Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:12 AM

How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? (15441 Views)

. / Why Is It Hard For Most Young People To Save Money?? / Why Young People Should Invest In Shares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by donjunu24: 2:12pm On Mar 25, 2013
You can sow seeds in the Church and give to the less privileged.
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by adexsimply(m): 2:16pm On Mar 25, 2013
i'm waitin 4 more replies,coz i hapun 2 be in d same position wit d OP..more replies pls
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by adexsimply(m): 2:19pm On Mar 25, 2013
i dnt thnk that's a practical idea sir
donjunu24: You can sow seeds in the Church and give to the less privileged.
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by vision2050: 2:22pm On Mar 25, 2013
I have interest in this forum. I started work a year ago with salary of 25k monthly, what should I invest on?
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by waja(m): 2:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
My brother, pls build your house first and bring in tenants first for it appreciates by the seconds. Other investments will follow suit.
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by Mentorbruno(m): 2:24pm On Mar 25, 2013
Interesting
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by oyaski: 2:32pm On Mar 25, 2013
To access the FGN bonds or FGN Treasury bills contact your Bank and discuss with them. They will advise you on the minimum amount required to start with.
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by AjanleKoko: 2:38pm On Mar 25, 2013
I think young people with disposable income should look at passive investment to start with.
Put some money in fixed securities such as bonds or T-Bills, like Seun suggested. If you have more, you can try out some of the mutual funds around, like ARM Discovery or IBTC Equity. They are more expensive though, but can also give good returns. I would start with that rather than actively trading on the exchange.

You can start with that for the first year or two. You probably still need to invest in yourself, to strengthen your future career prospects. So you probably can't be very aggressive at the onset. Start with those options I mentioned, and try to spend time reading a little bit about investing in general, particularly as it relates to our market here in Nigeria. Read publications like Castles or BusinessDay rather than City People or Complete Sports wink

3 Likes

Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by alaura: 2:38pm On Mar 25, 2013
The best is investment is to buy a land,start developing small small until its finish then u can rent it out and collect ur cool cash yearly
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Mar 25, 2013
stay away from nigerian stocks. if u have ear hear it now. STAY AWAY FROM THE STOCK MARKET, STAY AWAY FROM ALL THESE INVESTMENT AND ASSETS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES, DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU. YOU CAN BUY FGN TREASURE BILLS, BUY LANDS AND SAVE THE REST STAY IN YOUR ACCOUNT AS SAVINGS. IT IS BETTER THAN YOU CRYING AND HAVING SLEEPLESS NIGHTS OVER YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY IN SOMEONE'S DISPOSAL WITH NO HOPE OF RETURNING
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by martindgre: 2:45pm On Mar 25, 2013
Invest in brand names on .com.ng target product names in the next 5yrs the will be more valuable than some properties in asokoro. I registered electronics.com.ng and a white investor decided to buy it but were yet to conclude pricing. When I asked him why he needs it he told me his own country electronics investors wants it to show case electronics product from there country in Europe.
Read buydomain.com.ng to get imaginative understanding how big the .com.ng is.

Regards
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by waja(m): 2:50pm On Mar 25, 2013
ocman: stay away from nigerian stocks. if u have ear hear it now. STAY AWAY FROM THE STOCK MARKET, STAY AWAY FROM ALL THESE INVESTMENT AND ASSETS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES, DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU. YOU CAN BUY FGN TREASURE BILLS, BUY LANDS AND SAVE THE REST STAY IN YOUR ACCOUNT AS SAVINGS. IT IS BETTER THAN YOU CRYING AND HAVING SLEEPLESS NIGHTS OVER YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY IN SOMEONE'S DISPOSAL WITH NO HOPE OF RETURNING
. If he fails to listen, I'll tell him about COMMANDCLEM and MEGA ASSETS. They're thieves.
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by mrjingles(m): 2:56pm On Mar 25, 2013
My brother go to a professional investment adviser and PAY for good advice. What you will get here is unlikely to help you. No point asking a baker to advice you on how to fly a plane.
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by Joshcoli(m): 3:03pm On Mar 25, 2013
vision2050: I have interest in this forum. I started work a year ago with salary of 25k monthly, what should I invest on?

