Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,388 members, 7,822,801 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren (23851 Views)

Bigadier-General Sule Zakari Is Director-General Of NYSC Now (Photo) / Onyeka Onwenu: "They Worked Against Me As Director-General Because I'm An Igbo" / Region Of Director-General's Of SSS since 1999-till date (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by BetaThings: 3:47am On Mar 12, 2013
anonimi:

You obviously did not take note of the fact that the legisLOOTERs in the NASS made up of some 30-40% ACN, CPC and APGA people passed a vote of no confidence on him. How many laws have been proposed and passed by these APC neophytes since 1999 despite the mega millions they RECEIVE from OUR tax money monthly
Shameless bunch of HYPOCRITES and PROPAGANDA champions who label themselves "progressive opposition". SMH.

Incorrect! Check again, the House of Reps committee that championed the removal of Demuren was headed by a PDP man. The other person (Ekwunife) who spoke forcefully against Demuren was from APGA. She has said that APGA will not join APC. She explained that Rochas is of the state (Imo) administration and that is different from party leadership

Next lie please!

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by comely77(m): 3:51am On Mar 12, 2013
Isn't it ironic that GEJ that has found it difficult to fire Arumah Oteh even with ALL the threats and arm-twisting of the entire NASS found it compelling to sack Demuren due to 'pressure from aviation stakeholders' without stating his crime...sad sad sad.

8 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by trainingict: 3:52am On Mar 12, 2013
Again, as I said earlier, War colleges all over the world is a very senior course, situation that threatens world peace and their prevention is a major course and not how to fire missile or torpedoes, that is, if they are ever taught there. When Dana plane crashed, we were all emotional because we lost our loved ones, We can be reactive, legislators are also human beings.That is never an excuse. DG of NCAA has been a tug of war issue. I remember during the OBJ time, the DG (from Kogi or Benue) was having a protracted sickness another person was acting on his behalf. There was a tension between the DG and acting DG, The DG eventually died paving the way for the acting.Both of them are late now (may their soul through the mercy of God rest in peace). Capt Harold fought many battles beyond that is beyond this forum, He should go for thanksgiving. He is a man indeed.

3 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by doeeyed: 3:52am On Mar 12, 2013
Given Dr Demuren's achievements in the past and history of being a strict stickler to rules n regulations; its a surprise this has come about only now in GEJ's shambolic govt.
I can only wish Dr D well in his future endeavours.
Seems like its time to take to the roads and avoid air travel in Naija.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by BetaThings: 3:52am On Mar 12, 2013
Engineer96: Dr Damureen has been the head of NCAA since Obj's administration through Yar'adua's to Jonathan's administration.
In Nigeria, there are abundant and untapped human resources. I don't believe that anybody has the sole knowledge of anything in Nigeria.
Again, GEJ has the power to remove the head of any federal agency.
We may not see what the president and his team saw that made them decide to change the baton but Harold can be outperfomed by another Nigerian.

Is Demuren the longest-serving DG of any paratstatal?
Nobody disputes a president's power to remove anyone
I hope you also remember that GEJ has the longest career of any member of the executive - unbroken since 1999 to date

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by thelastPope(m): 4:00am On Mar 12, 2013
hustla242:

I don't know about you but most Nigerians I know are very happy and indeed grateful with Ernest Ndukwe's achievement at NCC. In my books, it takes a visionary to go from O to several direct flights between Nigeria-US.

Flawed logic is when people like Stella Oduah gets to keep her job whilst an accomplished pro gets the sack. NIGERIA's logic is fundamentally flawed undecided

Which most Nigerians? I am not satisfied with the way the telecoms industry have been run in the last 10 years. Just open a thread on it and you will see users responses. That is not to say he is a total failure. Just not satisfied.

If doesn't take any visionary leadership to institute direct flights from Nigeria to US. Nigeria is a big country. There are probably like 1 million or more Nigerians in the USA. The real test for Demuren was overseeing the local routes and ensuring safety and the Dana crash was not a good testimony. Like I said for Ndukwe, that does not also mean he was a total failure. He just fell short there and that was an important indicator!

If you know the way airlines are cutting corners and the way the whole civil aviation industry is run, you will weep and would probably not want to fly local airlines. Do you know it is so bad that security men at the airports sometimes steal aviation fuel from parked planes and sell it as kerosine? Look, I don't want to start. Let's just leave it alone.

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by trainingict: 4:04am On Mar 12, 2013
Capt Demuren is yet to complete his second term. I wish him best of luck in his future undertaken.

