Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,046 members, 7,849,225 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 04:39 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (66) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (489346 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dkgetmuny: 10:24am On May 12, 2013
I.Joan:

They will give it back to you when you go for your passport!
tnx mate i apprct..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by dkgetmuny: 10:27am On May 12, 2013
Isobutylene:

you'll meet hundreds of GREAT IFE guys at WVU, just spoke with one some minutes ago...I'm proud to be an alumnus too!

Congrats to all who got their visa and to those preparing for their interview, the ONE who brought you thus far shall perfect it IJN!
Amem..best of luck to everybody hoping and those that av gotten too..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Isobutylene: 10:41am On May 12, 2013
kofsy:

Looool are you serious? Pls what's the full name of the school? I mean WVU

West Virginia University

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 10:44am On May 12, 2013
stabbo: .

Hello Big Francis please would you be kind enough to send me some preparation materials for GRE? I just got denied @ d embassy and would like to write the exams asap. Thanks

Send an email to selfstudy360@gmail.com and you'll get an immediate email response containing the download links for the GRE PDF books. Grubers, Barrons, Cracking the New GRE, GMAT etc are all included. You make your choice.

I urge you to drop your visa interview experience to enable us review your performance and advice you for a better one next time.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by TLeo001: 1:32pm On May 12, 2013
@I.Joan... Thanks for the info, i really appreciate. @house..Abeg na i need una help, shey my school fit join and send my waec result( with scratch Card) and my transcripts to WES because on WES website it stated WAEC result To be sent directly to WES by the West African Examinations Council...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by gotousa2013: 1:57pm On May 12, 2013
dkgetmuny:
tnx mate i apprct..
dkgetmuny:
Amem..best of luck to everybody hoping and those that av gotten too..

I am honored to be an alumnus of great ife too ... I applied to WIU and on my accpetance I was accepted for Master of Health Sciences while on my i-20 , I am majoring in Public Health , which one will i fill on the DS-160 form . I have tried Master of Health Sciences(Public Health) but it wont accept this ...I would like to enter PUBLIC HEALTH there...please advice me thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by GboyegaD(m): 2:17pm On May 12, 2013
dkgetmuny: Naso we be ooo gboyega..we can 'prouding' lol....i passed the town on a road trip from richmond virginia to Indiana....

Omo Awo, won o le ka e mo kona abi. Anyways, enjoy your study when you get here but abeg, before you come, go enjoy some moments for Ife again oooo. It is always a good place to be and I can't wait to go to Ife once I enter.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by technolee(m): 4:33pm On May 12, 2013
My people in the house, please, I need an urgent response to this; If I manage to pay my SEVIS fee at cotonou, how am mine going to get the receipt mailed to me? I need to know because a visa interview has been scheduled for June 12 and am yet to pay for SEVIS. "I am quoting a friend ni oooo' I don't want any arrest when it comes to my own question
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 12, 2013
@technoless, well, you do not have to worry. First of all, you make the payment, wait 2-3 working days for processing and then go to their website and print out your receipt. Good luck in your interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 12, 2013
@Sikons, it's absolutely not allowed. This is US Forum and not Canada.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by technolee(m): 6:55pm On May 12, 2013
De Tus: @technoless, well, you do not have to worry. First of all, you make the payment, wait 2-3 working days for processing and then go to their website and print out your receipt. Good luck in your interview.
Thank you very much for your swift response. Please, like how much should I arrange for not minding how I get to cotonou?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by stabbo: 7:10pm On May 12, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Send an email to selfstudy360@gmail.com and you'll get an immediate email response containing the download links for the GRE PDF books. Grubers, Barrons, Cracking the New GRE, GMAT etc are all included. You make your choice.

I urge you to drop your visa interview experience to enable us review your performance and advice you for a better one next time.

Thanks for the GRE link francis, my interview on May 8 went thus:

V.O: Gd afternoon, Me; Gd afternoon...I handed her my documents

V.O: Why are you going to the US?
Me: To study for my masters
V.O: What school?
Me: Academy of art university

V.O: Whats your course?
Me: MFA in Web design and new media (V.O then checks my i-20 again, the course name on my i-20 is "Web page, digital multimedia and inform",but the course name at the school and on my acceptance letter is actually "Web design and new media". She tries to confirm the name of my course and I explain to her telling her the actual name of my course which I was accepted for. She then says ok and continues typing on her computer.)

V.O: How long do you intend staying in the US?
Me: I intend staying for 2 years (On my i-20 it says 4 years but Im sure I will complete my requirements within 2 years and I dont intend staying for longer)

V.O: When are you resuming classes? I told her precisely when (At this point she was putting the green pick up ticket in my passport, then she continues on her computer)

V.O: Whos paying for your trip?
Me: My Mom

V.O: What does she do?
Me: She imports heavy duty vehicle parts and computer accessories from the UK)...She types on her computer briefly

V.O: What have you been doing since you graduated?
Me: I have been working (I briefed her on my work history precisely since I graduated in 2010)

V.O: How much do you earn monthly?
Me: 150k basic plus add ons amounting to about 190k (she then continues her typing for a bit and then says, "Im sorry but unfortunately I cannot grant you a visa at this time, Im very confused as I thought she was about to approve me and I then walk away dejected).

