Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,893 members, 7,810,430 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:58 AM

GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren (23826 Views)

Bigadier-General Sule Zakari Is Director-General Of NYSC Now (Photo) / Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" / Region Of Director-General's Of SSS since 1999-till date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Ngwakwe: 1:02am On Mar 12, 2013
The NASS (CPC & ACN inclusive) demanded he be sacked after passing vote of no confidence on him..

GEJ also lost confidence on him, hence he was duly sacked for complacency and incompetence .

dvdon: What's d argument about demuren being complacant or not, he is out I mean sacked, sacked for another GEJs loyalist to share from d national cake. Because I see no wrong commited by this man to deserve a sack.

7 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Nobody: 1:04am On Mar 12, 2013
Ngwakwe: The NASS (CPC & ACN inclusive) demanded he be sacked after passing vote of no confidence on him..

GEJ also lost confidence on him, hence he was duly sacked for complacency and incompetence .

With all due respect, there aren't many aviation professionals in the NASS. Therefore, their 'vote of confidence' was in massive error.

5 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Capnd143(m): 1:07am On Mar 12, 2013
Ok. . . . Sack all northern senators next . . .! I no see wetin dat my guy man do sef oh! Imagine a whole me i never hear im name 4 news b4.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Afam4eva(m): 1:08am On Mar 12, 2013
OAM4J:

Dr. Demurin is an experienced Aeronautical Engineer. He was retired in 1995 as a Director of Safety Services In NCAA because of his strict adherent to safety. Went to float Afrijet and was the MD/CEO of the cargo airline before OBJ appointed him DG NCAA after Bellview and Sosoliso Airlines crashes to restore sanity in the aviation Industry and he went on to help Nigeria attained the US CAT 1 status after those incidents.

He has done well for the aviation Industry, only hope his sack was not out of flimsy excuses or caused by these so called aviation stakeholders wanting to resume their "cutting corners" as Marwa once put it. And I hope another competent person will be appointed.

Maybe you're right.

So, he got appointed after Bellview and Sosoliso? I could have sworn that that man has been in that position before I was born. Why has his face registered in my head. I even see him in my dream. There's no way this man joined the NCAA during OBJ's tenure. I think it was passed down to him by his father.
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by TableLeg(m): 1:11am On Mar 12, 2013
CFCfan:

I don't think Demuren should have been fired. I rate him as one of the best ever NCAA DGs. undecided
Agree.... bags of experience ....
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by OAM4J: 1:13am On Mar 12, 2013
Afam4eva:
Maybe you're right.

So, he got appointed after Bellview and Sosoliso? I could have sworn that that man has been in that position before I was born. Why has his face registered in my head. I even see him in my dream. There's no way this man joined the NCAA during OBJ's tenure. I think it was passed down to him by his father.

lol

Actually you are right, read my post again. He joined the Nigerian aviation ministry circa 1970s and was retired in 1995, but was brought back by OBJ in 2005.

He is a very strict, no-nonsense man to the core.

5 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Afam4eva(m): 1:15am On Mar 12, 2013
OAM4J:

lol

Actually you are right, read my post again. He joined the Nigerian aviation ministry circa 1970s and was retired in 1995, but was brought back by OBJ in 2005.
Ehen, now you're talking.
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Nobody: 1:25am On Mar 12, 2013
CFCfan:

With all due respect, there aren't many aviation professionals in the NASS. Therefore, their 'vote of confidence' was in massive error.

Lmao... Perhaps, acquiring private jets means being an aviation professional in the NASS... grin

Nigeria itself is/was a massive error since the country always prefer incompetence over professionalism, so nothing is new here...

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Ngwakwe: 1:28am On Mar 12, 2013
Whether it's in error or by omission, it's part of their oversight function done by committee on Aviation.

He was great but became complacent, hence the indictment.

Go there or write them while doing that call then m.orons.

CFCfan:

3 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by EkoIle1: 1:30am On Mar 12, 2013
Ngwakwe: The NASS (CPC & ACN inclusive) demanded he be sacked after passing vote of no confidence on him..

What a damn irony. The clown sacked other people for what he himself should have been sacked for...

What a travesty..

14 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by talk2s(m): 1:59am On Mar 12, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
It's called fresh air Mr. Talkimi wink After-all, your drunken fisherman approved the sack letter.. No undecided....
The otueke fisherman has just done what he does best .......... smh

To the best of your knowledge, GEJ is a fisherman?
'Knowledge is power'; you can rightly guess what ignorance is!

