Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:41 PM

What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews (9565 Views)

Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews / Wearing Jeans And Shirt To Corporate Meetings And Interviews. How Reasonable?. / : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by alfredo4u(m): 12:20pm On Mar 19, 2013
eat a little of garri and draw soup. It wil make u flow witout stamarin. I stammered too, just my secret.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by harlos: 12:31pm On Mar 19, 2013
abiki: Well, anxiety will only heighten it. Just be calm on the day of the interview. Don't be in a hurry to answer the questions. Be patient with yourself and say what you want to say, pause for a moment before you start to speak. Do not force the words, it just makes them harder to say. I wish you the best
wow! I love this one cos even if you are not a stammerer you would without your confidence.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by BlackPeni5: 12:42pm On Mar 19, 2013
A stammerer should just go to the interview with pre-recorded answers irrespective of the questions they ask.

Bone face, look at them...and press play.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by Dthespian: 12:52pm On Mar 19, 2013
If he/she is a guru and d grades speaks out loud,den he gets d job. makes it better if he does not need lots of talking @ d job.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by Stalemate(m): 12:54pm On Mar 19, 2013
tellwisdom: Bro, drink one full bowl of hot oil and you would be fine during interview angry angry
Bro..., u wan kill am? So dat hin troat go fry wella abi shocked
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by 3kay945(m): 1:01pm On Mar 19, 2013
Denn:

so he should not say "i...i....lai..lai...like...your...yourr...toh...toh....toe"?

smiley

I didn't get what that dude meant until I saw this,.. funny.

@Op,
The truth is just be calm and DON'T SEE IT AS DO OR DIE otherwise you will fucckkupp, and incase you find it difficult to pronounce a particular word pls, calmly look for a synonym or alike sentence.
If keeping eye contact seem difficult, use gesture and look away grin simple.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by InvertedHammer: 1:03pm On Mar 19, 2013
Avoid any question that involves saying crocodile or hippopotamus.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by 3kay945(m): 1:06pm On Mar 19, 2013
Black Peni5: A stammerer should just go to the interview with pre-recorded answers irrespective of the questions they ask.

Are you serious at all? when the guy is not Mr. Bean.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by perragy(m): 1:17pm On Mar 19, 2013
honey86: i also stammer. what i usually do is that, i envision that every other person in that roomis below me, since im d one standing in the front grin. it works wink.i would suggest that you take on more public speaking responsibilities.

absolutely correct... Grade A cure.... i was a victim of this stammering problem but 99% cured with over 15 years guarantee grin
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by yemmy19(m): 1:18pm On Mar 19, 2013
Black Peni5: A stammerer should just go to the interview with pre-recorded answers irrespective of the questions they ask.

Oro buruku toun terin........i will neva forget dis joke grin grin cheesy
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by emilyone(f): 1:19pm On Mar 19, 2013
InvertedHammer:

LWKMD!
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by condralbede(m): 1:20pm On Mar 19, 2013
Just follow it d way U did it on ur prjct defence day,..from dat rslt U got after ur defence(A,B;C or D) wil surely determine ur fate now..
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by DonaldGenes(m): 1:20pm On Mar 19, 2013
dedons: Psycolgically,if he he he he he is is is is is co-co-confide-de-de-de-de-dent in himself,he'lld stammer less............................

Note-:no matterr how long it takes a stammerer,he'll stil pronounce his father's name
Lollll
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by ayodot(m): 1:26pm On Mar 19, 2013
InvertedHammer:

u mean croco-crocooo-cro-crococro-o-o-o-dile

on a serious note, just inform them u stammer a little. I think will boost ur confidence, cause u know they already know. A man already down fears no fall
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by madjune(m): 1:35pm On Mar 19, 2013
You can do it. If u work on your speech overtime, you will sound differently but uniquely. Interviewers can only say, where is he from? Or, he dey form. Just carry on. It happened to me.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by FlyinSaucer: 1:36pm On Mar 19, 2013

U've overkilled dis. WTF?
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by josite: 1:37pm On Mar 19, 2013
dont worry about ur stammering.one or 2 influential persons on the interview panel will either have been a stammerer before or has someone very close as a stamerrer and it is usually these folks that will ensure that you are not disqualified on the basis of stameering.i was a stammerrer and i got good grades and good jobs all the way.but u must learn to let ur cv and good grades speaks for u by presenting them well in a written form and when u have the opportunity to write.let it radiates your brilliancy.mko abiola was a stammerer and the best and richest accountant ITT has ever had.it is well wit u.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by ghetomum: 1:57pm On Mar 19, 2013
OGA ON THE TOP MAY CONSIDER HE/SHE
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by masks(m): 2:02pm On Mar 19, 2013
I'm also a mild stamerer too. But it didn't stop me from actually beating 6 guys to a marketing job when it came to one on one interview. The things is always let you interviewer know about this deficiency. Then try not to be tensed cos its worse if you get tensed. Then your knowledge too vindicates you. Always pause for some seconds before answering a question posed at you. Start slow but not very slow when talking. And always take a deep breadth and you good to go. Hope I've said something worthy?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by Adanyebe(m): 2:03pm On Mar 19, 2013
STAMMERERS AND STUTTERS SHOULD PRACTICE FEW TIPS ON RAPPING BEFORE INTERVIEW
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by masks(m): 2:03pm On Mar 19, 2013
ayodot:

u mean croco-crocooo-cro-crococro-o-o-o-dile

on a serious note, just inform them u stammer a little. I think will boost ur confidence, cause u know they already know. A man already down fears no fall
. Really? BAF
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by benzion72(m): 2:21pm On Mar 19, 2013
Being a stammerer is not your making. But the explanation for stammering is that your brain is faster than your mouth. All you do is listen to your brain and keep your cool. You can overcome it if you will allow your brain to harmonise with your mouth

1 Like

Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by Toppiano(m): 2:26pm On Mar 19, 2013
dedons: Psycolgically,if he he he he he is is is is is co-co-confide-de-de-de-de-dent in himself,he'lld stammer less............................

