Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,408 members, 7,861,151 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 03:50 AM

Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe - Literature (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe (37622 Views)

Exploring Connection Between Plato’s Allegory Of The Cave And The Truman Show / African Magic By Sammy Hoe: 'WATCH' MOVIES HERE / Hope And The Island Of Greatness(season2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 7:25pm On Sep 19, 2013
ST grin RY C cheesy NTINUATI coolN

Mr. Doubt cleared his throat and began.
“Mr. Med, why should you cook up stories about what will happen to Hope in the Island when you know such island doesn’t exist at all? Then you opened room for Hope to open his mouth to open fresh talk on a never-living mister called Creator and on a never-dying man called Sage. I doubt if this evil Sage could die at all, having lived more than a century on this earth.” Hope smiled and said, “If Father Sage could be immortal, uncle, why should you then think his Creator had died long ago?”
“Keep quiet Hope!” Doubt shunned. “I’ve not given room for you to talk.”
“But here’s my room, not yours!” Hope yelled but his uncle laughed loudly.
“Once I, Doubt, have stepped my toes into any room, it takes only Giant Faith to cast me out. The worst you can do is to leave your room for me, else, you risk leaving me in the room of your heart.”
“I can’t leave my room for you!”
“You may not. All I desire is to share it with you. Hope, I’m all you need. You can’t do without me. In fact, no man can do without Doubt.”
“Father Sage does lives without you. In fact, you’re the most disgusting thing to him.”
“You’re right, Hope,” Doubt spoke. “That old man is lucky that he has gotten Giant Faith as a guard, else, I’d be sharing his room with him by now in a cordial relationship, especially now that he’s very old. Anyway, I’ve begun to consider the thought of making myself into a giant too so that I can face Giant Faith.”
“But how possible, in-law?”
“By spending the rest of my life in the Castration castle.”
“Hmm! That’s a good idea,” remarked Limitation. “So, why can’t you do that right away?”
Mr. Doubt descended into a silence of soberness as his face turned moody, getting Limitation worried. She demanded apology for her statement in haste but Doubt replied sombrely, “You’ve done nothing wrong, Lim. I should have become a eunuch a long time before now, but the consequence attached to it is what I feared greatly.” The couple demanded to know the consequence and Doubt answered, “If I surrender my manhood, then I shall be rendered impotent, meaning that I won’t be able to father a child.”
“Did you say father a child?” asked Limitation in amazement. “Don’t you have Idleness to father already?” Doubt shook his head in genuine sorrow and said, “Idleness looks far from a son to me, having made me to doubt my own self. In fact, he has made me doubt if the council would approve the Doubt School of Thought I’ve been worrying my head to establish.”
“What do you mean?” Limitation asked quickly.
“Have you forgotten how Idleness my son damaged the image of my prestige by rap*ing Virtue to death? Till today, Mr. Deaf-Ears, the chairman of the Council of the Schools of Thought in this town kept turning deaf ears to the fact that Idleness’ immoral act of rap*ng the opposite gender was engendered by his idle thoughts while folding his arms doing nothing in the Do-nothing School of Thought he was attending those days. Rather, he believes that his evil manifestation was the product of the thought I inculcated in him as a father.” Doubt paused briefly to cough. He continued, “So I’m left with the thought that my school of thought shan’t get an approval from him because he would surely be of the thought that my students shall only be taught how to become rapists. Because of these, I look forward to having another child, a good one, before becoming a eunuch in the Castration castle.”
“But you don’t have a wife anymore. How do you expect to have a baby?” Limitation spoke, leaving Doubt in a pensive mood. The man soon broke the silence as he said, “Maybe I’ll have to lure Double-mindedness back, my sweetheart who divorced me to live in the Unstable stable due to the shame brought upon us by Idleness. I doubt if Double-mindedness would prefer to continue living an unstable life in the stable for the rest of her life.”
The house went dead in silence once more.

2 Likes

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 7:41pm On Sep 19, 2013
Question 23

Whose tears dropped on Dwarf Faith's head?
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 8:42pm On Sep 19, 2013
Sammy Hoe: ST grin RY C cheesy NTINUATI coolN

