Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,769 members, 7,820,686 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids (16389 Views)

Nigerian Taxi Driver Suspended For Insulting Gay Passengers Kissing In His Cab. / Pictures to prove that parenting works best by lying constantly to a child. / My Pal's Wife Cheats Constantly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 2:55pm On Mar 27, 2013
There's a difference between insult, abuse and curse.
When your dad gets angry and tells you "don't be silly! Or silly!" Go and hang yourself because your dad insulted you. As far as I know my mum used to say we should stop behaving like goats, that's when we acted foolish, that didn't stop us from changing and behaving like human beings. And the next thing you'll hear her say is "my children are very wise" all these sabi sabi people here telling some1 how to raise their kids, I hope your children are going to be 100% well behaved everyday. Bottom line, correction with love is better than trying to avoid insulting your child and loose him to terrible behaviour. Spare the rod and spoil the child.(They'll soon tell me it wasn't meant to be followed literally)na una sabi sha, I dey my house, I raise my kids how I want. Main goal; useful, wise and well mannered children with great fear of God.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by MMM2(m): 2:55pm On Mar 27, 2013
My dad is an example of cursing his children angry

But I will always say God forbid 2 dose curse

Thank God I made in life
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by adexsimply(m): 2:55pm On Mar 27, 2013
xynerise: what about calling them Antelope? undecided
not bad..thats if you ar ryt though
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by MMM2(m): 2:56pm On Mar 27, 2013
My dad is an example of cursing his children angry

But I will always say God forbid 2 dose curse

I Thank God I made it in life
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by adexsimply(m): 3:00pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ada Nri1: There's a different between insult, abuse and curse.
When your dad gets angry and tells you "don't be silly! Or silly!" Go and hang yourself. As far as I know my mum used to say we should stop behaving like goats, that's when we acted foolish, that didn't stop us from changing and behaving like human beings. And the next thing you'll hear her say is "my children are very wise" all these sabi sabi people here telling some1 how to raise their kids, I hope your children are going to be 100% well behaved everyday. Bottom line, correction with love is better than trying to avoid insulting your child and loose him to terrible behaviour. Spare the rod and spoil the child.(They'll soon tell me it wasn't meant to be followed literally)na una sabi sha, I dey my house, I raise my kids how I want. Main goal; useful and well mannered children with great fear of God
well lets wait and c how those children turn out..i made a personal research and realized that children exposed to much beatings turn out to be more stubborn...maybe its becos they get so used to beatings that it(beating) stops having effects on them----
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by occam(m): 3:02pm On Mar 27, 2013
Fhemmmy: I think there is a difference between insulting and cursing them . . . I tell my son most times that he is big head and he say it back to me too, but when a parent curse their kids like saying - I know you cant be anything in life, that is dangerous and such pronunciation do have a lasting effect.

That's just playing. He finds it funny too that's why he's saying it back to you.

Too many Nigerian parent's insult their kids at the slightest offence. Talking to kids is really alien in our society. A child asks a simple question and they tell him/her to shut up and mind his/her business. Nigerians don't like explaining things to children.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by occam(m): 3:06pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ada Nri1: There's a difference between insult, abuse and curse.
When your dad gets angry and tells you "don't be silly! Or silly!" Go and hang yourself because your dad insulted you. As far as I know my mum used to say we should stop behaving like goats, that's when we acted foolish, that didn't stop us from changing and behaving like human beings. And the next thing you'll hear her say is "my children are very wise" all these sabi sabi people here telling some1 how to raise their kids, I hope your children are going to be 100% well behaved everyday. Bottom line, correction with love is better than trying to avoid insulting your child and loose him to terrible behaviour. Spare the rod and spoil the child.(They'll soon tell me it wasn't meant to be followed literally)na una sabi sha, I dey my house, I raise my kids how I want. Main goal; useful, wise and well mannered children with great fear of God.

You van correct a child without insulting. How would you feel if your boss insults you instead of explaining what you did wrong and then correct you.

