Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,931 members, 7,810,595 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:47 AM

Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. (22533 Views)

21 Questions To Ask Before Saying “I Do” / 20 Romantic Questions To Ask Your Boyfriend / Questions To Ask Your Girlfriend Whenever You Are Bored In A Chat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by sadlerrr: 10:42am On Mar 09, 2013
Since it's a wedding day, I decided to post something interesting about marriage..

There are thousands of questions you should consider before entering into a marriage, but to help you out, I’ve narrowed it down to a few of the most important ones. This is a checklist of seven questions I believe every person should ask before walking down the isle.

1. Do I like this person?

I know that this seems like a redundant question, but it’s really not. I talk to many couples who say that they “love” each other, but when you get past all those romantic feelings, there’s no friendship at the core of the relationship. Marry somebody that you love to hang out with. Without a strong friendship, I believe a marriage is destined for failure. Don’t just marry somebody you love…marry somebody you like!

2. Am I attracted to more than their looks?

Physical attraction is definitely important, but looks are going to change. That hot girl or guy you’re staring at now is going to look a whole lot different in 40 years! You need to make sure you’re drawn to who that person is, not just how that person looks.

3. Do I want this person to be the father or mother of my kids?

Before you get married, you need to ask more than “Do I want my kids to look like this person?” You need to ask “Do I want my kids to BE like this person?”

4. Can I be myself around this person?

This is huge. If you feel like you have to be somebody else around your potential spouse, don’t get married! There’s nothing more exhausting than pretending to be someone or something you’re not for somebody else’s approval. Your spouse should bring out the best parts of who you are but never try to change who you are.

5. Does this person strengthen my faith?

As a Christian, I believe God’s design for marriage is that a husband and wife come together with Christ in the Center. Without Him at the foundation, the marriage will eventually crumble. Marry someone who not only shares your faith but also strengthens your faith. Your spouse should bring you closer to Jesus, not drag you farther away.

6. Do the people who love me the most think we’re a good match?

If your family and friends who love you the most don’t think you’re good for each other, then please look past your feelings and weigh carefully if you’re marrying the right person. You need a spouse who is going to strengthen your family bonds, not put a huge strain on them. If your family loves your fiancee, that’s a great sign! If they don’t, seriously consider your next step.

7. Can I stay committed to this person No Matter What?

We live in a world where people like to quit anything the moment it gets difficult. The core of your marriage isn’t feelings which change…it’s commitment which never changes. When you say “I do” what you’re really saying is “I Will.” I will be here for you and with you through life’s ups and downs.

If you can find someone who stands up to these questions and you can do the same for them, then I believe that you’re on your way to “Happily Ever After!” Pray hard, plan well and say “I Do” with confidence and joy!

source - http://davewillis.org/category/marriage/

60 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by Emusan(m): 10:56am On Mar 09, 2013
Nice write up!
Thank God mine is still far, dancing Kekure

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by DExplorer1: 12:07pm On Mar 09, 2013
Good stuff
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by Afam4eva(m): 12:18pm On Mar 09, 2013
Nice stuff.

The key to any successful marriage is communication and communication comes through friendship and not romance.

6 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by donsteady(m): 12:21pm On Mar 09, 2013
informative stuff[b][/b]
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by Super1759: 12:21pm On Mar 09, 2013
many people don't have time for all these jamb questions...

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by churchillfrank(m): 12:22pm On Mar 09, 2013
Nice one for those gettin married dis easter
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by ebamma(m): 12:22pm On Mar 09, 2013
. Will he be able to satisfy me in bed #i can
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by Dranatomy: 12:23pm On Mar 09, 2013
Check out his or her family covenants and pedigree FIRST and settle same once and for all before asking all those questions...

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by Okworigeorge(m): 12:23pm On Mar 09, 2013
marriage=love+endurance.......simple arithematic
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by alfredo4u(m): 12:24pm On Mar 09, 2013
i asked my woman few of dose question, all she replied me is dat........is marriage by force?
To me, marriage is all abt contract, keep urs i keep mine. If Bleep comes up, u go ur fada house. I no fit shout.

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by elitejosef: 12:24pm On Mar 09, 2013
Can dis person please me well on Bed

5 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by huninaija(f): 12:26pm On Mar 09, 2013
Important questions.. However if I decide to marry a guy it means I was attracted to his physical looks, so I don't think that's really important.

