely religious not to talk of a Sango day.

I remembered a sch I went to make enquiries last week. The sch had a sticker with "I am covered with the blood of Jesus" on one of the receptions doors. That put me off immediately.
Very nice and modern sch o...owned by an American. Unfortunately, she wasn't around at the tym. But, I remembered telling them my opinion on the matter before leaving. cheesy

I'm a Christian, but I don't support any form of extremes around me not to talk of my child.

That was to test the logical thinking of someone that had the audacity to try and insult my intellect.

She is obviously not going to answer the question because her answer would be "No" as the scenario proposed would not stand up to the funky philosophy and be overlookable.

She had the audacity to insult my intellect by trying to tell me because schools get kids to celebrate Xmas, new year blah blah blah, then it ""ain't no thing" if they get the kids to celebrate valentines. That is the simplistic analogy she had the audacity to put to me. So I gave her a simplistic analogy to help her see her folly.

When schools celebrate Xmas etc, the values (spirituality, celebration, family etc) they are celebrating are not one that I particularly disagree with for my kids at any age even though I am not a Xtian.

But when a school celebrates Valentines, the values (amorosity) they are celebrating is one I would rather my kids are not instigated to join in until they reach a particular age.

So it is RIDICULOUS to come with such simplistic 'well they celebrate other things so it "ain't no thing" if they made to celebrate valentines'. It is not about the celebration, it is about the values espoused.

And she finally got that (I think), when I gave her an example of one with a value that she did not approve of and was not funky enough for her.

Next time, people should bring intellectual analogies to me. One they can defend.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Sagamite(m): 2:01pm On Feb 17, 2013
uche13: I'm still asking those in support of this modern trend in our schools.

Tgirl4real:
Sango wetin?

That was to test the logical thinking of someone that had the audacity to try and insult my intellect.

She is obviously not going to answer the question because her answer would be "No" as the scenario proposed would not stand up to the funky philosophy and be overlookable.

She had the audacity to insult my intellect by trying to tell me because schools get kids to celebrate Xmas, new year blah blah blah, then it ""ain't no thing" if they get the kids to celebrate valentines. That is the simplistic analogy she had the audacity to put to me. So I gave her a simplistic analogy to help her see her folly.

When schools celebrate Xmas etc, the values (spirituality, celebration, family etc) they are celebrating are not one that I particularly disagree with for my kids at any age even though I am not a Xtian.

But when a school celebrates Valentines, the values (amorosity) they are celebrating is one I would rather my kids are not instigated to join in until they reach a particular age.

So it is RIDICULOUS to come with such simplistic 'well they celebrate other things so it "ain't no thing" if they made to celebrate valentines'. It is not about the celebration, it is about the values espoused.

And she finally got that (I think), when I gave her an example of one with a value that she did not approve of and was not funky enough for her. So celebrations are not just about celebrations, we should look at the values under-pinning it.

Next time, people should bring intellectual analogies to me. One they can defend.
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Feb 17, 2013
IYA NGBALI: the more reason whe world is upside down today

You mean your world ? Cos everything is O okay here cool
3rd mainland bridge is on the verge of collapsing, poverty is spiking by secs, no constant power, kidnapping like no tomorrow, scams shocked isn't that enough topsy turvy ?... tend to that first before ranting here. Mtchewww
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 17, 2013
Sagamite:

And she finally got that (I think), when I gave her an example of one with a value that she did not approve of and was not funky enough for her. So celebrations are not just about celebrations, we should look at the values under-pinning it.

Lmao! Someone's really in pain isn't it? See bitter epistle!! shocked grin grin

First of all, I did not answer anymore because the previous answer was more than adequate. As a matter of fact you pretty much just used a million words to say the exact same thing I said in my answer. Lol grin

Second, the point you were trying to 'trap' me into shining with is a failed one. It's blown apart by the fact that 'amorosity' is NOT what is being celebrated in the toddler and preschool room.

Third, my answer to that question, as irrelevant an analogy as it is, is not no.

So yeah, your intellect is still questionable. grin

Oh! And they also celebrate Mother's Day, Father's Day .......... grin
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Sagamite(m): 3:13pm On Feb 17, 2013
ileobatojo:
Lmao! Someone's really in pain isn't it? See bitter epistle!! shocked grin grin

First of all, I did not answer anymore because the previous answer was more than adequate. As a matter of fact you pretty much just used a million words to say the exact same thing I said in my answer. Lol grin

Second, the point you were trying to 'trap' me into shining with is a failed one. It's blown apart by the fact that 'amorosity' is NOT what is being celebrated in the toddler and preschool room.

