Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,792 members, 7,851,670 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 05:04 AM

In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? - Religion (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? (65053 Views)

Photos: Nigerian Man Spotted Praying On His Knees In An Airplane / Don't Use IJN To Replace In Jesus Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (62) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jul 16, 2013
Kaycee7: Please go on

How the Catholic church views the Bible

Below are the kinds of replies you can expect from a Roman Catholic priest if you ask him about the contents of the Bible.

Yes I know Matthew 23:9, seems to condemn calling me "Father", but you are not able to understand the Bible like I do.
Yes I know is appears like Jesus condemned the repetitive prayer of the Rosary beads in Matthew 6:7, but Mary appeared to St. Dominic in 1208 AD and revealed to him the Rosary Beads herself!
Yes Matthew 13:55-56 seems to indicate that Jesus had brothers and sisters, but these were the children of Joseph from a previous marriage or just cousins.
Yes, I agree that 1 Timothy 2:5 sounds like Jesus is the only mediator between god and man, but the Pope decided she was indeed also a mediator between God and man
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 16, 2013
[b]MORE OF HOW THEY VIEW THE BIBLE BELOW:

Yes Christ and Paul did command every Christian to drink of the communion cup in Matthew 26:26-28; 1 Corinthians 11:23-28. And Yes I know that two early popes condemned withholding the cup, (Pope Leo I [died 461 AD] and Pope Gelasius [died 496 Ad]; but in the 12th century the practice was begun, and formally approved by the Catholic Council of Constance in 1415 AD.
Was every living Christian in the church in Corinth called a saint?
Yes I know that in the Bible (1 Corinthians 1:2; Ephesians 1:1; Philippians 1:1; Romans 1:7) every Christian was a saint and every saint was a Christian. Yes I agree, the Bible uses the word saint as interchangeably synonymous with being a Christian, but the Roman Catholic church has the power to change the Bible.
Yes I know that in the apostolic church (1 Peter 2:5,9; Revelation 1:6; 5:10), every Christian was a priest and the two terms are used interchangeably synonymous with being a Christian, but the Roman Catholic church decided that only leaders should be called priests.
Yes I know that the Bible appears to teach that 1 Timothy 3:2-5 bishops must be married with believing children, but you can't even understand the Bible anyway, why do you ask? Just trust me because only Catholic priests can understand the Bible.
Yes I have read 1 Timothy 4:1-3, and is seems to condemn forbidding the marriage of Catholic priests, but the Pope decided that unmarried men are more holy than married men.
Yes I know that Mark 1:30; 1 Corinthians 9:5 say that Peter had a wife 23 years after Christ died on the cross (53 AD), but Pope Gregory VII decided in 1079 AD from that time onward, that church leaders cannot marry.
Yes I know that sitting through a Latin Mass service can be very boring for many Catholics in the pews. And yes I know that 1 Corinthians 14:19 condemns conducting a church service in a language the average member does not understand, but the Pope decided that Latin sounds real holy and has both historical and mystical qualities.
Yes I know the early church did not begin to celebrate Christmas until the 4th century. And yes I know that Galatians 4:10-11 condemns the keeping of such holy days not found in the Bible, but the church at Rome needed a way to convert the pagan worshippers of Mithra, the god of light... and it worked!
Yes I know that Acts 20:7 commands Christians to have weekly communion services and that the early church did not celebrate Easter as is done today, but having a yearly communion service was something later church leaders wanted to add to worship.
Yes I know that the Roman Catholic church deleted the 2nd commandment (Exodus 20:4) in order to hid from the masses God's condemnation of bowing down and kissing images of Mary and Peter, but Mary revealed herself to us in a vision.
Yes I know that Jesus was baptized by full immersion in the Jordan River (Matthew 3:16), and that sprinkling was not officially approved until 1311 AD, but it sure is more convenient.
Yes I know that babies have no faith and cannot repent, and are therefor not really valid candidates for baptism (Mark 16:16; Acts 8:36-37; Acts 2:38). But the Pope invented the idea of where the faith and repentance that the infant lacks, is exchanged for the faith and repentance of a "God Parent". Yes I know none of this is in the Bible, but the Pope is the "holy see" and he must know what he is doing!
Yes I know Ezekiel 18:20 proves the doctrine of total hereditary depravity (inherited original sin) contradicts the Bible, but you cannot understand the Bible anyway, only the priest can correctly interpret it.
Yes I know that Matthew 18:2-3 teaches that children are better models of purity and conduct than adults, but the Pope teaches that infants are wicked defiled sinners condemned to hell until a Catholic priest baptizes them and removes the curse of original sin.
Yes I know Ephesians 3:4 plainly seems to say that when you read the Bible by yourself, you can have the same insight that the apostle Paul had into spiritual things, but we Catholic priests cannot teach all our false doctrines that contradict the Bible unless we convince you that you can't understand the Bible unless the priest helps you.
Yes I know that 1 Peter 3:15 teaches every Christian should be able to defend from the Bible what they believe, but isn't that what us Roman Catholic priests are supposed to do? Do you want to put us out of job and rob us of all our power and control?
Yes I know that human traditions that contradict the Bible are condemned in Mark 7:7-9, but all the doctrines that contradict the Bible which the Pope through up were revealed to him directly by Christ and therefore, although they contradict the Bible, they are divinely approved by Christ himself.[/b]
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by SalC: 7:16pm On Jul 16, 2013
naijadeyhia: FACT: Catholics are taught to call their priest, "Father", as a religious title of respect. Christians in the first century never called their leaders, "father". This first happened hundreds of years later.

"Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. Matthew 23:9
And you forgot vs 8 and 10 of matt23?.

Ridiculous!
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by SalC: 7:20pm On Jul 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

How the Catholic church views the Bible

Below are the kinds of replies you can expect from a Roman Catholic priest if you ask him about the contents of the Bible.

Yes I know Matthew 23:9, seems to condemn calling me "Father", but you are not able to understand the Bible like I do.
Yes I know is appears like Jesus condemned the repetitive prayer of the Rosary beads in Matthew 6:7, but Mary appeared to St. Dominic in 1208 AD and revealed to him the Rosary Beads herself!
Yes Matthew 13:55-56 seems to indicate that Jesus had brothers and sisters, but these were the children of Joseph from a previous marriage or just cousins.
Yes, I agree that 1 Timothy 2:5 sounds like Jesus is the only mediator between god and man, but the Pope decided she was indeed also a mediator between God and man
If you have no reasonable thing to say, I advice you go to sleep instead of staying awake writing thrash.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jul 16, 2013
Sal C: If you have no reasonable thing to say, I advice you go to sleep instead of staying awake writing thrash.

Thank you
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by StOla: 8:53pm On Jul 16, 2013
bukatyne:

Nobody created the Bible.

It was Catholics that said Mary was alive because her death was not recorded in the Bible.

I ask: If Mary died a virgin, what happened to her marriage with Joseph?

I suppose the bible fell from the sky like manna, I also reckon you are more knowledgeable than historical fact.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by StOla: 9:19pm On Jul 16, 2013
bukatyne:

What of John the Beloved, Jesus loved Him that he was called 'the Beloved.' Won't he intercede better?

Lol!

I don't recall any Catholic saying only Mary has the power to intercede. All saints intercede for our sake.

Then someone saying his interceding pastor is alive and Mary is dead? Comparing a pastor alive to sin in the world to saints in heaven
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 16, 2013
St.Ola:

I don't recall any Catholic saying only Mary has the power to intercede. All saints intercede for our sake.

Then someone saying his interceding pastor is alive and Mary is dead? Comparing a pastor alive to sin in the world to saints in heaven

[b]FACT: The Bible says there is only one mediator between God and man. Is mary that one mediator?

"For there is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." 1 Timothy 2:5

FACT: The Pope says only very special dead Catholic people qualify to be called "saints". For example, Pope John Paul II could not make Mother Teresa a saint (official canonization) until after she was dead. The average Catholic in the pew is never called a "saint" dead or alive! In fact if a pew dwelling Catholic started calling himself a "saint", he would be rebuked by the parish priest!

"To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours" 1 Corinthians 1:2

"Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are at Ephesus and who are faithful in Christ Jesus" Ephesians 1:1

"Paul and Timothy, bond-servants of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, including the overseers and deacons" Philippians 1:1

"to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 1:7[/b]
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by StOla: 10:18pm On Jul 16, 2013
naijadeyhia: [b]If the Bible is a Catholic book,

1. Why does it condemn clerical dress? (Matt. 23:5-6).
2. Why does it teach against the adoration of Mary? (Luke 11:27-28).
3. Why does it show that all Christians are priests? (1 Pet. 2:5,9).
4. Why does it condemn the observance of special days? (Gal. 4:9-11).
5. Why does it teach that all Christians are saints? (1 Cor. 1:2).
6. Why does it condemn the making and adoration of images? (Ex. 20:4-5).
7. Why does it teach that baptism is immersion instead of pouring? (Col. 2:12).
8. Why does it forbid us to address religious leaders as "father"? (Matt. 23:9).
9. Why does it teach that Christ is the only foundation and not the apostle Peter? (1 Cor. 3:11).
10. Why does it teach that there is one mediator instead of many? (1 Tim. 2:5).
11. Why does it teach that a bishop must be a married man? (1 Tim. 3:2, 4-5).
12. Why is it opposed to the primacy of Peter? (Luke 22:24-27).
13. Why does it oppose the idea of purgatory? (Luke 16:26).
14. Why is it completely silent about infant baptism, instrumental music in worship, indulgences, confession to priests, the rosary, the mass, and many other things in the Catholic Church?[/b]

READ UP BOY!

