Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,837 members, 7,828,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:03 PM

You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! (7498 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Bella3(f): 4:01pm On Feb 19, 2013
^
Your post started well, but ended with a wonderful F9.

2 Likes

Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by RickTurnip: 4:34pm On Feb 19, 2013
There are many religions and no way to tell which one is true.
They can't all be true as they are contradictory.
I can look at Christianity and see talking snakes and people being swallowed by a whale. I think I would have to be a total idiot to believe that.
I can believe in a God, I have no problem with that. What I have a problem with is religion.
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Bella3(f): 4:38pm On Feb 19, 2013
Rick Turnip: There are many religions and no way to tell which one is true.
They can't all be true as they are contradictory.
I can look at Christianity and see talking snakes and people being swallowed by a whale. I think I would have to be a total idiot to believe that.
I can believe in a God, I have no problem with that. What I have a problem with is religion.
Your own sha better.
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 4:40pm On Feb 19, 2013
BĂ©lla3: ^
Your post started well, but ended with a wonderful F9.

sad Why not point out what you disagree with? HMm
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by rhymz(m): 5:01pm On Feb 19, 2013
1. MOSES' SWIFT PERSONALITY NUM 12:3 "Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the fact of the earth." NUM 31:14, 17 &18 "And Moses was wroth...And Moses said unto them, "Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman, ... But all the women children ... keep alive for yourselves." lol. . Wow, the meekest Man on earth gave these orders 2. JESUS' FIRST SERMON WAS IT ON THE PLAIN OR MOUNTAIN? MAT 5:1,2 "And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying...." LUK 6:17,20 "And he came down with them, and stood in the plain, and the company of his disciples, and a great multitude of people...came to hear him.. And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples and said..." 3. JESUS' LAST WORDS ON THE CROSS MAT 27:46,50 "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost." LUK 23:46 "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." JOHN 19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." 4. HOW MANY TIMES DID THE rooster CROW? MARK14:72 And the second time the rooster crew. And Peter called to mind the word that Jesus said unto him, Before the rooster crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he thought thereon, he wept. MAT 26:74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the rooster crew. MAT 26:75 And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the rooster crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly. LUK 22:60 And Peter said, Man, I know not what thou sayest. And immediately, while he yet spake, the rooster crew. LUK 22:61 And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter. And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said unto him, Before the rooster crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. JOH 13:38 Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The rooster shall not crow, still thou hast denied me thrice. JOH 18:27 Peter then denied again: and immediately the rooster crew 5. WHOM DIDI THEY SEE AT THE TOMB? MAT 28:2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. MAT 28:3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow: MAT 28:4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men. MAT 28:5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. MAR 16:5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted. LUK 24:4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments JOH 20:12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. God change? 6. YEARS OF FAMINE II SAMUEL 24:13: So God came to David, and told him, and said unto him, shall SEVEN YEARS OF FAMINE come unto thee in thy land? or will thou flee three months before thine enemies, while they pursue. thee? I CHRONICLES 21:11 SO God came to David, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Choose thee. Either THREE YEARS OF FAMINE or three months to be destroyed before thy foes, while that the sword of thine enemies overtaketh thee; Moved David to anger? II SAMUEL 24 And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah. I CHRONICLES 21 And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel. 7. DID THOSE WITH SAUL/PAUL HEAR A VOICE AT HIS CONVERSION? ACT 9:7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man. ACT 22:9 And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me. 8. HOW EXACTLY DID JUDAS DIE? MAT 27:5 "And he cast down the pieces of silver into the temple and departed, and went out and hanged himself." ACT 1:18 "And falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all of his bowels gushed out." 9. ASCENDING TO HEAVEN 2KI 2:11 "And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." JOH 3:13 "No man hath ascended up to heaven but he that came down from heaven, ... 10. WHO MOVED DAVID AGAINST ISREAL? II SAMUEL 24 And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah. I CHRONICLES 21 And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel. 11. THE SINS OF THE FATHER ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities. DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by rhymz(m): 5:05pm On Feb 19, 2013
