Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,727 members, 7,827,646 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt (8938 Views)

The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch / The Injustice Done To Buhari Is Not Redressed, So He Can't Attend NCS Meetings / Gej Is Weak And Disgrace To Ijaw By Asari Dokubo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Afam4eva(m): 2:43pm On Mar 17, 2013
otokx: In a market, stores are allocated to traders, the land belongs to the government. People should stop playing the ethnic card when they are the major beneficiaries.
What i'm asking is why the markets cannot be reallocated to the previous occupants. Who owns the land is not the issue in contention.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by coogar: 2:45pm On Mar 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
The SE governors should be fighting to bring these traders to their states and not funding lawyers to defend Igbos in other states. the SE governors are supposed to be governing their states and not necessarily protecting Igbo interests. That's what Ohanaeze should be doing.

bunkum!
many of these traders have lived a significant part of their lives away from home? they are now part and parcel of the society they currently dwell - how do you then relocate them to their states of origin? if nigeria is indeed about unity, these igbo traders should enjoy the same rights as their host communities.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 2:48pm On Mar 17, 2013
alj harem:

I am fully aware of the constitution but is an average uneducated Nigerian aware ? NO!

Nigeria itself is a very very funny country as it is frustrating. No ethnic Nation was consulted to form this country apart from the Hausa, Yoruba and Igbos.

Hausa and Yoruba said NO as it is clear that 3 captains can't rule a ship.

You see, we have indigenes in every society an just because we have a government does not mean we do not have traditional rulers and indigenes of the society. Indigenes that never knew who Igbo yoruba or hausas are expected to just allow "aliens" to come and take over their heritage (land).

This is the same problem we have in plateau, lagos, rivers, abuja and delta state.
i do not see how delta state factors in this.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Afam4eva(m): 2:49pm On Mar 17, 2013
coogar:

bunkum!
many of these traders have lived a significant part of their lives away from home? they are now part and parcel of the society they currently dwell - how do you then relocate them to their states of origin? if nigeria is indeed about unity, these igbo traders should enjoy the same rights as their host communities.
lol grin Why do i have this feeling that you derive pleasure in arguing. If i had said the direct opposite of what i said, you would have argued it too.

My point is that, the SE governors should make their states attractive to investors. If these traders had an alternative, they won't be crying wolf. Things like this will continue to happen because there are indigenes in these states. That's why the governors of these traders should look for a way to give these traders what they go to other states to look for.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by aljharem(m): 2:50pm On Mar 17, 2013
asha 80: i do not see how delta state factors in this.

I don't want to state it here and you know the reason.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by aljharem(m): 2:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
The fact still remain that Indigenes of an area would always want more rights than invaders or aliens as they were never consulted when this Nigerian was formed.

In Lagos state have a serious issue right now
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 2:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
lol grin Why do i have this feeling that you derive pleasure in arguing. If i had said the direct opposite of what i said, you would have argued it too.

My point is that, the SE governors should make their states attractive to investors. If these traders had an alternative, they won't be crying wolf. Things like this will continue to happen because there are indigenes in these states. That's why the governors of these traders should look for a way to give these traders what they go to other states to look for.

There is nothing particularly special about some of these states. The reasons traders will always move arround is Market share. When an area gets saturated traders move to elsewhere to find where they can enjoy larger market share . . . .this has more to do with population density relative to the number of traders available and not necesarilly the facility on ground!

