Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,809 members, 7,844,624 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (120) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (488913 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jun 12, 2013
theDonBee: hello guys. been reading this forum right from the 2012 posts and its really nice what u guys are doing.
my first post ever on nairaland. anybody know anything worthy of note about illinois and/or illinois state uni. i'm planning to get there for fall in information systems by God's grace. thanks

welcome bro, the school fees na die..In-State $26,016
Out-of-state: $33,306.. It may be cheap to u, #fingersaintequal
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by theDonBee: 7:12pm On Jun 12, 2013
Amefrica:

welcome bro, the school fees na die..In-State $26,016
Out-of-state: $33,306.. It may be cheap to u, #fingersaintequal
Thanks man. I'm going for msc so it's a bit lower than that. I think u're quoting undergrad.
I'm going with 5 years experience so I'm anticipating GA or similar stuff.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jun 12, 2013
theDonBee:
Thanks man. I'm going for msc so it's a bit lower than that. I think u're quoting undergrad.
I'm going with 5 years experience so I'm anticipating GA or similar stuff.

ok sir. Gud luck

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 8:10pm On Jun 12, 2013
technolee: Hello my fellow NL's, below is the 90secs interview with my paddy. No document whatsoever was requested for. He is ready for the VO anyway as he has GRE, TOEFL,.... Just name it. Enjoy the movie......

VO: Good Afternoon
My Friend (MF): Good Afternoon, How are you doing?
VO: Good
VO: you want to study in the US
MF: yes
VO: undergraduate, masters
MF:Masters
VO: what course
MF: told her (elect/elect)
VO: was that your undergraduate course
MF: Yes
VO: why wvu
MF: I actually applied to 3 schools, mentioned them and told the number of admits. I told her Bleep uni is better ranked than the other and that my course of study is highly ranked there too
VO: who will be sponsoring u
MF: my brother
VO: what does he do?
MF: he works with ....(Na oil coy ooooo)
VO: what do u do
MF: I had the longest talk here as i described my daily activities
VO: check back on monday

God is Goooooooooood!!!

Congratulations..... The Lord has given me the tongue of the learned too, that i should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary. Isaiah 50:4
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 8:36pm On Jun 12, 2013
@GboyegaD and OjaP,

You guys are trying. I'll be home too sometimes next year but not going home without US backup. Also GboyegaD, I'm still not happy that you went back only for some kind of intern. Get yourself back here sharp, sharp.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ak95: 9:19pm On Jun 12, 2013
My GRE test loading..... Apart from all those nice textbooks that was shared on this platform, plz house I need more guidelines from people who have written the test before.
They said experience is the best teacher. Thank you.
I'm waiting please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fadinus(m): 10:44pm On Jun 12, 2013
lisadem: For those looking for an appointment in Abuja, someone just told me now that July 1-3 and 11 are opened.
i wish this slots were available in Lagos
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 10:50pm On Jun 12, 2013
ak95: My GRE test loading..... Apart from all those nice textbooks that was shared on this platform, plz house I need more guidelines from people who have written the test before.
They said experience is the best teacher. Thank you.
I'm waiting please.

I will start by saying GRE is a gruesome test that takes 3-4 hrs massive brainstorming. I want to believe you have studied hard and ready for the test. Since your test is approaching, you might wanna try some online timed tests and see how ready you are for the test.
You should be able to ace the quantitative part if you are sound in mathematics. You only need to be careful with the nuances.
Verbal part is a nightmare for many people including me but you can always try your best by learning as many words as you can, practise a lot of comprehension passages and improve on your writing skills for the AWA.