Note-:no matterr how long it takes a stammerer,he'll stil pronounce his father's name

Is this an advice ni?
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by Costa2000(m): 2:27pm On Mar 19, 2013

Is this a joke or what?,
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by Toppiano(m): 2:33pm On Mar 19, 2013
While working for a recruitment agency, I once interviewed a stammerer, I tell you it was tough. She didnt perform badly though
We couldn't get her a job on time she came back after some time to fight. She was furious and that made the situation worse. Even my oga at the top could not help it. I felt for her but could do nothing lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by cr7lomo: 2:38pm On Mar 19, 2013
Its nt about d interview , its abt workin on urself cos wot happens if u get d job nd u stil stammer
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by sunnyt1(m): 3:01pm On Mar 19, 2013
benzion72: Being a stammerer is not your making. But the explanation for stammering is that your brain is faster than your mouth. All you do is listen to your brain and keep your cool. You can overcome it if you will allow your brain to harmonise with your mouth

No one had been able to explain the technics of starmmering like u jst did, guy, u have my respect, please step out to recieve a hand shake.

@ Poster, try to speak as slow as u can, dnt make it look funny bt you can rehearse it overtime, it works wonders, thou it cud be difficult to adapt to
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by olabode89(m): 3:21pm On Mar 19, 2013
Bro, i'm also a stammerer and i would like to inform you that it does not limit your chances in any way. I currently work with one of the big 4 and had interviews with three of them. I think it improves your chances because the interviewer might sometimes interprete a bolt of anxiety/tension as your regular stammering. Look on the bright side bro.. sound smart and convincing, speak gently, research about the firm and lastly dont act as if the interview is our last resort(dont act like a spoilt brat o...lols).

BODMANIA>>>>
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by valboy20(m): 4:06pm On Mar 19, 2013
@op

i noticed dat i stammerx mostly wen tensed up n also wen i'm galled...xo jux try n grab sum copiex of confidence..jux feel lyk ur younger brother asked u a query n ya 'll even flow mur than EMINEM
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by JisolaMar(f): 4:15pm On Mar 19, 2013
InvertedHammer:

my bro, its not just crocodile or hipopotamus; even my own surname gets stuck in my throat a lot of times. Oh ! i hate introducing myself those days....i used to stammer so badly...

lately, i am overcoming it. Two things have really helped.
1. more public speaking.
a. My local parish had a lot of ministers transfered lately and i have found myself on the roster to minster a no of times..even last wek tuesday...
b. I have taken up more roles in my office that reqires speaking publicly. i actually used 2 shy away from it. Incidentally, i noticed that the more i talk the better i get at it...
2. confidence in my achievements/subject matter of discussion
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by dahmie2013: 4:34pm On Mar 19, 2013
My bro, u dont have a problem. I talk fast too especially wen I'm passionate or I no dat thin well. 4 ur type, I think wen u have an int, be dere @ least 30mins b4 d time, so ur nerves will be calm cos if u're late,there are chances that u'll not make any sense @ dat int. Also, dont be in a haste to ans ques even if u no it, use dis style, like, if they ask u tell us abt urself, u can repeat the questn again with dat secnds u're trying 2 be relaxed. Also, u have to be organised cos, ur type if u forget nythin @ home, den u'll be nervous and begin 2 panic and that will affect u during the int&u'll be talking fast. Some ppl are very good @ managing crisis such dat it doesnt affect subsequent actions. But I dont think u're like dat&if u are good 4 u.Sure u'll get more on dis forum. Most importantly is the God factor, with God nothing is impossible, Mosses was a stammerer&see wat God made out of him.
Re: What Is The Fate Of A Mild Stammerer At Job Interviews by Neeyea: 4:37pm On Mar 19, 2013
I also stammer a little. One thing is this at the point of stammering you would know and feel.
It's may be bit of an issue if you're required to speak in a fast communication paced environment.
I try to calm down and make sure I drag purposely on some words which I don't stammer on so as to aide other words which I stammer on.
However if you sense stammering at your very first word, take a deep breath one or twice till you feel you're good to go...then slowly and quietly in a crescendo churn out the words with purposed breaks and pauses to check your self.
You also can apologize for the condition as they say. If they see how. well you've managed to curtail yourself for the first few moments..they may decide to change their minds and grade you succesfuly using other criteria - may be your dressing, writing, I.T skill etc. without pinning you down on the ailment.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Cry Of Nigeria Immigration Pensioneers / What Are The Career Options For A Mechanical Engineer? / 1.7 Million Nigerians Became Jobless In Nine Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.