Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,796 members, 7,820,794 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids (16390 Views)

Nigerian Taxi Driver Suspended For Insulting Gay Passengers Kissing In His Cab. / Pictures to prove that parenting works best by lying constantly to a child. / My Pal's Wife Cheats Constantly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by adexsimply(m): 4:19pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ada Nri1: why is that? I've threatened it twice and my child seems to be in the best of behaviours. But please, enlighten me. I feel for you sha. Seems like your dad is the King and everbodyelse the kingsmen. No queen prince and princesses. He's lucky to have you guys sha, some people will rebel.
imagine if sumone deprives u of wat u luv most? I for example, i'm always scared of getting injured in the eyes or palms--reasons
1)i can't imagine a live without reading books(eyes)
2)i cant imgine live without coding(programming)---(fingers)
--nw try to imagine if sum1 threatens to take those two assets 4rm me if i dont empty all my account savings...?
thats just the same thing that happens with ur child...u threatened to deprive him of wat he probably mostly derives satisfaction from....
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by occam(m): 4:19pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ada Nri1: if I say " my child stop behaving like a goat" to me that's giving the child an example of how she/he is acting. Na wa oooooooo shey na this una wan bring up children? If he goes out and another person calls him a cow he'll hang himself. Better bring up your children realistically or else bullies will target them everyday.

I will never compare my child with a goat. Why not simply tell him to behave himself. Adults in Nigeria must be respected. True that. Kids too must be respected

Bullies abound in schools and sadly kids are forced deal with it. However, children that have respectful and open conversations with their parents are more likely to tell their dad/mum about the bullying. If you insult your kid, he/she may be hesitant to report bullying in case you call him a "weak goat"
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Fhemmmy: 4:23pm On Mar 27, 2013
occam:

I will never compare my child with a goat. Why not simply tell him to behave himself. Adults in Nigeria must be respected. True that. Kids too must be respected

Bullies abound in schools and sadly kids are forced deal with it. However, children that have respectful and open conversations with their parents are more likely to tell their dad/mum about the bullying. If you insult your kid, he/she may be hesitant to report bullying in case you call him a "weak goat"

Very well said . . .

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by adexsimply(m): 4:25pm On Mar 27, 2013
occam:

GBAM!! how could i report any bully(ies) to my DAD, when i can't even defend my younger sis anytime she's being wrongly accused by him(DAD)?
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by kaykay123(m): 4:30pm On Mar 27, 2013
Fhemmmy:

That is a nice one, but i wonder why our parents then are so quick in beating with cane. . . tongue

@ Fhemmy I think the cane was the best they could do with back then,and I believe they couldn't stand seeing there kids go astray,that's why they tend to use the cane.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by eriegua83: 4:33pm On Mar 27, 2013
Spare the rod and spoil the child. The west still have the highest nos of emotional unstable children that grows to adults, so I don't subscribe to their ways of discilpine nor ours in Nigeria its too extreme moderation is better. A stroke or two is enough and it musn't be with all our strenght but most important the child should know why he is being punish so that he can take responsibility for his action but the cane should come as the last option.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 27, 2013
occam:

that's you and I respect that. And you got me wrong in assuming that my mom nicknamed us goats and adds it to anything negative she wants to say. 2ndly, we are very very close to my parents inspite of everything, we understood then that she was just correcting our misdemeanors. 3rd You can't do anything about a classmate bullying your child, even after reporting to their parents.your child has to find a way to deal with it when it happens and you won't be there.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 27, 2013
adexsimply: imagine if sumone deprives u of wat u luv most? I for example, i'm always scared of getting injured in the eyes or palms--reasons
1)i can't imagine a live without reading books(eyes)
2)i cant imgine live without coding(programming)---(fingers)
--nw try to imagine if sum1 threatens to take those two assets 4rm me if i dont empty all my account savings...?
thats just the same thing that happens with ur child...u threatened to deprive him of wat he probably mostly derives satisfaction from....
in my child's case he has an option of getting it, but there's a condition. Its just basically teaching him/her to live with and respect our rules or else cheesy
In your own case any1 who tries to take those things from u or any1 is cruel. It can't b justified. I'm just saying a holiday is not the end of the world, but your sight and your hands! There's nothing that can replace 'em for you
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 4:44pm On Mar 27, 2013
eriegua83: Spare the rod and spoil the child. The west still have the highest nos of emotional unstable children that grows to adults, so I don't subscribe to their ways of discilpine nor ours in Nigeria its too extreme moderation is better. A stroke or two is enough and it musn't be with all our strenght but most important the child should know why he is being punish so that he can take responsibility for his action but the cane should come as the last option.
you've just summerised everything I've been saying on this thread. MODERATION!!!!
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 4:46pm On Mar 27, 2013
occam:

