Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,522 members, 7,958,583 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:03 PM

Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality (43031 Views)

Buhari Appoints Tax Chief With Fraudulent Degree - The FCT Post / Typical Nigerian Mentality / Nigerian Mentality: "Husband, Wife And Donkey" Comic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 12:40am On Mar 05, 2013
disboy:

Pure water is a very lucrative business and that amout stated above can comfortably start a pure water packaking coy.So u want to start big ba? Go and ask dangote howmuch he started with
talking of bottled pure water business, I know someone turning over 5-6 million naira / month in oshogbo,
Osun state. Dayokanu probably meant hawking business and not production.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 12:41am On Mar 05, 2013
Excellent piece by brother John Chikadibie Okafor

Finally, Nigeria is a beautiful country with a majority of the people willing to work to make a living. However, years of poor leadership and a docile citizenry have made living in Nigeria appear like being in hell. Believe me, there is everything stacked against you here, but the reality remains that you must be daring and be ready to get dirty to make a living here. Nigeria is the place to be. There are countless opportunities in Nigeria-we are not bad people, but our government is peopled by bad citizens.

by John Chikadibie Okafor.

^^^The paragraph above sums up everything wrong with Nigeria... The only way forward is for people back home to move Nigeria from the doldrums it's right now to at least a place where people abroad can see hope in the country's future and I'm sure most Nigerians in diaspora(born, raised, or have lived outside Nigeria for time) would be willing to come to play a part in taking Nigeria to where it actually belongs... There are many Nigerian professionals(both born abroad and those have lived abroad for a long time) who want to return home but no proactive human being will leave his comfort zone for uncertainty and people who are unwilling to change the status quo...

Which way Nigeria's bad leadership and docile citizens??

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Jarus(m): 12:42am On Mar 05, 2013
So many funny comments here rotflmao @ free readers chairman grin
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by disboy: 12:44am On Mar 05, 2013
nanidee:
This is a very nice post. I hate to be negative, but unfortunately, this is one of the main reasons Nigeria cannot move forward. They are just not interested!

Check the key people in some strategic positions (especially government related posts), they have no clue as to what is required of them. They are just 'placed' in those positions due to the fact that they happen to be in good standing with the 'main people'. It is just utterly appalling.

They are not really interested in getting people who can do the job. Just imagine one aboki, probably with maximum of an A level certificate, heading a major organisation, e.g Federal Mortgage Bank. Come on, what exactly would he know?

Nigeria is the way it is, because of bullshit like this. People are hardly employed based on merit, but on the basis of 'who they know'.

Wonders shall never cease angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

U are part of the problem we are talking about from ur example. If u were to b a in an interview board, if ubc sumbody from d north, u will just conclude that he is an illiterate not knowing that that there are very intelligent pple up north.With thisvur mentality, how will d country move forward?

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 12:45am On Mar 05, 2013
Olodostein: Rap Verse;

There is a place known to men of all creed and belief
Where to succeed,you have to be a snitch, in a ditch.
They say in every matter, money matters,not to bother,but to comply
To decide,u fit tell me how much you don pay for the air you breath with all that greed?
Objection sustain, by instinct,she discredit our merit to her credit.
We can't walk like a crab and fly like a bird
To survive today, must we put on a make-believe personality to belong?
In shade serene, dark sky above, i thought to myself,
When are we gonna wake up to reality and get along for what its worth?
What has happened to the true value system,that makes a nation great?
Our children are loosing hope, being under scope, dying inside,
wanting to hide, thinking nobody is there, living in fear.
We can't run away from our shit, claiming it doesn't smell....
Despite reality preaching, I see our skies blue, oceans clear,
Doves in soaring flocks on the horizon.
But we gonna wake up to reality and breath high!!......

2nd and 3rd verses on the way......Hitting airwaves soon cool cool....

This verse is heavy - only a Nas, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, or K.Dot can come up with something as dope as this...

Which tune is the verse from??
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 12:47am On Mar 05, 2013
Jarus:
So many funny comments here rotflmao @ free readers chairman grin

dayo is a clown!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by ocheejemb: 12:55am On Mar 05, 2013
Jarus: So many funny comments here.

Personally, I don't think it should be automatic that because you have a foreign degree, you should be automatically preferred to the locall-trained. This is why I like MNCs like Shell. They subject all of you to same selection process and pick who they consider the best (and interestingly, their final picks have always been balanced between local and foreign trained). I don't agree it should be automatic. If you do well in selection process, with your effizzy accent, you stand a very good chance. My guess is that you expected your search to be a walk in the park, for the simple reason that you have good foreign degree.

