Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,868 members, 7,828,091 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:10 AM

The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt (8939 Views)

The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch / The Injustice Done To Buhari Is Not Redressed, So He Can't Attend NCS Meetings / Gej Is Weak And Disgrace To Ijaw By Asari Dokubo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by confusion247(m): 9:16pm On Mar 17, 2013
asha 80: if the traders cannot use their money and hire lawyers to defend their rights i wonder why you want governors of their home states to intervene and fund these lawyers.the money from their home states should be used on their home states.these traders should get organized first.
Have you forgotten that these traders lost most of their goods on that fire incidence?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by cfours: 9:17pm On Mar 17, 2013
I'm yoruba and that was meant to be a sarcastic reply.
ie. they should move all their shops back to the east then and wait for us to come and patronize them in their aba and onitsha markets grin

I wonder what happens when there is a fire in onitsha. nobody says anything. but once it happens in lagos or PH or any non-igbo territory, they all claim it to be a conspiracy and look for ways to exhort as much as they can from their host state govts. what parasites.
even the indigenes who are affected (even more so affected) are not complaining as loud as these nomads.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nightshift(m): 9:18pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda: i disagree with you .How did the goods get to Aba in 1975 and from which port on which road
90% of goods sold in Enyimba City and Onitsha were imported through Lagos. Even when some goods came in through Onne, the containers were often taken and offloaded in warehouses in the two Igbo cities. Those were shrewd Igbo businessmen who understood history and its impact on people. In those years i never saw an Igbo trader going to PH to buy goods for his shop in Enyimba. Those Igbo businessmen knew what was up....

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 9:28pm On Mar 17, 2013
confusion247:
Have you forgotten that these traders lost most of their goods on that fire incidence?
they should have standby lawyers for this kind of scenario.so the southeast gov should pay lawyers to help these guys?from which purse?were they the ones that told these traders to go their to trade?there are many issues these se governors have to settle in the states they govern for christsake.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by confusion247(m): 9:35pm On Mar 17, 2013
jackbauersballs: You see what I mean when I say these Ibo people are just whingers and whiners...

You say you are persecuted everywhere in the world, even in your backyard.

Cant you people just shut up moaning and get with the programme for once? undecided

Get on with life for God's Sake.
You mean IGBOS should accept all the injustices and go on with life as if nothing happened? Only cowards reasons like you. Please call evil evil irrespective of whom is involved if we are truly one Nigeria.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by IGBOSON1: 9:38pm On Mar 17, 2013
dayokanu:

What Federal presence is in Ibadan, Akure, Yola, Maiduguri that your people flood to?

^^^You really sound daft!; and the sad thing is that you don't realize it.....which is just as well, as it'd be a shame to loose the 'comic' value that goes with your depravity.

Now have you conducted any studies/research or have any data that shows Igbos are living in penury in all these places that you mentioned?; have you any proof that they have moved to these places in an unsustainable way, such that they now rely on gov't and individual handouts in these places to survive?; did you for a moment stop to think that if the two former points are not the case then it would point to the fact Igbos are in these places working and transacting businesses that the 'locals' benefit from and they are filling economic opportunities that the 'locals' either don't have the desire, expertise, staying power and perseverance to fill?

You're an idiot.....carry go abeg!
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 9:41pm On Mar 17, 2013
Nightshift: 90% of goods sold in Enyimba City and Onitsha were imported through Lagos. Even when some goods came in through Onne, the containers were often taken and offloaded in warehouses in the two Igbo cities. Those were shrewd Igbo businessmen who understood history and its impact on people. In those years i never saw an Igbo trader going to PH to buy goods for his shop in Enyimba. Those Igbo businessmen knew what was up....
You are guessing
obviously you are too young to know the history. Goods were imported through PH which was a very active port relatively in those days. Onne did not exist as a port then
Nigeria's Population was less than half what it is today and virtually no express roads existed any where, No PH -Aba express which was single carriage,in short no express. The transport of containers did not happen in the same scale as we have today.Igbos open several warehouse in PH and whilst Aria was a bigger market than anything in PH there were big markets too.Another thing that happened was Ibo importers sold to each other at warehouses in PH.More importantly though in those days Ibos did not dominate importing .Rather it was foreigners ; mostly Lebanese and Indians and many Igbos bought from them.There wer no Tokunboh parts but new parts . Ibos imported second hand clothes but this was banned . They shifted to other things . I am talking PH here. Lagos is another story. Ibos started to emerge and replace Lebanese/Indians by the late 70s
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by cfours: 9:44pm On Mar 17, 2013
asha 80: they should have standby lawyers for this kind of scenario.so the southeast gov should pay lawyers to help these guys?from which purse?were they the ones that told these traders to go their to trade?there are many issues these se governors have to settle in the states they govern for christsake.