rhymz: 1. MOSES' SWIFT PERSONALITY NUM 12:3 "Now the man Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the fact of the earth." NUM 31:14, 17 &18 "And Moses was wroth...And Moses said unto them, "Have ye saved all the women alive? ... Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman, ... But all the women children ... keep alive for yourselves." lol. . Wow, the meekest Man on earth gave these orders 2. JESUS' FIRST SERMON WAS IT ON THE PLAIN OR MOUNTAIN? MAT 5:1,2 "And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying...." LUK 6:17,20 "And he came down with them, and stood in the plain, and the company of his disciples, and a great multitude of people...came to hear him.. And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples and said..." 3. JESUS' LAST WORDS ON THE CROSS MAT 27:46,50 "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost." LUK 23:46 "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." JOHN 19:30: "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." 4. HOW MANY TIMES DID THE rooster CROW? MARK14:72 And the second time the rooster crew. And Peter called to mind the word that Jesus said unto him, Before the rooster crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he thought thereon, he wept. MAT 26:74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the rooster crew. MAT 26:75 And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the rooster crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly. LUK 22:60 And Peter said, Man, I know not what thou sayest. And immediately, while he yet spake, the rooster crew. LUK 22:61 And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter. And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said unto him, Before the rooster crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. JOH 13:38 Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The rooster shall not crow, still thou hast denied me thrice. JOH 18:27 Peter then denied again: and immediately the rooster crew 5. WHOM DIDI THEY SEE AT THE TOMB? MAT 28:2 And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. MAT 28:3 His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow: MAT 28:4 And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men. MAT 28:5 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. MAR 16:5 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted. LUK 24:4 And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments JOH 20:12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain. God change? 6. YEARS OF FAMINE II SAMUEL 24:13: So God came to David, and told him, and said unto him, shall SEVEN YEARS OF FAMINE come unto thee in thy land? or will thou flee three months before thine enemies, while they pursue. thee? I CHRONICLES 21:11 SO God came to David, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Choose thee. Either THREE YEARS OF FAMINE or three months to be destroyed before thy foes, while that the sword of thine enemies overtaketh thee; Moved David to anger? II SAMUEL 24 And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah. I CHRONICLES 21 And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel. 7. DID THOSE WITH SAUL/PAUL HEAR A VOICE AT HIS CONVERSION? ACT 9:7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man. ACT 22:9 And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me. 8. HOW EXACTLY DID JUDAS DIE? MAT 27:5 "And he cast down the pieces of silver into the temple and departed, and went out and hanged himself." ACT 1:18 "And falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all of his bowels gushed out." 9. ASCENDING TO HEAVEN 2KI 2:11 "And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven." JOH 3:13 "No man hath ascended up to heaven but he that came down from heaven, ... 10. WHO MOVED DAVID AGAINST ISREAL? II SAMUEL 24 And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah. I CHRONICLES 21 And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel. 11. THE SINS OF THE FATHER ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities. DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.
What can be more confusing and contradictory than these
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by ooman(m): 7:49pm On Feb 19, 2013
striktlymi:

