Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,807 members, 7,844,614 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? - Romance (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? (24631 Views)

Poll: Would You Terminate A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences?

Yes: 54% (60 votes)
No: 45% (50 votes)
This poll has ended

If You Propose And She Says 'No', Is The Relationship Over? / Relationship Over!!!!!!! / We Agreed To End A 3 Years Relationship Due To Religious Differences. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by 4Him(m): 8:27pm On Mar 28, 2008
Busta:

I honestly thot u made sense before but now I know your brain don't seems to be functioning properly.
So quick to conclude and think u know better.

and u say u ain't judging . . . .

as for the cross, That was nothing but an adduce.

Who really cares? I'd rather judge than insult others who dont agree with my point of view like a spoilt child.

ifyalways:

@topic  . . .YES and a resounding YES
a house divided esp in religious issues cannot stand.

Pls tell your blind sisters.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Chacal: 8:27pm On Mar 28, 2008
4Him:

That is the advantage men have, which is the reason most of the males here don't really care about this issue.
It is also one of the reason i'm not so bothered too. I have a choice to choose who i will marry, what my kids will grow up to be . . . women sadly don't have so much room to manouvre . . . which is why i wonder why so many of them are willing to jump naively into such an important project as marriage.

Fair enough!!!!!

Lets face it. . . . . Only a dumb woman will enter into a beautiful relationship knowing fully well Religion issues might undo her later.
It's always better to spell the terms before entering any relationship. . .Is it going to be a long-term or a dead end relationship.
A girl from a strict moslem background should not even date a Christian because she knows it might become a problem later.
Like i've said earlier, this is not a big issue at all!!!!!
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by 4Him(m): 8:28pm On Mar 28, 2008
Sweet T:

can we all just get along??

We cant even get along with a simple discourse and so many people with their heads in the clouds think they can marry someone with starkly different religious beliefs and "get along"?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by danity: 8:28pm On Mar 28, 2008
@ Topic - YES YES YES. I wouldn't even date him if i could.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Mar 28, 2008
Chacal:

Fair enough!!!!!

Lets face it. . . . . Only a dumb woman will enter into a beautiful relationship knowing fully well Religion issues might undo her later.
It's always better to spell the terms before entering any relationship. . .Is it going to be a long-term or a dead end relationship.
A girl from a strict moslem background should not even date a Christian because she knows it might become a problem later.
Like i've said earlier, this is not a big issue at all!!!!!

For once I agree with you
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Chacal: 8:33pm On Mar 28, 2008
danity:

@ Topic - YES YES YES. I wouldn't even date him if i could.

I have told u many times u are smarter than your age.
A lot of relationships crumble because the people involved see the truth and they completely ignore it.
They go with the stupid assumption that things might change later and that is a huge risk for anyone to take. . .
Don't even smell what u cannot taste. . . . It's the law of PHYSICS. grin cheesy
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by 4Him(m): 8:36pm On Mar 28, 2008
Chacal:

A lot of relationships crumble because the people involved see the truth and they completely ignore it.
They go with the stupid assumption that things might change later and that is a huge risk for anyone to take. . .
Don't even smell what u cannot taste. . . . It's the law of PHYSICS. grin cheesy

I don't like you a lot of the time, but u're making plenty of sense at the moment.

I'm perplexed when i see otherwise reasonable adults base their concept of a lifetime of commitment on a few hours of a "soooo beautiful" wedding.

We read cases of honor killings in the UK and recently in the US, we read cases of men (especially those of middle eastern heritage married to white women) forcing their daughters into arranged marriages . . . they all started with marriages were the pastor and imam ate and laughed together.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by delegiwa(m): 8:38pm On Mar 28, 2008
As far as I'm concerned, it is a non-issue.  If I see a woman I will marry and she happens to be of a different religion, NO WAHALA.  Do your thing and I do mine and I know it will work if we decide not to let a third party into it.

The children will decide when they grow up.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by danity: 8:39pm On Mar 28, 2008
Chacal:

LOL!
Abi oooo!
I mean religion cuts deep into every thing we do.
Even if the guy/girl changes to his/her spouse's religion.
It's a big chance that they do it just to get the girl.
After marriage the guy can vex and change back to his true religion.
What happens then?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Sisikill: 8:42pm On Mar 28, 2008
Busta:

one word: "Ignorance"
you don't have to agree with me and I don't have to agree with ya

Like I always end my postings. . . .every man to each his own.
at the end of the day, You will have to carry your own darn Cross and I'll carry mine.