Firstly, I would ask you, who or what describes/decides what is scripture. Did Paul term his letters scripture or was it the church leaders after him who did?

Secondly, Paul describes a bishop as married to 1 woman as opposed to many, not as opposed to being celibate which Paul was and even encouraged. Marriage was never a condition to assume the role of bishop, rather not being polygamous was.

Thirdly, condemnation was made for the observance of Jewish law by way of its ordinances and holy days. No prohibition was made concerning ordinances that reinforce Christianity, rather the condemnations were to protect gentile Christians from the overbearing nature of Jewish Christians with celebrations that had become irrelevant with the advent of the new covenant.

Fourthly, Baptism as described by Christ was of water and holy spirit. I see no compulsory immersion in the definition. So if immersion provides water contact and pouring also provide water contact, then baptism has occurred.

5. Must it be recorded in the books made scripture by the church, before instrumental music is allowed? David play the harp, he wasn't deemed demonic.

6. Christ's sole mission was to reconcile man to God. After his resurrection, as his parting gift to the Apostles even after promising them the holy spirit, he gave them the power to forgive sins.

7. The origins of the rosary is well known. Are you saying it must have been noted in the scripture that the rosary will be revealed to whom it was, when it was? Or are you saying no revelation must come the way of mankind anymore if not foretold in scripture?

8. The Mass is a worship service that integrates the liturgy of the word and the liturgy of the Eucharist. What is wrong with the Mass? Christ said, "Do this in remembrance of me". It was reiterated by Paul that it should be done as often as we meet. So what is your problem with the Eucharist/Mass?

9. The primacy of Peter is only debated by people who have nothing better to do with time. Why you choose to question the decision of Christ reeks of heresy.

10. Only those Christians who have died in a state of grace are saints. Not Christians living in a wicked and adulterous world.

Lastly, what exactly is your arguement over the origin of the bible? The church compiled the bible, the church wrote the New Testament. The church documented the ministry of Christ, the church wrote letters, the church decided what is scripture or not, the church compiled what it had and what the Jews/Hebrew already had and made it 1book.

The church is Catholic and Apostolic!

1 Like

Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Jul 16, 2013
St.Ola:

Firstly, I would ask you, who or what describes/decides what is scripture. Did Paul term his letters scripture or was it the church leaders after him who did?

Secondly, Paul describes a bishop as married to 1 woman as opposed to many, not as opposed to being celibate which Paul was and even encouraged. Marriage was never a condition to assume the role of bishop, rather not being polygamous was.

Thirdly, condemnation was made for the observance of Jewish law by way of its ordinances and holy days. No prohibition was made concerning ordinances that reinforce Christianity, rather the condemnations were to protect gentile Christians from the overbearing nature of Jewish Christians with celebrations that had become irrelevant with the advent of the new covenant.

Fourthly, Baptism as described by Christ was of water and holy spirit. I see no compulsory immersion in the definition. So if immersion provides water contact and pouring also provide water contact, then baptism has occurred.

5. Must it be recorded in the books made scripture by the church, before instrumental music is allowed? David play the harp, he wasn't deemed demonic.

6. Christ's sole mission was to reconcile man to God. After his resurrection, as his parting gift to the Apostles even after promising them the holy spirit, he gave them the power to forgive sins.

7. The origins of the rosary is well known. Are you saying it must have been noted in the scripture that the rosary will be revealed to whom it was, when it was? Or are you saying no revelation must come the way of mankind anymore if not foretold in scripture?

8. The Mass is a worship service that integrates the liturgy of the word and the liturgy of the Eucharist. What is wrong with the Mass? Christ said, "Do this in remembrance of me". It was reiterated by Paul that it should be done as often as we meet. So what is your problem with the Eucharist/Mass?

9. The primacy of Peter is only debated by people who have nothing better to do with time. Why you choose to question the decision of Christ reeks of heresy.

10. Only those Christians who have died in a state of grace are saints. Not Christians living in a wicked and adulterous world.

Lastly, what exactly is your arguement over the origin of the bible? The church compiled the bible, the church wrote the New Testament. The church documented the ministry of Christ, the church wrote letters, the church decided what is scripture or not, the church compiled what it had and what the Jews/Hebrew already had and made it 1book.

The church is Catholic and Apostolic!

CONFUSION ALL THE WAY! I WILL JUST PICK ONE OUT OF ALL YOU SAID AND IF YOU ANSWER IT CORRECTLY THEN YOU HAVE WON THIS ARGUMENT.

ARE PRIESTS MANDATED TO BE SINGLE OR CAN THEY CHOOSE TO GET MARRIED IF THEY SO DESIRE?
LET ME REPHRASE THE QUESTION IN CASE YOU SAY YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND, CAN A MARRIED MAN BECOME A PRIEST IN THE CATHOLIC FOLD?