#Always shying away from the truth.

you say am shying away from the truth when all am doing is preventing another fruitless debate. If you think you want to get it on, open a thread, call me in and i shall deal with you mercilessly.
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 7:53pm On Feb 19, 2013
honeychild:

Honestly, haven't you spent enough time on nairaland to have learnt that not all religious people are Christians.....and not all Christians pay a tithe?

Good evening honeychild,

Thanks for bringing this up! Saw the flaw with the argument that brought this up but decided to be silent about it cause it was just too obvious.
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 8:03pm On Feb 19, 2013
ooman:

you say am shying away from the truth when all am doing is preventing another fruitless debate. If you think you want to get it on, open a thread, call me in and i shall deal with you mercilessly.

Good evening ooman,

I guess you mistake my object for arguing whenever I decide to engage in it. I am not really concerned about 'winning' an argument and I am really less concerned if I or my opponent is being 'wooped'. However, I prefer to see a situation where two adults try to reason out a topic and try to understand each others point of view.

Opening a thread just for us to exhibit our ability or inability to argue appropriately sounds like a very fruitless venture to me. However, if a thread seeks to understand a point of view then I might just oblige you.

Thank you!
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by ooman(m): 8:06pm On Feb 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Good evening ooman,

I guess you mistake my object for arguing whenever I decide to engage in it. I am not really concerned about 'winning' an argument and I am really less concerned if I or my opponent is being 'wooped'. However, I prefer to see a situation where two adults try to reason out a topic and try to understand each others point of view.

Opening a thread just for us to exhibit our ability or inability to argue appropriately sounds like a very fruitless venture to me. However, if a thread seeks to understand a point of view then I might just oblige you.

Thank you!

You are just right. debating a matter should not be based on win/lose but finding the truth of a matter. we must all learn to be TRUE SEEKERS OF TRUTH.

Get it on then.
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by alexleo(m): 8:19pm On Feb 19, 2013
Logicboy03: Same empty barrel threads about atheism from christians every time.

How foolish of the OP not to give a clear example of the nonsensical arguments of Nairaland atheist.

Frankly, I am getting tired of this foolishness. Attack atheists on a thread with not one single shred of evidence to back your claims up.

shut up empty barrel.
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 8:28pm On Feb 19, 2013
alexleo:

shut up empty barrel.
smiley
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 19, 2013
Welcome muskeeto,

I understand that your post reflect your personal opinion on the matter but I do not agree with your concerns for obvious reasons.

musKeeto: @honey and Uyi: how una dey?

In my opinion, intelligence isn't related to religious beliefs.

The above is very correct and sooooooo on point. Intelligence has nothing to do with one's beliefs, unbeliefs or refusal to believe but rather on the individual's capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and other similar forms of mental activity. In other words intelligence can be seen as the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills. Though the post referred to the act of being 'smart' but this will do.

musKeeto:
But to question generally held beliefs, especially in the insanely religious country called Nigeria, requires more than an average IQ...

I do not accept the above because one need not be a genius to question religion...if there is anyone in religion who is yet to question his or her faith then I dare say the individual is yet to attain the 'age of reason'. I have questioned my faith many times...I actually started out as a pagan but when I accepted Christianity there were occasions where I have had cause to question my faith... the only difference between I and the average Atheist is in our conclusion.

I will agree with you if you say it takes courage to question one's fundamental beliefs but not that one would need to have an above average IQ to ask those questions.

musKeeto:
Are atheists generally smarter than theists? Yes.

The above cannot be objectively determined...like you said, its just your opinion and opinions are subject to sentiments. The act of being smart can only be treated on a case by case basis. It would be very wrong and fallacious to draw a general conclusion from a limited population.

musKeeto:
But most were once theists too. In my opinion, breaking off religious restrictions would only make one more knowledgeable, as in most cases,

Knowledge has nothing to do with ones beliefs,unbeliefs or a refusal to believe. I don't know what you mean by 'breaking off religious restrictions' but I know for a fact the religion (at least the one I practice) does not frown against the acquisition of knowledge.

musKeeto:
one would begin to explore more of the world with an aim to understand ad marvel at its complexities.

One need not be an Atheist to explore the world and understand its marvels.

musKeeto: It would be hard to convince me that losing faith donates a few points to your IQ...

The above is correct. Losing ones faith does not add to ones IQ or reduce it.
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 9:27pm On Feb 19, 2013
striktlymi:
Welcome muskeeto,
Good day striktlyu, cheesy

striktlymi:
I understand that your post reflect your personal opinion on the matter but I do not agree with your concerns for obvious reasons.

No wahala, shoot..

striktlymi:
The above is very correct and sooooooo on point. Intelligence has nothing to do with one's beliefs, unbeliefs or refusal to believe but rather on the individual's capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and other similar forms of mental activity. In other words intelligence can be seen as the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills. Though the post referred to the act of being 'smart' but this will do.

Glad we agree..

striktlymi:
I do not accept the above because one need not be a genius to question religion...if there is anyone in religion who is yet to question his or her faith then I dare say the individual is yet to attain the 'age of reason'. I have questioned my faith many times...I actually started out as a pagan but when I accepted Christianity there were occasions where I have had cause to question my faith... the only difference between I and the average Atheist is in our conclusion.

I will agree with you if you say it takes courage to question one's fundamental beliefs but not that one would need to have an above average IQ to ask those questions.
This is not to slight you, but your conclusion is not frowned upon in our society, though my initial statement applies to all religious Nigerians. Take Nl's frosbel as example. He's still a Christian, but you wouldn't find him on the same page with most Christians here...