Truer words have never been spoken. Honestly, what happened to live and let's live?

Back to the Topic. . . [size=14pt]NO I WILL NOT END A RELATIONSHIP OVER RELIGIOUS DIFFERENCES. NO SIREEE BOB!!!  grin[/size]
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by SweetT1: 8:43pm On Mar 28, 2008
You make a joke about The Great Prophet they blow you up, You don't make a joke about The Great Prophet they still blow you up anyways. And when you have a discussion about Christianity with them, they bring Bin Laden to town to blow the whole place up. Would you guys just lighten up a little' and eat you a Lil' P ussy please or eat some d amn pork ! grin grin
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Sisikill: 8:48pm On Mar 28, 2008
Hey, Seun. . .I demand a recount! I think that poll is rigged, rigged I tells ya! tongue
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by 4Him(m): 8:54pm On Mar 28, 2008
Sisikill:

Hey, Seun. . .I demand a recount! I think that poll is rigged, rigged I tells ya! tongue

the poll isnt statistically significant just yet. tongue
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Sisikill: 8:55pm On Mar 28, 2008
4Him:

I'm perplexed when i see otherwise reasonable adults base their concept of a lifetime of commitment on a few hours of a "soooo beautiful" wedding.

Oh come on! Stop trying to reduce the issue to that. if it was that simple. . .we won't be here now, would we?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Sisikill: 9:00pm On Mar 28, 2008
4Him:

the poll isnt statistically significant just yet. tongue

Whew! So. . .ehn. . .when does it become significant? I need to know so I can figure out how to start posting from multiple computers. Oh Snap. . .did I say that out loud?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Chacal: 9:01pm On Mar 28, 2008
@ Stillwater,

For once?
Ohhhhhhhhh, just because i asked u to shave your head?
You can't be serious.

4Him:

I don't like you a lot of the time, but u're making plenty of sense at the moment.

The feeling is PERFECTLY MUTUAL. wink wink
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Mar 28, 2008
Chacal:

@ Stillwater,

For once?
Ohhhhhhhhh, just because i asked u to shave your head?
You can't be serious.

Pleaaaseeee, get over the head thing *rolls eyes*
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Cassiel(f): 9:11pm On Mar 28, 2008
Things are different for men and women.For a man,he can go on with a woman from a different religion because in the end,if they get married,she's going to drop her religion and accept his.No two-ways about it.Same goes for his kids.They will follow his religion.
But for us women,its a different matter.Because of the male-dominance factor in serious relationships,its best for a woman to be with a man whose religion she agrees with.This talk of him changing after marriage is rubbish,i tell you.If a girl thinks after marriage she will pray and fast and get her pastor or imam to change him,she's building castles in the air.It won't happen.
So girls,no matter how handsome that relationship is,if he is not of the same religion as you,end it o.Unless you're willing to change to his religion.That's just how it is.Better safe than sorry.
Guys,hmm. undecided Whatever you want.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by damola1: 9:55pm On Mar 28, 2008
For example, I never touched a woman while I was a moslem

and you think hindus and christianity condones adultery and fornication? 1 Corinthians 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Quote from: damola1 on Today at 07:20:47 PM
and largely because the moslem religion does not tolerate thievery thats why I am not a yahoo boy.

There are no yahoo yahoo boys in Japan . . . is it largely because of Is'lam?
Did your christian background encourage thievery?

Quote from: damola1 on Today at 07:20:47 PM
You don't know the moslem religion, please be careful how you express yourself about it, and on top of this,  don't forget many of us young chaps are mere casual xtians and moslems, so we don't really know anything in fact!,  only what they say.

Neither do you understand christianity.

YOu missed the point sir.

Things are different for men and women.For a man,he can go on with a woman from a different religion because in the end,if they get married,she's going to drop her religion and accept his.No two-ways about it.Same goes for his kids.They will follow his religion.
But for us women,its a different matter.Because of the male-dominance factor in serious relationships,its best for a woman to be with a man whose religion she agrees with.This talk of him changing after marriage is rubbish,i tell you.If a girl thinks after marriage she will pray and fast and get her pastor or imam to change him,she's building castles in the air.It won't happen.
So girls,no matter how handsome that relationship is,if he is not of the same religion as you,end it o.Unless you're willing to change to his religion.That's just how it is.Better safe than sorry.
Guys,hmm.  Whatever you want.