I remember an oil magnate financed a group that advertised a lot on pages of newspaper for the 2011 election. The financier was rewarded after the election. A lot has taken place at the aviation sector with the sacking of some senior officers mainly from a particular zone. The duplicity of ideological groups in this zone has helped them a lot. I remember, it was very difficult to reach a consensus on many topical issues because of these groups. One of such period was the attack of Atlas cove jetty in Lagos by the Niger Delta Militant. While local group in SW faulted the operation as being outside Niger Delta, Prof Wole Soyinka has defended the action as not being a tribal issue, I know he was part of the negotiating team on the side of the militant.

Last year when Bola Onagoruwa was sacked from BPE for privatization under NCP where you have the likes of Atedo Peterside and others as her indirect boss, I have said Harold Demuren is the next to go. I had thought they would allow him to complete his tenure. NO WAY. Nigeria is a great nation, God will solve the security problem on the ground. Even in War Colleges, situation that leads to way and their prevention are some of the major topics. Read below my posting of Nov 28, 2012 after the sacking of DG BPE Bola Onagoruwa.

https://www.nairaland.com/1115671/jonathan-fires-dg-bpe/1

The government should have given the reason for her sack. I am very glad that the marginalised group in Nairaland that always complain or suspect an attack on them has not made any statement in that direction, may be she is not one of them. The 5% FG share in Eleme petrochemical plant was not her decision as the council on privatization is the only body vested with that power. Nobody can approve the sale of government share without the head of government. In Nigeria, a director representing federal government with 5% share can be more powerful than the remaining private investors with 95% in an enterprise because he wields more political power than all of them. He represents government. He can be a threat to the board in a very sensitive enterprise. Manitoba, former minister of power geometric submission and all the privatization carried out before her that was evaluated by the senate committee did not have direct consequence on her sole responsibility. The recommendation of reversal of some of those privatised entities was to allow for the creation of boards, appointments and funding by the government. It is a way of corruption.Jobs to be created will only be temporary, except government continues to pump money by sacking board and reconstitute a new one. Aruma Oteh should be very lucky. I think Capt. Harold Demuren is just waiting by luck for the expiration of his tenure having been penalised also by a senate committee after the Dana Air Crash after a very meritorious service in the aviation sector both in Private capacity and when called upon to serve at a very critical period some years back. Nov 28, 2012

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by BetaThings: 4:16am On Mar 12, 2013
thelastPope:

Which most Nigerians? I am not satisfied with the way the telecoms industry have been run in the last 10 years. Just open a thread on it and you will see users responses. That is not to say he is a total failure. Just not satisfied.

To compare Ndukwe to Wujah is to compare a 747 to a 737. NCC is not perfect. But Bdukwe understand that business far more than Wujah
Do you know how difficult it was to believe in the Nigerian environment when Ndukwe was selling licenses to MTN and Econet?
Vodacom of South Africa did not believe in it
Kim Osagie did not believe that it made sense to pay $285m for a licence
The FEG promised to spend the money from the sale of licences to provide a national backbone. The FG reneged
Hence the telcos had to provide the infrastructure and charge more. They said this openly to NASS and nobody from the executive could contradict them

thelastPope:
If doesn't take any visionary leadership to institute direct flights from Nigeria to US. Nigeria is a big country. There are probably like 1 million or more Nigerians in the USA. The real test for Demuren was overseeing the local routes and ensuring safety and the Dana crash was not a good testimony. Like I said for Ndukwe, that does not also mean he was a total failure. He just fell short there and that was an important indicator!

It does otherwise, Nigeria would have had direct flight to the US before now.
GEJ said there was cabal in the oil sector and he could not uproot them. Why do you think Demuren by himself could uproot cabals in the aviation sector. If it is based on this, FAAN MD that has issues with Arik should have gone

thelastPope:
If you know the way airlines are cutting corners and the way the whole civil aviation industry is run, you will weep and would probably not want to fly local airlines. Do you know it is so bad that security men at the airports sometimes steal aviation fuel from parked planes and sell it as kerosine? Look, I don't want to start. Let's just leave it alone.

Please start. Don't leave it alone and tell us how security men stealing aviation fuel is the same as cutting croners
These are just whispers in the dark that mean nothing

2 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by trainingict: 4:16am On Mar 12, 2013
Again, as I said earlier, War colleges all over the world is a very senior course, situation that threatens world peace and their prevention is a major course and not how to fire missile or torpedoes, that is, if they are ever taught there. When Dana plane crashed, we were all emotional because we lost our loved ones, We can be reactive, legislators are also human beings.That is never an excuse. DG of NCAA has been a tug of war issue. I remember during the OBJ time, the DG (from Kogi or Benue) was having a protracted sickness another person (from another geographical zone) was acting on his behalf. There was a tension between the DG and acting DG, The DG eventually died paving the way for the acting.Both of them are late now (may their soul through the mercy of God rest in peace). Capt Harold fought many battles that is beyond this forum, He should go for thanksgiving. He is a man indeed.

