Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,474 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:40 AM

Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? (16839 Views)

What A Husband Needs From A Wife Is Never Sex / Eniola Kashaam: They Said I Was Too Fat To Find A Husband But I Got The Best / Angry Wife Exposes Chat Messages Between Her Husband And Other Women!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by akumbu: 4:22pm On Aug 28, 2007
Yes wld like to have joint account with my husband, but he puts all the money and both of us will be signatories to the account. No problem eeeh.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by ClimieNH89: 4:51pm On Aug 28, 2007
Well you can have your personal account and still have a joint account.

Like at the end of the month you both put a tot amount of money to run the home while you keep the rest for your needs!
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by ssRhino: 6:54pm On Aug 28, 2007
akunbu, and what happen to your own pay check, keep it for ya self and spend alone and the be lone signatory, u be real thief, barawo
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Seun(m): 7:00pm On Aug 28, 2007
I think it's best you both divide your salaries into two and contribute 50% or so to the joint account.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by ssRhino: 1:50am On Aug 29, 2007
warfarian, i think we are all looking at this realy wrong, no home is perfect and no home is bad, however, i think we all ave some animals in us and when that animal want to get fed, they come out and asked for food, and every human is alowed few minutes of madness in a day, Now let me give you a scenerio.

A ghanian man in canada married a nigerian woman, wonderful couple, the man has a bad credit and the woman has a good one, so they bought a house with the man's money ofcourse, because they woman don't work, she is a stay home Mom, don't get me wrong, staying home with kids is a full time Job and kudos to them mothers like that, however, after few years, things turn sour as the man had an accident at work and couldnt work for a while, he is on disabilities, however, that can't pay for the expensese of the home and still take care of the 2 kids they have ( 1 boy together, the other from the previous relationship of the nija woman), now the woman is forced to go and work, the stress and the frustration, one day made the woman to say " you foolish Ghana Man, i am done, she left the house and came back with 5 police men that she is not safe in the home with the man, so the man was sent out of the house, meanwhile remember that the woman's name is what is on the house as the owner, the guy left to stay with friends and came home one day to get some stuff n da home, the woman has packed all in the house, i mean all, and now she is being sturborn as to selling the house, because she is claiming to be the owner.

The man keep his kool and so calm, because he blves that as long as the kids are living in the house, he is satisfied, it is not an easy conclusion, but sometimes, we ave to learn to look at things from a long term angle anf not just about what we can gain as individual.

Se O.J. Simpson, i am sure things would have been different, if he let go

When marriage is sweet, let us enjoy it, and when it turns sour, let us learn from it and be a better person

Na wetin i sabi, I am just Rhino
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by April22(f): 2:31am On Aug 29, 2007
now the woman is forced to go and work, the stress and the frustration, one day made the woman to say " you foolish Ghana Man, i am done, she left the house and came back with 5 police men that she is not safe in the home with the man, so the man was sent out of the house, meanwhile remember that the woman's name is what is on the house as the owner, the guy left to stay with friends and came home one day to get some stuff n da home, the woman has packed all in the house, i mean all, and now she is being sturborn as to selling the house, because she is claiming to be the owner.

Sounds like something's missing to that story.

By the way, since they bought the house while they were married and he was at the time the provider, he probably has a good chance of getting some share--if not 50% of the house. He needs to get a good lawyer.

Anyway, as far as my beliefs on joint accounts. I think having a joint account encourages accountability for couples. Someone on here said it can prevent affairs. I don't think having a joint account can prevent an affair from occuring, but it can make it very hard for the husband to support a mistress financially. I favor either having a joint account together or for the couple to have a joint account and separate accounts. Having a joint account also encourages each partner to spend money responsibily or face having to discuss that with their spouse. It's healthy anyway for couples to discuss major purchases with each other. Having a joint account can allow them to pool their resources together for retirement, savings, children's college, etc.

