Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,625 members, 7,816,574 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (265) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1493852 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:10pm On Mar 12, 2016
chidarl85:

Hello Chilanfarms, I tried to contact you on whatsapp but couldn't get to u.
# maybe network problem. Drop ur line will contact u.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:22pm On Mar 12, 2016
pharmsy:

When you say easy to manage, in what sense? Is the profit margin better with earthen? Thanks
... Fish in earthen pond grow faster than concrete especially wen they r small. Fry moved to earthen pond grow faster dan those in plastic or concrete tanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:53pm On Mar 12, 2016
nony92:
Are you based in the south - south or south-east part of Nigeria?
Are you in need of cat fish fingerlings (Fast growing pure Clarias Gariepinus) For your fish farm?
Pls contact me (nonso) on 08169849877
It goes for 10 naira each.
We have over one million catfish fingerlings for sale!!!
... Contact ASAP!!!
wao 1 million hmmmmm... I need #30k juvenile nextweek. U can contact me on 07065874135
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 11:03pm On Mar 12, 2016
excelsiorfarm:
there are antibiotics sold for fish aquaceryl etc. and the human tetracycline is also ok for use. though I don't know the size of your pond, what type of pond i.e. concrete or earthen etc, if not earthen use 4-6 capsules depending on water volume. Essential that your pond has enough oxygen and this you could easily achieve by doing dripping or changing water. It is also crucial to know that the effect can disappear, but you should continue a good water mgt. If you can lay your hands on aquapro, it keeps your fishes healthy and give meaningful growth
Welcome back boss.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:40am On Mar 13, 2016
fzero:

Welcome back boss.
Bro i wasn't on vacation. What i do is come & read through & when i see that d op with all u gurus are doing great job, i simply come back another time. Moreover almost all enquiry & possible solutions can be seen from d over 2-3 years work that had been achieved from the beginning of d thread, except a question is skipped due to work or looks like emergency issue,then i might write. The op & everyone is doing great service to the nation & the labor of love shall not be in vain in Jesus Name, Amen.

4 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 9:27pm On Mar 13, 2016
chilanfarms:
... Fish in earthen pond grow faster than concrete especially wen they r small. Fry moved to earthen pond grow faster dan those in plastic or concrete tanks.
You are very correct @Chilanfarms. This is so coz fish in earthen pond are expose to the following:
1) Semi natrural habitat: This is coz earthen pond seems to be a natural habitat for them as if they are in the wild. The only difference is that they arte in a confined enironment.

2) Access to live feeds: They prey on aquatic animals like daphnia, red worm, earth worm, insects, water fleas, zooplankton, phytoplankton and e.t.c. which aid their fast growth because it doesn't culminate into overfeeding.

3) Access to aquatic plant to feed on: These plants are also called hydrophytes or macrophytes. Fish in earthen ponds feeds on aquatic plants like algae, water hyacinth, e.t.c.

4) Access to more space: The stocking density in earthen pond is mostly very good.

Wishing you all the very best!!!

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 10:22pm On Mar 13, 2016
Ttalk:
Please where is Mr Ab1x, we have missed your contributions on this forum.
I remember you talked about industrial borehole that uses less or no power to pump, please kindly explain how it work or the number of the drilling industry for contact
It's called SPRING BOREHOLE. Whr is your location? Contact NUVEMBARZ FARMS on +2348027247470 if interested... Thank you!!!

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 11:17am On Mar 14, 2016
NUVEMBARZINTL:

It's called SPRING BOREHOLE. Whr is your location? Contact NUVEMBARZ FARMS on +2348027247470 if interested... Thank you!!!

My Oga i'm much interested i will give you a call but for the benefit of people on this program i will want to know if it can work in the northern part of the country where drilling goes as deep as 100metres
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by faithikalumhe: 3:07pm On Mar 14, 2016
my Fish will be 5 weeks old by Wednesday my manager is making change the water every week and this is affecting me economically. my question is how often can i change the water i use earthen pond. i am new in this forum
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 6:48pm On Mar 14, 2016
faithikalumhe:
my Fish will be 5 weeks old by Wednesday my manager is making change the water every week and this is affecting me economically. my question is how often can i change the water i use earthen pond. i am new in this forum
... why change water in earthen pond every week?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sosolid007: 11:46pm On Mar 14, 2016
Hello All,

Just wanted to inform the house that we successfully hatched on Friday 11th March 2016. The female weighed 6.5kg and the male 4.5kg. Unfortunately the female died later. We are based at Ondo state.