But like Ajanlekoko said, there are dwindling white collar jobs. If it was 2004-2008, I can bet you would have gotten many offers. I was spoilt for choices, got up to 4 offers 2007/2008. But I spent more than 1 year actively nosing before I was able to get a decent move last year. Things have changed. My friends that resigned from banks and went abroad for Msc's struggled to get another job when they came back. Not many jobs, too many qualified people competing for the few spaces.

Personally, I still hold that merit still works in Nigeria, especially in private sector. The connection thing is exaggerated in my opinion. It is not as bad as portrayed. I got my current job thru Guardian advert. My tight friends got jobs in Shell, Chevron, Addax without knowing anybody. These are good guys and merit is working for them.

Thanks for this.

First of all, even though getting a job isnt easy, it isnt only by virtue of connections. Private companies have nothing to gain by employing a mediocre son of a connection who will come and spoil business for them. I have scores of friends who did test, attended interviews and passed and are now working in Banks, Oil Companies, Telcos etc, and based on our 2.1/2.2 for Unilag o. Some people are lucky, some arent so lucky. I have a friend whose mum is a high level manager in a well paying government agency, he was well qualified for the job as well but wasnt even shortlisted for the first round.Honestly, though speaking with a dodgy accent, when the interviewer can see from your CV that you went abroad quite late in life isnt really a good way to endear yourself to them, especially if your CV isnt so spectacular that the company would be foolish not to hire you.

Second of all, this connection thing, forget, its everywhere. This is the entire premise that LinkedIn is based and thriving on. Its the same way everywhere, if you and another potential candidate have the same qualifications and experience then realistically who will get the single position. You the guy off the street or Me the guy whose Dad and the Manager of said company went to Secondary School together?

I think that the truth is that at the end of the day, there arent that many jobs and too many people equally qualified for them. If your foreign degree (which the OP conspicuously did not mention) isnt very directly applicable to the Nigerian Context and Economy, then you might struggle to find a job, even as those with degrees that are actually in demand are also struggling to find jobs.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 12:59am On Mar 05, 2013
Let me quickly drop some ancient mathematics using brother two lines from Olodostein's rap to buttress my point...

There is a place known to men of all creed and belief
Where to succeed,you have to be a snitch, in a ditch.

^^^^After studying how things work in Nigeria for the last 4years and asking people who visit the country regularly about how things work there... Nigeria is at his at the moment is definitely not the place for professionals who are seeking to make a living while contributing their own quota to the system... It's a jungle where you have to be criminal minded, and like MC Olodostein rightly put it: "to succeed,you have to be a snitch, in a ditch!"

So, if you can't be a "snitch," Nigeria is definitely not for you... That's why I can't be arsed with no NYSC fckery despite the pressure from my parents... I'd rather wait till I'm in my late 30s to try out some online based IT solutions in Nigeria...

May God help Nigeria...
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by ocheejemb: 1:00am On Mar 05, 2013
mba emeka: I can relate with the OP fulltime. The situation has seriously waned from Jarus time to now. I can say that because I'm from the latter era (most likely where the OP is coming from). To be fair, the MNC's still favour the foreign degrees but like Ajanlekoko and others have said the white collar job openings seem to have wizened over time even abroad.

Nepotism and cronism is still the order of the day (especially in the IOC's). These lot favour folks that have had some experience with them- either as an intern or as a contract staff. I experienced it with Exxon. After passing the Dragnet and skilltest phase(s) we where interviewed. In that time span I had a friend that served with them and was also retained as a contract staff that wrote the same tests. He didn't pass the skilltest (I know this because he confided in me and besides he's an intelligent lad that graduated with a first class degree in engineering from a Nigerian university) but his boss told him to relax that he'd contact the HR to see what he could do. Well, to cut a very long story short he got the job and has been chilling there ever since. The caveat here is that atleast the guy is pretty smart but the reality on ground is that he wouldn't have secured the job bereft of his bosses help. Its even noteworthy to add here that 3 others like himself (that served there too and were retained) got the same job. We just accepted it and moved on.