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by talk2s(m): 2:03am On Mar 12, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
It's called fresh air Mr. Talkimi wink After-all, your drunken fisherman approved the sack letter.. No undecided....

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by talk2s(m): 2:05am On Mar 12, 2013
Table Leg :
The otueke fisherman has just done what he does best .......... smh

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Ngwakwe: 2:06am On Mar 12, 2013
But he is a politician and need to be seen working at least by hiring and firing.

Eko Ile:

What a damn irony. The clown sacked other people for what he himself should have been sacked for...

What a travesty..

1 Like

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by thelastPope(m): 2:09am On Mar 12, 2013
NL and its army of armchair and partisan commentators.

There is no way you can sit on your chair in your little mini flat and know what the reason is until the government actually says so. The man has done something that deserves the sack and he has been sacked. If he feels he has been undone unjustly, he can actually seek redress in court.

Truth is, this man has been DG since OBJ and in that period, the civil aviation industry hasn't improved much in terms of processes. Airline operators have been cutting corners badly. if the man has really improved the industry, we would not have had the Dana and the PH debacle! The Dana incident was a big example of a failure of the NCAA. The NASS had to call for the man's sack and rightly so! If it was in an advanced country, the man would have resigned himself, but we know how we do it here. Let us leave those running these things to run them because only they have full information of what is really going on. We can only comment when those information come to the public domain. One great thing GEJ has really done is place round pegs in round holes in most of the government agencies. People like Iweala, Aganga, oduah, Eteh, Nnaji and later Nebo, etc are true professionals in their various ministries and agencies.

7 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by baby124: 2:14am On Mar 12, 2013
Well, no more flying Nigerian owned airlines lipsrsealed
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Nobody: 2:15am On Mar 12, 2013
baby_123: Well, no more flying Nigerian owned airlines lipsrsealed

Arik Air is relatively safe though.

They are the "Wings Of Nigeria".

1 Like

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by thelastPope(m): 2:22am On Mar 12, 2013
hustla242: Prior to his appointment in 2005, there were no direct flights between Nigeria and USA. There are now several direct flights between Nigeria and U.S. destinations including Atlanta, New York and Washington D.C., services to Houston began in November 2011.

Goes to show it takes more than doctorates from Harvard, M.I.T or Cambridge to serve in Nigeria. Nigeria needs to forget about bringing in "technocrats" from abroad.. stick to local champions content; they are more familiar with the business environment.

Unfortunately mediocrity rules in Nigeria undecided

Prior to Ernest Ndukwe's appointment as NCC boss, there was no GSM in Nigeria but now there is GSM and even 3G! Does that mean we are very happy with his performance at the NCC? Your logic is flawed. The world is growin. Nigeria is growing. A lot of new technology and processes are coming on stream. Some of these changes will come into effect, it doesn't matter whoever is at the helm of affairs. Of course, some others will require a visionary person to implement. But the most important function in the NCAA is the day to day management that ensures the safety and comfort of the flying public and so far, Demuren seems to have come short there.

3 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by baby124: 2:23am On Mar 12, 2013
CFCfan:

Arik Air is relatively safe though.

They are the "Wings Of Nigeria".

I will rather fly with an Air Balloon. cheesy. Arik at this time? What a joke. Is Arik not the major stakeholder. They are obviously thirsty for cutting corners.
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by BetaThings: 2:27am On Mar 12, 2013
thelastPope: NL and its army of armchair and partisan commentators.

There is no way you can sit on your chair in your little mini flat and know what the reason is until the government actually says so. The man has done something that deserves the sack and he has been sacked. If he feels he has been undone unjustly, he can actually seek redress in court.

Truth is, this man has been DG since OBJ and in that period, the civil aviation industry hasn't improved much in terms of processes. Airline operators have been cutting corners badly. if the man has really improved the industry, we would not have had the Dana and the PH debacle! The Dana incident was a big example of a failure of the NCAA. The NASS had to call for the man's sack and rightly so! If it was in an advanced country, the man would have resigned himself, but we know how we do it here. Let us leave those running these things to run them because only they have full information of what is really going on. We can only comment when those information come to the public domain. One great thing GEJ has really done is place round pegs in round holes in most of the government agencies. People like Iweala, Aganga, oduah, Eteh, Nnaji and later Nebo, etc are true professionals in their various ministries and agencies.