This our Nigerian mindset has to stop. Just be firm. Kid get it

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by dowjones(m): 3:08pm On Mar 27, 2013
*so a quality thread like this can still grace the front page*

my dad is paying the price of his insults and curses cos none of his children talk to him and his wife was inches away from leaving him before she died...lonely old man always naggin on the phone.
Not everybody should be parents, so many people will do alot of good to world by not raising children because they simply transfer thier hate on to thier offspring.
I plan not to have children (or get married) i fear i will do worse but i see failures in parenting and marriage trying to change my mind. Cold world.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Edoboy1(m): 3:10pm On Mar 27, 2013
It is in some persons habit to curse or abuse. Africans and the world atlarge. Its not an African thing alone. U will be suprise how much of insults and abuse their are in day-to-day life of an average European or American family life. I think its personal,because I can't even remember when last I told somebody "are u mad". We all need self discipline.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Sinju: 3:16pm On Mar 27, 2013
@OP you mean "the dangers of verbally abusing your kids"

Let us call a spade a spade.

Verbal abuse for humans results in emotional and psychological problems.

To those single and still searching: if you meet someone whose parents verbally abuse dem, ready yourself to deal with the consequences.

To parents: if your goal is to raise emotionally stable children, refrain from verbal abuse.

To those who live abroad: although you were raised in a culture where verbally abusing your kids and others is acceptable, this can get you in more trouble with the law when you decide it is normal to verbally abuse the "cousin" you sneaked in to help with the your kids. Read the stories of all those convicted for "slavery". The evidence of verbal abuse (goat, bush animal etc)was used to convinced the jury.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by dowjones(m): 3:21pm On Mar 27, 2013

You obviously dont know what it is to be abused..i'd suggest you review what you posted. My dad constantly told me i was not going to be anything in life..hell, he told me to mark his words...he would be very graphic on how i was going be a failure it was actually scary and mine was still mild compared to my elder sis. We were well behaved kids cos the fear was instilled to us...i used to stutter seriously as a child and my dad will make fun of me.(he too was a stutter but became very eloquent) mind you i had been expelled from 3 primary schools becuase i almost killed students who laughed at me so i also planned to kill the man but thats past now..you obviously dont know sh!!t
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by gabinogem(m): 3:23pm On Mar 27, 2013
Moderation is certainly the key... If u must discipline ur child, be moderate in doing so... My advice to folks: do not abstain 4rm disciplining ur kids and also do not take it to the extreem... Goodluck as u embark on the training of the most complicated animals on earth. winkModeration is certainly the key... If u must discipline ur child, be moderate in doing so... My advice to folks: do not abstain 4rm disciplining ur kids and also do not take it to the extreem... Goodluck as u embark on the training of the most complicated animals on earth. wink
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Segunagagu(m): 3:29pm On Mar 27, 2013
pDude: My dad constantly did that shit when we were younger and he is currently paying the price.
I love dis one. Plss hw do u mean?? Hw is he paying d price?? Am in d same shoes nw ..
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by BecaciaBarbie(f): 3:38pm On Mar 27, 2013
ighoosagie: Ur parent insult u n u dey complain my own dem dey beat me in advance for watin I neva do yet
lmaooooooooooooo.....
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by ayodot(m): 3:44pm On Mar 27, 2013
adexsimply: well lets wait and c how those children turn out..i made a personal research and realized that children exposed to much beatings turn out to be more stubborn...maybe its becos they get so used to beatings that it(beating) stops having effects on them----

