Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,919 members, 7,810,531 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:39 AM

Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday (24216 Views)

Pope Francis Kisses And Washes Feet Of Muslim, 4 Nigerian Catholics / PICS:Church Members Carry Their Pastor Because His Feet Must Not Touch The Floor / Maundy Thursday - The Beginning Of Easter Triduum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Slickest(m): 8:24am On Mar 29, 2013
Omo na der dem fit dey kiss feet oo...if he comes 2 kirikiri in lagos he has 2 use dettol 2 wash dose legs...I doubt he'll touch those legs....

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by pillzthadrugz(m): 8:27am On Mar 29, 2013
Pls who is JUDAS amongst the prisoners

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Reference(m): 8:30am On Mar 29, 2013
Bidam: False humility to be seen by men. He has his reward: The 2 million catholic followers.

"Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly." (NKJ)

The question is: Is the Pope doing or teaching. Because when you teach you want as much exposure as possible. When Jesus did similar I feel it was a combination of both. Remember its said 'the things he began to do and teach.'

If Pope Francis did that in his closet (and am sure he does) how will you and I learn.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by maasoap(m): 8:35am On Mar 29, 2013
Billyonaire: The Pope washing the legs or Prisoners and kissing their sinful legs depicts the humility of Christ Jesus, we witnessed such gesture a few weeks back when GEJ pardoned Alamco.
And to imagine that this poor fellow was telling someone to use his brain. My people, see analogy above. Typical sycophant.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Sweetapple007(f): 8:44am On Mar 29, 2013
mr.official2:

He didn't say anything is wrong with what the pope did. He only pointed out that it looks gay, which I also agree with him.
may God deliver u frm anti christ amen.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by alluson(m): 8:50am On Mar 29, 2013
frosbel: Deception.

Jesuits are dangerous.

This MAN wants to bring all Christians under mother church , and guess what, many , many will be deceived.

"For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect." - Mark 13:22
u ar almost intelligent and i no wan say make thunder fire u cus 2day z holy friday...God 4give him cus he dont knw wot he z doin
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Sweetapple007(f): 8:56am On Mar 29, 2013

Jesuits are dangerous.

This MAN wants to bring all Christians under mother church , and guess what, many , many will be deceived.

"For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect." - Mark 13:22
even the devil qoates the bible!

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Vivaciousnj(f): 8:57am On Mar 29, 2013
Lord, give ♏e the Grace of HUMILITY.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Efikman(m): 9:04am On Mar 29, 2013
hurricaneChris: Pope Francis Shows Humility By Washing Legs Of 12 Prisoner!!

Pope Francis has washed and kissed the feet of 12 detainees in a youth detention centre near Rome as part of the Maundy Thursday service.
The Christian ritual takes place on the Thursday before Easter to commemorate Christ’s Last Supper.

Thousands of pilgrims and tourists are arriving in Rome to attend ceremonies during the holy week ahead of Easter.
In a homily, Pope Francis earlier urged priests to do less “soul-searching” and engage more with parishioners.
“It is not in soul-searching… that we encounter the Lord,” the Pope told hundreds of cardinals, priests and bishops in St Peter’s Basilica.
“We need to go out… to the outskirts where there is suffering, bloodshed, blindness that longs for sight and prisoners in thrall to many evil masters.”
Worshippers should “leave Mass looking as if they had heard good news”, he added.

Foot washing replicates the Bible’s account of Jesus Christ’s gesture of humility towards his 12 apostles on the night before he was crucified
During Thursday’s intimate service, Pope Francis washed and kissed the feet of 12 young detainees to replicate the Bible’s account of Jesus Christ’s gesture of humility towards his 12 apostles on the night before he was crucified.
The 12 prisoners included two girls, one Italian Catholic and one of Serbian Muslim origin, local prison ombudsman Angiolo Marroni said ahead of the ceremony.
Some of the prisoners volunteered to have their feet washed, while others were given an invitation to help them overcome their embarrassment, the Catholic News Agency quoted the prison chaplain as saying.
In total, around 10 girls and 40 boys from different nationalities and diverse religious confessions were taking part in Thursday’s Mass at Casal del Marmo on the outskirts of Rome.
The newly-elected Pope has brought a new sense of simplicity to the Vatican.
He has broken with tradition for the foot-washing ceremony, which is normally performed on lay people in one of Rome’s basilicas.
Pope Benedict XVI visited the centre in 2007, but not for the Holy Thursday Mass. Only for the first two years of his pontificate did he perform the feet-washing himself, after which the task was delegated to priests.
Easter is the most important festival in the calendar of the Catholic Church.
On Good Friday evening the Pope will carry a wooden cross and pray at a ceremony at Rome’s ancient amphitheatre, the Colosseum, commemorating Jesus’ crucifixion.
On Saturday evening Pope Francis will celebrate the main Easter Vigil Mass in St Peter’s Basilica.
And on Easter Sunday morning, Pope Francis will deliver his first “Urbi et Orbi” message to the city of Rome and to the world.
During his inaugural general audience on Wednesday, Pope Francis called for an immediate political solution to the conflict in the Central African Republic after last weekend’s coup.