Mr. Doubt cleared his throat and began.
“Mr. Med, why should you cook up stories about what will happen to Hope in the Island when you know such island doesn’t exist at all? Then you opened room for Hope to open his mouth to open fresh talk on a never-living mister called Creator and on a never-dying man called Sage. I doubt if this evil Sage could die at all, having lived more than a century on this earth.” Hope smiled and said, “If Father Sage could be immortal, uncle, why should you then think his Creator had died long ago?”
“Keep quiet Hope!” Doubt shunned. “I’ve not given room for you to talk.”
“But here’s my room, not yours!” Hope yelled but his uncle laughed loudly.
“Once I, Doubt, have stepped my toes into any room, it takes only Giant Faith to cast me out. The worst you can do is to leave your room for me, else, you risk leaving me in the room of your heart.”
“I can’t leave my room for you!”
“You may not. All I desire is to share it with you. Hope, I’m all you need. You can’t do without me. In fact, no man can do without Doubt.”
“Father Sage does lives without you. In fact, you’re the most disgusting thing to him.”
“You’re right, Hope,” Doubt spoke. “That old man is lucky that he has gotten Giant Faith as a guard, else, I’d be sharing his room with him by now in a cordial relationship, especially now that he’s very old. Anyway, I’ve begun to consider the thought of making myself into a giant too so that I can face Giant Faith.”
“But how possible, in-law?”
“By spending the rest of my life in the Castration castle.”
“Hmm! That’s a good idea,” remarked Limitation. “So, why can’t you do that right away?”
Mr. Doubt descended into a silence of soberness as his face turned moody, getting Limitation worried. She demanded apology for her statement in haste but Doubt replied sombrely, “You’ve done nothing wrong, Lim. I should have become a eunuch a long time before now, but the consequence attached to it is what I feared greatly.” The couple demanded to know the consequence and Doubt answered, “If I surrender my manhood, then I shall be rendered impotent, meaning that I won’t be able to father a child.”
“Did you say father a child?” asked Limitation in amazement. “Don’t you have Idleness to father already?” Doubt shook his head in genuine sorrow and said, “Idleness looks far from a son to me, having made me to doubt my own self. In fact, he has made me doubt if the council would approve the Doubt School of Thought I’ve been worrying my head to establish.”
“What do you mean?” Limitation asked quickly.
“Have you forgotten how Idleness my son damaged the image of my prestige by rap*ing Virtue to death? Till today, Mr. Deaf-Ears, the chairman of the Council of the Schools of Thought in this town kept turning deaf ears to the fact that Idleness’ immoral act of rap*ng the opposite gender was engendered by his idle thoughts while folding his arms doing nothing in the Do-nothing School of Thought he was attending those days. Rather, he believes that his evil manifestation was the product of the thought I inculcated in him as a father.” Doubt paused briefly to cough. He continued, “So I’m left with the thought that my school of thought shan’t get an approval from him because he would surely be of the thought that my students shall only be taught how to become rapists. Because of these, I look forward to having another child, a good one, before becoming a eunuch in the Castration castle.”
“But you don’t have a wife anymore. How do you expect to have a baby?” Limitation spoke, leaving Doubt in a pensive mood. The man soon broke the silence as he said, “Maybe I’ll have to lure Double-mindedness back, my sweetheart who divorced me to live in the Unstable stable due to the shame brought upon us by Idleness. I doubt if Double-mindedness would prefer to continue living an unstable life in the stable for the rest of her life.”
The house went dead in silence once more.
I cant wait for the remaining part of this chapter. I hope u will post it 2nite.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 8:43pm On Sep 19, 2013
Sammy Hoe: Question 23

Whose tears dropped on Dwarf Faith's head?
Giant faith
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 8:46pm On Sep 19, 2013
Michaellegend:
I cant wait for the remaining part of this chapter. I hope u will post it 2nite.
I'll try...but can't u wait till 2mao? Cos 2mao is posting day..
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 8:51pm On Sep 19, 2013
Michaellegend:
Giant faith
Mlegend is right!!!
Mlegend 34pts
Karev 26pts
Damex 15pts
Joseph 1pt
Me 0pt grin
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 8:55pm On Sep 19, 2013
Sammy Hoe:
I'll try...but can't u wait till 2mao? Cos 2mao is posting day..
Okk. But u will still post 2nite,'rite?
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 19, 2013
Michaellegend:
Okk. But u will still post 2nite,'rite?
Yeah...but ma indomie is on fire now
...lemme go check
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 9:13pm On Sep 19, 2013
Sammy Hoe:
Yeah...but ma indomie is on fire now
...lemme go check
Check am fast cos i dey come and i knw say my portion dey dere

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 19, 2013
ST grin RY C coolNTINUATI kissN

