Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,479 members, 7,850,665 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 06:55 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (275) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (489412 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by linux28: 1:43pm On Aug 01, 2013
hi every1
pls why do us embassy reject community college student :i was just rejected!
pls cn anyone tell me skul in the states tht dont require sat or toefl for application for admission.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by FutureDon(m): 2:08pm On Aug 01, 2013
@Ricky Rozay

Learn to be logical with whatever appraisal you have to make. I don't want to make direct comments to what you've just said, as it's not the reason why we are here smiley

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 2:10pm On Aug 01, 2013
linux28: hi every1
pls cn anyone tell me skul in the states tht dont require sat or toefl for application for admission.

Sorry about your Denial bro..

If you have been following this thread lately, you will see that community colleges are seen as RED FLAGS at the Embassy.. The VOs see it as an associate degree/Diplomas and students willing to study at community colleges are seen as potential immigrants, and are Marked as students who are Unserious and willing to travel to the US by any means possible.. Desperados as we call them..

I have lots of schools in the US that don't require SAT, I usually put it up here for peeps to check them out, but I have come to realise that if I keep doing that then I'm not helping you guys...

You need to take the SAT.. It is not difficult and when you take the SAT then apply to a good 4 year university.. Most especially a state university because they are always cheap and affordable and they are ACCEPTABLE at the Embassy....

So, when you do all this things, then I can Boldly say to you that you have 95% Chance of getting your F-1 Student Visa if you cover the loop holes and do all the required I told you above...

And always make sure you contribute on this thread.. Try to say something. Don't be in the dark.

You guys should stop killing urself secretly in one corner, assuming you have posted here about this community college, different peeps here would have advised you further and you wouldn't have been denied today...

So I will advice you take your time to read previous threads and I promise you will gain a lot and see some useful tips...

Cheers bro..

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 2:10pm On Aug 01, 2013
linux28: hi every1
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by RickyRozay: 2:15pm On Aug 01, 2013
FutureDon: @Ricky Rozay

Learn to be logical with whatever appraisal you have to make. I don't want to make direct comments to what you've just said, as it's not the reason why we are here smiley

I definately know it's about the UK issue...

There is one thing you need to know is that the truth really hurts... I say what I know, because I have been on that issue for long.... No worry u won't understand wetin person eyes don see...

If dem show you Honey and YoYo Bitters, u wan tell me say u no go know which one sweet pass.

Cheers bro..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by linux28: 2:16pm On Aug 01, 2013
[quote author=Ricky Rozay]
i ave written toefl already
am planning to write sat (even the us embassy ask for sat)by oct(next available date).
i want to start applying now for spring .pls can u send me the name of those schools
i am applyin for premedicine
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 2:43pm On Aug 01, 2013
TaylorGang: Plss house am a stammer...I stammered at a point during my last interview....and I was denied,am looking forward to reapply soon...pls is it wise for me to tell d v.o that am a stammer and tell he/she that I will tak my words bit by bit...so I cn express myself.thanks guys

Sorry for your denial bro. My younger brother used to stutter as a kid but suddenly as he grew up it just went away, but for a little left, say 5%. He's an undergraduate now in his final year and it doesn't affect him in anyway.

My dad, who my brother got it from, is a little stammerer. But he learned to overcome his own such that you won't know. My dad's younger brother also stutters but learned to overcome his own in public and private speeches such that you'd never know.

Stammerers do learn how to manage, if they can't overcome, stammering.

If you can't overcome it, yes then it is quite imperative that you first mention it at your next interview. The VOs are understanding and they'll take it easy with you. As you stuttered, they'll assume it was out of fear or lack of confidence, not actually knowing you stutter for real.

Also, do post your interview for review and correction. It will help you a lot.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 3:18pm On Aug 01, 2013
yomisley: is it a must that nigerian must do english test before someone can study abroad. i believe nigeria is an english speaking country . pls advice me nairalander

No. Its not a must. Some US schools waive the English requirement for Nigerians because English is our official language of educational learning. The same applies to some UK universities too. While the rest demand for TOEFL/IELTS notwithstanding.

