Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,812 members, 7,851,724 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:31 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (143) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (489477 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 4:22pm On Jun 20, 2013
flynbird: Need a late july date too!

@Flynbird, How many times are you allowed to check for available date in a day?

Pls i need this info.

What is the maximum limit for a day?

Thnx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by oyetpel(m): 4:28pm On Jun 20, 2013
bigass: @Ope-Thanks.
I told him I am doctor and that I'm also into business. That the bulk of the money to pay for my tuition will come from my business. He asked me for my salary and Ï Told him.

How can you have a business, and you want to go 2 USA to study, who will manage or job? #just saying
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by jimtosam: 4:33pm On Jun 20, 2013
bigass: *** This is my wife's handle

I was DENied at Abuja this morning
Hello House what do you think I did wrong??

VO your documents pls
Me I handed over my documents. He started looking at my I20.
VO how did know about this school
Me through Sophas I further. explained its an application service for public health.
VO okay did u apply to any other school?
ME yes university of Texas and pttsburgh I was admitted in Pitt but not in Texas
VO how do you intend to pay for this
ME I'm sponsoring myself. I have a job and I am also into business
VO okay.Any document to back this?
ME yes I handed him my bank statement
VO how long have you been into this business
ME 4 yrs
VO So who will manage your business when you are gone?
ME my wife will oversee it.
VO does your wife work?
ME yes at MTN
VO what does she do in MTN
ME she works at costumer care as a team lead.
VO do you have any children
ME no but expecting.
VO How long have you been married
ME 2yrs
VO you live in Lagos why did u come to abuja
ME I couldn't find a suitable date in Lagos
VO have you traveled out before
ME NO
VO why
ME I have been busy
VO What will this programme do for you
ME public health will give me the necessary tools to affect my community at larger level better than I am doing.

denied!!
Pls house help me

Financial standing .....

Self-sponsor is not encouraged. The VO prefer an account of 5m of someone in Nigeria than account of 15m of someone traveling.. But, you can use your account as support...The are not believing in the balance but believe it's an active account that money will keep coming in and out. Even, the requirement is just to have a balance of your first year tuition. Though, people like to overshoot this to prove they are capable..Why are they asking for just one year tuition when they know you are spending 2/4yrs? Cos they believe money will surely come into the account later. That's why they will ask what your sponsor is doing couple with the statement.

I will advise you wait till January .... The VO belief is that financial standing doesn't change overnight. ..By January, you will support the statement with uncle/father/mother and change your I-20. or can you get a sponsor and change the I-20 now before your school resumes. Though, the best option is to wait.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fideliajohn(f): 4:33pm On Jun 20, 2013
Please House, how Poor is this GRE Result:
Verbal: 141
Quatitative: 144.
Am thinking is too low to tender at the embassy.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by jimtosam: 4:38pm On Jun 20, 2013
fidelia.john:
Please House, how Poor is this GRE Result:
Verbal: 141
Quatitative: 144.
Am thinking is too low to tender at the embassy.

GRE conversion
Verbal: 330
Quantitative: 500
Total: 644 / 1600.

Source: http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf

Well, it's low but if the VO asked if you have any standardized test, I will advise you say yes...Why is it low, prepare a good reply. may be you are sick on the exam day or no time for preparation cos u r working, etc.. tell the VO, you decided not to shift the exam (he will ask why you didn't shift it) cos it's not even a requirement.. Just tell the VO the factor that affected you .. Some, just ask and not check. If the results are requested, put toefl on top and GRE below.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by flynbird(f): 4:59pm On Jun 20, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

@Flynbird, How many times are you allowed to check for available date in a day?

Pls i need this info.

What is the maximum limit for a day?

Thnx

5 times max! When I exceed 5 times it gives me "You Have Exceeded The Limit For Viewing This Page And Your Limit Will Be Reset As Tomorrow".. But when I keep checking it gives me " Unable To Process Request Concurrent Request Limit Exceeded".. And then after a few hours it goes back to "You Have Exceeded The Limit For Viewing This Page And Your Limit Will Be Reset As Tomorrow". Then the next day it starts counting all the limits again

4days of trying and I'm already fed up. I force myself to wake up at night to check but no date comes up! sad

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Datty85: 5:11pm On Jun 20, 2013
Please house can someone send me a sample of the affidavit of support urgently. My e-mail address is datswart@gmail.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 5:12pm On Jun 20, 2013
flynbird:

5 times max! When I exceed 5 times it gives me "You Have Exceeded The Limit For Viewing This Page And Your Limit Will Be Reset As Tomorrow".. But when I keep checking it gives me " Unable To Process Request Concurrent Request Limit Exceeded".. And then after a few hours it goes back to "You Have Exceeded The Limit For Viewing This Page And Your Limit Will Be Reset As Tomorrow". Then the next day it starts counting all the limits again

4days of trying and I'm already fed up. I force myself to wake up at night to check but no date comes up! sad

Same here!!!! i feel ur pain.