WITH BIBLICAL REFERENCE SHOW ME WHERE IS STATES THAT A PRIEST MUST NOT BE MARRIED

[b]THE ORIGIN OF THE ROSARY IS ONLY KNOWN AND ACCEPTED TO CATHOLICS SAME WAY THE ORIGIN OF THE TASBIH KNOW AND ACCEPTED BY MUSLIMS.

IF ONLY THE DEAD CHRISTIANS ARE SAINTS THEN THIS MEANS THAT THE WORD OF GOD IS A LIE AS YOUR CATHOLIC CHURCH IS TRYING TO IMPLY THAT GOD LIES AND THEY HOLD THE TRUTH BUT MY BIBLE STATES THAT LET ALL MEN BE LIARS AND LET GOD BE TRUE. PLEASE READ BELOW:

"To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours" 1 Corinthians 1:2

"Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are at Ephesus and who are faithful in Christ Jesus" Ephesians 1:1

"Paul and Timothy, bond-servants of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, including the overseers and deacons" Philippians 1:1

"to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 1:7[/b]

YOU SPEAK OF THE MASS. ALLOW ME TO ASK YOU, DO YOU DRINK OF THE BLOOD OF CHRIST AS A CATHOLIC OR DO YOU JUST EAT THE LEAVENED BREAD AS THE BODY OF CHRIST?

ARE MERE CATHOLICS ALLOWED TO DRINK THE BLOOD OR JUST THE PRIESTS DO?

[b]To the whole church in Corinth: "in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup." 1 Corinthians 11:28

"While they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and after a blessing, He broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is My body." And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you; for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins." Matthew 26:26-28

"For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me." In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes. Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup." 1 Corinthians 11:23-28[/b]
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by heisenberg33: 11:06pm On Jul 16, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Ironically i have read the 7 other books and already they had one thing in common, contradictions and fallacies. Plus my bible tells me that all scripture is inspired by God.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
King James Version (KJV)
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Sometimes i can not help but laugh boisterously when you ignorant protestants keep quoting this bible and discard everything outside the bible as lies. Let me make one thing clear to you, the bible was not written by God, it was written by men but under his inspiration. Again, you protestants sound like the inspiration of God stopped during the era of Paul,peter and the apostles. God's inspiration did not stop with those guys, it continues till this day. That was what Jesus meant when he said he will be with us now and till the end of time.

It is preposterous when protestant gas bags take only what is in the bible as absolute truths as if the holy spirit of God isn't still at work inspiring things till this day. God continues to inspire people daily and there are many things God has inspired people to write in 2013 which he never inspired to peter and Paul or other apostles. Get this straight, the bible was not written by God directly, the bible is a collection of stories that happened and written by man. It is erroneous to think that anything not written in the bible isn't from God, this would imply that God has already revealed all things he wants to reveal. So what then is the work of the comforter whom Jesus promised to send??If there is nothing else to reveal, why then is the holy spirit at work?

I must emphasise that the bible is not the only source of truth because before the bible was brought into its present form, Christianity had been around for a long time and was being practised without any bible. The early appostles had their traditions which they obeyed and followed, they had meetings or met in councils when they wanted to take any decision. For example, when they wanted to replace Judas Iscariot they prayed before they had their vote and nominated Mathias. They did not need any bible to know their modus-operandi. The bible is only a guide and i repeat does not contain all the truths you should know. It is this same tradition of the apostles the catholic church has continued till today, and that is why we do not teach with the bible alone. We teach by ancient traditions handed over by the apostles and early church fathers, the bible, and the magisterium. And this is only natural because the catholiuc church is the only church senior to the bible, so how can a church senior to the bible teach with the bible alone?? You see, i do not blame you guys for always referring to the bible for everything afterall you guys do not know better, and the bible was actually already in existence before the forming of any other church so it may be understandable if you guys look up to the bible alone, but to expect a church like the catholic church whose traditions pre-existed the compilation of this book to depend solely on it is crass ignorance in gargantuan proportions.

In conclusion, i wanted you spiritually vacuous protestants to know that the bible was not some book sent from heaven by God, it was doctored by men and because men are limited in knowledge as compared to God, it can never contain completely all things in God's mind. The mind of God is too vast to be revealed and contained in a book all at once, even all the human generations which will live is too small to comprehend it. The revelations of God didnt stop with those writers, it continues till this day and will continue forever. This is why the early church fathers often met in councils after serious prayers in continuation with apostolic traditions to deliberate on issues and issue church teachings. It is ludicrous to think that just because the bible writers are dead and no more, then we are stuck with only what was written in the bible, and as such all communication lines from/to God have been severed. No human being has the exclusive rights to inspiration, and God can reveal anything to any one and at any time. It is this same sheepish followership most of you protestants display in the way and manner you swallow hook,line and sinker everything your spurious and jet-loving General over seers say because you guys believe he has an exclusive right to God alone. So it is wrong for you to always say "my bible didnt say this or say that" as if anything not found in the bible is wrong. But alas, you protestants will continue to wallow in your ignorance

1 Like

Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by cutegoddy(m): 12:18am On Jul 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

[b]Nobody is condemning anybody. What we are doing is reproofing, correcting and instructing unto righteousness according to 2nd Timothy 3:16. If you do not clearly find something in the scriptures and you see it being practiced in your local church will you not question it or will you just go with the flow?