LOL @ SE govs hiring lawyers for traders to fight PH grin
I love how igbos feel like they are entitled to rights in other parts of Nigeria that they will not dare claim in their own region.
Its not as if fires never happen in the SE. just that igbos love to complain only when things happen to them outside SE.
I'm sure PH will probably start finding ways to get rid of the igbos if such lawsuits ever occur anyway. nobody wants to welcome liabilities with open arms. In real life they don't make mouth like this. I wonder what it is about nairaland where all the igbos have turned themselves into kings. Even the indigenes are not sharing any of the right these igbo folks are claiming they are entitled to.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by IGBOSON1: 9:48pm On Mar 17, 2013
And for the love of mike, can someone tell why Yorubas are so concerned with a topic that has fuc/kall to do with them, are posting caustic comments and getting mad to the extent of having a back and forth and extending the thread to now 6 pages!?

Very instructive innit?......their concern and 'amebo' interest in the dynamics of the relationship between south east and south south. undecided undecided undecided
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nightshift(m): 9:48pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda:
You are guessing obviously you are too young to know the history. Goods were imported through PH which was a very active port relatively in those days. Nigeria's Population was less than half what it is today and virtually no express roads existed any where, No PH -Aba express which was single carriage,in short no express. The transport of containers did not happen in the same scale as we have today.Igbos open several warehouse in PH and whilst Aria was a bigger market than anything in PH there were big markets too.Another thing that happened was Ibo importers sold to each other at warehouses in PH.More importantly though in those days Ibos did not dominate importing .Rather it was foreigners ; mostly Lebanese and Indians and many Igbos bought from them.There wer no Tokunboh parts but new parts . Ibos imported second hand clothes but this was banned . They shifted to other things . I am talking PH here. Lagos is another story. Ibos started to emerge and replace Lebanese/Indians by the late 70s
My take has been mainly about 80s and early 90s. Ndigbo started big trading and importations after the oil boom of the late 70s. Most Igbo traders were about recovering from the civil war during the late 70s.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by confusion247(m): 9:48pm On Mar 17, 2013
c.fours:
I'm yoruba and that was meant to be a sarcastic reply.
ie. they should move all their shops back to the east then and wait for us to come and patronize them in their aba and onitsha markets grin

I wonder what happens when there is a fire in onitsha. nobody says anything. but once it happens in lagos or PH or any non-igbo territory, they all claim it to be a conspiracy and look for ways to exhort as much as they can from their host state govts. what parasites.
even the indigenes who are affected (even more so affected) are not complaining as loud as these nomads.
You are a disgrace to the yoruba race. With the type of mind set you have and the hatred you have for the igbos, i pity your life because you failed to realize that after all tribulations, IGBOS comes out stronger than before. Continue to live in ethnic bigotry and hatred while the GREAT IGBOS continues to progress despite the injustice.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by cfours: 9:52pm On Mar 17, 2013
confusion247:
I am having a severe diarrhea of the mouth

maybe you need to lay off the conspiracy theories then all will be well with you. if you aren't satisfied, move back to the east where there is no injustice.useless parasite.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by otokx(m): 9:56pm On Mar 17, 2013
IGBO-SON:
And for the love of mike, can someone tell why Yorubas are so concerned with a topic that has fuc/kall to do with them, are posting caustic comments and getting mad to the extent of having a back and forth and giving and extending the thread to now 6 pages!?

Very instructive innit?......their concern and 'amebo' interest in the dynamics of the relationship between south east and south south. undecided undecided undecided
you sound like my neduwa
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by IGBOSON1: 10:08pm On Mar 17, 2013
dayokanu:

Let them continue to bite the finger thats feeding them

When the SW gets tired and chase them out they would go to Boko Territory or the SS

Most SE dont even know they are more hated in the SS than anywhere. Ask them where the cases of abandoned properties took place.

