Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (355) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1492082 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sirfarouk(m): 8:00am On Jan 08, 2017
Ttalk:

You can use standard pond density to arrive at the number you want tsock

For concrete multiply Lenght X Breath X Height / by 3 will give you square metre. Then stock 5 fish per square metre
For earthen pond stock 2 fish per square metre

For example earthen pond of 50ft X 40ft by 4ft =8,000/3 =2,666sqm X 2 = 5,333

Your pond of 50ft X 40ft x 4ft can accommodate 5,000 fish

However, you have to consider whether your level of water is always at 4ft height throughout your production session.

You consider whether there is continuously inflow and outflow of water into your pond

Whether you are using foreign feed or local feed.

Whether you water pH is at neutral or close to neutral

If those conditions are met then you can optimise your stocking density to 5,000, otherwise you stock 4,000 or below to create allowance for condition you do not meet.

It is a different ball game entirely if you are producing melange

Is the calculation for concrete pond the same as that for tarpaulin pond?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 8:56am On Jan 08, 2017
Ttalk:
5kg at 10,000 naira, that is 2000 naira per kg for starter. 10,800 for 15 kg for grow out at 720 per kg. Fish is sold at 650 and 520 for table size and melange. How are we going to make profit without developing our own method.
Robonsky
Exclessior
Ab1x
Ayosat
Soft 777
Juvefarm
Chilanfarm
Other highly respected contributors not mentioned
People are making losses because of high cost of feed. What is the way out. You inspired many to go into fish farming through your contributions. Dont abandon your people when they need you most.
Just thinking aloud
Good morning

Starter should not be up to that amount you quoted above. Also, as at this morning the price of fish are as follow; big & medium 720, small 620 smallest 580 melange or tiny is 540 and there is every tendency that the price goes up further tomorrow morning. Please note further that the cost of feeding will continue to go down as your fish are growing up. I do advise farmers to repeat starter twice before adjusting it
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:40am On Jan 08, 2017
sirfarouk:

Is the calculation for concrete pond the same as that for tarpaulin pond?

Yes sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by iamphotoshoot(m): 2:31pm On Jan 08, 2017
Hello fellow farmers in the house,

I am in urgent need of post-fries that would sold at the rate 5-7naira each....

If you are in lagos precisely mainland and ypu are willing to sell, you can get in touch with me on 08163984131, that's also my WhatsApp number...

Thanks, or maybe you know anyone that has....
smiley
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ABHAKS: 9:40pm On Jan 08, 2017
Ttalk:

Alright sir, i am ready to share my experience with 10 determined and focus nairalanders. I am based in Abj. Permit me also to screen out those i consider not ready enough for this transformation. 10,nairalanders and we are good to go.

I'm I interested in joining too
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Freeopod(m): 9:51am On Jan 09, 2017
Please my fellow farmers, can u link me up with fish buyers. I have a big Catfish farm around idi iroko, ogun state and I want to sell them off so I can restock. Thanks Yall. My number zero eight zero six seven five nine zero eight nine three
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by vroom(m): 12:29pm On Jan 09, 2017
Ttalk:

Alright sir, i am ready to share my experience with 10 determined and focus nairalanders. I am based in Abj. Permit me also to screen out those i consider not ready enough for this transformation. 10,nairalanders and we are good to go.

Thank God oooo.....i am in abuja as well, where is your farm and when do we start.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by frshwvfarms: 5:24pm On Jan 09, 2017
Ttalk:
5kg at 10,000 naira, that is 2000 naira per kg for starter. 10,800 for 15 kg for grow out at 720 per kg. Fish is sold at 650 and 520 for table size and melange. How are we going to make profit without developing our own method.
Robonsky
Exclessior
Ab1x
Ayosat
Soft 777
Juvefarm
Chilanfarm
Other highly respected contributors not mentioned
People are making losses because of high cost of feed. What is the way out. You inspired many to go into fish farming through your contributions. Dont abandon your people when they need you most.
Just thinking aloud
Good morning

Respect to other contributors above too. This is a positive move. A Bold Gift that keeps giving.
I hope there is a fair cost to learners for your time and knowledge. Not that we won't appreciate free knowledge like we all share on this thread, but, I believe your experience cost you something whether through practical learning (try and error) or formal education. So some of us won't mind if there is a moderate affordable cost to help you channel time and resources to this beautiful endeavor. Please let us know, if any. How long would the training last..I'm guessing it will depends on the person learning skill..May be, allowing hand held device recording as a form of note taking will help. I can sort out who can come from Abj area to represent us - if you'd permit. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 7:32pm On Jan 09, 2017
vroom:

Thank God oooo.....i am in abuja as well, where is your farm and when do we start.