In future, war colleges should study what led to the boko haram and its prevention, the niger delta militancy and its panacea, the civil war and its resolution and the ductile or dummy nature of South Westerners

1 Like

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by whaley(m): 4:54am On Mar 12, 2013
This clueless GEJ administration has decided to take Nigerian aviation back into the dark ages. If Dr Demuren (a very competent and qualified person for the job) can be fired, why has the MD of FAAN and the minister of aviation not been fired for their gross incompetence? Its unfortunate this country is run by clowns from local government to the very top!

4 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Maxymilliano(m): 5:00am On Mar 12, 2013
Nairaland Politic section is gradually becoming a newspaper stand where people gathered, read freely and reeled out personal opinions as truth, and fantasies as facts.

Demuren has played his part in turning the NCAA into what it is today, no doubt, the organization has witnessed dramatic improvements over the years, but sadly, he has outlived his usefulness.

He has been hobnobbing with one crisis after another, battling to manage them, his re-appointment was mired with series of complaints and petitions against him, the expiration of his first term was hotly contested by stakeholders in the aviation sector before GEJ stepped in to douse the tension by re-appointing him and brings the issue to rest.

Indulging in conjectures and arguing over inanities is just another flight of fancy to no where. The best thing is to wish him well and keep the government on its toes to ensure another round peg is made to fill the round hole within the shortest possible time.

You are a good man Dr. Harold, I wish you well Sir!

1 Like

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by ddeola: 5:09am On Mar 12, 2013
There's time for everything my people, Demuren has made his own contribution the rest is in the hands of posterity. GEJ should know that he will also leave the office someday. Change is unending

1 Like

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by mosquitoNet(m): 5:45am On Mar 12, 2013
The drunken fisherman is at it again! After pressure by stakeholders abi? I know, I know the clueless retardeen can't take decisions on his own. He's a coward!

3 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by otokx(m): 6:06am On Mar 12, 2013
The picture is clearer now, NCAA director should be limited to a tenureship of 1 term of 5 years. The appointee though can be sacked for gross incompetence or negligience. Why did Demuren hastely return DANA license? The new man should recheck all planes on the local route, things have started deteriorating.
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by whizkidd: 6:22am On Mar 12, 2013
Jonathan is simply a spineless coward who doesn't have the character to withstand pressure from interest groups. First he removes the minister of power who did more for the power sector than anyone before him. Someone who was competent and actually demanded performance and accountability. Now he removes another accomplished technocrat who played by the rules and demanded accountability.
Instead we have a legion of non-performing ministers whose jobs have never been more secure. The minister of aviation has no history or background in aviation, which is one of the most sensitive positions due to potential deaths/collateral damage. This is someone who Arik accused of demanding part ownership for protection and someone who making threats to global airlines that she couldn't cash.
Like I always say, too many cabals and interest groups run the PDP. Every agency has been turned into cows to be milked. Anyone who plays ball survives. Anyone who plays by the rules of probity, fairness, accountability gets viciously sidelined.
In the end, Nigerians got what they wished for. Enjoy 6 more years of this mindless, visionless government.

4 Likes

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Reference(m): 6:36am On Mar 12, 2013
Omo_Tier1: If true, Nigerians should better stick to thier road travels. The ex-DG should return to the US or better go to one of those African countries and help them with the wealth of experience He has in Aviation.

When you allow a mediocre take reign of rulership cowardly act becomes the trade mark of leadership.

An outstanding professional. If not for reasons of corruption then it must be the cowboys at play. The flying community must dust their spurs for unprotected riding. Sorry.
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Nobody: 6:38am On Mar 12, 2013
Ehmmmm.... Tot he stepped down during the plane crash saga? Did he 'step up' again?
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Nobody: 6:38am On Mar 12, 2013
Mtchew!theif dey sack scammer.bird of dsame feather
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Reference(m): 6:42am On Mar 12, 2013
CFCfan:

I don't think Demuren should have been fired. I rate him as one of the best ever NCAA DGs. undecided

He was the best ever. Period. Now it is 'stakeholder' in control. Sorry.
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Reference(m): 6:48am On Mar 12, 2013
Ngwakwe: The NASS (CPC & ACN inclusive) demanded he be sacked after passing vote of no confidence on him..

GEJ also lost confidence on him, hence he was duly sacked for complacency and incompetence .

