Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,491 members, 7,850,716 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:53 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (167) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (489413 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 1:05pm On Jun 29, 2013
omg_star: Hello HOUSE,
Peradventure the Visa Officer asks "why should I grant you VISA?", what do you think will be the most suitable (general) KISS answer?

The best answer you can give will come from yourself. Read this thread from part 1 to part 4. There are so many interview stories posted on this thread containing varieties of replies to the question you asked. That's the best thing you can do for yourself at this point.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by theDonBee: 1:06pm On Jun 29, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

They are soooooooooo efficient and veryyy cheap. They are the cheapest for Pick up services among all couriers. I can testify to that.

I received my package within 3 working days and they gave a Tracking Number which I was able to track my package till it got to Lagos Nigeria..

And I paid Just #12,260... Compared to FedEx and DHL that charge way Higher than this...
I agree with you bro. Same with me, NGN12,260. Fedex was about 23k+, DHL about 18k+
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by creme001: 1:08pm On Jun 29, 2013
Hello house!! I would like to say a big thank you to all contributors in the house for their seasoned and expert advice.. God bless you all. I have been a silent follower of this tread for a while with my friend "vivvysparkle". I went in for my Visa Interview confidently thanks to this tread, people like vivvysparkle and definitely God almighty.

My interview was on the 27th of June, 8am, in Abuja

After going through all them due processes, the interview started by 8:50am (luckily, that akpo old white woman was not around)

I was interviewed by Ryan from box 6

Interview:

VO: Good morning, documents pls
Me: Good morning Sir, here they are.
VO: After typing on his system and looking at me in a very funny manner(like am looking way older than my age- i bin nak better suit and medicated glasses and i am getting slightly bald so na low cut i dey on.. but i still b fine boy shaaa wink ..) he asked "Have u traveled out of the country"
Me: yes sir (with a smile) i was in UK, Manchester and London to b precise for a month last year
VO: who sponsored the trip
Me: My father ( but na me sponsor myself oohh)
VO: Ok, So Oregon State Uiversity Yea?
Me: Yes Sir
VO: Typed furiously for about 30 seconds, looked at me in a funny way again(at this point, i knew he was a cool guy and humor would sit well with him) and asked me, "whats the sports name of your school"
Me: at this point my head spin small.. was taking unawares. I was expecting the normal start up questions .. But God had mercy. i had read about the different sports associated with the state and the school for personal purposes being a sports person and i kept coming across "the BEAVERS".. I just said "GO BEAVERS" pumping my hands to air like i was hooting for a team... the man laughed.. at this point i just knew i had to keep it simple and not screw up (i don rope in the oyibo)
VO: So why Civil Engineering?
Me: i am already practicing in this field and i intend to build a career in construction process management and safety and a degree in CE will help me achieve this goal of mine(something like that; i was in Spirit Mode)
VO: ur working now yeah?
Me: Yes Sir, name of coy..
VO: K, cool.. so what will u be graduating with?
Me: MS in CE
VO: What is Civil Engineering
Me: said something technical shaaa
V0: Courses you will be taking
Me: named bout 6 or 7 and named some profs that would be taking them
VO: who is sponsoring
Me: My dad
VO: What does he do for a living
Me: He owns a a 2nd generation construction coy and also runs a 3rd generation civil and hoteln coy.. was a lil scared.. i didnt have all the docs on me but i was pretty confident and was blowing better funnnneeee
vo: Do you have siblings
Me: yes i do sir
VO: Any schooled in america?
Me: yes. told him name of school, course and that she's back in nija, happily married and working
VO: Any standardized test?
ME: yes sir, gave him my GRE and toefl
VO: So what do u intend doing with this degree.
Me: I intend increasing my knowledge and network while in the state then come home, work for my .... the man come cut me short..... VO: Yeahhhhhhh, i guess he has to recoup some of his heavy investment.. wise man..
Me: I follow am laf well, "Yes he is sir"
VO: giving me the white paper and dropping my passport behind him, started saying those sweet melodious words that ur ears choose not to comprehend out of excitement.. then he ended the blabs by saying GO BEAVERS, Go get them.....

