Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,673 members, 7,823,907 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (110) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (488015 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Smalltownboy: 11:49pm On Jun 07, 2013
Hey House, Been following this thread since last year and the suggestions and contributions have been really helpful.

I had my interview today and thought I share the experience with the house.

V.O: Have you ever been out of Nigeria

Me: No, but I have a UK visa

V.O: The question was have you ever been out of Nigeria

Me: No (I'm already sensing the guy has an attitude)

V.O: What you going to study?

Me: I'm going to do a graduate programme in ****

V.O: Why did you choose this School?

I begin to blab on how I'm a professional and in my area of practice I have come across several people who studied there and all

V.O: So you chose the school because you have friends there?

Me: No

V.O: So the school was recommended to you by professional colleagues.

Me: Yes

V.O: Did you apply to other schools

Me: Yes, I applied to several other schools and I begin to name them( The truth is I applied to only this school)

V.O: So what happened?

Me: I got accepted in this school

V.O: Can I see your transcripts

Me: I don't have my transcripts because they are sent directly to the school.

V.O: I have been in this job for a while and interview students and they have transcripts. They usually request for a personal copy

Me: Well, I didn't apply for a personal copy.

V.O: Did you write any standardise test?

Me: No, because it wasn't a requirement for the programme I want to attend.

V.O: What exactly do you do in Nigeria?

Me: Well, I'm a legal practitioner and I provide legal advisory services to clients on a wide range of issues. I even have a letter of introduction from my office and my a copy of my profile on the firm's website

(Note, he doesn't take this documents from me or even looks at them)

V.O: That appears really vague. What exactly do you do there?

Me: (At this point, I'm feeling I won't get the visa because I have really messed up, but I brace up and give it one last shot) I'm currently advising a Foreign IOC on the divestment of its interest in Nigeria. I have also advised a number of indigenous oil companies on acquisition of marginal oil fields as well as OMLs in Nigeria. An OML is an Oil Mining Lease.

V.O: Ok, so who will be sponsoring your studies?

Me: My Dad has been gracious enough to say he will sponsor me.

V.O: What does he do?

Me: He is into private business now since he retired from Government.

V.O: What did he use to do?

Me: (I tell him)

V:O: (Now seems interested), what state was he in?

V.O: (Completely out of the blues) You applied for a Diversity Visa earlier this year?

Me: Excuse me?

V.O: I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. I can see your picture here

Me: (Now losing my cool and raising my voice) I DID not apply for a Diversity visa and I have never done that. I have never even applied for a US Visitor's visa. I have a good job in Nigeria that pays my bills...

V.O sadInterrupts me) That will be all. You can pick up your passport with your visa on Tuesday.

Please note that the V:O didn't check my account statement or letter of introduction from the office and the several other documents I had with me.

I left the Embassy with mixed emotions and I still get upset whenever I think of the Interview. All in All, I give God the glory.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 12:20am On Jun 08, 2013
@Smalltownboy,

Congrats

But if this is all what happened, you should be a luck guy. I don't recommend such.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 12:23am On Jun 08, 2013
@ibkgbocco,

I won't forget you. Take am
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 12:30am On Jun 08, 2013
@Smalltownboy,

Congrats . God favour all d way.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 12:33am On Jun 08, 2013
Mhen what an interesting interview, i have never come across something like this on this thread
congratulation
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 12:39am On Jun 08, 2013
@imperiouxx, gbabe ojo omo ghana mio mope omo osun ni e joor i was even thinking u be mala, hausa lols thts my state also we gather ni joor.

THE STATE OF THE LIVING SPRING

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 12:41am On Jun 08, 2013
smithjanetstore: @imperiouxx, gbabe ojo omo ghana mio mope omo osun ni e joor i was even thinking u be mala, hausa lols thts my state also we gather ni joor.

I understand little Hausa language because I did my NYSC in Nasarawa state.

Well, thanks my brother #Osun4life

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 12:55am On Jun 08, 2013
olarwarlay: Lolz right now.... Imagine o, I had to rush to check Imperiouxx's profile so I could get to see that face that is behind all the brilliant posts.

You ain't ugly my brother 'coz beauty is not a thing of the eye. You've got the most important of all which is a good heart.