why is that in teaching show me is advocated instead of tell me? When u see a picture of how bad you're behaving you will despise and change quickly #I'm just saying.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by nickelkid(m): 4:56pm On Mar 27, 2013
I believe everyone has a conscience. We obviously know our rights and wrong, but what if the kid no longer fears the rod. What do you do?
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by adexsimply(m): 4:56pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ada Nri1: in my child's case he has an option of getting it, but there's a condition. Its just basically teaching him/her to live with and respect our rules or else cheesy
In your own case any1 who tries to take those things from u or any1 is cruel. It can't b justified. I'm just saying a holiday is not the end of the world, but your sight and your hands! There's nothing that can replace 'em for you
ppl can still survive without those(sight and hands)..while i can't...the point i wnt to make is...know ur wards' weak points and strong points, if you do, u don't need insults and canes..despite the age diff btw my once-wayward younger bro and I(8 years diff), i ve not beaten him up to 3 times, and he still respects me more than he does my DAD and MUM..wanna knw the reason 4 dat? I UNDERSTAND HIM and i can proudly say i aided his change for better...my younger SIS(4 years diff) is generally known for her insulting behaviors--> she has never insulted me, and i ve only beaten her once(i was aroun 10 yrs then)-->wanna knw the reason 4 that? i understand and knw how to handle her without being CRUEL...
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by occam(m): 4:58pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ada Nri1: [b]why is that in teaching show me is advocated instead of tell me? [/b]When u see a picture of how bad you're behaving you will despise and change quickly #I'm just saying.

Don't understand this. pls explain
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by adexsimply(m): 5:05pm On Mar 27, 2013
nickel kid: I believe everyone has a conscience. We obviously know our rights and wrong, but what if the kid no longer fears the rod. What do you do?
thank you 4 that question o.. i ve seen so many kids with that SYNDROME o--Indifference to Cane
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 5:14pm On Mar 27, 2013
occam:

Don't understand this. pls explain
while studying chemistry, they tell u about the chemicals and all, but they don't stop there. They take you to the lab and show you those chemicals and explain most of those things in your note book.
In PHE, they draw football field, Tennis court and all, but to get a better understanding they bring you to the stadium and show you.
Sometimes, when someone is overacting you tell the person if I could show you a video of how you're acting now, you'll be embarassed.
what I mean by show me, is that mnemonics make for better understanding. Not that goat is the best example, I'm just saying it shouldn't be the reason why a child should tip over the edge or topp himself off
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 27, 2013
Assumin parents,adults no d effect of dis den,I don't think de will continue doin it.its ignorance.I was a victim of such till I graduated frm university.as small as I was(primary school)my mum transfered fatherly role to my elder bro.4 yrs ahead of me.he wasn't livin wit us den but anytime he visits home,mumsy will tell him all I did wrong from d last time he visitd.each offence attracts serious trashn.I'm a very fair person and I still hv some of d marks.it got to a point ....anyway to cut d story short,it marred my r/ship wt my bro.no matter how I try to build it it will fail.my mum b4 her demise was very bitter abt d whole stuff but wat will she do.how can she right it? Too late.d guy still c's himself as doin his rightfl duty.pls,pls pple,d way u talk,infact any thing u r doin b4 a child u got to be very careful cos de grow wit it.I've also seen a stepmum transform d first woman's son into a slowpoke.initially I tot he was born like dat but on stayn wit dem for like some months I noticed she don't beat him but can use her mouth very well.he was 15 yrs and in prim 5 and of course always last in class. I noticed also dat d boy takes anytin abt me very serious.so I utilized d opportunity.I tot him how to wash his cloth,sweep comp,wash his daddy car and before I left he has improvd in his class work.(U no wat,d step mum was not happy)d dad cald me outside one day and was thankin me,cryin...u c pple,wit these two diff scenerios,u will agree wit me dat watever u feed a child is wat will come out frm d anus. thanks everybody

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 27, 2013
dowjones: *so a quality thread like this can still grace the front page*

my dad is paying the price of his insults and curses cos none of his children talk to him and his wife was inches away from leaving him before she died...lonely old man always naggin on the phone.
Not everybody should be parents, so many people will do alot of good to world by not raising children because they simply transfer thier hate on to thier offspring.
I plan not to have children (or get married) i fear i will do worse but i see failures in parenting and marriage trying to change my mind. Cold world.

DowJones my man. No, you're only looking at half the picture. It's a beautiful world.

You are not responsible for your dads actions. You are only responsible for your own.

The way he treated you is not a function of your value as a person. Please don't let it colour your outlook on life. 'Normal' parents don't act like that, just look at it in a way, that he had a deep-rooted problem that he couldn't handle. Even pity him.