In all, it was in about 2 mins, i tried to give direct, quick answers and stuck to infomat wey dey my Passport, DS-160 and I-20 forms
After asking certain questions, he looked at me squarely and watched me.... i guess he was looking for a hint of lie

My advise, carry out extensive research, the interview doesnt always follow a particular trend or pattern.. a chic was asked how cold her school is as in average temperature year round and what is a must have as an international student, another was asked how will he get into his school, which airline, flight route and closest airport to his school. location of school in terms of geography(north, west, south east), which states share border and what is the state known for.... funny questions right?

I give thanks to God for his mercies endurethhhh forever.....
hope this is helpful..

Azonto time.......

8 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithremmy: 1:08pm On Jun 29, 2013
kunlebal:

You said it all bro, for someone like me now the huge bank statement is my problem. Am planning to go for my Msc in Accounting/Finance in january and the total package is around $20,000-$30,000, I have people (both here in najia n abroad)that are ready to assist me in paying the school fees but non of them as up to that amount in there banks statement and I don't want to go through an agent. So what do u think I should do, Cos I want to start the process now against january

Please house what are the Document to take to embassy I live in lagos I am married n wife own a bussiness n work health centre please list the document 4me and what number will I call to. Book appointment pls help me on time as I can book on monday after sending money order when will dey confirm the payment so I can print reciept
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ystd4567: 1:33pm On Jun 29, 2013
@creme001:

Congratulations! So much drilling and funny questions at the abuja consulate. Nice interview experience.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 2:22pm On Jun 29, 2013
creme001: Hello house!! I would like to say a big thank you to all contributors in the house for their seasoned and expert advice.. God bless you all. I have been a silent follower of this tread for a while with my friend "vivvysparkle". I went in for my Visa Interview confidently thanks to this tread, people like vivvysparkle and definitely God almighty.

My interview was on the 27th of June, 8am, in Abuja

My advise, carry out extensive research, the interview doesnt always follow a particular trend or pattern.. a chic was asked how cold her school is as in average temperature year round and what is a must have as an international student, another was asked how will he get into his school, which airline, flight route and closest airport to his school. location of school in terms of geography(north, west, south east), which states share border and what is the state known for.... funny questions right?

I give thanks to God for his mercies endurethhhh forever.....
hope this is helpful..

Azonto time.......

Congratulations! Our first Abuja success story in a long while!cheesy

@Bolded: Geez. Menn...how do they expect you to know all that? If you as a student can know all that then you're the potential immigrant they are looking for nau...grin

Wait o, seems like these guys have changed their interview tactics.

...I hope those VOs have not stumbled across this dear thread of ours and decided to change tactics. shocked

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by nigerianphoenix: 2:33pm On Jun 29, 2013
I'm not yet 18. Do I need to take one of my parents to the interview?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 2:41pm On Jun 29, 2013
@FooHard

On a second thought, the old immigration US law may not apply to you given the new US immigration law just passed two days ago. My former post to you was based on the old US immigration system. However, an immigration law overhaul has been passed in the senate house two days ago and the new system is totally different from the old system. Maybe, that's why the VOs have decided to change interview tactics. Who knows. You maybe lucky at your interview, who knows. Wish you the best.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ystd4567: 2:51pm On Jun 29, 2013
@Bigfrancis21,

The old immigration law is still in effect. The new proposed immigration law has been given a go-ahead by the senate BUT still has to go through the house of representative.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 29, 2013
nigerianphoenix: I'm not yet 18. Do I need to take one of my parents to the interview?

No oo, I'm not up to 18 too (17 to be precise).. But i dnt knw if d so called new bill will change for MINORS..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by nomso27(m): 4:37pm On Jun 29, 2013
Brothers hello. . . ..
Please what is tax clearance payment ?

Does it have anything to do with 1-20 student visa ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 4:56pm On Jun 29, 2013
nomso27: Brothers hello. . . ..
Please what is tax clearance payment ?

Does it have anything to do with 1-20 student visa ?
No, it doesn't.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 5:09pm On Jun 29, 2013
@Bigfrancis21

Thank you so much as you have been really helpful.