May God continue to bless You...

Olarwarlay,

I pray heaven opens for you. Luck of that day would be yours. Daz or!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 1:01am On Jun 08, 2013
Smalltownboy:

Me: (Now losing my cool and raising my voice) I DID not apply for a Diversity visa and I have never done that. I have never even applied for a US Visitor's visa. I have a good job in Nigeria that pays my bills...

V.O sadInterrupts me) That will be all. You can pick up your passport with your visa on Tuesday.

Lawyers!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fittty(m): 1:09am On Jun 08, 2013
smithjanetstore: Mhen what an interesting interview, i have never come across something like this on this thread
congratulation

Me neither!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RedReact: 1:12am On Jun 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

loooool...... Nigerien/Togolese ke. I'm from Osun state, born and raised in Lagos.
God don cash you today.
We no dey see your face for ipinle omoluabi threads anytime they show up. I am from Osun too, Ayedaade to be precise. What of you?
Don't mind my Togolese/Nigerien jabs jor, just poking fun at ya.
Did that guy, whose profile link you put up, say you were ugly? Walahi, I'm afraid of closing my eyes now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bones007: 1:17am On Jun 08, 2013
Smalltownboy: Hey House, Been following this thread since last year and the suggestions and contributions have been really helpful.

I begin to blab on how I'm a professional and in my area of practice I have come across several people who studied there and all

Me: Yes, I applied to several other schools and I begin to name them( The truth is I applied to only this school)

V.O: I have been in this job for a while and interview students and they have transcripts. They usually request for a personal copy

Me: Well, I'm a legal practitioner and I provide legal advisory services to clients on a wide range of issues. I even have a letter of introduction from my office and my a copy of my profile on the firm's website

Me: (At this point, I'm feeling I won't get the visa because I have really messed up, but I brace up and give it one last shot) I'm currently advising a Foreign IOC on the divestment of its interest in Nigeria. I have also advised a number of indigenous oil companies on acquisition of marginal oil fields as well as OMLs in Nigeria. An OML is an Oil Mining Lease.

V.O: (Completely out of the blues) You applied for a Diversity Visa earlier this year?

Please note that the V:O didn't check my account statement or letter of introduction from the office and the several other documents I had with me.

I left the Embassy with mixed emotions and I still get upset whenever I think of the Interview. All in All, I give God the glory.

WOW!!! this is the coolest and baddest interview ever, i enjoy VO when they are this way, trying to pull ur legs though God saved u. Anyway Congrats.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 1:32am On Jun 08, 2013
RedReact:
God don cash you today.
We no dey see your face for ipinle omoluabi threads anytime they show up. I am from Osun too, Ayedaade to be precise. What of you?
Don't mind my Togolese/Nigerien jabs jor, just poking fun at ya.
Did that guy, whose profile link you put up, say you were ugly? Walahi, I'm afraid of closing my eyes now.

lol @ airforce1 guy grin His handsomeness is out of this world.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 1:50am On Jun 08, 2013
Smalltownboy: Hey House, Been following this thread since last year and the suggestions and contributions have been really helpful.

That part got me laughing very hard. I can imagine the shocked look on your face when he mentioned the DV lottery thing and your baby attempts to deny it even when it was clearly showing on the man's system...hahaha! The VO likes you o, honestly. Despite all the odds (no standardized tests, no transcripts, got 'accepted' into just 1 school,grin, applied for the DV lottery hence immigrant intent, and even lied to the VOgrin) he still gave it to you. Some others in similar shoes have been there but got denied. That's the God's favour we're talking about. You must have got a nice personality. cool. Congratulations.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 1:54am On Jun 08, 2013
Smalltownboy:
Me: (Now losing my cool and raising my voice) I
DID not apply for a Diversity visa and I have never
done that. I have never even applied for a US
Visitor's visa. I have a good job in Nigeria that
pays my bills...
V.O Interrupts me) That will be all. You can pick
up your passport with your visa on Tuesday.

fittty:

Lawyers!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I dey tells you! grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 1:59am On Jun 08, 2013
lisadem: I've promised myself to get it right this time. So pls bear with me if I continue to flood this thread with questions.
Question
1. Is it a problem if I change sponsor from my brother (the one I discussed hia) to an uncle that resides in Naija?
Other questions loading... Thanks in advance.