For the atheist, it's different. To totally dismiss God is to throw off, in a sense, a strong support, especially for those who grew up in religious homes. It's to question and drop the very principles one had grown up with, and reconstruct new ones based on personal experience and reasoning, not dictated by any holy books. It's not an easy ride and not one for the faint at heart or IQ. It takes courage to break out, a well rounded reasoning to trudge on in the face of 'hopelessness/meaningless'..

striktlymi:
The above cannot be objectively determined...like you said, its just your opinion and opinions are subject to sentiments. The act of being smart can only be treated on a case by case basis. It would be very wrong and fallacious to draw a general conclusion from a limited population.
I partially agree with this, just one question though: is everything we accept objectively determined?

striktlymi:
Knowledge has nothing to do with ones beliefs,unbeliefs or a refusal to believe. I don't know what you mean by 'breaking off religious restrictions' but I know for a fact the religion (at least the one I practice) does not frown against the acquisition of knowledge.
Oh, religion can restrict acquisition of knowledge especially in some certain fields... Not in the mood to begin any church vs science arguments... I rarely have the strength for that..

striktlymi:
One need not be an Atheist to explore the world and understand its marvels.

The above is correct. Losing ones faith does not add to ones IQ or reduce it.
I agree, but when one becomes an atheist, one would usually be interested in discussing these rather than the usual 'endtimes' or 'god did it' answers...
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by truthislight: 9:46pm On Feb 19, 2013
@striktlymi

honestly, why was this part of this post not addressed?

nokia3310:

2. Insincerity - i.e. Worshiping God with the scriptures you know its not from him
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 9:54pm On Feb 19, 2013
truthislight: @striktlymi

honestly, why was this part of this post not addressed?

Good evening truthislight,

Sorry about that! I felt some things are quite straight forward and a lot have been said on them in some other threads. But if you feel it needs to be addressed, I will be most grateful if you would help address it please.

Thank you!
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by truthislight: 10:14pm On Feb 19, 2013
@striktlymi

this is what happens when you forgot to addressed this the first time.

nokia3310:

Is it possible to discuss atheism without talking about the fallacies some ancient men compiled together and called it scriptures?
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by truthislight: 10:17pm On Feb 19, 2013
striktlymi:

Good evening truthislight,

Sorry about that! I felt some things are quite straight forward and a lot have been said on them in some other threads. But if you feel it needs to be addressed, I will be most grateful if you would help address it please.

Thank you!

Its your call guy.

Your thread also.

Besides, you are christian also.
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 10:28pm On Feb 19, 2013
Hmmmm...muskeeto I must give it to you...your post was very matured and sincere.

musKeeto:
Good day striktlyu, cheesy

No wahala, shoot..

Glad we agree..

smiley

musKeeto:
This is not to slight you, but your conclusion is not frowned upon in our society, though my initial statement applies to all religious Nigerians. Take Nl's frosbel as example. He's still a Christian, but you wouldn't find him on the same page with most Christians here...

Not slighted in the least...I appreciate sincerity and truth! People think and act differently...this really is not peculiar to any religion. Like the OP mentioned there are some Christians whose argument are quite baseless in my opinion but this does not mean that their thoughts or actions reflect what the majority of Christians on nairaland hold to be true. Like I mentioned these cases should be treated with respect to individuals rather than holding a group responsible for the actions of some persons.

musKeeto:
For the atheist, it's different. To totally dismiss God is to throw off, in a sense, a strong support, especially for those who grew up in religious homes. It's to question and drop the very principles one had grown up with, and reconstruct new ones based on personal experience and reasoning, not dictated by any holy books. It's not an easy ride and not one for the faint at heart or IQ. It takes courage to break out, a well rounded reasoning to trudge on in the face of 'hopelessness/meaningless'..

I agree with you on the above. It takes courage to question ones beliefs and attempt to start afresh and redefine everything about ones belief system. The truth is, I went through that process and arrived at a conclusion that there is God as against the Atheists refusal to believe. I believe in God because of some personal experiences and reason and not because of sacred scriptures. I believe firmly in what is written in sacred scriptures but this does not form the bases of my acceptance of God. I am of the opinion that every Christian should be able to boast of a personal experience and not some experience dictated to them by some 'man of God'.

musKeeto:
I partially agree with this, just one question though: is everything we accept objectively determined?