Where can I fing this new immigrant law and even the old one so I can go through them.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by labiowo: 5:27pm On Jun 29, 2013
Hello Nairalander,
Please i need help in the payment of SEVIS fee
Thanks in advance
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bones007: 6:37pm On Jun 29, 2013
labiowo: Hello Nairalander,
Please i need help in the payment of SEVIS fee
Thanks in advance

Go to Eco bank in cotonou, the one just after crossing the border with the sum of $200, and mind u, u r to carrying more than $200 because the bank will be charging u as well.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by riverboy: 7:32pm On Jun 29, 2013
congrats creme001. ppl lets us try and go to church 2mao and also remember to pray for those that are yet to have their visa interview esp..............AMEN

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babykonbia: 5:53am On Jun 30, 2013
Hello Great forum members, I,m going to the embassy in a weeks time with my spouse (me-F1 and she F2), if they ask her why she must go with me, please what will she say? Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:50am On Jun 30, 2013
babykonbia: Hello Great forum members, I,m going to the embassy in a weeks time with my spouse (me-F1 and she F2), if they ask her why she must go with me, please what will she say? Thanks.

I won't be bothered about that - she's your wife and that's why the F2 visa category was created anyways. rather, I'd be bothered about how I plan to convince the V.O that I have enough funds to sustain both of us for the entire duration of my studies. Also, if you are not self sponsored, you might want to start thinking about why a 3rd party will want to sponsor both you and your wife.

You also have to demonstrate strong naija ties as you are now taking your wife, that you would have hitherto returned to, along with you.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Edman2012(m): 6:55am On Jun 30, 2013
please i need appointment date for either abuja or lagos in july.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Edman2012(m): 6:59am On Jun 30, 2013
Edman2012: please i need appointment date for either abuja or lagos in july.
please house help me with any appointment dates in abuja or lagos for july.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babykonbia: 7:32am On Jun 30, 2013
Thank you dear, this forum is indeed great. I'm a medical doctor working with the state government, I've been given a study leave with pay for the duration of my masters program(2 years), will that not be a good tie for me(F1) and my spouse (F2). As of funding, it is more of my personal funds and partly scholarship. But just in case she is asked by the VO why she must go with me, what possible good reason will she give? Thanks a-million!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:43am On Jun 30, 2013
babykonbia: Thank you dear, this forum is indeed great. I'm a medical doctor working with the state government, I've been given a study leave with pay for the duration of my masters program(2 years), will that not be a good tie for me(F1) and my spouse (F2). As of funding, it is more of my personal funds and partly scholarship. But just in case she is asked by the VO why she must go with me, what possible good reason will she give? Thanks a-million!

Study leave with pay - that's fair enough.

See sample F2 questions on this page

http://binaryjunction.com/2010/07/08/f2-visa-interview-questions-for-united-states-of-america/
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 8:00am On Jun 30, 2013
@anonymous

What do you think abouut my situation?
I have a study leave with pay for the period of 2 years and I have full fundng from a scholarship from federal government of nigeria. The study pay has a bond that I must return to nigeria to work for at least 2years before I can resign and the scholarship has a bond that I must return to Ngeria to work for at least 3 years to impact the economy with whatever haev learnt in the program but my fear is, my wife lives in thhe USA and have file immigrant petition for me in March this year. The petition is presently on the initial review stage.

What sort of questions should I prepare for? Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 30, 2013
foohard: @anonymous

I have a study leave with pay for the period of 2 years and I have full fundng from a scholarship from federal government of nigeria. The study pay has a bond that I must return to nigeria to work for at least 2years before I can resign and the scholarship has a bond that I must return to Ngeria to work for at least 3 years to impact the economy with whatever haev learnt in the program but my fear is, my wife lives in thhe USA and have file immigrant petition for me in March this year. The petition is presently on the initial review stage.

Honestly speaking, I don't know what the VO will think in this case. If your immigration petition is seen on record, then that is a major red flag. The only way to find out is to go for the interview. Make a strong case with your FG scholarship and 2 yr bond (The FG scholarship itself will boost your application). And ultimately, hope for the best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 10:49am On Jun 30, 2013
@anonymous

Ok.. thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 11:16am On Jun 30, 2013
foohard: @anonymous

I have a study leave with pay for the period of 2 years and I have full fundng from a scholarship from federal government of nigeria. The study pay has a bond that I must return to nigeria to work for at least 2years before I can resign and the scholarship has a bond that I must return to Ngeria to work for at least 3 years to impact the economy with whatever have learnt in the program but my fear is, my wife lives in thhe USA and have file immigrant petition for me in March this year. The petition is presently on the initial review stage.