http://www.bellenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Foot-washing-replicates-the-Bibles-account-of-Jesus-Christs-gesture-of-humility-towards-his-12-apostles-on-the-night-before-he-was-crucified.jpg?9fdaf6
I am moved by this humility. This is one of the reasons i admire the catholics especially Pope.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:10am On Mar 29, 2013
Most people here don't seem to know that this is a catholic ritual that is being performed every GOOD FRIDAY. If you attend mass on GOOD FRIDAY you will notice that. There are usually a selected individuals that get their feet washed but I guess the Pope decided to wash the feet of sinners/commoners. May the almighty bless his Papacy.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 9:14am On Mar 29, 2013
jk
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 9:15am On Mar 29, 2013
dammytosh:

Read about him. The pope is humble to a fault.

As arch bishop, he takes a public vehicle to work every morning (He is entitled to a LIMO)

He does not live in the palace

He cooks his food alone.

etc.
So?
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Efikman(m): 9:16am On Mar 29, 2013
frosbel: You can help the poor for all you like without love, many people do it for show.

Even Paul knew this was possible.

"If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." - 1 Corinthians 13:3

When you are committing treason against the Son of GOD , all your good works count for zilch and will burn up to ashes on the last day.

The only LOVE that is real LOVE is GOD's LOVE.
Even Lucifer quotes the bible so don't deceive us with your mumbo jumbo. Are u any better than the man u condemn?
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 9:17am On Mar 29, 2013
Sweetapple007: even the devil qoates the bible!
Bros na quote naaa!!
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Delafruita(m): 9:19am On Mar 29, 2013
hurricaneChris: Tears dropped my eyes as I watched this! If the Pope has such love for prisoners, who are we as a country not to pardon our ex-convicts who have shown remorse.

"A new commandment I give you; love ur neighbor as I have loved you"
see massive folly.were those prisoners released from prison or granted state pardon
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 9:24am On Mar 29, 2013

Jesuits are dangerous.

TRUE!
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by monex(m): 9:33am On Mar 29, 2013
mr.official2:

He didn't say anything is wrong with what the pope did. He only pointed out that it looks gay, which I also agree with him.

I agree with you and this is one of my problems with homosexuality: it will redefine human relations.

before we (Nigerians) understood what homosexuality was about, this action would not have been mis-connoted. I tell U, a time will come when U might be thot to be gay because u hug a fellow guy.

i hear some countries have already defined marriage as a union between two people in love.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by folahann(m): 9:36am On Mar 29, 2013
Oyedepo how far now.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Jimmyblaze(m): 9:36am On Mar 29, 2013
¤When i was hungry you gave me to eat¤ ¤ When i was thirsty you gave me to drink¤ ¤ When i was naked you shelter me¤ ¤ When i was sick you came to my help¤ ¤ When i was in prison you visited me¤ Now you have enter the home of my father.......... What so ever you do to the least of my brother that you do unto me! POPE FRANCIS DE 1ST MAY YOU LIVE LONG WITH YOUR GOOD WORK. Amen. [color=]¤When i was hungry you gave me to eat¤ ¤ When i was thirsty you gave me to drink¤ ¤ When i was naked you shelter me¤ ¤ When i was sick you came to my help¤ ¤ When i was in prison you visited me¤ Now you have enter the home of my father.......... What so ever you do to the least of my brother that you do unto me! POPE FRANCIS DE 1ST MAY YOU LIVE LONG WITH YOUR GOOD WORK. Amen. [/color]¤When i was hungry you gave me to eat¤ ¤ When i was thirsty you gave me to drink¤ ¤ When i was naked you shelter me¤ ¤ When i was sick you came to my help¤ ¤ When i was in prison you visited me¤ Now you have enter the home of my father.......... What so ever you do to the least of my brother that you do unto me! POPE FRANCIS DE 1ST MAY YOU LIVE LONG WITH YOUR GOOD WORK. Amen.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by jjwaterfalls(f): 9:36am On Mar 29, 2013
Red-Light:
kinda gay undecided
. Abeg can u kindly make good use of ur eyes and see that the people in that pic are not only male. He also did same to females.
I am not a catholic but I really think this idea of one church denomination criticising the other is really not a good thing. We all preach about unity,this Is one little thing we can all do for ourselves and for once not use government as an excuse.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 9:41am On Mar 29, 2013
Don't let anyone deceive you in any way. For that day will not come unless the apostasy comes first and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction.He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God's temple, proclaiming himself to be God - 2 Thessalonians 2:3 - 4