Thnx. we shall get a date Soon

Don't worry anytime i check and see available date, i will let u knw.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by obsy2020: 5:46pm On Jun 20, 2013
@ datty check. Ur email
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigass(f): 5:50pm On Jun 20, 2013
jimtosam:

Financial standing .....

Self-sponsor is not encouraged. The VO prefer an account of 5m of someone in Nigeria than account of 15m of someone traveling.. But, you can use your account as support...The are not believing in the balance but believe it's an active account that money will keep coming in and out. Even, the requirement is just to have a balance of your first year tuition. Though, people like to overshoot this to prove they are capable..Why are they asking for just one year tuition when they know you are spending 2/4yrs? Cos they believe money will surely come into the account later. That's why they will ask what your sponsor is doing couple with the statement.

I will advise you wait till January .... The VO belief is that financial standing doesn't change overnight. ..By January, you will support the statement with uncle/father/mother and change your I-20. or can you get a sponsor and change the I-20 now before your school resumes. Though, the best option is to wait.

The guy next to me too was self sponsored and he got his visa approved
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by jimtosam: 6:01pm On Jun 20, 2013
There are always exceptions but self-sponsored is not a good option ... you are denied based on this. You gat good profile; Coming here for public health (lucrative) , you are doing fine in Nigeria, you also got a good tie to Nigeria..

bigass:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigass(f): 6:23pm On Jun 20, 2013
jimtosam: There are always exceptions but self-sponsored is not a good option ... you are denied based on this. You gat good profile; Coming here for public health (lucrative) , you are doing fine in Nigeria, you also got a good tie to Nigeria..

I'm not young. I am a doctor and had this business as an inheritance. No other person will sponsor me what can I do.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by jimtosam: 6:32pm On Jun 20, 2013
Bigass,
Nobody is too old to be sponsored ..You are even a Doctor..You gat this.. Please, search for someone even if the person does not have many millions..You can use transfer strategy. Deposit what you got into his account to build it up. You can do this in the span of 2months. Don't just transfer all the money in a day.

Please, search for someone. US embassy can deny 10 times if one has not corrected his mistakes. It was very glaring that you were denied base on financial standing.

Take time to find someone and wait till Spring ... Cos several denials bring confidence down and I don't want this to happen to you.

bigass:

I'm not young. I am a doctor and had this business as an inheritance. No other person will sponsor me what can I do.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OpeThanks: 6:35pm On Jun 20, 2013
bigass:

That reminds me: I made a mistake filling my DS160 by indicating that I will pay for the trip myself. During the process of interview, the vo ask if I will be paying $46,000.

vo: So you are paying $46,000 plus?
me: No, the required fee for one year is $23,000 plus.
vo: Yes, but you are paying for two years.
( Then I remember that I had stated that I am paying for my trip myself while filling the DS-160)
me: Oh. That is why I brought in my sponsor.
vo: what does you sponsor do and how much does he earn per year?
me: I told him.
vo: Okay.
( He tore and gave me the green slip, asking me to pick up after 2 working days).

You never can tell, the guy might have a back up too. Just answering that question ended the interview for me. Several things must have added up and not just one thing. My wife also got her visa approved this week and she is coming in for MPH too. You can check my previous posts (interviews) if it can help but I believe you want to let the vo know that you have a future with the course. Giving the vo an area of specialization is also not a bad idea.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigass(f): 6:44pm On Jun 20, 2013
Ope-Thanks:

That reminds me: I made a mistake filling my DS160 by indicating that I will pay for the trip myself. During the process of interview, the vo ask if I will be paying $46,000.

( Then I remember that I had stated that I am paying for my trip myself while filling the DS-160)
( He tore and gave me the green slip, asking me to pick up after 2 working days).

You never can tell, the guy might have a back up too. Just answering that question ended the interview for me. Several things must have added up and not just one thing. My wife also got her visa approved this week and she is coming in for MPH too. You can check my previous posts (interviews) if it can help but I believe you want to let the vo know that you have a future with the course. Giving the vo an area of specialization is also not a bad idea.

Who sponsored you and your wife.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jun 20, 2013
@bigass, d man has realy kicked ur ass, lol. Just kidding! Back 2 biz! 1. How can i doctor say he's also into business. That didn't sound well. 2.U said ur wife is expecting. Expecting wat? U could hv told d VO dat ur wife is pregnant n she'll put to bed soo. Strong home ties. 3.Ur wife works at MTN(customer care) without stating if she has an experience in biz. Believe me, if u had mentioned that the VO would hv believed u more coz she'll handld ur biz properly wen u're out of d country or better still, tell him ur bro will take over ur biz wen u r nt around. My brother, in all honesty, i would like u 2 defy ur application to nxt session and be much more tactical. I'm pretty sure u'll get it. 3.Self-sponsor does not hv any effect coz it measd ur financial equilibrium is balanced!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by hope4me2012: 6:51pm On Jun 20, 2013
Ope-Thanks:

@ope-thanks,

The DS160 question of who is paying your trip only refers to airfare and related expenses.
It cannot not be interpreted to mean tuition.
I think you only assumed that since the VO did not specifically state that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OpeThanks: 7:12pm On Jun 20, 2013
bigass:
Who sponsored you and your wife.