Damn!
My brother da good lord will help you oooh
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by honprof1(m): 3:09pm On Mar 25, 2013
soldierAnt: How Should The Young And Recently Employed Invest Their Extra Cash

To all seasoned investors and friends in the house,

I'm young, just bagged my first real job and I'm looking to start investing right away. I figured I'd better start early because I know I've still got lots to learn and my commitments couldn't possibly be any lower than they are right now. I'm prepared for a bumpy ride but I'd really appreciate any advice I can get from the house.

Been thinking about money market funds and index funds, but I'd really like to know how to go about obtaining a proper financial education. I'm quite a tech geek, you see; I know next to nothing about finance.,

Thanks in advance.

Invest in Life Insurance with Investment Link but not more than 5 years ..... U will cultivate the habit of paying monthly premiun and it will be helpful while deducting d money from the source as direct debit Mandate to relief u . Whatever ever the return of the investment in 5yrs down the line , u invest in Tresury in any Finance house... Thereby u be come Large .
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by toofine765: 3:45pm On Mar 25, 2013
@vision2050, don't mind any one. Take it that your monthly salary is just 20,000 and do save 5,000 religiously. With time you will be amazed what you will have gathered after which you can invest the lump sum. All the best.
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by Tedpgrass: 4:04pm On Mar 25, 2013
To the Op.... Congrats on such forward thinking!!!!
Rather than look for the latest flashy car or jewelry,you're thinking long-term.
Well done!!!!!!!!!!!

I'ld advise a generalist approach, following a self-education in a multi-pronged manner. The Yorubas have a saying....... there are many ways into a market!!!! Multi-focal entry is the way with divine providence.

The Nigerian stockmarket isn't quite furnished yet to instill great investor confidence, following fairly recent events, IMHO.

You've had advice re: government bonds. I personally have little experience... hence can't comment. However, judging by the "Divide Nigeria slogans, I read on NL n other sites daily, I wonder about the possibility of NGR still remaining an entity in another 20-30yrs and validity of the bonds then. But on the short-term, it may yet be your best option, protecting against inflation, whilst deciding on.your next plan.

The property market is equally overpriced. (..... me thinks that will crash in the not-so-distant future...) in certain localities, particularly once corrupt leaders are taken out of the equation and the issues of sustainability and environmental protection in view of worsening climatic effects, become a major challenge.

Land purchase plans should be made carefully. Choose areas with good accessibility, appealing to middle-income earners, not prone to flooding. Large plots or acres can be bought n fenced right away..... have your estate pronto.

Invest in a business..... fish farming, poultry.... Can use some of ur land for this. Create employment for others. Get a good manager due to your personal work constraints but keep a watchful eye.... so weekends are spent at your businesses, monitoring progress and identifying growth strategies.

Land purchase may not necessarily be in popular areas or even in Nigeria. Invest in other countries with good laws in place, to protect your investment. It may be initially expensive, but should hold value on the medium to long-term. Europe is a viable option due to recession. Avoid Spain though, due to uncertain interpretation of their land laws.

Invest in yourself as needed.

Be charitable, Help the poor, the needy through your house of faith or otherwise depending on your faith or lack of it .

Keep up on the good work.

Let's hear how u get on.

4 Likes

Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 25, 2013
toofine765: @vision2050, don't mind any one. Take it that your monthly salary is just 20,000 and do save 5,000 religiously. With time you will be amazed what you will have gathered after which you can invest the lump sum. All the best.
by religiously, you mean giving to pastors?
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by mikolo80: 4:17pm On Mar 25, 2013
GUY,PLANT PLANTAIN PALM OR COCOA TREES

1 Like

Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Mar 25, 2013
Is it advisable to invest #500,000 in this FGN bond/t bills? Or make i just buy keke napep(tri cycle) put for road make them dey deliver daily?? Pls, I need advice o!
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by Peterwins(m): 4:46pm On Mar 25, 2013
Congrats on your first real job. It is very important to have investment goals and objectives before deciding the types of investments to commit your funds to. Investing without your personal objectives (reason/purpose) is akin to playing football without a goal post. So what are your investment goals?