The Temple here is GOD's people , he sits above the people of GOD in the temple claiming to be GOD.

Cardinal Sarto, who became Pope Pius X, said this:
The Pope represents Jesus Christ Himself...i

In 1512 Christopher Marcellus said this to Pope Julius II:
Take care that we lose not that salvation, that life and breath which thou hast given us, for thou art our shepherd, thou art our physician, thou art our governor, thou art our husbandman, thou art finally another God on earth (emphasis added).iii

Just recently, in 2004, Bishop Patrick Dunn of Auckland said this:
"It seems that Pope John Paul II now presides over the universal Church from his place upon Christ's cross.iv

The Gloss of Extravagantes of Pope John XXII says this:
But to believe that our Lord God the Pope the establisher of said decretal, and of this, could not decree, as he did decree, should be accounted heretical (emphasis added).v

I will not be deceived by the MAN of SIN , in fact he has been around for over 1000 years in the form of the office he occupies and has done more damage to the cause of Christ than any other religion, group or people

We will not bow before the Pontifex Maximus , his lies and deceptions.

The Doctrine of Papal Infallibility is UnBiblical

It is clear that "the Popes have never reproved or rejected this title"xii of blasphemy and flattery, but the Bible does not support the belief of papal infallibility. It declares that "all of sinned and come short of the glory of God" (Roman 3:23). This includes the Pope. These boasts of the Papal State fulfill the Bible's prediction of what the Antichrist power would do:
And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws...(Daniel 7:25).

And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months. And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven (Revelation 13:5-6).

Source
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by badassnigga(m): 9:43am On Mar 29, 2013
show with no meaning ...total crap.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by bunmila(f): 9:45am On Mar 29, 2013
mr.official2:

Bt Christ did it too. So wht exactly r u sayin
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by sKeetz(m): 9:46am On Mar 29, 2013
This iS getting more interesting every second.....I love this debate
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by dwas: 9:46am On Mar 29, 2013
I don't want to comment because care must be taken when talking about an ordain man of God, but couldn't help it. If the Pope has been living a humbly life before now, if he has been washing feets or something similar, then there is no cause for alarm. But if his life style is contrary to his recent found christlike example, then you should observe him for sometime. By their fruit you will know them. The true him will soon surface.
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 9:48am On Mar 29, 2013
bunmila:
Bt Christ did it too. So wht exactly r u sayin

So the Pope is now Christ ? SMH.

Besides Jesus did it in a small room with only his disciples present , and to show them that if he their master could do it , they should do it to each other.

False religion always does things for show , while true religion does things in secret and out of true humility.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by deols(f): 10:00am On Mar 29, 2013
c++_crazy:
u shouldn't be replying frobel cos he is a muslim with mazeje... Thought they said muslims don't bash christian thread, guess that deols of a lady is a hypocrite

You keep drooling over my name. Frosbel is a christian..

Wouldnt mind having him in our fold though.

Frosbel dear, you are welcome smiley
Re: Pope Francis Washes Prisoners' Feet On Maundy Thursday by Nobody: 10:10am On Mar 29, 2013
deols:

You keep drooling over my name. Frosbel is a christian..

Wouldnt mind having him in our fold though.

Frosbel dear, you are welcome smiley

Thank you my dear, but I have found life and it is in Christ Jesus.

He beckons you to come and sup with him.

Peace wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

12 Characters You'll Meet In Any Campus Fellowship / Elections Will Be Free And Fair – Pastor Kumuyi / The Lord's Supper And The 144,000 Anointed Jehovah Witnesses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.