Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,326 members, 7,815,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? (16833 Views)

What A Husband Needs From A Wife Is Never Sex / Eniola Kashaam: They Said I Was Too Fat To Find A Husband But I Got The Best / Angry Wife Exposes Chat Messages Between Her Husband And Other Women!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Akolawole(m): 2:19am On Jan 02, 2006
I will never do it, i don't want woman to "cage" me on my spendings.  I will take care of the home but i spend my money with freedom. WE ALL KNOW WOMEN NOW
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Horseman(m): 1:30pm On Jan 04, 2006
Anywhere it's not that way, there is some level of disharmony. If you've really hooked up to the right person, it should noy be a problem. But, guys the day your partner finds out (if you're cheating) an anomally, such a sensitive and bonding move goes under water.
Husbands and wives, good luck.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by viviansam(f): 1:40pm On Jan 12, 2006
If any of them can sign, who holds the chequebook? if both of them are signatories. its better in my opinion. It will help the couple to openly manage their finances.But I think each person should still have a personal account aside the joint one. I also agree with the opinion of a certain % of both partners income be set aside for the joint account.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by akinzo(m): 4:39pm On Jan 12, 2006
I really dont support the idea of couples keeping joint account. Take for example, if the husband is from an extended family and needs to meet their need often. This might cause misunderstanding between them and might later lead to the break of the marriage. It might also lead to both couples not trusting each other.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by flavorflav(f): 5:39pm On Jan 12, 2006
It is okay to have one account for all necessary bills, but also have a seperate account for personal use.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Swish(m): 9:46pm On Jan 24, 2006
@ flavorflav
i'm with u on that. Separate personal accounts and another for necessary bills.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by ABIMBOLA77(f): 6:32pm On Jan 30, 2006
BEAAAAAAAAANNSSSSSSSSSS? joint account ko, joint account ni.. although i wont mind if my mr puts me as a signatory to his account.. money talks!!
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Swish(m): 8:33pm On Jan 30, 2006
ABIMBOLA77:

BEAAAAAAAAANNSSSSSSSSSS? joint account ko, joint account ni.. although i wont mind if my mr puts me as a signatory to his account.. money talks!!

U must like awoof.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by ABIMBOLA77(f): 8:40pm On Jan 30, 2006
see ya nose.. u no like awoooffffffff?smiley
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by nubian(m): 7:25pm On Mar 14, 2006
This is a question as complex as trying to figure out if the marriage of all Nigerias ethnic groups into one entity called NIGERIA is not a bad marriage.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by mamaput(f): 7:34pm On Mar 14, 2006
I say say even if only out of security reasons.
God forbid if something happens to the man ,the way family will run to make their claim.
When I was in Nigeria, my mum always gave me a blank check when she and my father travelled just in case:::
With the instruction to withdraw every thing if any thing happened and fast.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by otokx(m): 12:45pm On Mar 18, 2006
if they believe in it then they can go ahead.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Rosby(m): 1:27pm On Mar 29, 2006
I think it is right to have a joint account with your husband for the up-keep of the home on the following conditions:

1. An agreed percentage of our monthly salary will go to the joint account.

2. We will operate our different accounts apart from the joint account.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Consultant(f): 9:24pm On Mar 29, 2006
I know i've mentioned this before on another thread but i will rehash here. This is what my husband and I practice (and what i believe is ideal). Both our incomes goes into a joint account. We both get a pre-agreed amount for personal expenses - it's not a lot, just for things you don't necessarily want your spouse to know about - like if you want to buy him/her a present, or for day-to-day expenses. This "pocket money" goes into our personal accounts. We also have joint savings and investment accounts. ALL spending decisions are made together. It doesn't feel onerous because we talk all the time and ask for each other's opinions on virtually everything.