My counsel to my catholic brethren is that you get the holy spirit and then with the help of the holy spirit, study the word of God and ask for revelation from the word and allow the Holy spirit to teach you all truth because that is why Christ has given us the Holy spirit.

John 16:13-16
King James Version (KJV)
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

14 He shall glorify me (NOT THE CHURCH, NOT MARY, NOT THE POPE, NOT SAINTS): for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Revelation 18:1-24 (THIS IS A DECLARATION ABOUT THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH) BABYLON REFERS TO ROME
King James Version (KJV)
18 And after these things I saw another angel come down from heaven, having great power; and the earth was lightened with his glory.

2 And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of devils, and the hold of every foul spirit, and a cage of every unclean and hateful bird.

3 For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.

4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

5 For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.

6 Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double.

7 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.

8 Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her.

9 And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning,

10 Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come.

11 And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more:

12 The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of ivory, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble,

13 And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men.

14 And the fruits that thy soul lusted after are departed from thee, and all things which were dainty and goodly are departed from thee, and thou shalt find them no more at all.

15 The merchants of these things, which were made rich by her, shall stand afar off for the fear of her torment, weeping and wailing,

16 And saying, Alas, alas that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls!

17 For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off,

18 And cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, What city is like unto this great city!

19 And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.

20 Rejoice over her, thou heaven, and ye holy apostles and prophets; for God hath avenged you on her.

21 And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

22 And the voice of harpers, and musicians, and of pipers, and trumpeters, shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft he be, shall be found any more in thee; and the sound of a millstone shall be heard no more at all in thee;

23 And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.

24 And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth.
[/b]
what's ur business reproofing or questioning other people's belief, if d trumpet shld sound today are u sure of bin raptured? Let's forget about domination its all in d heart God is not interested in ur domination. I don't see any big deal respecting d mother of God. Why do u we bow down to greet d igwe and obas of d world?
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by StOla: 1:24am On Jul 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

CONFUSION ALL THE WAY! I WILL JUST PICK ONE OUT OF ALL YOU SAID AND IF YOU ANSWER IT CORRECTLY THEN YOU HAVE WON THIS ARGUMENT.

ARE PRIESTS MANDATED TO BE SINGLE OR CAN THEY CHOOSE TO GET MARRIED IF THEY SO DESIRE?
LET ME REPHRASE THE QUESTION IN CASE YOU SAY YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND, CAN A MARRIED MAN BECOME A PRIEST IN THE CATHOLIC FOLD?

WITH BIBLICAL REFERENCE SHOW ME WHERE IS STATES THAT A PRIEST MUST NOT BE MARRIED

[b]THE ORIGIN OF THE ROSARY IS ONLY KNOWN AND ACCEPTED TO CATHOLICS SAME WAY THE ORIGIN OF THE TASBIH KNOW AND ACCEPTED BY MUSLIMS.

IF ONLY THE DEAD CHRISTIANS ARE SAINTS THEN THIS MEANS THAT THE WORD OF GOD IS A LIE AS YOUR CATHOLIC CHURCH IS TRYING TO IMPLY THAT GOD LIES AND THEY HOLD THE TRUTH BUT MY BIBLE STATES THAT LET ALL MEN BE LIARS AND LET GOD BE TRUE. PLEASE READ BELOW:

YOU SPEAK OF THE MASS. ALLOW ME TO ASK YOU, DO YOU DRINK OF THE BLOOD OF CHRIST AS A CATHOLIC OR DO YOU JUST EAT THE LEAVENED BREAD AS THE BODY OF CHRIST?

[b]To the whole church in Corinth: "in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup." 1 Corinthians 11:28

"While they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and after a blessing, He broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is My body." And when He had taken a cup and given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you; for this is My blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for forgiveness of sins." Matthew 26:26-28

"For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me." In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me." For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes. Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord. But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup." 1 Corinthians 11:23-28[/b]

How do the words of a man Paul qualifying fellow men as saints in a letter translate to the words of God?
I suppose the many words of Paul in his many letters, even those that specify the role of women in the church are also words of God? Paul could lie as he was only man and not God, and when did Paul become a prophet relaying only the knowledge revealed by God?

I maintain that the saints are in heaven, having achieved eternal life. Not because a church leader addresses one as such in a letter. Even the Catholic or Anglican or Eastern Orthodox conferment of Sainthood is only a mere worldly assertion that in all certainty, the personality lived a life worth emulating, and died in a state of grace to attain eternal life. No more!