Not True. in fact, in my case my mother is a xtian, and I am also, and so is my brother.  Please please please, stop this talk that someone is running your life, everyone knows a woman runs the family, she runs everything

2. You are correct that people cannot simply change when from childhood they have been made of a different composition, however, I am not talking about change here, I am talking about LOVE, and the fact that, in my parents case, it's seen them cross over: 25years and in my case, 8years. I am talking about the fact that, you shouldn't allow religion cloud your decisions about other people, I am saying, you cannot judge people because of their religious believes from a distant unless you know them. Never ever judge a book by its cover. 

I don't know how else to say this. However, I think it all boils down to perspective, and I will put my points in a simple brief.

1. Be open to people from other religions, not only to win them over to what you believe, but to share life together.

2. If you like someone from another religion, do not give into the idealogy that because of your different beliefs, it won't work and the reasons for that are as follows: 90% of people are xtians because their parents were, and 98% are moslems because their parents where, but God won't judge us because of our parents or say: you go to heaven, I know for sure God is more matured than we imagine, and he'll somewhat see how people decide on their choice of religion because of society, therefore, it's still an open discussion for people to choose their path. So, just maybe the person never really understood your beliefs. I stand to be corrected, however how many of you really know the 5 pillars of Islams or the 10 commandments of God as stated in the Quoran and the Bible, why?, why haven't you explored your research to this length, OH!!!, you think all those Billions of people taking the path of both beliefs are fools ehn?, so, pls be open,

3. If you like the person enough, date him/her, and see how it goes, during courtship, IF religion will be an issue, YOU will know. How?,  she'll just go to church too much or go to mosque too often, Don't outrightly allow this issue break you, if it'll, in time in fact, you will see that it'll surface, this thing about belief is no bigger an issue than promiscuity, or a lazy man who don't want to fend for his family, all of these are issues relating to relationships.

4. Finally, If you know she's the one, then do it!!!!, don't not be afraid what the "people " will say. Because the people won't be with you for the next 60-90years you will be together, will they?, they won't train your pickins for you, neither will they sleep in your bed, so make your own decisions for yourself, Reminds me: One time, when my girlfriend was acting funny, my girlfriend's mother say I should forgive her because of HER, I told her, MA I respect you, a great deal, but this decision is going to be mine to take whether to continue or NOT, why?, because in a few years time, you will be gone, therefore, if this problem is still there, your dead body won't manage it, I WILL BE THE ONE TO MANAGE IT!

The morale of it all is, don't judge people if you don't know them, do not generalise people, don't say all nigerians are scammers, don't say all moslems are bombers, don't say all warri people can kidnap, learn to appreciate people for who they are, and just maybe, that person you are searching for might be among them.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by kolaoloye(m): 10:00pm On Mar 28, 2008
NO,I won`t
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Imani(f): 10:00pm On Mar 28, 2008
4Him:

1. I don't like you a lot of the time, but u're making plenty of sense at the moment.

2. I'm perplexed when i see otherwise reasonable adults base their concept of a lifetime of commitment on a few hours of a "soooo beautiful" wedding.

3. We read cases of honor killings in the UK and recently in the US, we read cases of men (especially those of middle eastern heritage married to white women) forcing their daughters into arranged marriages . . . they all started with marriages were the pastor and imam ate and laughed together.

1. Classic 4Him, couldn't resist taking a swipe!!!

2. I will agree with you on this point. A wedding ceremony is merely an occasion or a single event. A marriage starts after all the festivities and cake eating/dancing are over. When a couple are together maybe 10 years and counting in todays climate of divorce, then they can have something to brag about.