If you are interested in the fingerlains or Juvelines let me know. You can contact me on 0903756332 BAKOBA FARMS

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Emmafe(m): 11:47pm On Mar 14, 2016
ab1x:

Before it can work, you need to get borehole expert to determine the formation of the land. You don't need submersible pump machine before it works. After drilling, the water will come out naturally from the borehole, you only need pipe to channel the water into the pond.

I follow the thread bumper to bumper. Just that I am very busy with other day to day activities.

Please how much does that cost?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cleavon(m): 11:49pm On Mar 14, 2016
atoleybaba:
is it an imported feed and hoow much is it? Can I get it at sabo market in ikd?

Am in kaduna in sabon..if you please I will love to learn from you since you are close..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 12:38am On Mar 15, 2016
Ttalk:

My Oga i'm much interested i will give you a call but for the benefit of people on this program i will want to know if it can work in the northern part of the country where drilling goes as deep as 100metres
It can be done anywhere sir. The three factors to be considered are:
(1) If the land area is a water logged area eVen though it can be done on some dry land too.
(2) If the land area is not rocky.
(3) If the underneath water pressure is high enough to spring up.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aquadude15: 3:28am On Mar 15, 2016
ab1x:

Call Alabi 08133313479
thanks sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atoleybaba(m): 5:55am On Mar 15, 2016
cleavon:

Am in kaduna in sabon..if you please I will love to learn from you since you are close..
am in sabo of ikorodu not kaduna cheesy

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aleshsenior2000(m): 3:16pm On Mar 15, 2016
On behalf of me and my entire staff of Shams Aquatic Foods and Great Courage Concept. I say Happy Birthday to Mr Roland. Aka Robonski. Wish you LLNP.
Aleshinloye
Aquabren Member

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 5:18pm On Mar 15, 2016
Happy +1 to my good friend, partner, the founder of this educative thread; #Roland (a.k.a. Robonski). May the rest of your life be seasoned with grace. #LLNP IJN

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by peperempe22(f): 5:42pm On Mar 15, 2016
Would never forget the bitter lesson an uncle of mine learnt with this business, not saying it isnt lucrative though. my nucle lost almost half his investment.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Oduugo(f): 5:56pm On Mar 15, 2016
[quote author=vickifeanyi47 post=43697469]Hello house, I'm new in fish farming. please I'm constructing a locally made tampaulin pond on my own to safe cost ..I need clarification on how to go about the outlet..I mean what do I use to create outlet and also which tampaulin do you think last. seems I purchased the inferior one..mtcheeww..thanks ( I bought mine at Mushi Lagos, firstly you need black in and white out tapaulin, seconddlly, you will check if its strong by tring to tear it from the side. There are many types in the market, nice one is between 1300 to,1,500 per yard for longer one of 16ft and between 800 to 900 per yard for 10ft]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by tobbyte(m): 7:13pm On Mar 15, 2016
Happy birthday to a mentor....mr roland...aka robonski....may God continue to bless d work of ur hand.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by NUVEMBARZINTL(m): 10:39pm On Mar 15, 2016
peperempe22:
Would never forget the bitter lesson an uncle of mine learnt with this business, not saying it isnt lucrative though. my nucle lost almost half his investment.
That was a sad one there my brother. But as sad as it might look like, there are lessons for your unce to learn which will help him in the future. My brother, fish farming is like every other business where lies PROFIT if and when well handled or DEBT, if and when handled with no knowledge of the business. I laugh whenever I read those articles/write up that tells people to invest 100k into fish farming to reap 500k. It's all LIE & DECEIT. Fish farming business is like a COMPUTER DEVICE (garbage-in, garbage-out). You'll only get what you give. I want to assume that the very production you were refereing to might e his first ever cycle. But permit me to tell you that there are lots of fish farmers that still incur loses even after their 1st, 2nd or 3rd cycle of production simply because they are leaving some stones unturned. Can your uncle holistically in all fairness scrutinise and take stock of his management routine. Are you sure that he really fed those fish well at when due? Did he supervise his workers when feeding them (if he has any) to be sure that they aren't selling his feed or using it on their own personal farm? (I've seen such before). Did he feed them with good feed? Is the feed ok? Aren't they deprived of the essential nutrients that they need in their feed? Was his water mgt ok? If your answer to these questions is YES, then pls, I'll advice you to be mindful of folloing...