PS: the likes of SPDC, ADDAX have corroborating stories as such. Maybe in 2004-2008 it wasn't like that. But from 2009-till date. People experienced it. It gets easier after one has garnered some experience though. But its safer to know the Petroleum minister, VP, C-in-C and the likes. Its safest to know God. *wink wink*

I like this example. Your friend
A. graduated with a first class
B. did his IT there
C. had a good relationship with the boss

How much better qualifed for the job can he be, than the guy off the street who knows how to pass psychometric tests, which I hate with a passion because all they prove is that you have practiced them, and have nothing to do with your knowledge or mental capacity
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by coogar: 1:07am On Mar 05, 2013
shymexx: Let me quickly drop some ancient mathematics using brother two lines from Olodostein's rap to buttress my point...

^^^^After studying how things work in Nigeria for the last 4years and asking people who visit the country regularly about how things work there... Nigeria is at his at the moment is definitely not the place for professionals who are seeking to make a living while contributing their own quota to the system... It's a jungle where you have to be criminal minded, and like MC Olodostein rightly put it: "to succeed,you have to be a snitch, in a ditch!"

So, if you can't be a "snitch," Nigeria is definitely not for you... That's why I can't be arsed with no NYSC fckery despite the pressure from my parents... I'd rather wait till I'm in my late 30s to try out some online based IT solutions in Nigeria...

May God help Nigeria...

that country is kwashiorkored!
one must completely detach himself from ethics and morals to operate in most organisations.

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by TheBookWorm: 1:11am On Mar 05, 2013
That is why it is best to stay abroad if you get a degree in that country. The United States is very welcoming to those who majored in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineer, and Mathematics) field. Americans know how to appreciate those who major in critical fields. While nepotism is rife in Nigeria and many Nigerians who possess degrees from quality universities abroad come to realize that when they try to move back. It doesn't matter how much intelligence you have, the only thing that matters is the connections that you have.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by mrkoma2012: 1:11am On Mar 05, 2013
@op

Nowadays, even in the UK or US you will have to submit loads of applications to get an interview slot. I was also in your position in your2008 after graduating with a IT related degree from Brunel university, UK. I set up my own internet consulting firm in the UK with a £3000 loan from my parents. Today this same firm has a turnover of over £2million per annum and growing daily.Also, my younger brother currently works for Exxon Mobil in Nigeria and got the job on merit after over 50 rejection emails or letters from various oil & gas firms around the world he applied for.

My advice is simple education doesn't guarantee success. It is your determination ,skills set, adaptability , and a bit of luck that might give you a better chance of making something for yourself and future. I definitely know that Nigeria has something for you, but you will have to be innovative and creative to actualise it.

3 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 1:14am On Mar 05, 2013
shymexx:

This verse is heavy - only a [b]Nas, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, or K.Dot [/b]can come up with something as dope as this...

Which tune is the verse from??

You got game fella. Them homeboys are my inspirators. Their rap style tells the story. Unlike what we have on our airwaves today.

I wrote it comrade cool, just need a solid instrumental to buttress.

I love Nas rap style. The Gee is grounded. We need a Hip Hop revolution bro. Your deep insight on variety of issues is noteworthy cool ?
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nanidee(f): 1:21am On Mar 05, 2013
disboy:

U are part of the problem we are talking about from ur example. If u were to b a in an interview board, if ubc sumbody from d north, u will just conclude that he is an illiterate not knowing that that there are very intelligent pple up north.With thisvur mentality, how will d country move forward?

Sharaap dia and stop being cynical. The point in that example has a lot to do with the much talked about nepotism being one of the reasons qualified people are not able to land jobs for which they qualify.

Stop trying to make this into something its not, and please stop with the text speak. We are not sending text messages here tongue
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by InvertedHammer: 1:24am On Mar 05, 2013

Ok. Not to burst your bubbles...Is it that the barber has no skills or the razor is blunt?

I will blame Nigeria schools too. They do not prepare their graduates with job search
skills in terms of how to write good resume's (CV), interview skills, etc.

I was perusing through some desktop files in a cybercafe' one time and unluckily read
one lady's CV. I had to call her and implored her not to submit that CV to any company as it would
earn her automatic disqualification. I have seen CVs written with crossed-out words, erased
words and worst, words typed over a white-out portion. Goodness gracious! The packaging was
just outrageous.

If the person doesn't get the job, he/she will blame it on nepotism, uncle in the village,
witches and wizard.

A good number of job-seekers in Nigeria lack proper 'packaging' and I blame the Universities
for this trend.