Maybe some event in the past filled him with hate. And unfortunately you bore the brunt. Do you want resentment and pain to turn you into another him?

I read a quote sometime ago that I will never forget, it is by St. Augustine. it goes thus: "Resentment is like taking poison and hoping that the other person will die".

If something happened to your memory today, would you still live in pain over what your dad did in the PAST? The past is dead. It's just a story in your head now. It's like a dream - gone. As if it never happened.

If you read this post, PM me. I'll send you something that will really be of help. Cheers bro.

Life is beautiful.

1 Like

Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 5:19pm On Mar 27, 2013
adexsimply: ppl can still survive without those(sight and hands)..while i can't...the point i wnt to make is...know ur wards' weak points and strong points, if you do, u don't need insults and canes..despite the age diff btw my once-wayward younger bro and I(8 years diff), i ve not beaten him up to 3 times, and he still respects me more than he does my DAD and MUM..wanna knw the reason 4 dat? I UNDERSTAND HIM and i can proudly say i aided his change for better...my younger SIS(4 years diff) is generally known for her insulting behaviors--> she has never insulted me, and i ve only beaten her once(i was aroun 10 yrs then)-->wanna knw the reason 4 that? i understand and knw how to handle her without being CRUEL...
that's exactly what I'm saying. You know what is working for you and you do it. I know my children don't like doing another person's chore so I use it to threaten and it works.I know too much beating or punishment doesn't work, that's why I talk, talk and talk before I act. Believe me children are very wise. They know when your resolve is weak or strong and they test you. You just have to learn them and stay one step ahead
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 5:24pm On Mar 27, 2013
eriegua83: Spare the rod and spoil the child. The west still have the highest nos of emotional unstable children that grows to adults, so I don't subscribe to their ways of discilpine nor ours in Nigeria its too extreme moderation is better. A stroke or two is enough and it musn't be with all our strenght but most important the child should know why he is being punish so that he can take responsibility for his action but the cane should come as the last option.

Look at the 'results' my dear friend. Do abused African kids turn into 'better' adults than their western counterparts?
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by adexsimply(m): 5:33pm On Mar 27, 2013
Ada Nri1: that's exactly what I'm saying. You know what is working for you and you do it. I know my children don't like doing another person's chore so I use it to threaten and it works.I know too much beating or punishment doesn't work, that's why I talk, talk and talk before I act. Believe me children are very wise. They know when your resolve is weak or strong and they test you. You just have to learn them and stay one step ahead
good
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by eriegua83: 5:41pm On Mar 27, 2013
Much more better adults. Eg someone just wakes up pick a gun, goes to the school the mom teaches nd starts shooting. This and many more is the end result of negligence, if u read my post and u don't have problems to understand what u ve read u will know I said MODERATION. U don't ve to beat them like criminals and animals and u don't ve to turn a blind eyes nd deaf ears to their wrong its even more dangerous. If u don't bend them to the kids u want them to be,cos I believe every parent wants the best for his child, if the child turns out bad its ur fault cos ur methods are either too strict or u re negligent.
Richfella:

Look at the 'results' my dear friend. Do abused African kids turn into 'better' adults than their western counterparts?
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Emmalex771(m): 5:46pm On Mar 27, 2013
I bet it this thread is basically me buh despite the cruelty of my Dad which is late now, I can tell you that laying curse or abuse of any kind isn't d best thing to do to your children. Deprive him/her of dat which he/she likes most.

Buh I most commend yu guyz hav contributed a bunch.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by hardbody: 5:54pm On Mar 27, 2013
xynerise: what about calling them Antelope? undecided

If you call them antelope, they will win races at the olympics. Ask Hussain Bolt, they kept calling him antelope, hare, horse, etc and today, you know the result
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 27, 2013
dowjones: *so a quality thread like this can still grace the front page*