The same person sponsored us. Like I said, I filled my DS160 as self-sponsored so, my sponsor's name only appeared on her DS160 but not on mine. (Some things might work in your favor after-all).
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OpeThanks: 7:30pm On Jun 20, 2013
hope4me2012:

@ope-thanks,

The DS160 question of who is paying your trip only refers to airfare and related expenses.
It cannot not be interpreted to mean tuition.
I think you only assumed that since the VO did not specifically state that.

We can never be 100% sure but I don't think there is any other section on the DS160 indicating your sponsor. Just like you said, I filled the box as "self-sponsored" because I believe it was referring to the flight ticket, but come to think of it, the DS160 is a student category of its kind. A business man going for shopping can sponsor himself because he'll be back in no time but a student cannot actually predict how long he is going to be staying in the US. You might decide to go for PhD afterwards.

I might be totally wrong too but believe me when I say I have read virtually all the interview-experiences shared on this thread and I have learnt something different from each one of them. My advice to people is to find time and read through most posts on the thread, the effort will be worth it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by wabiwabi91: 7:46pm On Jun 20, 2013
Good evening. My visa was approved this afternoon. I went to the lagos embassy. The interview was less than 2 mins and I was not asked to present any documents. (Lucky me- my bank statement had only 2 million, required amount is 8 million).

Here is how the dialogue went.

VO: good morning, please pass me your documents
Me: good morning *i pass documents*
VO: where are you going?
Me: Purdue University, Indiana
VO: *looks at my passport and notices I have 2 I-20s* are you are you a renewal applicant?
Me: something like that. I studied at Purdue from 2008 till 2010, and now I'm going to complete my bachelor's degree.
VO: why did you stop in 2010?
Me: my mother, who was my sponsor passed away.
VO: I'm sorry
Me: its ok
VO: who is paying for your studies?
Me: my godfather
VO: does he live here in Nigeria or in the US
Me: here in Nigeria
VO: how long have you been in nigeria since you came back?
Me: 3 years
VO: *looking through my passport and checking out previous visas I have been issued* how many countries have you visited?
Me: 2, the US and the UK
VO: *looks at old student visa* how old were you when you started at Purdue University
Me: 15
VO: really? That's crazy!
Me: *smile* I try, I try
VO: *smiles* ok, your visa has been approved. You can pick it up on tuesday.
Me: thanks. *walk away*

No documents were requested. I think this is because I am pretty well traveled (4 prior US visas, 5 prior UK visas) and because I've studied in the US previously. It was pretty cool. Oh and I saw Tony Tetuila at the embassy.

The strange thing is that I didn't get the green slip, just the pick up information letter. I hope this won't be a problem. Anyhow, that's it. Best of luck to all the others.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mario2575: 7:56pm On Jun 20, 2013
Congrats..Good to hear some good news..
wabi_wabi_91: Good evening. My visa was approved this afternoon. I went to the lagos embassy. The interview was less than 2 mins and I was not asked to present any documents. (Lucky me- my bank statement had only 2 million, required amount is 8 million).

VO: *looks at my passport and notices I have 2 I-20s* are you are you a renewal applicant?
Me: something like that. I studied at Purdue from 2008 till 2010, and now I'm going to complete my bachelor's degree.
VO: *looking through my passport and checking out previous visas I have been issued* how many countries have you visited?
VO: *looks at old student visa* how old were you when you started at Purdue University

No documents were requested. I think this is because I am pretty well traveled (4 prior US visas, 5 prior UK visas) and because I've studied in the US previously. It was pretty cool. Oh and I saw Tony Tetuila at the embassy.

The strange thing is that I didn't get the green slip, just the pick up information letter. I hope this won't be a problem. Anyhow, that's it. Best of luck to all the others.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jun 20, 2013
wabi_wabi_91: Good evening. My visa was approved this afternoon. I went to the lagos embassy. The interview was less than 2 mins and I was not asked to present any documents. (Lucky me- my bank statement had only 2 million, required amount is 8 million).