“Anyway, there’s one thing that endears me to Idleness my son,” Doubt smiled eventually and his dimples came out charming.
“Wow!” Limitation sounded. “Can I know the deep secret behind your deep dimples?”
“Idleness hasn’t for once considered the thought of journeying to the Island of Greatness. Though he’s got hands and legs, he hardly uses them, preferring to laze around and remain idle all day. Lim, if you can bring up Standy in such outstanding manner too, it’ll be of great advantage for the family. Let Standaloof never know how to take a step in life so as to prevent her from stepping on the concrete steps of the Knowledge School of Thought, and ultimately, from stepping into the deadly River of Achievement.” Limitation and Mediocrity thanked Doubt for his advice, saying, “We are very grateful for this advice you’ve lent us,” but Hope said, “I shall be a very great fool to relent on this advice. Not taking a step, is such life? To me, taking life step by step is what I call good life.”
“Keep shut and listen to Doubt, your uncle!” Limitation bawled at Hope but Doubt kept her silent as he said, “Hope is not wholesomely wrong. If Idleness hadn’t been staying idle, then the three sons of Mr. Liar, namely Evil Thought, Wishy-Washy and Daydream would not have paid him a visit to advise him to rape Vice and Virtue.”
“Do you mean Idleness raped Vice too?” the couple asked ignorantly.
“Yes of course! But Virtue’s rape was the talk of the town because she died in the process. Personally, Virtue’s death is quite painful to me because she died with her priceless cachets: she’s kind, nice, meek, gentle...”
“Loving, forgiving, respectful, a virgin...” continued Limitation.
“Slow to wrath, never gossiping, ever rejoicing, easy-going, obedient to her parents...” Mediocrity came in, but Doubt interrupted, “Missing this miss who is now demise is a great miss for me in particular.”
“Why is it a great miss for you in particular?” Mediocrity wanted to know.
“I’ve been casting my eyes on her long ago before Idleness killed her. In fact, I’ve approached her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Peacemaker, to ask for her hands in marriage but they told me that her price was too costly, more costly than a million rubies.”
“What was her price?” the couple demanded and Doubt responded, “That was exactly what I asked them eagerly then and they gave me these answers: they asked me to divorce Double-mindedness because Virtue wouldn’t live under the same roof with her as a second wife.”
“That you should have done easily,” the couple spoke excitedly, but Doubt replied, “It’s not all: they also told me to kill Idleness my only son or stop him from attending the Do-nothing School of Thought he was attending those days. They also said I should destroy the foundation of the Doubt School of Thought I’ve laid and give away the land of Despair my father. As if it wasn’t enough, they asked me to change my name to Endowment in lieu of Doubt and evacuate the Flirts’ flats.”
“Are these Virtue’s price?” asked Limitation stunningly and Doubt nodded in the affirmative. “Costlier than a million rubies indeed,” the couple commented but Doubt responded, “It’s even costlier. They asked me not to have anything doing with Revenge, to enroll in the Knowledge School of Thought as a student, to make Father Sage my best friend—”
“Isn’t that all?” Limitation barged in impatiently, being irate by the seemingly endless demands of the Peacemakers. “More!” Doubt responded. “They also said I should accept the existence of Father Creator and end my relationship with that rich mister called Atheist who has employed me as a pedagogue in his gorgeous synagogue called the Synagogue of Sinners, which is a skyscraper. They also advised me to adopt Hope and encourage him to hurry up to get to the Island of Greatness.”
“What?” the couple screamed, allowing their hot wrath against the Peacemakers in absentia to tamper with their tempers. However, Doubt said, “This will even tamper with the temper of your temple the more: they asked me to have nothing doing with you Limitation and you Mediocrity.”
“They must be totally mad!” Limitation’s wrath waxed hot as she reflexively sent Standaloof’s clay toy crashing to the earth. The mute thing did not survive the accident, having had her head chopped off in the process. However, Limitation paid no attention to its piteous condition; rather, she barked again, “Mr. Peacemaker and his wife are completely mad!”
“I doubt it,” came up Doubt’s voice to get his sister into shock. She asked at once, “What did you just say, brother?”
“I said I doubt if the Peacemakers are completely mad.” Limitation and Mediocrity frowned in dissatisfaction as they expected him to give a reason. They hadn’t waited long before Doubt uttered, “If I had listened to them to divorce Double-mindedness earlier, she wouldn’t have been the one to humiliate me by divorcing me eventually. Also, if I had heeded their advice to kill Idleness, then he would not have remained alive to rape Virtue to death eventually, or if otherwise I’d withdrawn him from the Do-nothing School of Thought on time, I wouldn’t have had to do that later in humiliation when I couldn’t afford his exorbitant fee anymore. Also, it would have paid off for me if I’d heeded their advice to destroy my foundation by myself before Giant Faith came to humiliate me by destroying it later. Again, if I’d listened to them and had left the Flirts’ flats earlier, then I would have been free from the present stress of the thought of leaving for the Castration castle now. So—with all these points, I don’t think Virtue’s family is totally mad.”
“But is it humane to demand the death of a life and the divorce of a wife as they did?” Mediocrity asked. Doubt answered, “They are wise, knowing quite well that it would be impossible for Virtue and I to live a compatible couple’s life. I mean Virtue can’t be the will of nature for me. So, in order to scare me out of asking her out further, they gave me those costly conditions. Silence prevailed a minute, which was soon interrupted by the eruption of a confusing noise oozing in through the holes in the walls outside. Instantly, all eyes turned to make the eyesores (the cracks on the walls) the cynosures of their eyes, but Limitation was the first to gather herself together and get close to the cracks. She yelled at the sight of the unwanted guests. They numbered up to a dozen.

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 19, 2013
Question 24

What is the full meaning of SMSOT?
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Karevwite: 10:05pm On Sep 19, 2013
choi i jen2 dai wait 4 2mao update
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 10:08pm On Sep 19, 2013
Sammy Hoe: Question 24

What is the full meaning of SMSOT?
Simple minded school of thought
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 19, 2013
Karev_wite: choi i jen2 dai wait 4 2mao update
Why u no wan answer again nah? D question n answer will bcom less competitive on dat way nah.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 10:14pm On Sep 19, 2013
Michaellegend:
Simple minded school of thought
Correct!
You 37pts
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 10:23pm On Sep 19, 2013
###Let me leave you with this post tonight. Tomorrow by God's grace we'll continue. ...I'm sad...
St embarassedry C cryntinuati angryn

