Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,590 members, 7,827,217 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:59 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (488163 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 4:34pm On Jun 13, 2013
topzy2000: My Chairmen,

Pls is there a difference between denied a visa or refused a visa ? Someone was just telling me there is but I don't think so.

Don't mind the person jare. There is no difference.

It's all the same. DENIED and REFUSED are both similar...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 4:42pm On Jun 13, 2013
Amefrica: mr swagger, i like ur style n i promise i wont disappoint u in TOEFL. The problem m having now is. High school transcripts d same as WAEC GCE and Testimonial.. I finished in 2010 at the age of 14yrs but got my SSCE results canceled. So i sat for 2011 WAEC GCE n got a superb result. What's ur advice on this ? Plus what is SOP

Talk to your high school and they should be able to give you your transcript (SS1 - 3). If you do very well on your SAT, I will suggest you apply to schools with honors program as they give better funding (some can even give you full tuition and board). You do not need a statement of purpose (SOP) as such, you need not bother about that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 4:45pm On Jun 13, 2013
Amefrica: mr swagger, i like ur style n i promise i wont disappoint u in TOEFL. The problem m having now is. High school transcripts d same as WAEC GCE and Testimonial.. I finished in 2010 at the age of 14yrs but got my SSCE results canceled. So i sat for 2011 WAEC GCE n got a superb result. What's ur advice on this ? Plus what is SOP

Go ahead and apply †̥o those schools after u get admitted †̥o two or three of them, then decide on which of them †̥o pick for Ur visa. SOP means Statement of Purpose. Cheers
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 13, 2013
GboyegaD:

Talk to your high school and they should be able to give you your transcript (SS1 - 3). If you do very well on your SAT, I will suggest you apply to schools with honors program as they give better funding (some can even give you full tuition and board). You do not need a statement of purpose (SOP) as such, you need not bother about that.

Thank you sir, but
1. My school dnt keep records (if ur talkin abt marking scripts)..
2. I was not able to register for SAT, so im only writing TOEFL..
3. Cant i use only WAEC GCE and leaving school certificate/testimonial ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 13, 2013
babsharon:

Go ahead and apply †̥o those schools after u get admitted †̥o two or three of them, then decide on which of them †̥o pick for Ur visa. SOP means Statement of Purpose. Cheers

Thanks.. Will i write SOP when writing TOEFL ? I'm confused
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jun 13, 2013
@topzy2000, your friend is very funny. He doesn't seem to understand English.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 5:12pm On Jun 13, 2013
fadex56: @bigfrancis, mr swagger & oders, i rilly appreciate ur lovingly reply. The reasn Y i cnt do it myself s becos i dnt knw d procedures to take in getn d usa studnt visa. But could sm1 enlighten me more on hw to get ds-160 form?

You see baa, whatever the agent can do, you can also do it yourself. If you're willing to start doing things yourself, you can start up right from this point. If only you knew of this thread earlier you would have been on the position of a 'guru on US student Visa process' by now.cool Its all good anyway.

The DS-160 is the form you fill online when booking your interview. You'll need your SEVIS code which is written on your I-20 in order to complete it. The website is https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
Visit the site, fill the form and submit. Then you can go on to
http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-visaapply.asp
to book your visa interview.

Remember that you must pay the visa fee of N26,400 first before you can book the interview. You'll be asked for the payment receipt number while booking online.

You can book your interview first before completing the DS-160 form but you MUST submit the DS-160 before you go for interview. Its a simple process and I'll strongly advise that you do the rest by yourself from this point forward.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 5:21pm On Jun 13, 2013
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 5:22pm On Jun 13, 2013
Amefrica:

Thank you sir, but
1. My school dnt keep records (if ur talkin abt marking scripts)..
2. I was not able to register for SAT, so im only writing TOEFL..
3. Cant i use only WAEC GCE and leaving school certificate/testimonial ?

Yes you can if the school doesn't require SAT scores.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 5:23pm On Jun 13, 2013
Amefrica:

Thanks.. Will i write SOP when writing TOEFL ? I'm confused

Nope. Nothing like SOP during TOEFL. SOP is only required while submitting your application and that's if the school you re applying requests for it. It's just a professional statement where you give a brief biography, motivation for choosing the course and the school, research interest and long term plan...
Please check with the school first and don't get bothered about it. Passing toefl should be your priority now. Take care.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jun 13, 2013
lisadem:

Nope. Nothing like SOP during TOEFL. SOP is only required while submitting your application and that's if the school you re applying requests for it. It's just a professional statement where you give a brief biography, motivation for choosing the course and the school, research interest and long term plan...
Please check with the school first and don't get bothered about it. Passing toefl should be your priority now. Take care.

Thanks i appreciate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 13, 2013
GboyegaD:

Yes you can if the school doesn't require SAT scores.