This is how it appear to me

We shoulld divide ourselves into group based on intrerest
Formulate objectives. i.e FORMULATE FEED AT AFFORDABLE COST WITHOUT COMPROMISING THE QUALITY
Then lets break feed component and process and assign the group to carryout their comprehensive research.
We should appoint our ogas to scrutine our report and come out with advice that would form new template for feed production.
Others shoud add their suggestion

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bendims(m): 1:37am On Jan 10, 2017
Hello great farmers in the house.
Ogas in the house, I really need your help. I want to venture into melange production. I have been having challenges.
I believe melange takes 12 weeks i.e. 3 months to mature?
From experience what is usually the average weight of melange (12weeks age) at harvest assuming the fish are reared in a plastic tank with stagnant water?
Please how much does it cost to feed 1 fingerling to melange stage? How many kg of feed will 1 fingerling consume to reach melange stage? What will be the average weight at harvest?
How many weeks do I feed with floating feed before switching to sinking feeds?
I have four 1 x 1m plastic tanks which can take 1000 litres of water. What stocking density do you advise?
Thank you and God bless you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnsonadeolu: 5:59am On Jan 10, 2017
Please what are the positive effect of Aeration on catfish in a concrete pond.

Also, I intend to build a 5 x 25 x 4ft dept in 4 numbers concrete pond, hope 1500 pcs of fish per pond will not be too much.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by genaro2000(m): 6:31am On Jan 10, 2017
genaro2000:
I have fairly used 3500 litres of movable tank or pond for catfish for sale at affordable price. The plumbing work for the outlet of waste water is already done. And also about six to d seven pipes to link to the gutter or wherever to send the waste water. For enquiries please call 08053043786 or 08181017822. Thank you.

Still available
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by pinnocho: 9:00am On Jan 10, 2017
About 1000kg of Catfishes available for sale at Port-Harcourt ranging from 0.3-0.7kg. at competitive price. Call:0810 424 4874 for enquiries.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sirfarouk(m): 10:42am On Jan 10, 2017
genaro2000:

Still available
What is the dimension of the pond and where is your location?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bendims(m): 1:02pm On Jan 10, 2017
Ogas in the house, I still dey wait oh.
I want to venture into melange production. I have been having challenges.
From experience what is usually the average weight of melange (12weeks age) at harvest assuming the fish are reared in a plastic tank with stagnant water?
Please how much does it cost to feed 1 fingerling to melange stage? How many kg of feed will 1 fingerling consume to reach melange stage? What will be the average weight at harvest?
I have four 1 x 1m plastic tanks which can take 1000 litres of water. What stocking density do you advise?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 11, 2017
Please house anyone that has catfish for sale,melunge and Table size should please drop his or her contact number for urgent business .. Location should be Asaba or Benin..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bendims(m): 11:21am On Jan 11, 2017
Johnsonadeolu:
Please what are the positive effect of Aeration on catfish in a concrete pond.

Also, I intend to build a 5 x 25 x 4ft dept in 4 numbers concrete pond, hope 1500 pcs of fish per pond will not be too much.

Your first question was the positive effect of aeration on catfish in a concrete pond. All fishes require dissolved oxygen for optimum growth and survival. Aeration helps you to improve the amount of dissolved oxygen in the pond. The advantage of aeration is that it allows you to stock more fish per unit area. Assuming you used to stock 1500 fish, with aeration you can stock 3000 fish.