For doing what. Not speaking out and embarassing the government after the DANA crash. Said it then. It will turn round and bite him. And those he was protecting will eat him up. Its a fixed game. Head or tail you lose. Government wins all the time. Sorry.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Nobody: 6:52am On Mar 12, 2013
God help uncle Jo to appoint a DG that would institute measures of international safety standards that would guarantee my three times a week Lagos - Abuja flights. Now. this is becoming fearing somewhat... Baba God abeg for safety in this country.. maybe it's about time I changed to road travel...
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by daygee4u(m): 6:53am On Mar 12, 2013
Only God knows where this GEJ government is taking this ship to. There are so many underperforming ministers in his cabinet yet he didn't sack those ones. Yet he tells us its transformation for good or evil. what pressure could de aviation stakeholder put forward that could have led to demuren being sackd.
Is it corruption?
Is it missmanagement?
Is it lack of technical know-how?
Is it because he is determined to do the right thing?
GEJ WHAT COULD THE DG HAVE DONE THAT WOULD HAVE REQUIRED THIS ACTION. WHAT? Only God knows where this GEJ government is taking this ship to. There are so many underperforming ministers in his cabinet yet he didn't sack those ones. Yet he tells us its transformation for good or evil. what pressure could de aviation stakeholder put forward that could have led to demuren being sackd.
Is it corruption?
Is it missmanagement?
Is it lack of technical know-how?
Is it because he is determined to do the right thing?
GEJ WHAT COULD THE DG HAVE DONE THAT WOULD HAVE REQUIRED THIS ACTION. WHAT?
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by aliyumd: 7:00am On Mar 12, 2013
Sugar go, sugar come. Barrack remains the same
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by naptu2: 7:00am On Mar 12, 2013
To be fair, I can't blame GEJ for this. He did not want to sack Dr Demuren, despite intense pressure from the National Assembly, but when you are faced with a choice of retaining him and watching the National Assembly cause unnecessary delays and blockage of government’s aviation policies and removing him from office, but allowing him to continue to assist in the background, I believe it’s better to remove him.

Remember, although Azazi was removed from the position of National Security Adviser (due to pressure from PDP), he continued to advise GEJ unofficially.

1 Like

Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Reference(m): 7:01am On Mar 12, 2013
doe-eyed:
Given Dr Demuren's achievements in the past and history of being a strict stickler to rules n regulations; its a surprise this has come about only now in GEJ's shambolic govt.
I can only wish Dr D well in his future endeavours.
Seems like its time to take to the roads and avoid air travel in Naija.

I mix my travels properly. I don't play russian roulette.
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by make9jagr8: 7:05am On Mar 12, 2013
The aviation industry is one of the industries that should not be toy with,no matter the difference in our politician perspective.
As capable as Demurin is,i sicerly hope he will be replace by somebody that will complement the good job and even do better.
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by labbyboi(m): 7:06am On Mar 12, 2013
Obviously, most of dis big fools dat run there mouth lyk typewriter never knew any anyfin bout Demurin of NCAA as some of dem still type NCCA. Got get some knowledge b4 u start criticism.
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by baysol: 7:09am On Mar 12, 2013
luli4life: . President Jonathan Fires Director-General of NCAA, Harold Demuren

March 11, 2013 - 21:11 — siteadmin

Harold Demuren, the Director-General of the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, has been removed from office with immediate effect.

A statement by the office of the Secretary to the Government of the Federation said Mr. Demuren was removed as a result of pressure from "aviation stakeholders".  The statement did not say the nature of the pressure, nor indicate the stakeholders involved.

This goes on to show that indeed GEJ and his evil Igbo cohorts are up to no good and very very soon they will all be checkmated. What a bygot this man turn out to be with his wicked agenda. A man that's supposed to be blown to sliterines by Boko haram and nothing will happen. NBut fools will only dig their own graves.  

President Goodluck Jonathan was said to have approved the removal. Dr. Demuren also confirmed his removal via a text message to to Saharareporters.
http://www.saharareporters.com
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Symphony007: 7:13am On Mar 12, 2013
Well it has been a long time coming!! This man has been in office since the obasanjo government and has presided over 5 ane crash and massive corruption in the NCAA, like extortion from immigration officers and outrageous amounts of money paid by travellers for "airport maintenance"...as far as i', concerned, this man has'nt done anything significant for me to loose sleep over his sack..i just pray someone younger and smarter is appionted to bring our aviation sector into the 21st century!!
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by Nobody: 7:15am On Mar 12, 2013
ddeola: There's time for everything my people, Demuren has made his own contribution the rest is in the hands of posterity. GEJ should know that he will also leave the office someday. Change is unending

That's true...but sometimes it's so unreasonable to change a winning team. Ask NAFDAC#Akunluyi?. A bad replacement could re-invent the wheel, taking us many steps backward. I pray GEJ's committee find a good replacement over NCAA.
Re: GEJ Fires Director-General Of NCAA, Demuren by solomon111(m): 7:20am On Mar 12, 2013
This man has spent soo much time there.
I wonder why he didn't retire years ago.
A lot of plane crash,corruption and institutional decay happened under his nose.
Good riddance.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

I Didn’t Know My Ministers, Top Government Officials -buhari / Buhari Meets Obasanjo, Jonathan, Others Over Insecurity Today / Fayemi Revokes Shop Allocations, Orders Refund

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.