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 1:26am On Mar 05, 2013
mrkoma2012: @op
Nowadays, even in the UK or US you will have to submit loads of applications to get an interview slot. I was also in your position in your2008 after graduating with a IT related degree from Brunel university, UK. I set up my own internet consulting firm in the UK with a £3000 loan from my parents. Today this same firm has a turnover of over £2million per annum and growing daily.Also, my younger brother currently works for Exxon Mobil in Nigeria and got the job on merit after over 50 rejection emails or letters from various oil & gas firms around the world he applied for.

My advice is simple education doesn't guarantee success. It is your determination ,skills set, adaptability , and a bit of luck that might give you a better chance of making something for yourself and future. I definitely know that Nigeria has something for you, but you will have to be innovative and creative to actualise it.

Interesting...

@ the bolded - what type of services does your firm offer and how do you get customers I'm planning to start something similar(networking and computer security), I've registered my company, got a domain name as well, and I'm currently building the website by myself... Money isn't a problem, I have got enough money to finance it - however, I need people who are have experience in that field to explain how it actually works...
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by An0nimus: 1:27am On Mar 05, 2013
Olodostein:

You got game fella. Them homeboys are my inspirators. Their rap style tells the story. Unlike what we have on our airwaves today.

I love Nas rap style. The Gee is grounded. We need a Hip Hop revolution bro. Your deep insight on variety of issues is noteworthy cool ?

una dey derail this thread..
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 1:28am On Mar 05, 2013
coogar:

that country is kwashiorkored!
one must completely detach himself from ethics and morals to operate in most organisations.

Lmao...

The best way is to offer online services without actually living there... Or organise seminars and visit probably a few times in a year - the system isn't for sane minds looking to lead a normal life...
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 1:31am On Mar 05, 2013
An0nimus:
una dey derail this thread..

The guy just posted the most beautiful poem/rap-verse ever which sums up everything wrong with Nigeria and all you can think of is 'derailing the thread', no? Why can't you use your brain cells to decipher his lyrics, pay homage to the genius, and respect his ingenuity?? undecided

1 Like

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 1:37am On Mar 05, 2013
Olodostein:

Higher minds, bro - and supreme consciousness among savages...

I used to make hiphop beats in secondary school and college, planning to go back to that soon...

I should get a midi keyboard and mpc soon - I'll defo get you a hook up...

Nice verse, btw..
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nwawuweneonye: 1:57am On Mar 05, 2013
cheleku: Nice piece. But you got your message a bit muddled up. I don't quite get where stand on foreign degrees. You seem to discourage it at one point, and yet encourage it at some other point. On a lighter note, do you still have the funny accent? If you do, quickly discard of it. It may be the reason why you had to search for a job for so long.
U got me seriously laughing
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by amacastel: 1:58am On Mar 05, 2013
D guy that paste dis trend is absolutely right the percentage of luck job in nigeria now is about 1% out of 100% job avalible 4 the guy who said dt his friend that didn't knw any where got a job ask him his deal with d directors some forfeit there 1st 3month salary as their payment of being employed.am a nurse/midwife by profession when FMC asaba advertised 4 the employment of nurses I went 4 the interview with my friend that did her nursing training in the north as a matter of fact she didn't knwo any where I took her around after the interview she actually got d job and I did not,initially she told me it was luck after 1year we ar discussing about federal job she told me that she has 2 forfiet her 3months salary n had 2 sleep with 1 of d directors 2 secure d job (she is actually telling me 2 play any game demand of me 4rm anybody dat want 2 giv me job)she forfeit (390k) with hot bleep 4rm d director 2 get a job but initially I was shouting it was her luck .if u want federal job Hnd 400k bribe,bsc 700k,msc 1milion ask any truthful person in d system 2 tell u.NO LuCK JOB in NIGERIA u must know sombody or be ready 2 pay big money as bribe b4 d job.I don't even want 2 work 4 anybody again .Am doing my contracts n I have my peace fu... C ...K. Nigerian work