3. Your example of honour killing is extreme. Honour killing is not limited to a girl simply refusing to marry the family approved "spouse" due to different culture or religion. It transcends that. Honour killing has also been known to occur due to clash of spouse on basis of class even within the boundaries of the same religion, or a lady seeking divorce from her husband both practicing same religion etc.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by 4Him(m): 10:01pm On Mar 28, 2008
damola1:

perhaps because there was none in the first place.

damola1:

Not True. in fact, in my case my mother is a xtian, and I am also, and so is my brother.  Please please please, stop this talk that someone is running your life, everyone knows a woman runs the family, she runs everything

Simply because that's the way it worked in your family? No sir, my father ruled my family.

damola1:

2. You are correct that people cannot simply change when from childhood they have been made of a different composition, however, I am not talking about change here, I am talking about LOVE, and the fact that, in my parents case, it's seen them cross over: 25years and in my case, 8years. I am talking about the fact that, you shouldn't allow religion cloud your decisions about other people, I am saying, you cannot judge people because of their religious believes from a distant unless you know them. Never ever judge a book by its cover.  

Never judge a population by one singular experience.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Imani(f): 10:05pm On Mar 28, 2008
@ JoshJosh, I have to agree with you. The religion board is something else shocked. I feel you. How people manage to argue over and over with each other is beyond me and sometimes you will think there is a prize awaiting the winner of the "debate"
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by 4Him(m): 10:07pm On Mar 28, 2008
Imani:

@ JoshJosh, I have to agree with you. The religion board is something else shocked. I feel you. How people manage to argue over and over with each other is beyond me and sometimes you will think there is a prize awaiting the winner of the "debate"

the winner gets a sweet.

Imani:

3. Your example of honour killing is extreme. Honour killing is not limited to a girl simply refusing to marry the family approved "spouse" due to different culture or religion. It transcends that. Honour killing has also been known to occur due to clash of spouse on basis of class even within the boundaries of the same religion, or a lady seeking divorce from her husband both practicing same religion etc.

I used an example that would be easily understood by the majority, it may be extreme but it still cuts to the heart of the matter.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by damola1: 10:15pm On Mar 28, 2008

perhaps because there was none in the first place.

Quote from: damola1 on Today at 09:55:43 PM
Not True. in fact, in my case my mother is a xtian, and I am also, and so is my brother. Please please please, stop this talk that someone is running your life, everyone knows a woman runs the family, she runs everything

Simply because that's the way it worked in your family? No sir, my father ruled my family.

The point was very simple: Islam instills discipline in people than christianity.

2. Whoever said my mother runs my family, don't be silly, its a joint venture where a woman manages the man, who thinks he's the smart one. You might not agree, however, I believe women run the family eventually, men only assume the figure face, but its just like saying: Dangote is a front for OBJ, if a woman understands his man very well, he knows how to manage him effectively to deliver the results she wants, in 90% of the cases.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by 4Him(m): 10:23pm On Mar 28, 2008
damola1:

The point was very simple: The Great Religion instills discipline in people than christianity.

You have eyes . . . you dont instill discipline by threatening others with death.
Your statement above is incredulous . . .

damola1:

2. Whoever said my mother runs my family, don't be silly, its a joint venture where a woman manages the man, who thinks he's the smart one. You might not agree, however, I believe women run the family eventually, men only assume the figure face, but its just like saying: Dangote is a front for OBJ, if a woman understands his man very well, he knows how to manage him effectively to deliver the results she wants, in 90% of the cases.

dont be silly, here is your own statement - [size=14pt]everyone knows a woman runs the family, she runs everything[/size]

Who's the silly one now?

You're speaking from both sides of the mouth - first you say women run the family, next you claim its a joint venture where the woman manages the man (in a joint venture?), within the same statement u contradict urself further by saying the woman EVENTUALLY runs the family. Which one did you mean to say?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Imani(f): 10:30pm On Mar 28, 2008
@4Him, just a theoretical question,

If everyone married within the boundaries of their religion, class, education, what do you envisage the world will be like?
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by damola1: 10:30pm On Mar 28, 2008
You have eyes . . . you don't instill discipline by threatening others with death.
Your statement above is incredulous . . .

