Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:22 AM

Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday (24246 Views)

Pope Francis Kisses And Washes Feet Of Muslim, 4 Nigerian Catholics / PICS:Church Members Carry Their Pastor Because His Feet Must Not Touch The Floor / Maundy Thursday - The Beginning Of Easter Triduum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by politicalpastor: 1:20am On Mar 29, 2013
hurricaneChris: Pope Francis Shows Humility By Washing Legs Of 12 Prisoner!!

Pope Francis has washed and kissed the feet of 12 detainees in a youth detention centre near Rome as part of the Maundy Thursday service.
The Christian ritual takes place on the Thursday before Easter to commemorate Christ’s Last Supper.

Thousands of pilgrims and tourists are arriving in Rome to attend ceremonies during the holy week ahead of Easter.
In a homily, Pope Francis earlier urged priests to do less “soul-searching” and engage more with parishioners.
“It is not in soul-searching… that we encounter the Lord,” the Pope told hundreds of cardinals, priests and bishops in St Peter’s Basilica.
“We need to go out… to the outskirts where there is suffering, bloodshed, blindness that longs for sight and prisoners in thrall to many evil masters.”
Worshippers should “leave Mass looking as if they had heard good news”, he added.

Foot washing replicates the Bible’s account of Jesus Christ’s gesture of humility towards his 12 apostles on the night before he was crucified
During Thursday’s intimate service, Pope Francis washed and kissed the feet of 12 young detainees to replicate the Bible’s account of Jesus Christ’s gesture of humility towards his 12 apostles on the night before he was crucified.
The 12 prisoners included two girls, one Italian Catholic and one of Serbian Muslim origin, local prison ombudsman Angiolo Marroni said ahead of the ceremony.
Some of the prisoners volunteered to have their feet washed, while others were given an invitation to help them overcome their embarrassment, the Catholic News Agency quoted the prison chaplain as saying.
In total, around 10 girls and 40 boys from different nationalities and diverse religious confessions were taking part in Thursday’s Mass at Casal del Marmo on the outskirts of Rome.
The newly-elected Pope has brought a new sense of simplicity to the Vatican.
He has broken with tradition for the foot-washing ceremony, which is normally performed on lay people in one of Rome’s basilicas.
Pope Benedict XVI visited the centre in 2007, but not for the Holy Thursday Mass. Only for the first two years of his pontificate did he perform the feet-washing himself, after which the task was delegated to priests.
Easter is the most important festival in the calendar of the Catholic Church.
On Good Friday evening the Pope will carry a wooden cross and pray at a ceremony at Rome’s ancient amphitheatre, the Colosseum, commemorating Jesus’ crucifixion.
On Saturday evening Pope Francis will celebrate the main Easter Vigil Mass in St Peter’s Basilica.
And on Easter Sunday morning, Pope Francis will deliver his first “Urbi et Orbi” message to the city of Rome and to the world.
During his inaugural general audience on Wednesday, Pope Francis called for an immediate political solution to the conflict in the Central African Republic after last weekend’s coup.

http://www.bellenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Foot-washing-replicates-the-Bibles-account-of-Jesus-Christs-gesture-of-humility-towards-his-12-apostles-on-the-night-before-he-was-crucified.jpg?9fdaf6

what a humility, i hope those nigerian pastors are watching this news, not thinking of enriching themselves.
especially those yearning for private jets in a country where majority cant even afford 3 meal a day.
catholic church , here i go. blessed be the name of our lord and holy mary.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by seekingtruth(m): 1:28am On Mar 29, 2013
He should as well go and do that to sinners in hell.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by moodswing(m): 1:28am On Mar 29, 2013
I am no Catholic but I loved Pope John Paul. Pope Benedict made Vatican the biggest mafia organization seconded by Fifa.

Today, Pope Francesco is ordained by God. He is worthy of emulation. I love him already in Christ.

God bless his papacy.

Deo gratia totus tus.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Bonapart(m): 1:44am On Mar 29, 2013
frosbel: Deception.

Jesuits are dangerous.

