Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,961 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:58 PM

From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex (31420 Views)

Construction Diary Of A Semi Detached Bungalow At Ikorodu / From Paper To Brick: A Journal Of Construction Activities / Why Do People Prefer To Give Their Building Project To Brick Layers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by mufutau55(m): 4:08pm On Apr 05, 2013
This guy named "Brabus" is good. Wish I had money to retain him as my Builder. Hope is not lost yet though.

Hajji mufutau
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 6:17pm On Apr 05, 2013
Thanks Hajji for the compliment. You inspired us to do more.

@Big Bros ahf, I'll have time to share my opinion on different window types later on this thread today or tomorrow morning. I'm in transit right now.

To the uttermost dismay of many friends and followers on this thread, I prefer and actually chose sliding window over casement. Why?

Follow for more update on this thread.
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 6:35pm On Apr 05, 2013
Construction Update

Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 5:55pm On Apr 08, 2013
It's 42 days today!

Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 6:15pm On Apr 08, 2013
See how far our semi-detached duplex has come! Photo galleries of construction since 27th February 2013 can be viewed on our Facebook page.

Our construction team has been hard at work during these past weeks and continues to make good progress. Of course, there's a very good reward for this.

Penalties and Rewards:

•You get another project if you meet the timeline and ensure a smooth running of the project.

•You lose 5% of the total sum if you fail in delivering at the expected timeline (May 1st, 2013).

Coming Soon!!! Jakande Multi-Dwelling Unit

Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 4:35pm On Apr 10, 2013
Work in progress

Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 10, 2013
brabus: Thanks Hajji for the compliment. You inspired us to do more.

@Big Bros ahf, I'll have time to share my opinion on different window types later on this thread today or tomorrow morning. I'm in transit right now.

To the uttermost dismay of many friends and followers on this thread, I prefer and actually chose sliding window over casement. Why?

Follow for more update on this thread.

I am still looking forward to your opinion on casement windows vs sliding windows.
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 10:01am On Apr 11, 2013
payless:

I am still looking forward to your opinion on casement windows vs sliding windows.

Windows (whether sliding, casement or projected) have two purposes in a house.
1. To admit natural light in the daytime
2. To allow natural ventilation when opened.

However, in my own opinion, it doesn't have to be overly expensive to get these basic functionalities.

To catch and direct the breezes into the house, living areas should be positioned on the side of the house facing where breezes come from. It doesn't matter if you are using casement or sliding windows.
If the orientation of the house is wrong, the choice of window is not going to affect or improve the airflow.

In my own designs, I try as much as possible to have many shaded external openings to the living areas. This will ensure that the breezes channelled through into the house are not affected by hot surfaces surrounding the house.

Casement windows are designed to open outward and as a result of the design, the windows can’t be too large or too heavy. I'm having 7 (1200 x 1800) sliding windows in my living room large enough to provide much needed ventilation and lighting without sacrificing the cool breezes coming from the shaded relaxation areas (terrace) around the living room and not having to half the size of the terrace as a result of windows opening outward. And more importantly, not breaking bank.
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 10:41am On Apr 11, 2013
The choice of casement or sliding windows is a matter of taste and function.

Sliding windows are my preferred choice to use between two living spaces because they don't take up space when open.
In my personal opinion and in my case 'cos I'm building a house with a wraparound terrace, I choose functionality over beauty.
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 12:46pm On Apr 11, 2013
The durability of any structure is only by quality construction, patience, quality of materials and devotion to the profession by all from Labourer to Project Engineer.

-- NextHome Builders
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by mufutau55(m): 2:38pm On Apr 11, 2013
brabus: The durability of any structure is only by quality construction, patience, quality of materials and devotion to the profession by all from Labourer to Project Engineer.

-- NextHome Builders

One of the most sensible quotes I have ever read. True to that Brabus, true to that.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by segcymoor(m): 10:42pm On Apr 11, 2013
Good argument. But the fact remains that casement window is in vogue. Unarguably, casement enhance aesthethic of the building and I tell u tend to last longer if properly fixed....but the quetion is: either casement or sliding, how many window left open in this day of AC. Oga brabus, I respect ur opinion on preferance for slinding but my advise for u is that u may need to seek the consent of ur client before fixing slinding so that their wont be misunderstanding as most client prefer elegant to 'functionality'

1 Like

Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by Sprumbaba: 4:09am On Apr 12, 2013
I actually dont like casement window. I can mix and match in my building sha.Casement upstairs, Sliding downstairs.
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 7:22am On Apr 12, 2013
segcy.moor:
Good argument. But the fact remains that casement window is in vogue. Unarguably, casement enhance aesthethic of the building and I tell u tend to last longer if properly fixed....but the quetion is: either casement or sliding, how many window left open in this day of AC. Oga brabus, I respect ur opinion on preferance for slinding but my advise for u is that u may need to seek the consent of ur client before fixing slinding so that their wont be misunderstanding as most client prefer elegant to 'functionality'

Thanks. Point well noted
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by topsy23: 9:52am On Apr 12, 2013
For Your Electrical Design And Installation that meet IEE standard and Maintenance:
-Preparation of bill of Engineering Evaluation and Measurement also known as BOQ
-Conduit system of wiring
-Surface Wiring
-Trunking system of wiring
-Change-over panel
-Electrical panel
-Isolators
-Cables
Electrical wiring accessories e.g switches and sockets of any type etc

PLUMBING
-Water closet, wash hand basin, Installation of tanks, Water treatment plant, borehole

For further info call 08033643191 or 08051750560
Email; atope23@live.co.uk or ababatope2003@yahoo.com
My BB pin: 28F558FE
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by Chekitaut: 10:46am On Apr 12, 2013
Cement, Granite, Iron rod, Concrete work wood, Vibrated Granite Block all Building materials at wholesales price.