Excuse me sir, who threatened you with death?, where did you learn it that disciplined is instilled thru threats of death?,

And about women vs men, if after all the grammar I don drop, you don't understand what I mean, na your wahala,

With regards to the topic in discussion, I will print it out again, my very own thoughts and advise for anyone in this situation:

1. Be open to people from other religions, not only to win them over to what you believe, but to share life together.

2. If you like someone from another religion, do not give into the idealogy that because of your different beliefs, it won't work and the reasons for that are as follows: 90% of people are xtians because their parents were, and 98% are moslems because their parents where, but God won't judge us because of our parents or say: you go to heaven, I know for sure God is more matured than we imagine, and he'll somewhat see how people decide on their choice of religion because of society, therefore, it's still an open discussion for people to choose their path. So, just maybe the person never really understood your beliefs. I stand to be corrected, however how many of you really know the 5 pillars of Islams or the 10 commandments of God as stated in the Quoran and the Bible, why?,  why haven't you explored your research to this length,  OH!!!,  you think all those Billions of people taking the path of both beliefs are fools ehn?,  so, please be open,

3. If you like the person enough, date him/her, and see how it goes, during courtship, IF religion will be an issue, YOU will know. How?,  she'll just go to church too much or go to mosque too often,  Don't outrightly allow this issue break you, if it'll, in time in fact, you will see that it'll surface, this thing about belief is no bigger an issue than promiscuity, or a lazy man who don't want to fend for his family, all of these are issues relating to relationships.

4. Finally, If you know she's the one, then do it!!!!,  don't not be afraid what the "people " will say. Because the people won't be with you for the next 60-90years you will be together,  will they?,  they won't train your pickins for you, neither will they sleep in your bed,  so make your own decisions for yourself, Reminds me: One time, when my girlfriend was acting funny, my girlfriend's mother say I should forgive her because of HER, I told her, MA I respect you, a great deal, but this decision is going to be mine to take whether to continue or NOT,  why?,  because in a few years time, you will be gone, therefore, if this problem is still there, your dead body won't manage it,  I WILL BE THE ONE TO MANAGE IT!

The morale of it all is, don't judge people if you don't know them, do not generalise people, don't say all nigerians are scammers, don't say all moslems are bombers, don't say all warri people can kidnap, learn to appreciate people for who they are, and just maybe, that person you are searching for might be among them.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by almondjoy(f): 10:33pm On Mar 28, 2008

aisha2 (f)
Old trafford, cheering my Champions to Victory

Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences?
« #23 on: Today at 03:43:21 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I left a very good man, one of the best men to ever walk this earth because of religious differences. My dear, if you ask for my oppinoin now, i will say religion is all politics. I have now refused to believe any person or instruction that says i have to hate someone else because he does not have the same believe as i.
Religion instead of being an instrument of love and peace has turned to be a grooming institution for hate, segregation, and oppression. I want to believe we are all created in Gods image and he loves us all, I[b] will not beleive any religion that makes me think contrary [/b]

[size=20pt]HELLO MOTTO!!!!!!! [/size]

Your post is the only one worth reading for now! Good job! kiss

Why anyone would want to believe in ANY religion still eludes ma rational or irrational mind even in ma subconscious!

Twa!
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by 4Him(m): 10:39pm On Mar 28, 2008
Imani:

@4Him, just a theoretical question,

If everyone married within the boundaries of their religion, class, education, what do you envisage the world will be like?

1. Everyone should marry within the boundaries of their religion . . . the failure rate for those who do otherwise is dangerously high. We have a few people who got it to work and then assume we can model our own marriages after them forgetting that everyone faces unique challenges.

2. Every other boundary depends on the ability of each individual to adjust to their partner. I can marry outside the boundaries of class and education . . . it all depends on the woman.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by 4Him(m): 10:40pm On Mar 28, 2008
damola1:

Excuse me sir, who threatened you with death?, where did you learn it that disciplined is instilled through threats of death?,

Send a gay friend to Iran.
Re: Would You End A Beautiful Relationship Over Religious Differences? by Imani(f): 10:42pm On Mar 28, 2008
damola1:

The point was very simple: The Great Religion instills discipline in people than christianity.

Any religion that supports harsh rules such as the sharia laws and honour killings in order to "punish" people is not instilling discipline in anybody but fear. The ability to have freedom of choice even if it is of a negative consequence is very important to the essence of being human.

damola1:

I agree with you on this. But i am sure you will realise it is difficult not to generalise sometimes even though it is wrong. When the people being "generalised" against actually start making changes, the generalisations reduce and may eventually stop.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

I Am Slim With Big Boobs But Afraid I May Grow Fat Later (here Is A Pic Of Me) / "I Can't Give You My Phone Number, We Can Be Facebook Friends Though" / What Drugs Can I Take To Last Longer On Bed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.