Not everything we accept can be objectively determined.

musKeeto:
Oh, religion can restrict acquisition of knowledge especially in some certain fields... Not in the mood to begin any church vs science arguments... I rarely have the strength for that..

Well muskeeto I can't speak for other religions but the one I practice does not restrict knowledge. However, my religion restricts the application of some knowledge after its acquisition e.g the 'negative' use of nuclear technology is frowned at by Christianity.

musKeeto:
I agree, but when one becomes an atheist, one would usually be interested in discussing these rather than the usual 'endtimes' or 'god did it' answers...

Yes, the Atheist won't be interested in such discussions but this discuss is just the opinion of an individual who I believe should have a right to free speech to the extent that it is 'charitable'.

Thank you!
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 10:32pm On Feb 19, 2013
truthislight:

Its your call guy.

Your thread also.

Besides, you are christian also.

Well I agree that its my thread but really its hardly my call...any Christian is welcome to help out.

Thanks!
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by truthislight: 10:46pm On Feb 19, 2013
Smh.

Na wao!

More of it.
@striktlymi
you seems home and dry with this:

rhymz: if only they knew how greatly distorted the so-called "holy bible" is, they will drop it and start asking some daring questions ot currently forbids them from asking.
Like who wrote those individual books that gathered up to become the bible. Who turned them canonical, some God or the catholic priests? I was born a catholic, I know a lot about their bullshyts and invention. They own the bible and anything christianity has got to claim.
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by wiegraf: 6:42am On Feb 20, 2013
Personality is also relevant. I have an older thread on the MBTI

https://www.nairaland.com/1016120/religion-personality

I recommend taking the test sometime striktly if you haven't before, for some it's rather interesting.
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 6:59am On Feb 20, 2013
striktlymi:
Hmmmm...muskeeto I must give it to you...your post was very matured and sincere.
smiley
Not slighted in the least...I appreciate sincerity and truth! People think and act differently...this really is not peculiar to any religion. Like the OP mentioned there are some Christians whose argument are quite baseless in my opinion but this does not mean that their thoughts or actions reflect what the majority of Christians on nairaland hold to be true. Like I mentioned these cases should be treated with respect to individuals rather than holding a group responsible for the actions of some persons.
Whereas the atheists free to form opinions and beliefs without resorting to religious books/texts, the Christians are bound by their 'faith' to form opinions based on the Bible which they hold to be true. For the atheists (and even as a former Christian), it's amazing how different Christians can look at the same text and form different opinions based on it. The hypocrisy gets worse when one realises that these Christians all claim to be led by one Holy Spirit. The only belief majority of Christians hold to be true is the divinity of Christ.. Beyond that, it's an ocean of differing opinions, ideologies and doctrines..

striktlymi:
I agree with you on the above. It takes courage to question ones beliefs and attempt to start afresh and redefine everything about ones belief system. The truth is, I went through that process and arrived at a conclusion that there is God as against the Atheists refusal to believe. I believe in God because of some personal experiences and reason and not because of sacred scriptures. I believe firmly in what is written in sacred scriptures but this does not form the bases of my acceptance of God. I am of the opinion that every Christian should be able to boast of a personal experience and not some experience dictated to them by some 'man of God'.
Lol, beyond the atheist-christian labels, I feel we share the same views on most subjects. I totally agree that one can only be led to 'God' AND hold on to his 'beliefs' despite evidence to the contrary based on personal experience, one devoid of human intervention or manipulation. I personally am open to such experiences. I do not want to believe that this is all there's. Nevertheless, I'm quite wary of 'faith - belief in the unseen'... Logic and reason are my best and only survival tools for now. A personal experience might change all that. cheesy

striktlymi:
Not everything we accept can be objectively determined.
Good. Next question: on what threads on NL's religion section are you more likely to view comments that are downright idiotic? grin Just be honest wink

striktlymi:
Well muskeeto I can't speak for other religions but the one I practice does not restrict knowledge. However, my religion restricts the application of some knowledge after its acquisition e.g the 'negative' use of nuclear technology is frowned at by Christianity.
Come on, Adam and Eve were not allowed to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil grin They were punished for doing so.. cheesy

striktlymi:
Yes, the Atheist won't be interested in such discussions but this discuss is just the opinion of an individual who I believe should have a right to free speech to the extent that it is 'charitable'.
Lol, this guy...