my dad is paying the price of his insults and curses cos none of his children talk to him and his wife was inches away from leaving him before she died...lonely old man always naggin on the phone.
Not everybody should be parents, so many people will do alot of good to world by not raising children because they simply transfer thier hate on to thier offspring.
I plan not to have children (or get married) i fear i will do worse but i see failures in parenting and marriage trying to change my mind. Cold world.
don't ever allow d past to lord u dear.it will no mske u a beta person.instead fill evrywia wit lv.don't hate him.show him u u can b diffrent. My case so much affecctd me I wantd to comit suicide.I had to b rushe d to hospital for evacuation of all d rubish I swallowd so I can die.I hated men.find it had to b intimate wit d opposit sex.I can manufacture any reason to scare possibl suitors away frm me and dey were plenty.it got to a stage I stopd goin home cos I wouldn't no wat reason to give again.if I heard dat my bro is in town,I don pick race.its just d grace of God,strenght of good friends dat made me change my mind.untill I met my husband,he completly changed evrytin abt me.I lv my bro,had d best mum(still miss her)and I pray one day my bro will change.he is comin around though.so pls don't be bitter,soround urself wit positive things and u r good to go.a big hug
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by dannydolly: 6:17pm On Mar 27, 2013
I believe if the parents understand their children's individual differences, they will know the best ways to apply discipline amongst them.
Some kids require serious caning with 'stood down' or 'cigar obo' (remind me of my parents) to instil discipline in them, while in some kids, just some soft words wll change them for real. Take the time to understand your kids and you will know the best way to correct them. ***My submission***
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Fhemmmy: 6:19pm On Mar 27, 2013
kaykay123:

@ Fhemmy I think the cane was the best they could do with back then,and I believe they couldn't stand seeing there kids go astray,that's why they tend to use the cane.

Kinda make sense, but men, was not easy receiving those lashes of canes oh
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 6:51pm On Mar 27, 2013
The worst tin dat can ever happen to a being is having it tough wit his or her moda... PARENTS, WATCH YOUR TONGUE WHEN CORRECTING YOUR CHILDREN. Simply beat dem, den call dem back and EXPLAIN to them Y u did the beating. Refrain from shouting them down: i promise my kids d best dad in the world..
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Nobody: 6:55pm On Mar 27, 2013
Spare the rod and spoil the child
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Litmus: 7:01pm On Mar 27, 2013
nickel kid:
No one likes being insulted, especially not your kids. Many times parents tend to insult their children when they get angry. This has a very bad effect on the children mentally as it tends to lower their self esteem a great deal.
Moreso, it weakens your relationship with them.

Insulting your kids constantly, drives them away farther from you. They get scared of telling you their secrets because they fear you might use it against them, thereby weakening and reducing the quality of your relationship with them.

I know who's mom told her that she doesn't have a brain and that she probably won't make it in life. She ended up committing suicide. Now tell me, who do you think is responsible for the death of that child.

The question you ask yourself then is, how do you correct them without hurting them(emotionally) or reducing their self esteem?
One thing that works most often is "one on one advice". If your kids make a mistake, you can talk to them and warn them not to do it again.
Personally, I don't believe beating a child with cane is always effective in changing their attitude, even though sometimes it works. Some kids are not bothered about being whipped.

Another way you can help your kids increase their self esteem, is by encouraging them more often. This works most of the time as they become more confident in themselves.

My people, please feel free to make contributions to this topic. Thank you

The benefit of this kind of advice will be wasted on kids whose parents then go on to insult their own country
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by shyvicky: 7:22pm On Mar 27, 2013
my mum calls me all types of name like hawk eyes,hoe teeth,kwashioko,but i never take it like anything instead when my siblings f up i will tell my mum so that she will call them names,and she always tell me she wont come to my house cos i am dirty and my house will be smelling,and i have my fathers brain,but i have graduated and leaving well and she no even remember that kind tin again and i dey even yab am put if she yab be and its fun cos every one laughs so why would u take ur mums scolding serious are u daft?
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by dowjones(m): 8:03pm On Mar 27, 2013
Richfella:

DowJones my man. No, you're only looking at half the picture. It's a beautiful world.

You are not responsible for your dads actions. You are only responsible for your own.

The way he treated you is not a function of your value as a person. Please don't let it colour your outlook on life. 'Normal' parents don't act like that, just look at it in a way, that he had a deep-rooted problem that he couldn't handle. Even pity him.

Maybe some event in the past filled him with hate. And unfortunately you bore the brunt. Do you want resentment and pain to turn into another him?

I read a quote sometime ago that I will never forget, it is by St. Augustine. it goes thus: "Resentment is like taking poison and hoping that the other person will die".

If something happened to your memory today, would you still live in pain over what your dad did in the PAST? The past is dead. It's just a story in your head now. It's like a dream - gone. As if it never happened.

If you read this post, PM me. I'll send you something that will really be of help. Cheers bro.

Life is beautiful.

Thanks for the helpful words, i'm not all gloom and pessimism...there's a reservoir of hope in me.i try to relate with other people who face similar "opression" growing up. I'll try reach you.
Re: Dangers Of Constantly Insulting Your Kids by Lustig(m): 8:12pm On Mar 27, 2013
pDude: My dad constantly did that shit when we were younger and he is currently paying the price.
how? Explain

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Men Are The Cause Of Moral Decadence & Indecency In Our Girls Today / A Thread To Celebrate Our Mothers On Mother's Day / Pls Help Me I Have Anger Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.