Your second question is if you can stock 1500 fish into a 5 x 25 x 4 ft concrete tank. The amount of fish you stock per unit area is known as stocking density. The amount of fish you stock depends on the type of farming you want to do. For instance: fingerling to melange will require less space compared to juvenile to table size.
In general, there are two ways of calculating stocking density. The first is by multiplying the length, width and depth and dividing by 3, then multiplying by either 4 or 5 depending on the system. Since you intend to use aeration, we will use 5.
So the formula is: (L x W x D)/3 x 5
(5 x 25 x 4)/3 x 5 = 833 fish. This is the maximum amount your tank can accommodate.
The second method is by using already defined stocking densities. For instance, stocking density of between 15 and 50 fish/m2 is used in semi intensive production systems.
Since you will be using aeration, your stocking density will be 100 fish/m2.
Therefore, we will need to convert the length and width of your tanks from ft to m.
1 ft = 0.3048 m.
5 ft = 1.524 m
25 ft = 7.62 m.
So the area of your concrete tank is (1.524 × 7.62)m2 = 11.61288m2.
Following the stocking density of 100 fish per m2, your concrete tank can take 11.61 × 100 = 1161 fish.
Therefore your concrete tank can maximally take between 833 and 1161 fishes comfortably.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Johnsonadeolu: 11:52am On Jan 11, 2017
bendims:

Your first question was the positive effect of aeration on catfish in a concrete pond. All fishes require dissolved oxygen for optimum growth and survival. Aeration helps you to improve the amount of dissolved oxygen in the pond. The advantage of aeration is that it allows you to stock more fish per unit area. Assuming you used to stock 1500 fish, with aeration you can stock 3000 fish.

Your second question is if you can stock 1500 fish into a 5 x 25 x 4 ft concrete tank. The amount of fish you stock per unit area is known as stocking density. The amount of fish you stock depends on the type of farming you want to do. For instance: fingerling to melange will require less space compared to juvenile to table size.
In general, there are two ways of calculating stocking density. The first is by multiplying the length, width and depth and dividing by 3, then multiplying by either 4 or 5 depending on the system. Since you intend to use aeration, we will use 5.
So the formula is: (L x W x D)/3 x 5
(5 x 25 x 4)/3 x 5 = 833 fish. This is the maximum amount your tank can accommodate.
The second method is by using already defined stocking densities. For instance, stocking density of between 15 and 50 fish/m2 is used in semi intensive production systems.
Since you will be using aeration, your stocking density will be 100 fish/m2.
Therefore, we will need to convert the length and width of your tanks from ft to m.
1 ft = 0.3048 m.
5 ft = 1.524 m
25 ft = 7.62 m.
So the area of your concrete tank is (1.524 × 7.62)m2 = 11.61288m2.
Following the stocking density of 100 fish per m2, your concrete tank can take 11.61 × 100 = 1161 fish.
Therefore your concrete tank can maximally take between 833 and 1161 fishes comfortably.

Thanks for the well detail answer
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bendims(m): 2:30pm On Jan 12, 2017
The Ogas in the house, Where una dey?.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 5:43pm On Jan 12, 2017
bendims:
The Ogas in the house, Where una dey?.
Average weight is 400 grams , cost about 300 to 350 to raise 1 fingerling to melange depending on the type of feed given, 5 weeks floating 7 weeks sinking to cut cost.(good sinking feed). maximum for 1000 liters (150). Note melange is good for large stocking like 3k up.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jay99(m): 6:50pm On Jan 12, 2017
Hello nairalanders, do you want to invest in catfish farming and you don't know how to go about it? Kindly contact me for your step to step guide on catfish management. This material will help you through the startup stage to maturity stage. It contains how much to start running an efficient catfish farming, type of feeds to use at every stage of the catfish growth, drugs and supplements to aid growth of your catfish, different of ponds available for catfish farming etc. Call me now on 08161668884 or jayosh45@gmail.com to get this material.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bendims(m): 12:33am On Jan 13, 2017
fzero:

Average weight is 400 grams , cost about 300 to 350 to raise 1 fingerling to melange depending on the type of feed given, 5 weeks floating 7 weeks sinking to cut cost.(good sinking feed). maximum for 1000 liters (150). Note melange is good for large stocking like 3k up.