Count on Us @ Chekitaut Nig. & Co.
08055545355, 08032887233, 08025392565

Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by pmbaba: 11:23am On Apr 12, 2013
Pls i need an estimate cost of building a 10bedroom duplex to the finishing level,from foundation to roofing,including painting,on a plot of land ,6-up,4-down,all rooms ensuit in Ebonyi state...
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 11:43am On Apr 12, 2013
pm_baba: Pls i need an estimate cost of building a 10bedroom duplex to the finishing level,from foundation to roofing,including painting,on a plot of land ,6-up,4-down,all rooms ensuit in Ebonyi state...

Sir, thanks for your time on this thread. I'll advice you to forward your request to Spyder880 <ckenneths@yahoo.co.uk>

He's more familiar with that terrain. Thanks once again.
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by Demainman1: 1:18pm On Apr 12, 2013
pm_baba: Pls i need an estimate cost of building a 10bedroom duplex to the finishing level,from foundation to roofing,including painting,on a plot of land ,6-up,4-down,all rooms ensuit in Ebonyi state...

Waoh!! 10-bedroom duplex? isn't that too big?
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by mufutau55(m): 2:35pm On Apr 12, 2013
Demain_man:

Not really, if you have the money to fund it.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by ahf(m): 5:58am On Apr 13, 2013
brabus: The choice of casement or sliding windows is a matter of taste and function.

Sliding windows are my preferred choice to use between two living spaces because they don't take up space when open.
In my personal opinion and in my case 'cos I'm building a house with a wraparound terrace, I choose functionality over beauty.

In situations of need to open windows (PHCN failure etc), sliding windows only open half (one side) and that limits air flow
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 5:15pm On Apr 13, 2013
Chateau de Brabus, Sagamu, Ogun State

Land Cost - N1,100,000
Build Cost - N6,000,000 (Carcass only)

-- NextHome Builders

Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 13, 2013
brabus: Chateau de Brabus, Sagamu, Ogun State

Land Cost - N1,100,000

-- NextHome Builders

Did you have a thread for this house when you started building it? I recalled you had something going on long time ago about a house in Ijebu around 2011. Or was it someone else?
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by Sprumbaba: 7:18pm On Apr 13, 2013
Demain_man:

Not really if you have 3 to 4 wives
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 8:20pm On Apr 13, 2013
payless:

Did you have a thread for this house when you started building it? I recalled you had something going on long time ago about a house in Ijebu around 2011. Or was it someone else?

I don't have a thread for the house. I only post some of the construction pics on Spyder's thread. It's still a work in progress
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 8:23pm On Apr 13, 2013
Back to the topic. We pour the concrete for the lintels and columns on the upper floor today and bricklayers did their thing afterwards.

Work resumes next Monday with the concrete fascia and the roofing woodwork.

Happy Weekend!
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by Nobody: 9:16pm On Apr 13, 2013
brabus:

I don't have a thread for the house. I only post some of the construction pics on Spyder's thread. It's still a work in progress
I recalled that back in 2011.
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by Chekitaut: 8:49am On Apr 14, 2013
brabus: Back to the topic. We pour the concrete for the lintels and columns on the upper floor today and bricklayers did their thing afterwards.

Work resumes next Monday with the concrete fascia and the roofing woodwork.

Happy Weekend!
Let me supply you your roofing wood at affordable price.
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by jam04(m): 5:35pm On Apr 16, 2013
Good work you have going on here..if you ever need a bulk supplier of granite stones and sand, do not hesitate to try us out. we will convince you. we have accounts with quarry owners in Ogun state and we move with our dedicated trucks.

Oluseye Olayiwola
Penthouse Nigeria Ltd
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by brabus(m): 5:43pm On Apr 16, 2013
Urgent Request!

We need 30 loads of filling sand at Lekki Scheme II, off Ogombo road.

If you're interested, please call 08023429122.

Terms: Cash on Delivery
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by mufutau55(m): 6:31pm On Apr 16, 2013
brabus: Chateau de Brabus, Sagamu, Ogun State
Land Cost - N1,100,000
-- NextHome Builders

OK. Uncle Brabus.. Simple question.. How many bedrooms is that " Chateau de Brabus, Sagamu, Ogun State"?
Thanks.

Hajji Mufutau
Re: From Paper To Brick: Construction Of A Semi-detached Duplex by Sprumbaba: 6:49pm On Apr 16, 2013
brabus: Urgent Request!

We need 30 loads of filling sand at Lekki Scheme II, off Ogombo road.

If you're interested, please call 08023429122.

Terms: Cash on Delivery
Let me do this. Someone will call you asap.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ikoyi Collapsed Building: 15 Floors Was Approved But Owner Built 21 – Agency / Sure and better deals...bend Down And Select!!! / Osamede Adun's Complex In Benin Demolished By Authorities (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.