“What is your business here?” she screamed at them. Her desperate voice got them scared. “I ask, what is your mission in this place?” she yelled further, and for fear one of them fled, letting a scroll roll off his hold. Everyone was amazed at the manner he fled. Again, Limitation yelled, “I say who are you and what is your mission in this—?” Limitation paused when one of the guests stepped forward suddenly.
“I’m Audacity,” responded the fearless of the visitors. He had a fierce face, sunburned, such that his head could be mistaken for an overdone loaf of bread. The tans on his face was unevenly distributed round his amorphous head. He was a ragged bulky man with a gigantic physique, unlike the physique of the fleeing hatchet-faced visitor. His eyes took the shapes of two adjoining cogwheels, with his upper lips curving down upon the lower one like the beaks of an eagle. The red abscesses glommed around his face as well as the black scar sitting just above his upper lip gave him a scary look. His huge hands overgrown with thick hairs gave the inkling that he was a hairy man. Down his right and left cheeks lay some scattered patches of bristles culminating into a dirty black goatee on his chin. The way he scratched his body suggested that he had lice lying underneath the thick hairs growing on it.
“As I just said, my name is Audacity from the City of Disorder. I am the ambassador sent to this town to invite the great Mr. Doubt to our city to hear his great speech.” In ecstasy, Mr. Doubt stepped out hurriedly as he said, “You are all welcome. Did you all come together?”
“Not at all,” they chorused. “We don’t know each other. We came from different destinations. Doubt gaped at them in disbelief and asked askance, “Then how did you all come here together? I mean how did you know that I’m here?”
“We met at your home coincidentally but Idleness your son directed us here,” they responded.
“But who is that young man who fled and left his scroll on the floor?” he demanded. No one spoke, for they were ignorant of his identity. Eventually, Audacity responded, “He’s Tim, from the Town of Cowardice. At my sight earlier, he almost fled too.”
“Hmm!” Doubt hummed. “I’ve heard of Timidity few months back. He’s the ambassador of the Town of Cowardice to this town. I learnt that Timidity attained this great ambassadorial position for being the most cowed human in that town. According to the information I gathered about him, he’s afraid of everything, including the mucus in his nostrils.” Mr. Doubt bent to pick the scroll. “I think Tim’s timidity is a great plus for him today.”
“How come?” asked Audacity in confusion.
“Because his scroll I shall begin with. And perhaps the Town of Cowardice will be the first I’ll reach.”
At Doubt’s declaration, the visitors jostled their ways before him to have their scrolls collected by him as they chanted, “Do come to my town first!”
“Ghetto of Retrograde is ready for you!”
“We need you in the Valley of Failure!”
“City of Disorder is the best place to be!”
“Okay, okay, I’ll come to your towns and cities. You can leave now,” Doubt responded at last and they concurred concurrently, but reluctantly, as they began to exit the ramshackle.
As the family returned to Hope’s room, they found him almost dozing.
“Don’t tell me that Doubt’s little dosage is making you doze off already, Hope,” said the man proudly. “Anyway, you can have an overdose if you wish.”
“Uncle, it’s high time you left me alone,” Hope replied tiredly but Doubt responded, ‘Not yet. As you can see, people from afar are here to seek me but all you want to do is to forsake me. Here are scrolls of invitations from far and wide just to listen to my speech and pay me for it, yet you refused to get my golden speeches for free.”
“Your speeches are not golden uncle,” Hope gave an immediate response.
“Okay, listen to this one I gave in the Island of Stagnancy, will you?” Doubt requested and Hope responded, “Of course I will! Just go on.” Mr. Doubt smiled and said, “I’m glad my boy that you’ve given me the space to speak at last. He laid his heavy left arm on Hope’s shoulder and left it there as he said, “Listen carefully to every little detail.”
“I’m listening,” concurred Hope as he paid rapt attention.
Doubt began.
“All you people of this Island, the Island of Stagnancy, I hereby commend your efforts for recommending me to come here once again to deliver a speech. As I said the last time, the pregnancy of stagnancy is better than the prospect of progress. If you remain where you are, then you get used to that spot and feel the bliss of nature there. But if you leave that spot to another, you shall suffer the inability of adaptability. I shall tell you a sad story about the tragedy mobility has brought to my family. Before beginning my brief story of grief, I shall give a brief description of my background: I am Doubt, surnamed Despair. I’m the eldest of four children—Fugitive the second and Vagabond the third, both males, and our little sister Limitation. My mother’s name was Hindrance and dad Despair. Despite the fact that dad, Mr. Despair, told us stories of Discouragement his father to discourage us from leaving the home called the Den of Despair, my two younger brothers, Fugitive and Vagabond, broke loose from Hindrance’s hindrance to find the way to the Island of Greatness. They roamed everywhere for the River of Achievement without finding it. Eventually, they decided to reside beside the refuse site around the Abandoned abode for the shame of returning home. O Stagnantees, if Fugitive and Vagabond hadn’t proceeded with the motion, but had remained motionless in the Den of Despair my father’s home, tell me, would they have ended up becoming wanderers? NO! However, I appreciated mum’s effort, whose response to the sad event of her children’s loss was eventually responsible for the passionate limitation of Limitation’s movement. She trained her where and where not to go and now that she’s old she hasn’t departed from her teachings. So Stagnant fellows, remain stagnant with your stags in the starvation of stagflation and wear rags forever. Life is best in stagnancy than in wandering. Stay put where nature puts you. I remain Doubt Despair, the only person whose words you should not doubt.”
Limitation ranted and chanted as she clapped her hands happily at the speech and Mediocrity joined her. Vulnerability was carried away by the man’s wit too, only Hope remained lacklustre due to the weakness in his bones. However, Doubt asked, “Hope, did you listen carefully?”
“Yes,” responded Hope wanly, “But there’s a little confusion in my brain.” Doubt demanded to hear him mention it and Hope asked, “Is there a possibility that Father Sage’s teachings are errors?”
“A lot of possibilities,” Doubt gave a prompt response. “That old man said there’s Island of Greatness but himself remains in one of the lowest cottages for years. He preaches peace yet he uses the Faiths to propagate violence. He professes to be wise, yet he hasn’t been able to use his wisdom to obtain the full control of this town. He said shedding blood is wrong yet Mr. Wickedness died in the hands of his own cousin, Giant Faith, who hit Wickedness to death and destroyed his school of thought. His hands are not clean!” Doubt screamed and added, “Just go through my polemics and you shall discover how wrong the adages of that Sage are.”
“Headache!” Hope began to complain. “Weakness,” he yawned. “I need to rest now and meditate on your speech.” The boy slumped suddenly and slumbered immediately.
“He’s far gone,” Doubt whispered happily as Limitation pulled him and said, “You’ve done it brother! Your sweet words achieved this!” She basked in the euphoria of the conquest of Hope her son.