On the day of the test, ensure you take a light food (make ur stomach no dey make noise or makee piss dey catch you during the test #lol), dress comfortably and ensure you get to the test centre as early as possible to allow more time to settle and well organised. One more thing, Be confident, time conscious and be as accurate as you can. Ooooops... Sermon plenti. Make I stop here.. All da best

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jun 12, 2013
Toefl meeting its waterloo soon.. I cant wait to get into dat test room or shit, do my stuffz, go home n await the result. We gotta make dis money. Legal or Illegal, Logical or Illogical.. Money is money #gbam. Goodnight fam
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 11:47pm On Jun 12, 2013
Amefrica: Toefl meeting its waterloo soon.. I cant wait to get into dat test room or shit, do my stuffz, go home n await the result. We gotta make dis money. Legal or Illegal, Logical or Illogical.. Money is money #gbam. Goodnight fam

I don't get the idealogy. You make money by passing toefl or what? Plus those adjectives - illegal, illogical are uncalled-for. Guess your are joking anyways #wink. All da best in your test.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ak95: 11:48pm On Jun 12, 2013
lisadem:

I will start by saying GRE is a gruesome test that takes 3-4 hrs massive brainstorming. I want to believe you have studied hard and ready for the test. Since your test is approaching, you might wanna try some online timed tests and see how ready you are for the test.
You should be able to ace the quantitative part if you are sound in mathematics. You only need to be careful with the nuances.
Verbal part is a nightmare for many people including me but you can always try your best by learning as many words as you can, practise a lot of comprehension passages and improve on your writing skills for the AWA.

On the day of the test, ensure you take a light food (make ur stomach no dey make noise or makee piss dey catch you during the test #lol), dress comfortably and ensure you get to the test centre as early as possible to allow more time to settle and well organised. One more thing, Be confident, time conscious and be as accurate as you can. Ooooops... Sermon plenti. Make I stop here.. All da best

@Lisadem, thank u for the advice. Pls can u give me the link for the online practice? Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 12:02am On Jun 13, 2013
ak95:

@Lisadem, thank u for the advice. Pls can u give me the link for the online practice? Thank you.

Sorry. On this question, google is your friend. I bought Manhanttan text book among others and got a free online test, also did powerprep from ETS and some from other sites.I don't have the link(s) now. Please just google it, am sure you will see superfluous resources. Hope this helps...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ak95: 12:21am On Jun 13, 2013
lisadem:

Sorry. On this question, google is your friend. I bought Manhanttan text book among others and got a free online test, also did powerprep from ETS and some from other sites.I don't have the link(s) now. Please just google it, am sure you will see superfluous resources. Hope this helps...

I'm doing that just now. Have downloaded GRE Power Prep II. Thanx.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by theDonBee: 6:39am On Jun 13, 2013
ak95:

I used Kaplan 2012, practises d tests on the CD and focused on vocabulary study.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by theDonBee: 6:52am On Jun 13, 2013
theDonBee: hello guys. been reading this forum right from the 2012 posts and its really nice what u guys are doing.
my first post ever on nairaland. anybody know anything worthy of note about illinois and/or illinois state uni. i'm planning to get there for fall in information systems by God's grace. thanks
Bump. Opinions guys
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dkgetmuny: 6:53am On Jun 13, 2013
technolee: Hello my fellow NL's, below is the 90secs interview with my paddy. No document whatsoever was requested for. He is ready for the VO anyway as he has GRE, TOEFL,.... Just name it. Enjoy the movie......

VO: Good Afternoon
My Friend (MF): Good Afternoon, How are you doing?
VO: Good
VO: you want to study in the US
MF: yes
VO: undergraduate, masters
MF:Masters
VO: what course
MF: told her (elect/elect)
VO: was that your undergraduate course
MF: Yes
VO: why wvu
MF: I actually applied to 3 schools, mentioned them and told the number of admits. I told her Bleep uni is better ranked than the other and that my course of study is highly ranked there too
VO: who will be sponsoring u
MF: my brother
VO: what does he do?
MF: he works with ....(Na oil coy ooooo)
VO: what do u do
MF: I had the longest talk here as i described my daily activities
VO: check back on monday

God is Goooooooooood!!!

Finally! Welcome on board...I am also heading to WVU...when does he plan to travel?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:56am On Jun 13, 2013
lisadem:

I don't get the idealogy. You make money by passing toefl or what? Plus those adjectives - illegal, illogical are uncalled-for. Guess your are joking anyways #wink. All da best in your test.

lol, its kind of a joke, wen i pass toefl, go to america to study(logical), work 20hrs a week(legal).. Work 40hrs a week (illegal), read, go for class during the remain hours(illogical) shey u get ? Lmao
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:20am On Jun 13, 2013
lisadem:

Sorry. On this question, google is your friend. I bought Manhanttan text book among others and got a free online test, also did powerprep from ETS and some from other sites.I don't have the link(s) now. Please just google it, am sure you will see [b]superfluous [/b]resources. Hope this helps...