Investments in stocks, mutual funds, bonds, real estate, etc have their respective advantages and "disadvantages" in terms of :
1. Return on investment (especially after tax).
2. Capital gain/loss (appreciation/depreciation) - the impact of inflation should be considered.
3. Liquidity - how easily can you turn your investment (or part of it) to cash when necessary.
4. Cash Flow - is your investment a "cash cow".
5. Tenure - are you a short, middle or long term investor or a combination of all.

Investing is just like fishing (with its attendant risks) in the ocean, you decide on the type of fish (or sea animals) you intend to catch - whales, sharks, dolphins, sardines, mackerels, crabs, shrimps, lobsters, etc.

Do not put all your eggs (investments) in one basket no matter how juicy the investment may be.
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by InvertedHammer: 4:46pm On Mar 25, 2013

Buy lands and start developing real estates. Even if it is "Face me-I face You" kind of houses.
You cannot beat real estate especially in a place like Nigeria where there is no real oversight
on equities and financial regulations are lax leading to lack of transparency, corruption and fraud.

tbill, bonds, Index fund, mutual funds, all sound as good as bragging right to tap yourself on the shoulder
that you are a financial guru. But the ROI (return on Investment) is not encouraging. That is IF they are honored.
Age is still on your side. This is the time you should go for high risk investments which
traditionally have higher yields.

But to secure your future for sure REAL ESTATES and LANDS will be my advice.

1 Like

Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by Peterwins(m): 5:42pm On Mar 25, 2013
K_ONE: Is it advisable to invest #500,000 in this FGN bond/t bills? Or make i just buy keke napep(tri cycle) put for road make them dey deliver daily?? Pls, I need advice o!

What are your investment goals? Without goals your investments become subjective rather than objective.

Keke NAPEP Vs FGN BONDS/Treasury BILLS.

1. Return on Investment. Keke NAPEP has a better return on investment.

2. Capital Gain/Loss. FGN BOND/TB wins this. Your Keke NAPEP would lose up to 40% in its first year of operation.

3. Liquidity. Both are quite liquid but the FGN BOND/TB is more liquid.

4. Cash Flow. With daily delivery (income), Keke NAPEP takes the cake.

5. Tenure of Investment. You could recoup your capital within 2 years with Keke NAPEP while your FGN BOND/TB will take longer years (even when you roll over the 90day/180day Treasury bills) cumulatively for years.

6. Security. The FGN Bond/TB is safer. Even with a good driver, your Keke NAPEP is subject to many hazards. However a good comprehensive insurance policy may mitigate against this.

7. Personal Supervision. Your FGN Bond/TB do not require your personal supervision. You may be frustrated (it may involve heated arguments with both driver and mechanic) with your Keke NAPEP investment if you don't get a good and hard(smart) working driver while your FGN Bond/TB is on auto-drive.

The choice is yours.

2 Likes

Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by Seun(m): 5:42pm On Mar 25, 2013
mrjingles: My brother go to a professional investment adviser and PAY for good advice.
Advice given by a professional may be wrong. Many investment advisers just want you to trade so they can get their fees.

1 Like

Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by Kennyfancy(m): 5:56pm On Mar 25, 2013
Please I would also like to invest in any investment. Please give me detail.
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by AjanleKoko: 6:10pm On Mar 25, 2013
Peterwins:

What are your investment goals? Without goals your investments become subjective rather than objective.

Keke NAPEP Vs FGN BONDS/Treasury BILLS.

1. Return on Investment. Keke NAPEP has a better return on investment.

2. Capital Gain/Loss. FGN BOND/TB wins this. Your Keke NAPEP would lose up to 40% in its first year of operation.

3. Liquidity. Both are quite liquid but the FGN BOND/TB is more liquid.

4. Cash Flow. With daily delivery (income), Keke NAPEP takes the cake.

5. Tenure of Investment. You could recoup your capital within 2 years with Keke NAPEP while your FGN BOND/TB will take longer years (even when you roll over the 90day/180day Treasury bills) cumulatively for years.