I met one Eleme boy one time and cant believe the hatred he has for the Ibos

Though he was botter at everyone Hausa for getting all govt appointment, Yorubas for aligning with Oyinbo to rob them of jobs in Oil companies (Even though he later admitted anyone who went school in his area would get those jobs too) but his hatred for Ibos was because they dominated things the average SS does,

Its only educated ppl who would complain about Yorubas and Oil jobs but all the commoners, peasants all complain about Ibos

^^^Interesting discussion you and your 'friend' had on his varying degrees of hatred for the major Nigerian ethnic groups.....must have been a riveting discussion!

Did he by any chance intimate you further on what exactly it was that Igbos were 'dominating' that made him hate them more than Yorubas and Hausas?

The saying 'birds of the same (Igbo hating) feather flock together' is indeed true......nice to see you met a kindred spirit though. wink
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 10:08pm On Mar 17, 2013
Nightshift: My take has been mainly about 80s and early 90s. Ndigbo started big trading and importations after the oil boom of the late 70s. Most Igbo traders were about recovering from the civil war during the late 70s.

I will ignore what you said previously .The reality is you guys are too boastful and think everyone else is a learner it does not make you any friends. There are so many aspects of Nigeria's economy and different people do what comes naturally to them. I have studied different traders and in my Mind the Hausas from Kano and a small tribe of traders from Offa are the best and most successful i have come across over many years,naturally the Ibo man will dispute this and say its because they were in power. A lot of people say Ibo trader,Ibo trader they are not all the same. They have different traits depending on where they come from.
Truth is for many years durring the oil boom,gold ,Kolanuts cotton and groundnuts were the most profitable commodities for these guys as well as foreign exchange and and even to this day palm oil. I do not know the figure but kolanut business in Nigeria is one of the best kept secrets worth many bilions

They(Kano traders) really are exceptional merchants comparable even to Gujarats and I have seen traders in my life. The main flaw with many Ibo traders is they think nothing of selling fake/dangerous products, a very bad trait indeed. The other thing is the Ibo trader is very competitive and often they bring each other down in ways I won't discuss here.

4 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Seunn11: 10:09pm On Mar 17, 2013
let the ibos go and start their super businesses in aba o! Land snatchers!! tongue

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by IGBOSON1: 10:09pm On Mar 17, 2013
otokx: you sound like my neduwa

^^^I beg your pardon!? undecided undecided
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by confusion247(m): 10:18pm On Mar 17, 2013
seanet02: Thank you. Make sure you send the ingrates away if they try any funny schemes.
Coward, why not go and send the ingrates away by yourself instead of waiting for them to try anything funny? With ethnic bigots of your kind, Nigeria is far from being one. shame on you.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by Nobody: 10:19pm On Mar 17, 2013
Is this how Yoruba people truly feel about Igbos?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by confusion247(m): 10:22pm On Mar 17, 2013
Seunn11: let the ibos go and start their super businesses in aba o! Land snatchers!! tongue
Are you aware that we still have one Nigeria?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by confusion247(m): 10:25pm On Mar 17, 2013
c.fours:

I am having a severe diarrhea of the mouth and serious mental damage due to my hatred for the IGBOS.
Blame your father and your ancestors for your condition, your hatred for the great IGBOS means nothing.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by cfours: 10:26pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda:

I will ignore what you said previously .The reality is you guys are too boastful and think everyone else is a learner it does not make you any friends. There are so many aspects of Nigeria's economy and different people do what comes naturally to them. I have studied different traders and in my Mind the Hausas from Kano and a small tribe of traders from Offa are the best and most successful i have come across over many years,naturally the Ibo man will dispute this and say its because they were in power. A lot of people say Ibo trader,Ibo trader they are not all the same. They have different traits depending on where they come from.
Truth is for many years durring the oil boom,gold ,Kolanuts cotton and groundnuts were the most profitable commodities for these guys as well as foreign exchange and and even to this day palm oil. I do not know the figure but kolanut business in Nigeria is one of the best kept secrets worth many bilions

They(Kano traders) really are exceptional merchants comparable even to Gujarats and I have seen traders in my life. The main flaw with many Ibo traders is they think nothing of selling fake/dangerous products, a very bad trait indeed. The other thing is the Ibo trader is very competitive and often they bring each other down in ways I won't discuss here.