Tell us about the PH "debacle". So NCAA should be held responsible for military aviation safety?
In the case of Dana, even Group Captain Obakpolor who was appointed by Aviation Minister exonerated Demuren
Tell us how Nebo who is less than 1 month on the job is a professional and Demuren is not
Tell us why a man whose tenure saw the return of direct flights between Nigeria and US has not improved processes
Tell us how airlines have been cutting corners
Last time I heard it was FAAN MD that was complaining about Arik's refusal to pay airport charges due to Arik's "connections". So how come Arik's MD was not sacked

10 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by redcliff: 2:34am On Mar 12, 2013
[size=15pt]long overdue stuff. [/size]
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by AZeD1(m): 2:44am On Mar 12, 2013
BetaThings:

Tell us about the PH "debacle". So NCAA should be held responsible for military aviation safety?
In the case of Dana, even Group Captain Obakpolor who was appointed by Aviation Minister exonerated Demuren
Tell us how Nebo who is less than 1 month on the job is a professional and Demuren is not
Tell us why a man whose tenure saw the return of direct flights between Nigeria and US has not improved processes
Tell us how airlines have been cutting corners
Last time I heard it was FAAN MD that was complaining about Arik's refusal to pay airport charges due to Arik's "connections". So how come Arik's MD was not sacked
thelastPope is laptop number 5.. Imagine someone calling Oduah a professional in aviation and Dr Demuren is not.

6 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by manny4life(m): 2:45am On Mar 12, 2013
CFCfan:

He was instrumental in ensuring that Nigeria attained the US CAT 1 status. This enabled our domestic airlines to fly directly to the US on Nigerian-registered aircraft.

Not entirely true, in fact, Nigeria's CAT 1 STATUS was achieved after President Yar'adua signed a "Guarantee Letter" to then President Bush assuring him that Nigerian Legislature or its govt will not interfere with NCAA. That was why when NASS was clamoring for revoking of DANA Air's License, and even went further to launch investigation, the issue arose that U.S. may revoke their status again.

President Bush made it clear to NCAA and President Yar'adua that U.S. FAA will NOT grant that license regardless of the improvements that had made so far, so President Yar'adua has to sign that assurance letter for the ban to be lifted. So technically, while he might had played his own role (although the Aviation minister was the one who implemented all changes), nonetheless, the pivotal role was Yar'adua.

4 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by hustla242: 3:08am On Mar 12, 2013
thelastPope:

Prior to Ernest Ndukwe's appointment as NCC boss, there was no GSM in Nigeria but now there is GSM and even 3G! Does that mean we are very happy with his performance at the NCC? Your logic is flawed. The world is growin. Nigeria is growing. A lot of new technology and processes are coming on stream. Some of these changes will come into effect, it doesn't matter whoever is at the helm of affairs. Of course, some others will require a visionary person to implement. But the most important function in the NCAA is the day to day management that ensures the safety and comfort of the flying public and so far, Demuren seems to have come short there.

I don't know about you but most Nigerians I know are very happy and indeed grateful with Ernest Ndukwe's achievement at NCC. In my books, it takes a visionary to go from O to several direct flights between Nigeria-US.

Flawed logic is when people like Stella Oduah gets to keep her job whilst an accomplished pro gets the sack. NIGERIA's logic is fundamentally flawed undecided

7 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Dansadaumallam(m): 3:24am On Mar 12, 2013
Mr. Harold d, you have played your part to bring safety to our aviation sector. Take it as part of your progression -one phase is over.
To nairalanders "when will hatred and bad language cease to be your choice in looking at issues"? I cannot say what some people are out for these days as lack of manners is exhibited without restraint.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Richy4(m): 3:25am On Mar 12, 2013
wesley80:
Plenty plenty talk, little little sense. We know your mouth is bigger than your head but do you mind drawing on some common sense from the pit of your stomach?
Let me guide you; Oya how was Demuren transforming our aviation sector with his "wealth of experience" b4 this sack which you're not sure what he did/didnt do to suddenly deserve?

There's a way you can disagree on someone's opinion without going through his/her thinking faculty you know.if I understand you correctly, you were trying to ask him to clarify his statement, yet you throw insult first before asking questions. how do you expect him to answer your question. he has a reason for his opinion and he is in titled to it. just saying

8 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by anonimi: 3:27am On Mar 12, 2013
Eko Ile:

What a travesty..