2 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by baby124: 2:10am On Mar 05, 2013
amacastel: D guy that paste dis trend is absolutely right the percentage of luck job in nigeria now is about 1% out of 100% job avalible 4 the guy who said dt his friend that didn't knw any where got a job ask him his deal with d directors some forfeit there 1st 3month salary as their payment of being employed.am a nurse/midwife by profession when FMC asaba advertised 4 the employment of nurses I went 4 the interview with my friend that did her nursing training in the north as a matter of fact she didn't knwo any where I took her around after the interview she actually got d job and I did not,initially she told me it was luck after 1year we ar discussing about federal job she told me that she has 2 forfiet her 3months salary n had 2 sleep with 1 of d directors 2 secure d job (she is actually telling me 2 play any game demand of me 4rm anybody dat want 2 giv me job)she forfeit (390k) with hot bleep 4rm d director 2 get a job but initially I was shouting it was her luck .if u want federal job Hnd 400k bribe,bsc 700k,msc 1milion ask any truthful person in d system 2 tell u.NO LuCK JOB in NIGERIA u must know sombody or be ready 2 pay big money as bribe b4 d job.I don't even want 2 work 4 anybody again .Am doing my contracts n I have my peace fu... C ...K. Nigerian work

Good lord, too sad. Before the system is cleansed, the people that got jobs this way have to retire. As mediocrity can only support mediocrity. So we can estimate another 30years. Na wa o. Rotflmao. cheesy
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by InvertedHammer: 2:18am On Mar 05, 2013
baby_123:

Good lord, too sad. Before the system is cleansed, the people that got jobs this way have to retire. As mediocrity can only support mediocrity. So we can estimate another 30years. Na wa o. Rotflmao. cheesy

U never see anything...go to the Universities. All those pretty babes you see (no exceptions!) a good number of the lecturers
boink them at least once. Sabi book no sabi book no reach am. It is called infringe benefits.
If you fail (or if he fails you), you will pay for the hotel room, buy his drinks and provide the ultimate pleasure
for your grade to be upgraded.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by nwawuweneonye: 2:22am On Mar 05, 2013
Sometime in 1999,I almost resigned as a banker to go and school in d UK. The only thing that stopped me was that I was dooped. I paid money into a supposed friends account as part payment of my school fees. The rest is history today. Yahoo right? Frustratingly,I ran d Masters in d University of Calabar. That I have completed n planning on going for a P.hD. Perhaps,if it were to be now, I'm not sure I would have taken d risk apart from d fact that I was dooped at d first attempt. During this period, I have been promoted,which means more money coupled with d fact that salary/pay package was again reviewed upward. Thank God for d disappointment, I wonder if I would hv been able to secure another job by now if I had resigned.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by baby124: 2:24am On Mar 05, 2013
InvertedHammer:

U never see anything...go to the Universities. All those pretty babes you see (no exceptions!) a good number of the lecturers
boink them at least once. Sabi book no sabi book no reach am. It is called infringe benefits.
If you fail (or if he fails you), you will pay for the hotel room, buy his drinks and provide the ultimate pleasure
for your grade to be upgraded.

Well, I don't blame the lecturer's. It is the students and their parents I blame. Notice those guys won't try it with people that can make the right noise. They will always want to know who be who. I as a parent cannot pay money to you, and you request such of my child. There is no where I won't drag the matter with you. Even if it is before baba God. Na there the matter go end. Nigerian's leaving thinfs for God are to blame. I aint leaving violating my child for God to come and judge. Either the school takes action, or I do my own back by violating the lecturer badly. I will go to jail o, and bail myself out that same day.

And the VC's are mostly to blame for that. Those lecturer's should be fired. You shouldn't even be in a closed room with a student.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by kolexy(m): 2:59am On Mar 05, 2013
Jarus:

Let me burst your bubble: a friend (very close friend that I brought. Lagos) just did Shell medicals, having scaled all the recruitment stages. Guess what? He has no more than 2.1 Bsc Chem Engr from -wait for it - Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi. He knew nobody. In fact, I brought him to Lagos (never visted Lagos in his life. Knew no more than Kano/Bauchi). But a very brilliant dude currently with Oando, waiting on Shell.

Another friend (also a Nairalander) just moved to Addax from Oando for 15m last year. Has no more than Bsc Accounting from Ife (my set) and ICAN. These are guys that don't know anybody.

These are 2012/2013 events, not 2006!

Guys, merit still dey o. I see all tthese things from time to time and these are what make me reach my consistent conclusion that there is still merit if you know your onions.

And I have never lost a job to nepotism. In 2011, about 42 of us competed for Total E&P Economist position (32 shortlisted from Nigeria, the remaining 10 Nigerian MBA/Msc candidates in USA/UK). I didn't get it(one of the guys from US got it) but I knew it was purely merit-driven. That is the competition. Too many qualified people for very limited spaces. Thousands applied, 42 shortlisted, 1 got it.