For me that is the ideal. In this present day, i don't see how it is possible for the husband's relative to have access to a couple's joint account without the woman's permission except through fraud and if you both have a will, it should cover the other person in the event of one's demise. As for the issue of trust, i daresay if you don't trust each other enough to share an account, you have no business being married to each other. In Seun's words, that's characteristic of a dysfunctional family.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Idekeson(m): 9:26pm On Mar 29, 2006
I'll take a pass. I hate to gamble with my finances. Females, You never know. cool
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Desertbomb: 10:35pm On Mar 29, 2006
4me it's necessary 4 de sake of life & death these days banks inherit bombed men & women account unnecessarily.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by babymine(f): 2:32pm On Mar 31, 2006
Not a very good idea.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Bright2(m): 4:32pm On Mar 31, 2006
big yes i support joint acc.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by eveseh(f): 8:25pm On Apr 27, 2006
maybe undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by LadyB(f): 2:39pm On May 22, 2006
married couples should share a joint account. and at the same time there is nothing stoping them to operate their own personalised account.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by lunafish(f): 5:57pm On May 22, 2006
Helll to the nahhhhhhhhh
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by omogenaija(f): 4:24am On Aug 21, 2006
yea i think a married couple should have a joint account,

but as for me i will always have an extra account just incase things go wrong i wont be broke
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Seun(m): 11:36am On Aug 21, 2006
50% of ym income might go into the joint account, while 50% will go into my personal account. The joint account money won't be touched without mutual agreement, but the other 50% will be mine, mine, all mine!!
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by mamaput(f): 12:18pm On Aug 21, 2006
That 50 50 is just the best. And from the joint account , things like houserent school fees can be paid.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by nikinash(f): 12:23pm On Aug 21, 2006
Consultant:

I know i've mentioned this before on another thread but i will rehash here. This is what my husband and I practice (and what i believe is ideal). Both our incomes goes into a joint account. We both get a pre-agreed amount for personal expenses - it's not a lot, just for things you don't necessarily want your spouse to know about - like if you want to buy him/her a present, or for day-to-day expenses. This "pocket money" goes into our personal accounts. We also have joint savings and investment accounts. ALL spending decisions are made together. It doesn't feel onerous because we talk all the time and ask for each other's opinions on virtually everything.

For me that is the ideal. In this present day, i don't see how it is possible for the husband's relative to have access to a couple's joint account without the woman's permission except through fraud and if you both have a will, it should cover the other person in the event of one's demise. As for the issue of trust, i daresay if you don't trust each other enough to share an account, you have no business being married to each other. In Seun's words, that's characteristic of a dysfunctional family.

very correct. i imagine a lot of the fuss over this thing is coming from unmarried people. if you are unable to trust your spouse with something as mundane as money, then you really should not be married.

i have a sharing arrangement with my husband where we out in a particular amount (equal amount) in our joint account and this we invest in different projects from putting in the stock market to our capital projects, we have done this over the years, it has worked beautifully and has helped me to learnt to save more.

this does not stop my husband from giving me money when i truly need it.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by jaydifox(m): 3:00pm On Sep 02, 2006
Joint account ke, olorun maje
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by ladykool(f): 7:39pm On Sep 23, 2006
NO WAY!! then de hus start taking the money without ur absence and who knows u will be de only person putting the money while he will be saving his and using ur to chase girls or buying drinks. i cant.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by mekoyo(m): 2:05pm On Feb 09, 2007
Yes they should. They can opearte a joint account.
It helps some various needs in the family and also brings the trust between them.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by mekoyo(m): 2:11pm On Feb 09, 2007
I will never do it, i don't want woman to "cage" me on my spendings. I will take care of the home but i spend my money with freedom. WE ALL KNOW WOMEN NOW

What kind of husband will you end up becoming with this kind of attitude?

WE ALL KNOW WOMEN NOW

Noooooooo, not all of us

50% of ym income might go into the joint account, while 50% will go into my personal account. The joint account money won't be touched without mutual agreement, but the other 50% will be mine, mine, all mine!!

You are right Seun. I'll go with you on that.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by frankiriri(m): 8:48pm On Feb 12, 2007
I beleive in joint project accounts and individual accounts for our eveyday needs.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by DoubleN(m): 8:34am On May 17, 2007
Try it if dare!!!!!!!!!!!My fellow men in no way should u open a joint account with your wife unless you have another account somewhere or else women for being who they are will drive you nuts.Woman have the tendency to buy what they want not what they need(Awon Aso oke,Gele and the rest of them)and they can be so money conscious.Abeg no try am.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by ne4real(f): 9:06am On May 17, 2007
it's a risky idea for both parties, unless they have a family project they want to accomplish together, if not, i'll say they operate seperate individual acounts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pls Has Anyone Used Dove Bar Soap Before? / There Are Still Good days in Marriage. / Separation From A Rich And Violent Spouse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.