I agree. igbos like to claim "trader" identity. but northerners are actually superior traders. yet they are not boastful.
there was a thread on this website a while ago comparing GDP/ contribution for all 36 states, and northern states income comes primarily from trade they really took a large weight for trading. SE of course mostly came from oil. SW agriculture, industry and big business of course.
just because you are running some petty shack or car part store in your little neighborhood doesn't make you a heavy weight or a superior contributor to the economy. not especially when 50% of what you're selling is faulty or fake and just a way to scam unsuspecting people.
I've even met many non-nigerians who meet me and the first thing they say is that they were conned by some nigerian "trader" selling fake products. and then I ask for the name and guess what tribe the name comes from? yeah!! they do this outside of nigeria too which gives us a bad reputation.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by aljharem(m): 10:26pm On Mar 17, 2013
otokx:

[size=18pt]we will not sell our inheritance, if they can't rent then they should move on.[/size]

Gbammmmmmmmmm God bless you man !!!

1 Like

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by manny4life(m): 10:32pm On Mar 17, 2013
c.fours:

I agree. igbos like to claim "trader" identity. but northerners are actually superior traders. yet they are not boastful.
there was a thread on this website a while ago comparing GDP/ contribution for all 36 states, and northern states income comes primarily from trade they really took a large weight for trading. SE of course mostly came from oil. SW agriculture, industry and big business of course.
just because you are running some petty shack or car part store in your little neighborhood doesn't make you a heavy weight or a superior contributor to the economy. not especially when 50% of what you're selling is faulty or fake and just a way to scam unsuspecting people.
I've even met many non-nigerians who meet me and the first thing they say is that they were conned by some nigerian "trader" selling fake products. and then I ask for the name and guess what tribe the name comes from? yeah!! they do this outside of nigeria too which gives us a bad reputation.

Lol, you mean the same Stats from the NBS office that claimed Anambra to be one of the highest poorest state ONLY FOR the Poverty Alleviation office to counter it as Anambra as the least state with least poverty. NBS till today, haven't challenged it. If you of all people do not know that NBS data is altered, I pity you.

Lol, you forgot that the petty shack (like you put it), aka SMALL BUSINESS is what creates the middle class...lol, I pity you. Continue hating on others and their small business, while they continue to move forward.

2 Likes

Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 10:35pm On Mar 17, 2013
c.fours:

same way during time uk when white folks im my workplace always asked why is that nigerians leave their country to come uk just to scam(both credit card and nhs)i asked why they make such a statement and they give me instances of nigerians caught in the act.guess where the names of people they gave me come from?not too hard to guess.one even told me that their headquarters is peckham.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 10:38pm On Mar 17, 2013
c.fours:

Dangote actually started out as a trader and his grandfather Dantata was reputed to be the richest man of his day. They sold mostly Kolanuts and groundnuts in those days by the Trainload when our trains worked. Later cotton,gold foreign exchange and textiles before the textile industries collapsed.They traded mainly with those big companies like PZ Unilever and benefitted from Indigenization laws/ Later on came sugar cement flour etc .These were endeavours that entailed long term investment and patience. There were many successful Indian traders in this country but they were squeezed out. Those guys especially Gujurats are exceptional.They worship money.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 10:43pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda:
Dangote actually started out as a trader and his grandfather Dantata was reputed to be the richest man of his day. They sold mostly Kolanuts and groundnuts in those days by the Trainload when our trains worked. Later cotton,gold foreign exchange and textiles before the textile industries collapsed.They traded mainly with those big companies like PZ Unilever and benefitted from Indigenization laws/ Later on came sugar cement flour etc .These were endeavours that entailed long term investment and patience. There were many successful Indian traders in this country but they were squeezed out. Those guys especially Gujurats are exceptional.They worship money.
i guess Gujurats are bad people since they worship money?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by omonnakoda: 10:45pm On Mar 17, 2013
asha 80: i guess Gujurats are bad people since they worship money?
Your guess !
What or who is a bad person?
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by manny4life(m): 10:47pm On Mar 17, 2013
Ngwakwe: @Afam and Manny

There are factors to consider before siting a market or business.