Goodniyt...
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 10:33pm On Sep 19, 2013
why r u sad??
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 6:45am On Sep 20, 2013
Gud morning buddies!
Today is posting day. No questions and answers today. Just read the posts and make comments to make it go on. Happy Friday grin cheesy
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 7:00am On Sep 20, 2013
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
THE NIGHTMARE OF HOPE IN THE DAY

Hope strode towards the bank of a river. The sands beneath his feet were the finest he had ever seen—milky white. He arched his back and took a handful. He smiled as he felt the pleasant frigidity of the sands. Gently he allowed them pour out of his open palms through the slits between his digits. The cool breeze had blown his tensions away and had left him in the bliss of the hope of crossing the river easily. The sky was clear and no cloud was in it to render it overcast. Evergreen trees bowed towards Hope to pay him obeisance, for they had been made to do so by obeying the touch of the visiting gentle wind. The deciduous ones decided to shed their leaves for him as well at the presence of the hero-in-the-making. It was the River of Achievement. Hope gazed up and noticed the inviting smiles of the low sun. It was as though all things around him were cheering him up. The hummocks around him reflected the ray of the sun into his eyes, perhaps to psych him up too. A brown mongoose scuttled after a snake. Hope saw it and his joy was full. A golden bird hovered over his head and flew fast across the river to show him the way.
“At last!” Hope sighed gladly as he psyched up himself to step into the water. He turned to see what he had left behind, but then he found Doubt standing there.
“Uncle Doubt!” Hope screamed in shock. Doubt drew close and revealed the most charming smiles Hope had ever seen. Doubt’s teeth appeared sparklingly white and alluring. He had a white robe on him which seemed to glitter in the gloaming, the brightness of the beams almost blinded Hope eyes. The diamond charm bracelet around his neck appeared priceless making him appear like the doppelganger of an angel. He now had no spectacle on his face, yet those scary glares were nowhere to be found, instead, a glinting smile stuck to his cheeks, which appeared to have been dinted there by nature. His white eyelashes which he fluttered intermittently would make Hope falter when he stared at them for too long. He had to take his eyes off them.
“My dear Hope, what are you doing near this dangerous river?” Doubt spoke softly and his voice sounded again and again, no thanks to the cliffs and hummocks around, which had re-echoed his dulcet tone. However, Hope replied, “It is not a dangerous river, and to cross it to the Island of Greatness am I come.” Hope ignored Doubt and turned to the river again but Doubt pulled him back.
“Do you want the sharks and whales in this ocean to feed on you?”
“This is not an ocean, uncle, it is a river and Father Sage has told me that it is a free gentle-flowing river, only that it’s wide. The reality of these facts I could see, even now.”
“Ha! Ha! Ha!” Doubt laughed. “Jumping down from this hill into this ocean is even enough risk to take your life let alone swimming in it. So, Hopelessness, let’s turn back and get back home.”
“This bank isn’t a hill! It’s low-lying compared to the cliffs out there!” Hope hollered. “Its elevation is almost of insignificant height above sea level yet you call it a hill, just as you called this river an ocean earlier. Father Sage warned me not to listen to you, else you’ll make me doubt the reality of the realities I have both seen and heard.” Doubt wrinkled his face, thus increasing the creases defacing it, then he said, “Hopelessness, don’t believe that old wizard called Sage. Frankly speaking, he was the husband of Mother Witch before she divorced him long ago. Father Sage is sly!” Doubt fobbed up and held up the fob at the centre of his coat to call Hope’s attention to the Watch of Despair in there.
Hope wouldn’t listen. “It’s a lie!” Hope retaliated. “Mother Witch is the arch-enemy of Father Sage—the proof you can get from the long mile separating their homes.”
“Ha! Ha! Ha!” Doubt laughed briskly. “Believe it or not, Hopelessness, the issue is that you shouldn’t dip yourself into this deep blue deep ocean issuing storms and waves.”
“Here’s another lie, you scaremonger! This river isn’t deep and the colour isn’t deep blue. I can’t see any storms or waves in it too. I must leave now!”
Before Doubt could utter any more word, his ward had rushed forward and plunged into the river. He was swimming fast away from Doubt. However, Doubt remained screaming “Hopelessness! Come back!” Though Doubt’s voice travelled distances, Hope seemed not to have heard it, having focused his attention on getting to the other end of the river successfully.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 7:44am On Sep 20, 2013
Sammy Hoe: Gud morning buddies!
Today is posting day. No questions and answers today. Just read the posts and make comments to make it go on. Happy Friday grin cheesy
Good morning.
Dats a gud idea...pls post more, i will patiently wait for the updates.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 8:13am On Sep 20, 2013
After a long while, Hope was still halfway in the long river. Just about that time he decided to turn back his face to see how much distance he had covered by using Doubt’s spot as a reference point. As he gazed backward, he saw Doubt waving at him from the top of a hill, yet it was the exact low-lying spot Hope had left him. Still in the wonderment of the sight, Hope began to hear Doubt clearly now, screaming, “Hopelessness! There’s a shark!” In fret, Hope turned around again but was amazed at the fast rolling storms and whooshing waves directed towards him. For the fear of the fierce whirlpool chasing him, he almost fainted in the river. Just then, he saw sharks in the approaching storms and blue whales hiding in the waves of the river turned ocean dramatically. As he swam back hastily, he began to perceive the odour of his own sweat that had begun to pour out of their pores profusely. Hope found a whale lurking ahead and a shark closing on him from behind. He found it hopeless to keep swimming, and in a matter of second, he found himself halfway in the mouths of a shark and a whale.
“Help!” Hope screamed out of his sleep, scaring Standaloof out of life, since she was the one who had just pulled the Blanket of Restriction off his body, thus terminating the dream. From the corner of the room came Limitation’s voice in anger as she ululated, “Vulne! Why did you leave Standaloof close to Hope?”
“I—I was scared of her cry when I wanted to—to take her away from there earlier,” lamented Vulnerability. “So—I left her alone.”