6. Security. The FGN Bond/TB is safer. Even with a good driver, your Keke NAPEP is subject to many hazards. However a good comprehensive insurance policy may mitigate against this.

7. Personal Supervision. Your FGN Bond/TB do not require your personal supervision. You may be frustrated (it may involve heated arguments with both driver and mechanic) with your Keke NAPEP investment if you don't get a good and hard(smart) working driver while your FGN Bond/TB is on auto-drive.

The choice is yours.

Very good analysis, done for free wink
A classic case of high risk high returns presented here.
In my view, anyone who's earning a salary has no need of a high-risk investment. If you're earning a salary, and you have enough idle income to invest, why do you need an investment like Keke NAPEP? Your daily needs should be taken care of by your salary.

What you need is a secure investment that doesn't depreciate in value and doesn't require significant maintenance overhead. Your Keke NAPEP is likely to earn good returns, most of which will likely go into maintenance, repairs, settling touts and police, etc, as well as pilfering by your driver. Plus the equipment itself will depreciate very quickly in value.

The bonds or TBs are assets that you could even borrow against if you need to in the future. Try getting a loan from any financial institution with your Keke NAPEP as collateral grin

3 Likes

Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by eazzzy1(m): 7:02pm On Mar 25, 2013
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by laykhorn(m): 7:50pm On Mar 25, 2013
Read ''Think and grow rich'' by Napoleon Hill & try ''Rich dad, Poor dad'' by Robert Kiyosaki
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by Peterwins(m): 8:27pm On Mar 25, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Very good analysis, done for free wink
A classic case of high risk high returns presented here.
In my view, anyone who's earning a salary has no need of a high-risk investment. If you're earning a salary, and you have enough idle income to invest, why do you need an investment like Keke NAPEP? Your daily needs should be taken care of by your salary.

What you need is a secure investment that doesn't depreciate in value and doesn't require significant maintenance overhead. Your Keke NAPEP is likely to earn good returns, most of which will likely go into maintenance, repairs, settling touts and police, etc, as well as pilfering by your driver. Plus the equipment itself will depreciate very quickly in value.

The bonds or TBs are assets that you could even borrow against if you need to in the future. Try getting a loan from any financial institution with your Keke NAPEP as collateral grin

One of the major reasons some people do not like FGN Bonds, Treasury bills and other fixed investment is because of their low yield (low annual rate). Imagine a fixed income investment of 12% per year with an inflation rate in Nigeria hovering between 9 and 11%. So if your fund is generated and spent in Nigeria, you are technically making not more than 3% (net) per year on your investment.

But the case is different if the source of your funding is coming from overseas (where their inflation rate is not more than 2 or 3%). Hence the attractiveness of our fixed income market to outsiders (foreigners). While insiders (Nigerian investors) make about 2 or 3% (net), outsiders (foreign investors) make about 9% (net) from the same fixed income market in Nigeria. Inflation/cost of fund makes a whole difference.

Every individual investor must first identify/outline their goals and objectives of investment before embarking on the adventurous journey of investments.
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by uromicom: 10:50pm On Mar 25, 2013
if you have money buy a truck and register it under NNPC and nuepeng and make almost 400k every monet kpakam!!!
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by vision2050: 11:04pm On Mar 25, 2013
Joshcoli:

Damn!
My brother da good lord will help you oooh
Amen

just to start with, afterall im not a pauper.......
Re: How Should Young People Invest Their Extra Cash? by vision2050: 11:08pm On Mar 25, 2013
K_ONE: by religiously, you mean giving to pastors?
This is not what he's trying to say, i think somethong else.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Free Stock Market Pick Alert For All Investors Globally!!! / 100 Million Naira To Invest / Bitcoin Is In Trouble Ether Is Coming For Number 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.