It all depends on your school. Look up their TOEFL requirement and see whether you qualify for a waiver or not. On most US schools' websites, they'll write first that TOEFL is required from international students. You might at first believe you need to write TOEFL/IELTS because you're an international student. Don't assume yet. Read further. They usually write the list of countries exempted from providing the TOEFL requirement such as UK, Jamaica, Nigeria, Ghana, Liberia etc because not all international students are foreign-language speaking. Some do speak English too. UK citizens especially, whose students are international students from the US angle.

So check the list of exempt countries and if Nigeria is there, then you don't need TOEFL. If Nigeria isn't on the list, you'll need to write TOEFL or find another school that doesn't need TOEFL, that's if you don't want to write TOEFL.

Note: I used TOEFL to also include the IELTS exam. Both are generally accepted worldwide.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 3:29pm On Aug 01, 2013
vivysparkles:

Abuja people don't send u emails or text o...go at d end of two working days or on the morning of the third day ie end of today or early tmr morning...if u keep checking that status thing, I'll never go just like odowetalu who waited for ten days Before going .lol

You are correct, my passport is actually ready.

There is an issue here o. My vsa was stamped on my passport that's cancelled. I attached the 2 passports because a customer representative told me I have to go with the 2 passports because I used the old one for my application simply because the one wasn't ready.

I guess I can't travel with that or is it possible to travel with a passport that has been cancelled?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by risherris: 3:48pm On Aug 01, 2013
TaylorGang: Plss house am a stammer...I stammered at a point during my last interview....and I was denied,am looking forward to reapply soon...pls is it wise for me to tell d v.o that am a stammer and tell he/she that I will tak my words bit by bit...so I cn express myself.thanks guys
sorry for that delay...the point is , no VO will ever rush you when answerinG questions,when next you appear,take your words bit by bit please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 4:06pm On Aug 01, 2013

Yes you can just tell her that you talk slowly because you stammer.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:13pm On Aug 01, 2013
@TaylorGang,

Adding to other comments, you should let him/her know. No crime in making them get to know you before having misconception about you. Best of luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 4:14pm On Aug 01, 2013
@ BigFrancis and Gboyega

I have talked to Geology Professors in many of the TX universities in the past. The only thing common with what they all said was free tuition + RA/GA which benefits come in form of a monthly stipend. They said I won't have to pay a dime if given admission. Same thing goes for MS candidates. Only UT El Paso told me I will have to pay in-state while they offered a RA.

I am still surprised about this 50% law as I know many geologists who got in to those schools without paying a dime. Most of the Geology departments have substantial endowments, foundations and grants from government agencies and oil companies. This is where they get the millions used in bank rolling this from. If the fund is from NSF, they want to make sure they spend all the money before the expiration of the grant else it goes back to NSF. So, they freely offer you free tuition and the rest. Or is it that departments of geology in these schools simply do not follow the 50% rule?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 4:44pm On Aug 01, 2013
OjaP: @ BigFrancis and Gboyega

I have talked to Geology Professors in many of the TX universities in the past. The only thing common with what they all said was free tuition + RA/GA which benefits come in form of a monthly stipend. They said I won't have to pay a dime if given admission. Same thing goes for MS candidates. Only UT El Paso told me I will have to pay in-state while they offered a RA.

I am still surprised about this 50% law as I know many geologists who got in to those schools without paying a dime. Most of the Geology departments have substantial endowments, foundations and grants from government agencies and oil companies. This is where they get the millions used in bank rolling this from. If the fund is from NSF, they want to make sure they spend all the money before the expiration of the grant else it goes back to NSF. So, they freely offer you free tuition and the rest. Or is it that departments of geology in these schools simply do not follow the 50% rule?

Like I said earlier, the tuition fee thing is dependent on your research professor however, by rule, they only waive out of state tuition and if your professor wants, he could get you a full tuition waiver.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 4:48pm On Aug 01, 2013
GboyegaD:

Like I said earlier, the tuition fee thing is dependent on your research professor however, by rule, they only waive out of state tuition and if your professor wants, he could get you a full tuition waiver.