Thank you Sir. Do you farm melange sir? Everyone is into the business to make profit.
Assuming I spend 300 naira to feed 1 fingerling to melange, how much will I sell the melange of 400 grammes?
Current market price of melange is 500/kg
Therefore, the price of 400 g of melange will be 400/1000 × 500 = 200 naira.
That is a loss of 100 naira.
I need further explanation Sir.
Thanks and God bless you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bilag17(m): 4:16pm On Jan 13, 2017
frshwvfarms:

Thanks again TTalk..I would appreciate it if you can quote one for me, please. However i am more interested in purchasing from a very reliable person with a proven safe formula
You have great point. There are multiple gains in creating Cooperative for CatFish farmers to patronize and support few authentic local producers and distribute some trusted foreign feed as well as addressing other important concerns such as fair marketing prizes towards sustainability. I strongly support encouraging local feed production to boost job creation and fortify us farmers against fluctuating economy and exchange rate. Imagine not finding the feed you so much depend on because of sudden importation exchange rate or total ban for whatever reason? Such moves will devastate farmers, their families and consumers alike. In support of your view, I am interested in farmer's exchange where we can bring your locally manufactured feed for distribution to farmers as a reliable source. The same place can serve as one stop for stock sales and distribution as well as feed marketing. This idea can encourage talented feed producers to continue producing good feed. The benefit will be reduced feed cost and a reliable trusted marketing location for farmers. We must consider ways to allow this exchange to earn something to facilitate all these activities that are critical to our overall success as a community of farmers. Everyone win when you factor each talent/tool/labor.
Your interest has been a concern for consideration. I have been using own local pelletized feed for years, and the result has been an encouragement to me. If interested, we can come up with an arrangement that may be a local fish feed solution, not only to us, but also to other fish farmers around us.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by yomiknows: 6:59pm On Jan 13, 2017
I don't think it's possible to do solely melange farming and make a profit with the current price of feed. Just my point of view, I may be wrong

bendims:

Thank you Sir. Do you farm melange sir? Everyone is into the business to make profit.
Assuming I spend 300 naira to feed 1 fingerling to melange, how much will I sell the melange of 400 grammes?
Current market price of melange is 500/kg
Therefore, the price of 400 g of melange will be 400/1000 × 500 = 200 naira.
That is a loss of 100 naira.
I need further explanation Sir.
Thanks and God bless you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by simplyFish: 11:45pm On Jan 13, 2017
cool thanks for the info....but ow can som1 enroll for d training @songhai pls...God bless yuo plenty
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by davidsthe(m): 10:19am On Jan 14, 2017
Ttalk:

good day sir, I've been a silent observer of this thread for a while now. please I'd like to learn from your experience as indicated as expressed below. I stay in dutse makaranta part of fct my whatsapp no 08067177672 I hope you will find a place in your experience for me to lean on. thank you sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by yomiknows: 6:46pm On Jan 14, 2017
Does anyone have melange for sale in Lagos/Ibafo/mowe axis?
Pls call me on 08055024782 if you do
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by demisho(m): 8:24pm On Jan 14, 2017
Plan to partake, it's promised to transform your initiative about agribusiness and it's a free seminar. Remember the best things in life comes free of charge, you have nothing to loose and everything to gain from this seminar. Plan to be part of it. For more information don't hesitate to contact me.

https://www.nairaland.com/3572399/redefining-potential-agribusiness-strong-sme

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 8:48am On Jan 15, 2017
@Ttalk pls how many times should i feed my fishes using local feeds. i currently feed them two times in a day n i experience 2 deaths every time i change water. i change my water every three days. kindly advice.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by yomiknows: 10:24am On Jan 15, 2017
melange catfish urgently needed in Mowe/Ibafo/Berger & Sagamu axis.
Please share your phone no if you intend selling.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by papakm(m): 11:14am On Jan 15, 2017
Call dis number "08033020724 or 08066154334 location Iju isihaga
yomiknows:
melange catfish urgently needed in Mowe/Ibafo/Berger & Sagamu axis.
Please share your phone no if you intend selling.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 4:32pm On Jan 15, 2017
Busayo1981:
@Ttalk pls how many times should i feed my fishes using local feeds. i currently feed them two times in a day n i experience 2 deaths every time i change water. i change my water every three days. kindly advice.
What is the size of your pond, what is average size of your fish. How many fish are there in the pond?

(1) (2) (3) ... (352) (353) (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.