Thank you..

EDIT:
Consider this an atheistimony from the front page... https://www.nairaland.com/1196961/what-when-prayer-praises-fail/3#14398650
onyekabe: you have said it all. I stop believing God when non of my payers was answedred. As a kid Prayed to be very intelligent, coupled with hardwork at the end i was just like any other kid that worked hard, in university days i cant open my book without prayer, yet i was not the best, after graduation I also prayed for good job yet no answer until i decide to disbelieve in any deity or God. but today I an a successful biz man. Without God
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 8:45am On Feb 20, 2013
wiegraf: Personality is also relevant. I have an older thread on the MBTI

https://www.nairaland.com/1016120/religion-personality

I recommend taking the test sometime striktly if you haven't before, for some it's rather interesting.

Good morning wiegraf,

Why do you think one's personality trait is important to the present discuss? Anyways, I took the test and found out that I am *NT*..sorry, I don't want to reveal everything.

Thanks!
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 8:49am On Feb 20, 2013
striktlymi:

Good morning wiegraf,

Why do you think one's personality trait is important to the present discuss? Anyways, I took the test and found out that I am *NT*.. sorry, I don't want to reveal everything.

Thanks!
Not nice...
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by wiegraf: 9:08am On Feb 20, 2013
striktlymi:

Good morning wiegraf,

Why do you think one's personality trait is important to the present discuss? Anyways, I took the test and found out that I am *NT*..sorry, I don't want to reveal everything.

Thanks!

Just about every regular, especially the atheists, would be NT. You argue for sport and enjoy logic, you're an obvious NT, possibly NF. I'm going with introvert. You're probably INTP like me, only other options are ENTP or INTJ.

It's relevant to bits like this:

musKeeto:

The bold are basically traits you'd find more in NTs than in others. In fact, some would say you don't have a strong inclination to these then you're not NT. Basically though, what I'm trying to say is some people associate IQ to religiosity but they may be getting it wrong, or half wrong. It could also be that it's personality that's linked to religiosity; NTs just happen to have the highest IQs because that's what we like to focus on, the abstract and its problems, as opposed to real day mundane stuff. Many NTs are good with that but completely inept at daily life stuff, the reverse being true for the Sensors.

As for the main meat of the discussion, I don't have time now but I'll just state for now that IQ is not the only type of intelligence. Also, of course you're right, quite a few people generalize and stereotype. Same way most xtians would claim to have a higher IQ than the average muslim, with neutrals agreeing. Obviously that's not always the case, snap judgements are usually silly etc etc meh meh
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by wiegraf: 9:12am On Feb 20, 2013
musKeeto:
Not nice...

Heheheheh
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 10:06am On Feb 20, 2013
Good morning muskeeto,

musKeeto:
Whereas the atheists free to form opinions and beliefs without resorting to religious books/texts, the Christians are bound by their 'faith' to form opinions based on the Bible which they hold to be true.

The above is very true but for one small detail...Not every Christian learn their faith from sacred scriptures (at least I don't). Like I said, I believe firmly in sacred scriptures and I believe firmly that it is inspired and the individual christian can indeed learn a lot from it's use if he or she knows how to use it. Sadly though, very few know how to put it to good use. I have seen a lot of abuse of sacred scriptures from Christians because of this lack of proper use.

Forming an opinion based on sacred scriptures is really not very different from forming an opinion based on right conscience. I believe that our conscience is one way God communicates with humans. This is the tool God 'hardwired' into every human being in the event that we have lost our way. One might not find his or her way back to religion but this communication between God and man does not stop...so in right conscience, if one forms an opinion then it should not be fundamentally different from the Christian point of view in most cases.

musKeeto:
For the atheists (and even as a former Christian), it's amazing how different Christians can look at the same text and form different opinions based on it.