Those factors are the reason why Igbo merchants move their businesses for a greener pasture.

Igbo Merchants seek two factors to site their business: 1. Population and 2. The Spending Power of the locality or neighborhood

Laws of marginal returns will kill the profitability of these businesses if they cluster in exclusive South East States.

USA Aids are specifically meant to open several markets around the world for US investors, likewise Chinese and Japanese.

US Industrialist and Merchants are flooding into China and India because they have the population and the spending power.

Prosperity will always attract envy, it's simple logic that must not be ruled out. It will always depend on how wise you are to maneuver these obstacles and manage them that make you successful.

Bros, no offense but I agree in some and disagree in some. What you're saying isn't what I'm arguing, to a degree, a huge cluster of businesses can work both positively and negatively depending on how it's harnessed, but at least, let the impact start first. According to you

Doesn't the SE have the population needed?

Don't they have the spending power? Our per capita is the second highest after SS, what does that tell you? According to a newly CBN released data - highest money depositors, two states out of five - Anambra and Abia (Aba) accounted for the top money movers, what does that tell you?

I'm not saying they should cluster, but they can develop their own states first. Profitability is how u define it, SE has more than 40million people, SS is about half (correct me if I'm wrong), to the North is Middle Belt, all these places are easily accessible, so when you say it kills profitability, though I agree in part, I disagree in other because laws of demand and supply will always rule.

Unfortunately brother, I'm not aware of US Aid that are meant to open markets for US investors, in fact, if I'm up to par to my recent events on US Business and international relations, the Obama Administration has handed down severe penalties to businesses, importers and investors abroad and given more credit to those who create in house jobs...

I totally disagree with the US Industrialist part, true that China got the money, but an average capitalist or industrialist is simply looking for CHEAP LABOR, something the U.S. market has long overgrown in the 80's perhaps 90's. Granted they have the population (hence cheap labor) and competitive pricing, and their middle class is increasing, but reports have it that a large chunk of of people cannot afford their own products they produce.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by cfours: 10:49pm On Mar 17, 2013
manny4life:
Lol, you forgot that the petty shack (like you put it), aka SMALL BUSINESS is what creates the middle class...lol, I pity you. Continue hating on others and their small business, while they continue to move forward.

ROTFL anybody can own a small shack. my mom owned one while she was nursing her kids until she could start back at her regular job.
which kain middle class. LOL. the first world countries we have UK, US etc are not first world countries because each family is doing petty family business.

you need to learn to be able to work collaboratively with others to create economies of scale and therefore produce efficiently.
what igbos lack is that ability to work together. hence their style is very inefficient but in their minds, they are king of the hill cheesy
you would think that most companies in nigeria will be igbo owned by now since they boast so much about being businessmen. yet they always start with small shop and end with small shop. rotfl

yorubas are particularly good with the social aspect of business hence we are better with multinational/ coorporation type industries which require a lot of collaborative effort.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by confusion247(m): 10:50pm On Mar 17, 2013
manny4life:

Lol, you mean the same Stats from the NBS office that claimed Anambra to be one of the highest poorest state ONLY FOR the Poverty Alleviation office to counter it as Anambra as the least state with least poverty. NBS till today, haven't challenged it. If you of all people do not know that NBS data is altered, I pity you.

Never mind the fool, his hatred for THE GREAT IGBOS have caused him his sense of reasoning and have damaged his brain beyond medical salvation.
Re: The Injustice And Disgrace Going On In Port Harcourt by asha80(m): 10:53pm On Mar 17, 2013
omonnakoda:
Your guess !
What or who is a bad person?
in nigeria the normal mantra is 'igbos worship money'.other nigerians view that as a bad trait hence the believe igbos are bad.so since Gujurats worship money as you stated doesn't the logic follow?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Electricity Tariff Judgement Threatens N300bn Banking Loans / Okowa Spends N32 Billion On Road Construction / Marketers Kick Against ₦5 Reduction In Petrol Pump Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.