Third, my answer to that question, as irrelevant an analogy as it is, is not no.

So yeah, your intellect is still questionable. grin

Oh! And they also celebrate Mother's Day, Father's Day .......... grin

You seem to be delusional!

Sagamite being like Sagamite and writing like Sagamite is evidence Sagamite is bitter? undecided

Really? grin grin grin

You did not answer because you saw your folly and decided to dodge the question. Your first attempt was to attempt a strawman against SAGAMITE that has a strawman blocker permanently on.

ileobatojo:

That is the normal attempt of people that see their folly when Sagamite starts asking questions to test their logic. After that, they start dodging and refuse to answer the question while Sagamite repeats the question again and again because he knows they are intellectually stuck. Examples of such litter NL, I present one to you:

https://www.nairaland.com/1176158/sagamites-top-30-greatest-african/22#14121029

Your second point is actually silly considering I had already lectured you about kids growing up and learning what the date they are required to engage in is about. AND the fact the school required them to wear red. It does not take much brain power to figure out the significance of red is in our society. Lets even ignore the lack of necessity to make kids be part of such celebration.

Thirdly, now your answer is now a "No"? Be fooling yourself. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

The same person that probably almost convulse because of hearing their child will celebrate with Sango. grin
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Feb 17, 2013
Sagamite:

You did not answer because you saw your folly and decided to dodge the question.
D

I did not answer because I had answered you twice already and was not interested in going round and round in circles. The fact that you did not like my answer was not really my problem. Once again, the irony is that my answer was the exact same thing you said.

Your second point is actually silly considering I had already lectured you about kids growing up and learning what the date they are required to engage in is about. AND the fact the school required them to wear red. It does not take much brain power to figure out the significance of red is in our society. Lets even ignore the lack of necessity to make kids be part of such celebration

Once again amorosity is not being taught in the toddler/preschool room. I don't know what is my business with wearing red in school when you have not seen me expressly promote this. I'm talking about the candy exchange for little kids. Unless you're trying to tell me my kid is going to be a hyper sexualized teen because he was given red candy at the age of 4. grin

By the way, I think I have a solid point with the 'straw man' you quoted but going into that will derail the thread so I'm willing to leave it at that.

FYI there is no difference in concept between what you asked me and my question to you that you quoted, all na 'strawman'.

*I have strawman in inverted commas because neither question/response actually qualifies to be called a strawman, unless there is a brand new definition I am unaware of*
Re: Schools Asking Kids To Wear Valentine Clothes: Is It Necesarry? by Sagamite(m): 4:20pm On Feb 17, 2013
ileobatojo:

I did not answer because I had answered you twice already and was not interested in going round and round in circles. The fact that you did not like my answer was not really my problem. Once again, the irony is that my answer was the exact same thing you said.

Show me where you answered.

All I saw was strawmans and dodging.

ileobatojo:
Once again amorosity is not being taught in the toddler/preschool room. I don't know what is my business with wearing red in school when you have not seen me expressly promote this. I'm talking about the candy exchange for little kids. Unless you're trying to tell me my kid is going to be a hyper sexualized teen because he was given red candy at the age of 4. grin

You still don't get it in your head. I am going to try and put it an easy as possible bits and chunks to make it piss clear.

1) The day is generally accepted as a day of amorosity. A day of coupling. That is what Valentine's day is generally accepted to connotate.

2) Engaging kids and telling them to participate and wear red (the colour of desire) is quite very suspect on amorosity levels.

3) When these kids grow just a little more, they will know what this Valentine is all about and will feel obliged to continue practicing it at 11 years old or so because they were raised on it and practicing it. Are you at a point where you see the danger?

4) Kids do not need to engage in it. There is absolutely no sense (not much upside) in them being trained to engage in it. When we introduce things, we should try and introduce things for progress and enhancement, not just because others do it.

5) They can exchange candy, shokolate and epa & boli on another day, a day with different and more responsible symbolic connotations that does not risk indirectly sexualising them young.

It is not rocket science. It is really that simple!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

. / Igbo Boy's Names / How To Mend A Marriage After An Affair.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.