Does the bolded mean superb? I think it's unnecessary! Easy guys!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by djunit1(m): 7:34am On Jun 13, 2013
congrats to all the people that got their visas.

I hail the house
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by sheyma: 8:09am On Jun 13, 2013
ak95:

U can use majortest.com. Dts. Wht I used for. Mine
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 8:13am On Jun 13, 2013
imperiouxx: @GboyegaD and OjaP,

You guys are trying. I'll be home too sometimes next year but not going home without US backup. Also GboyegaD, I'm still not happy that you went back only for some kind of intern. Get yourself back here sharp, sharp.

Remember my folks plenty for here and more so, my girlfriend need feel her guy now. Anyways, the internship experience isn't that bad and the pay compared to Nigerian standards is good too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 8:16am On Jun 13, 2013
dkgetmuny:

Finally! Welcome on board...I am also heading to WVU...when does he plan to travel?

Now I feel bad I turned my WVU offer down but I think I didn't make a bad choice though cos its rating in my field is low and I chose one of the top schools.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 8:17am On Jun 13, 2013
ferdimako:

Perhaps is this comment that is unneccessary. Please look up the word in the dictionary and come back to educate us here. Go well o.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 8:18am On Jun 13, 2013
OjaP:

Yes, that Lagos traffic is mad. It will be difficult at first for someone changing from the America system to Naija own. You try no be small. I should be home next week too by God's grace.

Safe trip. It isn't pleasant so what I do is to drive just weekends only (Friday inclusive) while Monday to Thursday, I ride with a friend to work and use the staff bus going home.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 8:22am On Jun 13, 2013
grin God bless your hustling

Amefrica:

lol, its kind of a joke, wen i pass toefl, go to america to study(logical), work 20hrs a week(legal).. Work 40hrs a week (illegal), read, go for class during the remain hours(illogical) shey u get ? Lmao
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 8:27am On Jun 13, 2013
ak95:

Wish you success in your test.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by technolee(m): 9:27am On Jun 13, 2013
dkgetmuny:

Last week in July or First week in August cos resumption is for 18th August. Do you wanna hook up with him or what? If yes, how do you want it?? BBM, yahoomail, phone No. Will join you guys @ Morgantown soon. Bless you

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 13, 2013
Can someone here respond to my question please?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 9:56am On Jun 13, 2013
Great testimonies so far this week. My prospective roommate in US just got his visa now @ Lagos embassy. Will share his experience with you shortly...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis021: 10:21am On Jun 13, 2013
ferdimako:

I think that meant 'more than enough' or 'excess'. I still remember my GRE Verbal vocabulary well.grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis021: 10:30am On Jun 13, 2013
De Tus: Hello folks, how's everything going? Well, my updated I-20 is on its way but i have two trickish tricky cool questions to ask.
First, should i return to the embassy soon for my re- interview?

Second, if the embassy grants me this precious visa, can i go to the US after one year? The F1 VISA is usually two years before it expires. Please i need your candid advice. Thank you so far!

First, yes you can return to the embassy as soon as possible, as soon you feel you're ready for it again. My cousin got denied at the Abuja embassy and went back in 3 weeks to the Lagos embassy this time and got her visa.

Second, a few people do get their visas and keep and travel out much later in a few months. So I think its possible. The house can throw more light on this issue.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 10:40am On Jun 13, 2013
bigfrancis021:

First, yes you can return to the embassy as soon as possible, as soon you feel you're ready for it again. My cousin got denied at the Abuja embassy and went back in 3 weeks to the Lagos embassy this time and got her visa.

Second, a few people do get their visas and keep and travel out much later in a few months. So I think its possible. The house can throw more light on this issue.

Yeah !!! Big francis has answered your questions. You can get your visa and keep but just know you have to defer your admission with the school. Cheers bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Travelling To Canada Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.