I've been to several websites on your issue and they unanimously repeated my former point. One of the websites is this below:

http://www.familybasedimmigration.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11821

I read a case on the website below about a student, though already in the US, who has a brother in the US that filed an immigration visa petition for him. Funny enough he has traveled out of US 4 times and returned and he wasn't stopped nor prevented from re-entering. During each entry, he stopped for check up where the immigrations officials looked up his records in their system, and saw all his history (previous student visa plus pending immigrant visa petition), yet he wasn't denied entry into the US. Like I said, circumstances vary.
http://www.justanswer.com/immigration-law/2ndzt-reentering-us-f1-status-depsite-pending-i-130-petitio.html

Once you have an immigrant visa petition pending (form I-130), obtaining a non-immigrant visa at the embassy will be difficult, not impossible. Note the bolded. It may be difficult but not impossible. This is because individual cases vary. When you get there, be honest with them and tell them exactly what you just told us here. Your case is a unique and credible one. If I were the VO and you approach me and open your heart to me and tell me your case, I'd see no reason I should deny you.

I will strongly advise you not to try to hide anything from the VO or try to hide that you have an immigrant visa petition pending or hiding that you have a relative (your spouse) abroad by editing it out of your DS-160. They will still know all that because they have your records on their system. And if they begin to sense dishonesty in you, they'll be moved more to deny you.

DON'T START TO FEEL DISCOURAGED. YOU CAN STILL GET THE VISA. BE POSITIVE.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 12:23pm On Jun 30, 2013
@bigfrancis21

You never seize to amaze me and thank you so much for your words of encouragement because I'm actually feeling discouraged.

Even before I was introduced to this nairaland forum. I have already indicated that my wife has filed for me in the DS-160 form turning down several advises from people that said if I let the VO know I have relative in the USA, that i would be denied.

I indicated because I hate to lie. Also, I understand Information Technology well as I read Computer Science in my first degree O.O.U, Master of Information Science at the University of Ibadan. So, I know the capabilities of USA Information Systems so there is no way they wont be able to tract my record.

Also, I pray hard to get the VISA but if I dont, I can go to UK to study and my immigrant VISA would have been ready by the time I graduated so, I'm in no desperate for the VISA. I just want to be with my wife. The school that offered me admission in UK is far rated better than LOYOLA UNIVERSITY CHICAGO that I chose in the USA. Above all, I have a good job here and so do not have any reason to be desperate to leave the country.

Again, thank you so much and I must let you know you are well appreciated.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dondio5: 4:06pm On Jun 30, 2013
kudos to all.
I am going for usa interview next week. My school did use waec in lieu of toefl and they also stated in the 1 20 that they do require English test and the student has it. Pls my confusion now is that i wouldnt know what the visa officer wil ask though i wrote toefl but the score is low 65. Pls friends am thinking of going wit it incase if they ask. Pls is the score acceptable at the usa embassy .thanks ur replies will be gratefully appreciated.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olarwarlay(m): 5:17pm On Jun 30, 2013
dondio5: kudos to all.
I am going for usa interview next week. My school did use waec in lieu of toefl and they also stated in the 1 20 that they do require English test and the student has it. Pls my confusion now is that i wouldnt know what the visa officer wil ask though i wrote toefl but the score is low 65. Pls friends am thinking of going wit it incase if they ask. Pls is the score acceptable at the usa embassy .thanks ur replies will be gratefully appreciated.

I'm guessing you are for undergraduate and though your toefl score is kinda low, i'd advise you go with it since you have no other choice.

However, make sure you have a very good answer ready in case the VO asks you why your toefl score is that low (come up with a very good reason for the low score and also add that your school made the admission decision based on the toefl score and the evaluation of your high school transcript).

Best of Luck!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Walspring: 6:18pm On Jun 30, 2013
Can someone kindly please tell me where can i pay SEVIS fees in Nigeria that i secure and reliable?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fideliajohn(f): 6:53pm On Jun 30, 2013
Walspring: Can someone kindly please tell me where can i pay SEVIS fees in Nigeria that i secure and reliable?

You cant pay SEVIS in Nija, goto Contonu.

(1) (2) (3) ... (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.