Another question should be about finances, will there be a joint bank account during our marriage? Or separate accounts??
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by vanbonattel: 12:26pm On Mar 09, 2013
Load of rubbish, marriage have no defined formular. Two total strangers can meet from a one night stand and later marry one week later and stay happily married till death. No long thingz......

5 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by greatgod2012(f): 12:27pm On Mar 09, 2013
Nice one there, but, unfortunately, some people are too desperate and too eager to ask these necessary questions b4 settling down, hence, their future regrets.
May God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by question(m): 12:29pm On Mar 09, 2013
Ask these questions about yourself first before asking about the spouse.

Marriage is about being the right person not marrying the right person.

5 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by eforce: 12:29pm On Mar 09, 2013
Nice questions, but there are some people you should not even bother asking questions you should just dump them and never marry them.

http://www.elijahforce..com/2013/02/8-ladies-to-never-marry.html
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by greatgod2012(f): 12:30pm On Mar 09, 2013
van bonattel: Load of rubbish, marriage have no defined formular. Two total strangers can meet from a one night stand and later marry one week later and stay happily married till death. No long thingz......

yes, true, but maybe, one in a thousand cases.........mind you, these questions are asked during d courtship, which is very necessary b4 marriage.
May God help us all.
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by vanbonattel: 12:31pm On Mar 09, 2013
greatgod2012: Nice one there, but, unfortunately, some people are too desperate and too eager to ask these necessary questions b4 settling down, hence, their future regrets.
May God help us all.

Some people still look, watch, wait and learn for many years and still fight everyday for the rest of the marriage.

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by freecocoa(f): 12:31pm On Mar 09, 2013
This is very good write up.

I know someone can love another without liking the person, I just wonder and don't get how this happens.
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by Nobody: 12:32pm On Mar 09, 2013
Super1759: many people don't have time for all these jamb questions...

they don't, right? we will have time to read their stories that touch in family section.

4 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by misterseed(m): 12:32pm On Mar 09, 2013
I will keep thinking about these things. The married need them to.
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by adewal15(m): 12:41pm On Mar 09, 2013
van bonattel: Load of rubbish, marriage have no defined formular. Two total strangers can meet from a one night stand and later marry one week later and stay happily married till death. No long thingz......
Yours I think a load of rubbish... Love at first sight only seems true because you've got a certain criteria and picture of, then the Indian movie comes in when meeting a girl you'd like to be with... that when getting to see her, the picture of whom you'd choose to marry appears.. dceive yourself not.... Imagine marrying a stranger who maybe dropped from Mars...
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by Amazondepth(m): 12:43pm On Mar 09, 2013
So after asking all these questions about someone else which questions do u ask urself?once two willing committed parties with plenty tolerance and a lil love jump on d bus marriage don happen abeg!d focus on marriage is urself not on someone else joor.formula no dey dat tin
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by Nobody: 12:46pm On Mar 09, 2013
what is your CREDIT SCORE
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by KINGwax(m): 12:47pm On Mar 09, 2013
Shld the question before marriage or before u even consider asking /going out with someone?b
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by Goldenheart(m): 12:48pm On Mar 09, 2013
K
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by vanbonattel: 12:48pm On Mar 09, 2013
adewal15: Yours I think a load of rubbish... Love at first sight only seems true because you've got a certain criteria and picture of, then the Indian movie comes in when meeting a girl you'd like to be with... that when getting to see her, the picture of whom you'd choose to marry appears.. dceive yourself not.... Imagine marrying a stranger who maybe dropped from Mars...

Let me educate you, the more you stay to learn about the opposite sex, the more you hate them, the more you meet other more pretty, younger, richer, more educated and cool opposites. Better close your eyes and marry and develop your love than hoping you have met an angel only to discover you have been duped, the person you thought you knew will soon show her true colours.

I better be surprised by marrying a total stranger than finding out I have been taken an a ride by the person I thought I knew very well.

2 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by Goldenheart(m): 12:51pm On Mar 09, 2013
sadlerrr: Since it's a wedding day, I decided to post something interesting about marriage..

There are thousands of questions you should consider before entering into a marriage, but to help you out, I’ve narrowed it down to a few of the most important ones. This is a checklist of seven questions I believe every person should ask before walking down the isle.