This MAN wants to bring all Christians under mother church , and guess what, many , many will be deceived.

"For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect." - Mark 13:22
only God knows those who at save jst shut up
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by daywatcher: 1:44am On Mar 29, 2013
when are we going to rid ourselves of this relic of colonial rule called religion..
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by HezronLorraine(m): 1:55am On Mar 29, 2013
Humility all the way.Pope Francis has shown he isn't in anyway going to rule like the rottweiler in gandalpo.is the kissing of feet compulsory or is it a catholic sentiment cause in my church(livingfaith),the officiates wash our legs but no kissing is done.whatever all eyes on the pope.the world awaits his verdicts on a lot.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 2:01am On Mar 29, 2013
what a show offgrin
he is now recieving his reward from men.

well,i wont be surprised if i hear he now has bad breadth.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by ekytessy(f): 2:12am On Mar 29, 2013
frosbel: Deception.

Jesuits are dangerous.

This MAN wants to bring all Christians under mother church , and guess what, many , many will be deceived.

"For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect." - Mark 13:22
I know u b boko haram, evil people killing innocent people in d name of muslim, God u judge u and ur group terrorist
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 2:44am On Mar 29, 2013
How is this humility? It appears to me another ritual.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by GalaxyNoteII: 3:11am On Mar 29, 2013
Pope, what about a commoner like me? embarassed embarassed sad

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by HugeMac: 4:04am On Mar 29, 2013
bcomputer101:

You are too young to die.
Learn how to talk to men of God.

And please don't abandon your drugs. You still need to continue using it until when you know how to make good use of your BRAIN... #idi.ot#
everybody is a Man of God but only God knows his man, only God knows the humble dont be deceived by human actions , the truth is in the heart not the action. A pope that is trying to bring all religion under one banner in the name of humanity and not christ, because other religions will never accept christ as saviour, so he is trying to unite them in the name of false peace and not christ. THE ANTI- CHRIST WILL NOT COME WITH HORN AND START KILLING CHURCH GOERS, NO HE WILL DECEIVE MANY WITH GOOD DEEDS SO HE CAN ATTRACT THE IGNORANT.
THESE ARE THE LAST DAYS NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER. FOLLOW CHRIST NOT MEN
GOD BLESS

2 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 4:12am On Mar 29, 2013
see the prisoner's face sef grin grin
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by barman: 4:16am On Mar 29, 2013
moodswing: I am no Catholic but I loved Pope John Paul. Pope Benedict made Vatican the biggest mafia organization seconded by Fifa.

Today, Pope Francesco is ordained by God. He is worthy of emulation. I love him already in Christ.

God bless his papacy.

Deo gratia totus tus.

May Jesus give u more wisdom 2 understand d words of Yahweh
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 4:35am On Mar 29, 2013
False humility to be seen by men. He has his reward: The 2 million catholic followers.

"Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly." (NKJ)

3 Likes

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Queeniekruuz(f): 4:50am On Mar 29, 2013
Oh oh dat's kul.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by kalunomics(m): 5:37am On Mar 29, 2013
Bidam: False humility to be seen by men. He has his reward: The 2 million catholic followers.

"Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly." (NKJ)
point of correction, 2 billion not 2million

The ceremony is done by all leaders of catholic church all round the world. So, to drive away your ignorance. It's the church ritual and the pope being the leader of the church of Rome is kinda mandated to perform it.
That's if you really want to know, but it's obvious all you care about is to discredit any action the pope takes. For it to be envisaged as hypocrity but ur doing it in a foolish way. Get smarter and come back to look for gullible nairalanders to deceive
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by kalunomics(m): 5:41am On Mar 29, 2013
There's nothing the gates of hell will do to prevail over the church of christ. You all think you are the first? You are all learners and what befell your blasphemous ancestors awaits you too after your death. Goodluck with that!
It's never too late to turn a new leave.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Mologi(m): 5:44am On Mar 29, 2013
Start 4rm d begining,sycophants and stupid animals enclothed like human has always been saying bad words against JESUS CHRIST and THE CATHOLIC CHURCH,but guess wat,dey are always been shameful and nonchantly trail 2 hell.lng live Our new Papal Francis 1
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Acidosis(m): 5:46am On Mar 29, 2013
buhahahahahahahaha....