stubborn ke, me I chop cane sotey I gentle
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by edwonderz(m): 3:44pm On Mar 27, 2013
Mine wasn't just an insult,no day passes by without hearing more than 20 curses during my early teen years but thank God none came to pass in my life. Honesty it was hell growing up in a family of 7, i am the last of the 4 boys and i have a younger sister. All my siblings hated me for no good reason maybe because i used to play Mr good boy and all they could do is to call me hurtful names and beat me up most times. (i almost committed suicide).Please parents have children only as many as you can control.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Segunagagu(m): 3:45pm On Mar 27, 2013
Damn!!!! I bet u dis thread was created for me.haaa. This discipline of my dad is soooooooooo extreme to d extent dat,I can't even stay in the parlour with my dad.we don't talk personally..u won't imagine. Only wen I want to ask him for skool fees or something pertaining to skool stuffs.wen he is at home.its like we are a cage. Wen he goes out or travel its like he should never return again..he is sooooooooo strict. And I know this is really going to affect the family in the future.. Am 26. U won't believe I can't sit with my dad and talk to him one on one. Sometimes wen I see my cousin's dad. I cry inside my heart..as am writing this now. I am really crying.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by adexsimply(m): 3:45pm On Mar 27, 2013
dowjones:

You obviously dont know what it is to be abused..i'd suggest you review what you posted. My dad constantly told me i was not going to be anything in life..hell, he told me to mark his words...he would be very graphic on how i was going be a failure it was actually scary and mine was still mild compared to my elder sis. We were well behaved kids cos the fear was instilled to us...i used to stutter seriously as a child and my dad will make fun of me.(he too was a stutter but became very eloquent) mind you i had been expelled from 3 primary schools becuase i almost killed students who laughed at me so i also planned to kill the man but thats past now..you obviously dont know sh!!t
i understand u man.. i knw wat it feels to be abused by ur dad..i still don't knw how to relate with people very well(despite self-trainings and so much practices) due to wat i was subjected to by my dAD while growing up..i dont hate him though, cos he had a very bitter childhood
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 3:48pm On Mar 27, 2013
adexsimply: well lets wait and c how those children turn out..i made a personal research and realized that children exposed to much beatings turn out to be more stubborn...maybe its becos they get so used to beatings that it(beating) stops having effects on them----
I'm not saying beating is good or not. Moderation in everything. My people say that you don't beat a child the day he spills oil. It means choose the worst offences not just hitting a child anyhow. For me its talk, talk, isolate, punish, beat!!!!!!! Talk .... Removing beating out of it is only when the child is over 7 and you know that there are worse methods without physical contact. I can make u wash all the toilets, clean the kitchen and iron everbody's bed spread. By the time I cancel your holiday trip twice, you'll buckle up. That won't stop me from beating o. I even threaten leaving in Nigeria with nana in the village
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by adexsimply(m): 3:50pm On Mar 27, 2013
ayodot:

stubborn ke, me I chop cane sotey I gentle
well.u knw there are different kinds of beings sha
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 3:56pm On Mar 27, 2013
dowjones:

I know what abuse means. My examples are not those of abuse, just insult that is meant to correct. Now do expect me to also tell you you don't know sh!!t? *smh
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by adexsimply(m): 3:58pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ada Nri1: I'm not saying beating is good or not. Moderation in everything. My people say that you don't beat a child the day he spills oil. It means choose the worst offences not just hitting a child anyhow. For me its talk, talk, isolate, punish, beat!!!!!!! Talk .... Removing beating out of it is only when the child is over 7 and you know that there are worse methods without physical contact. I can make u wash all the toilets, clean the kitchen and iron everbody's bed spread. By the time I cancel your holiday trip twice, you'll buckle up. That won't stop me from beating o. I even threaten leaving in Nigeria with nana in the village
ok ma'am..but if you went thru wat me and my two siblings(even my mum 2) are still going thru..u wuldnt plan to do wat u mentioned above to any of ur children..i COULD still go with the bold-en part though
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by oyeladeomoniyi: 3:58pm On Mar 27, 2013
No one likes being insulted, especially not your kids. Many times parents tend to insult their children when they get angry. This has a very bad effect on the children mentally as it tends to lower their self esteem a great deal.
Moreso, it weakens your relationship with them.

Insulting your kids constantly, drives them away farther from you. They get scared of telling you their secrets because they fear you might use it against them, thereby weakening and reducing the quality of your relationship with them.

I know who's mom told her that she doesn't have a brain and that she probably won't make it in life. She ended up committing suicide. Now tell me, who do you think is responsible for the death of that child.