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Afam4eva(m): 2:55pm On Mar 17, 2013
krendo:

There is nothing particularly special about some of these states. The reasons traders will always move arround is Market share. When an area gets saturated traders move to elsewhere to find where they can enjoy larger market share . . . .this has more to do with population density relative to the number of traders available and not necesarilly the facility on ground!
You're right. Of course we don't expect every Igbo trader to be in Igboland because the market is not big enough to cater for all of them. That's why the governors should work on increasing the market share of these states in order to attract a higher number of these people back home.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by otokx(m): 3:01pm On Mar 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
What i'm asking is why the markets cannot be reallocated to the previous occupants. Who owns the land is not the issue in contention.
The occupants were merely operators or fronts perhaps and have no valid original documents. Now they want to use wayo and turn from tenant to landlord.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 3:02pm On Mar 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're right. Of course we don't expect every Igbo trader to be in Igboland because the market is not big enough to cater for all of them. That's why the governors should work on increasing the market share of these states in order to attract a higher number of these people back home.
that is the reason why i do not get bothered about igbo traders all over the country as every trader cannot live in his or her place of origin but i get bothered about industrialists building their industries and companies outside the home zone.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Afam4eva(m): 3:03pm On Mar 17, 2013
otokx: The occupants were merely operators or fronts perhaps and have no valid original documents. Now they want to use wayo and turn from tenant to landlord.
And you know all this how?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Afam4eva(m): 3:05pm On Mar 17, 2013
asha 80: that is the reason why i do not get bothered about igbo traders all over the country as every trader cannot live in his or her place of origin but i get bothered about industrialists building their industries and companies outside the home zone.
Exactly. If our industralists can cite most of their industries and companies in the SE, it will attract a huge workforce from other cities in Nigeria and more workforce will mean more spending power and will in turn mean more traders. Our governors and leaders have to make concerted efforts at arresting this situation and stop making it look as if all is well.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 17, 2013
otokx: The occupants were merely operators or fronts perhaps and have no valid original documents. Now they want to use wayo and turn from tenant to landlord.

How do you know this?

I know people who have all their documents intact since 1983 to when this market recently got burnt but somehow can not get their shops back!
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:09pm On Mar 17, 2013
You see what I mean when I say these Ibo people are just whingers and whiners...

You say you are persecuted everywhere in the world, even in your backyard.

Cant you people just shut up moaning and get with the programme for once? undecided

Get on with life for God's Sake.

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by coogar: 3:09pm On Mar 17, 2013
Afam4eva:

i don't derive any pleasure in arguing - it's just that you argue against logic more than often. the igbo traders are nigerians just like each member of their host community and they should enjoy equal rights.

you cannot just make any state attractive to investors? what should SE governors do? build an artificial seaport in the landlocked SE states? there are reasons portharcourt and lagos are attractive to investors and those things are natural features - they cannot be created artificially.......
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Afam4eva(m): 3:13pm On Mar 17, 2013
coogar:
you cannot just make any state attractive to investors? what should SE governors do? build an artificial seaports in the landlocked SE states? there are reasons portharcourt and lagos are attractive to investors and those things are natural features - they cannot be created artificially.......
I wonder why Bayelsa and the riverine areas of Niger delta are not attractive to investors too. Everything is not about a body of water. It depends on what you're investing in. There's no reason why these landlocked states cannot invest heavily in othersectors such as Education, medicine, technology etc or do you need water for those too?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 17, 2013
We need to evolve from Buying and selling to manufacturing and site the manufacturing plants in the east

we got the spirit of commerce and industry to see it through

that is the only way the next generation of Igbos will avoid man's inhumanity to man

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 3:22pm On Mar 17, 2013
krendo: We need to evolve from Buying and selling to manufacturing and site the manufacturing plants in the east

that is the only way the next generation of Igbos will avoid man's inhumanity to man
provide constant power first.

3 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Afam4eva(m): 3:22pm On Mar 17, 2013
krendo: We need to evolve from Buying and selling to manufacturing and site the manufacturing plants in the east

Unfortunately, our leaders or any leaders for that matter don't think that far. That's why we have to get rid of the caucus of delusional governors and leaders in the SE. We need fresh brains that can think very far.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:23pm On Mar 17, 2013

See that?

Already playing the victim card for generations unborn

Smh.

4 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:27pm On Mar 17, 2013
asha 80: provide constant power first.