“Have you seen what you’ve caused?” Limitation was annoyed still. “You’ve allowed her to terminate Hope’s dream by letting her pull off the blanket from his body.”
“I—I’m sorry,” Vulnerability begged with eyes clogged with tears but Limitation ignored him and approached Hope who was weeping and whispering to himself at a corner.
“Ta, ta!”Standaloof was dancing on a spot.
“Father Sage is a liar! Father Sage is a liar!” sobbed Hope passionately and his mother heard him.
“Hope, what is the matter?” she asked and Hope replied, “I—I have a terrible nightmare!”
“Nightmare?” Limitation was puzzled. With utmost seriousness, she said, “You can’t have nightmares in the day. It’s not just possible! This is only noon, not night.”
“But Father Sage said one could daydream at night,” Hope replied.
“Father Sage is a liar,” Limitation spoke angrily. “Daydreams are limited to daytimes alone and nightmares to nights. So—Hope, what you had was a terrible daydream, not nightmare,” she admonished. “Can you share your daydream with me, little Hope?” As Hope shared the nightmare, he sobbed and asked for his mum’s forgiveness, then he renounced his faith in the Sage as he said, “I now believe all the quotes of uncle Doubt and disbelief all the doctrines of Father Sage and the teachings in the Knowledge School of Thought.”
Limitation was excited. She said, “Good of you my son!” She then gave him a tight hug. “Someday, we shall ask Mr. Nonsense to rechristen you Hopelessness.”
“No need for that, mum, because I have seen my hopeless state in the dream myself. While in the mouths of those two fishes, I silently rechristened myself HOPELESSNESS.”
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 10:14am On Sep 20, 2013
Sammy Hoe: After a long while, Hope was still halfway in the long river. Just about that time he decided to turn back his face to see how much distance he had covered by using Doubt’s spot as a reference point. As he gazed backward, he saw Doubt waving at him from the top of a hill, yet it was the exact low-lying spot Hope had left him. Still in the wonderment of the sight, Hope began to hear Doubt clearly now, screaming, “Hopelessness! There’s a shark!” In fret, Hope turned around again but was amazed at the fast rolling storms and whooshing waves directed towards him. For the fear of the fierce whirlpool chasing him, he almost fainted in the river. Just then, he saw sharks in the approaching storms and blue whales hiding in the waves of the river turned ocean dramatically. As he swam back hastily, he began to perceive the odour of his own sweat that had begun to pour out of their pores profusely. Hope found a whale lurking ahead and a shark closing on him from behind. He found it hopeless to keep swimming, and in a matter of second, he found himself halfway in the mouths of a shark and a whale.
“Help!” Hope screamed out of his sleep, scaring Standaloof out of life, since she was the one who had just pulled the Blanket of Restriction off his body, thus terminating the dream. From the corner of the room came Limitation’s voice in anger as she ululated, “Vulne! Why did you leave Standaloof close to Hope?”
“I—I was scared of her cry when I wanted to—to take her away from there earlier,” lamented Vulnerability. “So—I left her alone.”
“Have you seen what you’ve caused?” Limitation was annoyed still. “You’ve allowed her to terminate Hope’s dream by letting her pull off the blanket from his body.”
“I—I’m sorry,” Vulnerability begged with eyes clogged with tears but Limitation ignored him and approached Hope who was weeping and whispering to himself at a corner.
“Ta, ta!”Standaloof was dancing on a spot.
“Father Sage is a liar! Father Sage is a liar!” sobbed Hope passionately and his mother heard him.
“Hope, what is the matter?” she asked and Hope replied, “I—I have a terrible nightmare!”
“Nightmare?” Limitation was puzzled. With utmost seriousness, she said, “You can’t have nightmares in the day. It’s not just possible! This is only noon, not night.”
“But Father Sage said one could daydream at night,” Hope replied.
“Father Sage is a liar,” Limitation spoke angrily. “Daydreams are limited to daytimes alone and nightmares to nights. So—Hope, what you had was a terrible daydream, not nightmare,” she admonished. “Can you share your daydream with me, little Hope?” As Hope shared the nightmare, he sobbed and asked for his mum’s forgiveness, then he renounced his faith in the Sage as he said, “I now believe all the quotes of uncle Doubt and disbelief all the doctrines of Father Sage and the teachings in the Knowledge School of Thought.”
Limitation was excited. She said, “Good of you my son!” She then gave him a tight hug. “Someday, we shall ask Mr. Nonsense to rechristen you Hopelessness.”
“No need for that, mum, because I have seen my hopeless state in the dream myself. While in the mouths of those two fishes, I silently rechristened myself HOPELESSNESS.”
D mind is the gateway to our life, we must not give people a chance to create a negative impact in our life...
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 20, 2013
Michaellegend:
D mind is the gateway to our life, we must not give people a chance to create a negative impact in our life...
Tru talk bro! U'r getting d story line perfectly... after all what Hope has heard from d old man he still fell into Doubt's prey just by meditating on his word. The moral lesson here is not to give doubt any space in our daily interactions.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 10:33am On Sep 20, 2013
Limitation clapped and danced around Hope joyfully, then she sat before him and held him tight again, but Hope said wanly, “Mum, I’m very frail now. All I want is to set my eyes on Doubt my uncle and apologize for all my rude behaviour towards him ever since.”
“Sorry, but Doubt has departed for the Town of Cowardice few hours back.”
“Dang! I’m hungry and thirsty!”
“I’ll get you lunch,” said Limitation, getting up at once, but Hope held her and said, “All I need is uncle Doubt’s quotable quotes to eat as food and his speckless speeches to drink as water. He’s a nice man. He was the one warning me in my dream to avoid the Ocean of Achievement. Father Sage didn’t show his ugly face.”
Limitation smiled quizzically as she led Hope to the living room and showed him Doubt’s quotes hung on the walls. Hope saw them and was amazed, having not noticed them there before. Avidly, he began to read:
“Doubt all things except Doubt’s words;
For if you doubt Doubt you die quick—Doubt Despair.
My doubts are the only doubts you should not doubt,
Because they are doubtlessly outstanding — Doubt Despair.
You can’t do without me; In fact, no man can do without Doubt — Doubt Despair.
Consider my thoughts and support the construction of my school of thought — Doubt Despair.
If I don’t see it, I don’t believe it — Doubt Despair.