Celibacy was a choice till it became fully mandatory after the counter reformation I suppose. Even some past Popes were not celibates. Celibacy only takes effect when the oath is made and so does not hinder a widower from taking up priestly ordination. The church will not encourage a married man to abandon his marriage for holy orders.

Jesus said, "if any man will come after me, let him deny himself, carry his cross and follow me. It was reported that the rich man who wanted to be counted as righteous went away sad when Christ revealed the need of him to give away his earthly possessions and come follow him. Peter speaking for the disciples said, "what about us, we have forsaken all and have followed thee". I believe you know what Christ's assuring reply to Peter was. If you say Peter was recorded as married, I agree. Was he recorded as actively married while he followed Jesus or while he did work of the gospel? Peter's mother-in-law was healed by Christ, and we also learn from the Acts that his wife devoted herself to Christian work, both reveal that Peter was a married man before he encountered the Lord and gospel work.

So the call has been made by Christ, a call the disciples heed, likewise Paul for the gospel sake. So what is the problem with celibacy for the gospel sake? Is marriage a criteria for salvation? Is the denial of the world and the gift of self to total commitment to the gospel not approved by Christ?

That you are not selfless enough to make such commitment shouldn't engender a disdain for those who are.

The effects of such celibacy is found in the selfless missionary work of the likes of St.Patrick of the British isle, St.Francis Xavier of the Asian far East, and the numerous who freely left their erstwhile homes to journey at great peril and discomfort to preach the gospel. I wouldn't dare forget the great St.Paul.

I have mostly had communion without wine, but sometimes with wine.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by khiaa(f): 3:33am On Jul 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

[b]Exodus 20:3 - Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Exodus 20:4-5 - Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:
5 - Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;

Acts 17:29 - Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Leviticus 26:1 - Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up [any] image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I [am] the LORD your God.

Deuteronomy 4:16-19 - 16 Lest ye corrupt [yourselves], and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female,
17 The likeness of any beast that [is] on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flieth in the air,
18 The likeness of any thing that creepeth on the ground, the likeness of any fish that [is] in the waters beneath the earth:
19 And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, [even] all the host of heaven, shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them, which the LORD thy God hath divided unto all nations under the whole heaven.[/b]

Ladies and Gentlemen, there you have the truth.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Kaycee7(m): 6:01am On Jul 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

I thought you said you were only going to pick one point. Confusion all the way.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 11:12am On Jul 17, 2013
Kaycee7: I thought you said you were only going to pick one point. Confusion all the way.

Then Please pick one out of my so called confusion and respond to it. Biblicaly please
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Then Please pick one out of my so called confusion and respond to it. Biblicaly please
hmmm in those days priests get married. they only changed it cos of much distraction you know. its a calling, its not by force its a well known sacrifice(not getting married) so its a thing of choice. some rev fathers break that rule by impregnating members. all judgements to God though. i am a catholic. i also honour(respect) mary. i do not worship her. the images on a alter are just images and statues for remembrance blessed by faith. when we bow we do not bow to those images but to the mentioning of Jesus(in silent or aloud). For those who do not honour mary it is not a sin in my opinion but becareful how to make statements about mary(for it was written that she is blessed amongst all women)..... Practise anyhow you do it but in all be righteous, Jesus is the only way to God yes very true but i also need prayers from my friends, mother, father, hevenly beigns and also mary(the woman blessed amongst all women) After much arguement do you think you know it all? do you think you are now holy enough? now you truely deserve heaven? whats the point here?
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 17, 2013
Yes i was born a catholic and there are many things we do that i dont like. and there are many things we do that i strongly believe in(which i will not mention). I am only dedicated to catholic church because am still fed by my father which leaves me no choice than to go to church. infact in school i dont even go to church but i believe strongly in God, Jesus and the holy spirit. every church has her own fault dont ague. am yet to decide which church i will attend(Very hard to pick ATM).... but which ever way i will not condemn the belief of honoring mary even though i might leave the church. The bible did not condemn her but rather the bible praised her. The bible did not condemn her but rather called her blessed. Through her salvation came down. Then why will i call her an empty-vessle. Jehover witness even call her an envelope. all kinds of dirty trash has been said about her in this past few years. she has been a topic of insult. Be very carefull for many will seem right but in actual they are false. Think like a christian and not a hater. grin grin grin
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by bukatyne(f): 12:20pm On Jul 17, 2013
ktjohnpaul:

It obvious that you need biblical lessons on the saving GRACE of God, and I will gladly oblige you that in the context of our discuss.