Thank you my brother. People should understand that there are very few opportunities in Nigeria, hence they feel cheated if they don't get the job. I remember when I did BATN assessment. I was amongst 35 candidates that gate to the final stage (assessment). We were divided into 5 groups of 7 each. At the end of the day, the took 1 person from each group. 5 candidates out of 6 thousand that wrote the first test. Though, I know someone that knows someone that got the job without writing any test. She even grad with a 3rd class. There is still room for merit, but its never easy!
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Rhino5dm: 3:05am On Mar 05, 2013
Jarus:

Let me burst your bubble: a friend (very close friend that I brought. Lagos) just did Shell medicals, having scaled all the recruitment stages. Guess what? He has no more than 2.1 Bsc Chem Engr from -wait for it - Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi. He knew nobody. In fact, I brought him to Lagos (never visted Lagos in his life. Knew no more than Kano/Bauchi). But a very brilliant dude currently with Oando, waiting on Shell.

Another friend (also a Nairalander) just moved to Addax from Oando for 15m last year. Has no more than Bsc Accounting from Ife (my set) and ICAN. These are guys that don't know anybody.

These are 2012/2013 events, not 2006!

Guys, merit still dey o. I see all tthese things from time to time and these are what make me reach my consistent conclusion that there is still merit if you know your onions.

And I have never lost a job to nepotism. In 2011, about 42 of us competed for Total E&P Economist position (32 shortlisted from Nigeria, the remaining 10 Nigerian MBA/Msc candidates in USA/UK). I didn't get it(one of the guys from US got it) but I knew it was purely merit-driven. That is the competition. Too many qualified people for very limited spaces. Thousands applied, 42 shortlisted, 1 got it.

Is [bBleep[/b] not the name of the guy from ATBU? He had previous experience as TOTAL trainee, NO?. . .It seems you always have a way of watering down the real situation on ground.

What I know for sure is 80% fresh jobs in MNC's is based on arrangee and who you know. At least I know Exxon Mobil, Shell and Agip like back of my hand. I know like a dozen of guys that got jobs in the aforementioned without without writing job test. Worst of it is Agip that don't consider test as a criteria, all you have to know is one ashawo that is phocking Italian, you start work the next day.

Exxon is another scam. At Exxon Mobil, All you have to do is to know either Fami Dada, Asuquo or Mr. Oluwole. T.

Shell?? Yeah, where people get recruited without attending interviews? Or where 90% of SITP trainees are recruited based on insiders standing for them?

NNPC or Dpr is equally is not merit since is quota system based. The only room left is for one to get experience in the field and how do you do that, if entry level selection is fraud?

10 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Yvete(f): 3:07am On Mar 05, 2013
Interesting viewpoints!
It depends really. I would not expect anyone to relocate to Nigeria without the right connections or perhaps, the Motherland has no preference for degrees with an international stamp on it these days. Experience is key. I did three internships before graduating. It helps.

Have no regrets for staying back, bagging more degrees and working in comfort. #LifeisGood
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by mrkoma2012: 3:18am On Mar 05, 2013
@shymexx

Starting a business is a very tough but if successful can be very rewarding. I am not into networking or computer security. A basic research into internet consulting will provide an insight to the various business areas. This will allow you to decide on what aspect you which to start your business on and how you can stand out from the crowd. This might be a vague response to your questions but once you have decided on your business area...........the more traditional methods of getting clientele such as friends, family etc. is a good starring point.
Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by afroxyz: 3:22am On Mar 05, 2013
My problem with all these folks with a foreign degree is that they still have the Naija mentality: 'Looking for a job. Can't you create one? Apart from your foreign degree what else can you offer. It beats me that with all the 'exposure' you get abroad, a foreign degree holder can't create a job, meanwhile they are people do it here in Nigeria. You think the country owes you something because of your foreign accent? Abeg park well. These folks are so quick to point out how the educational system is better, yet they still 'look' fo jobs. Get off your high horse and get something started. Shiekina

4 Likes

Re: Foreign Degree & The Nigerian Mentality by Nobody: 3:23am On Mar 05, 2013
A thread has been created for jealous people to know those that schooled abroad so that they can bash us. Ok naa

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Abba Kyari Dancing In A Nightclub (Throwback Video) / Tinubu Rejects Margaret Okadigbo As Part Of His Campaign Council / The Economist : Atiku Was Singled Out By America’s Senate On Corruption & More.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.