The question you ask yourself then is, how do you correct them without hurting them(emotionally) or reducing their self esteem?
One thing that works most often is "one on one advice". If your kids make a mistake, you can talk to them and warn them not to do it again.
Personally, I don't believe beating a child with cane is always effective in changing their attitude, even though sometimes it works. Some kids are not bothered about being whipped.

Another way you can help your kids increase their self esteem, is by encouraging them more often. This works most of the time as they become more confident in themselves.

My people, please feel free to make contributions to this topic. Thank you[/quote]
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by BlackPeni5: 4:03pm On Mar 27, 2013
Sinju: @OP you mean "the dangers of verbally abusing your kids"

Let us call a spade a spade.

Verbal abuse for humans results in emotional and psychological problems.

To those single and still searching: if you meet someone whose parents verbally abuse dem, ready yourself to deal with the consequences.

To parents: if your goal is to raise emotionally stable children, refrain from verbal abuse.

To those who live abroad: although you were raised in a culture where verbally abusing your kids and others is acceptable, this can get you in more trouble with the law when you decide it is normal to verbally abuse the "cousin" you sneaked in to help with the your kids. Read the stories of all those convicted for "slavery". The evidence of verbal abuse (goat, bush animal etc)was used to convinced the jury.

The Bolded is very true. Once had a GF who was a victim of verbal abuse as a child. She was extremely aggressive and was very insecure. Had to take to my heels.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 27, 2013
occam:

You van correct a child without insulting. How would you feel if your boss insults you instead of explaining what you did wrong and then correct you.

This our Nigerian mindset has to stop. Just be firm. Kid get it
if I say " my child stop behaving like a goat" to me that's giving the child an example of how she/he is acting. Na wa oooooooo shey na this una wan bring up children? If he goes out and another person calls him a cow he'll hang himself. Better bring up your children realistically or else bullies will target them everyday.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 4:07pm On Mar 27, 2013
adexsimply: ok ma'am..but if you went thru wat me and my two siblings(even my mum 2) are still going thru..u wuldnt plan to do wat u mentioned above to any of ur children..i COULD still go with the bold-en part though
why is that? I've threatened it twice and my child seems to be in the best of behaviours. But please, enlighten me. I feel for you sha. Seems like your dad is the King and everbodyelse the kingsmen. No queen prince and princesses. He's lucky to have you guys sha, some people will rebel.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by andyanders: 4:08pm On Mar 27, 2013

Beautiful contribution.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Fhemmmy: 4:09pm On Mar 27, 2013
occam:

That's just playing. He finds it funny too that's why he's saying it back to you.

Too many Nigerian parent's insult their kids at the slightest offence. Talking to kids is really alien in our society. A child asks a simple question and they tell him/her to shut up and mind his/her business. Nigerians don't like explaining things to children.

I do agree with you on that, even when the adult are wrong, they will never say Sorry . . .
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by maskid(m): 4:11pm On Mar 27, 2013
nyere84: Op, i agree with you.

Meanwhile, i am the...........SIXTH to comment oooo.!!!

Oluwa oshe ooo..!!
Chukwu dalu ooo..!!
Nagwode Allah ooo.!!

JOBLESSNESS
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by kaykay123(m): 4:13pm On Mar 27, 2013
Thank God my mom never spare the cane on us,she has cane for every one of us,and after beating us back then,she will sit you down and tell you what you did was wrong,thank God she did all that,I can't imagine what would have happened ,as parents we should know when to talk to our kids,and when we should use the cane on then,
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Fhemmmy: 4:19pm On Mar 27, 2013
kaykay123: Thank God my mom never spare the cane on us,she has cane for every one of us,and after beating us back then,she will sit you down and tell you what you did was wrong,thank God she did all that,I can't imagine what would have happened ,as parents we should know when to talk to our kids,and when we should use the cane on then,

That is a nice one, but i wonder why our parents then are so quick in beating with cane. . . tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Men Are The Cause Of Moral Decadence & Indecency In Our Girls Today / A Thread To Celebrate Our Mothers On Mother's Day / Pls Help Me I Have Anger Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.