Angel Gabriel used a royal greeting for Mary, when he said "Hail". This term "Hail", as in "Hail Caesar" or "Hail, King of the Jews", wasn't used for peasants. It is a term used for royalty, as in the Queen of the King of Kings, or the Queen Mother of Heaven. Notice too, that Angel Gabriel did not address her by her name of Mary, but rather by her new title - "Full of Grace". To be "full of grace" means that there can be NO room for sin anywhere in your body or soul. And we know from Romans 6:14 that the more grace one has, the less sin one has:

Romans 6:14: For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

Ephesians 4:7 But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ's gift. The word measure speaks to the amount of grace we may receive. Mary's was FULL, giving no room for sin.

So according to you, Mary never sinned?
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by bukatyne(f): 12:23pm On Jul 17, 2013
Syncan:

Because it wasn't meant for me. Take it out with Jesus.

Oh, really? While you asking Him, find out His stand on Mary worship/intercession
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by bukatyne(f): 12:37pm On Jul 17, 2013
St.Ola:

No dead saint has power to intercede. If it were so, don't you think the Bible would have hinted or said it?

Mary was not alive to sin?
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Syncan(m): 12:42pm On Jul 17, 2013
bukatyne:

Oh, really? While you asking Him, find out His stand on Mary worship/intercession

If you've got nothing intelligent to say, it is a virtue to keep quiet and "ponder it all in" your heart. Mary the mother of, Jesus who is God, did that, it was examplary.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by bukatyne(f): 1:23pm On Jul 17, 2013
St.Ola:

How do the words of a man Paul qualifying fellow men as saints in a letter translate to the words of God?
I suppose the many words of Paul in his many letters, even those that specify the role of women in the church are also words of God? Paul could lie as he was only man and not God, and when did Paul become a prophet relaying only the knowledge revealed by God?

I maintain that the saints are in heaven, having achieved eternal life. Not because a church leader addresses one as such in a letter. Even the Catholic or Anglican or Eastern Orthodox conferment of Sainthood is only a mere worldly assertion that in all certainty, the personality lived a life worth emulating, and died in a state of grace to attain eternal life. No more!

Celibacy was a choice till it became fully mandatory after the counter reformation I suppose. Even some past Popes were not celibates. Celibacy only takes effect when the oath is made and so does not hinder a widower from taking up priestly ordination. The church will not encourage a married man to abandon his marriage for holy orders.

Jesus said, "if any man will come after me, let him deny himself, carry his cross and follow me. It was reported that the rich man who wanted to be counted as righteous went away sad when Christ revealed the need of him to give away his earthly possessions and come follow him. Peter speaking for the disciples said, "what about us, we have forsaken all and have followed thee". I believe you know what Christ's assuring reply to Peter was. If you say Peter was recorded as married, I agree. Was he recorded as actively married while he followed Jesus or while he did work of the gospel? Peter's mother-in-law was healed by Christ, and we also learn from the Acts that his wife devoted herself to Christian work, both reveal that Peter was a married man before he encountered the Lord and gospel work.

So the call has been made by Christ, a call the disciples heed, likewise Paul for the gospel sake. So what is the problem with celibacy for the gospel sake? Is marriage a criteria for salvation? Is the denial of the world and the gift of self to total commitment to the gospel not approved by Christ?

That you are not selfless enough to make such commitment shouldn't engender a disdain for those who are.

The effects of such celibacy is found in the selfless missionary work of the likes of St.Patrick of the British isle, St.Francis Xavier of the Asian far East, and the numerous who freely left their erstwhile homes to journey at great peril and discomfort to preach the gospel. I wouldn't dare forget the great St.Paul.

I have mostly had communion without wine, but sometimes with wine.

Emm, you don't believe the words of Paul in the Bible but you believe the words of the person who calls Mary and co saints?

Paul could lie? You mean there might be lies in the BIBLE?

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed cry
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by bukatyne(f): 1:25pm On Jul 17, 2013
Syncan:

If you've got nothing intelligent to say, it is a virtue to keep quiet and "ponder it all in" your heart. Mary the mother of, Jesus who is God, did that, it was examplary.

I should actually tell you that.

Imagine yourself, Mary the mother of God! So your God has a mother? And He created man (male and female) in His image? Bia, where was Mary during the creation? Breatfeeding Jesus abi?

You guys are impossible.
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jul 17, 2013
OliverPin: Yes i was born a catholic and there are many things we do that i dont like. and there are many things we do that i strongly believe in(which i will not mention). I am only dedicated to catholic church because am still fed by my father which leaves me no choice than to go to church. infact in school i dont even go to church but i believe strongly in God, Jesus and the holy spirit. every church has her own fault dont ague. am yet to decide which church i will attend(Very hard to pick ATM).... but which ever way i will not condemn the belief of honoring mary even though i might leave the church. The bible did not condemn her but rather the bible praised her. The bible did not condemn her but rather called her blessed. Through her salvation came down. Then why will i call her an empty-vessle. Jehover witness even call her an envelope. all kinds of dirty trash has been said about her in this past few years. she has been a topic of insult. Be very carefull for many will seem right but in actual they are false. Think like a christian and not a hater. grin grin grin

Did i say i was a hater? If salvation came to me through Mary then I wonder what Jesus Came to do. My friend, blasphemy is a sin against the Holy Spirit. Be careful!
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by mko2005: 1:55pm On Jul 17, 2013
heisenberg33:

The bible is only a guide and i repeat does not contain all the truths you should know.