Yea my dear, you can change your sponsor if you want. But remember, you still cannot dodge the 'relative in the US' part because when filling out your next DS-160 form, you'll have to fill out that part that asks if you have a relative in the US. grin

...And it must concur with the 'yes' on your first DS-160. kiss

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 2:04am On Jun 08, 2013
chatdare: Plz I want to know if US skools do acept students with third class degree into postgraduate diploma ?

To the best of my knowledge, no. The only option you have is to apply as a transfer undergraduate student. You'll be placed in final year or, at most, third year of the course. You'll then complete the program for one year and graduate with a US bachelors degree. Then with your making sense US degree you can then apply for masters in the same school or another school of your choice. That's the best pathway for you now. The advantage of this process is that in addition to your Nigerian UG B.Sc degree, you get to have a US B.Sc degree as well which can take you places.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 2:07am On Jun 08, 2013
chatdare: Plz I want to know if US skools do acept students with third class degree into postgraduate diploma ?

You can get into the masters program with a third class depending on your CGPA and your proposed MS/MA major. Do you want to share that so we can go from there?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 2:09am On Jun 08, 2013
Congrats Smalltownboy. Lawyers are generally stubborn....lol. But is it true that all lawyers are liars @ DV lottery....lol?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 2:14am On Jun 08, 2013
Amefrica:

Thanks boss, ur indeed a blessing.. May God grant ur wishes, i will write SAT too 2 b on a safe side. Can a bank official work out statement of acct for my dad? Plus im only 17yrs hope dey wont classify me a minor ?

As for your age, no. You won't be seen as a minor. You're within the acceptable range to begin undergraduate studies.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by onipedey(m): 2:15am On Jun 08, 2013

Good God + Mercy is all we need. Congrats!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 2:15am On Jun 08, 2013
lisadem:

Nagode + Waa gbayi. Plenty explanation to make on my interview be that o. I will need to edit my ds-160 sef. Wait o! What adress where I put if I say YES? Well, perhaps the old one...
Now I begining to see the expertise in some peeps in the house - RESPECT BigFrancis21, imperiouxx and Ojab. Me sef wan be like una o #lol

Yap, the one that you first used in the first DS-160 for your first interview.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 2:20am On Jun 08, 2013
OjaP:

You can get into the masters program with a third class depending on your CGPA and your proposed MS/MA major. Do you want to share that so we can go from there?

Third class GP is usually from 1.50 - 2.50 over 5 points and, to the best of my knowledge, the lowest minimum UG cgpa any credible US school can go to is 3.0/5.0 (or 2.7/4.0). How do you think he can scale that? Or you know one or two credible schools willing to accept his CGPA?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 2:38am On Jun 08, 2013
theHanafis:

@Bigfrances,my skul is ABU.does guyz no dae try.I paid #9900 for my international transcript and I think d local transcript is about #6500 to 7k depending on d value of d dollar.now I come to realize d kind of mess I put ma self in applying for an internatl instead of local.Do u think I should apply for a local 1 now n tell dem to suspend d issue of d international transcript until my skul demands for it?or should I jus collect d internatnl 1 n use it in place of d local 1?besides I didn't even write d address at d back of d receipt.pls wat do u suggest?

Your application for international transcripts depends on the schools you're applying to and their transcript requirements. By now you should have come up with a list of schools you're interested in and known their transcript requirements, the different transcript requirements of which I explained in my penultimate post to you. Go ahead and apply for the local transcript because you STILL NEED to have a copy with you. The last interview experience posted here will prove to you that the VOs at times ask for student transcript copy, just as I told you.

If all your schools want online scanning and later hardcopy, then having only a student copy should be okay for now. If your list is a mix whereby some schools want the transcripts directly sent to them, then you'd have to apply for an international transcript, the total number depending on the number of schools that requests it. And if your school wants WES translation, you'd still have to apply for an international transcript to be addressed and sent to WES (its still international since its leaving the country, though its not going to a university), and WES will receive and translate it and have a translated copy mailed to the particular school that wants it.