1. Do I like this person?

I know that this seems like a redundant question, but it’s really not. I talk to many couples who say that they “love” each other, but when you get past all those romantic feelings, there’s no friendship at the core of the relationship. Marry somebody that you love to hang out with. Without a strong friendship, I believe a marriage is destined for failure. Don’t just marry somebody you love…marry somebody you like!

2. Am I attracted to more than their looks?

Physical attraction is definitely important, but looks are going to change. That hot girl or guy you’re staring at now is going to look a whole lot different in 40 years! You need to make sure you’re drawn to who that person is, not just how that person looks.

3. Do I want this person to be the father or mother of my kids?

Before you get married, you need to ask more than “Do I want my kids to look like this person?” You need to ask “Do I want my kids to BE like this person?”

4. Can I be myself around this person?

This is huge. If you feel like you have to be somebody else around your potential spouse, don’t get married! There’s nothing more exhausting than pretending to be someone or something you’re not for somebody else’s approval. Your spouse should bring out the best parts of who you are but never try to change who you are.

5. Does this person strengthen my faith?

As a Christian, I believe God’s design for marriage is that a husband and wife come together with Christ in the Center. Without Him at the foundation, the marriage will eventually crumble. Marry someone who not only shares your faith but also strengthens your faith. Your spouse should bring you closer to Jesus, not drag you farther away.

6. Do the people who love me the most think we’re a good match?

If your family and friends who love you the most don’t think you’re good for each other, then please look past your feelings and weigh carefully if you’re marrying the right person. You need a spouse who is going to strengthen your family bonds, not put a huge strain on them. If your family loves your fiancee, that’s a great sign! If they don’t, seriously consider your next step.

7. Can I stay committed to this person No Matter What?

We live in a world where people like to quit anything the moment it gets difficult. The core of your marriage isn’t feelings which change…it’s commitment which never changes. When you say “I do” what you’re really saying is “I Will.” I will be here for you and with you through life’s ups and downs.

If you can find someone who stands up to these questions and you can do the same for them, then I believe that you’re on your way to “Happily Ever After!” Pray hard, plan well and say “I Do” with confidence and joy!

source - http://davewillis.org/category/marriage/

okay....
Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by victorazy(m): 12:52pm On Mar 09, 2013
Nice one!
Only that number (6) shouldn't be found anywhere on the list!

3 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by adewal15(m): 12:52pm On Mar 09, 2013
van bonattel:

Let me educate you, the more you stay to learn about the opposite sex, the more you hate them, the more you meet other more pretty, younger, richer, more educated and cool opposites. Better close your eyes and marry and develop your love than hoping you have met an angel only to discover you have been duped, the person you thought you knew will soon show her true colours.

I better be surprised by marrying a total stranger than finding out I have been taken an a ride by the person I thought I knew very well.
Your comment is just like, entering a bus at a garage blindly and hoping to get to your destination.... Pls be practical when you think... Ignorance has a great effect hope you know?

4 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before You Get Married. by stagger: 12:56pm On Mar 09, 2013
The questions are too vague. They should be more specific to our Naija setting.

1) Is the lady/guy the type of person who easily gets provoked?
2) How are quarrels and disagreements handled?
3) Is the lady submissive?
4) Does the guy love his wife to the point where he can die for her? Is he sacrificial? Can he decide to trek under hot sun so his wife can have the only car to enjoy the A/c, or is he the type that colonizes the car while his wife jumps around town in public transport?
5) Can the woman take correction or is she the type that is forever shouting back at her man and putting him down publicly?
6) Does the man treat the woman as his help mate or as his subordinate or an article of property?
7) Is the man clean? SOme guys throw their underwear and socks everywhere and expect the jackey horse of a wife to always pick up after him.
cool Is the man a provider? Will his attitude change if his wife starts to earn more than himself or will he still measure up to standard? Will the woman become heady and uncontrollable when her earning power supersedes that of the man?
9) Can the woman cook and do basic domestic stuff in the house?
10) Is the man a stingy fellow?
11) What is the attitude of the man to his mother and what is the attitude of the wife to her father? This will determine how they relate to the opposing inlaws and to themselves.
12) What is the spiritual story behind both the man and wife? Does untimely death, poverty or some other negative stuff run in the family line?

There are too many important questions to ask. Forget all those stupid janded questions that have no meaning in the real modern day marriage setting in Naija.

20 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help! Got A Surprise Text From Her And She Requested I Should Reply / Upload Your Girlfriend Let's See Which One Is prettier / Things Every Man Should Learn To Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.