Yes constant electricity is important and definitely not easy

But that must not happen statewide before you can encourage industries

You can build industrial zones or economic clusters and make a special energy arrangement for the businesses in that clusters and then later target to provide electricity everywhere else!
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 3:31pm On Mar 17, 2013
krendo:

Yes constant electricity is important and definitely not easy

But that must not happen statewide before you can encourage industries

You can build industrial zones or economic clusters and make a special energy arrangement for the businesses in that clusters and then later target to provide electricity everywhere else!
you can suggest this to whoever is your governor you know.it really does not matter pouring it out on nairaland.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Abagworo(m): 3:32pm On Mar 17, 2013
But why can't Igbos rent like others instead of buying?

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by otokx(m): 3:33pm On Mar 17, 2013
krendo:

How do you know this?

I know people who have all their documents intact since 1983 to when this market recently got burnt but somehow can not get their shops back!
Then the law courts are open advise them to go there.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Afam4eva(m): 3:33pm On Mar 17, 2013
Abagworo: But why can't Igbos rent like others instead of buying?
If they were renting, you'll be asking why they can't buy like others. is there anything wrong in buying?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by coogar: 3:37pm On Mar 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
I wonder why Bayelsa and the riverine areas of Niger delta are not attractive to investors too. Everything is not about a body of water. It depends on what you're investing in. There's no reason why these landlocked states cannot invest heavily in othersectors such as Education, medicine, technology etc or do you need water for those too?

seaports have to be built there to attract investors otherwise any body of water should automatically attract investors. education, medicine and technology? these people are traders - they just want to trade and perhaps continue the profession of their predecessors or ancestors.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 3:38pm On Mar 17, 2013
Ibos alway whining and annoying everyone

4 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Afam4eva(m): 3:40pm On Mar 17, 2013
coogar:

seaports have to be built there to attract investors otherwise any body of water should automatically attract investors. education, medicine and technology? these people are traders - they just want to trade and perhaps continue the profession of their predecessors or ancestors.
This is rubbish. I asked why all the body of water all over Africa has not attracted investors. How does investing in education, medicine and technology correlate with having a seaport? The increase in the spending power will automatically increase the need for more traders.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 3:41pm On Mar 17, 2013

your thinking is not that evolved.You like quick profits and do not not have the wherewithal to engage in manufacturing except counterfeiting
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by coogar: 3:42pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda: Ibos alway whining and annoying everyone

that's another plausible way of looking at it......

maybe igbos are generally more intolerant than the others....
maybe igbos carry this air of superiority around them that makes them complain
maybe igbos whinge a whole lot more than their counterparts
or maybe everyone else is fed up with the adventuresome of the average igbo man!

Afam4eva:
This is rubbish. I asked why all the body of water all over Africa has not attracted investors. How does investing in education, medicine and technology correlate with having a seaport? The increase in the spending power will automatically increase the need for more traders.

you speak absent wisdom!
how many of these people can read and write to even locate any interest in medicine and technology. they mostly dropped out of school to learn trading at a tender age. how would you convince a trader at alaba or onitsha to leave his one man business and learn science and tech to work in an organisation? you are more likely to convince a blind man that green isn't red than to achieve that.

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by otokx(m): 3:44pm On Mar 17, 2013
Afam4eva:
If they were renting, you'll be asking why they can't buy like others. is there anything wrong in buying?

we will not sell our inheritance, if they can't rent then they should move on.

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 3:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
asha 80: you can suggest this to whoever is your governor you know.it really does not matter pouring it out on nairaland.

if you know that your contribution on Nairaland counts for nothing then perhaps you should not be here at all!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

House Of Representatives Threatens Warrant On Shell’s Md / Sun Governor Of The Year 2018: Gov Ugwuanyi Arrives At Venue / See The Mansion Rochas Okorocha Gifted His Ethiopian Girlfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.