You obviously did not take note of the fact that the legisLOOTERs in the NASS made up of some 30-40% ACN, CPC and APGA people passed a vote of no confidence on him. How many laws have been proposed and passed by these APC neophytes since 1999 despite the mega millions they RECEIVE from OUR tax money monthly
Shameless bunch of HYPOCRITES and PROPAGANDA champions who label themselves "progressive opposition". SMH.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Nobody: 3:29am On Mar 12, 2013
Bravo to a great Leader and now, former DG of NCAA.
Demuren would remain one of the best DGs in NCAA. He is competent and well experienced in the field. About a year ago, He was going to step aside honorably after his first tenure, and the 'thanksgiving service' but he was reappointed to carry on, and then...the Dana Crash.sad The thoughtline is, if Demuren wasn't good enough, and achieved good feats in the sector, why was he reappointed? Demuren was a silent achiever..who knows his onious. He would be missed.

Now, let's hope the next DG makes good his/her calling.smiley

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Jafro(m): 3:32am On Mar 12, 2013
God help us all! :-XGod help us all!
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by trainingict: 3:33am On Mar 12, 2013
I remember an oil magnate financed a group that advertised a lot on pages of newspaper for the 2011 election. The financier was rewarded after the election. A lot has taken place at the aviation sector with the sacking of some senior officers mainly from a particular zone. The duplicity of ideological groups in this zone has helped them a lot. I remember, it was very difficult to reach a consensus on many topical issues because of these groups. One of such period was the attack of Atlas cove jetty in Lagos by the Niger Delta Militant. While local group in SW faulted the operation as being outside Niger Delta, Prof Wole Soyinka has defended the action as not being a tribal issue, I know he was part of the negotiating team on the side of the militant.

Last year when Bola Onagoruwa was sacked from BPE for privatization under NCP where you have the likes of Atedo Peterside and others as her indirect boss, I have said Harold Demuren is the next to go. I had thought they would allow him to complete his tenure. NO WAY. Nigeria is a great nation, God will solve the security problem on the ground. Even in War Colleges, situation that leads to way and their prevention are some of the major topics. Read below my posting of Nov 28, 2012 after the sacking of DG BPE Bola Onagoruwa.

https://www.nairaland.com/1115671/jonathan-fires-dg-bpe/1

The government should have given the reason for her sack. I am very glad that the marginalised group in Nairaland that always complain or suspect an attack on them has not made any statement in that direction, may be she is not one of them. The 5% FG share in Eleme petrochemical plant was not her decision as the council on privatization is the only body vested with that power. Nobody can approve the sale of government share without the head of government. In Nigeria, a director representing federal government with 5% share can be more powerful than the remaining private investors with 95% in an enterprise because he wields more political power than all of them. He represents government. He can be a threat to the board in a very sensitive enterprise. Manitoba, former minister of power geometric submission and all the privatization carried out before her that was evaluated by the senate committee did not have direct consequence on her sole responsibility. The recommendation of reversal of some of those privatised entities was to allow for the creation of boards, appointments and funding by the government. It is a way of corruption.Jobs to be created will only be temporary, except government continues to pump money by sacking board and reconstitute a new one. Aruma Oteh should be very lucky. I think Capt. Harold Demuren is just waiting by luck for the expiration of his tenure having been penalised also by a senate committee after the Dana Air Crash after a very meritorious service in the aviation sector both in Private capacity and when called upon to serve at a very critical period some years back. Nov 28, 2012

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Ejine(m): 3:34am On Mar 12, 2013
Very unfortunate.
He had a really positive influence on the NCAA.

He will be missed.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Engineer96(m): 3:40am On Mar 12, 2013
Dr Damureen has been the head of NCAA since Obj's administration through Yar'adua's to Jonathan's administration.
In Nigeria, there are abundant and untapped human resources. I don't believe that anybody has the sole knowledge of anything in Nigeria.
Again, GEJ has the power to remove the head of any federal agency.
We may not see what the president and his team saw that made them decide to change the baton but Harold can be outperfomed by another Nigerian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ayo Fayose 55th Birthday Thanksgiving Service In Ekiti (Photos) / Osinbajo Presides Over FEC Meeting After His Visit To President Buhari (Pics) / Mohammed Wushishi Is Dead (Former Chief Of Army Staff Dies At 81)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.