Well muskeeto, I am of the opinion that your experience as a christian should tell you that sacred scriptures can be manipulated to suit an individuals personal 'ambition' and 'goal'. Not every Christian knows how to interpret and apply sacred scriptures like I have mentioned before. Reading sacred scriptures is not exactly like studying pure science and like many works of art, it is subject to individual manipulation. However, there is the right way to the study of sacred scriptures.

musKeeto:
The hypocrisy gets worse when one realises that these Christians all claim to be led by one Holy Spirit.

Yea, you are right some Christians can act hypocritical sometimes but it does not mean that every Christian is a hypocrite. There are some who are very sincere in their practice and beliefs...not everyone who claims to be lead by the spirit is actually being lead. Some individuals only prey on the 'blind faith' of some christians and that's why the ability to discern another's intentions is very critical in being a Christian.

musKeeto:
The only belief majority of Christians hold to be true is the divinity of Christ.. Beyond that, it's an ocean of differing opinions, ideologies and doctrines..

Some Christians do not believe that Christ is God.

musKeeto:
Lol, beyond the atheist-christian labels, I feel we share the same views on most subjects. I totally agree that one can only be led to 'God' AND hold on to his 'beliefs' despite evidence to the contrary based on personal experience, one devoid of human intervention or manipulation. I personally am open to such experiences. I do not want to believe that this is all there's. Nevertheless, I'm quite wary of 'faith - belief in the unseen'... Logic and reason are my best and only survival tools for now. A personal experience might change all that. cheesy

I hope your experience comes sooner than later...not that every Atheist is damned but the experience is a 'nice to have'. wink

musKeeto:
Good. Next question: on what threads on NL's religion section are you more likely to view comments that are downright idiotic? grin Just be honest wink

Haven't done a research into this but from my personal experience in this section, I will say I have seen more 'silly' threads from those in religion (especially Christians). This however does not undermine the fact that I have seen very silly threads and posts from non-christians (including Atheists).

musKeeto:
Come on, Adam and Eve were not allowed to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil grin They were punished for doing so.. cheesy

Well Adam and Eve were supposed to live free from any guilt...just like children. Take for instance, a 'toddler'...if a 'toddler' pours acid on you, there won't be any court on this Earth that will judge the case...let alone find the 'toddler' guilty.

Adam and Eve were supposed to live like this without having to feel guilty or be guilty of anything. The "apple" from the "tree of life" was supposed to take away this 'innocence'. Being innocent can free one from every punishment irrespective of the individuals actions cause there is room for deniability. Ever wondered why the devil can't be forgiven while humans were forgiven when they 'fell' and this forgiveness is an on-going process?

Not having to feel guilty about anything affords Adam and Eve the opportunity to delve into whatever sphere of knowledge without being held accountable for any actions that comes from it.

musKeeto:
Lol, this guy...

Thank you..

EDIT:
Consider this an atheistimony from the front page... https://www.nairaland.com/1196961/what-when-prayer-praises-fail/3#14398650

Can't really comment on Mr. Onyekabe's testimony because I don't know the circumstances behind his beliefs when he was into religion and what exactly lead him out but it seems to me that he got the wrong notion of prayer.

Thanks!
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by jayriginal: 6:28pm On Feb 20, 2013
striktlymi:

Wrong! Not every word in sacred scriptures is meant to be taken literally. An understanding of it is very important! This is why those who want to use it as a basis to explain creation, the geography of the earth etc will always get it wrong.

Who then gets to decide which is literal and which isnt ?

When two people disagree on a passage/issue (two notable examples being tithing and trinity disputes on nairaland) who is correct ?
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 20, 2013
jayriginal:

Who then gets to decide which is literal and which isnt ?

When two people disagree on a passage/issue (two notable examples being tithing and trinity disputes on nairaland) who is correct ?

Good evening Jay,

I would have loved to answer your questions but this would take a very long time to explain and I really want to spare you a lengthy theological discussion.

Thanks!
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by ooman(m): 8:58am On Feb 21, 2013
waiting for the thread, striky tongue tongue
Re: You Think You Are Smart Because Your Are An Atheist?...oh Please!!! by Nobody: 11:28am On Feb 21, 2013
ooman: waiting for the thread, striky tongue tongue
Right back at you!grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Is the gospel free or costly? . How Do You See It? / Meta-physics/ Kabbalah/ Egregores/geometry / Habits, Sins And the Amazing Grace of GOD.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.