Oh nice.. M satisfied now
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 5:43pm On Jun 13, 2013
mr swagger:

One of my schools I applied to in the US for the Fall 2013 session even Admitted me despite the Insufficient Funds on my Bank statement.

The school needed a minimum Bank balance of #4.5million and I had #3.9million. They still ADMITTED me.

You can see that Admission is not the problem. But I am not choosing the school because I can't risk taking that Insufficient Balance on the Bank statement to the Embassy.

You can't deny going to that school just because they admitted you with insufficient funds. Many US schools do admit students with bank statements having current balance less than the required. What they are interested in is the capability of the account holder to sponsor you for your whole length of stay. That's why they ask to see 3 or 6 months history of bank statement showing steady transactions. They'll also check the total deposits made in the 3 or 6 months bank statement you submitted to them and once its high enough they'll still admit you even though the current balance is not up to the required. When they ask for a 6 month bank statement with readily available funds they want to see an account that has at least some good amount of money (at least from half of the required) to start school, pay a quarter of your school fees and living expenses. Note that the statement, readily available funds is different from funds greater than the required must be shown. This is exactly how my second school, University of Alabama that did not give me funding explained it to me. I'm not sure that schools that admit this way will go on to write 'admitted with insufficient funds' whatsoever on your I-20. The statement they'll write will be the same with what they'll write for others that provided full money statements.

The VO has no way of knowing whether you got admitted with an insufficient account statement or the statement you're coming with to the interview is different from that you used to get admission. That being said, with the I-20 of that school (which will reflect normally as I said), you can go with another bank statement different from the one you used in getting admitted that reflects the required balance, and you're good to go. Unless you have reasons for not wanting to go to that school.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 5:44pm On Jun 13, 2013

Pls is there a difference between denied a visa or refused a visa ? Someone was just telling me there is but I don't think so.

grin grin.
Both mean the same thing.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 5:56pm On Jun 13, 2013
grin sure you just want to make us laf hia #rotflmao. They are the same but pray none hia has such words in his/her dico again.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 6:25pm On Jun 13, 2013
Please house I need your response on this question.

I have an uncle that want to sponsor me for my masters in finance but will are not using the same surname, am i good to go.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by tolsh: 6:41pm On Jun 13, 2013
Are you been Threaten in your place of work, or you don't have a job. Maybe you need a plan B job. Here is a good offer; where you can simply make money online without paying a dime. If you are been ask to pay please abort.
Honestrly it's 100% free with cool cash. Just follow this link below.

http://myreferjob.com/?ref=Tolsh
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 6:44pm On Jun 13, 2013
kunlebal: Please house I need your response on this question.

I have an uncle that want to sponsor me for my masters in finance but will are not using the same surname, am i good to go.

Yes. You can claim he's a maternal uncle.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 6:48pm On Jun 13, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Yes. You can claim he's a maternal uncle.

Please can you explain to me further
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jun 13, 2013
kunlebal:

It means an uncle from ur mum side
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 6:59pm On Jun 13, 2013
kunlebal: Please house I need your response on this question.

Yes, he can sponsor you, you will claim him as your Maternal Uncle..

You are good to go!!!!!!! Cheers..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 7:05pm On Jun 13, 2013
kunlebal:

A maternal uncle is an uncle from your mom's side who doesn't bear the same surname with you. Claiming this maternal uncle relationship will cover why he doesn't bear the same surname with you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fadex56: 7:14pm On Jun 13, 2013
bigfrancis21:

You see baa, whatever the agent can do, you can also do it yourself. If you're willing to start doing things yourself, you can start up right from this point. If only you knew of this thread earlier you would have been on the position of a 'guru on US student Visa process' by now.cool Its all good anyway.

The DS-160 is the form you fill online when booking your interview. You'll need your SEVIS code which is written on your I-20 in order to complete it. The website is https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

Remember that you must pay the visa fee of N26,400 first before you can book the interview. You'll be asked for the payment receipt number while booking online.

You can book your interview first before completing the DS-160 form but you MUST submit the DS-160 before you go for interview. Its a simple process and I'll strongly advise that you do the rest by yourself from this point forward.
@bigfrancis i rill appreciate ur cncern bt cud i have ur email or contact?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 7:15pm On Jun 13, 2013
mr swagger:

@ameafrica n swagger thanks very much, really appreciate. Much love
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 7:17pm On Jun 13, 2013
mr swagger:

@ameafrica n swagger thanks very much, really appreciate. Much love
This thread is the best, @justwise kip it up
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 7:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
fadex56: @bigfrancis i rill appreciate ur cncern bt cud i have ur email or contact?

beaudefrax at yahoo dot co dot uk
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 7:18pm On Jun 13, 2013
tolsh: Are you been Threaten in your place of work, or you don't have a job. Maybe you need a plan B job. Here is a good offer; where you can simply make money online without paying a dime. If you are been ask to pay please abort.
Honestrly it's 100% free with cool cash. Just follow this link below.