During my time, I applied for 4 international copies + 1 student copy like I told you. This is how I did it: 2 of my prospective schools wanted it in its raw form sent to them. So I had two international copies mailed to both schools (U Maryland and U Alabama). The third school (U Tennessee) required online scanning of student copy and later physical mailing of an international copy if given admission. However, I still went ahead and applied for an international transcript for that school because the cost for international transcript then was cheap (just N2500) and also I didn't want to have to travel all the way back to school again running around for transcript if the need so arises so I decided to apply for the international copy for UT at the same time with the others. The 4th school (University of Illinois Urbana Champaign) also demanded the same thing as the third and I applied for an international copy for the school as well though I didn't later apply to UIUC, their copy is still with me + my student copy.

I hope my explanation helps. Use my explanation + your wisdom to know how to go about it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 3:23am On Jun 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Third class GP is usually from 1.50 - 2.50 over 5 points and, to the best of my knowledge, the lowest minimum UG cgpa any credible US school can go to is 3.0/5.0 (or 2.7/4.0). How do you think he can scale that? Or you know one or two credible schools willing to accept his CGPA?

There are good schools who accept between 2.3 - 2.4/4.0(third class) depending on major. More reason why I asked for his proposed major.

AND No, it is not Walden Uni, Everest Uni, Devry or Phoenix.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 3:47am On Jun 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Yes. But they'll charge him. To the best of my knowledge, heard its usually like twenty five grand. Depends on your bargaining power. They might not necessarily give you a worked out bank statement of your dad's but look for an account having the required funds that has the same surname as yours, which you can then claim is your 'dad's'. If they don't see one with a similar name, that's when 'maternal uncle' comes in. grin

As for your age, no. You won't be seen as a minor. You're within the acceptable range to begin undergraduate studies.

Thanks bro, Yepa! Im afraid, i applied for US visa lottery but aint selected, hope this wont pose as a threat ?!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 4:45am On Jun 08, 2013
Wow! Never knew there were other Omoluabi's on the thread.

Imperiouxx, SmithjanetStore, Redreact... I sight U guys.

I am from Osun too, Osogbo to be precise and I am proud to be an Omoluabi to the core. smiley grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 4:50am On Jun 08, 2013
smithjanetstore: @imperiouxx, gbabe ojo omo ghana mio mope omo osun ni e joor i was even thinking u be mala, hausa lols thts my state also we gather ni joor.

Paddy mi smithjanetstore, how far now?. Did You check that site I sent to ur inbox?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 4:54am On Jun 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

I understand little Hausa language because I did my NYSC in Nasarawa state.

Well, thanks my brother #Osun4life

Cool, hausa language is so sweet... I remember my hausa notebook when I first got to Jos.

Then, I would write all new words on the note and study. Now ehn, I be shugaba. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mario2575: 4:55am On Jun 08, 2013
Keep up the good work..please I have a similar problem as I a third class graduate with a CGPA of 2.23 and only realised how disadvantage I am when I started searching schools for UG..please what are my chances house..I am devasated
OjaP:

There are good schools who accept between 2.3 - 2.4/4.0(third class) depending on major. More reason why I asked for his proposed major.

AND No, it is not Walden Uni, Everest Uni, Devry or Phoenix.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 4:56am On Jun 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

Olarwarlay,

I pray heaven opens for you. Luck of that day would be yours. Daz or!

Amen in Jesus name... Thank You so much my big bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Smalltownboy: 6:02am On Jun 08, 2013
@ All: Thanks a lot . I agree it was God's favour at the end of the day.

However, I have never applied for a DV visa, so guess that's what got me really upset. As my people will say, "We can't call cow Bros because we want to eat meat"

As for the Standardized tests, There are really no tests for Lawyers. An LSAT is for a J.D programme, while I'm doing a Masters in Law. So should I formulate or just write any exam just to please a V.O; I don't think so. As for applying to only one school, there are very few schools that do full Masters in Energy Law programme in the USA and I applied to the best out of them all.

All in All, I think it was God's favour and not based on my own abilities yesterday.

(1) (2) (3) ... (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.