Many speeches of Sage can only get you motivated,
But a single word of Doubt is all you need to get you activated — Doubt Despair.

Appreciate nature so you don’t depreciate.
But doubt the existence of Father Creator — Doubt Despair.
Seek Doubt so you don’t get sick of believing — Doubt Despair.
Doubt Faith and have faith in Doubt — Doubt Despair.

Mediocrity is good, limitation is as good; therefore, limit your hope by standing aloof so that you don’t become vulnerable to the Hurt of the evil ones who are wishing to hurt you with alacrity — Doubt Despair.
“Wow!” Hope exhilarated. “I’ve not seen these precious quotes on these walls ever since,” he confessed at last, but Limitation confessed otherwise saying, “I see them every day but I don’t know what they bear, since I cannot read and write. They are sweet to the soul.” Limitation was glad.
“And also satisfying,” Hope added. “I’ve had a bellyful already, but—I’m still thirsty. Is there not a speech of Doubt to read to quench this thirst?” Limitation grinned as she reached for a tablet close by, which was having a decorated edging.
“Doubt left this behind for you. Take and—” Hope snaffled it and read at once:
A speech delivered in the Valley of Failure when some failures desired to leave their town during intense famine in the land: O ye Failures! I count it a great privilege to be counted worthy to speak to the great people of this great land flowing with the milk and honey of failure. I’m glad that nature has endowed you with this large area of land which is even wider than the Happy-Go-Lucky itself. It is quite disheartening to hear that some youths gave heed to that wanderer called Knowledge when he came here to tell you that you could get to the Island of Greatness. But you’re lucky that I’m here at the nick of time to tell you that you should not desert this large desert to an unknown one to eat strange dessert. Stay within the domain of failure and don’t fail to lure others to this town—this blessed town of failure: there is no place like home.
Life is a mirage, therefore assume that your bitter milk and honey are actually sweet whenever you are sucking and licking them. Also assume that those Trees of Failure yielding the unpleasant Fruit of Failure are actually yielding the luscious Fruit of Success. Take the Island of Greatness for a mirage and pretend as thought it does not exist.
Here are the wordy worthy worldly words of Doubt—Doubt Despair, the only words that you should not doubt.
Hope laughed “Ha! Ha! Ha!” as he held the plaque tight to his chest and yelled, “My thirst is quenched!” Limitation joined him in rejoicing. Mediocrity and Vulnerability came in too, to join in the fun—only Standaloof was left out, for Limitation had laid her on her cradle to sleep.

1 Like

Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Karevwite: 11:14am On Sep 20, 2013
Sammy Hoe: Limitation clapped and danced around Hope joyfully, then she sat before him and held him tight again, but Hope said wanly, “Mum, I’m very frail now. All I want is to set my eyes on Doubt my uncle and apologize for all my rude behaviour towards him ever since.”
“Sorry, but Doubt has departed for the Town of Cowardice few hours back.”
“Dang! I’m hungry and thirsty!”
“I’ll get you lunch,” said Limitation, getting up at once, but Hope held her and said, “All I need is uncle Doubt’s quotable quotes to eat as food and his speckless speeches to drink as water. He’s a nice man. He was the one warning me in my dream to avoid the Ocean of Achievement. Father Sage didn’t show his ugly face.”
Limitation smiled quizzically as she led Hope to the living room and showed him Doubt’s quotes hung on the walls. Hope saw them and was amazed, having not noticed them there before. Avidly, he began to read:
“Doubt all things except Doubt’s words;
For if you doubt Doubt you die quick—Doubt Despair.
My doubts are the only doubts you should not doubt,
Because they are doubtlessly outstanding — Doubt Despair.
You can’t do without me; In fact, no man can do without Doubt — Doubt Despair.
Consider my thoughts and support the construction of my school of thought — Doubt Despair.
If I don’t see it, I don’t believe it — Doubt Despair.

Many speeches of Sage can only get you motivated,
But a single word of Doubt is all you need to get you activated — Doubt Despair.

Appreciate nature so you don’t depreciate.
But doubt the existence of Father Creator — Doubt Despair.
Seek Doubt so you don’t get sick of believing — Doubt Despair.
Doubt Faith and have faith in Doubt — Doubt Despair.