It is this same sheepish followership most of you protestants display in the way and manner you swallow hook,line and sinker everything your spurious and jet-loving General over seers say because you guys believe he has an exclusive right to God alone.
Take it easy friend ! This is Christianity,a relationship with Christ we are talking about ! The more we try to back up our errors the more errors we make !

God help us
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jul 17, 2013
bukatyne:

Imagine yourself, Mary the mother of God! So your God has a mother? And He created man (male and female) in His image? Bia, where was Mary during the creation? Breatfeeding Jesus abi?

You guys are impossible.

Dont mind them

No Mary was busy cooking the food that God would eat since she is Gods mother! Or perhaps she was busy washing the clothes that God would wear to school on the day he rested from creation in which he created both Male and Female.

All these Sadducees and pharisees
grin
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by mko2005: 2:02pm On Jul 17, 2013
naijadeyhia:

Did i say i was a hater? If salvation came to me through Mary then I wonder what Jesus Came to do. My friend, blasphemy is a sin against the Holy Spirit. Be careful!
Let us continue to correct people with love !
I once told a Muslim colleague of mine that if Christ isn't the only way to God then He is none of the ways ! She asked me why i said that & i told her that Christ said so ! That He is the only way ! That if He is not it means HE was a liar then can't even be none of the ways ! Thank God for HE can not lie !
Who came from heaven to earth ?
Who went to the cross ?
Who was buried and resurrected ?
Who ascended into heaven ?
The grace was thought by God,fought by satan,bought by Jesus and the grace eventually wrought it !

God help us all
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 17, 2013
m.k.o2005:

Let us continue to correct people with love !
I once told a Muslim colleague of mine that if Christ isn't the only way to God then He is none of the ways ! She asked me why i said that & i told her that Christ said so ! That He is the only way ! That if He is not it means HE was a liar then can't even be none of the ways ! Thank God for HE can not lie !
Who came from heaven to earth ?
Who went to the cross ?
Who was buried and resurrected ?
Who ascended into heaven ?
The grace was thought by God,fought by satan,bought by Jesus and the grace eventually wrought it !

God help us all

God Bless you
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jul 17, 2013
Catholics always say Mary Gave birth to Jesus who is God and so this makes her the mother of God. But thank God that even God is careful when he uses words because he is a wise God.

Luke 1:35
And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

The word Shall talks about a future occurrence and not the present because Christ must first be born as the son of man and then become the son of God after His death, burial and resurrection . For the king James Bible readers who see the words shall and shalt on the same line do not be confused. Shalt is a more affirmative and immediate situation or demand unlike shall which is a future tense.

Revelation is good my catholic brethren and it can only come via the holy spirit who is to lead us into all truth and teach us all things and also show us things to come and also glorify God and not man or dead saints or Mary or the Pope.

For more clarity kindly read exodus 20 and note the order God gave the ten commandments and how God carefully chose His words
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by italo: 2:41pm On Jul 17, 2013
naijadeyhia: Catholics always say Mary Gave birth to Jesus who is God and so this makes her the mother of God. But thank God that even God is careful when he uses words because he is a wise God.

Luke 1:35
And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

The word Shall talks about a future occurrence and not the present because Christ must first be born as the son of man and then become the son of God after His death, burial and resurrection . For the king James Bible readers who see the words shall and shalt on the same line do not be confused. Shalt is a more affirmative and immediate situation or demand unlike shall which is a future tense.

Revelation is good my catholic brethren and it can only come via the holy spirit who is to lead us into all truth and teach us all things and also show us things to come and also glorify God and not man or dead saints or Mary or the Pope.

For more clarity kindly read exodus 20 and note the order God gave the ten commandments and how God carefully chose His words

Matt 14:33 Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

Matt 16:16:Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

Explain the word "are" to us, the way you explained "shall."

Does it also talk about a future occurence...or the present?
Re: In Jesus Name, All Knees Bow; In Mary's Name, What Happens? by Syncan(m): 2:41pm On Jul 17, 2013
bukatyne:

You guys are impossible.

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Who breastfed that mighty God? You may insult her all you want, I guess its your way of calling her blessed.

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (62) (Reply)

Pastor David Elijah With Bundles Of Money After His Malaysia Trip (Photos) / Chinese Authorities Blow Up Christian Megachurch With Dynamite (pics) / Why Adeboye Made Joseph Obayemi General Overseer - RCCG Releases Memo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 204
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.