[quote][/quote]
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by ssRhino: 11:51am On Aug 29, 2007
April, in marriage, anything that the family buy or own during the union, at split it is 50:50 share, however, when kids are involved, the man wll have to think hard, u dont wanna have ur kids to go and be living in some shabby environs all cos of ur beef with their mother, remember the good deeds of a man is written on sand and get washed away bu the tides, however, any bad that a man does is written on stone, for life
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by babysexy: 1:37pm On Aug 29, 2007
No matter the love,i will never operate a joint account with my husband.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by BABEELOVE(f): 2:41am On Aug 30, 2007
Hell no! I believe in separate but equal! Get and keep your own shit----always! Love has nothing to do with the price of rice in China!!!!! cheesy
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by seun001(m): 6:47am On Aug 30, 2007
babysexy:

No matter the love,i will never operate a joint account with my husband.

wow!

BABEELOVE:

Hell no! I believe in separate but equal! Get and keep your own shit----always! Love has nothing to do with the price of rice in China!!!!! cheesy

wow!
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Oracle(m): 12:28pm On Aug 30, 2007
I would advise couples never to make that mistake.
Thatz one reason why many couples break up.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by jided: 6:24pm On Nov 05, 2007
well I think Having a joint purse maybe better than having a joint account
here both keep separate accounts but have a common purse or pocket at home.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Pappyjesby(m): 1:57am On Nov 14, 2007
It all depends on their understanding and personal beliefs. I would suggest that both should have a joint account and at the same time maintain other accounts. If you really love your wife you will find it easy to run the same account together but based on mutual understanding.
On the other hand, if you as a woman really love your husband you will not be wasteful in spending your financial resources on baseless, profitless and mundane things, rather there would be mutual agreement as per how much
goes into the account and how much comes out of the same.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by seun001(m): 6:54am On Nov 14, 2007
Pappyjesby:

On the other hand, if you as a woman really love your husband you will not be wasteful in spending your financial resources on baseless, profitless and mundane things, rather there would be mutual agreement as per how much
goes into the account and how much comes out of the same.

it's natural for women to spend like that.it aint based on love or woteva.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by sealed(m): 6:14pm On Nov 14, 2007
Before you have a seperate account with your spouse, think on these things?

1> The two shall become one.
2> Can two work together unless they be in unity?
3> Is there trust and sincerity in the relationsip?
4> Do you have a different financial goal from your spouse?
5> Are you discussing differences and reaching a compromise, without jeopardizing your love and trust for your partner?
6> How significant is extended family members influence in your home? and specifically on your finances??
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by Challotti: 4:01am On Jan 29, 2013
Tufiakwa. . .
Not with a Nigerian man o!
Unless when I am 70! grin
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by ebpius1(m): 2:18am On Jun 25, 2013
Eresi: No, it's not very good for a husband and a wife to operate a joint account, even though it depends on the parties involved.

I would have this to say: "The husband is the head of the family and should truly be head to everything, including finanancial spending" so why must he be interested in the wife's money.

The woman should be allowed to use her money as it pleases her and the husband's own must be for the family's upkeep.

Death is inevitable and so what might happen after one partner dies should be considered, so that accounts should be operated separately.
. This sounds like a perfect description of self centered-ness/greed on d woman's part. Why did God call wives help mate...some women are just too greedy or let me say self centered to be called a wife...TUFIAKWA...God forbid I marry ur type.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by CHIMSKY(m): 7:49am On Jul 06, 2013
monister:

what's wrong with the first?

monister
All of you talking have obviously never gone through the process of trying to access the bank account of a next of kin.Lost my sister recently and have spent so much trying to access her accounts.Even if a couple operate separate accounts,please disclose the account details to each other.
I cant tell couples what kind of account to operate,but I think that u should operate a joint account which u will use to sponsor futuristic projects(investments,childrens education, etc) that will benefit the whole family.
Re: Should A Husband And Wife Operate A Joint Account? by joeybankz: 7:55am On Sep 23, 2020
What Is Joint Account - The best casual explanation to the meaning is a situation where there are two or more people who may decide to open an account to be jointly operated by them.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

There Are Still Good days in Marriage. / The Other Side Of The “story From The Grave” Ogochukwu Cecilia Onuchukwu Rip - T / Separation From A Rich And Violent Spouse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.