The interview was quite brief and I answered her questions as accurately and sincerely as I could,she didnt ask to see any documents and I got the feeling she wanted to approve my visa from her first impression. Please explain where I could've gone wrong and recommend correction tips for my next interview. Thanks a million.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by midi20: 7:59pm On May 12, 2013
MAYBE u were too detailed for her to believe
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by stabbo: 8:21pm On May 12, 2013
midi20: MAYBE u were too detailed for her to believe

Nah man I think its the schools reputation, I'm not too sure and I'm open to advice though
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 8:58pm On May 12, 2013
Sorry brov, my only advice for you is to reapply as soon as possible because the V.O doesnt really understand the status of ur admission {course} nd i can assure u she has nt come abt something lik dis b4

Concerning the refusal i can assure u trying to convince the V.O showing enough home ties dat u re nt a potential immigrant caused it all

Reapply as soon as possible just explain urself briefly

The visa is urs already

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Oluwawapelumee(f): 9:08pm On May 12, 2013
stabbo:

Me: MFA in Web design and new media (V.O then checks my i-20 again, the course name on my i-20 is "Web page, digital multimedia and inform",but the course name at the school and on my acceptance letter is actually "Web design and new media". She tries to confirm the name of my course and I explain to her telling her the actual name of my course which I was accepted for. She then says ok and continues typing on her computer.)

Me: I intend staying for 2 years (On my i-20 it says 4 years but Im sure I will complete my requirements within 2 years and I dont intend staying for longer)

V.O: When are you resuming classes? I told her precisely when (At this point she was putting the green pick up ticket in my passport, then she continues on her computer)

Me: She imports heavy duty vehicle parts and computer accessories from the UK)...She types on her computer briefly

Me: I have been working (I briefed her on my work history precisely since I graduated in 2010)

Me: 150k basic plus add ons amounting to about 190k (she then continues her typing for a bit and then says, "Im sorry but unfortunately I cannot grant you a visa at this time, Im very confused as I thought she was about to approve me and I then walk away dejected).

The interview was quite brief and I answered her questions as accurately and sincerely as I could,she didnt ask to see any documents and I got the feeling she wanted to approve my visa from her first impression. Please explain where I could've gone wrong and recommend correction tips for my next interview. Thanks a million.

Would like to know if your present job description is in anyway related to the course you were admitted for. Just thinking that could have been an issue since you briefed her about your work history. Am sure the next time you'll go, you wont be denied. We will all share our success stories soon by God's Grace.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by stabbo: 10:37pm On May 12, 2013
Oluwawapelumee:

Would like to know if your present job description is in anyway related to the course you were admitted for. Just thinking that could have been an issue since you briefed her about your work history. Am sure the next time you'll go, you wont be denied. We will all share our success stories soon by God's Grace.

Amen to your prayers, my job is web/systems administration and I hold a comp science Bsc so it totally relates to my course, that's why I suspect its the school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 11:34pm On May 12, 2013
stabbo:

Amen to your prayers, my job is web/systems administration and I hold a comp science Bsc so it totally relates to my course, that's why I suspect its the school.

i think you over shoot your monthly earnings compare with the nature of job you said you do. without further details. If a system administrator could earn such money she feels there is no need of you to travel. abi house? Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by virginice: 11:54pm On May 12, 2013
embarassed Am sorry to hear dis buh der has to b som fishy lies bfor d VO changed her mind (no insult intended pls)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by stabbo: 12:06am On May 13, 2013
Kunsoft:

i think you over shoot your monthly earnings compare with the nature of job you said you do. without further details. If a system administrator could earn such money she feels there is no need of you to travel. abi house? Thanks

Overshoot? There are web administrators and developers that earn up to 350k monthly so I don't know what you're talking about, secondly will a V.O have an exact idea of how much a web admin earns per month in 9ja? I never knew a person earning 180-190k was considered too comfortable to travel abroad for studies.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by stabbo: 12:09am On May 13, 2013
virgin ice: embarassed Am sorry to hear dis buh der has to b som fishy lies bfor d VO changed her mind (no insult intended pls)

No insult taken, but what sort of fishy lies? Why would I want to lie?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Square65: 3:50am On May 13, 2013
Kunsoft:

I strongly disagree sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Puvguy: 5:34am On May 13, 2013
@Stabbo disregard some the sly comments here. I think you should re-apply, and this time state what's on your I20, don't try too hard to impress. Be yourself and the visa will be yours. Good luck!!!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Allohrandy(m): 6:07am On May 13, 2013
stabbo:

stabbo:

Nah man I think its the schools reputation, I'm not too sure and I'm open to advice though
I am sorry for your visa denial. I live in the San Francisco bay area and I have been to the Academy Art university campus in Powell street, San Francisco a couple times. I used to live close to the AAU campus in San Francisco. it is one of the largest art school in the States and also one of the best art school in US(you can verify AAU reputation on Google). In-fact, AAU has the largest art museum in California. I have a very good Ghanaian friend in that school and AAU is a pretty damn expensive school. I think you should reapply again. Make sure you are confident and your answers to the VO questions must always be consistent with what is stated in your I-20..Good luck!!!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 7:56am On May 13, 2013
stabbo:

Your interview generally was a good one. However, I can pinpoint out two flaws which I think led the VO to deny you.
1) Discrepancy in your proposed course of study: the inconsistency in your spoken versus the written course of study may have impressed on the VO that you don't know your actual proposed course of study, which in turn tells her the student is unserious.
2) Your current job which is IT, is quite unrelated to your proposed course of study. I may be wrong but, your school name says Academy of Art University, which implies that the school is an arts specialty university. Meaning that the arts courses being offered relates in no way to IT, which is of the science cadre.

No, I don't think your high salary income affected your chances. Rather it would help to boost your chances because since you have a high-paying job it indicates you may not willing to abandon it, and hence indicating strong home ties.

I feel your problem was not being able to articulate the connexion between your current job and your proposed course of study when asked. I remember you stating that you explained in details the nature of your job which is IT. Maybe your course is science related, I don't know. But the university name indicates its an arts school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by olsmade(m): 8:07am On May 13, 2013
Kunsoft:

Nothing could be farther from the truth. There are consultant doctors earning well over 500 that still go abroad for MPH or MBA or masters in health administration so it ain't bout his salary - dat I'm sure of. You make it sound like he's earning 190 million a year.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by stabbo: 8:19am On May 13, 2013
Puvguy: @Stabbo disregard some the sly comments here. I think you should re-apply, and this time state what's on your I20, don't try too hard to impress. Be yourself and the visa will yours. Good luck!!!

Thanks a lot for the good advice, I already booked another appointment in Abuja this time cos there are no free dates in Lagos for the next 3 months or so. Plane ticket prices to Abj have shot up a bit so I don't want to waste funds on that + hotel charges and still end up not getting approved. I want to tie up all loose ends and leave no room for error this time around. I was thinking of starting again with another school from scratch but your comments have "gingered" me, so I'm heading to Abj later this month. God bless y'all
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by stabbo: 9:28am On May 13, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Your interview generally was a good one. However, I can pinpoint out two flaws which I think led the VO to deny you.
1) Discrepancy in your proposed course of study: the inconsistency in your spoken versus the written course of study may have impressed on the VO that you don't know your actual proposed course of study, which in turn tells her the student is unserious.
2) Your current job which is IT, is quite unrelated to your proposed course of study. I may be wrong but, your school name says Academy of Art University, which implies that the school is an arts specialty university. Meaning that the arts courses being offered relates in no way to IT, which is of the science cadre.

No, I don't think your high salary income affected your chances. Rather it would help to boost your chances because since you have a high-paying job it indicates you may not willing to abandon it, and hence indicating strong home ties.

I feel your problem was not being able to articulate the connexion between your current job and your proposed course of study when asked. I remember you stating that you explained in details the nature of your job which is IT. Maybe your course is science related, I don't know. But the university name indicates its an arts school.

Thanks for your analysis Francis, I agree with the first point you noted. Even though I told her the actual name of the course which is "web design and new media", it differed a bit from what was actually written on my i-20 which is "web page, digital multimedia and inform"...she being a novice might think I don't even know the course I'm going to study, that was the only awkward part of my interview. Next time I'll just state what is on the i-20.

As for your second point, web design is an Art within the science of IT, so its not out place for me to study web design in an art school. The school offers programming and content management systems courses too. However the V.O might not know this since she might be a novice in this field. If she had asked I would've explained the correlation between my job and course of study but there was no room for me to answer a question that I wasn't asked. Maybe next time I'll try to include that explanation when I'm asked a question. So you don't think the schools rep might be a problem like VIU etc?

PS:My job aint high paying at all oh, my bro earns abt 550k monthly working for oando so my salary na still chicken change. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by gr8ever(m): 10:44am On May 13, 2013
stabbo:

Thanks a lot for the good advice, I already booked another appointment in Abuja this time cos there are no free dates in Lagos for the next 3 months or so. Plane ticket prices to Abj have shot up a bit so I don't want to waste funds on that + hotel charges and still end up not getting approved. I want to tie up all loose ends and leave no room for error this time around. I was thinking of starting again with another school from scratch but your comments have "gingered" me, so I'm heading to Abj later this month. God bless y'all

Bro, your interview is a good one it's just that you're not so lucky(no offence). Its not about your school, some pple are not expressive as you're and they are giving visa. I'll advice you re-book your appointment again, pray and fast and God favour will be with you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Square65: 12:43pm On May 13, 2013
Stabbo, I'm finding it difficult to find what to fix in your next interview, although it seems there was some kind of misunderstanding from the VO's side.

Like someone said, may be it's just pure luck. I wish you a very much better one next time by when I'm sure you would get it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (63) (64) (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.