FACTORS TO CONSIDERED TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN FISH FARMING BIZ:
(1) GOOD SEEDLINGS: Ensure that you get your stocks from a trusted source.
(2) GOOD WATER MGT REGIME: Change water at when due
(3) REGULAR SORTING: Sort your fish per size to different ponds
(4) FEEDING REGIME: Feed them with quality feed regularly
(5) BUILD THEIR IMMUNE SYSTEM: Don't wait till your fish come down with infection. Apply antibiotic to their feed once or twice a week and multivitamin,once a week so that they don't easily come down with infection
(6) ELIMINATE STRES: Don't stress your fish in case of sorting or otherwise. Apply anti-stress after each sorting exercise
(7) AVOID TOO MUCH ADVICE FROM DIFFERENT QUARTERS: There exists lots of computer farmers out there that have never touch a fish before yet, they'll tell you everythg about fish farming. They are QUACKS!!! Bad consultants...
(8 ) BOOK KEEPING: Keep daily record of your farm activity. Keep record of your expenditure. Endeavour to weight your fish every 2wks to ascertain their growth.

WIshing you all the very best!!!

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by cleavon(m): 12:05am On Mar 16, 2016
Am about start catfish farming but I don't know about the feeding plan and timetable..can someone help me with the plan of feeding from hatching. The time to start giving them foreign feed and local feed, the time to start feeding them floating and sinking feed.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:40am On Mar 16, 2016
I just asked a friend the price of imported fish meal 72% protein and he said 50kg goes for 41,000 meaning 820naira per kg. What is your take in the use of foreign fishmeal in feed composition. Ab1x, excellesoir, Soft777, Nuvembarz, Robonski, Ayosat and my respected gurus please come and do justice to this pressing question
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by peperempe22(f): 11:37am On Mar 16, 2016
NUVEMBARZINTL:

That was a sad one there my brother. But as sad as it might look like, there are lessons for your unce to learn which will help him in the future. My brother, fish farming is like every other business where lies PROFIT if and when well handled or DEBT, if and when handled with no knowledge of the business. I laugh whenever I read those articles/write up that tells people to invest 100k into fish farming to reap 500k. It's all LIE & DECEIT. Fish farming business is like a COMPUTER DEVICE (garbage-in, garbage-out). You'll only get what you give. I want to assume that the very production you were refereing to might e his first ever cycle. But permit me to tell you that there are lots of fish farmers that still incur loses even after their 1st, 2nd or 3rd cycle of production simply because they are leaving some stones unturned. Can your uncle holistically in all fairness scrutinise and take stock of his management routine. Are you sure that he really fed those fish well at when due? Did he supervise his workers when feeding them (if he has any) to be sure that they aren't selling his feed or using it on their own personal farm? (I've seen such before). Did he feed them with good feed? Is the feed ok? Aren't they deprived of the essential nutrients that they need in their feed? Was his water mgt ok? If your answer to these questions is YES, then pls, I'll advice you to be mindful of folloing...

(5) BUILD THEIR IMMUNE SYSTEM: Don't wait till your fish come down with infection. Apply antibiotic to their feed once or twice a week and multivitamin,once a week so that they don't easily come down with infection
(6) ELIMINATE STRES: Don't stress your fish in case of sorting or otherwise. Apply anti-stress after each sorting exercise
(7) AVOID TOO MUCH ADVICE FROM DIFFERENT QUARTERS: There exists lots of computer farmers out there that have never touch a fish before yet, they'll tell you everythg about fish farming. They are QUACKS!!! Bad consultants...
(8 ) BOOK KEEPING: Keep daily record of your farm activity. Keep record of your expenditure. Endeavour to weight your fish every 2wks to ascertain their growth.

thanks for taking the time to write all that.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaisay: 12:31pm On Mar 16, 2016
NUVEMBARZINTL:

is it compulsory you give them multivitamin before they eat?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Businesstools(m): 6:33pm On Mar 16, 2016
@ Robonski15: I have been trying to get your Gelatin feed, but all the distributors within my location (Abraka, Delta State) do not have the pelleted one. How can I order directly? Secondly, please change to contact on the Gelatin Ad to the one you guys pick. I have called the line, 09054672750 more than twenty times without any one answering or returning my calls. Robonski15
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Jswart: 7:31pm On Mar 16, 2016
Hello house. This picture is From a friends farm. What could be the problem. He said they keep dying everyday.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by peetayo: 8:57pm On Mar 16, 2016
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:26pm On Mar 16, 2016
Ttalk:
I just asked a friend the price of imported fish meal 72% protein and he said 50kg goes for 41,000 meaning 820naira per kg. What is your take in the use of foreign fishmeal in feed composition. Ab1x, excellesoir, Soft777, Nuvembarz, Robonski, Ayosat and my respected gurus please come and do justice to this pressing question
# it's no compulsory u use 72 boss. I use yoyo n feather meal.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 9:45pm On Mar 16, 2016
Ttalk:

The current price is 850 naira per KG in my area. Even at that, I still use the fish meal to make my feed, the only thing is that I reduced the %. There is no way you will want result without using the imported fish meal.

(1) (2) (3) ... (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.