Thanks GboyegaD. I can fully understand now.

But wait oo. Can we say the Profs are breaking the rule? In that case, it becomes no rule or law.gringrin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by TaylorGang: 5:13pm On Aug 01, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Sorry for your denial bro. My younger brother used to stutter as a kid but suddenly as he grew up it just went away, but for a little left, say 5%. He's an undergraduate now in his final year and it doesn't affect him in anyway.

My dad, who my brother got it from, is a little stammerer. But he learned to overcome his own such that you won't know. My dad's younger brother also stutters but learned to overcome his own in public and private speeches such that you'd never know.

If you can't overcome it, yes then it is quite imperative that you first mention it at your next interview. The VOs are understanding and they'll take it easy with you. As you stuttered, they'll assume it was out of fear or lack of confidence, not actually knowing you stutter for real.

my interview went this way
Me: Gud morning sir
V.O: didn't reply..
V.O:giv me ur passport..and my i-20
Me:I passed the passport and d i-20
V.O: why do u want to study in d US
Me: told him..actually gav him a long response and I stammer during d speech
V.O: how many schools did u apply to
Me: 4 schools
V:0: name them
Me: I named them wit dia locations
V.O:he mentioned some tests and asked me which one I took
Me: I took SAT
V.0: what's ur SAT score
Me: I told him 1020
V.O: started typing and afta some time he said he can't issue me a visa now..that I can reapply
Note:I saw d guy in morning when a speedboat brought them..he was smoking..and I guess I was a bit tensed up and I stammered..@d 1st question. My interview was in Lagos on tuesday 30th july..I will reapply soon my soon..my skl(Concord University) opens on d 19 of august..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by TaylorGang: 5:13pm On Aug 01, 2013
bigfrancis21:

my interview went this way
Me: Gud morning sir
V.O: didn't reply..
V.O:giv me ur passport..and my i-20
Me:I passed the passport and d i-20
V.O: why do u want to study in d US
Me: told him..actually gav him a long response and I stammer during d speech
V.O: how many schools did u apply to
Me: 4 schools
V:0: name them
Me: I named them wit dia locations
V.O:he mentioned some tests and asked me which one I took
Me: I took SAT
V.0: what's ur SAT score
Me: I told him 1020
V.O: started typing and afta some time he said he can't issue me a visa now..that I can reapply
Note:I saw d guy in morning when a speedboat brought them..he was smoking..and I guess I was a bit tensed up and I stammered..@d 1st question. My interview was in Lagos on tuesday 30th july..I will reapply soon my soon..my skl(Concord University) opens on d 19 of august..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 5:21pm On Aug 01, 2013
OjaP:

Thanks GboyegaD. I can fully understand now.

But wait oo. Can we say the Profs are breaking the rule? In that case, it becomes no rule or law.gringrin

No, but remember that students are paid from the research grants of their professors thus, if a professor chooses to pay the student's tuition from his grant, the school can't stop that.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by OjaP: 5:37pm On Aug 01, 2013
GboyegaD:

No, but remember that students are paid from the research grants of their professors thus, if a professor chooses to pay the student's tuition from his grant, the school can't stop that.

Exactly my point. BigFrancis, that the state sets a rule doesn't mean you still can't get full waiver. You may have missed these good Texas schools because you didn't talk to the profs if you can get a grant.

Overall, the rule doesn't apply in most cases because the profs/dept. are the ones who pay most times and not the graduate school.

Thanks for clarifying Gboyega.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Espice(m): 6:28pm On Aug 01, 2013
Ricky Rozay:

I dislike that UK with Passion now... I used to cherish them before, until I got to know that if you have goals in life and you are from a very poor background, your dreams will DIE if you apply to a UK University... Seriously speaking..

That country is too Money Concious.... They don't wanna know whether you are Talented or Brillant, na their money dem dey find..... No offense, that is why you see majority of students who are Not academically bright will run to UK to school there because the money is there, they know they can't cope with the US Education system.