O boy at 15! That was mad! Congrats dear! If you love ur woman biko bia nso ka irekpete! Tony Tetula from 9ja! Him too get hin own visa one hand.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by vivysparkles(f): 8:11pm On Jun 20, 2013
My 2cents.......I think err one whose interview is coming up should post a mock interview (question and answers)for the house to read, review and make corrections. Questions should be exhaustive and cover mostly the academic questions usually asked by vo's as those are the areas where most F1 applicants flop the most . Financial areas aren't much of a problem once there's enuf cash in the account

Sample
Q. where are you going to?
A.university of ......
Q.why this university?
A. Because .......
And d list goes on. Let the house read ur answers and tell you whether it's perfect or you need to edit ASAP
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by daminho(m): 8:11pm On Jun 20, 2013
House I nid you guyz advice...April dis year I was given a scholarship to study environmental engring at university of Oulu, Finland (10,500euros/yr) ....and just dis month I was accepted by Missouri uni of sci Nd tech to study my prefered geology and geophysics come fall...no assistantship or wateva...I don't even have 1million in my acct. And have already started my residence permit processing with Finland embassy which takes two month.....note: am a civil servant and I can get a sponsor acct but no money when I get to the states....pls advice
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by oyetpel(m): 8:15pm On Jun 20, 2013
bigass:

Nd u go leave d business go abroad?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 8:16pm On Jun 20, 2013
Hello Everyone,

Pls Gurus in the House I need a SOLID Advise on this Issue..

When I filled and Submitted my DS 160 form yesterday, there was a part that said "Intended Length of stay in the US".

I Filled 5 years on the DS 160 form. And my i-20 states 60 months...

60 months is approximately 5 years..

Pls I need your suggestions guys.

I hope this WON'T be a problem at the Embassy...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by hope4me2012: 8:39pm On Jun 20, 2013
Ricky Rozay: Hello Everyone,

Pls Gurus in the House I need a SOLID Advise on this Issue..

When I filled and Submitted my DS 160 form yesterday, there was a part that said "Intended Length of stay in the US".

I Filled 5 years on the DS 160 form. And my i-20 states 60 months...

60 months is approximately 5 years..

Pls I need your suggestions guys.

I hope this WON'T be a problem at the Embassy...

I will advice that you state the 60months as its on your I-20.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jun 20, 2013
daminho: House I nid you guyz advice...April dis year I was given a scholarship to study environmental engring at university of Oulu, Finland (10,500euros/yr) ....and just dis month I was accepted by Missouri uni of sci Nd tech to study my prefered geology and geophysics come fall...no assistantship or wateva...I don't even have 1million in my acct. And have already started my residence permit processing with Finland embassy which takes two month.....note: am a civil servant and I can get a sponsor acct but no money when I get to the states....pls advice

how do u plan paying for the school in US? what degree are u going for? if its a first, I'll advise u go the Finland route and possibly go for masters in the US
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:30pm On Jun 20, 2013
valentino81: morning NLDERS, When a school demands that u should attach two letters of refrence with ur application, what does it mean? any criteria of the refrees as in academic, qualification etc. and also, i will like you to shed more light on how to wite a 500 wors letter of purpose. any sample shoul kindly be forwarded to valentino4ualone@gmail.com. thanks.

Please make sure that at least 1 of your referees is an academic referee (a former lecturer, professor etc in your UG university).

A referee is someone who knows about you, your academic abilities, your work abilities, qualities and bad sides - someone who knows you to an extent that can write a recommendation letter on your behalf.

As for SOP sample, use google.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:30pm On Jun 20, 2013
baggylips: Please house,i need a good school in u.s to pursue a masters degree in Environmental biotechnology or biotechnology in general with option in Environmental biotech.I made 2.2 in my first degree with a GPA of 3.06 on a 5.0 scale.thanks for anticipated assistance

Use google. You'll get the answer you seek best there. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:37pm On Jun 20, 2013
valentino81: @ fittty thanks. i'm going for graduate studies. Any Nlder with GMAT n Toefl material; kindly fwrd it to valentino4ualone@gmail.com

Send an empty message to selfstudy360@gmail.com and you'll get an automatic response containing the download links you need.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 9:48pm On Jun 20, 2013
vivysparkles: My 2cents.......I think err one whose interview is coming up should post a mock interview (question and answers)for the house to read, review and make corrections. Questions should be exhaustive and cover mostly the academic questions usually asked by vo's as those are the areas where most F1 applicants flop the most . Financial areas aren't much of a problem once there's enuf cash in the account

Sample
Q. where are you going to?
A.university of ......
Q.why this university?
A. Because .......
And d list goes on. Let the house read ur answers and tell you whether it's perfect or you need to edit ASAP

I'm sorry, if you're expecting that you won't get it here. Moreover, its not necessary. You can prepare all you want only to get to the embassy and forget your rehearsals, start stammering and shaking, see yourself giving different responses than you prepared or worst of all, get asked totally different unrelated questions altogether! The best way to prepare is to read this thread thoroughly (parts 1, 2, 3) and pick the interview tips and points scattered here and there. You'll be fine.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.