http://myreferjob.com/?ref=Tolsh

Although this might be helpful, you are on the wrong thread. Perhaps you should open another thread to discuss it extensively. (((((Thanks)))))
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 7:24pm On Jun 13, 2013
bigfrancis21:

You can't deny going to that school just because they admitted you with insufficient funds. Many US schools do admit students with bank statements having current balance less than the required. What they are interested in is the capability of the account holder to sponsor you for your whole length of stay. That's why they ask to see 3 or 6 months history of bank statement showing steady transactions. They'll also check the total deposits made in the 3 or 6 months bank statement you submitted to them and once its high enough they'll still admit you even though the current balance is not up to the required. When they ask for a 6 month bank statement with readily available funds they want to see an account that has at least some good amount of money (at least from half of the required) to start school, pay a quarter of your school fees and living expenses. Note that the statement, readily available funds is different from funds greater than the required must be shown. This is exactly how my second school, University of Alabama that did not give me funding explained it to me. I'm not sure that schools that admit this way will go on to write 'admitted with insufficient funds' whatsoever on your I-20. The statement they'll write will be the same with what they'll write for others that provided full money statements.

The VO has no way of knowing whether you got admitted with an insufficient account statement or the statement you're coming with to the interview is different from that you used to get admission. That being said, with the I-20 of that school (which will reflect normally as I said), you can go with another bank statement different from the one you used in getting admitted that reflects the required balance, and you're good to go. Unless you have reasons for not wanting to go to that school.

@Bigfrancis, Wow!!! Thnx for the detailed analysis.. Mehn bro u dey try ooooo.

Actually, I really love the school, but I'm not choosing the school, because the tuition fee is very high.

The tuition fee on my i-20 is $16,000 per academic year. This is outrageous.

I have even received the i-20 package last week friday. It was stated on the i-20 that I have a current Bank balance of $29,000.

And I don't think I can go with another Bank statement unless I get my sponsor to get the same Bank statement for me with Enough funds which is more than what they need.

Because the school indicated my sponsor's company's name as the source of funds on the i-20 and getting another Bank statement with another company Name will be contradictory, and this will Automatically cause a DENIAL at the US Embassy. Hope you understand what I mean.

But my current balance on the Bank statement is not up to that amount they stated on the i-20.

And they gave scholarship, but their scholarship is small. $2500 international Retention scholarship.

But I'm switching to Plan B. Going with my Second school. That is why I advice people to apply to as many schools as possible.

But I applied to 3 schools, and I have been admitted to the second school, and I'm awaiting the i-20 package which you know about. TNT courier plus have picked my i-20 package from my school, so I should be receiving it by latest nxt week tuesday. I'm currently tracking the package on TNT website.

Thank God, I now have rest of mind.

Thanks Bigfrancis, You the Best!!!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 7:54pm On Jun 13, 2013
bigfrancis21:

@Bigfrancis, I went through the Us visa Appointment link you provided and it was stated on the website that you will first need to fill the DS 160 online form before you can book an appointment as you will be asked for your DS 160 number.

Let me show you a copy part of the website so you can see it;

Step 3

The next step is to complete the DS-160 form. Be sure to read the Guidelines for Completing the DS-160 Form carefully. All information must be correct and accurate. Once the form is submitted,
you cannot make any changes. If you need assistance, please consult an immigration lawyer or translator.

The call center cannot help you complete
your DS-160. You will need your DS-160 number to book your appointment.

Step 4
You are almost ready to schedule your visa appointment!
Now you will need to create a profile in our system. Follow this link and click on

New User.
Complete all fields and create a password. Once you are in the system, you will see your dashboard.

On the left-hand side, click on Schedule
Appointment.

This will start the process for scheduling your appointment. For each applicant being scheduled you will need:

*The applicant's passport number
*The receipt number from GT Bank receipt. (Click here if you need help finding this number.)
*The ten (10) digit barcode number from the applicant's DS-160 confirmation page

As you go through the process you will be able to select your visa type, enter personal data, add dependents, select your document delivery location, confirm visa payment and finally, schedule your
appointment.

You can see it.

So @fadex56 you will need to first fill the DS 160 form before proceeding in booking an appointment.

It is one step at a time.

Cheers bro.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jun 13, 2013
I'm feeling this lady (lady in charge of helping intl students on their app/questions ) i dey follow talk tru ymail. I think i should ask her out.. #jk lmao, shes cool n nice..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by eduson002(m): 9:23pm On Jun 13, 2013
Amefrica: I'm feeling this lady (lady in charge of helping intl students on their app/questions ) i dey follow talk tru ymail. I think i should ask her out.. #jk lmao, shes cool n nice..
Hehehehe.Never has there seize to be funny people in nairaland

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jun 13, 2013
eduson002: Hehehehe.Never has there seize to be funny people in nairaland

lmao. Na true yarn, she dey giv me instant reply.

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.