No Realistic scholarship, they will be giving u crazy #100,000 to #500,000 scholarship out of a overall tuition of 3million and above...

That is why I love th US Education system, Talents and goals are all welcomed from all works of life, No matter ur background, the US don't want to know who or what position your Father holds, they are more interested in what you offer on the table..

You will be challenged to take challenging courses that will prepare you well for your profession..
When you study in US, you will be challenged, they welcome the brightest students around the globe...

And also you have opportunities to various Realistic scholarships, GAs, TAs, e.t.c... Even some undergraguate students get FULL scholarship when they meet certain GPA or SAT score...

The US education has opened doors to many bright students who are financially challenged and from poor homes, they now have hope of making their dream come true with the US Education System.

Students going for Masters studies are even the ones enjoying the Most than those going for Undergraduate studies, Most of them receive one form of assistanships, like the GAs, TAs, Fellowship..e.t.c.. Even some go to the extent of securing a FULL assisstanship from the school or their department...

Unlike UK, the Only better thing dem sabi do is to be introducing useless and crazy UKBA Rule, tightening their Border every minute as if say everybody wan go steal GOLD for there... SMH.....

U'r so right my brother. UK is has got nothing to offer,just collecting foreigners hard earned money. If you do your master's in the U.S. You're expected to do a one year OPT (especially if u'r a STEM student), but in UK, you do a master's programme of about 4.5million-6mill naira without any industrial/practical training.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 01, 2013
@Linux28, you acted like Thomas. You gave away N26,400 just like that? It's quite unfortunate. You could have used this money for something else. @ Amefrica, sorry i didn't get your friend request or perhaps mistaken deleted it. Are you on facebook? You can drop me your id. I would add you right away. I am currently online on facebook.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by vivysparkles(f): 7:19pm On Aug 01, 2013
foohard:

You are correct, my passport is actually ready.

There is an issue here o. My vsa was stamped on my passport that's cancelled. I attached the 2 passports because a customer representative told me I have to go with the 2 passports because I used the old one for my application simply because the one wasn't ready.

I guess I can't travel with that or is it possible to travel with a passport that has been cancelled?

Kai...I made sure I detached my expired passport. U should leave the passport with DHL. They usually ask for errors on the visa, they should be able to give u d best advice in this situation. they most likely will return it n tell u if ill need to pay or do anything.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 7:35pm On Aug 01, 2013
OjaP:

Exactly my point. BigFrancis, that the state sets a rule doesn't mean you still can't get full waiver. You may have missed these good Texas schools because you didn't talk to the profs if you can get a grant.

Overall, the rule doesn't apply in most cases because the profs/dept. are the ones who pay most times and not the graduate school.

Thanks for clarifying Gboyega.

Missed kwa? I don't miss anything oo. grin I'm very much content with my UM. cheesy

I'm surprised at what you said. Well, I guess what you just said applies to research assistants. What about teaching assistants? I also think the special full waiver case applies to PhD students mainly right? What about masters students like me? grin

Anyway, I was going by what I read on the schools' websites when I was applying last year.

1) University of Texas, Dallas:
Applicants and students who receive a UT Dallas research assistantship or teaching assistantship and are classified as non-resident/out-of-state in their admission offer letter will have non-resident/out-of- state tuition waived and will pay tuition at the resident/in-state rate. Applicants and students who are awarded a UT Dallas competitive scholarship and are classified as non-resident/out-of-state in their admission letter may receive in conjunction with the scholarship a "competitive scholarship waiver." This waiver allows a student to pay tuition at the resident/ in-state rate. The state of Texas strictly limits how many competitive scholarship waivers may be offered, and the awarding of such waivers is at the sole discretion of the University.

www.utdallas.edu/admissions/graduate/financial/

2) University of Texas, Austin:
Graduate Research Assistantships
Graduate Research Assistantship (GRA) positions are usually awarded by individual faculty members.
GRAs who work at least 20 hours per week earn a salary, receive an out-of-state tuition waiver and may be eligible for health insurance benefits. GRAs are involved in a research project with a faculty member and often base their own research and dissertation on their work.