Mediocrity is good, limitation is as good; therefore, limit your hope by standing aloof so that you don’t become vulnerable to the Hurt of the evil ones who are wishing to hurt you with alacrity — Doubt Despair.
“Wow!” Hope exhilarated. “I’ve not seen these precious quotes on these walls ever since,” he confessed at last, but Limitation confessed otherwise saying, “I see them every day but I don’t know what they bear, since I cannot read and write. They are sweet to the soul.” Limitation was glad.
“And also satisfying,” Hope added. “I’ve had a bellyful already, but—I’m still thirsty. Is there not a speech of Doubt to read to quench this thirst?” Limitation grinned as she reached for a tablet close by, which was having a decorated edging.
“Doubt left this behind for you. Take and—” Hope snaffled it and read at once:
A speech delivered in the Valley of Failure when some failures desired to leave their town during intense famine in the land: O ye Failures! I count it a great privilege to be counted worthy to speak to the great people of this great land flowing with the milk and honey of failure. I’m glad that nature has endowed you with this large area of land which is even wider than the Happy-Go-Lucky itself. It is quite disheartening to hear that some youths gave heed to that wanderer called Knowledge when he came here to tell you that you could get to the Island of Greatness. But you’re lucky that I’m here at the nick of time to tell you that you should not desert this large desert to an unknown one to eat strange dessert. Stay within the domain of failure and don’t fail to lure others to this town—this blessed town of failure: there is no place like home.
Life is a mirage, therefore assume that your bitter milk and honey are actually sweet whenever you are sucking and licking them. Also assume that those Trees of Failure yielding the unpleasant Fruit of Failure are actually yielding the luscious Fruit of Success. Take the Island of Greatness for a mirage and pretend as thought it does not exist.
Here are the wordy worthy worldly words of Doubt—Doubt Despair, the only words that you should not doubt.
Hope laughed “Ha! Ha! Ha!” as he held the plaque tight to his chest and yelled, “My thirst is quenched!” Limitation joined him in rejoicing. Mediocrity and Vulnerability came in too, to join in the fun—only Standaloof was left out, for Limitation had laid her on her cradle to sleep.
hmmm ds is gettin mre interesting...
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 12:15pm On Sep 20, 2013
Hope began to get lean, having to pause and lean on the walls each time he was walking. The loss of his friends, Goodwill, Goodwill and Gooddream, was driving him mad. Hope wept all days at the remembrance of them and his yearns to see them again gave him severe headache. In two weeks, he had turned weaker than the wick of a candle. He desired to see Doubt, believing he would be the solution, but the man would be away for three weeks to honour all the invitations he had received from different towns and villages.
Hope lay sick the third week. His strength seemed not capable to carry him anymore. He was shivering vigorously, having his head on Limitations lap as she said, “Hope, don’t die now. You have a lot to accomplish, O! Hopelessness! You must construct the Hopeless School of Thought and detract every youth from seeking the Island of Greatness. You must let every city discover the falsity of Father Sage’s doctrines and destroy his temple. You must grow to judge this town and cast away Justice and the Faiths.”
“I-I m-must,” Hope concurred with difficulty, and then Limitation said, “Hope, your uncle shall soon be here. He arrived Happy-Go-Lucky few minutes ago. I have sent Vulne to fetch him.”
“T—Thank y-you mother,” Hope whispered gladly and coughed.
Doubt soon arrived.
“Uncle, thank you so much,” Hope said as he managed to sit up.
“Thanks for what?” asked Doubt as though unaware of Hope’s present state of mind.
“I have given up on the Island of Greatness. Thanks to your dosage of quotes. I apologize for my rude behaviour towards you all these years.”
“Why this sudden change of heart and attitude?”
“In my dream I was about to cross the Ocean of Achievement to the Island of Greatness, but you warned me. I refused, and then I found myself stuck between the toothy mouths of two large fishes. I wailed in the mouth of the whale and shrieked in the lips of the shark; then I woke up.”
“Hmm!” Doubt exhaled and began to sob. “I’m glad I witnessed this great day, Hopelessness. I wouldn’t open my eyes to see you die in that Ocean of Mischievousness leading to the Island of Great Mess. I know that you’d surely be thirsty by the time you woke up that day, that day you absorbed my dosage and dozed off, so I dropped the speech I delivered in the Valley of Failure for you to quench your thirst. Have you read it?”
“Yes! Thanks uncle,” Hope responded, reverencing Doubt. “In fact, since three weeks now I’ve not fed on any solid food, but on your abstract Food for Thought. Your speeches I haven’t ceased to drink like water, and they have served as my sustaining factor. If not for them I’d have starved.”
“That’s great, Hope. But why are you this lean, like a matchstick figure?” Doubt asked. Limitation cut in. “He’s thinking of Goodwill, Goodwish and Gooddream which he has now lost. He said they had passed away on their way to the River of Achievement.”
“What a good loss of the Goods!” Doubt exclaimed with delight. “Hope, it’s supposed to be a thing of joy for you that your enemies pretending to be friends are now dead. Remember, they were the ones who led Alacrity to Badmanner who led him to the river and led him into the mouth of the Octopus of Trouble, which led him to his death.”
Hope brightened up his face as he heard Doubt speak. He regained his strength and sprang to his feet like a springbok as he said ‘thanks’ to Doubt and hugged him. His face soon got creased up again, making Doubt to ask, “What again?”
“Now the goods are dead and I’ve found Father Sage an enemy, as well as the Faiths. Who then shall be my friend henceforth?”
Doubt gazed at the starless sky like a stargazer. “I have an idea!” he spoke at last, as though the idea would pour down the sky like rain.
“Can we know it?” asked Limitation and Mediocrity.
“It would be best for Hope to relocate. Let him come over to my place to live with Idleness my good son. By so doing, Hope’s dead hope of getting to that Island called Great Mess shall remain dead within him forever because I trust Idleness to leave those hopes untouched.”
Everyone welcomed Doubt’s idea. The day after, Doubt was back in Dilapidation dwelling place, this time to take Hope with him to the Flirts’ flats.
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 12:32pm On Sep 20, 2013
uhmm...when idleness and doubt comes in, all hope is gone....
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 20, 2013
Michaellegend: uhmm...when idleness and doubt comes in, all hope is gone....
I like your quote...
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 12:39pm On Sep 20, 2013
Karev_wite: hmmm ds is gettin mre interesting...
Thanx jare
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Michaellegend(m): 12:41pm On Sep 20, 2013
Sammy Hoe:
I like your quote...
Thanks
Boss
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 12:51pm On Sep 20, 2013
Now, hope's own don spoil
Re: Hope And The Island Of Greatness- A Fiction (allegory) Written By Sammy Hoe by Nobody: 1:30pm On Sep 20, 2013
Damex333: Now, hope's own don spoil
Bros U Neva see anything yet

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (26) (Reply)

Scents Of Lust / The Charismatic Charlie Wade (novel) / Novel: Life Of A Celebrity Written By Onyeneke Abel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.