What the hell is this?? grin grin grin
omg omg *wipes tears*

of what significance is this crap?? grin

So we all can start walking around kissing feets when virtually ALL humans lack the real deal - HUMILITY..

Jesus has already explained the ACT, he didn't tell us to start kissing feets and anything just to show our humility!
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by felixzo1(m): 5:47am On Mar 29, 2013
pirate1: SO, am gonna have to be the one who says it huh?

This old man clearly has a foot fetish, and clearly gets off on the fact that he can do it in public. How else would you explain this orchestrated plot to kiss mens feet while the public looks on. All this wrapped in morality while the media watches.

I like to wash womens private parts. Young women under 30, will the media watch me do it and reward me for this kind act of humility?

it surprises me how sentimental people could be and reason. just because it is not ours, it is not good, no matter what he does.for a example just give a Nigerian pastor the post of a pope a a few weeks and see what will happen. pope Francis was under no obligation to wash the feets of prisoners but he did, and his two predecessors did never that.every body clams to be living according to the bible teaching but we do not love our selves or our neighbour, hatred is everywhere. Christ greatest commandment.. love your neighbours as yourself.there are some facts you should know about the church. catholic church existed for about 1500 years before there was divisions in the church.presently the church is only 2000 years, that means more than 70 percent of the existence of christianity , the body of Christ was one .most of this Nigerian churches are even less than 30 ears old, . but i am confused was the body of Christ living in darkness before your church was Establishment?

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Cheks01(f): 5:49am On Mar 29, 2013
May our Lord give him more wisdom n strength 2 contnue leadin His Holy church in humility. God bless u my Pope
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Acidosis(m): 5:49am On Mar 29, 2013
Mologi: Start 4rm d begining,sycophants and stupid animals enclothed like human has always been saying bad words against JESUS CHRIST and THE CATHOLIC CHURCH,but guess wat,dey are always been shameful and nonchantly trail 2 hell.lng live Our new Papal Francis 1

Jesus christ I know, Catholic church I know not.

Some of you guys would get to heaven looking & searching for your church and the bill board grin

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Acidosis(m): 5:53am On Mar 29, 2013
felixzo1:

it surprises me how sentimental people could be and reason. just because it is not ours, it is not good, no matter what he does.for a example just give a Nigerian pastor the post of a pope a a few weeks and see what will happen. pope Francis was under no obligation to wash the feets of prisoners but he did, and his two predecessors did never that.every body clams to be living according to the bible teaching but we do not love our selves or our neighbour, hatred is everywhere. Christ greatest commandment love your neighbours as yourself.there are some facts you should know about the church. catholic church existed for about 1500 years before there was divisions in the church.presently the church is only 2000 years, that means more than 70 percent of the existence of christianity , the body of Christ was one .most of this Nigerian churches are even less than 30 ears old, . but i am confused was the body of Christ living in darkness before your church was Establishment?

Lol... Its not about the number of years...

Satan (Lucifer) is older than catholic church yet he's an enemy of God..

Your assumption based on the number of years is uncalled for.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Leaknigerianews(m): 5:56am On Mar 29, 2013
This pope is a good one,
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 5:59am On Mar 29, 2013
kalunomics: point of correction, 2 billion not 2million

The ceremony is done by all leaders of catholic church all round the world. So, to drive away your ignorance. It's the church ritual and the pope being the leader of the church of Rome is kinda mandated to perform it.
That's if you really want to know, but it's obvious all you care about is to discredit any action the pope takes. For it to be envisaged as hypocrity but ur doing it in a foolish way. Get smarter and come back to look for gullible nairalanders to deceive
ok my bad..2bil..never knew hell hath enlarged her parameters.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Is It Normal To Pray Before Sex? / Archbishop Valentine Obinna Tears Posters Of Politicians In Owerri. Photos / Is The Expression, "God Helps Those Who Help Themselves Biblical"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.