Teaching Assistantships

Teaching Assistantships may also be a part of
financial support packages. Teaching Assistants
(TAs) who work 20 hours/week receive a salary,
health insurance benefits, and in-state tuition.

Although responsibilities for TAs vary with each
professor, work usually includes grading exams and
papers, leading discussion or laboratory sessions,
and keeping office hours to help students with
coursework.
http://www.ece.utexas.edu/prospective/financial_support.cfm

3) University of Houston:

Graduate assistants are paid monthly stipends
ranging from $600 to $2,500 during the academic
year. In exchange, assistants spend 20 hours a week doing a variety of tasks, including classroom
instruction, academic advising, reading papers and
examinations, supervision, research, or other
administrative responsibilities. Students who work for the University may be eligible to earn waivers for out-of-state tuition.

http://www.uh.edu/financial/graduate/assistantships/index.php?r=stop

4) Texas A&M University:

Most of these positions require service of 20 hours
per week. Although individual colleges may have
higher requirements, graduate students holding
assistantships must be registered for a minimum of
nine semester hours during a fall or spring semester, or for six credit hours during the summer.
Assistantships terminate upon failure to maintain the minimum enrollment requirement. Students serving in these roles are eligible for insurance benefits and may pay tuition and fees at the in-state rate. The Office of Graduate and Professional Studies Graduate Council enforces guidelines for employing graduate students at greater than a 50% effort.
http://ogs.tamu.edu/funding-information/graduate-assistantships/

Its all these that made me run away from Texas. Anywhere I put head, half tuition waiver, half tuition waiver. Haba! angry

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 8:33pm On Aug 01, 2013
vivysparkles:

Kai...I made sure I detached my expired passport. U should leave the passport with DHL. They usually ask for errors on the visa, they should be able to give u d best advice in this situation. they most likely will return it n tell u if ill need to pay or do anything.

Thanks jare. I actually wanted to drop it with them but they called the embassy and they referred me to website that people can travel with expired or canceled passport with valid VISA. They said if I'm not comfortable with it, I can send to the embassy to issue on my new passport buh they can't promise when it will be ready and my orientation program commence on 20th of this month. So, I just collect am like that since they said I can travel with it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by vivysparkles(f): 9:09pm On Aug 01, 2013
foohard:

Thanks jare. I actually wanted to drop it with them but they called the embassy and they referred me to website that people can travel with expired or canceled passport with valid VISA. They said if I'm not comfortable with it, I can send to the embassy to issue on my new passport buh they can't promise when it will be ready and my orientation program commence on 20th of this month. So, I just collect am like that since they said I can travel with it.

Naija politics self! No b two days dem carry stamp dis one? How come all of a sudden they can't promise when a restamping would be ready
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 9:43pm On Aug 01, 2013
vivysparkles:

Naija politics self! No b two days dem carry stamp dis one? How come all of a sudden they can't promise when a restamping would be ready

You they mind them? When are you traveling?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by foohard: 10:25pm On Aug 01, 2013
Hello house,

You can snap 4 copies of passport photograph with embassy requirements (2"X2", or 5cmX5cm) at just 200 naira at new star photo in lagos.

I thought it would be rejected was why I didn't share earlier but its what I used and was accepted and its what I even have on my sexy VISA.

Hope that help.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by webstradamus: 10:48pm On Aug 01, 2013
foohard: Hello house,

You can snap 4 copies of passport photograph with embassy requirements (2"X2", or 5cmX5cm) at just 200 naira at new star photo in lagos.

I thought it would be rejected was why I didn't share earlier but its what I used and was accepted and its what I even have on my sexy VISA.

Hope that help.

Can the location get any vaguer than that? grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by vivysparkles(f): 11:03pm On Aug 01, 2013
foohard:

You they mind them? When are you traveling?

18th...ph to miami, lufthansa

(1) (2) (3) ... (272) (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.